Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='crows in black']Im about to give up on yard sales alltogether. I seriously don't get it....it looks like everyone on here is finding insane stuff like Jaguars, TG-16 games, huge lots of NES games, etc....every weekend. I've been going to at LEAST 40 sales per weekend for the past 3 years and have literally found nothing. Well not really, the few times I find anything its always common stuff like a busted up NES with mario/duck hunt for some insane price like $100 dollars because "its collectable, it goes for twice that on ebay". I'd say 99% of the yard sales I see are nothing but baby toys/clothes. I seriously don't understand what I'm doing wrong (yes I always ask for games at every sale), it seems like I'm the only one here who consistantly never finds anything. With all the time and money I've spent on gas alone, I could have just bought the games I really want on ebay for their inflated prices! I mean whats the point anyway when the one time I DO find something, they refuse to take anything lower than whatever the highest price on ebay is...I might as well just use ebay then![/QUOTE]

While I appear to find more stuff than you, I agree that my finds are below average. I'd guess that I go to 20-30 sales to find one with ANY videogames. And then it is junk or overpriced. I do pick up a cart here or there.

I keep going because I look for other things as well but if I were only interested in VGs, I'd stay home and play them :)

I think too many people either realize they have value or want to keep them for themselves. About 4 years ago I used to see NES systems all over the place (resale shops and rummage sales). I think I have only seen one (out in the wild) over the course of this past year.

There has to be a saturation point of people willing to part with their old school video games. I mean how many people still have nes' around that they don't care about?

Sure there is always the parents cleaning the basement or the person that finally changes their mind, but I would think after 17 years of the system being outdated, that it would be slowing down dramatically.

That and ebay's popularity in society.

I see a ton of last gen stuff, but hardly anything earlier than ps1/n64

It's a slow weekend around here for Yard Sales being the 4th of July weekend. I hit 2 this morning.

At the first I found:
- Castlevania SOTN (Black Label)
- Resident Evil 3
- SNES system with 3 crap games
The IAP was $20 for the system and $2.50 each for the games. I CIF'd $10 for the system while holding the 2 PS games, which was accepted. I then pulled out 2 singles and asked if they would accept a buck each on the PS games, which was also accepted.

The second I found was on Craigslist and was about 15 minutes from my house. It was a thurs/fri sale and had NES games listed. When I got there I asked if they had any NES games left, and she said she sold all of them yesterday. She said there were about 40 boxed. The prices were high, but I managed to find.
- NES Max controller factory sealed $8
- Rocky Anthology DVD Box Set $7
- 15 CD's marked 3 for $5 CIF'd $15 for all. It was some good stuff including 3 Pumpkins, 3 Soundgarden, 3 Megadeth, 2 GnR, Green Day, ect.. The lot will sell for about $40 on SecondSpin after ripping what I want.

Didn't find any game deals today, but I didn't sleep at all, so I was up for a bout 30 hours by the time I was done, so I didn't care. I did manage to score Space Ghost Coast to Coast season 1, Smashing Pumpkins - Viewphoria DVD, and an acoustic guitar for $20. I overpaid, but I don't really care, this guitar rocks.

[quote name='crows in black']went to 27 sales today....every single one of them was nothing but baby clothes. big surprise.

Oh and I love people that advertise OMFG HUGE YARD SALE, ITS SO BIG YOU WONT BELIEVE IT !!1111 and you get there and its literally some tiny table with 5 coffee mugs on it[/QUOTE]
I have been screwed by a couple of those advertising the past few weeks. "HUGE SALE, BIGGEST YOU WILL SEE THIS YEAR!" It is something like 4 tables, 3 of them baby clothes and the rest rusted out crap.

I was out on Thursday and Friday, no luck. I wasn't about to go out today (plans for later), but my mom needed gas so I went along. I saw a single one on the way out, so I just walked home to stop off.

I ended up picking up a Mad Katz Wireless XBox controller complete w/ memory card for $5, along with a Megaman Battlechip of MiniBoomer, that looks to be useless. Wasn't sure what it was when I picked it up, apparently it's for some Mattel game.

