Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='tominator89']So, how much cash do you guys take with you when you go out yard sale shopping?

I'm so used to using my debit card that I rarely carry much cash on me at all.[/QUOTE]

I usually bring 140. I only keep 40 on me though and the other I lock in my glove box so I don't look in my wallet and see a bunch of money and buy things I don't need.

5 twenties and 8 fives oh and a hand full of quarter out of my change jar. Usually around 5 bucks worth.

This morning I picked up God of War and a legacy of Kain game for PS2 for a quarter each. The sale started at 7 and I made it there at 9. Don't see how anyone walked past them but w/e.

Picked up an old cingular blackberry 7100 for 3 bucks. I've got a pearl and a curve. Might try this one out for a day when I'm bored. It works but hopefully not stolen. Oh well only 3 bucks.

Today was crap, a factory in town laid off 300 workers 2 weeks ago, and they literaly cleaned out all the sales on friday. I did manage to get a Monty Python Live DVD set and the Osbornes season 1 from a 7 yr/old lady. I will proably use the Osbournes as trade bait.

The only games I saw were some a guy brought out, all PS2 kids stuff.

Today, I managed to get a little bit, but not much.

$2.50
Shinning Force II (box is a little crushed, but has manual and game)
Phanasty Star III (includes case, manual, and game.)
Rings of Power (game, case, and manual)
Might and Magic (game , case, and manual)
Golden Axe II (game , case, and manual)

This all from a massive church sale. I wasn't expecting it to be as big as it was.

$4.99
MGS (complete black label copy)
Picked this up at pawn shop I visited between sales.

Got two Psx games, 007 The World Is Not Enough and Spec Ops: Covert Assault for 3 bucks at one sale.

Then a slightly yellowed SNES with A Link To The Past, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, a wrestling game, and all the hookups, and Pokemon Pinball (it was in the bag) for $5. Not bad considering I didn't have all three of those games, and I have some SNES games to throw in for an e-bay bundle.

Today was terrible. I didn't get out until a little after 9 (and most of the sales didn't start until 9 or 10 anyway) and just got in a little while ago -- practically everyone looked at me like I had five heads and one of those heads was phallus-shaped and on the end of a tentacle whenever I asked for video games, and a lot of plain rudeness accompanied the bewilderment.

I passed on a $10 360 controller and $10 Spiderman 3 (because those were $60 each according to the crabby bitch at the sale...she got ripped off on both counts, imho), and there was exactly one instance where they had games but sold them.

Nothing really noteworthy...

Beverly Hills Cop 2
Austin Powers
Both on widescreen DVD, sealed, $2

Jungle Book 2 DVD
$1 - can't say no to Disney DVDs

Metroid Prime (GC)
Roadkill (GC)
GameBoy classic with case, Adventure Island, SML2: 6 Golden Coins, and Tetris
TOTAL $5
Marked $2, $2, and $5, CIF'ed $5 for everything. Its all mint, the cube games are complete. They also had some second-string games, and, in retrospective, I probably should have grabbed everything and just offered $10, but I didn't realize today would be so dry.

Sega Genesis (Model 1) with hookups and controllers
Sonic The Hedgehog
Aladdin
Ariel - The Little Mermaid
Quackshot
Jurassic Park
Mortal Kombat (cart only)
Mortal Kombat 3 (cart only)
TOTAL: $5
The Genesis was stickered at $8 and $2 a game, but I picked up the games and CIF'ed $5 for the console and games. He hesitated then accepted.

Yoshi's Island DS
TOTAL $5
Only thing at an "apartment complex wide" sale...with only like fiveout of a hundred families participating. I asked about games and a kid came out with his DS stuff, and the mother kept going on about how expensive they were. This was the only one that I actually wanted, and figured $5 was fair, since its complete and mint.

I was hoping to find some more cool stuff to bring to the con next week, but I can't really complain after the last couple of weeks. =)

I whet to a garage sale and picked up a few NES games, which are quite dirty.
Could someone tell me what would be the best way of cleaning the cartridge without damaging the Labels???

[quote name='TiKi2']I whet to a garage sale and picked up a few NES games, which are quite dirty.
Could someone tell me what would be the best way of cleaning the cartridge without damaging the Labels???[/quote]
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. By far the best for cleaning all your carts, controllers, consoles, and are the safest for labels. Just a general tip: never rub too hard over the labels, no matter what cleaning device you are using. I've never had a problem with the Magic Erasers, but always take extra precaution.

