Off topic... What's the laws on cable and multiple tvs

scott123456

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm thinking that the current law allows for cable subscribers to connect multiple tvs in the house but I need to confirm. I have 6 tvs but the 6th tv is giving me static. I have to call to check wiht comcast. Anyone know the current regulations? I'd prefer to pay them to come in and set up 6 outlets. Right now, I think I only have 1 and I'm splitting the line out for the other 5.

You can have as may as you wish as long as they, know the reason for the static you are splitting two many tvs. they can run you another line for a small fee. i am running 4tvs and cable internet, they dont charge me any extra.

yea you are supposed to pay for a certain amount when you sign up. I forget how much I pay but we have 2 Tv's and our deal is up to three.

My dad has his whole house wired, but mainly because he keeps moving the computer from the upstairs to the downstairs and every room in the house(has broadband)

most people that come out to fix it will not say anything though (hell my dad's splitter was fucking up our cable and they fixed it and even ran us new lines to some of the rooms)

Let's see, our house has about 10 TVs hooked up to cable and I've set up my LAN and share my broadband across 6 desktops and 2 notebooks.

I had cable split to three rooms in my last apartment, the cable man saw and could have cared less. I let my cable man rip my bong and he gave me free hbo and the movie channel. YMMV

I know with my cable company (Charter) I can have as many tvs hooked up as I want. Might differ by state and by cable provider, but I'm guessing most don't have any set limits.

[quote name='BigNick']I had cable split to three rooms in my last apartment, the cable man saw and could have cared less. I let my cable man rip my bong and he gave me free hbo and the movie channel. YMMV[/quote]

LOL

[quote name='BigNick']I had cable split to three rooms in my last apartment, the cable man saw and could have cared less. I let my cable man rip my bong and he gave me free hbo and the movie channel. YMMV[/quote]

AWESOME, LOL!

It also depends on if you're talking analog or digital. My understanding/experience has been you can split the signal as much as you want, as long as you're not using any illegal boxes or anything like that. They of course won't support anything other than what they installed.
I've got three outlets, and one outlet is split into two boxes for the same tv [one DVR and one HD]. I was having problems with the 'On Demand' channels,' and the CSR was somewhat taken aback by my situation, but didn't seem to care.
Also, I've got a router and up to 3 computers hooked up into my cable modem. Somewhere on the ToS website it says you can do that, as long as
a. it's not for a business
b. it's within the household [I can't run a cable next door]
c. they won't support it at all.
Of course they *want* to push their networking and multiple boxes, for a 'small monthly fee.'
Odds are before you run into state laws, you'll run afoul of cable company regulations.

LMAO @ BigNick.I have no doubts on that.I gotta friend who works for my service company.I get 1/2 off for 2 months.When it runs out she renews it.Of course I repay the favor....

I just thought of something. The cable co is prob more lax in splitting in your own house because of the dish. They ned to keep their current customers happy. There can't be that many new cable customers out there.

in my experience it does differ from company to company.... your problem could be because of a bad spillter or that the line signal strength just simply isn't that good.... I know back at my parents house we have something like 12 cable outlets and the cable company doesn't really care.... our problem was the signal was split too many times.... the solution go to radioshack or somewhere and buy an amplifier for your coax

Be sure to check on those laws YOURSELF, and don't rely on what the cable company tells you. When I had problems with my cable internet, the technician that came out unhooked the splitter I had installed so I could hook up the TV that was in the same room as my PC. This was definitely NOT the problem with the internet connection (problem continued for another month before a new line was installed outside), but I think he did it due to company policy.

In NC, or at least in my area, if you have a cable outlet in the house and pay for basic cable, you can run the line to as many TVs as you want. However, in order to get the digitial channels (only about 60 or so are NOT digital here), you need a digital decoder, and that's the box the cable company will rent to you (or give you) as long as you have digital service.

Virgin post...
From what I know, its legal, but most companies (Comcast in my case) will say its not. Most Service Reps don't care aslong as they dont work too hard at your place, and even then a small bribe works. Food for the hungry and tired (^)_(^). Around me, all the service reps are spanish as well and we look out for each other. My stepdad gives them a break on construction jobs and they give us free hbo.

I work for a cable company and might be able to answer this..

It may vary by company, but for my company (Insight) there is only a charge for additional outlet installation.. other than that its generally a flat fee monthly charge for basic analog channels regardless of the number of outlets. I'm pretty sure this is how most other companies operate too.