I passed on a cart only copy of WrestleMania 2000 for the 64. I love those THQ wrestling games, but I already bought a complete copy for $3 a year or two ago.

[quote name='Bubbakja']There has to be a saturation point of people willing to part with their old school video games. I mean how many people still have nes' around that they don't care about?

Sure there is always the parents cleaning the basement or the person that finally changes their mind, but I would think after 17 years of the system being outdated, that it would be slowing down dramatically.

I see a ton of last gen stuff, but hardly anything earlier than ps1/n64[/QUOTE]

I agree to a point. System wise though, I still tend to see as more NES's than SNES's around here. (Although I'm really thinking SNES wasn't that big here, as I see a TON of Genesis games and a few more systems.). I seldom see any PS2's either and the few I do are overpriced ($75-ish) and it's the same old story (they bought a 360 and are selling the system to buy another game or two)

stopped at a few this morning after work.

at one, a guy had 2 xbox systems with hookups and 2 controllers and 2 remotes, 2 dreamcast systems with hookups with 3 controllers and 2 of those vmus. he wanted $40 for the lot. i was thinking holy shit. however, i only had sufficient funds for one dreamcast (or so i thought), so i ask how much for one dreamcast with 2 controllers. he says $20. i'm sorry, what? you're selling 2 xboxs, 2 dreamcasts, both with controllers and hookups for $40, but only one dreamcast with controllers for half of that? i CIF'd $11, and he didn't go for it. so i left.

if my paycheck had been $100 more yesterday, this was a deal when he said $40 for the lot, but unfortunately, i didn't have enough and i need to eat.

[quote name='chimpster1313']stopped at a few this morning after work.

at one, a guy had 2 xbox systems with hookups and 2 controllers and 2 remotes, 2 dreamcast systems with hookups with 3 controllers and 2 of those vmus. he wanted $40 for the lot. i was thinking holy shit. however, i only had sufficient funds for one dreamcast (or so i thought), so i ask how much for one dreamcast with 2 controllers. he says $20. i'm sorry, what? you're selling 2 xboxs, 2 dreamcasts, both with controllers and hookups for $40, but only one dreamcast with controllers for half of that? i CIF'd $11, and he didn't go for it. so i left.

if my paycheck had been $100 more yesterday, this was a deal when he said $40 for the lot, but unfortunately, i didn't have enough and i need to eat.[/QUOTE]

Under those circumstances, I don't blame you but if you had bought the lot...most likely a simple craigslist ad would net you at least $20-$25 per system and you would have your dreamcast plus $20...just a thought...but I would try to test the systems at his home or ask him to commit (trust...I know lol) for a proportionate refund for any nonworking system..all in all a couple hours worth of extra work to be up a system plus $20 but imo worth it...
oh, and keep in mind the systems will sell better if you ad a game (universal title) and charge $25

$8
Halo 2 CE
FFVII
Ultima VII (CD version, looks complete)

I went to this sale listed on craigslist and found these. It looks like Ultima VII is complete. It was one of the better sales I've seen in a while since it had a nice selection of games, PC games, and sci fi books.

Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire Guide (Missing Some Pages In The Front And Back I Think It's The Nintendo Power Guide)
Spyro Season of Ice Guide (Brady Games)
Nintendo Power Advance (1st Issue)

$1

Went to 9 sales total this weekend. Offered .75 for these 3 books lady said a buck and wouldn't go lower saying she was asking .50 each. I just noticed the Nintendo Power Advance retailed for $14.99 like a guide!

[quote name='erehwon']

$8
Halo 2 CE
FFVII
Ultima VII (CD version, looks complete)

I went to this sale listed on craigslist and found these. It looks like Ultima VII is complete. It was one of the better sales I've seen in a while since it had a nice selection of games, PC games, and sci fi books.[/QUOTE]

You sir are a bastard. (Aimed at the U7 find.)

