Official 2008 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='slowdive21']Epic week for me! I will only list the games stuff, but I did get about $600 (conservatively graded) worth of comics for $38. A lot of Dell Giants from the 1940s-1950s range, Ult. Spiderman 2 (for .25), some nice spiderman promo books, etc. On to the games...

picked these up for .25 each

and these .25 each

these were .10 each. The one piece and Dragon Quest VIII Demos are both sealed

These were $1 each

These were 2 for $3

CIF $5 for all 3 games

Thanks to the CAG who posted about this game, would have left it if I didn't see it posted here. $1

That's it for now, but I do have to take some pics of my 'big lot'...[/quote]

I actually couldn't get rid of the extra 200 copies of Ultimate Spider-Man #2 we had when it came out...they collected dust in the 3/$1 bin for 2 years before being moved into storage. Another year later we moved them out of storage and charged like $15 each for em. Go figure comic nerds. In a few years, the Ultimate series will be cancelled and the back issues worthless...as soon as Bendis and the other big names leave Marvel.

But those Dell Giants will hold their value and only go up in price. Personally, I only collect vintage comics, mainly from the 30s to the 50s. I read the modern stuff, but it isn't worth the paper it's printed on in the long run. I trade it off while it's hot for the vintage stuff. I actually got some nice silver age X-Men comics years ago for Zen Intergalactic Ninja #1 when it was a hot book...found my copy in a 25 cent bin, which is probably where it is today. Then there were all those Valiant comics that I traded for silver age Marvels before they dropped back to reality. Oh, those silly 90's speculators. Gotta love 'em.

[quote name='FOnewearl']
This is a good example of the kind of people I (or I should say everyone) hate(s) dealing with at yardsales. Found a small plastic bin with a Gameboy Color marked $5 and about 20 some Gameboy, Gameboy Color games each marked $3 with initials on each. I didn't think it was going to work but I picked up the whole thing and offered $10 which was refused. Lady pretty much replied saying that if they don't sell (and wouldn't let it for cheapish like I offered) that her son was just going to give them away to a friend instead to which I said he wasen't going to make a lot of money doing so :) She basicly said that the friend was poor (for a lack of a more polite way of putting it) and tried telling me that these games are still $20 in stores to which I disagreed and said that she must be getting them confused with GBA or NDS games. I then offered a buck a game for a few of them to which she said she'd meet me half way at $2 and I just grabbed 2. I left behind a few good ones Zelda DX, Tetris and I think Pokemon Yellow and Blue. I actually went back to this sale just before 10 AM since I decided I should have grabbed Zelda DX at $2 when I noticed my copy had some label damage and figured I should also grab the Pokemon games only to see that all of the Gameboy stuff was gone. I figured that either some old lady picked everything up for about $20-30 for a youngster in the family or they just brought the stuff inside if it wasen't selling and only getting lower then wanted offers, hopefully to give to the kid's friends if that wasen't a lie.
[/spoiler][/quote]

I actually charge $5 each at my garage sales for cart-only Gameboy games and I've sold quite a few at that price since I don't usually have crappy games. It's about the same price I get per game on Ebay without the fees and hassle of Ebay. Any less than that, and I just throw them on Ebay. It doesn't surprise me that their games sold at $3 a pop.

It's funny, I would never pay more than $1 for a Gameboy game at a garage sale unless it was some amazingly rare game that I had to have, yet my philosophy changes when it comes to selling games.

today I learned the valuable lesson of checking cases before I buy something, I saw Fire Emblem for the GC at a sale for $3 so I grabbed it....got home and checked it and Beyblade was in the case instead...then I hit a pothole and messed up my fiancee's car....a bad day indeed....

Today was a pretty good day for yard sales. I finally got a cheap SNES bundle. For 5 bucks I got:
SNES top loader with hookup and 1 controller
Earthworm Jim cart+manual
Donkey Kong Country Cart only
Donkey Kong Country 3 cart only
Jungle Strike cart only
Road Runner's Death Valley Ralley cart only
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing cart only
Total Carnage cart only
Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball cart only
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball cart only
Super Mario World just the manual
Super Mario Kart just the manual

The only problem is the SNES doesn't work. Whenever I turn it on on channel 3 it just goes black, and channel 1 just blinks and then goes back to white noise. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks. ^_^

Not much for gaming this week, Sonic Mega Collection on the gamecube and a Namco collection for PS2, buck each.

