Offensive smiley tag on CAG?

Maxathon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey all,

I'm new here, but I have a concern/question. What the f*** is up with there being a smiley tag that is the n-word? It's linked to this image:

nigger

Now, is this a way for that word to not appear if some jackass types it in, or is there something going on here that I don't understand?

Aside from that, and assuming I haven't unwittingly wandered into some white-supremacist gaming site (joking, I hope), love CAG and the community.

Thanks for your responses,

Max

[quote name='Maxathon']Hey all,

I'm new here, but I have a concern/question. What the f*** is up with there being a smiley tag that is the n-word? It's linked to this image:

nigger

Now, is this a way for that word to not appear if some jackass types it in, or is there something going on here that I don't understand?

Aside from that, and assuming I haven't unwittingly wandered into some white-supremacist gaming site (joking, I hope), love CAG and the community.

Max[/quote]

It's a lazy way this site has of dealing the use of the n-word. That's just my opinion though. Unfortunately it just acts as a way for people to still use the word. Back in the old days of this site it was totally against the TOS to use it. I reported quite a few people.

[quote name='Maxathon']Hey all,

nigger

Max[/quote]
Since when is ninja the n-word? fucking Political correctness. If I want to say ninja, I'll say ninja. I don't care how many Japanese get upset.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I reported quite a few people.[/quote]

Good for you, captain PC.

Here,

Have_a_cookie_by_Dannys_angel.jpg

Although really, "Ninja" is a taboo word in the UK, so we're still not globally correct.

Just ask the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles...

[quote name='camoor']Good for you, captain PC.[/quote]

It's not a matter of being PC. It's a matter of the TOS.

SUBMISSIONS TO THE SITE
Proper contributions to CheapAssGamer.com are welcomed by registered users. You agree not use the Site in any way to:

a. post, email, transmit or otherwise make available Content that you know to be false or that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, obscene, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

http://cheapassgamer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=cag_faq_item#faq_new_faq_item

Of course, this whole thing will be irrelevant in time.

[quote name='Maxathon']
[/QUOTE]

If this site was a white supremacist site. Why would we be censoring, and changing the word?

[quote name='Ugamer_X']It's basically the safe way for white people to say the n-word without it evoking its racial denotation.

TOS, lol.[/quote]

Fixed.

And yes, the TOS is worthless in this particular regard.

[quote name='The Crotch']I wish more words were dealt with in humorous manners, such as fuck and nigger. Too bad CheapyD is so stingy - niggardly, even - with these humorous images.[/QUOTE]

lolz

remember that college professor who got fired for using niggardly in a lecture?

crrrazay!

I'm more concerned with how the OP discovered this NINJA image. This is the first I'm seeing of it. What sinister and racist motives made him type in the word?

the stigma surrounding the word NIGGER ... It boggles the mind sometimes. I suppose we can still use phrases like cracker, honkey, white trash...etc though

[quote name='Metal Boss']the stigma surrounding the word NIGGER ... It boggles the mind sometimes. I suppose we can still use phrases like cracker, honkey, white trash...etc though[/QUOTE]

You can use ANY word you want to

But you're subject to being treated as a racist if you speak like one.

[quote name='Mouse']I'm more concerned with how the OP discovered this NINJA image. This is the first I'm seeing of it. What sinister and racist motives made him type in the word?[/quote]

It's simple. When making a new message only a few smilies show. A link says "more" underneath and when that is click it shows ALL smilies available.

[quote name='Metal Boss']the stigma surrounding the word ****** ... It boggles the mind sometimes. I suppose we can still use phrases like cracker, honkey, white trash...etc though[/quote]

No. Those aren't cool either.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Well, I for one like the nigger tag. I don't believe i've ever seen a black ninja though. Jim Kelly came close :D[/quote]

Raven from Tekken.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It's simple. When making a new message only a few smilies show. A link says "more" underneath and when that is click it shows ALL smilies available.

No. Those aren't cool either.[/QUOTE]
Shut it, cracka farm boy.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm black.