[quote name='pyoobez']I agree to a point. System wise though, I still tend to see as more NES's than SNES's around here. (Although I'm really thinking SNES wasn't that big here, as I see a TON of Genesis games and a few more systems.). I seldom see any PS2's either and the few I do are overpriced ($75-ish) and it's the same old story (they bought a 360 and are selling the system to buy another game or two)[/QUOTE]

Yeah genesis is insanely popular here, I think the advertising got to everyone, oh we have to be cool lets get a genesis, we don't want that kiddie Nintendo. I see Genesis all the time but maybe 1 SNES every 2 years. I live in an urban area where everyone has to have everything that is "in" so that explains it.

I think the ebay bubble isn't what it used to be, its definitely burst around here. 7 years ago everyone was like OMG I will get rich on ebay but since it hasn't happened they just gave up and don't care anymore. Many people talk about ebay but few actually bother selling things on it, its just too much work for some people. People around here aren't computer savvy. The items that I have gotten that have sold well on ebay are things that you would never expect to sell well on ebay.

When someone says its a collectible and its worth money on ebay that is a clue that it's probably NOT a collectible and that its a worthless item they are trying to get rid of. This is what I have learned after hearing about ebay at a yard sale and then going home to check the value of the item in question and find it selling for no more than 5$...

You can't sell anything over 20$ here, if even that at a yard sale. People go out with pocket change and expect prices within the 10 cent to 5 dollar range for most items, anything larger than 20$ has a very, very slim chance of selling. People don't carry around enough cash to pay for the 100-200 items and up that everyone here is selling.

Not a great deal, but I ended up getting The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition (complete, mint) for $10

The lady was selling a bin of games (mostly useless ones) for $10 each. I wanted Zelda and Final Fantasy XII, so I offered $10 for both, but she denied. I then countered back with how about $15 for both? She denied that too. She told me $18 for both is the lowest she will go, so I just took Zelda and left.

[quote name='Bubbakja']There has to be a saturation point of people willing to part with their old school video games. I mean how many people still have nes' around that they don't care about?

I see a ton of last gen stuff, but hardly anything earlier than ps1/n64[/quote]

I think it all depends on the area, most of the people around here save from 2 major resellers buy-play-sell, I have been to alot of sales this year where people have a 2 week old 360 game and a NES game and both are marked the same price, usualy round $4. I think that in my part of the country there are enough resell shops that some people treat old games just like new ones, only they are stupid enough to pay market price then sell them at a garage sale then repurchase at the resellers shop downtown. He has told me that alot of the people that he buys games from at garage sales come in and grab the same game a few months later. I'm not sure what these people are thinking? I quick $.50???

[quote name='chimpster1313']
if my paycheck had been $100 more yesterday, this was a deal when he said $40 for the lot, but unfortunately, i didn't have enough and i need to eat.[/QUOTE]

You're obviously not hardcore.

I stopped off at one before work and picked up a Mad Catz PSone screen with a car kit and a bunch of unopened blank cassette tapes (for four-track recording) for five bucks. The guy said it was working fine, but I just tested it, and the vertical hold is messed up. I did test it on an original model PS1, though, maybe the PSone is different, I don't know. I don't own one.

[quote name='crows in black']Oh and I love people that advertise OMFG HUGE YARD SALE, ITS SO BIG YOU WONT BELIEVE IT !!1111 and you get there and its literally some tiny table with 5 coffee mugs on it[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think that "Huge" is required on all rummage sale signs. But most sales aren't even close to huge . . . that's OK, I seem to do best at the small sale where I find a gem in a box of crap under a table.

[quote name='Sinnbox']I think it all depends on the area, most of the people around here save from 2 major resellers buy-play-sell, I have been to alot of sales this year where people have a 2 week old 360 game and a NES game and both are marked the same price, usualy round $4. I think that in my part of the country there are enough resell shops that some people treat old games just like new ones, only they are stupid enough to pay market price then sell them at a garage sale then repurchase at the resellers shop downtown. He has told me that alot of the people that he buys games from at garage sales come in and grab the same game a few months later. I'm not sure what these people are thinking? I quick $.50???[/QUOTE]

The people are either desperate for cash for various reasons or they decided they wanted to finish a game they didn't play, or perhaps a combination of both of those. These people would have more money if they didn't waste all of it (obviously). But if its helping you get decent deals then I would not complain. I've decided not to try to understand why people do some of things they do, it just boggles the mind way too much.

