Offical CAG "Rare" game price list

videogamejunkie

CAGiversary!
I propose using our collective knowledge and experience to develop a list of rare games and their potential values. I will update the list weekly from replies. I feel this will be a useful tool when we are out scouring the stores, garage sales and what ever. Please list the rare game, its system, and the current price it is going for on say ebay. I though of this because up until a few days ago, I had no idea that Saturn games like panzer dragoon saga were going for hundreds of dollars.

upadated 1-26-04

PS2

REZ - $50-$75 sealed (confirmed)

PSone
Intelligent Cube - $40-$50

DREAMCAST
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 -$50+ (sealed)

Saturn
Panzer Dragoon SAGA - $100+

Street Fighter Zero 3 + Ram Cart - $130+

Shining Force III - $80

Dragon Force - $70

Rockman X3 - $40

GBA

Castlevania Harmony -$50 (confirmed)

GAMECUBE

NCAA 2k3 - $65 (I know, it seems crazy, but their are a lot of stupid people in this world)

You get the idea. Feel free to question others.

Saturn - Street Fighter Zero 3 + Ram Cart - $130+
I should know. I recently sniped an auction for it. Saw it for 200 Reals, which is roughly $70, but the shipping charges would've killed it.

Saturn - Shining Force III - $80
Scored it for $73, brand new, still wrapped.

Saturn - Dragon Force - $70

Saturn - Rockman X3 - $40

DREAMCAST
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 -$seventeen something or other at game crazy -- just bought it there a couple of months ago

Playstation 2
Rez $60.00
Gitaroo-Man $45.00 (YMMV) (the rarity has always been under debate)

Gamecube
Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest $40.00

[quote name='videogamejunkie']saturn seams to be a big one. Are you serious on the cube ncaa?[/quote]

I think he is. I sold my copy on eBay for 75.

"Are you serious on the cube ncaa?"

Sega shipped only a few then recalled them and wouldn't sell anymore. They dropped all sports games support for the cube around then.

Unfortunately all unsold copies were recalled so there are ver few available.

[quote name='Firebrand']Saturn - Street Fighter Zero 3 + Ram Cart - $130+
I should know. I recently sniped an auction for it. Saw it for 200 Reals, which is roughly $70, but the shipping charges would've killed it.

Saturn - Shining Force III - $80
Scored it for $73, brand new, still wrapped.

Saturn - Dragon Force - $70

Saturn - Rockman X3 - $40[/quote]

LOL, didn't realize Shining Force III was considered rare. I have two copies. One opened, one sealed. Of all the systems I've ever owned, I kept every single Saturn game. Domesic and Import. My Saturn plays both. Guess I should take that baby outta storage and relive the good moments. Man, there were some killer import shooters for that system. I'll have to check if I have Panzer Saga. Can't remember if I got my hands on that one. Have Panzer and Zwei for sure tho.

I don't know about you guys, but I've seen Castlevania Harmony and Aria at Toys R Us/Best Buy/Circuit City. The one game I can't find is Circle of the Moon.
I remember when Panzer Saga first came out and people couldn't find them, there was this Toys R Us I would go to and there was like a whole row of them. I'd think "well I don't have a Saturn."
Also, Gitaroo Man for $45? Nahbrah. I've never seen it for $10-20 like some have (new that is), but I've seen it at Gamestop and other places for fair prices.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 is NOT valued at $50. I don't see the game going for that much anywhere. I've seen it for $19.99 or less used at most retail places.

Dragon Ball Final Bout GT I'd value this at around $100-$150. It really depends on how bad you want it. Considering it's rarity(10,000 copies) it has a fluctuating value point. It went down considerably since the release of Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22(PS1) and Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1 & 2(PS2).

Magic Knight Rayearth I would value as around $50. It was the last Sega Saturn game published for the US Saturn and was also short print.

House of the Dead for the Sega Saturn is very, very, rare. While not as valueable as most of the Saturn games like Guardian Heroes or Panzer Dragoon Saga, it is one of the hardest to find. It was also one of the last Saturn games made and was really limited in it's printing of about 5,000 copies. I'd value this one at $65-$100.

I would not value any of the newer PS2, GameCube or Xbox games as rare yet. They are much too easy to find still in stores(locations may vary) and are not near as scarce as games on the now defunct consoles.

