Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - $14.99 - 6/27: Move/3D Update Out Now

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
Just Add Water (JAW) is thrilled to announce the return of the critically-acclaimed Oddworld series - with an enhanced remake of the award-winning Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath coming to PlayStation®3 next Easter.

Originally released in 2005, first- and third-person action-adventure Stranger’s Wrath marks the multi-million-selling series’ first appearance on a PlayStation® console since 1998’s Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus. The game will be made available as a digital download via PlayStation® Network.

Stewart Gilray, Managing Director of JAW, said: “Since word got out that we’ve been working with Oddworld Inhabitants there have been many rumours circulating about what we’re working on. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is the first project in what we believe will be a long and fruitful relationship. Having the chance to update this great title and release it on PS3 is just a brilliant opportunity, not least for us, but for the fans too.”

JAW has worked closely with Oddworld founders Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna to ensure the remake is faithful to the original moolah-chasing epic, while offering a raft of enhancements, including: stunning 720p visuals; much more detail in the characters; normal mapping and self-shadowing; re-mastered dialogue, support for PlayStation®Move; and additional bonus material still to be revealed.

In Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, players step into the role of the Stranger, a rough and tumble bounty hunter who tracks down outlaws for moolah. Using a special weapons system that gives a whole new meaning to "live" ammo, players encounter deviant species and hostile challenges along the way.

The 2005 original has a Metacritic rating of 88, was nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Animation at the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' Interactive Achievement Awards, and received numerous awards from the gaming press.
It's nice to see this partnership giving this game a second chance on PSN.

Enhanced port with HD graphics! I'm in (for the right price)! :D

EDIT: and the great thing about this port is that the original was an Xbox game and it looked great then so an enhancement in HD of that should be a real treat for us when it's released.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']No shit, I was just about to buy this at GameStop.[/QUOTE]
Lies. You can't find this shit at Gamestop. I've been looking for it everywhere (NOT that seriously) a while back and hearing this news was sure awesomeness. Can't wait!

LOVE this game! Was actually considering replaying it but now I shall wait. So excited! (now remake Abe's Oddyssey and Exoddus with HD graphics!)

I am psyched, this was an awesome game that didn't get nearly enough love (although that applies to nearly all oddworld games).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/oddworld-strangers-wrath-inhabits-ps3-this-summer/

JAW's aiming for a summer release for this remake.[/QUOTE]
Nice, will love to replay this in HD + trophy support. This game did not get enough love when it was on the original x-box. It's one of those gem's that is really good yet original. Actually come to think about it, I think my dad bought it because he was running out of shooters to play on the original x-box and I tried it and loved the hell out of it, lol.

Holy crap, awesome. I've been wanting to play this ever since I saw the Game Informer preview YEARS ago. I was tempted to get the Oddbox, but heard scathing reviews on how it was a poor port. Hopefully the PSN port is a better handled one.

I am pretty excited to be able to play this game! I was upset when the game went to xbox exclusively because I really wanted to play it. Now it seems I will get my chance with a new and improved version. Best gaming news I have read in awhile. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96sfTjqCDpA

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/09/15/debut-trailer-oddworld-strangers-wrath-hd-for-ps3/

An update on the game with a trailer to show off the upgraded visuals:
Hey everyone! It’s been a while since we visited these hallowed halls to talk about our upcoming PS3 and PS Vita game Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD. If you’ve been following the game’s development closely, you may have caught our announcement that we delayed the release of Stranger’s Wrath HD on the PS3 into the summer from its intended spring release. While summer is almost at an end, we wanted to tell you that the game is in the final part of development right now. We’re in beta and fixing bugs, and doing some last-minute optimizing where we can.

It’s been a long road for us, and we’ve made a whole truck full of updates. We’ve updated EVERY one of 83 characters in the game, the vast majority of the environmental textures, and a lot of the environment geometry. We’ve also completely updated the user interface, added some easter eggs into the game, and a whole raft of unlockable extras — some never seen before, and some rarely seen.

To celebrate being at the end of the development cycle for Stranger’s Wrath, we wanted to share this trailer with you. The trailer looks great but the game looks better: you just can’t capture 60 frames-per-second action in a web trailer!

We hope you enjoy the trailer and we’ll be back very soon to share full release details with you.

As someone who purchased The Oddboxx on Steam within 30 seconds of it being available I highly suggest that you all wait-and-see with this release.

