Oddworld Stranger's Wrath

Komentra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Vita version is coming out tomorrow according to the PlayStation Blog. I've never played ANY of the Oddworld games. Are they any good? And does anyone know what the price point for this will be?

Just saw this, this will be an hour-one purchase for me! Stranger was a break from the other Oddworld formulas by being a FPS. What's cool is that your ammo is derived from the "critters" roaming the environment (all with primary and secondary ammo). This will be my third time purchasing this game and I'll be happy to do it.

I suspect the price will be $15.

The original Oddworld was a love of mine - I still think it's terrific and now that I know it too is being remade I'm pretty excited. I haven't tried Stranger's Wrath but being Vita friendly and in the same universe I'll be tempted to take it for a spin.

Picked up the Vita version and the controls are terrible. You know those little indents on the back of the Vita? Well, this game expects you to uncomfortably slot your middle fingers in there as a single tap of the rear touch will make you do a punch while in first-person. Things get even worse after you buy the binoculars as you have to "pinch" the rear touch to activate them. What this means in practice is that the game becomes unplayable, because simply resting two fingers on the rear touch counts as pinching. So don't buy the binoculars.

I'd really like to know who's to blame for this monstrosity -- Sony or Just Add Water? This game feels like it should've come out at launch but supposedly they didn't start working on it until right after. Maybe they decided then and there that this is how Vita games are supposed to be made and never felt the need to alter the control scheme. What irritates me most is not only that these touch controls could've been handled better, but that there simply wasn't any reason for them in the first place with 3 unused d-pad buttons.

I really hope they issue a patch at some point, but right now I wish I had spent those 15 dollars on Tokyo Jungle instead as it now supports remote play.

Have you tried changing the control scheme? I haven't gotten the binoculars yet but I know there's quite a few different control options available.

I've only played like 30 minutes of the game but I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. Seems like my kind of game.

I dunno if there's a fix for the binocular issue in particular, but there's a dev (I think) posting on the Neogaf thread and he said:

"When we get back in the New Year we're actually doing a couple of things for Stranger's Wrath HD...

A VITA update with some tweaks, and a couple of fixes (inc. the flickering sky), and a new feature (A first for ANY Oddworld title)"

Hopefully they will give an option to ditch the rear touch altogether. I personally havent had an issue with it yet but like I said I've just barely played it.

My biggest complaint about the vita is the back touch screen. While I love the idea behind it and it does seem useful for certain situations, it simply makes the device too difficult to hold comfortably for games that make heavy use of it.

Buying a grip for the vita helped quite a bit but I still have issues with hitting the back panel while playing.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']My biggest complaint about the vita is the back touch screen. While I love the idea behind it and it does seem useful for certain situations, it simply makes the device too difficult to hold comfortably for games that make heavy use of it.

Buying a grip for the vita helped quite a bit but I still have issues with hitting the back panel while playing.[/QUOTE]

From the neogaf thread in the post above, the devs are going to make the back touch screen a double tap and/or give option for mapping it to different buttons.

I was going to hold off until that was fixed but it's not that bad for me and the game is amazing. Looks incredible and really plays well. I was also impressed that the Dev team was posting a lot in the neogaf thread here. Folks complained about the rear touch and he almost immediately said they would make a change. Check the quotes below.

Here are the quotes from the game developer "GoldenHelmet" is his forum handle:

"as for the read touch pad, how about we make it double tap for melee, so it's not accidental?"
____

"We've been debating about the rear touch controls, and will likely address this in January for you all ;-)

As well as a little surprise :D"
____

"We are doing an update in Jan/Feb so could possibly look at locking it at 30fps tops."

____

"When we get back in the New Year we're actually doing a couple of things for Stranger's Wrath HD...

A VITA update with some tweaks, and a couple of fixes (inc. the flickering sky), and a new feature (A first for ANY Oddworld title)

Also a PS3 update, or should I say a NEW PS3 version, that will be a lot smaller, around 1.5GB, a few updates and tweaks, and the same feature the VITA version is getting.

We hope you all will like it, and that it will open up a level of community challenge ;-)"

Last edited by a moderator:
GoldenHelmet (whoever he is) may have just sold me on SW. I never really had a major interest in the game, but I think I'll but picking it up in mid-January. Currently playing through Persona 4 Golden and Uncharted Golden Abyss.

Any word on if this is going on sale soon for NA? I believe Europe gets it for 25% off right now, which is a solid deal all things considered.

One can hope. I have waited this long that I will keep waiting now. If I run out of games to play (doubtful) before it goes on sale, then I will purchase it for full price.

[quote name='GoldenHelmet']I've just been told that the SCEA discount is from March 5th to 12th sssssh ;)[/QUOTE]

From Neogaf.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Looks like GoldenHelmet was spot on. Oddworld Strangers Wrath is 25% off starting tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I wish it was better than 25% off, but any discount at this point was good enough for me to take the plunge.

[quote name='dragonjud']So, can anybody comment as to how the good the patch is? Does it fix the control issues with aiming?[/QUOTE]

I am curious too to hear about that, since some reviewers didn't like the use of the rear-touch pad.

I'm finding the camera in the game to be quite annoying. The camera drops way too low behind the character. I find myself ignoring the right analog and suing the auto-center button (O?) a lot. Other than that, the game isn't bad, though I'm still in the early stage.

bread's done
Back