Odd PS3 hard drive replacement Q. How did my 22GB of stuff use 58GB?

Snake2715

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
I recently bought a 400 gb WD internal drive. It was meant to replace my 40gb systems drive.

Now I know that 400=/= 400. Its somewhere around 372 GB, no problem there.Last night I backed up the drive and installed the new drive.

On the old 40gb I had 37 GB total as available (that makes sense), and I had 15 GB free. So I was using about 22 GB total of the original 40GB drive. 37GB -22GB =15 GB.

I swapped the new drive in and all is working well. Now when I got done restoring the system info shows that I have 314 GB free from 372 GB available?

This is where I am confused... That is 58GB used... My old drive was not even 58 GB and it was just over half full... how is 58GB being used?

Anyone run into this before? Again I am not counting from 400GB I am counting from the 372 GB.

I did synch my trophies but I have very few as its not a driving force when I play games...

Is it possible some sectors of this new drive are bad? If so would it still show 372 available?

Where else could 58GB of info have went?

Any help or ideas would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OS takes up space for its own uses as far as I recall, noticed that when I swapped my 60 for a 500 GB.

So when we have a 40GB the drive is actually bigger?

See the issue is I know 400GB is really 372.. but when i have only 314 left that seems impossible... I mean I had previously had 15GB left on a 37GB drive in my PS3. I changed nothing, except replacing the drive and re synching the trophies... how is that leavbing me with only 314? 372-314 = 58GB!!

No, the 40gb is only 40gb. What happens the is the PS3 reserves space proportional to how big of a hard drive you have. So, it will take more if you have 400gb than if you have a 40gb. It reserves space for caching, buffers, etc.

Ok i went and reformatted the drive. I think this is excessive. My 400 GB is = 372 due to calculations we all know that.

However on a clean install with nothing on the system and a clean reformat it only has 330 GB free... so the PS3 takes 42 GB of my 372 GB for system info and buffers? What a joke, I only had a 40GB hard drive to start with and it worked fine on that drive I cant believe they would take excess of 42 GB now.

Anyway.

Similar thing happened to me. Its % based I guess (I upgraded to 300gb). Sucks cause it used twice as much initially, but I am still filling it with crap and its taking it well.

[quote name='Thomas96']I would love to hear someone from Sony try to explain this mess..[/QUOTE]

trying to find any more info on this on the net is nuts... most places are talking replacement but dont talk the aftermath of how much more you lose.

The PS3 takes up a percentage of your hard drive, not a standard amount. Unsure about the percentage, but I googled it once and I found the answer in about 5-10 minutes.

[quote name='mis0']The PS3 takes up a percentage of your hard drive, not a standard amount. Unsure about the percentage, but I googled it once and I found the answer in about 5-10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

what is it used for? Is it similar to virtual memory or what?

it is a percentage amount like others have said. I think it sets aside a certain percentage as a buffer. I could be completely wrong though :p

The PS3 reserves about 12% of the actual space for system usuage. In larger hard drives, you would think it would be less, but it still uses 12%

I asked in one of those and never got an answer so i made my own thread...

seems to happen a lot. reminds me of the MW2 thread I have asked questions in and dont get any response... :.)

[quote name='Snake2715']I asked in one of those and never got an answer so i made my own thread...

seems to happen a lot. reminds me of the MW2 thread I have asked questions in and dont get any response... :.)[/QUOTE]Yeah, I'm trying to visit those threads more often to help people out.

bread's done
Back