Official 2009 Yard Sale Thread

There's a yard sale in my area on Craigslist advertised to have a 1934 lionel train set. looks like its selling for around $80 + on ebay (but i imagine that is it costly to ship). I don't know and can't tell how much it will be priced at because the person didn't put any contact info in the ad, but how much would you pay for it if you saw it at a yard sale (and knew how much it was worth on ebay)? I'm thinking $25 - $30. You?

EDIT: couldn't find a "1934" train set on ebay, so instead searched 1930, and a few came up. One is at over $200. I'm getting excited! Instead I would say I would be willing to pay about $80.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to another indoor sale.

I paid my $3 to get in.

Picked up an Atari Flashback 2 for 1.50, it was marked $5, I was looking at and the guy said I could have it for $1.50

Passed on Marvel Comics from the 80s in poor shape for $1-$5 apiece
Passed on a $70 xbox with games and a $50 GC with games, both had crap games

There was fat ps2 with a NA, 2 controllers, 1 memory card and 16 games for $70. All the games were crap. He wouldn't come down on price, all I really wanted was the NA, but he refused to break anything up.

I also picked up Monopoly the Board Game for $3

So $3 to get in, $3 for Monopoly, and 1.5 for a Flashback 2

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']If they advertised it specifically, they probably want a whole lot for it. I wouldn't get your hopes up.[/QUOTE]

Damn it i guess you're right. I can always hope.

It was really hot today, in fact it was so hot people started to pack up early, so thus the day was cut a bit short, that and I was dying in the heat.

On to the finds!

This was a bag sale at a house where they were charging 2$ for a bag of stuff starting at noon. I ended up with 8 boxed colecovision games and a bunch of VHS tapes. One was Pee Wee Herman Ice Cream soup - ah nostalgia that episode is so classic. Oh and a Ms. Pac Man storybook.

Games:
Some have the keyboard overlay in the package never used and all the manuals, I think only one is incomplete.

Subroc
Choplifter
The Dam Busters
Beamrider
Gateway to Apshai
Venture
Nova Blast
Squish Em Featuring Sam

Next sale I got

Pokemon Yellow 25 cents
Pokemon Trading Card game 25 cents
GBC Link cable 25 cents
GCN link cable 25 cents
Handful of Megaman battle chips for the PET toy - 50 cents
Gran turismo PS1 1.50

Final haul for the day, I spent a little more for this but I think it was worth it.

Clear Green N64 with expansion and matching controller - 5$

Games 2$ each

Mario Party x2
Super Mario 64
Castlevania
Bomberman Hero
Elmo's Number Journey - I dunno about this you guys on this forum said its rare so I grabbed it

NES wheel of fortune - 50 cents

Had many more N64 games, but I only took the top titles as the rest was crap so I picked the best of the lot as usual. I really don't want to pass up first party Nintendo games and good N64 games since they are pretty expensive on ebay.

Misc.

Talking Cat plush from Ren & Steempy, seem to remember these being a bit valuable so i got it, was only 25 cents so it was worth it.

Alvin plush from Alvin & the chipmunks - 25 cents, just wanted it cause you don't see these too often and I love 80s stuff.

Nice find on the Alvin plush. Is it the big one that talks?

I'll have to post pics of my finds later. I didn't get anything too huge game-wise, but I got some rare Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails vinyl that I'm excited about.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Nice find on the Alvin plush. Is it the big one that talks?

I'll have to post pics of my finds later. I didn't get anything too huge game-wise, but I got some rare Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails vinyl that I'm excited about.[/QUOTE]

Its just a small one that looks like it came from a carnival stand (well not that small maybe 12-13 inches or so), I don't think it talks. I hope it doesn't because I just put it in the wash! I wash everything I can. I have gotten quite a few video game plush around here for cheap. I was told a local theme park gives them out as prizes by one person, people spend $$$ to play those games then toss the plush at their yard sale for 50 cents, I love it.