The Steam version of Stranger's Wrath is still all but broken for ATI users. The entire Oddboxx is $14.99 on Steam and I'm going to take a wild guess that SW alone on PSN will be at least $9.99 if not that same $14.99 so there's that as well. (the PSN HD update/assets will be added to the Steam version in a free patch)

I adore this IP and I really hope that Just Add Water nailed it now that they've had more than 5-6 months time but the saga of The Oddboxx, what it was originally supposed to be, and what ended-up getting released is heartbreaking.

Buyer, sadly, beware. :cry: (I want it to be good and I will gladly double-dip if it is but I'm apprehensive to say the least after being burned)

http://www.jawltd.com/?p=967

Development is complete and JAW has detailed all of the features and improvements:
Characters
• All 84 character models have been updated with increased polygon counts and higher resolution textures.
• This includes all three variations of Live Ammo: Those in the environment, those on the Crossbow and those in the General Store.
• Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.
• Professor Dimble now has glasses and an academic tome.
• Jo’ Mamma has a deeper voice.

Environments
• All environments have been given higher resolution textures.
• Most vegetation has been updated with increased polygon counts and/or higher resolution textures.
• A lot of environment is now reflected in water where it didn’t before.
• Pipes and barrels rounded.
• Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body, as it is in the opening CG Cinematic.
• Sekto’s Office has been changed to more closely resemble than seen in the CG Cinematic.

Audio
• All game audio (voice, sound effects and music) have been upgraded to 16-bit 44KHz from 8-bit 11KHz or less!
• Support for 5.1, Dolby Digital and DTS.
• New female voices have been recorded for two characters.

Display
• Everything now runs at 720p, 60 FPS, widescreen.
• All UI menus have been updated with a new design based on original unused concepts.
• Textures added to stamina and bounty bars.
• Save game GUIs replaced with standard PlayStation 3 interface.
• New posters now occupy the inventory menu when no bounty is accepted.
• MLAA – Full screen PS3 only anti-aliasing

Difficulty
• All armour upgrades now actually increase Stranger’s health.
• Added difficulty levels to the game: Easy, Medium and Hard.
• In easy mode, Stranger has twice the health; Enemies have half the health and stamina, and their stamina recovers half as fast.
• In hard mode, Stranger has a third less health and enemies take a bit more to kill

Unlockables
• 37 trophies: 23 bronze, 8 silver, 5 gold, 1 platinum
• 18 of these are brand new, not in the PC port.
• Unlockable concept art and movie extras for completing each region of the game.
All that's left is to announce a release date and pricing.

I always wanted to play this game,but the 360 backwards compatibility prevented that and I heard the PC version was sadly just a port of the xbox version.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/12/07/oddworld-strangers-wrath-hd-comes-to-psn-december-27th/

Hey everyone, it’s that time AT LAST! I wanted to first thank you all for your patience, it’s been a long wait, but at the same time it’s been even longer for us. We’ve been working on Stranger’s Wrath, one way or another for around 15 months now. From the initial discussions, to actually starting work on the project true, to then getting it done!

As most of you may know we originally planned to release the game around Easter, to be able to do that we were to have started full development in September last year, but as it transpired, we didn’t actually start until April 2011, which gave us our hoped late Summer release; but we ended up spending another couple of months on it, so here we are DONE AND DUSTED for release.

As such I’m extremely pleased to announce that Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD will release on December 27th in North America for $14.99. And we will be releasing worldwide! (all stores, except for the Far East/Russia/Ukraine and Portugal at this time).

We had planned on shipping with support for stereoscopic 3D and PlayStation Move and a few other little things, due to time limits we are not able to bring those features in this initial version. However we WILL be bringing them in an update in a couple months’ time, along with some other little extras we’ve got planned.

One of things we’ve been asked a lot over the past few months is if Stranger’s Wrath HD has a Platinum trophy, of course it does. This is a big game and can easily take at least 12+hrs to complete.
I'm disappointed that Move support won't be there, but at least they announced that ahead of time unlike some other developers and publishers.

They mention in the comments that they're planning to support cross-platform saves with the Vita version, but that they're not going to be able to offer the Vita version for free to those that buy the PS3 version.

I want the PSVita version more than the PS3, so it appears I'll be waiting...unless there's remote play and/or a deal for PS+ members.

Wow, only about a year later. I still have this in my Xbox backlog. I figured this would have been released by now. Don't have Munch's Odysee so that would be nice to have an HD port.

