Offical Wii SD Card Thread

3QGojo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I don't know if this threads ben started or not, but I couldn't find one.

So the Wii uses SD cards and I wanted people to post if they knew any cheap alternatives to the "Official" Wii SD cards. If anyone knows of diferent ones that seem to work well with the Wii without any problems post that here.

Also, any deals on cheap SD cards would be a good idea to post that here as well.

My only word of advice is to never ever ever buy flash memory of any kind at a retail store (unless there's a huge sale), because they're always overpriced.

I'd recommend the Kingston brand as I've never had a problem with their memory (I've had 2 SD cards from them and my RAM is from them as well), and their chips are made by toshiba.

You should be able to get a 1gb standard transfer rate SD card for around $20, and a 2gb for $30-40

Here are some on newegg right now:

1gb - $19.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820160032

2gb - $30.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134029

(I don't know how to cheapify those links, so if a mod could do so I'd appreciate it)

[quote name='captaincold']www.bfads.net

Should find a Name Brand 2gb SD card for $20 this Friday.[/QUOTE]

Also u can find a 1 Gig for 2.99 @ CC on there.

That should clear up some confusion.

Well...I was reading the channel and it really didn't seem like you can save your games on the SD card. It said you could just put your saves on it, but the saves will only work on your own Wii. Perhaps you just have to manage your flash memory yourself, and just delete an old game if you want to add a new one.

Since you can always just redownload it for free after the first purchase.

Where can you get a 1GB for $2.99 @ CC? Is it a part of some sale?

[quote name='Nomar1245']Also u can find a 1 Gig for 2.99 @ CC[/QUOTE]

I would say use the SanDisk 1GB one they have onsale somewhere this week for $20. No reason to spend 2-3 times that because Nintendo slapped their name on it. Hmmm... Nintendo slapped Wii....

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']Well...I was reading the channel and it really didn't seem like you can save your games on the SD card. It said you could just put your saves on it, but the saves will only work on your own Wii. Perhaps you just have to manage your flash memory yourself, and just delete an old game if you want to add a new one..[/quote]
Yeah, this was a disappointment for me. I thought that you could save directly to the SD card, using it as additional hard drive, but it ain't so. I guess the SD cards are there to throw some of your hard drive files on to when you're close to using up the 512 MB. You'll have to take some games off of the flash memory and transfer it to the SD card in order to make room. Perhaps later games will take advantage of the SD cards, but right now, it's a bit of an awkward arrangement.

[quote name='zyblorg']Yeah, this was a disappointment for me. I thought that you could save directly to the SD card, using it as additional hard drive, but it ain't so. I guess the SD cards are there to throw some of your hard drive files on to when you're close to using up the 512 MB. You'll have to take some games off of the flash memory and transfer it to the SD card in order to make room. Perhaps later games will take advantage of the SD cards, but right now, it's a bit of an awkward arrangement.[/quote]

See, I don't know about this guys. I was reading through my Wii manual a few minutes ago (don't ask where I was), and it explicitly states that SD cards can be used to "save games downloaded through the Wii Shop Channel." I kid you not. Check it out for yourselves. Page 30, left column, about halfway down. It's possible. We're just missing something.

If you dont want to wait, this week circuit city has a polaroid 1gb SD card for $9.99 after a $20 mail in rebate.....

I got a 512MB one with this Zelda kit at TRU. Came with two Zelda gloves, Wii Stand, Triforce game case, and the 512MB card for $40. Worth it for me.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']See, I don't know about this guys. I was reading through my Wii manual a few minutes ago (don't ask where I was), and it explicitly states that SD cards can be used to "save games downloaded through the Wii Shop Channel." I kid you not. Check it out for yourselves. Page 30, left column, about halfway down. It's possible. We're just missing something.[/QUOTE]

I'm seeing the same thing. I read about being able to use your SD cards for memory but it wouldn't recognize it. Although it does see it in the Photo Channel. I think we need to have the Wii connected to the internet and download an update. Only problem for me is that I don't have their USB adapter and my router doesn't have a USB slot. Why didn't Nintendo put an ethernet slot in their system? :whistle2:? Here's the page that kind of explains it.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/sdCards.jsp

