Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

First time out this year was last summer. Finally.

Nothing too super special and no pics, my camera broke, but the following is what I got:

-NES: Final Fantasy ($3)

-Genesis: Model 3 Genny ($10)

That's it for the cool nerdy things. I of course got the usual odds and ends, books, etc, but for a first outing and only hitting one neighborhood yard sale with 14 or 15 houses, this was pretty great.

[quote name='schuerm26']Or just pure bullshit. Never know.[/QUOTE]

It's true, unless any of you actually take a ride with me someday, all you have is my word. ;)

However, for something completely related, visit Digital Press's May Finds thread in the "What's It Worth?" forum. The fun starts on page 9 and lasts quite a while. It starts back up again on page 20. It's worth it, I promise! (there I go again)

[quote name='kube00']for those of us who aren't familiar with the site, how about a link? ;)[/QUOTE]you have to be a member of the site for two weeks to read anything in the section of the forums the thread is in.

so if you are already a member, go to the what's it worth forum, then go to the first thread called may finds.

[quote name='darkslime']you have to be a member of the site for two weeks to read anything in the section of the forums the thread is in.

so if you are already a member, go to the what's it worth forum, then go to the first thread called may finds.[/QUOTE]

Really? Bah. I knew you had to sign up to read, but I didn't know you have to be a member for 2 weeks to read that forum. Well, if anyone's still interested, it's great retro forum anyway.

kube00, the main reason I didn't link was because I wasn't sure if CAG frowns on that sort of thing.

[quote name='allyourblood']Really? Bah. I knew you had to sign up to read, but I didn't know you have to be a member for 2 weeks to read that forum. Well, if anyone's still interested, it's great retro forum anyway.

kube00, the main reason I didn't link was because I wasn't sure if CAG frowns on that sort of thing.[/QUOTE]

If you could still send a link, that would be appreciated.

BTW, nice finds all.

This makes me want to start going to yardsales. I'd be horrendous at haggling and would suck at knowing whether something is overpriced or not, but...meh.

[quote name='Skuttie']So there's some law here now that you can only have 2 yardsales a year. Big cut into the yardsaling for me.[/QUOTE]
No one should need more than two yard sales a year. If you're having more than two you are either over-priced or have junk.
More than two a year is a business.

The only person I've ever seen having more than two sales a year is this crazy old lady selling dozens of jars of mustard in her backyard.

[quote name='schuerm26']Or just pure bullshit. Never know.[/QUOTE]

If you go to 60 rummage sales in a weekend, you will find stuff..

So funny, I was driving and stopped a few sales today. At one I saw an Xbox system with 8 games (all sports) and it was marked $25. Then I spotted a slim PS2 with some games (maybe 10) . . . the games were a little better . . . the best were Sly Cooper and Lego Star Wars . . . then I checked the price . . . $125. I didn't even bother to haggle . . . how do you get to $20 when its marked $125?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']This makes me want to start going to yardsales. I'd be horrendous at haggling and would suck at knowing whether something is overpriced or not, but...meh.[/QUOTE]

You start learning pretty fast . . . making mistakes is the best teacher.

Hit about 35 sales today...got nothing. Total crap all day. I got excited when I saw a complete copy of Xenogears, until I saw that it was marked $60. They had a ton of other overpriced crap too, and that was about it for video games the whole day, aside from a $25 n64 and a stack of PS2 sports games. I'll try back tomorrow, hopefully with better results.

[quote name='Macheezmo']Hit about 35 sales today...got nothing. Total crap all day. I got excited when I saw a complete copy of Xenogears, until I saw that it was marked $60. They had a ton of other overpriced crap too, and that was about it for video games the whole day, aside from a $25 n64 and a stack of PS2 sports games. I'll try back tomorrow, hopefully with better results.[/QUOTE]

Damn 35 sales on a friday. I've never seen one here on a friday.

[quote name='TiKi2']Damn 35 sales on a friday. I've never seen one here on a friday.[/QUOTE]

There's a festival in the next town over so they are having a city wide sale. I'm sure there will be a ton more tomorrow.