I hope the PS+ discount isn't free maybe a penny or 95% off price. So that when my PS+ subscription runs out I can still play them by the time I have enough money to renew that subscription.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Don't have Munch's Odysee so that would be nice to have an HD port. [/QUOTE]

Eh, from what I remember, you're not missing much. This game is fantastic. Munch's... I played through completion, but pretty disappointing from what I recall.

[quote name='leveskikesko']Might seem petty, but I wish this was a disc release.

Not too keen on buying digital, especially when it costs 15 bucks.[/QUOTE]
There may be a disc version released, but chances are you'd have to import it from the UK. They've had physical versions of some DLC only games from here release there. There was a disc version of Ratchet & Clank: Quest For Booty and a weird anime-ish fighter or something that released(name eludes me right now). Funny thing is, that fighter was $30 just to download on PSN here, but the disc version was about half of that to import.:roll:

But yeah, I'm with you. For anything over $5-10 that shit better jump outta my screen, dance around and maybe even more. But they see people are buying these "HD re-releases" of games and even the download versions in mass numbers, so the more people buy the more these companies will release at gouged prices.

Waiting for the PS Vita version. This definitely seems like something that will be far more fun when not attached to a TV and living room.

There was a great interview on the PS Blogcast with Stewart Gilray from Just Add Water and Lorne Lanning of Oddworld Inhabitants, which they mentioned that the Move/3D update for this game was coming later this month.

They also talked about the Vita version of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. They mentioned some of the controls for it. To switch between 1st and 3rd person, you touch the screen with both of your thumbs. Melee is done by tapping the back touchpad. Zooming in and out with the sniper scope is done by pinching in and out. The port was started about five weeks ago and the guy that's doing the port had never touched a Vita before, which took him about a week or so to figure out how to work with the Vita and get it running. It'll be in beta by the time that E3 starts and they're hoping to have that port done and ready for release by late June if everything goes perfectly.

The PS3 version of Oddworld: Munch's Odyssee is expected to be going to QA in four weeks, so that should be coming along in June if all goes well.

http://www.oddworld.com/2012/06/stranger-hd-ps3-patch-next-week/

The big update will be released next week:
Next week sees the long-awaited patch to Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD go live on PSN. The first time you run the game after the patch launches, you’ll automatically download and be able to enjoy all the latest features and fixes, including:

3DTV support

Scour the wilds, ruins and hideouts for scumbag Outlaws with the latest stereoscopic broadcasts from the Mongo River. Oddworld has never had so much D!

PlayStation Move support

Immerse yourself in the action by pointing and firing from your very own crossbow. (Note: Your PlayStation Move controller is unlikely to resemble a crossbow.)

Video recording and uploading

Record your victories, failures and candid moments straight to your PlayStation 3, and upload them directly to your YouTube account.

Brightness & Gamma controls

No need to visit Doc for a new pair of eye-spectacles, now you can change the visibility of the very world around you with our brand new sliders.

Audio fixes

Tired of lazy Townsfolk cutting themselves off mid-sentence? Fed up with soft-spoken Live Ammo? Is the soundtrack to your adventure jolted, often absent? Never fear! Our audio fixes fix your audio!

Increased crosshair visibility

9 out of 10 bounty hunters say they prefer our newer, opaquer crosshair. “It’s so much easier to see!” said excited Corn Jaws of New Yolk City.

Fixed Quicksaves and Autosaves

Before, you could only load full saves from the Load Game screen. But now you can revert back to your most recent AutoSave and QuickSave for added convenience.

Extra subtitles

The accessibility of Western Mudos has taken a step up with the introduction of additional gameplay-relevant subtitling in English, French, Italian, German and Spanish.

Performance Improvements

Ask at your local General Store or Black Market for all available improvements to your experience of life.

The patch launches at the very start of 27th June in the UK (1 am for most of Europe, 7 pm on the 26th Eastern Daylight Time, 4 pm on the 26th Pacific Daylight Time). In the meantime, enjoy the patch’s official trailer, now available to download from the PlayStation Store.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da9qw4KW8EM

Most excited for the audio fixes. I'm the guy that goes around talking to everyone multiple times to hear all their dialogue, and it was frustrating how often it got cut off.

Might replay with the Move to try and get some of the trophies I missed too (won't buy any unnecessary upgrades so I have enough Moolah for that one trophy too).

bread's done
Back