I know that OfficeMax is going to have 2GB Sandisk cards for 24.99 on BF. I plan on picking up a couple, one specifically for the Wii and then another for my good ol' digital camera, which will free up the 1GB one i use for it for the Wii. ;)

[quote name='dman1869']I'm seeing the same thing. I read about being able to use your SD cards for memory but it wouldn't recognize it. Although it does see it in the Photo Channel. I think we need to have the Wii connected to the internet and download an update. Only problem for me is that I don't have their USB adapter and my router doesn't have a USB slot. Why didn't Nintendo put an ethernet slot in their system? :whistle2:? Here's the page that kind of explains it.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/sdCards.jsp[/QUOTE]

Mine did the update right away (one of the first things I did was hook up the wifi). I haven't played around with it too much but it seems like I can manage saves across both the onboard memory and SD card with no problem. You can move channels off the onboard memory and onto the SD card too (liek VC games). I haven't actually done this yet, but it seems possible.

I put a bunch of pictures and MP3's on my Toshiba 2GB card (bought at Office Max last week - $34.99 with no rebate, plus I got $15 off for bringing in 5 dead ink cartridges). The Wii Photo Channel is great - it puts them all in date order (though I had to fix a few on my PC to change the file mod time since I had enhanced them prior to putting them on the card and that gave pictures from 4 years ago Sunday's date ;). And you can play whatever mp3s you have as background music for the slide show. I had just made a "Pictures" folder and a "Music" folder. Unless those are specifically what the Wii wants and I just got lucky (didn't look at the manual since it all just worked perfectly!), it seems that it will find your stuff no problem.

Damn, that 2GB one at CC on BF looks tempting, the thing is that I'm camping at BB for the Westinghouse HDTV. Do you guys think I'd be able to go to BB and then get over to CC really quick for a couple of memory cards?

That's bull... I just bought that Kingston card last week and I can't get that rebate. Do they have any sort of price guarantee?

[quote name='io']Mine did the update right away (one of the first things I did was hook up the wifi). I haven't played around with it too much but it seems like I can manage saves across both the onboard memory and SD card with no problem. You can move channels off the onboard memory and onto the SD card too (liek VC games). I haven't actually done this yet, but it seems possible.

I put a bunch of pictures and MP3's on my Toshiba 2GB card (bought at Office Max last week - $34.99 with no rebate, plus I got $15 off for bringing in 5 dead ink cartridges). The Wii Photo Channel is great - it puts them all in date order (though I had to fix a few on my PC to change the file mod time since I had enhanced them prior to putting them on the card and that gave pictures from 4 years ago Sunday's date ;). And you can play whatever mp3s you have as background music for the slide show. I had just made a "Pictures" folder and a "Music" folder. Unless those are specifically what the Wii wants and I just got lucky (didn't look at the manual since it all just worked perfectly!), it seems that it will find your stuff no problem.[/QUOTE]

I tried again and it worked fine. No wires, no extra accessories, no official USB connector from Nintendo. I simply tried to connect and it found my wireless Netgear router. :)

I'm a shameless Nintendo fanboy who will probably plunk down the extra cash just to get a "Wii" version of the SD card even though I know full well all SD cards are pretty much the same in performance. With that being said, I will probably get this version:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(2255)-SDSDG-2048-SanDisk_SD_Gaming_2GB.aspx

gaming-sd-2gbs.gif

It retails for $90 on SanDisk's website and GameStop (major ripoff) but I know for sure it will be a lot cheaper if it hits Newegg. All standard 2 GB SD cards on SanDisk's website have an MSRP of $90 though they can be found for half on websites like Newegg. Until then, I am sticking with the internal 512 flash memory.

I tried to use a 16MB card that came free with a digital cam. And it didn't work. The card had data on it and could be read using my camera and my PC's mem card reader but the wii didn't recognize the card.

Are there only certain size SD cards compatable ?

I got my 2gb kingston card from buy.com today and it works no problem. An absolutely insane amount of save space.