Not a whole lot today, but some good stuff.
Got a few common NES games for 50 cents each, 9 total, 8 I didn't have, nothing special at all.
The highlight find of the day was this
for $45 I got:
sw3.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw1.jpg

sw4.jpg

a few of the things are missing some pieces and they need some cleaning, but a great find nonetheless.

That Beverly Hills Yard Sale this morning a couple blocks over from me was...pretty good. I spent a LOT more than I wanted to, but here is what I got. I will take pics later.

I didn't even realize that the city is so anal about having to get a permit in order to have a freaking yard sale. The people throwing it had to get a freaking permit and post it on the palm tree out front. I got there at 8:30 for the sale posted to begin at 9 am, and by the time 9 am rolled around we were lined up 25+ at the entrance gate.

Here is what one of the craigslist ads for the sale said (this must have been updated late yesterday, because the last I checked it still only had "various video games included Super Nintendo, Ps1, PS2, Dreamcast Sega" listed, not the actual games. I was very worried it would be a bust, but it turned out quite good:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/gms/723766432.html

UPDATED LISTING: I keep finding more stuff!! LOADS of treasures, hope to see you there!!!!
Saturday, June 21 9:00am-5:00pm (no early birds admitted per city regulations)
706 N. Canon Dr., Beverly Hills

Toys: beanie babies, Muffy Bears, American Girl dolls/accessories/clothing/furniture, Bitty Baby clothing/accessories, tea sets, misc. doll clothes, educational games/toys, stuffed animals

Hobbies: LOTS of designer, novelty, luxury, and acrylic yarn, some homespun yarn, beads, lanyard string, craft kits, fabric

Sports: golf pull cart, golf shoes (size 6), roller blades, ski boots, skis, and whatever else I can pull out of the garage, mini croquet set,

Games: puzzles, board games (vintage and new), video games, video game systems and controllers (Sega Dreamcast, Microsoft XBox, Nintendo 64, Playstation 2, Super Nintendo)

Furniture: Pottery Barn rocker lounger (large, cream colored), bar stool, patio chairs and cushions, window seat cushions, butterfly chairs,

Home Decor: chandeliers, paintings, framed posters and art, boyfriend pillow, TV wall mount, baskets, mahogany wall mounted mirrors, figurines, wall hangings, etc.

Accessories: Loads of purses, jewelry, ribbons, backpacks, luggage

Clothing: t-shirts, scarves, women's clothes (size 0-4), MANY men's suits (size 40 short), ties

Kitchen and houseware: glasses, waffle irons, egg cooker, vases, small vacuum, dust-buster, glasses, cooler lunchbags, drawer organizers, crock pot, and much more

School supplies: Binders, folders, crayons, colored pencils, etc.

Books: High school summer reading, children and young adult coloring books, educational workbooks, test study guides, scifi/fantasy novels and more

UPDATE: LIST OF VIDEO GAMES FOR SALE PS2: Midway arcade treasures 1, Space Channel 5, Virtua Fighter 4, Medal of Honor: Vanguard, On-Musha 2:, Samurai's Destiny, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Prince of Persia: The sands of Time, We *heart* Katamari, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Antigrav (with eyetoy camera) XBox: Crazy Taxi: High Roller, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Halo 2, Enter the Matrix, Simpsons Road Rage, Halo: Combat Evolved, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Star Wars: Starfighter (Special Edition), Oddworld: Munch's Oddesy, Sukedi, JSRF (jetset radio future), Project Gotham Racing Dreamcast: Tony Hawk's Proskater 2 Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy 3 N64: Mario Kart 64, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey, F-Zero X, Extreme-G, Mario Golf, Killer Instinct: Gold, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire Dreamcast: Grandia II Gamecube: Donkey Konga (with congo drums, don't know if they work), Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets,The Simpsons Hit & Run

Here is what I took (PS2 was marked $20, games were marked $3 each, GC was marked $20, SNES was marked $10 w/ FF3 inside it!!! Prices were good to start haggling from, ME LIKE!):