And if that was an attempt at humor I apologize.[/QUOTE]
Heh...who would actually say "cracka farm boy" in seriousness? ;)

CAG's "vs. mode": Politics & Controversy Argue to your cheap ass heart's content on politics and other subjects ripe for argument.
This is place for mature discussion and is NOT a flame forum.
I knew I was expecting too much. Someone needs to take that last sentence out.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']remember that college professor who got fired for using niggardly in a lecture?[/QUOTE]

You've gotta be fucking kidding me...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
I knew I was expecting too much. Someone needs to take that last sentence out.[/QUOTE]

Look at it this way: you're surrounded by people who seem to have to feel the need to assert their rugged, dominant, extreme masculinity by saying offensive words on the CAG forum. There's no "macho" in having a reasonable discussion, but there is macho in avoiding the n-bomb filter the way Metal Boss did, or acting like it's no big deal like Bathory did.

Personally, I realy feel for those poor souls, not who post on the internet message boards, but those who feel the need to become internet alpha male.

I don't know that I find the filter as offensive as those people who use the word so flippantly. At least that word has a filter; I still see "gay" and "fag" and their derivatives in damn near every thread I go into.

[quote name='mykevermin']Look at it this way: you're surrounded by people who seem to have to feel the need to assert their rugged, dominant, extreme masculinity by saying offensive words on the CAG forum. There's no "macho" in having a reasonable discussion, but there is macho in avoiding the n-bomb filter the way Metal Boss did, or acting like it's no big deal like Bathory did.

Personally, I realy feel for those poor souls, not who post on the internet message boards, but those who feel the need to become internet alpha male.

I don't know that I find the filter as offensive as those people who use the word so flippantly. At least that word has a filter; I still see "gay" and "fag" and their derivatives in damn near every thread I go into.[/quote]

I agree with everything you said. The only problem with "ninja" replacing the n-word is that is has become "en vogue" for CAGs to use it. Quite frankly I think JimmieMac's frequent use of the actual n-word spurred the change to "ninja" as much as anything as I saw him use it more than anyone. Can you imagine the explosion in the usage of homosexual slurs if "frag" or some other "cute" little word were used instead? I wonder what would happen if slurs for other ethnic groups were being used commonly (Japanese perhaps)? I doubt Cheapy would make a "cute" filter for that for obvious reasons.

The only time I really care is in in situations like this when a new person to CAG sees that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I agree with everything you said. The only problem with "ninja" replacing the n-word is that is has become "en vogue" for CAGs to use it. Quite frankly I think JimmieMac's frequent use of the actual n-word spurred the change to "ninja" as much as anything as I saw him use it more than anyone. Can you imagine the explosion in the usage of homosexual slurs if "frag" or some other "cute" little word were used instead? I wonder what would happen if slurs for other ethnic groups were being used commonly (Japanese perhaps)? I doubt Cheapy would make a "cute" filter for that for obvious reasons.

The only time I really care is in in situations like this when a new person to CAG sees that.[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you are saying, but there is no really good answer besides people need to just stop using that word. If you were to try to ban the word from use it could just make the word more taboo and people would more likely to say it. While making it ninja makes it easier for people to say and think they seem funny. I do not think it helps that sometimes every other word out of some rappers or even some black people you hear on the street is the word. I am all for owning the negatives to become positives but its too much. I have done the same things with Jewish stereotypes and words with my other Jewish friends, but its not like I go around all the time calling them Kikes.

I dont know of any really good real world solution for the word, or even CAG solution for the word. Cause even if every single derivation of the word is banned at CAG, it will prob just bring another word of another minority into the light.

The only problem with the filter is that, like most censorship, it's retarded. Every time you see the ninja graphic you don't read "ninja" you read it as the word you know it is. Just like when you see the shaq-fu graphic you know what's there so when you're reading it you read it as the word it's censoring.

It's just pointless, whether or not you see the actual word or the graphic you read it the same and it has the same meaning. The actual arrangement of letters isn't what's offensive, it's the meaning.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The only problem with "ninja" replacing the n-word is that is has become "en vogue" for CAGs to use it.[/QUOTE]

One of our profs teaches deviance, and she has a class lecture which is reminiscent of George Carlin's "Seven word you can't say on TV" bit. Of course, the vision of a white upper-middle-class professor saying words like "shit," "bitch," and "cunt" is, without fail, absolutely *hilarious* to students.