The Green N64's and N64's usually sell for $20-30 around here so I think getting one for 5$ was a great deal (even though I already own 3 N64's). You can occasionally find them cheaper but usually they are incomplete and this one has the controller, expansion pack and all the wires.

There was no one out due to the heat and sales were packing up fast, people didn't want to sit out. I got to the sale with the colecovision games at 12:30 and the bag sale started at 12 and they were already packed up. It was a couple older ladies selling so probably the grandkids stuff. I was told by one lady that she only had one customer today other than myself and my mom.

I got that a lot today, too. Not many people were out because of the heat. I only ended up hitting 10 sales of my planned 40 because most were closing up.

I hate my life.... for the second time this month I missed out on a good deal for the PS2 by about 30 seconds... Today it was a Fat PS2 in good looking condition with Metal Gear Solid and all controllers/cables memory cards etc for $5. A guy took it over to the lady running the yard sale and asked how much just as I got there... Grrr.

About a month ago - exact same thing happended at a different sale I saw the Fat PS2 (IN BOX) sitting on the table from the street. As I started to walk up some 60 year old dude picked it up so I followed him to the guy running the sale hoping he would put it down if he didnt like the price. No luck - $20 with 5 games, network adapter and even the HDD!!! Sucks to be me.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']Nice find on the Alvin plush. Is it the big one that talks?

I'll have to post pics of my finds later. I didn't get anything too huge game-wise, but I got some rare Smashing Pumpkins and Nine Inch Nails vinyl that I'm excited about.[/QUOTE]

What Pumpkins vinyl? I'm a huge SP fan.

12"
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
7"
The Siamese Singles box
Disarm/Siamese Dream (different from the one in the box, on purple vinyl)
Not Worth Asking/Honey Spider II (Transparent Gold Vinyl)

Also in the box (unknown to me at the time) were 7" singles by Helmet and Velocity Girl, so I'm guessing the owner was a fan of shoegaze and industrial.

@Bioshocked: things falling apart

I got them all, plus a Gamecube with three controllers and three memory cards, Donkey Kong 64, and an N64 MLB game for the grand total of $8. The lady said her son just wanted to get rid of it. The vinyl is fucking PRISTINE, too. Looks like it was never played. The outer box for the SP singles is flattened, though.

finds081509.jpg

Genesis model 2 w/ 3 controllers, hookups, and Dynamite Headdy, Altered Beast, Mega Turrican, Super Street Fighter 2 (2 copies), Sonic Spinball, Taz Escape from Mars and Genesis 6 Pak - $10

Rugrats Movie (gbc) - $.25

Assorted PS1 controllers - $5 (The wireless controllers don't have the adapter. :( )

Street Fighter 4 TE stick - $97.xx (From Fry's on sale today)

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Prince, The (GC) (Complete) - $5

Got this at a sale starting at 9 probably shortly before 9 as they were still setting up. Asked about games and under some VHS tapes in a box was a GameCube ($30) this and disc only Resident Evil 4, $5 was the IAP.

Mario Paint With Dust Cover & Mouse - Free
Game Gear With Baseball Game In System & Wide Gear, missing battery covers - .25

Mario Paint was in the free box at a sale & I got the Game Gear at almost 11, it was marked .75 but the lady wanted everything gone so everything left was .25, she mentioned some other games that sold eariler, I'm guessing Game Gear games.

2 Old 3½ Floppy PC Games & Some Magazines - $1

Everything was marked .10 but I got 20 items for a buck. The Spellcasting Party Pak wasen't even out the guy just gave it to me. I'm thinking he didn't want it out for kids to see since it seems to be some sort of adult game. I only took a picture of the one old Nintendo book and some other Nintendo related stuff the rest was newer like a few last gen EGMs I picked out. This is the first time I've ever found Nintendo Power Magazines at a yardsale.

Non Find BS

Got out the door today just after 8 and was out till about 11:30, got to about 35 sales.