1. Black Gamecube, 2 1st party black controllers, all hookups
2. Newer/Smaller PS2, 2 1st party controllers, all hookups, official memory card
3. 2 Sega Dreamcast 1st party normal/grey controllers, 2 VMUs, 1 rumble pack included
4. Super Nintendo system (original), all hookups, no controllers, very little discoloration
5. 3 first party XBox S Controllers, black
6. We *Heart* Katamari PS2 complete
7. Antigrav w/ Eyetoy complete
8. MGS2 Substance XBox complete
9. Jet Set Radio Future XBox complete
10. Final Fantasy 3, cart only, SNES, MINT - will be on trading list shortly after testing
11. Grandia 2 Dreamcast, missing manual and second disc (music disc)
12. N64 Mario Golf cart only - might go on trade list
13. N64 Mario Kart cart only - it might go on the trade list
14. Zelda Windwaker complete - will be on the trading list
15. Parasite Eve PS1 COMPLETE - will be on trading list shortly after testing
16. Mario Sunshine complete
17. Metroid Prime complete
18. Some GB or GBC Game and Watch game, with Mario and Luigi pictured and Japanese writing
19. I got a stack of comics from Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, #'s 115-125. (they asked $1 each)
20. Framed, full size Matrix poster, absolutely flawless (marked $18)
I think there is some other stuff, but I'm in a hurry so I will check out the 2 boxes I filled with this loot later to see what else. At least a couple of other games.

CiF'd one of the 2 teenage daughters working the sale $40 (2 twenties) for my pile of goods. I should have brought smaller bills to make it look like a lot more money, one mistake I made. They came back with $60, we settled at $50.

I don't think I did too bad, considering that includes a working PS2, a working GC, and a working SNES (tested these first thing when I got home), and some very good games a couple of which I have been looking for. I was very worried the sale would be a dud, or they would be asking too much for their stuff. I really wanted to get the American Girl stuff for my baby daughter, but by the time I pulled the video games, that stuff was LOOOOOOOONG gone. There was a lot of other stuff I wanted to check, but I figured I did all right, and I asked the daughters and the dad if they had any more games, they said they would check and get back to me since they already had my email (I contacted them before the sale, earlier in the week).

The FF3 cart was a very pleasant surprise, as was Grandia 2 (sad about the missing music CD) and Parasite Eve, because from outside while waiting for the sale, I could see the XBox and Gamecube cases. And We Love Katamari, man I was stoked to pick that up, complete and mint. The games are overall in excellent condition, most discs are flawless.

I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Today sucked, I picked up some CDs and some other junk not worth even posting about. One yard sale I left pretty angry at (because I get angry when people overprice shit I want). They had a complete boxed Atari 2600, a loose Atari Mini and maybe 30 games or so and wanted 40 bucks for all of it. I CIF'd 20 and she practically laughed in my face saying that there was no way she'd go below 40.

I was temped to go back at the end of the day, when it was obviously still sitting there, and offer her 20 again.

EDIT:

Also, some guy had an Atari Lynx with approximately 10 games and a "handmade case". Yes, he actually made a wooden case that looks like something you'd find in an over exaggerated 80's movie, had a cherry wood-grain finish, ha! Anyway, he originally wanted a staggering 100.00 for it, which is insane even by ebay standards. I offered 30 for it, which I felt was well over what I'd normally pay, but I really wanted to show you guys this insane case he made. Eventually we haggled and I settled at 40 being the max I was willing to spend, and 50 being the lowest he'd go, even though 50 was "busting his balls". I couldn't imagine myself spending 50 on it so on it stays with the guy who told me about the time he went to the beach last year with a portable record playing and blasted RATT's Round and Round and then proceeded to sing it and play the air guitar while he mouthed solo riffs. This guy had to be 25 years old, tops, I was incredible embarassed for him.

dsc04662ym2.jpg

Star Fox: $2

Zelda: Link's Awakening: $0.10

Dragon Warrior
NARC
Total: $2

Monster Party: $6

Thundercade
Silent Service
Snake Rattle N Roll
Mach Rider
Tiger-Heli
Rollergames
NFL
NES controller w/ grip
Total: $2

Not a great day for game stuff today, but at least I built up my NES collection a good amount. I did find lots of computer stuff, though, so I'm happy. Hit up a bunch of sales and just found a few things, took a lunch break and checked out a game store and grabbed Monster Party (been looking for it forever), then more sales, more computer stuff, and finally the last NES bundle at a sale that looked like it would be all kids toys.

The only interesting story today was at one sale I asked for games, and they said they had an Atari. I'm not usually to interested, but after seeing the random Pepsi Invaders find a few weeks ago, I figured why not. A few minutes later, and he brought back an incredibly dusty NES and asked for $25. So if you're like me and usually say you're not interested in Atari stuff, you may be surprised by what people think an Atari is.