That's when she points out the power of the n-bomb, which is a word nobody laughs about. They'll laugh if someone of social esteem says "fuck," but if they say "n-bomb," it's not funny: it's a travesty and a scandal.

We have different statuses for "bad words" in society, and I don't think that's such a bad thing, really. What the "ninja" phrase does, as you rightly argue, is make it "cute" and take away that very shock and scandal that the word possesses when used in other contexts. I see your point about "frag," as an appropriate analogy.

I also see where Cheapy's hands are tied - either he allows the word or he covers it up. Personally, I thought that words filtered out as "$$$$$" or somesuch worked perfect, because it *completely* ruined the conversation, and nobody knew what the hell "$$$$$" in most uses. It lost the power, it lost the offensiveness, and it sure isn't cute or funny to use. I can deal with shaq-fu, but "ninja" ought to revert back to "$$$$$$" IMO, and anyone attempting to circumvent it using numbers instead of letters, or the ill-placed period, for example, should be immediately banned. I don't want that shit around me.

In comparison, it's strange that "fagg0t" is completely filtered as $$$$$$.

[quote name='Brak']In comparison, it's strange that "fagg0t" is completely filtered as $$$$$$.[/quote]

It speaks volumes about certain elements on this site as far as I am concerned. I'd like to know why that is filtered like that, but the n-word isn't. I also notice that g ook (an offensive term for people of asian descent) is censored as $$$$ . Once again, that speaks volumes.

Anyone care to theorize about this?

Thanks to those who have responded intelligently, first for answering my initial question, and then for examining the issue further.

I haven't been here long enough to try to push some solution for these issues, I was just made uncomfortable when I first noticed the tag after clicking "more" when writing something (as GuilewasNK guessed correctly). However, I definitely agree with several of you that the funny little graphic is far more likely to encourage or mask the seriousness of using that word than anything else.

Keep talking if you're still interested; as a bleeding heart liberal who also hates censorship, I'm torn and so love listening to conversations about these issues. Especially when the level of discourse is so high for the internets.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']It speaks volumes about certain elements on this site as far as I am concerned. I'd like to know why that is filtered like that, but the n-word isn't. I also notice that g ook (an offensive term for people of asian descent) is censored as $$$$ . Once again, that speaks volumes.

Anyone care to theorize about this?[/QUOTE]

The word was always "$$$$" before "ninja" came about. I can't quite recall why the change was made, though.

[quote name='mykevermin']

[/quote]
Or those who feel the need to become internet intellectual.

I love these people who come onto internet message boards, then are SHOCKED when they see people using terms they deem insensitive or racist. That's like someone going into a bar late at night, and being shocked at the abuse of alcohol and dirty language.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Or those who feel the need to become internet intellectual.

I love these people who come onto internet message boards, then are SHOCKED when they see people using terms they deem insensitive or racist. That's like someone going into a bar late at night, and being shocked at the abuse of alcohol and dirty language.[/quote]

By that logic, CAG is racist and nobody should be shocked at that. Are you sure that's what you wanted to imply?

[quote name='Dach']By that logic, CAG is racist and nobody should be shocked at that. Are you sure that's what you wanted to imply?[/QUOTE]
... that's really not what he implied, at all. ;o

[quote name='Brak']... that's really not what he implied, at all. ;o[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure what VG's implying, except for another ill-attempt to chide me for being me. Woe would be the soul if he ever had to hang out with me, just to find out that I am who I am pretty much all the time.

As for the "I'm shocked that people are shocked that people are offensive on websites, I don't see any logic there at all. I have no idea what sort of impenetrable or unique perspective he's trying to add. Are many websites full of conversation like this? Sure, I have no doubt that's the case. But, to suggest that "since everyone's doing it, why be shocked?" completely ignores the very reason that such conversation takes place, and seems to suggest that we should just kick back and accept people dropping racist and homophobic and hateful language. It's ok, man, everybody does it! :roll:

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm not quite sure what VG's implying[/QUOTE]
Me, either. But I don't think it was "CAG is racist", as Dach was suggesting.

bread's done
Back