OFFICIAL 2006 Yard Sale Thread

Hey that sucks you didn't find anything good. You guys are usually getting steals left and right. Thats funny that you got an interactor. My friend just gave that to me. Its a pretty stupid vibrating backpack. :)

Great find Jake!

As for myself, I found the first model Genesis for two dollars today.
I wasn't going to get it, but then I figured, for two dollars I can at least say I have all the models.

I also got a Metal Gear for the NES along with an NES cleaning thing and a bunch of manuals/posters for five dollars.

Considering that all I was looking for today was Metal Gear (me and my brother decided to play through MGS 1, 2 , 3, VR and TS and got hooked), I was pretty willing to play five dollars and under for the game. Pretty lucky I got it.

In any case, it was a pretty horrible day, started off raining. It stopped for a bit, but the clouds were still overhead and generally ominous, we didn't find much, needless to say.

Man, I just went through that box of comics I got for $3. I didn't take a good look at them before I bought them. I did see that some of them had their covers removed. I didn't realize that over 80% of them had their covers removed.

wow, slow weekend. went to about 25 yard sales and 1 swap meet. bought the following:

N64 Quest 64, bare cart, $2
this was at a yard sale. the lady asked 3 and i bumped it down to 2. i've never played this game (i'm sure it sucks), but i really liked the picture, and you don't see many RPGs (presumably) on the N64. $2 was just fine.

PS2 Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, complete/mint, $6
i bought this a week or two after it released way way back in the day. liked it, beat it, sold it -- along with my first PS2 and a bunch of other games. found it at the swap meet: the guy wanted $7, i offered $5, and we settled on $6. six bucks for a non-GH, mint & complete MGS2 sits just fine with me. i'm glad to have it back for a fair price.

i also bought the wife 3 books for $1.25, and a second minty paperback of Holes for 50c.

total for the day: $9.75. a personal best (lowest)! i may hit another swap tomorrow, but otherwise, this is it for the weekend. oh well, here's to better days!

[quote name='jcs7573']Any thoughts or price offers on this?

Craigslist entry

SEGA GENESIS (IN BOX) WITH SEGA CD ADAPTER. $30

THE SYSTEM COMES WITH 11 GAMES. IT WORKS GREAT. I WILL TAKE WHAT I CAN GET. SO MAKE AN OFFER.

I have emailed him what games are included and if any come with instructions/boxes. Still awaiting reply...that's if he still has it!

Thanks
Joe[/quote]

He said he still has it(has had no offers) and sent some pix...I'm going to e-mail him with $15...is that fair?
lCtyFa3xQsWtv0h5fpGJkIngBzbm.jpg

twHI2IfobcU99l5drTt5sDIV5dWO.jpg

E3171X4Ys7kVHww8WxaPaAnBqROO.jpg

Went GSing today...which by the way sucked, and all I ended up with was this for $10.
IMG_6600.jpg

A Pikachu stuffed animal, Crach Bandacoot car and a Sega Game Gear with power adapter and 5 games which were:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
- Sonic the Hedgehog Chaos
- Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble
- Pac-Man

I ran across a few PS1 systems with stickers all over them with 2 controllers from $10-$15 and games for $1(in really bad condition), I passed on all.

And someone please shoe me in the nutz for passing on a PSP with power adapter, memory card and Sims 3(complete) for $90! It powered up and was in great condition w/one or two very very minor screen scratches (barely noticable, only with it off and at a certain angle were they noticeable). For some reason or another, I was thinking "If I spend this cash, I won't have money for that hard to find console with a shit load of games for $50 that may come about today!!"

WHAT THE fuck WAS I THINKING!!! :wall:

Live and learn I guess.

Hopefully some of you cheap bastards will have a better weekend than me!

Go cheap or go home!
Joe

[quote name='Kuros']Saturday's finds:

NES Dogbone controller = $1
GBA SP with the 3 games = $20[/quote]

NICE. i've been looking for an SP for some time... at a good price anyway. wish i could get that lucky. there was one in a recent CL posting but it was beat to hell (they were nice enough to include pics) and they wanted 15. i considered calling and offering 10, but it's 20 miles away, too, and that never helps.