Did get 6 cds for 5 bucks at a different sale though...

My competition was out in full force today. I got several "We already sold those..." today. I managed to pick up:

Max Payne PS2 - $1
Mulan 2-disc Special Edition DVD - $1

Ok, this is weird.
I tried plugging the A/V cable from the PS2 into the SNES A/V cable slot, and it shows up now, just in black and white. Is there any way to fix this or do I need to buy an actual SNES A/V cable?

[quote name='darkslime']Ok, this is weird.
I tried plugging the A/V cable from the PS2 into the SNES A/V cable slot, and it shows up now, just in black and white. Is there any way to fix this or do I need to buy an actual SNES A/V cable?[/QUOTE]

Do you have a Nintendo 64 or Gamecube? It's the same cable.

[quote name='ThePoisonNinja']Do you have a Nintendo 64 or Gamecube? It's the same cable.[/quote] Not here. Once I go to my dad's house I'll try it with the GCN cable.

[quote name='Rictor']I actually charge $5 each at my garage sales for cart-only Gameboy games and I've sold quite a few at that price since I don't usually have crappy games. It's about the same price I get per game on Ebay without the fees and hassle of Ebay. Any less than that, and I just throw them on Ebay. It doesn't surprise me that their games sold at $3 a pop.

It's funny, I would never pay more than $1 for a Gameboy game at a garage sale unless it was some amazingly rare game that I had to have, yet my philosophy changes when it comes to selling games.[/QUOTE]

Most of the games I didn't mention like Men In Black for the GameBoy Color surely are complete poop and a waste of time to play even when they came out and would be hard enough to sell on eBay for $5ish shipped :D

What are some games you sold for $5 at your yardsale? Or at least the best & worst game you remember selling at $5?

I've noticed especially from this thread that's it's regional with how much and how fast games sell for at yardsales but I'd be surprised if this GB/GBC stuff I saw last week sold all in one shot at 2-3 per a game.....yet you never know if the right person walked up it might be a deal in their eyes thinking that these things are 20+ dollars in stores like the seller though lol

I sold some 3rd party Star Wars controllers for the PS2 for $5 a pop a few years ago holding a yardsale fairly easy yet couldn't sell a new copy of Feel The Magic for 7 or 8 dollars, probably not too many people that owned or knew somebody in the family with a DS that visited the sale that day though.

I don't think having a yardsale around here with the idea of selling stuff for what it's "worth" to you (you being the owner of the stuff) or on ebay works in smaller areas like where I live. I see stuff that is considered collectiable fairly often at yardsales for what seems like collector's value type prices and I always think that these people will be lucky to sell any of it and realistically will only sell 1-3 things at best if the right person shows up. A good example is when I saw a table full of Hess Truck collectables and noticed some of them marked at prices like $20. I also tend to see Nascar collectables from time to time around here with the same idea of selling at collector's prices right on the front lawn :)

Also, some unsuccessful sales.
Some lady had Driv3r and some other racing game on the table. I CIF'd $3 for both and she got super offended, saying how Driv3r goes for $60 new. I was like, "No PS2 games ever costed $60 new. They were 20-50, and walked away.

I saw a PS2 slim in good condition, with a $25 price tag. CIF'd 15 and the guy said ok, but when I asked to test it, he started saying just buy it, I'm busy, and I figured it was broken and left.

Its so funny seeing people like who I got the SNES from be so surprised that I want old games. They were selling one XBOX shooter for double the price of the SNES + 9 games. XD

Today was ok for me considering i foudn nothing last week. aparently i have new competition that buys games only and leaves systems behind!!

My finds

Donkey Kong Country(GBA) $1
Pokemon blue $1
Atari 5200+games $5
Box of old gamemags and comics - $1
Final Fantasy VII(From Fleamarket Missing disk 1) - $4.28

That's it for today, a terrible day, but atleast I found something.