[quote name='moiety']Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. By far the best for cleaning all your carts, controllers, consoles, and are the safest for labels. Just a general tip: never rub too hard over the labels, no matter what cleaning device you are using. I've never had a problem with the Magic Erasers, but always take extra precaution.[/quote]
They're safe on NES labels, but watch out on N64 labels! I tried getting some grit off a Mario Party 2 cart and I ended up giving Mario a smudge for a nose.

img_4813-225x300.jpg

Prices and summary of a pretty successful day

Cmosfm-- Your story DEFINITELY reminds me of many uncomfortable yard sale moments in recent weeks.

Does anyone else here get sellers who are a little TOO pushy, as in, trying to sell you stuff you clearly don't want?

A few weeks ago, we were in one of the trashier parts of my small town. I pull up, there's a young woman sitting in a plastic chair on the back porch, smoking a cig, in an oversized dirty shirt. Her kid's running around half nekkid. The boyfriend or whoever comes out, shirtless of course (a shirt would be overdressed for your own yard sale, y'know) with tattoos all over. He takes ONE look at me and says "Hold on, I got some speakers I wanna sell ya."

Huh?? Do I look like I need speakers? I'm pretty white and nerdy and maybe a little preppy by my town's standards.

So he gets in his car to turn it around just so he can show me his sweet woofers. At this point, I walk quickly back to my car and CTRL+ALT+ESCAPE. Good lord that was awkward.

And then today, another lady starts giving me a laundry list of what she's got inside. "Do you need interior doors??" Ummm........ no, thanks. "A bathroom sink?" Nope, sorry. "Here, I got clothes racks, three of em, and they roll around." Ooohkay, leaving now.

[quote name='theGrue']
They're safe on NES labels, but watch out on N64 labels! I tried getting some grit off a Mario Party 2 cart and I ended up giving Mario a smudge for a nose.[/quote]True. *generally* Magic erasers are better on glossy than matte surfaces, I find. NES labels, OK, N64 labels, use much caution. Also, they generally work great on glossy Gamecube disc labels, but can damage matte type PS2 disc labels if you're not careful. Always remember that it's a mild abraisive and you can always go gently and do a "little more" but you can never "put back."

One more tip that I remembered today while cleaning my new NES..... be careful around the red NES logo with a magic eraser! It WILL come off if you're too harsh. Luckily I remembered that before I did any damage.

first video game finds of the season for me today:

Waynes World (SNES)
Fester's Quest (NES)
Smash Bros. (N64)

Asked $1 each....paid .50 each (lady took w/o hesitation) The weird thing was she just had these three games. I asked if she had more and she said that was it. She was just setting up so I know that someone didnt get there before me. hmmm.

Great finds everybody......

On a related note.... what the heck happened to snotknocker? He hasn't posted any super amazing finds lately, has he? Hopefully he didn't have a massive stack of old game-age fall over, and get buried under a pile of super cheap games and can't get out.....

[quote name='Cmosfm']Today sucked, I picked up some CDs and some other junk not worth even posting about. One yard sale I left pretty angry at (because I get angry when people overprice shit I want). They had a complete boxed Atari 2600, a loose Atari Mini and maybe 30 games or so and wanted 40 bucks for all of it. I CIF'd 20 and she practically laughed in my face saying that there was no way she'd go below 40.

I was temped to go back at the end of the day, when it was obviously still sitting there, and offer her 20 again.

EDIT:

Also, some guy had an Atari Lynx with approximately 10 games and a "handmade case". Yes, he actually made a wooden case that looks like something you'd find in an over exaggerated 80's movie, had a cherry wood-grain finish, ha! Anyway, he originally wanted a staggering 100.00 for it, which is insane even by ebay standards. I offered 30 for it, which I felt was well over what I'd normally pay, but I really wanted to show you guys this insane case he made. Eventually we haggled and I settled at 40 being the max I was willing to spend, and 50 being the lowest he'd go, even though 50 was "busting his balls". I couldn't imagine myself spending 50 on it so on it stays with the guy who told me about the time he went to the beach last year with a portable record playing and blasted RATT's Round and Round and then proceeded to sing it and play the air guitar while he mouthed solo riffs. This guy had to be 25 years old, tops, I was incredible embarassed for him.[/quote]
Whatever, you got an awesome Dreamcast collection for peanuts on SA-Mart. :p

[quote name='moiety']Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. By far the best for cleaning all your carts, controllers, consoles, and are the safest for labels. Just a general tip: never rub too hard over the labels, no matter what cleaning device you are using. I've never had a problem with the Magic Erasers, but always take extra precaution.[/quote]

Do you guys dampen it or use the eraser dry? (I wet it a little) I was impressed it takes off permanent marker off of the cart and off of labels without damaging them. It seems to only work well on textured items, not on smooth ones like a genisis. The wiki needs to be updated with the best ways to clean each console.