[quote name='allyourblood']NICE. i've been looking for an SP for some time... at a good price anyway. wish i could get that lucky. there was one in a recent CL posting but it was beat to hell (they were nice enough to include pics) and they wanted 15. i considered calling and offering 10, but it's 20 miles away, too, and that never helps.[/QUOTE]

I'd say I got pretty lucky also. I checked out the garage sale on a whim and was able to get the sp and games.

[quote name='doctordoom1974']Also Max, could you please tell me how you conned that seller into giving you 15 N64 games for $2? I know I have asked questions like this before, but I would just like to hear your strategy.[/quote]
I think that had more to do with the seller than anything that I did.

We got there at around noon, so it was already pretty late in the day. She was laying in a lawn chair on her driveway, and was watching me pick through the games.

Her: "Are there any that you don't have?"
Me: "Oh, there's a few."
Her: "I tell you what, you can have the whole bin for $5."
*Pulls out $2*
Me: "Well, I have $2..."
Her: "Sure!"

I think she was just in "sell everything for any price because it's the end of the day" mode.

[quote name='spmahn']I would even say 15 is a little high. The console is worth maybe 12 tops, and none of those games have any value at all.[/quote]

After further review, I have to agree.

I figured if he still has it and stated "I WILL TAKE WHAT I CAN GET. SO MAKE AN OFFER" I offered $10 and see where it goes from there. I don't have a Sega CD but do have a few games so what they hey. I'll keep any games that are possibly in better condition than what I already have and unload the "lesser" quality duplicates.

Thanks
Joe

I wasn't able to get out this morning because I had to leave early for vacation but there's a flea market I always visit here. I'll let you know what I see tomorrow.

[quote name='evilmax17']I think that had more to do with the seller than anything that I did.

We got there at around noon, so it was already pretty late in the day. She was laying in a lawn chair on her driveway, and was watching me pick through the games.

*Pulls out $2*

I think she was just in "sell everything for any price because it's the end of the day" mode.[/quote]

Ah. Thank you. I should try going to sales around noon.

You know, you had a great find on those games. Had I gone to that many sales and all I was able to come up with were those games, I might have called it one of my better days.

I went to a few sales today, mostly crap.

I did manage to pick up Quest 64 complete for $0.50. (Box a bit banged up.)

This was a repeat sale that I was at 2 weeks ago (I bought a SNES console only, Return of the Jedi SNES, Ocarina of Time guide, Mortal Kombat II guide, and an original Game Boy carrying case, all for $2 then)

This was one of those "You have to dig for what you want" sales. Huge boxes of toys. The worst part is, I found lots of boxes and manuals for games, but no games themselves :( (I found a tantilizing box for Mario + Luigi Partners GBA, but alas, no game)

[quote name='cranguy']I went to a few sales today, mostly crap.

I did manage to pick up Quest 64 complete for $0.50. (Box a bit banged up.)

This was a repeat sale that I was at 2 weeks ago (I bought a SNES console only, Return of the Jedi SNES, Ocarina of Time guide, Mortal Kombat II guide, and an original Game Boy carrying case, all for $2 then)

This was one of those "You have to dig for what you want" sales. Huge boxes of toys. The worst part is, I found lots of boxes and manuals for games, but no games themselves :( (I found a tantilizing box for Mario + Luigi Partners GBA, but alas, no game)[/quote]

Worst feeling ever. One time, I found a NES box with everything in it but the system (controllers, game, connections, zapper, powerglove) for only $2.00. For some reason I passed on it. I also found about 50 SNES and Genesis boxes and manuals but the guy wanted a firm $20 for them. I said, "There aren't any games, I'll give you $3". He go mad and told me to get off his property. A little scary :hot:

[quote name='soccerstud652']Worst feeling ever. One time, I found a NES box with everything in it but the system (controllers, game, connections, zapper, powerglove) for only $2.00. For some reason I passed on it. I also found about 50 SNES and Genesis boxes and manuals but the guy wanted a firm $20 for them. I said, "There aren't any games, I'll give you $3". He go mad and told me to get off his property. A little scary :hot:[/quote]

damn, do you remember what games the boxes were for, the $20 could have been worth it especially for the SNES games

[quote name='soccerstud652']Really.