[quote name='Rictor']I actually couldn't get rid of the extra 200 copies of Ultimate Spider-Man #2 we had when it came out...they collected dust in the 3/$1 bin for 2 years before being moved into storage. Another year later we moved them out of storage and charged like $15 each for em. Go figure comic nerds. In a few years, the Ultimate series will be cancelled and the back issues worthless...as soon as Bendis and the other big names leave Marvel.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, this comic's value is based on scarcity, more than talent. (look at Sam and Twitch -written by bendis and it predates ult. spider-man, which are still worth cover price) When the Ultimate titles were released comic sales were at an all time low and so were the print runs after the 90s crash. The first 5 issues or so will always be worth something (not worthless) due to a smaller print run.

If you have a store or worked at one, you should know that issue number 2 is probably going to be worth the same (more/slightly less) than issue number 1 since it tends to have a drastically smaller print run for most series.

But those Dell Giants will hold their value and only go up in price. Personally, I only collect vintage comics, mainly from the 30s to the 50s. I read the modern stuff, but it isn't worth the paper it's printed on in the long run. I trade it off while it's hot for the vintage stuff. I actually got some nice silver age X-Men comics years ago for Zen Intergalactic Ninja #1 when it was a hot book...found my copy in a 25 cent bin, which is probably where it is today. Then there were all those Valiant comics that I traded for silver age Marvels before they dropped back to reality. Oh, those silly 90's speculators. Gotta love 'em.

I actually have not read a new comic for years. I mainly buy high grade bronze age or older Superhero books. I agree that new comics are not worth it.

Ok day . but my city always sux ass.

PS1 Metal gear solid w/ official millenium strategy guide $2
Sega genesis w/ sonic pinball but no cables $2
Gameboy advance sp and GBA $12

[quote name='darkslime']Today was a pretty good day for yard sales. I finally got a cheap SNES bundle. For 5 bucks I got:
SNES top loader with hookup and 1 controller
Earthworm Jim cart+manual
Donkey Kong Country Cart only
Donkey Kong Country 3 cart only
Jungle Strike cart only
Road Runner's Death Valley Ralley cart only
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing cart only
Total Carnage cart only
Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball cart only
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball cart only
Super Mario World just the manual
Super Mario Kart just the manual

The only problem is the SNES doesn't work. Whenever I turn it on on channel 3 it just goes black, and channel 1 just blinks and then goes back to white noise. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks. ^_^[/quote]

I'm assuming you mean the channels on a tv and not something else. Did the console come with only an RF switch because if you're getting a black screen on channel 3, the rf may be set to channel 4. Those were typically the two channels most consoles used when we used RF switches. So, if channel 3 doesn't work, try channel 4.

I did alright, haven't found much since my NES find from a few weeks ago (look back in posts for it)

We went at around noon today for a sale that started yesterday and figured it was going to a be a bust. Heck we almost didn't stop since it was hard to tell if they were having the sale or not. I saw a box with NES stuff in it.

2619260316_cbac51b4d8_b.jpg

We picked up:
Super Mario Bros. 3
Ninja Gaiden II
Mario/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet
Skate or Die
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Wizards and Warriors
NES Advantage Controller x 2
Light Gun
Trackpad
2 NES Controllers
Working NES with Power cord but not video cable
for $10

Then we stopped by a small town carnival and there was a Library having a $1 sale with all the books you can fit in a bag for $1. Amazing how my hardcovers fit.

Well I started late today but I found some items from yesterday and today so I'll just put them on here.

I found this at a Wednesday sale which is a little odd to begin with. But for $2 I picked up Resident Evil: Director's Cut. Nice looking game.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2617685841/

I came to this sale ass they advertised playstation games but was severly dissappointed when Playstation Games mean one cheesy sports game. I did manage to get a large lot of pokemon cards though. I got them for the use of the e-reader cards that are with them as well. I also found that I got a rare Suicune EX card as well. All for $1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2618511592/

I found this game gear at a yard sale that was kinda out of the way. I got there and immediately saw this. I picked it up and this is what was with it:

Sega Game Gear System
Dunald Duck's Deep Duck Trouble
Sonic the Hedgehog
Jurrasic Park

I gave the lady a whopping $5 for this and left. No other story here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2618513474/