[quote name='moiety']Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. By far the best for cleaning all your carts, controllers, consoles, and are the safest for labels. Just a general tip: never rub too hard over the labels, no matter what cleaning device you are using. I've never had a problem with the Magic Erasers, but always take extra precaution.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info will try it out

[quote name='theGrue']Whatever, you got an awesome Dreamcast collection for peanuts on SA-Mart. :p[/QUOTE]

Haha, well, I didn't know there was other SA Members here on CAG. Yard Sales still sucked though, lol.

I had my first good garage sale find in a couple years yesterday.

Original top loader NES
light gun
dog bone controller

15 games:

Pro Wrestling
Roger Clemen's MVP Baseball
Sesame Street 123
Super Mario/Duck Hunt
Super Mario II
Super Mario III
Athena
Hoops
P'radikus Conflict (Blue cart, needed this one)
James Bond Jr. (Mint...needed this one, I think)
Double Dribble
TMNT
The Addams Family
Friday the 13th
Castle of Dragon

Older lady was asking $20 for the entire box (NES + games), but I talked her down to $15 for everything.

With gas prices so high, I've been limited my garage sales this year. My new rule is to only hit neighborhood sales and only if they are on my side of town. Only used about $5 in gas on this trip.

[quote name='cranguy']slowdive-- The instructions in the box say to wet the eraser and then wring out excess water.[/quote]

I know, but I was curious if it works better dry on some consoles/surfaces to others, or if anyone has tried.

Wife called me on the phone Friday morning. She saw a sale on Fri after dropping 1 of my son's off at school.

Called because there was a stack of games and ended up getting:

Havest Moon Save the Homeland PS2 $3
Metal Gear Solid GBC .25 Cents
Monopoly PS1 $1

HM and Monopoly were complete. MGS was the cartridge only.

[quote name='Rictor']

With gas prices so high, I've been limited my garage sales this year. My new rule is to only hit neighborhood sales and only if they are on my side of town. Only used about $5 in gas on this trip.[/QUOTE]

Yea, this is what I generally do. I also try to find a large concentration of sales, park, and walk between them. It does slow me down some, but I save on gas and get some exercise.

[quote name='schuerm26']Wife called me on the phone Friday morning. She saw a sale on Fri after dropping 1 of my son's off at school.

Called because there was a stack of games and ended up getting:

Havest Moon Save the Homeland PS2 $3
Metal Gear Solid GBC .25 Cents
Monopoly PS1 $1

HM and Monopoly were complete. MGS was the cartridge only.[/quote]

That Metal Gear Solid game is worth quite a bit, especially right now with MGS4. NICE score.

So I went out this morning and seen a sign for a church sale. It was the second day or so I went there after I got breakfast just to see if they had anything. Found a game.com with three games. Wheel of Fortune, Resident Evil 2, and frogger. They wanted 10, wouldn't budge on the price because they said it was 20 yesterday. Walked away and got to the car and thought about it and went back and got it. Didn't know much about game.com so thought I'd give it a shot. Checked online looked like a saved a few bucks than ebay. Got home and played Resident Evil 2 for a bit, realized its a pile of ****. Oh well I'm sure I'll at least have some fun with wheel of fortune.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']first video game finds of the season for me today:

Waynes World (SNES)
Fester's Quest (NES)
Smash Bros. (N64)

Asked $1 each....paid .50 each (lady took w/o hesitation) The weird thing was she just had these three games. I asked if she had more and she said that was it. She was just setting up so I know that someone didnt get there before me. hmmm.[/quote]

I hate sales like that, I found a SNES, a PS1, a N64 power brick, and abou 10 NES games in a box last week, and that was all the lady had. Crazy!!

as I said earlier I found nothing yesterday. after I posted that I went to the fleamarket and they had noting either!! they always have games there!! Hopefully next week will be better!!

Didn't go out this weekend but I did manage to sneak in some sales fiday before my wife and I went on a mini-vacation for the weekend.