But yes, some do go for considerably more than their original retail value, among them I would mention:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness(PS2)
Magic Pengel(PS2)
Guitaroo Man(PS2)
Fatal Frame(XBOX)
NCAA College Basketball 2K3(GCN)
REZ(PS2)

[quote name='tolhurst']Magic Pengal's rare? umm.. sure...[/quote]

Thank you for learning how to read. I never stated it was rare, I noted it goes for more than it's retail price point. Thank you again for being an excellent reader. :D

Also I love how you must have missed the part where I stated "I would not value any of the newer PS2, GameCube or Xbox games as rare yet. They are much too easy to find still in stores(locations may vary) and are not near as scarce as games on the now defunct consoles."

fucking genius. Pure genius.

Hey, what are we basing these "values" on? If Ebay is the "gold standard", I think some of what I've read up above is a little optimistic.

For instance, Rez Complete has sold between $36 and $47 (Suggested $60 above) on Ebay pretty routinely. Gitaroo Man also sold for $27 (Suggested $45 above) Complete:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3070792660&category=11321

Also, are we talking "new" prices, or Complete/Good Condition?

Finally, can anybody explain what's going on with Castlevnia: Harmony? I was checking on its value and some "new" copies are going for $50 as suggested above, while most are going for $10. What's up with that?

Ebay IS the "golden standard." I feel it represent the true maket value of this kind of stuff. DO NOT post anything about how you ripped off some guy at school for some pokemon game, etc.

I found my Marvel vs Capcom 2 along with Grandia II for Dreamcast for $5 each at a place called John's Bargans in Hamilton, NJ. That place was a treasure trove for old school games.........I'm so depressed that they went out of business. :cry:

[quote="Magic Knight Rayearth I would value as around $50. It was the last Sega Saturn game published for the US Saturn and was also short print.

House of the Dead for the Sega Saturn is very, very, rare. While not as valueable as most of the Saturn games like Guardian Heroes or Panzer Dragoon Saga, it is one of the hardest to find. It was also one of the last Saturn games made and was really limited in it's printing of about 5,000 copies. I'd value this one at $65-$100.

I would not value any of the newer PS2, GameCube or Xbox games as rare yet. They are much too easy to find still in stores(locations may vary) and are not near as scarce as games on the now defunct consoles.

But yes, some do go for considerably more than their original retail value, among them I would mention:

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness(PS2)
Magic Pengel(PS2)
Guitaroo Man(PS2)
Fatal Frame(XBOX)
NCAA College Basketball 2K3(GCN)
REZ(PS2)[/quote]

Just went thru a box of Saturn games I found in storage. Found House of the Dead, Panzer Dragoon, Zwei, and Saga (sealed). Two copies of Magic Knight, one opened and one sealed. I know I have another box around here somewhere with more. :)

You can pick up Disgaea and REZ at your B&M TRU. I saw them both there the other day at my local TRU.

Magic Pengel is hard to find new at a good price. Go to Video Game Deals to snag it for $17.99. ;)

You can pick up Gitaroo-Man at Outpost for $39.90. One of my local EB's had FF for XBox for $29.99 new. I picked up the last copy, but you might try your local EB.

Anyone know where I can score a Sega CDX? Its the compact Sega Genesis/Sega CD unit. I had one years ago, but sold it like a fool.[/url]

What about these...

Dragon Ball Z Legends (Import) released 1997
Bloody Roar 2 (PS) released 04/30/1999
Legend of Mana (PS) released 6/7/2000
Vagrant Story (PS) released 5/15/2000
Timesplitters (PS2) released 10/23/2000
Kessen (PS2) released 11/13/2000

All have fetched decent prices on ebay

marvel vs capcom 2 is uncommen, not rare, and u can find it used at your local gamstop store. And, castlvania harmony is uncommen also, not rare. With a little looking around, u can find them.

Is Disgaea rare? They have a ton if them at my Toys r Us.

I'll add:
PSOne -- Valkyrie Profile $70.00 on amazon.

[quote name='poormojo']Is Disgaea rare? They have a ton if them at my Toys r Us.

I'll add:
PSOne -- Valkyrie Profile $70.00 on amazon.[/quote]

Yeah i think people are saying Disgaea too soon. EBgames had 32 of em today. Just because it won't hit $20 doesn't really make it rare....yet.....

Hey I like the idea of this list it will help me find the harder to find games with platforms I am unfamilier with.

Why dont we just give a range. Say something like

Game / System / Range / Value Base (ie ebay,amazon etc)

My Peanut Butter Sandwich / Hunger / $1-$2 / Meijer

yeah somehting like that...../\ /\

I know I just paid 26.51 CDN for Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and I certainly don't feel ripped off one bit.

[quote name='Wshakspear']Snes - Chrono Trigger - $130+[/quote]
are you serious????? im rich sort of :lol:
is final fantasy 3 rare by any chance

That's ridiculous, that price. I have the game (not sealed) and I bought it for like 20 bucks CAD

Earthbound, Super Metroid, and Super Mario RPG are all higher priced, harder to find games.