Nothing Major. I found Soul Blade at a pawn shop for Playstation. It was disc only for $3. Nothin' fancy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2618429511/

I pulled up to this sale and was a little upset as I started my day late... I found this PSOne with Bushido Blade inside it. I noticed it was marked $10 si I CIF'ed $5 since it didn't have the power or A/V, but the power cable was found while we were negotiating. I did finally pick it up for $7 though and I didn't have Bushido Blade.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2618431497/

This was a nice find at an unadvertised sale. I unfortunatly got there at 1 and he said theat it was started at 9. That disappointed me... However, I did manage to get a couple good items. I picked up:

NES Sattellite
Warsong (Genesis)

I gave a $4 and walked off a happy man.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirpkered/2619256816/

[quote name='slowdive21']^^ That is a nice find on the PS one/Bushido blade. Of course the Warsong /Satellite is an excellent find too![/quote]

Thanks! I just wish I could have gotten to the other sale sooner when he might have had more games like that. But sometimes you win... Sometimes you lose. I tied.

Bleh, nothing even worth a picture this week. Bomberman Party Edition and Digimon World 3 for PS1 for $5, and Double Dribble, TMNT 2, and Zelda 2 for NES for $2. That's it. The list of what I was told I missed out on includes two big NES collections, and a Sega CD. I did leave an e-mail address with a guy who said he had lots of NES and PS1 he wanted to be rid of, but it was all in a box somewhere and would take him a while to find it. Hopefully he comes through.

I did almost have a great PS1 score, but my god, I have never met anyone so unwilling to make a sale. I arrived around 10 or 10:30 and she had plenty out, but was still unpacking some things in the garage. I asked to look in the garage a bit, since I spotted a huge box of CDs and some Genesis games with boxes. She let me go have a look, and I found Sonic 2, Aladdin, and some others, and found some PS1 games in the box, including Star Ocean Second Story. But none had discs inside. I asked if she knew where the games were and she got quite flustered, and told me she had them somewhere but had no interest in finding them. She said they were in some nearby storage tubs and pointed to them. I walked over and asked to look inside, but got a very stern NO. I spotted a box of PS2 games right next to the tubs, saw some RPGs (Xenosaga, FFX-2, etc), but she ran over, opened one in my face, and said "They're all empty, see! They're all in the boxes!" But no, I couldn't see inside the boxes. I pondered buying what I had found already, but I was pretty pissed off. Nothing I tried to persuade her had worked. I assured her I would buy lots of what I had seen the cases for, she just did not care, she wasn't going to open the boxes for me. It did come up at the end that the boxes weren't hers, they belonged to a friend who had asked her to sell some things, which at least explained why she wasn't interested in my money, but didn't really explain her overprotectiveness of the boxes. Argh.

I also met some competition today. He said he's registered here, but never posts. I told him to come to the thread, so perhaps he will. Hey, guy I met near Ridge Rd. in Greece! I hope you had a better day than I did!

Yesterday and today were one of those days where you get on a roll and find something just about everywhere. I'll get into details about yesterday's finds too.

JVC X'Eye Complete w/ 3 controllers
Prize Fighter (Sega CD)
Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia (Sega CD)
Karaoke Sampler (Sega CD)
National Hockey Night (Sega CD)
Double Switch (Sega CD)
Street Fighter II x2 (Genesis)
Beavis & Butthead x2 (Genesis)
Jurassic Park (Genesis)
NBA Jam (Genesis)
Jeopardy (Genesis)
Columns (Genesis)
Ms. Pacman (Genesis)
Flashback Quest for Identity (Genesis)
Joe Montana Football (Genesis)
Sonic x2 (Genesis)
Super Monaco GP (Genesis)
X-Men (Genesis)
Mutant League Football (Genesis)
Road Rash II (Genesis)
John Madden Football '93 (Genesis)

$10

Bad news is that the X'Eye CD drive is not spinning. Powers up fine, but games do not play. I don't think that the Genesis drive is up to snuff either. However, I have tested all 4 Genesis systems I have and none boot up games. Just black screen. Any suggestions?