Some guy kept beating us to them this morning. Got to 3 in a row and they all said some guy already came and bought all the video game stuff. Including the first one where it was supposed to start at 6:00, and I was there at 5:59 and they weren't even set up. Fourth one, got there 30 min early (started at 7:00), and they made everyone wait till just short of 7:00. We got there first, and a minute later, some guy rolls up and asks about video games (I'm guessing is the bastard stealing my other buys). Managed to get some pretty decent stuff. He bought a PS2 phat for $20, but left behind the AV cable on the table, cause he didn't know much about it. I didn't tell him. He also paid $20 for the Gamecube, I think, and $5 each for a bunch of crappy games, and even put down the Golden Sun GBA games.

From that one, managed to pick up the following:

dsc00113x.jpg

Star Trek TNG S2-S4 complete ($8 each)
Deep Space 9 S4-S5 complete ($8 each)
Golden Sun (box only, didn't check if it has a map) ($0)
Golden Sun: The Lost Age complete with map ($5)
Katamari Damacy ($5)
Resident Evil 4 CV for DC ($5)
PS2 Multitap ($3)
Cable for GBA ($0.50)
Legend of Dragoon GH complete ($5)

I gave them $60 for the above, I actually added Katamari Damashi just to make the price more even. Probably could have lowered the price but oh well, was happy to get anything after the first 3 flops.

Went back to the car, and GF made me go back for the 3 wavebirds that are missing the receivers. Paid $9 for those. One of them came with rechargeable batteries inside, so it wasn't too bad.

At another sale, paid $0.50 for a pretty bad condition Pokemon Emerald guide. Not really sure why, but it was $0.50 =P

Also, I originally thought Golden Sun: The Lost Age was the one missing the cart, till I got home and realized the cart in the Golden Sun case was actually TLA, which made the buy even sweeter.

Less important to me is the 10 skeins of yarn and a basket for $15. The amount of yarn alone at a craft store on sale would cost close to $50. And 2 articles of baby clothing and shopping cart cover for GF's sister =P

got this today from the free box at a church sale

not video game related, but same sale got a apple powerbook ac adapter for $.25

oupnk4.jpg

Emerson Arcadia 2001 Console $5
Includes the original box, or at least part of it, and styrofoam. As you can see the box is in shitty condition. However, the system itself looks great, especially the controllers.

It includes two controllers plus the cart-only pack-in game Cat Trax, which is a Pac-Man clone. Even though it was a pain to repackage I think I'll open it up and photograph the console. The lady who sold it to me asked "Do you remember this one?". Besides the fact that I'm a bit young for that, I think she's the only person in the tri-state area who bought one of these.

11kgigi.jpg

Ok, here it is. The white crap all over the wires is, styrofoam residue. It smells terrible and is a complete pain to remove. But like I said, the system itself and the controllers are clean.
Also, there's no AC adapter but I doubt that'll be a problem.

2eogzv6.jpg

PS1 games - $5
NBA Live 96 (longbox), Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game (longbox), Test Drive Off Road (GH), Car and Driver Presents Grand Tour Racing 98, Steel Harbinger, Blast Chamber, Tekken (GH), Road Rash (GH)
From the same sale as the Arcadia. Nothing great but those are my first longboxes.

osd20n.jpg

PSP Games - $10
Transformers: The Game, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, Marvel Nemesis, Justice League Heroes, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
PSP is about the last system I'd want to play most of these on, but hey, cheap games.

103ec8w.jpg

Intec PS2 controller w/screen (included with the PSP games above)
Not sure if/how it works but I'll test it out later.

160ye6b.jpg

PC games - $.75
Dead To Rights (disc-only, 3 discs), Tropico: Mucho Macho Edition (w/ jewel case), System Shock 2 (disc-only)
Even if it is loose, System Shock 2 for a quarter is awesome.

2hi47ev.jpg

Epic find of the day. All this for $5.