Most if not all probably at least 95% of games (current and last gen) that are bought here are bought at Gamestop and have the respective GS stickers plastered all over them. If its not sold at Gamestop or if gamestop doesn't take it for trade then its basically non existent. I should use that as a bargaining point, its so old Gamestop doesn't even sell it!

[quote name='SaraAB']I should use that as a bargaining point, its so old Gamestop doesn't even sell it![/QUOTE]

Thats the bargaining tool that I usually use if they try to get smart with me and tell me that gamestop will take it and pay much more for it than I'm offering. However the problem with the people in my area is that they think they could make alot of money off of anything, like selling a $20 dollar wal-mart brand dvd player for $50 and expecting that everyone will fight over it. It's ridiculous.

[quote name='Mr.Phresh']Thats the bargaining tool that I usually use if they try to get smart with me and tell me that gamestop will take it and pay much more for it than I'm offering. However the problem with the people in my area is that they think they could make alot of money off of anything, like selling a $20 dollar wal-mart brand dvd player for $50 and expecting that everyone will fight over it. It's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya on that bro

Not much yesterday as I only stopped at 2 local sales. First sale had some PS2 games at $5 each. Their were three I was interested in that I tried to CIF 10 for and the maybe 30 something guy angrily says "Now their $10 a piece". I told him "You don't have to be a dick about it, you could of just said no" then I turned and walked away as he was shouting at me " You better go you f*cking asshole" I turned and grabbed my crotch and got into my car and drove away. Usually I just ignore and leave but this guy was considerably nasty so I could'nt help but comment.

1001830w.jpg

Second sale had a PS1 and about 10 games these 2 were the cream of the crop. The FFVII is absolutely mint best condition of just about any PS1 game I've ever found. Any way everything at the sale that had a price was really cheap. The system and the games were not marked so I tried to CIF $10 to the lady. She was like Oh no! those games are collectible - their $5 each and $40 for the system, you could have the whole lot for $75. I told her politely that her prices were a little high and that PS1's and games are pretty common. I told her that I'd give here $5 for 2 and she said OK.

last find of the weekend. i would have pics but i cant find the battery charger.

GTA collection for the ps1. mint condition. i dont think it was ever played. $5.

lady was a bitch and wouldn't budge.

finds070509.jpg

80 gig PS3 w/hookups, 1 controller, Street Fighter 4, Motorstorm and the Rainbow Six Vegas 2 bonus disc - $190

N64 with hookups, 1 controller, Zelda MM, Starfox 64 and F1 World Grand Prix - $8

Lode Runner and Spelunker - $3

Yes, the PS3 works. :)

niiiiiiice ps3! is it the BC one?

[quote name='wil919']Wow! The idea of something costing nearly $200 at a garage sale seems surreal![/QUOTE]
Once i saw a huge rug at a garage sale. It had a sign on it "paid 1300. could be yours for 900." ha. I'll never forget that.

Sales this weekend were pretty slim because of the holiday but I did make a few good catches. First sale was pretty disappointing, they listed 3 N64s, 3 Genesis', and a PS2 but it all apparently got wet and I didn't want to risk it. Scores below!

Sale 1: 8 PS1 games, wanted $3 each, CIF'd $10 for them all and was taken.

IMG_0155.jpg

Score 2: 20 PS2s games, mostly sports titles that I am going to bundle with an old playstation 2 im selling. Was asking $1 each, went ahead and took it at that price.

IMG_0152.jpg

Score 3: A couple very overpriced PS2/3 sports games. However, I bought a PS2 multitap and 3 official memory cards, $.50 for it all.