SNES Slim complete w/ 2 controllers
Donkey Kong Country
Tuff E Nuff
Jurassic Park
Super Bases Loaded
Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball
Tecmo Super Bowl
Super Game Boy Cartridge
fuck

$12

Pokemon Emerald (GBA)

$3

Today

PS2 Slim Complete (Awesome Shape)
NCAA Football '06
$10

PS2 Phat Complete w/ 2 Controllers
NCAA Football 03
NCAA Football 04
NCAA Football 05
Tiger Woods 02
Nascar 05
$20

SNES Phat (No Controllers)
SNES Slim (No Controllers, No A/V)
Killer Instinct
Animaniacs
super mario World
Toy Story
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Street Fighter II
F-1 Pole Position
Spider Man XMen Arcade Revenge
Scooby Doo Mystery
Tiny Toon Buster Busts Loose
Nickelodeon Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
Batman Forever
Mortal Kombat II

$8

Sega Genesis Complete (Broken I believe)
N64 Complete
Donkey Kong 64
Super Smash Bros.

$10

Adventures of Link (NES)

$1

Road Rash Long Box (PS1)
Twisted Metal 2 (PS1)
PS2 DVD Remote

$3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/2619612784/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/2619612792/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/2619612796/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54735563@N00/2619612804/

Pretty good day and I only hit one neighborhood sale and a couple around my house. Gotta love when you get on a roll. Hope all else did even better!

[quote name='juangrande386']Just to throw this out there for people saying "Snes Top Loader" they were all top loaders[/quote]

LOL, ya i noticed two or three people have posted that this week. The first time i saw it i pictured a creepy looking SNES tray loader in my mind.

[quote name='theGrue']Bleh, nothing even worth a picture this week. Bomberman Party Edition and Digimon World 3 for PS1 for $5, and Double Dribble, TMNT 2, and Zelda 2 for NES for $2. That's it. The list of what I was told I missed out on includes two big NES collections, and a Sega CD. I did leave an e-mail address with a guy who said he had lots of NES and PS1 he wanted to be rid of, but it was all in a box somewhere and would take him a while to find it. Hopefully he comes through.

I did almost have a great PS1 score, but my god, I have never met anyone so unwilling to make a sale. I arrived around 10 or 10:30 and she had plenty out, but was still unpacking some things in the garage. I asked to look in the garage a bit, since I spotted a huge box of CDs and some Genesis games with boxes. She let me go have a look, and I found Sonic 2, Aladdin, and some others, and found some PS1 games in the box, including Star Ocean Second Story. But none had discs inside. I asked if she knew where the games were and she got quite flustered, and told me she had them somewhere but had no interest in finding them. She said they were in some nearby storage tubs and pointed to them. I walked over and asked to look inside, but got a very stern NO. I spotted a box of PS2 games right next to the tubs, saw some RPGs (Xenosaga, FFX-2, etc), but she ran over, opened one in my face, and said "They're all empty, see! They're all in the boxes!" But no, I couldn't see inside the boxes. I pondered buying what I had found already, but I was pretty pissed off. Nothing I tried to persuade her had worked. I assured her I would buy lots of what I had seen the cases for, she just did not care, she wasn't going to open the boxes for me. It did come up at the end that the boxes weren't hers, they belonged to a friend who had asked her to sell some things, which at least explained why she wasn't interested in my money, but didn't really explain her overprotectiveness of the boxes. Argh.

I also met some competition today. He said he's registered here, but never posts. I told him to come to the thread, so perhaps he will. Hey, guy I met near Ridge Rd. in Greece! I hope you had a better day than I did![/QUOTE]

That was me, I bought a sealed Chrono Trigger for 2 bucks!

Nah, just kidding, wasn't me...but man, reading your story pisses me off. I've never had a situation like that before but I'd be furious if I did.

Yard sales around here are disappointing. The only thing you ever really find is clothes. My only score this summer happened today, and it was a moderate one at best. Evil Dead: Hail To The King for PS1, mint. She only wanted 50 cents.

Ehh.. It's something, at least. I had to buy it. Bruce would.

[quote name='willc23']^^
Good catch, corrected. I was thinking that myself, but I couldn't get out the magic words to describe the smaller version.[/quote]

I have heard people call it the "SNES slim." Personaly I would call it the budget model, I can't figure out why it only has RF out.