SNES games (cart only): Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Mega Man X, Harvest Moon, Pilotwings, Super Empire Strikes Back, Super Return of the Jedi

Game Boy Pocket (Extreme Green)

Other random stuff: N64 Rumble Pack, GBA Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, empty GB cart shell

This was the second time I've seen SNES games in over two years of doing this on a weekly basis. Between Harvest Moon, Kirby, and the Game Boy, this is a pretty nice score if I say so myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to around 50 sales today in 3 different areas. Did not have MUCH luck :/, but did have a bit:

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
$1.00

Super Mario Strikers (GC)
Animal Crossing (GC)
Some other GC game (GC)
$7.00

Box full of Nintendo Power magazines
$1.00

Super Mario World (SNES)
$0.25

4 NES games (can't remember the names... they're in the car..)
$1.00

The guy selling Super Mario World also had a filthy Genesis system, and a few other SNES games. He mentioned having had a bunch of Nintendo games that had sold very quickly.
The lady selling the 4 NES games also had the system to go with it, but she said it was broken. She was offering the 4 games with the system and a controller or 2 for $1.00; I offered $0.50 for the games alone, and she countered with $1.00.
Lady selling all the Nintendo Power magazines had more, different video game magazines, but I just picked out the Nintendo Powers and she named her price.

Evil Dead VHS
Big Trouble in Little China VHS
$1 total.

Romancing the Stone VHS
10 cents.

The Muppets Movie VHS
25 cents. Here's where it gets good:

Over the Hedge PS2
Spongebob Squarepants Lights Camera Pants PS2
Open Season PS2
Sly 3 PS2 (no disc)
Guitar Hero 3 PS2
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 Xbox
Sonic Mega Collection Plus PS2
Jak and Daxter PS2
Finding Nemo PS2
$4 total. When I asked about the games, the lady said 50 cents each. I took all 9 and she said $4 for them all. I didn't know Sly 3 was missing the disc until I got home.

8MB PS2 memory card
The Cell VHS
True Crime Streets of LA PS2 (no manual)
ATV Offroad Fury PS2
SOCOM US Navy Seals PS2 (no manual)
Rainbow Six 3 PS2 (no manual)
Need For Speed Most Wanted PS2
Power Drome PS2 (disc only)
Ultimate Board Game Challenge PS2 (disc only)
Midnight Club 2 PS2 (disc only)
$4.50 total. They had a PS2 with no games, so I asked and the guy said his wife was coming and would bring the games with her, and come back later. I offered $1 for the memory card. When I went back, he told me to come back in an hour, but I got The Cell for 50 cents. When I went back he had all the PS2 games plus 3 EA sports games, and he wanted 5 for all of them. He took my offer of $3 for the ones I picked out.

Today was somewhat challenging as yardsales go. The skies overhead were cloudy, so about 50% of my stops didn't set up (fearing the rain which never came). And a lot of the folks who were out had "ebay" and "flea market resellers" written all over them. Anyhow, this is how I did:

Music CDs:

Lost Highway Soundtrack
Tool - Undertow
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Type O Negative - Dead Again

$4. All Like New and flippable, I guess. I got a Sega Genesis controller for free with the last two. The first two came from a ten house sale with a crapload of DVD vendors--there was a Battlestar Galactica #1 comic book (from 1978?) for $3 and a Transformers lunchbox with thermos for $2, but the condition didn't exactly knock me out so I had to pass.

Next stop I had figured to be the remnants of a super neighborhood sale I stopped at a week earlier; here I saw a gameboy in a semi-beat up giant gameboy plastic case w/ five games (bionic commando, super mario land, and super mario land 2: the six golden coins were the notables here). They wanted $30, which was a little too high for my low interest XD

Next I turn to the (har-har) $30 Playstation 1 with a few sticky controllers (which they wanted $3 apiece for) and some crap games. However...one can sometimes divide and conquer, and I was able to obtain the following for $5:

1 blue ps2 8 MB memory card
Tomb Raider 3 (Complete)
Klonoa: Door To Phantomile (Complete) :hot:

Yes folks, sometimes it pays to study those rarity lists!

Let's see, right across the street, I dig in a box and offer them 50 cents for Sonic 2 on Game Gear and a Nintendo gamecube memory card. They want a dollar so I toss the ballast and get the memory card for 50 cents. It's my first official memory card--took long enough, don'tcha think?