IMG_0138.jpg

Score 4: On my way home I drove past a sale that looked like nothing but some teen girl stuff. But I asked as usual for old game stuff and the girl there said she had a nintendo she didn't with a couple games. Asked what I would pay and I offered $20. She came out with below.

IMG_0147.jpg

A complete in box SNES system with Mario All Stars and a couple junk games! It even has the manuals!

I have seen about 3 PS3's this year, averaging about $250 apiece, I think they all were trying to get a 360.

humm .. maybe I should start hitting them yard sale ..

but I have a serious question .. anyone go yard saling in the ghetto and if so, any great finds?

Holy shit. A PS3 for $200, and at a yardsale? Someone must've really wanted to get rid of that thing. To the guy who scored it, you said there were hook-ups; did it come with an HDMI cable?

I already have a PS3, but even I would've bit on another at that price. Why $190 though? That seems like an odd figure.

I have seen items in upwards of $600 here, I always wonder how your supposed to pay for them, most people don't walk around with more than 20$ in their pocket around here, so its extremely unlikely that someone is going to pay $600 for something no matter what it is at a yard sale. I don't know who would buy a TV for that amount of money from a yard sale either, and I have seen many TV's selling for $400 and upwards, I mean you don't really know if it has any problems or not, or if it will develop some soon after buying. Taking a check and then letting the person haul the item off is not safe for obvious reasons. Heck you even run the risk of someone paying with counterfeit bills if your asking a large amount of money for something.

I have gone to yard sales in the bad sections around here, its hit or miss like everywhere else, its either really cheap, or they want a ton of money for their stuff because they are poor. The thing is there really aren't that many sales in those parts of town here because everyone sleeps during the day and stays awake during the night.

[quote name='lolwut?']Holy shit. A PS3 for $200, and at a yardsale? Someone must've really wanted to get rid of that thing. To the guy who scored it, you said there were hook-ups; did it come with an HDMI cable?

I already have a PS3, but even I would've bit on another at that price. Why $190 though? That seems like an odd figure.[/QUOTE]

$190 was about all I had on me. It didn't have an HDMI cable, however, I had the foresight to buy a couple for cheap after I got my LCD tv and had already gotten a 360 with a HDMI connection. I knew that I'd want to hookup my PS3 via HDMI and had the cable ready once I got the PS3 home.

good scores, everyone!

this past weekend's stuff:

Zelda: Twilight Princess guide (Prima)
Dragon Quest VIII guide (Brady)
Halo 2 guide (Prima), $3 for all

NES Swords and Serpents
NES Ikari Warriors
NES Battletoads, $2 for all

NES Super Mario Bros (complete)
NES Legacy of the Wizard (complete)
NES Super Jeopardy (complete), $5 for all

Pelican Real Aracde Universal (GC/PS2/XBOX), $5

Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction Season 1 boxset, $1

American Psycho
Employee of the Month
King of California
Down in the Valley
The Ghost Whisperer Season One boxset, $5.50 for all

N64 Mischief Makers (complete), 50¢

GC Super Smash Bros. Melee
GC Mario Party 6
GC Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, $8 for all

Neon Game Boy Advance SP wall clock, $1

Famicom-styled NES controller, $1

PC Star Wars: Empire at War
PC Spore (new & sealed), $5 for both

GC Ikaruga (yes, again - family photos here and here), $3

5 GB cases
GB Pokemon Gold Version
GB Tetris Attack
GB Mega Man
GB Mega Man II
GB Mega Man III
GB Mega Man IV
GB Super Game Boy, $5 for all

non-gaming/movie finds (music equipment):

musicstuff.jpg

2 patchbays
3 Yamaha Motif DVDs
DeArmond Volume Pedal
Metronome, $20 for all

ableton.jpg

Ableton Live ver. 5, $2

ensoniq.jpg

Ensoniq footswitch, $2

odplus.jpg

DOD Overdrive Plus, $3

pretty good weekend for game stuff, awesome weekend for studio/music equipment.

this Pelican joystick is pretty cool; gonna have to try it out with Ikaruga today, which is actually the main reason i bought it -- hope it controls well. i think the GBA clock is my favorite thing. i was crossing my fingers that the neon light was still working, and as you can see, it is! can't wait to hang it up.