I stumbled across this saleafter driving by it 3 times. It turns out the sale was in the guy's fenced in backyard. Anyway, I show up and look and immediatly spot a box of NES games. Upon closer inspection I saw that most were sports titles... Woo... I did pick up some decent titles for trade in or my tradelist. I picked up:

Donkey Kong 3
Gremlins 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Legend of Zelda
Super C

I gave a cool $5 for these at a dollar each. I tried to CIF $3 but no luck...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2602362614/

I picked this up at the first sale I went to. This was a nice start to the day. I picked up:

Yellow GBC
GBC Carry Case
GBC Worm Light
Tomb Raider (GBC, Not Pictured)

I saw the Game Boy had a $5 sticker on it and the case had a $0.50 on it. I CIF'ed $3 for the lot and took it home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2601534577/

I saw that this was another of hte forgotten realms series style of games. I looked through it and it is missing the first disk but has 3 other disks containing all the forgotten realms games on the other disks. So I CIF'ed $1 and it was taken with no problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2602362060/

This was an interesting find. I was driving home and saw this sale on the way so I naturally pulled in. I found the following after looking around fora bit:

Mario McDonald's Toy
Green Day International Superhits CD
Animaniacs Ten Pin Alley (PS)
Blue's Clues: Blue's Big Musical (PS, Sealed)

After thinking about it, I CIF'ed $3 and after a couple big sighs, she reluctantly took it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2601533961/

I went to this sale on my way to another later in the day after work and found this on the table:

DragonBall Z Bodaki 3

I CIF'ed $2 and after a couple seconds he took it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2601533739/

finds64jfjfg.jpg

Some Gamestop stuff, some flea market stuff from this week.

GS stuff on the left:
GBA official AC Adapter - $3.xx
Silent Scope Complete - $10.xx
Shin Megami Tensai Devil Summoner - $19.xx

Flea Market Stuff:
Disgaea - $8
Super C and Super Mario 3 - $5
Super Mario Kart - $3
Gladiator - $3
Newmann/Haas racing - $1
Gauntlet Legends - $1
N64 VHS - $1
Shadow of the Colossus, Vagrant Story, FF8 and RE3 - $15
Final Fantasy 3 - $7
GB Pocket, Tetris, Kirby Pinball Land and Pokemon Pinball - $15
AC adapter for a Sonicwall router - $5

I paid a bit much on a couple of things, but got a lot of stuff I wanted.

The one thing I don't understand is why people tend to act all offended because you offer them lower than their asking price for their stuff...and then take it like they desperately need the 2 or 3 bucks anyway.

[quote name='Cmosfm']The one thing I don't understand is why people tend to act all offended because you offer them lower than their asking price for their stuff...and then take it like they desperately need the 2 or 3 bucks anyway.[/QUOTE]

I've actually had a guy try to fight me because I offered him $1 on a Game Boy Camera he wanted $5 for.

Epic week for me! I will only list the games stuff, but I did get about $600 (conservatively graded) worth of comics for $38. A lot of Dell Giants from the 1940s-1950s range, Ult. Spiderman 2 (for .25), some nice spiderman promo books, etc. On to the games...

picked these up for .25 each

and these .25 each

these were .10 each. The one piece and Dragon Quest VIII Demos are both sealed

These were $1 each

These were 2 for $3

CIF $5 for all 3 games

Thanks to the CAG who posted about this game, would have left it if I didn't see it posted here. $1

That's it for now, but I do have to take some pics of my 'big lot'...

Phantasmagoria and Shiver for $1 each.

This weekend we won't be heading out - we found out yesterday that our neighborhood is having a community sale, and we want to participate.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slowdive21']Here are a couple of things I forgot and my 'big lot'. I paid $1 for the Zelda GC, $20 for the N64/GBA lot and $71 for the big lot. The kicker with the 'big lot', is she "just threw away the boxes and manuals last week" for the N64/SNES games. I almost cried.

Here are the pics...

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm270/buyitallcheap/Epiclot/[/quote]

All I can say is that it is amazing... The Zelda GC for $1... I saw a pawn shop here in town trying to pawn it for $25 which is still a respectable price.

^^^Yeah, I went in a GS for penny guides and noticed it was $25 or something there. I am not sure, but I think the best games I got are:

SNES Mario RPG, SNES Gaia

N64 Yoshi's story, Majora's mask gold/lenticular (collector's edition), Super Smash Bros, Mario Party,M. golf ,M. tennis.

I basically got every Mario/Yoshi/Kirby/DKong game. Are any gameboy games worth anything?

Sorry the pics are so bad...I found the lots I forgot and the big lot in a different area then I normally garage sale. I think I may continue to GS there rather than my hometown.

[quote name='slowdive21']

I basically got every Mario/Yoshi/Kirby/DKong game. Are any gameboy games worth anything?