And Rush 2049 on dc...pain in the ass to find in good condition

E-bay is NOT a good judge of prices. Neither is half.com. Look at that FF 7 above a few posts. That's ridiculous. Prices are all over the place on the E-bay and never settle. Too many idiots out there who get into bidding wars. Mario RPG and Metroid are common as well. They sold a few million copies each (S. Metroid moreso) and are all over the place. It's simply a matter of looking. People pay for the known name (like when Metroid Prime hit and geniuses started paying insane prices for anything related to the series) and little else.

The prices are accurate, the amount produced does not make the item valuable the amount demanded versus available is the only factor determines price. Sealed games for snes, nes, and dc are rare commodities and increase in value, most recent rare item i sold was skate or die NES brand new factory sealed for $200.00, so anything is possible depending on its demand and collectibility.

I think this is a good idea, but to make it worthwhile would take more work than you think. Once you consider differences in prices between sealed, with box, with manual, cartridge only and other factors, your prices are going to be all over the map. This is the stuff that makes price guides for collectibles so freakin' thick.

Could work, but you're going to need a working database and not just a list with inputs.

Any other rare DC games besides MvC2? Cuz my collection is still growing and snagging some rare ones now could help a lot later.

If ebay is the standard, then I think I need to pick up some games at my Gamestop for Dreamcast. They have Skies of Arcadia for 19.99 and Powestone 2 for 25$, so with 30% off they are much cheaper. plus my extra 10% with the gamers card. Should I get them?

You can't really use half.com because those are prices that people are trying to sell a game at, not what's actually sold. The same goes for Amazon.com's marketplace sellers. Ebay's prices for completed auctions are a much better indicator. It's true that you'll get some wild outliers, but the price trends are pretty meaningful.

[quote name='vshekar']You can't really use half.com because those are prices that people are trying to sell a game at, not what's actually sold. The same goes for Amazon.com's marketplace sellers. Ebay's prices for completed auctions are a much better indicator. It's true that you'll get some wild outliers, but the price trends are pretty meaningful.[/quote]

That is true about half.com, as there are often people who try to get more than MSRP for currently available items (there is one guy who puts in the description that he is taking a loss, and marks most of his stuff up 1.5x to 2x MSRP), but if you click on "Sell yours now!", and go through the process (don't actually finalize the listing, though), it will tell you average sell price for the item in the condition you select (sometimes it gives the last sold price as well).

i found my US version of dragon force opened, how much did u say it was worth? ^_^; think anyone would wana buy it off me?

How about NES River City Ransom? Its probably the only game you can order a smile in thus making it all the greater in value.

[quote name='Arakias']How about NES River City Ransom? Its probably the only game you can order a smile in thus making it all the greater in value.[/quote]

Probably not ever. since remake is coming to GBA.

eBay has to be a good place to get market prices, I mean, it is a perfect market esentially. The things that screw up how you figure out the value of the game are things like shipping and handling costs and whether the game is bought individually or as part of a lot and what other items are included in the lot.

For instance, some people add $4 to s/h because you usually can't get more than a buck or two for most NES games. However, people still bid and win the auction so the final 'value' of the game is the s/h plus the winning bid. If I bought Adventure Island for 2 bux and paid $5 shipping, the game was worth $7 because thats what I paid for it. Just pointing out that when trying to find a median value for a game, one must consider the average shipping charges as well.

eBay is a little wierd in that if people offer free shipping, sometimes the buyers will pay way more than the game is worth including normal shipping charges. I saw excitebike go for $20 because the seller was liquidating a stock of hundreds of games and offered $2 flat rate shipping no matter how many games you bought (buy 50 games, pay only $2 shipping!) Normally that game goes for like $3 + $2-4 s/h so it's median worth is like 6 bux.

In the case of big lots, sometimes you get games at less than a buck a piece but sometimes theres one gem game in the lot that makes the price per game inflate wildly above the value of even the rare game. Weird stuff. I just wait till the last minute on auctions from sellers who list tons of individual games at once. This way I combine shipping and end up paying around 2 bux a game for almost all titles rarity E through B. The A games I usually get in lots with a lot of common games, that way when I pay the rare games price (which I hate paying) at least I'm getting a lot of other coimmon games I can relist in lots of 3 or 4 to make my money back. So far in my buying and selling and trading to build my collection, I've gained about 40 games (bought around 250 and sold most of them) and made over a hundred bux - all profit. The key is knowing when to bid on which auctions (last-chance efforts are very profitable) and how to list a successfull auction.

bread's done
Back