75 cents
added two more books onto my library:

The Best Science Fiction of the Year #3
by Terry Carr
Most of these Sci-Fi short story compilations from the 70's and earlier are pretty good
The Road to Wellville by T. Coraghessan Boyle
F-cking A. Some of you might not remember this movie, but it had a lot to do with A) making pig feces into cornflakes B) unnecessary enemas, and C) sexy institutionalized naked women

Probably about $15 or $16 spent total, factoring in gas.

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']Went to around 50 sales today in 3 different areas. Did not have MUCH luck :/, but did have a bit:

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
$1.00

Super Mario Strikers (GC)
Animal Crossing (GC)
Some other GC game (GC)
$7.00

Box full of Nintendo Power magazines
$1.00

Super Mario World (SNES)
$0.25

4 NES games (can't remember the names... they're in the car..)
$1.00

The guy selling Super Mario World also had a filthy Genesis system, and a few other SNES games. He mentioned having had a bunch of Nintendo games that had sold very quickly.
The lady selling the 4 NES games also had the system to go with it, but she said it was broken. She was offering the 4 games with the system and a controller or 2 for $1.00; I offered $0.50 for the games alone, and she countered with $1.00.
Lady selling all the Nintendo Power magazines had more, different video game magazines, but I just picked out the Nintendo Powers and she named her price.[/QUOTE]

I've have yet to find a cheap Metal Gear Solid for ps1 in good condition, last time I saw one was at Good Will and they wanted $3 per disc :drool:

Didya pick up any pre-issue 50 Nintendo Powers in that lot? I have so many good memories of Dragon Warrior, the Final Fantasy 2 walkthrough, Ducktales Christmas special...

Funny, I've picked up 5 copies of MGS lately. Play N Trade was selling it for $5, so I scooped up a few and traded them in locally for $34 each. Paid for my bluray addiction. Also found one at a flea market for $4, black label, two at yard sales for $1 each.. It's everywhere.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I've have yet to find a cheap Metal Gear Solid for ps1 in good condition, last time I saw one was at Good Will and they wanted $3 per disc :drool:

Didya pick up any pre-issue 50 Nintendo Powers in that lot? I have so many good memories of Dragon Warrior, the Final Fantasy 2 walkthrough, Ducktales Christmas special...[/QUOTE]

I'd say if you really want a copy for the collection, just bite the bullet and pay the $13 or $15 Amazon's Warehouse Deals is asking for it (complete and mint...usually).

Shoot. They used to have it...not in stock at the moment:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=me=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&field-keywords=metal+gear+solid

Or better yet, they often get complete/mint/resealed copies of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for the Gamecube in usually for $19.99 or less...I've bought a few copies from them and they always come resealed, mint, original label (non player's choice).

Went back out today, and it was basically a total bust. Only think I picked up was a Lime Green GBA with Pokemon Silver, Zelda: Oracle of Ages, and Ninja Gaiden Shadow for $5. More than I'd like to pay but it's still an easy profit.

On a positive note, one of my buddies gave me his entire collection of Nintendo Powers, somewhere around 100 issues, starting at volume 1, with strategy guides and such that they released, and Guitar Hero 3 for 360 for free.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Funny, I've picked up 5 copies of MGS lately. Play N Trade was selling it for $5, so I scooped up a few and traded them in locally for $34 each. Paid for my bluray addiction. Also found one at a flea market for $4, black label, two at yard sales for $1 each.. It's everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Traded in locally for $34 each? :hot: Does this local store you frequent have some sort of condition, a fever perhaps? XD

@karkyco: I didn't think about going the Amazon's Warehouse Deals route, though I'll probably hold off until I get it super cheap or within a box lot of other games. It's more of a vanity / happy memory issue, and I try to limit my spending along those lines (Though the guy who sold me his CIB Dragon Warrior is waving and saying hello now)

Went garage saling this morning and didnt find much game related but at a house i think I may have scored just need our guys opinion on it.

Its a box full of old computer games in great condition, mind you most are CD only with some with a backleaf and front.