[/quote]

Some are. I know that is a cop out answer but the titles you have are pretty decent. The DX version of Zelda is better that the one you have butthe donkey kong lands I've seen for between $5 - $10. Still everything together was stellar deal.Also I noticed that you got Tails Adventure. That game fetches a decent price for a game gear game as well.

Stopped by one this morning, first Thursday sale ever BTW, that advertised Nintendo system, games and carrier. Had a N64 and 13 games and a humongous plastic box that was the "carrying case". Over half the games were old sports games and the remaining were nondescript, excluding Diddy Kong Racing and Goldeneye. Asking price $125. I have a sneaky suspicion that it will still be there Saturday afternoon when they are packing everything back up that does not sell.

Only hit 3 sales today in my new search area...didn't need to hit anymore since I am happy with my finds!

I got to this sale 30 minutes early since their signs were already up (code here is you are open once your signs are up). They advertised Genesis, Playstation , and the gameboy. As soon as I saw the sega CD and the amount of games I knew I would buy them. 3 people came up while I was looking it over and I said "I am taking this" So I lost the option to CIF, but I looked at the gameboy SP and figured it was worth $10 for it. I then found the Pokémon silver game that I thought was somewhat hard to find so ??I CIFed $40 for the sega CD and all of her gameboy stuff. (The gameboy games were marked $1 each) I was going to buy the system and a couple of games anyway so I only paid a couple of bucks more for the rest of the lot.

I left the PS1 mini and 10 games since she wanted $40 and they were crap sports games.

Note this is the first time I have ever seen the menacer gun. Oh I saw the 32x games and asked if she had one and she said she didn't bring it because it is broken. I asked if I could have it and she said she threw it out and I could get it, but she said she thinks it may have been thrown out with kitchen garbage, so I said forget it.

Magic Carpet Plus (PC) (Complete)
Road Rash With Instructions (PC)

$1

Found this marked a $1 for both with initials by the price so I didn't even think it was worth the trouble of trying to haggle and the price was reasonable as it was I though. Road Rash came with a poster which I'm pretty sure is the instuctions.

Battletoads With Instructions & Generic Case
Metroid II With Case

$4

This is a good example of the kind of people I (or I should say everyone) hate(s) dealing with at yardsales. Found a small plastic bin with a Gameboy Color marked $5 and about 20 some Gameboy, Gameboy Color games each marked $3 with initials on each. I didn't think it was going to work but I picked up the whole thing and offered $10 which was refused. Lady pretty much replied saying that if they don't sell (and wouldn't let it for cheapish like I offered) that her son was just going to give them away to a friend instead to which I said he wasen't going to make a lot of money doing so :) She basicly said that the friend was poor (for a lack of a more polite way of putting it) and tried telling me that these games are still $20 in stores to which I disagreed and said that she must be getting them confused with GBA or NDS games. I then offered a buck a game for a few of them to which she said she'd meet me half way at $2 and I just grabbed 2. I left behind a few good ones Zelda DX, Tetris and I think Pokemon Yellow and Blue. I actually went back to this sale just before 10 AM since I decided I should have grabbed Zelda DX at $2 when I noticed my copy had some label damage and figured I should also grab the Pokemon games only to see that all of the Gameboy stuff was gone. I figured that either some old lady picked everything up for about $20-30 for a youngster in the family or they just brought the stuff inside if it wasen't selling and only getting lower then wanted offers, hopefully to give to the kid's friends if that wasen't a lie.

NES 1st Party Controllers x2
Gray NES Zapper
Xbox Duke Controller
6 NES Dust Covers
3 SNES Dust Covers
A Bunch of Manuals With Some Misc Papers

Manuals Only

Cosmo Tank (Gameboy) [Never realized that this game was published/developed? by Atlus]

NES Manuals

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Superman
Jaws
Spy Hunter
T&C Surf Designs
Adventures of Lolo
Captain Skyhawk
Cobra Triangle
Micky Mousecapade

SNES Manuals

NBA Jam
Super Mario Kart
Paperboy 2
Pilotwings
Super Mario All*Stars
Super Mario World
Uniracers (Along with a Course Map Poster)
Donkey Kong Country 2 Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country
SNES Mouse
Mega Man X
Top Gear 2
SNES System
F-Zero
Mario Paint
Top Gear
Stunt Race
Super Bases Loaded
Star Fox
Super Play Action Football Play Book
5 Maps that go along with the SNES Madden games

NES Games (Cart Only)