IATCG, thanks for the suggestions on the SNES. I figured out that the problem is actually the R/F port in my TV because the genesis wouldn't work either and it works fine with my GCN A/V cables.

BTW my parents are letting me trade online now so if you guys want any of my finds offer. ^_^

finds02k5.jpg

Limited edition DEW U xbox - $55

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 - $7

Other games were from the Toys R Us sale and are as marked. Jeanne D'Arc was also from the sale, $9.98

[quote name='Sinnbox']I have heard people call it the "SNES slim." Personaly I would call it the budget model, I can't figure out why it only has RF out.[/quote]
Both of the "slims" I purchased today are not RF, they have the N64/GC AV cable. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

[quote name='willc23']Both of the "slims" I purchased today are not RF, they have the N64/GC AV cable. Am I misinterpreting what you are saying?[/QUOTE]

You must be because I'm looking at a 'slim' right now and I'm using a GC monster cable with it. I'm not quite sure what theyz talkin' 'bout.

[quote name='willc23']
Bad news is that the X'Eye CD drive is not spinning. Powers up fine, but games do not play. I don't think that the Genesis drive is up to snuff either. However, I have tested all 4 Genesis systems I have and none boot up games. Just black screen. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

In order for a Genesis to work it has to have either an antenna or cable wire going into the RF adapter. I have never tried a dummy connection (just a coaxial connector without a coaxial cable connected), but it may work as well. If you have old 'rabbit ears' plug them into the rf adapter and see if that fixes it.

That is the goofiest thing I have ever seen. But it works! Thanks a million. I have about 100 Genesis games that I needed to test and I had no idea how I was going to test them. Thanks again!

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe it isn't such a bad idea. You don't have to worry about unplugging and plugging in your coax to switch back and forth between tv and game. Just hit the power and viola. Once I again I prove I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Not a whole any game finds for me this weekend. I didn't even see any at all. I wasted my satuday though because some Ahole 15 minutes out of the way of any other yard sales posted in the add "dvds cheap" Went there first and he wanted 5 dollars per dvd and 20 for seasons. He had a crap ton too and had a sign that said negotiable. He was basically running a store from his front yard. He also had a bunch of action figures that he wanted more than they were going on ebay for. Looks like he bought the dvds in bulk because he had multiple copies of most of them. I wanted to punch him in the face for wasting my time.
I did manage to get some DVDs at other sales, the first two lord of the rings movies and the freshman for a quarter each. Then found a yard sale with a bunch of build a bear stuff for a dollar each. Got batman, superman, spiderman, supergirl pajamas, buzzlightyear, some wizard of oz. Anyways spent 10 on ten outfits. Usually when I find build a bear stuff at yard sale the people want 5-10+ for the stuff.

It's almost unbelievable that someone here on CAG found Pepsi Invaders. 125 copies were made. I was reading the top 20 holy grail games of all time, and Pepsi Invaders was ranked number 4. Also I recommend CAGs read this article, never know if it turns up in your yardsaling. http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/10/holy-grails-of-console-game-collecting-2.html

4.) Pepsi Invaders
(Atari 2600; NTSC-U)
Copies Produced: 125
Estimated Price: $1200+ (Complete)
Pepsi Invaders is quite a unique game with a unique story behind it. The legend of Pepsi Invaders begins in the early 80’s, the waning days of the Atari 2600. Around this time,
Coca Cola held a employee get-together of sorts with the higher-ups to celebrate a victory against their competitor, Pepsi. So naturally, they made an Atari game to re-imagine the sales figures.
Originally called “Coke Wins”, this title was a Space Invaders-themed shooter that had the player fending off the enemy, in this instance, Pepsi. Following your victory, the game emphatically displays the bold message of “Coke Wins”.
Coming without proper packaging, a true label, or any hint of information, this grail’s victory message was used as its title until a few years ago, when the original developer identified his weird little creation as “Pepsi Invaders”.
Legend has it that only 125 copies of this game were given out, however it wasn’t necessarily game-lovers who received them, so far fewer are likely to still exist. (I’m not sure that many Coke executives bothered to keep a game cartridge around).
As a strange game with an even stranger origin, it is naturally an interest for hardcore fans of obscure and quirky games, not to mention for serious collectors. As a feasibly acquirable game, Pepsi Invaders can perhaps be called the Holy Grail of the Atari 2600.
(Beware of the reproduction cartridges flooding eBay for $50, which are simply independent re-releases created using the dumped ROM, and worth nowhere near as much as the original.)