Zelda, Zombies Ate my Neigbors, Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy, Madden, Super Metroid, Golden Axe, Sonic 1-3.

Thats all I can think of.[/QUOTE]

You would have easily have made that $20 back, I think.

junk today:

SNES King Arthur's World, cart & manual, $3. junk, but i've never found it in the wild before, so it's okay.

Xbox Controller S, missing the end plug, $2. normally, i'd say that sucks, but a couple weeks ago, i found the gorilla-sized model for a couple bucks, with the end piece. now i can make a complete new-style controller for 5 bucks, which is fine by me. plus, i've got a spare to either complete in the future, or use for its guts.

Aviator DVD, 2-disc, complete, $2.

3 books: Huckleberry Finn, The Good Earth, and The Great Gatsby, $3.

total was $10
. meh.

[quote name='allyourblood']
but i've never found it in the wild before, so it's okay.
[/quote]

You sound like a Pokemon trainer. LOL. Good find on the XBOX controller.

[quote name='soccerstud652']Really.

Zelda, Zombies Ate my Neigbors, Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy, Madden, Super Metroid, Golden Axe, Sonic 1-3.

Thats all I can think of.[/quote]

wow, i would have loved to get my hands on those...there are plenty of people with cart only that would have paid nicely to complete their games, i dont think i would have thought twice after seeing some of those titles...

You should have shot back with like $10 or something for those boxes. Going from $20 to $3 can piss a person off. It also may have had to do in the way you said it that angered him.

Yesterday I went to a yard sale and I pick up a Super Nintendo system with one orginal controller and two Aciiware controllers, one orginal ac adapter and a gamestop universal rf switch. The Super Nintendo works just fine. Along with Xenogears for PS1, Chrono Cross for PS1, Zelda Ocarina of time for the N64, Classic NES series Zelda 2 for GBA. All of these games come with the manuals, cases, boxes. I also picked some Strategy guides. The Strategy guides are Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy Chronicles/Chrono Trigger, Star Wars KOTOR, Metroid Prime/Metroid Fusion, Ratchet and Clank, Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Zelda Oracle of Ages, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Zelda The Wind Waker, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Grand Theft Auto Vice City. The only other I got from this yard sale is The Lord of the Rings Legolas and Gimli on Horseback warriors and Battle Beasts battle scale figures. I picked all of this up for only $16.50 I just think for that price it was well worth paying $16.50 for. What does everyone else think about my find?

Wow! The cost of that entire find could be covered by the PSX RPGs alone..

If you're at all interested in selling or trading some of those guides you found, drop me a PM.

Congrats on an awesome find!

Went out for the first time in many weeks yesterday and picked up a wicker wastebasket for $0.25. That's it. :lol: But I was actually looking for a wicker wastebasket when I set out (among many other things.)

Ended up heading back in less than an hour as the paper was light on the number of listings and my usual route was also pretty light. So really didn't seem to be worth the time and gas to drive around and just pulled the plug.

[quote name='evilmax17']I think that had more to do with the seller than anything that I did.

*Pulls out $2*

I think she was just in "sell everything for any price because it's the end of the day" mode.[/QUOTE]

I absolutley hate running a yard sale myself, but it always cracks me up that people really go for those ridiculously low offers. I had a lady offer me I think $1 less than I was asking for some crappy chargers (decorative plates) last year and I just told her I would donate them to a thrift store and get a better ROI from the tax write off than I would from her offer. This happened while I was packing up BTW.

Her: "You'll nix the sale over $1?"
Me: "That's right!" [Continue to pack up, pretty much ignoring her]
Her: "A few of them have some chips..."
Me: "Yep, guess they do."

She ended up paying what I was asking.

[quote name='Kuros']
sale006.jpg

Atari 7800 + games = $10

Dreamcast (one on the right) = $5[/quote]
I have been looking all over for a DC; all summer long. Any chance you would sell it to me for $10.00? I really need one! I see you have 2 right there. Help a fellow CAG'er PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Dreamcasts are common as hell. I see many at local shops and I saw many at the flea market when I went two weeks ago.

Damn! I have found about 3 this summer. 2 of them were priced at a firm $50.00. One crazy lady wanted $70 for one with a few sports games. I just want one on the cheap to test a few games.