Zelda - 1 block
Wii Sports - 2 blocks
Wii Internal Memory - 2163 blocks
2gb SD card - 15709 blocks

[quote name='KingDox']I tried to use a 16MB card that came free with a digital cam. And it didn't work. The card had data on it and could be read using my camera and my PC's mem card reader but the wii didn't recognize the card.

Are there only certain size SD cards compatable ?[/QUOTE]

I think you're having the same problem I had. Simply go back about 3 posts from your post and there's a link explaining it. You will probably have to update your Wii.

What sucks is that the Wii only plays Quicktime videos right now, my camera makes mpeg movies.

Are there any kind of good media readers I should look for or should any SD card reader be able to work fine?

[quote name='hohez']I got my 2gb kingston card from buy.com today and it works no problem. An absolutely insane amount of save space.

Zelda - 1 block
Wii Sports - 2 blocks
Wii Internal Memory - 2163 blocks
2gb SD card - 15709 blocks[/QUOTE]

Holy Shit! Well I just ordered the 2GB one last night. If I don't use it for my Wii I will double dip it and use it for my Digital Camera. fucking 20.00 for a 2GB card is absolutly a great price.

[quote name='gizmogc']I got a 512MB one with this Zelda kit at TRU. Came with two Zelda gloves, Wii Stand, Triforce game case, and the 512MB card for $40. Worth it for me.[/QUOTE]

Any chance you could post pics or a link? That sounds REALLY cool.

Also, anyone know if there is a max size to the SD cards Wii will recognize?

AKA: My Digital camera uses SD cards, but the max size is a 2GB card.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What sucks is that the Wii only plays Quicktime videos right now, my camera makes mpeg movies.

Are there any kind of good media readers I should look for or should any SD card reader be able to work fine?[/quote]

Try this app. It will convert all of your media to Wii compatible format until (if) Nintendo releases an update to allow more video formats.

http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/wiivideo9/

As far as SD readers, when I got my digital camera a few months back, I just found the cheapest one at CC that I could find. I think it was $15.

BTW, I have a feeling that these channels are just the tip of the iceburg. I have a feeling that Nintendo will be offering "Music" channels, "Video" channels, etc., for purchase in the future.

[quote name='lebowsky']Try this app. It will convert all of your media to Wii compatible format until (if) Nintendo releases an update to allow more video formats.

As far as SD readers, when I got my digital camera a few months back, I just found the cheapest one at CC that I could find. I think it was $15.

BTW, I have a feeling that these channels are just the tip of the iceburg. I have a feeling that Nintendo will be offering "Music" channels, "Video" channels, etc., for purchase in the future.[/quote]I would have to hope that those sorts of things are offered freely with future firmware updates. Though if they charge for those instead of charging for additional game content, I'll live, since I won't ever feel the need to pay for new non-gaming channels.

[quote name='Kendal']I was just about to link to the one MegaShock linked to. Where do I get the rebate from that card?[/QUOTE]

I found a link to print it out on one of the pages during the checkout process.

As far as video playback, I popped in the card I use in my Canon camera, which I'm pretty sure uses AVI for video, and it played them just fine.

I'm one of the fellows who gets the 110213 error, and who has to have his system replaced. Since I'm going to have to transfer my save files anyway, I figured I would go ahead and save them to an SD card, then format the wii's memory (just to see if that would rid the system of its updating problem.) Well, after doing so, I tried to copy the files from the SD card over to the wii, but was told that I must first play the game to copy the save files. I then play the games I own and try to copy the old save files to the new memory, only to be told that I cannot because the save files already existed on the system memory (but they didn't--these were the new files.) So, in a last-ditch attempt, I delete the new save files on the system memory, then try to copy the files over from the SD card, only to get "Files were not copied."

I tried copying the files over to another SD card, thinking it may be an issue with my card, but had the same experience. Anybody have advice for me, or are these files completely useless?

I don't know if this is even relevant, but once you format the memory, does that nix all the firmware updates, or just clear the memory? If it's the former, then you'd probably have to flash those again.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']What sucks is that the Wii only plays Quicktime videos right now, my camera makes mpeg movies.

Are there any kind of good media readers I should look for or should any SD card reader be able to work fine?[/quote]

If you just want to convert your videos from mpeg to mov, try WinAvi Video Converter. It's pretty painless, but it costs $$. Works well though. I found a freeware converter in Any Video Converter but I haven't tried that one out myself.