[quote name='willc23']That is the goofiest thing I have ever seen. But it works! Thanks a million. I have about 100 Genesis games that I needed to test and I had no idea how I was going to test them. Thanks again!

Edit: Now that I think about it, maybe it isn't such a bad idea. You don't have to worry about unplugging and plugging in your coax to switch back and forth between tv and game. Just hit the power and viola. Once I again I prove I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.[/quote]

Glad it worked. I had forgotten about that until I got a couple of Genesis systems recently and they had the black screen. I tried my old one and it had the same problem and then I remembered the "antenna in" port on the RF had to be filled.

I don't want to blow your mind, BUT you can hook up a coaxial to a SNES/NES RF adapter, connect that to the Genesis RF adapter, then to your TV. Then you can have a NES,SNES,Genesis,cable all on the same TV using only RF adapters. (some people use RCA jacks for their SNES/NES.) :)

[quote name='Samus']It's almost unbelievable that someone here on CAG found Pepsi Invaders. 125 copies were made. I was reading the top 20 holy grail games of all time, and Pepsi Invaders was ranked number 4. Also I recommend CAGs read this article, never know if it turns up in your yardsaling. http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/10/holy-grails-of-console-game-collecting-2.html
[/quote]

Thanks for the article. I probably dumped that Atlantis II game without knowing it! Now I have to bust out the Atari...

[quote name='willc23']
Bad news is that the X'Eye CD drive is not spinning. Powers up fine, but games do not play. [/quote]

Sounds like a pinswitch problem, check out the link it's a fairly easy fix

http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/features-MODSXEYEpinswitch.html

I've been out of the YS loop lately, had a back injury and then went on vacation,
but I got into the swing of things last week and yesterday and got out of the slump I was in and managed some good finds .

I'll try and get pics up later

[quote name='willc23']Both of the "slims" I purchased today are not RF, they have the N64/GC AV cable. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?[/QUOTE]

Probably getting it confused with the NES Top Loader

[quote name='willc23']Both of the "slims" I purchased today are not RF, they have the N64/GC AV cable. Am I misunderstanding what you are saying?[/quote]

Weird, the only SNES slim model I have seen was at the local gamestore afew years ago when i wanted one, and it was RF only, I was ticked and had to wait for a regular model to come in to i could use the N64/GC style hookup.(I didnt have a TV at the time and was using a VGA box)

[quote name='Sinnbox']Weird, the only SNES slim model I have seen was at the local gamestore afew years ago when i wanted one, and it was RF only, I was ticked and had to wait for a regular model to come in to i could use the N64/GC style hookup.(I didnt have a TV at the time and was using a VGA box)[/quote]

The NES toploader is RF only, are you sure you don't mean that one?

Every SNES Mini I've ever seen only has the A/V multi out port on the back (I have 2 of them - one complete in box).

Wow, I feel like an idiot. I was thinking of the NES toploader. will someone please come to my house and punch me in the teeth?

junk from this past weekend:

Speak & Spell (1987), complete in box, $2

Wii Playground (sealed), $4
XBOX Fatal Frame II DC, $3
BD Wild Hogs (sealed)
BD Stir of Echoes, both for $9
DC Evil Dead, $2
NES Viper, $3
TG16 Tailspin, $2
TG16 King of Casino, $1

total: $26

not much to say about this stuff, really. Viper's kinda cool. i hardly find CIB NES games anymore. anyone wants to trade for Playground, gimme a shout. i likely won't play it.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Ha, ironic that we both picked up the same game for two different systems. Is the DC version two discs as well?[/quote]

no, just one. i haven't played it yet, but i'm wondering if it's any good. i think it was the Xbox version that i'd played before, and that one was awful.

bread's done
Back