Didn't see many games not even newer ones today, 2 or 3 sales had a decent selection of PC games & one sale told me I missed a Playstation with some games. Just very little of the typical stuff today like we sold that years ago or we still play that etc. Only reason I actually bothered to take a picture today is bacuase of some of the old mags I found today.

Damn it I just checked all the games I had bought the other day, and for one of the PSP games the disk is missing. There goes 2 bucks. "ex_eBay_buyer, you have to remember to check things before you buy them at yard sales!!! So far you have lost $2.50 not doing that and almost another $3 (if the calculator hadn't worked after I put in new batteries)." Damn it damn it damn it.

ex_eBay_buyer, you have to remember to check things before you buy them at yard sales!!! So far you have lost $2.50 not doing that and almost another $3 (if the calculator hadn't worked after you put in new batteries).

Just trying to remind you. :D

SWAP MEET:

http://img268.imageshack.us/i/img0013yfv.jpg/
http://img256.imageshack.us/i/img0014b.jpg/
Genesis Lot: $10
1 genesis model 1
2 genesis model 3
various cords
arcade stick
The Punisher boxed
Mario Lemieux Hockey complete
Sonic boxed
Toy Story cart
Taz cart
Road Rash 2 box + manual only
Desert Strike box only
Beavis and Butthead box only
genesis system instruction manual

That lot was worth it for The Punisher. Plus I've never had a model 3 before.

And not pictured: (my camera is being weird)

PS1 disc only lot: $5
Digimon World 3
Resident Evil 3

Pokemon Pinball missing battery cover - $1

Pokemon Blue - $3

Zero The Kamikaze Squirrel SNES - $3 (worth about 20 bucks on ebay last time I checked)

Shadow of the Colossus
Digimon World 4
Star Wars KOTOR PH
All complete and $15 for all 3.

IMAG0001.jpg

Xbox controller - $1

Yeah, I probably overpaid, but I don't have one that works, and it's the big controller, which is my favorite.

IMAG0007.jpg

VHS - The Who and Ranma 1/2 - $.25 each

I've never seen Ranma 1/2. Ever.

IMAG0008.jpg

Genesis - Aladdin (CIB), Toe Jam and Earl
SNES - Spindizzy Worlds (CIB) - $2

First time ever seeing a CIB SNES game at a yard sale.

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

Gamecube w/ 3 controllers, 3 memory cards and all hookups
Donkey Kong 64
MLB Triple Play 2000
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Singles
Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm/Siamese Dream
Smashing Pumpkins - Not Worth Asking/Honey Spider II
Velocity Girl - Your Silent Face/You're So Good To Me
Helmet - Primitive/Born Annoying
Nine Inch Nails - Things Falling Apart
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

$8 for all

Score of the year for me, considering how much these records are worth. The GC is extremely dirty, though. It looks like it was literally buried in the dirt. I really only bought it for the memory cards, though, and I could use some extra controllers.

i appreciate the originality, phoenix. thanks for all the time and effort put in to coming up with that ;]

and by the way, jesus christ chairman. GREAT FIND! i think if you ebay everything you should be able to get at least $150 + for the smashing pumpkins records alone(im not expert though)

Got some good stuff today.

Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (PS1) - $1
Bushido Blade 2 (PS1) - $1
Forgetting Sarah Marshall DVD - $1

Game Boy Color with:
LOZ Link's Awakening DX
Pokemon Pinball
Some other crap game I forget
$3

Today's highlight, however...

A brown paper bag full of old games, notable ones being:
N64: Smash Bros
Goldeneye
LOZ: Ocarina of Time
LOZ: Majora's Mask
Perfect Dark
Jet Force Jemini
three or four other crap titles

SNES: Super Mario World
Lagoon
Donkey Kong Country 2
LOZ: Link to the Past
three or four other crap games

Genesis: Sonic and Knuckles

Game Boy/GBC: LOZ: Oracle of Ages (W00t! Been looking for this one for ages! Haha, get it?!?!! But seriously, I'm stoked to have found it.)
Dragon Warrior 1 and 2
Some random Japanese Mahjong game and two or three other crap games

PS2/Xbox: seven or eight crap games including these that I can remember:
Enter the Matrix
State of Emergency

Wii:
Wii fit (Disc only)

All for $5. Yay me.