[quote name='botticus']I don't know if this is even relevant, but once you format the memory, does that nix all the firmware updates, or just clear the memory? If it's the former, then you'd probably have to flash those again.[/quote]

From what I can tell, it keeps the firmware. I'm still getting the error which I received as a result of the first "update." I guess it just clears the memory. Regardless, I called nintendo, and they didn't have a solution for me--yet. They said they would call back around four, once my feedback had been submitted.

[quote name='lebowsky']Try this app. It will convert all of your media to Wii compatible format until (if) Nintendo releases an update to allow more video formats.

BTW, I have a feeling that these channels are just the tip of the iceburg. I have a feeling that Nintendo will be offering "Music" channels, "Video" channels, etc., for purchase in the future.[/quote]
Thanks for the link. Hopefully that works when I get a SD reader. I'll probably pick up a cheap one at Fry's on my way to class today.

This seemed an appropriate place to post some bad news I just read down at the nintendo boards. Apparently saves only work on the system they are made on. Therefore, if you, like me are getting error code 110213 and need a new console, you cant transfer your saves from your old console to your new one via your SD card. While I can not substantiate this, there are several threads on the nintendo.com boards that say this, and I am inclined to think they are correct. So what this means is that you are either going to have to forget about your zelda saves, or ship them your console and they will fix it. Both choices have obvious uppers and downers. If you send in your system, you get to keep those precious 30 hours (thats what I have) of Zela already beaten, but you will be wii-less for a span of about two weeks. On the other hand, goodbye Zelda saves, but Wii the whole time. Decisions, decisions. Either I would suggest you blast through Zelda if you already are deep in, or just not get deeper in it if you arent very far. Either way this is really bad, and nintendo is really stupid for making saves console exclusive.

[quote name='smellytim']This seemed an appropriate place to post some bad news I just read down at the nintendo boards. Apparently saves only work on the system they are made on. Therefore, if you, like me are getting error code 110213 and need a new console, you cant transfer your saves from your old console to your new one via your SD card. While I can not substantiate this, there are several threads on the nintendo.com boards that say this, and I am inclined to think they are correct. So what this means is that you are either going to have to forget about your zelda saves, or ship them your console and they will fix it. Both choices have obvious uppers and downers. If you send in your system, you get to keep those precious 30 hours (thats what I have) of Zela already beaten, but you will be wii-less for a span of about two weeks. On the other hand, goodbye Zelda saves, but Wii the whole time. Decisions, decisions. Either I would suggest you blast through Zelda if you already are deep in, or just not get deeper in it if you arent very far. Either way this is really bad, and nintendo is really stupid for making saves console exclusive.[/quote]

wow that really sucks.... I don't see a logical reason to enforce the "original system" rule for gamesaves... obviously it makes sense to do that for virtual games but not saves.

does anyone know if I can transfer saves to an SD card.

I just saved a couple of VC games onto my console, and was wondering if I could transfer them to a SD card sometime in the future.

Here's a more interesting question.

I wonder if the SD slot on the Wii is SD or SD-HC. The SD spec maxes out at 2GB, though there are some devices (like my Palm Tx) that use a 4GB card without any issue. SD-HC goes well beyond 2GB. Not all 4GB SD cards work in all devices, as a Google search or two would bring up.

It would require someone to try and put in a 4GB card in a Wii and see if they get 2x the space of a 2GB card. If it doesn't work, my guess is that the slot is SD, not SD-HC.

[quote name='BREVITY']I have never thought to check but can the Wii play video off the SD cards?[/QUOTE]

Yes it can.

There are a few links earlier in this thread where people talk about video converters that can be used to convert files into Wii capable videos.

[quote name='asianxcore']does anyone know if I can transfer saves to an SD card.

I just saved a couple of VC games onto my console, and was wondering if I could transfer them to a SD card sometime in the future.[/quote]
You can transfer Wii game saves and VC games to an SD card. Just go to the settings menu, then Data Management, and there will be two section for saves and channels (VC games) where you can copy them to an SD card.

bread's done
Back