[quote name='allyourblood']good scores, everyone!

this past weekend's stuff:

Zelda: Twilight Princess guide (Prima)
Dragon Quest VIII guide (Brady)
Halo 2 guide (Prima), $3 for all

NES Swords and Serpents
NES Ikari Warriors
NES Battletoads, $2 for all

NES Super Mario Bros (complete)
NES Legacy of the Wizard (complete)
NES Super Jeopardy (complete), $5 for all

Pelican Real Aracde Universal (GC/PS2/XBOX), $5

Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction Season 1 boxset, $1

American Psycho
Employee of the Month
King of California
Down in the Valley
The Ghost Whisperer Season One boxset, $5.50 for all

N64 Mischief Makers (complete), 50¢

GC Super Smash Bros. Melee
GC Mario Party 6
GC Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, $8 for all

Neon Game Boy Advance SP wall clock, $1

Famicom-styled NES controller, $1

PC Star Wars: Empire at War
PC Spore (new & sealed), $5 for both

5 GB cases
GB Pokemon Gold Version
GB Tetris Attack
GB Mega Man
GB Mega Man II
GB Mega Man III
GB Mega Man IV
GB Super Game Boy, $5 for all

non-gaming/movie finds (music equipment):

musicstuff.jpg

2 patchbays
3 Yamaha Motif DVDs
DeArmond Volume Pedal
Metronome, $20 for all

ableton.jpg

Ableton Live ver. 5, $2

ensoniq.jpg

Ensoniq footswitch, $2

odplus.jpg

DOD Overdrive Plus, $3

pretty good weekend for game stuff, awesome weekend for studio/music equipment.

this Pelican joystick is pretty cool; gonna have to try it out with Ikaruga today, which is actually the main reason i bought it -- hope it controls well. i think the GBA clock is my favorite thing. i was crossing my fingers that the neon light was still working, and as you can see, it is! can't wait to hang it up.[/QUOTE]

wtf man....what magical "find amazing shit at every yard sale you go to" city do you live in?!

Where do you guys find garage sale posts? I typically look on craigslist and then drive around my town for a bit looking for signs. I feel like I'm missing something though because I don't think I've ever seen more than 8-10 in a day, let alone the 45+ some of you guys go to.

[quote name='encendido5']Where do you guys find garage sale posts? I typically look on craigslist and then drive around my town for a bit looking for signs. I feel like I'm missing something though because I don't think I've ever seen more than 8-10 in a day, let alone the 45+ some of you guys go to.[/QUOTE]
Craigslist and Newspaper classifieds is where I get my info. I like using the newspaper classifieds, since my newspaper has a large map with all the garage sales of that week.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Woah whoah WOAH! Goof Troop is NOT a junk game![/QUOTE]
Yah, I consider it one of the best SNES games there is. Oper8r00, how did you not like it?

[quote name='snotknocker']Not much yesterday as I only stopped at 2 local sales. First sale had some PS2 games at $5 each. Their were three I was interested in that I tried to CIF 10 for and the maybe 30 something guy angrily says "Now their $10 a piece". I told him "You don't have to be a dick about it, you could of just said no" then I turned and walked away as he was shouting at me " You better go you f*cking asshole" I turned and grabbed my crotch and got into my car and drove away. Usually I just ignore and leave but this guy was considerably nasty so I could'nt help but comment.

1001830w.jpg

Second sale had a PS1 and about 10 games these 2 were the cream of the crop. The FFVII is absolutely mint best condition of just about any PS1 game I've ever found. Any way everything at the sale that had a price was really cheap. The system and the games were not marked so I tried to CIF $10 to the lady. She was like Oh no! those games are collectible - their $5 each and $40 for the system, you could have the whole lot for $75. I told her politely that her prices were a little high and that PS1's and games are pretty common. I told her that I'd give here $5 for 2 and she said OK.[/QUOTE]

if i remeber correctly you in nj. that just reminds me of up there so much, still lmao at your comeback.