As for your static problem, you probrably have it split too many times for the amount of signal feeding your house. Does the static get worse as you go up in channel frequencies?

How do you have it split? Do you have it daisy chained through multiple 2-way splitters? If so, that will cause a ton of signal loss by the time you're splitting it for the 5th or 6th time. If this is what you're doing, your easiest fix would be to just go buy a 6 or 8-way splitter which will help. If you can convince your cable company to give or sell you one, that would be your best option. Radioshack and other places sell some splitters, but the quality is generally poorer than the commercial grade stuff that the CO's buy.

If this doesn't help enough, then go ahead and buy a house amp.. but i'd definately recommend buying this from your cable co rather than radioshack.. the consumer ones are junk. They probrably won't want to sell one to you at first (because usually ppl installing them don't know what the hell they're doing and end up causing more trouble calls for the company) but convince them that you know what you're doing and they should give in.. they'll probrably charge you anywhere between $25-40 for it.

sounds like you need a pamphlet

SO YOU'VE DECIDED TO STEAL CABLE

Myth: Stealing from cable companies is wrong.
Fact: Cable companies are giant faceless corporations, so that makes it ok.

and so on

(simpsons in case you think I'm trying to flame)

speaking of giant faceless corporations, time warner here in KC, MO told us we could split it ourselves as much as we wanted. of course unless you split from the cable box itself you only get the basic channels, because most of them are digital. and if you do split from the cable box its pretty pointless since then any hooked up tvs would all have the same channel on. then when we switched to directv the guy said splitting the line "wouldnt work", pretty amazing considering that its all split right outside on the side of the house.

[quote name='JSweeney']Let's see, our house has about 10 TVs hooked up to cable and I've set up my LAN and share my broadband across 6 desktops and 2 notebooks.[/quote]

10tvs? big family?

[quote name='Quackzilla']m3h, your problems are nothing to me. I have Dish Network!

you = poo
me = 1337
1337 > poo
me > you[/quote]

how did the cake doctor work out for you? are u a bonified cake surgen yet?

i didnt read the rest of the thread, but you could always amp it...my dad works for Time Warner, so thats how i know :D

dish network = crap
direct tv > dish network

i win. i win even more becasue i get all the pay per views and all the sports games.

lets hear it for NFL sunday ticket.

[quote name='huma79']I work for a cable company and might be able to answer this..

It may vary by company, but for my company (Insight) there is only a charge for additional outlet installation.. other than that its generally a flat fee monthly charge for basic analog channels regardless of the number of outlets. I'm pretty sure this is how most other companies operate too.

As for your static problem, you probrably have it split too many times for the amount of signal feeding your house. Does the static get worse as you go up in channel frequencies?

How do you have it split? Do you have it daisy chained through multiple 2-way splitters? If so, that will cause a ton of signal loss by the time you're splitting it for the 5th or 6th time. If this is what you're doing, your easiest fix would be to just go buy a 6 or 8-way splitter which will help. If you can convince your cable company to give or sell you one, that would be your best option. Radioshack and other places sell some splitters, but the quality is generally poorer than the commercial grade stuff that the CO's buy.

If this doesn't help enough, then go ahead and buy a house amp.. but i'd definately recommend buying this from your cable co rather than radioshack.. the consumer ones are junk. They probrably won't want to sell one to you at first (because usually ppl installing them don't know what the hell they're doing and end up causing more trouble calls for the company) but convince them that you know what you're doing and they should give in.. they'll probrably charge you anywhere between $25-40 for it.[/quote]

When I got my cable installed they (Insight) told me I have to pay 5 bucks for each additional room. I already have cable outlets in everyroom so I ask they guy why I have to pay 5 bucks and he says they have to turn it on through the box outside. I knew that was untrue... was he trying to pocket extra money?

No, the cable company is. Unless the cable guy scam's the cable co too. Only reason I see that they might charge is if you have too many and they have a way of amping the signal from the poles.

Speaking of amping, I just had comcast installed in my new apartment. Turns out the Landlord had an AMP installed on the line. I'm assuming it was to boost the signal throughout the house.

Unfortunately, it was screwing with the cable signal. The picture was fuzzy as hell. The tech who came to set up the service simply split the signal BEFORE the amp, and walla! My cable signal was beautiful.

While the AMP was a hindrance to my signal quality, it's a necessity for my landlord. You may want to look into one if you are splitting the signal across several points in your house.

Oh, and Comcast Internet is really fast.

bread's done
Back