I didn't have anything spectacular this week. This is two weeks in a row of barely anything.

Only things I found were Halo 2 Complete for $1
Shadow of the Colossus Complete NON GH for $1

Kind of discouraging

Only had two yardsales in town today :( both had nothing... so i went to the flea market and picked up a couple dvds:

Donnie Darko
War
Total: $5

2x Dualshock 2 Controllers - FREE
Madden 09 Official Guidebook - FREE

Not really worth taking a picture of the stuff, pretty boring day.

Got nothing today. The sale that had advertised the train I went to but didn't see the train. I started to ask but the lady ignored me and started talking to someone else. Then I asked a different person running it if they had any video games / video game related things, and the answer was no. Went to a different yard sale but there was nothing where it said it was gonna be. Don't you hate when people do that??

I had a good day Friday. There weren't a lot of sales, so I started off in my neighborhood sale.

New ATI Radeon X700 Pro $5
Clone Wars volume 1 $1
Clone Wars volume 2 $3
Super Nintendo with Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario World $2
Bag with Super Nintendo mouse, mouse pad, and nintendo av cable $0

The video card is brand new. It wasn't marked, so CIF $5 and she took it. She said it was new because switched from her desktop to a laptop and didn't need the card anymore. I can't use the card since my computer uses AGP, but I think I'll keep it around in case I can pick up some other cheap parts. The clone wars disks are the one by the guy who did samurai jack. Volume 1 is a little scratched up, so I CIFed for a $1. Volume 2 I picked up from Goodwill brand new for $3. The nintendo was marked $3, but I talked them down to $2. I'll likely trade or sell that once I get around to testing it.

I also checked out another neighborhood. The only thing I found was this bag with the nintendo mouse. I was doing some talking with the lady running the sale and she said I could just take it. I didn't see much else in that neighborhood. I ended up going to see District 9 after that with a free movie ticket I had gotten.

Last Weeks Finds

Ultima 9 LE complete $1
Thunder Force 3 $0.50

I didn't do quite so well last week.

you all are so lucky. i still have no doubt that there is not going to be one yard sale in my town where they are even selling good video games. i only found 1 this whole weekend out of about 8 selling any video games at all, and the games were not good.

QUESTION: how far from your house do you go garage sailing? i see good sales but they're all about an hour away driving. would you go to one like that if it had video games?

Went to yardsales all day yesterday and there wasn't a single yard sale that had even anything electronic. Just a bunch of clothing and knicknacks. Though my final hit of the day did give me something kind of good. Everything was winding down and I found two broken 360's. Asked the guy how much as he was packing everything in and he told me to just take them.

One had rrod and the other had a bad dvd drive.I cracked open the dvd drive one and it wasn't too bad. A little bit of dust here and there. But the second one... My god. I wish I had my camera ready. Filled to the gills with dust. It covered everything. But that's not so bad, right? Wrong. The dust was moving. It was filled with maggots, like they spilled something inside of it.

Back to the xboxes. I switched out the motherboard of the rrod with the dvd drives motherboard. Then put the rrod's dvd drive into the case. Now it'll turn on but it still has a lot of trouble playing games. But still, a semi working 360 for free.

It'll bring up a message telling me to put in an xbox 360 game even though it is an xbox 360 game. It does it a lot but it'll still randomly read games.

More stuff for me today! Another scorching hot day but at least today there was a breeze so I survived a little better than I did yesterday.