DC's and any other Sega stuff after the Genesis is quite hard to find in my area. I've seen DC stuff maybe 4 times over the last season of yard saling. I've seen saturn stuff twice. The only time I've ever seen any 32x stuff was when I picked up Knuckles Chaotix for $2. Sega CD stuff twice.

When I managed to find my DC, I got a second one along with it since it was broken. I still need to fix it. I think it is the power supply or the disc drive.

Nice finds. Could you post some pictures? By the way, who made the FFVII guide? If it is the Versus one, I think that one is worth a little bit more and also is a better quality guide.

[quote name='wubb']
Her: "You'll nix the sale over $1?"
Me: "That's right!" [Continue to pack up, pretty much ignoring her]
Her: "A few of them have some chips..."
Me: "Yep, guess they do."

She ended up paying what I was asking.[/quote]

worst yard sale story EVER. that was negative CAG. ;)

[quote name='SharpShooter']Yesterday I went to a yard sale and I pick up.. Chrono Cross for PS1..[/quote]That alone is worth $16.50. The rest is just icing on the cake. Nice find!

I finally got around to taking some pictures of some of my recent finds.

Here's the SP I got for $7.

Here are two comics I found on one of my less fruitfull weekends.

I traded a copy of Final Fantasy VII (PC) which I found at a church sale for this copy of ChronoTrigger. I was really happy with this trade. I had been hoping I could find it at a yard sale.

I asked if I should take this. I decided I wouldn't, but when I went back on Saturday, it was still there. After talking with the owner for a little bit, he said I could take it all, the hubs, fiber stuff, and he threw in that video card. As I was leaving, the guy's wife said she didn't want my money. She was just glad I was getting it out of their house. These might be interesting to play with. I've never had the chance to use fiber optic equipment before.

I picked up a box of comics for $3. The ones shown are the ones with their covers attached. I also showed a few coverless ones that I might keep. All the rest are in bad condition. They are missing their front and back covers. Do you guys have any idea what I should do with those?

[quote name='soccerstud652']What are you going to do with the fiber optics stuff?[/QUOTE]
I'll use them to connect the two hubs on top. I have a small network for playing around with. I've been trying to find some information on them without much success. It appears to have some kind of management feature, which I want to figure out how to access.

I forgot to mention that the device on the bottom, the other hub is from anohter sale.

I haven't been able to post as our DSL modem has been not working more than working...rrrg. AT&T did a line test and said it does appear to be the modem going out. Since it's 4 years old, it's not under warranty any more. So, they gave us 2 options. Option #1 = Have a service tech come out ($60) and check the modem. If it's bad, they replace it with a new one (about $100 or so). Option #2 = Go to BestBuy and purchase one ourself there (to save the service tech fee. BB does have one, and they want $70 (+ tax) for it. Not wanting to spend that much (I'm a CA, not just a CAG...hehe), I hit ebay (using my parent's internet connection) and found someone selling one for $20.05 shipped. It should be here some time this or early next week.

Anywho, that's why I haven't posted recently...not that there was much to post. I have not found ANYTHING the past two weekends while out at sales. It was a real bummer. I didn't even find any non-gaming stuff to buy.

I did take some old stuff I had in a box to a local store for trade in. I got $94 in store credit (or 1/2 that in cash). I traded it in and used the credit to pick up some GameGear stuff. My wife (and our boys) like the GG I picked up at a sale about 3 weeks ago enough that I wanted to get another one. I picked up a GameGear, 2 AC adapters, a GameGear Game Genie and a bunch of games with the credit.

They didn't have a great selection of games (mostly common ones), so one of the games I picked up (even thou it wasn't one of the ones I was necessarily looking for) was T2: The Arcade Game. I was a fan of it in the arcades and even had the SNES version at one time (even if the Super Scope did suck for the game, dang Nintendo and their "innovative" ideas for a light gun...lol). I'm glad I picked the game up because it's just a fun blast from the past sorta thing to sit down and kill a few minutes playing. :}

[quote name='erehwon']Nice finds. Could you post some pictures? By the way, who made the FFVII guide? If it is the Versus one, I think that one is worth a little bit more and also is a better quality guide.[/QUOTE]

It is the BradyGames Official Final Fantasy VII Strategy Guide.

bread's done
Back