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Top Gun

NES Games With Manuals

Adventures of Link, The
Excitebike
Paperboy
Pinbot
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Rad Racer
Simpsons: Bart vs The Space Mutants
Tiger-Heli

SNES Games (Madden 94 being the only one without a manual)

Harley's Humongous Adventure
Madden '93
Madden '94
Madden '95
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Got to this sale at about 8:45 and was kind of surprised that this stuff was still around as this sale started at 7. I rarely if ever find anything 16-bit or older at yardsales without a system so the games were probably having a harder time selling then they should have not having a system with them. Haggled a little bit and ended up at 7.50 for everything but the Madden games that I left behind. Has I was leaving I said I didn't grab them as I figured I'd never play them but asked if they wanted to get rid of the 3 Madden games left behind which the guy said I could also take them for another .25. I didn't even notice a sign hanging down on table that said .50 a game as the games were piled up at the one corner and the sign was over on the corner across from the games. Looking at some of these manuals makes me wonder if they had more games especially some of these SNES games for sale that might have sold earlier such as Mario Kart, World, All*Stars and the DKC games but it's hard to imagine somebody buying games like those but leaving behind Yoshi's Island wich was right on top in the open. This is actually the first time I've seen Yoshi's Island and Mega Man in the wild in years and I was happy to get the Mega Man manuals as I didn't have any of the NES Mega Man manuals in my collection and not to mention that the original Mega Man is my favorite Mega Man game, probably partly nostagia as I had it when it first came out years ago.

It should also be noted that the guy and girl running this sale were younger probably about 25-30 and I seem to have better luck most of the time at yardsales with younger people over soccer moms (like the lady with the GameBoy stuff today) selling junior's stuff as they seem to be the ones trying usually to make some money around my area and not just hoping to get rid of stuff that's never used.

non find BS stories

The lady running a sale on Friday told me that her husband had a Sega Saturn and a few games he was selling for $10 when I asked about video games. She didn't know where they were and didn't offer to look for them but instead asked me to come back tomarrow (Saturday). I got to the sale about 5 minutes before 8 and they had noticably less stuff out then they did on Friday so I figured they might still be setting up and I'd give it a few minutes. I walked around the corner to another sale then came back only to be told that her husband just sold the system. I though it was kind of rude as she probably could have held it for me for at least a half hour to an hour since I showed interest in it the day before and bothered to come back to their sale. I do kind of wonder if they changed their mind about selling it at their yardsale and told me a little white lie about selling it.

I asked about video games at one sale and the 50 something lady told me that she had an NES system with games that she wanted to get rid of but didn't bring it with her as she didn't know what it was worth and before I could politely ask doing the number thing she said that she was planning on starting an eBay store so I figured no reason to even bother trying to make an offter on it as this kind of person will probably be scared to let it go not knowing what it's worth even if I made a reasonable offter considering the trouble she'd be saving compared to selling something like this online. She also said that she had an Atari around. I can't help but wonder if this is what people I leave my number with think and never call back as they decide that an old system they never use and don't want might be worth so much and they don't want to part with it for anything less then that ball park figure. I haven't seen the Genesis from last week on eBay so I think that some of these people that have an old system they wouldn't mind selling don't want to let it go too cheap yet they are too lazy to ever get around to all of the work it takes to sell it online so they end up just keeping it :D

Decent start to the weekend

JVC X'Eye System Complete
17 Semi OK Genesis Games (best one, Mutant League Football)
Packaged X'Eye Games (Boxing, Encyclopedia, & Karaoke)
2 Controllers
$10

SNES Slim Complete w/ 2 controllers
8 Games (incl. Donkey Kong Country, Tecmo SB, Hey Punk, & fuck)

Wanted $15, offered $10 settled on $12

Pokemon Emerald (GBA)
$3

Wow at least you guys got something. At the 10 or so garage sales I hit I saw a GB advance for $25

Gameboy color and games for $20. They wouldn't budge on the price

Fourth sale I hit had A Halo edition 360 with one crappy game for $400, and a bunch of overpriced xbox games at $7-$10 a piece.

Sigh....should have offered $150 on the 360.

Wish me luck this weekend, between, out of work people hitting up the sales today, and a 60% chance of rain tomorrow things arent looking up for me this week, I guss if i find nothing it will jsut be more money to put into my Wii fund.

The only thing I picked up today was a Hellsing manga for ten cents. I didn't see too much else. I did pass on a $20 MGS essentials. I'd rather spend a little extra to get it new. I also passed on a $10 Conker Live and Reloaded. Guy wouldn't go down.

bread's done
Back