Sega Master system with 2 controllers, light gun, quickshot joystick and all hookups and games

Double Dragon
Monopoly
Outrun
Captain Silver
Alien Syndrome
Spy VS Spy (game card)

2 GBC games

Elmo's ABC
Scooby Doo Classic Creep Capers

All for $11

Ms. Pac Plug N Play $1

A couple old radio shack handhelds for 50 cents and 25 cents

REALLY happy with this find as I bought a master system once but it turned out to have a bad chip inside and hasn't been able to be fixed yet (its at a friends house) but it looks like I can tell him to just keep it now that I got this one. I didn't spend a lot on the previous master system and I have extra games and controllers left over from it so no worries there.

i wonder whats wrong with my SMS, found a boxed one a couple months ago...things looks new. Unfortunately...it doesnt even power on.

[quote name='lude21']i wonder whats wrong with my SMS, found a boxed one a couple months ago...things looks new. Unfortunately...it doesnt even power on.[/QUOTE]

Did you make sure the power supply still worked? That was all that was wrong with mine.

Mao, I just sent a link to your find to one of my online friends who's a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan. We've had many conversations where he basically said he would kill to have Mellon Collie on vinyl. (I'd love to have it too, but I think I'd love the money even more.)

Here's his response.... Warning: strong language behind the spoiler
[21:20] The grace and charm. It world improve the man but deterio rate the dog. There are no ordinary dogs.: wow... you stting down?
[21:21] Saeed: yeeaahh?
[21:21] The grace and charm. It world improve the man but deterio rate the dog. There are no ordinary dogs.: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6189065&postcount=1519
[21:21] Saeed: whyy??
[21:21] The grace and charm. It world improve the man but deterio rate the dog. There are no ordinary dogs.: look what somebody found at a yard sale this weekend
[21:22] The grace and charm. It world improve the man but deterio rate the dog. There are no ordinary dogs.: pics behind 4th spoiler tag
[21:22] Saeed: WHAT THE fuck!
[21:22] Saeed: WHAT TE MOTHER fuckING fuck!
[21:22] Saeed: WHAT THE MOTHER fuckING CUNTING fuck!
[21:22] Saeed: EIGHT DOLLARS?!
[21:23] Saeed: who ever threw that yard sale TOTALLY ripped themselves off!

Well done you lucky dog.

[quote name='lude21']i wonder whats wrong with my SMS, found a boxed one a couple months ago...things looks new. Unfortunately...it doesnt even power on.[/QUOTE]

My first one was found to have had a bad chip in it, the symptom was that the control pad would not move to the right but the controllers worked fine on other systems. I had my friend look at it but we could never find another system to pull a chip from to fix it.

Whats funny about this one is that the people who owned it had those plastic stickers still on the controllers (I think you are supposed to take them off when you get the system) so I pulled those off and the controllers look brand new. Haven't tested the system yet.

Its also amusing that the gun does not have an orange tip and as of right now its illegal to sell any kind of toy gun in NY State.

There were more games that I did not buy

Genesis with 1 game for $10
Gameboy Color, have enough of these, not worth much
Game Gear, missing battery covers, didn't look too good, one baseball game 5$
2 PS1 systems loose, one with power supply, didn't feel like getting more playstations

saturnbuy.jpg

An indoor flea market opened VERY close to me. Most of their game systems were overpriced, moreso than a used game store- $40 Dreamcast, $30 Genesis 2, etc.

But I found the above box tagged at $5. 1 round button 21-pin cable Saturn, 1 controller, 1 3rd party controller, 2 fighting sticks, 3 games, stack of manuals, and power cord. No TV cable or battery cover.

I own an oval button Saturn already so I was able to test this, it works perfectly. I have... plans for this Saturn.

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']
QUESTION: how far from your house do you go garage sailing? i see good sales but they're all about an hour away driving. would you go to one like that if it had video games?[/QUOTE]I don't have a car, and go garage saling using my bike / the bus. I will generally take the bus to one area, and bike around it, find all the garage sales etc. In a fairly big city, so I don't have to go that far.

bread's done
Back