Tell me if they are worth anything.
did a few eBay searches but want ur guys take on them.
Heres a list:

Will Eisner's The Spirit- I think graphic comic cd
Dule Nukem-3D Complete Version
Duke It Out In DC
Wrath of Earth
The X Fools
P.Y.S.T.
Spectre Classic
Chaos Overlords
Dark Colony
Merit's Galactic Reunion
Jagged Alliance
Fantasy 5
CyberMage
Maelstorm
Crusader: No Remorse
The 7 Guest Disc 2- with Wetlands, Dune 2, Cannon Fodder 2
Breach
EntoMorph
Eradicator
Alien Logic
D/Generation
Game Head
Chronomaster
Commander Blood
Bureau 13
Dark Colony
Dark Passages 2

I saw the Dule Nukem's and Spirit and got them for $3 for the box.
If they are wheres the best place to sell them with.

Hit up a yardsale yesterday and anoher today on trips to the store. Nothing great.

At the first I snagged a ream of 20# paper for $2 as well as a Lynyrd Skynyrd and .38 Special cassette for my mom for .50 each.

Then today, I picked up four nice looking casters for my dad (dude said he tore them open and realized he couldn't use them on the project he got them for.) and one of those little USB to speaker/mic devices. The casters were marked .50 but he countered his own price with a quarter and the USB was a dime. Then dude remembered me from last summer when I bought a guitar stand from him for my RB guitar and charged me a quarter for all of it. He had a G4 advertised but he started the sale Friday and I just assumed it was sold. I would've asked, but I'm low on funds right now.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Funny, I've picked up 5 copies of MGS lately. Play N Trade was selling it for $5, so I scooped up a few and traded them in locally for $34 each. Paid for my bluray addiction. Also found one at a flea market for $4, black label, two at yard sales for $1 each.. It's everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one wondering how you got $34 apiece?!?! this sells on ebay for less than $10, I have 5 or 6 copies somewhere around here.

I made it out after work, amazingly I found some stuff at 4 p.m.

Simpson's season 8(CIB)
Transformers: special editon in Megatron case.
Xbox 360 Wi-Fi adapter.

CIF - $10.00

Basically my first time out this year.

Perfect weather but not much time for me this weekend :whistle2:( Only a few hours on Friday and Saturday.

segamaster.jpg

This was marked $15 and the woman wouldn't haggle--said it was her husband's. He also had out a boxed Vic 20 for $20. She said that he has a lot of collectible games. I meant to go back on Sat. and meet him to see if he had any other gaming stuff he might part with. But I didn't get there . . . :whistle2:(

segamasterinside.jpg

Pretty beat up box but system looks very good. I have a bunch of carts for this system (and a system without a box).

computergames.jpg

I picked up the MW4 because I know its a good flip. She was willing to take a dollar for it, so I got the Ghost Recon for a buck as well.

N64controls.jpg

50c for the pair. Don't know if they'll work but they would be helpful for outfitting some partial systems that I have lying around.

MidnightClubLA.jpg

Marked $15 but I paid $10--complete and mint. A little conflicted about this one . . . I know that the "Complete" title is out there and $10 for the old one isn't really a great deal but I would like to play this and I'm unlikely to get very far (because I don't have that much time) . If I only play a few hours then the original should be fine and if I pick up the newer one sealed then I'll likely just leave it sealed. Anyway, meh.

Not a great outing this weekend but I also got some pretty good books and CDs for flipping--which is my main goal.

[quote name='jaysapathy']Funny, I've picked up 5 copies of MGS lately. Play N Trade was selling it for $5, so I scooped up a few and traded them in locally for $34 each. Paid for my bluray addiction.[/QUOTE]

2vd3eyx.jpg

For serious, how did you pull that off?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']

For serious, how did you pull that off?[/QUOTE]

I didn't ask questions. When I found out they traded in more than FF7, I was all over it. Knowing how cheap they are on ebay, I may add a few more to the list. Back when FYE had those 25 cent CDs, I spent $100 on quarter CDs and traded them into this place for $3400 in credit. Paid for my PS3, bluray addiction, and a few other fun things. It's a good store. :D

I sense an Uncharted Waters: New Horizons trade triangle here. We give you things, and you make things come out of this store :D

Is there a point where you get enough credit that they say, "Here you go, you own the store now"?

went to a bunch of garage sales and the local flea market this weekend. Really the only pickup worth noting

1ze9iiv.png

Offered $3 and the guy took it, not bad. Add the 1.50 i had to pay to get in and I basically paid 4.50 for it. I kinda wish it was the ps2 version.