[quote name='allyourblood']

N64 Mischief Makers (complete), 50¢ [/QUOTE]goddammit.

Goddammit!

odplus.jpg

DOD Overdrive Plus, $3[/SPOILER]
GODDAMMIT!

allyourblood, how do you keep finding all this great stuff? Especially the music equipment. All I've ever found music wise was a crappy midi controller for $50 and a Danelectro guitar for $75 that I quickly snatched up. The guy had a Gibson Goth Les Paul for $500, too rich for my blood.

*ahem* CML for Ikaruga? :lol:

[quote name='Shazyzang']Yah, I consider it one of the best SNES games there is. Oper8r00, how did you not like it?[/QUOTE]

I love it so much. Most of the Disney/Capcom games from that era were good. I wrote a review of it on my old 1up blog that's since been deleted. The fanfare that plays when you pick up an item needs to be my ringtone.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']
allyourblood, how do you keep finding all this great stuff? Especially the music equipment. All I've ever found music wise was a crappy midi controller for $50 and a Danelectro guitar for $75 that I quickly snatched up. The guy had a Gibson Goth Les Paul for $500, too rich for my blood.[/QUOTE]

honestly, music stuff -- guitar stuff in particular -- comes up quite often, but usually not at the price i'm willing to pay. as you can see, that DOD is missing a knob cap, and is fairly worn, which helped when i was haggling the price down. most single pedals i see are being sold for $25-75 dollars (barf!). basically, i just wait until a sale comes along with a fair price. i generally pass on guitars because i don't know what they're all worth; unless of course one comes along for a super-low price that i can't resist. i usually turn down amps for the same reason, plus they take up a ton of space and i've got all i need right now.

my advice would be for you to explore the areas in your city that you might not usually frequent, especially the low-income parts. there seems to be a common misconception that the poorer parts of town don't have any of the good stuff, and this, in my experience anyway, is patently untrue. around here, people in low income areas appear to buy fancy stuff on credit ('cause everyone likes the "good stuff", right?), get bored of it just like anyone does, and sell it fast at a huge loss, likley for immediate necessities. this is in contrast to the ritzier parts of town, where folks tend to sell at a premium, which i suppose is because they don't need the money as quickly and are expecting to put the money toward similar items (movies, games, etc.).

good luck!!

on a side note, lately i'm seeing a lot of people in this thread mocking the idea of folks selling $200+ items at their yard sale. you might think most people yard-saling only carry 20-40 bucks in their wallet because you do, but the savvy buyers (the ones that get there before you and snatch up the good stuff) are serious about this "hobby" of ours, and they carry cash, plenty of it, and in proper denominations. personally, i tend to carry about $200 on me at the start of the day and it has paid off in dividends over the years; to anyone who has ever posted saying, "i wanted to buy them all, but i only had $6 cash left on me", you know what i'm talking about. further, an ATM is rarely more than 10 minutes away; if you see a fantastic item, ask them to put it back in the house and that you'll be back in ten minutes with the necessary funds (they won't always do it, but most folks will). i commonly, and i mean weekly, see people selling furniture, electronics, video game consoles/collections, cars, boats, jet skis, music equipment and more in the $500-$1500 range, and a great many of these purchases are completed with cash up-front. it happens.

I have tried yard saling in the ghetto and up in the foothills but find the best stuff in lower middle class neighborhoods.
And I usually try to carry at least $100 and have $1 $5 $10 $20 for Cif

Well, I don't hit enough sales to spend more than $50 per weekend, so I carry about $50 sometimes a little more. There aren't 40+ sales here every weekend and you can only do so much in the limited span of time you have to yard sale before the sales start packing everything up for the day (believe me some days I am still going at 3pm-4pm and a lot of sales are still out). This would vary with the area you live in. I will spend money when the price is right though. I have gone out early and the only thing that happened is that the people weren't ready and it made them mad (I have mentioned it before, my area doesn't seem to wake up before 10-11am on Saturdays). I didn't find more stuff or better prices, since some people were not fully set up I saw less stuff than I usually see.