I also got a set of 4 folding tv trays for 5 bucks. Those will come in hand for street fighter hang outs. Overall though pretty disappointed. Last time i went to this flea market I bought a box of 40 Nintendo games for a buck each.

Wasn't able to go out yesterday, but I noticed quite a few yard sales advertised on CL so I went to check it out. Today was actually my first day of sailin', besides one transaction I made last week. Anyway, I think I did mighty good ;p

photonb.jpg

PS1 Games:

Silent Hill (wrong case, it's the one for The Last of the Mohicans lol. If anyone has the back inlay for some weird reason I'll buy it)
MGS VR Missions (Complete)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (No manual) (I'll buy the manual for this if anyone has)
N64 "N"siders guide (Starfox/Jet force Gemini)

Total = $7

Walked up to this rather small garage sale. Saw a PS2 and some games so I walked over and checked it out. There were some assorted PS1 and PS2 games. Instantly saw MGS and RE3 and grabbed them. Almost missed Silent Hill because it had the wrong spine, but I caught it will going over them for a second time. Looked down below at a huge bunch of VHS and saw the N64 one in there. (I'm assuming it's a promo video, anyone know anything about it?) Anyways, asked him what he wanted for these 4 and he looked at me and stared for a second. He told me $7 and I didn't haggle him down because I could tell he wanted to sell everything at once.

photo4zi.jpg

Starcraft 64

Total = $5

Came across this one where a guy had a bunch of assorted games from all different consoles, mostly xbox/PS2 sports games. Everything was $5 each and he wouldn't budge. I picked up a Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt to see what was underneath and he started telling me about how rare it was and I could easily sell it for $40. I just kept saying "uh-huh" "oh really?" "ok" etc because he wouldn't leave me alone about it. After he realised I was a lost cause on that he told me he had a few other Mario games for N64 and brought out Mario Party 2 and 2 copies of Super Mario 64 and told me he was selling these rarer marios for $15 each. Anyway I kept browsing and noticed Starcraft 64 and asked him how much. He said $5 so I snatched it and went on my way :p

Here was my big score of the day:

SNES with 2 Controller (No cables, I'll explain why later)
Super Mario Allstars
Super Mario World
Mario Paint
The Wizard of Oz
Contra III
Super R-Type
Clue
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Super Metroid
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Zelda: Link to the Past
Simcity
Uniracers

Total = $30!!

This one was a crazy one. I saw his ad on CL last night advertising "Gaming Stations" so I sent an email seeing what he had. He responds that he has a Genesis, SNES, N64, Gameboy, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Game gear, and PS1. He said basically like "tons of games, it'll be worth your time". I responded back asking what time he would be opened and he said 8 and at the latest 9.

So I get up bright and early at about 7AM, throw some crappy clothes on and drive about 20 minutes to his place. I get there at about 7:30 and all I see is a few items and 4 people. I asked the older gentlemen where the video games were and one of the ladies (I'm assuming his daughter) said her husband was bringing them by in a few minutes. So I perused around while they continued to bring out stuff waiting for the husband. I noticed another lady in her mid-60's just standing around who had been shopping and had been there before me. I asked her if she was waiting on something also, and she said yes. I asked her what and she said "The video games". Ofcourse, I was instantly curious why this old lady would be shopping for video games, and I figured she was looking for something for the Wii for her grandchildren or what not. So I asked which system and she said "all of them, that's why I told them I was here first". Needless to say I was quite surprised that she would even be looking for videogames, much less buying ALL of them.