NES CIB Mint!
Skyshark CIB
Tetris CIB
Platoon CIB
Jordan V Bird CIB
Silent Service CIB
Mario
Iron Tank
Bases Loaded

Atari 2600 CIB Mint
17 games mostly CIB
$35

Sega Menacer CIB
Sega 32X CIB
$10

Dungeons and Dragons Set from 1974
$1
best find of the day.. over 100$ on ebay

Blue N64
Mario 64 not pictured
$10
Toe Jam & Earl CIB
Super Dodge Ball NES
Skate or Die 2 NES
$6
2 Game Toys
1$

Large DK Plush
Large Wario Plush
Mega Man Figure
JSR GBA
T2 Gen
$3.50

4 Final Fantasy Toys
1 Ace Combat 6 Name Girl
$7
Gameboy CIB
DK
$10
I know I know too much for a GB but I didnt have a complete one

3 Gameboys
Pile of Manuals
Many GB Cases
31 GB/GBA games
$15

Bubble Bobble
Tetris Plus
Scrabble
Millionaire
Vegas Games
Sega Classics SCD
Sherlock Holmes SCD
Rock Paintings SCD
SCD Music Samplers
$6

Set of Handheld Games
Game Toys
$2
N64 Case
Atari 5200
3 Games
$3

80s Toys
Handhelds
Mario Party 5
Chamelion Twist N64
Tom Jerry N64
Operation C GB
Mario and Luigi GBA
007 GBA
Xmen GBA
Yugioh GBA
$12

PSOne with LCD
Middle Earth Guide
Igor DS
Nancy Drew DS
Spyro DS
Mario Golf Sealed
Spiderman 3 BLU
Barbie PS1 Sealed
GH Toy
GB Toy
$14.50

GameCube
2 Controllers
2 Memory Cards
Mario Sunshine X 2
Animal Crossing with memory card
Starsky Hutch GC
Bully PS2
$19

[quote name='smaaug']
NES CIB Mint!
Skyshark CIB
Tetris CIB
Platoon CIB
Jordan V Bird CIB
Silent Service CIB
Mario
Iron Tank
Bases Loaded

Atari 2600 CIB Mint
17 games mostly CIB
$35

Sega Menacer CIB
Sega 32X CIB
$10

Dungeons and Dragons Set from 1974
$1
best find of the day.. over 100$ on ebay

Blue N64
Mario 64 not pictured
$10
Toe Jam & Earl CIB
Super Dodge Ball NES
Skate or Die 2 NES
$6
2 Game Toys
1$

Large DK Plush
Large Wario Plush
Mega Man Figure
JSR GBA
T2 Gen
$3.50

4 Final Fantasy Toys
1 Ace Combat 6 Name Girl
$7
Gameboy CIB
DK
$10
I know I know too much for a GB but I didnt have a complete one

3 Gameboys
Pile of Manuals
Many GB Cases
31 GB/GBA games
$15

Bubble Bobble
Tetris Plus
Scrabble
Millionaire
Vegas Games
Sega Classics SCD
Sherlock Holmes SCD
Rock Paintings SCD
SCD Music Samplers
$6

Set of Handheld Games
Game Toys
$2
N64 Case
Atari 5200
3 Games
$3

80s Toys
Handhelds
Mario Party 5
Chamelion Twist N64
Tom Jerry N64
Operation C GB
Mario and Luigi GBA
007 GBA
Xmen GBA
Yugioh GBA
$12

PSOne with LCD
Middle Earth Guide
Igor DS
Nancy Drew DS
Spyro DS
Mario Golf Sealed
Spiderman 3 BLU
Barbie PS1 Sealed
GH Toy
GB Toy
$14.50

GameCube
2 Controllers
2 Memory Cards
Mario Sunshine X 2
Animal Crossing with memory card
Starsky Hutch GC
Bully PS2
$19
[/QUOTE]
Dude, that's better that what I've gotten in the last year.

bread's done
Back