So I waited around and at about 7:50 the guy arrived with a couple boxes full of the video game stuff. The daughter from before (who was his wife) went over to him to help and I *think* she mentioned me and how the other lady wanted to buy everything. So he came over, put the box down and began to take all the stuff out. The old lady instantly starts grabbing stuff to take for herself which was pretty rude. I told him I was the person who e-mailed him last night and I was really only interested in the SNES (which he had the most games for). The lady starts to grab the SNES and games and the guy says "I think I'm gonna give that one to him, you can have the rest" I was like BAM what a guy, he basically rejected her and I could tell she was mad. The SNES was by FAR the console with the most games (and by far the most valuable games. I saw all of the other ones. They had maybe 3-4 games each and the Genesis had about 8 junk ones). After I had gathered everything for it the lady commented kind of snarky "That one has a lot of games" and I grabbed all of them and moved them a bit closer to me, lol.

Anyway, the guy told me it was missing the power cord and a/v. Pretty sure the old lady had it and I wasn't about to look for it in all her stuff. Plus I was already extremely happy when I looked and saw what games there were. He looked and me and said, "Well, since it's missing the power cord how about $30 for everything?" The CAG in me wanted to counter with $20, even though I knew I was getting a killer deal. Plus the lady would've taken it for $30, so I happily handed over the cash and walked to the car :D. On the way back I heard him total up everything and she ended up paying about $250 for all the rest of the stuff (It had a few good things, like Majoras mask for N64 and Resident Evil 0,1,2,3,4 for GameCube). But definitely not worth 250 total.

What's also funny is that I later saw her at the flea market (where I got Starcraft 64). Once she noticed I was there she passed up 5-6 stores to get in front of me so she could see games before me LOL.

Anywhere know where I can get some cheap SNES a/v cables & power cord? :D

[quote name='Porpoise King']
Anywhere know where I can get some cheap SNES a/v cables & power cord? :D[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the find and great story.
Alas that power cord is a pain to locate cheap...since your deal was basically done...I would have ask the seller to revist her pile for the av cord while checking her out and while offering him an extra couple bucks if he found the cord (I have a feeling if found, he would have just given you the cord) ...
Good luck on your search...I'm still seeking a cord for a console (still in box) found last year at a garage sale ...
I stupidly passed on a power cord at a flea for $7...

[quote name='donut']Congrats on the find and great story.
Alas that power cord is a pain to locate cheap...since your deal was basically done...I would have ask the seller to revist her pile for the av cord while checking her out and while offering him an extra couple bucks if he found the cord (I have a feeling if found, he would have just given you the cord) ...
Good luck on your search...I'm still seeking a cord for a console (still in box) found last year at a garage sale ...
I stupidly passed on a power cord at a flea for $7...[/QUOTE]

I bought a cheap knock-off power cord that does Genesis, NES and SNES for about $8-9 off ebay. It's working fine on my Genesis!

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150448979578&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=99286f771280a0aad3344374fff271a3&itemid=150448979578&ff4=263602_263622
That's not the same seller but that's what I got.

[quote name='donut']Congrats on the find and great story.
I stupidly passed on a power cord at a flea for $7...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went to the flee afterwards just to look for one, which is where I found SC64. Some guy wanted $15 for his off-brand one and I passed.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I've have yet to find a cheap Metal Gear Solid for ps1 in good condition, last time I saw one was at Good Will and they wanted $3 per disc :drool:

Didya pick up any pre-issue 50 Nintendo Powers in that lot? I have so many good memories of Dragon Warrior, the Final Fantasy 2 walkthrough, Ducktales Christmas special...[/QUOTE]

I'm not very familiar with the Nintendo Power magazines.. most of the ones I got range from volume 15 through volume 30 something..hope this helps.

I'm just starting to hit up the garage sales pretty regularly this year. So for the past few weeks or so:

PsOne with all cords, controller - $2
Threads of Fate (PS1) - $4
Final Fantasy VIII Discs 1 and 2 -- $4
MDK (PS1) -- $4
Ninja Gaiden (XBox)--- $0.99
Some random vintage Star Wars figs-- $1 a piece

And a ton of baby toys for my daughter, we've probably picked up over $200 woth of toys and playsets for her for less than $20...why would anyone buy baby toys new?

Here were some of my finds over the past couple of weeks:

FFVII (Black label) and GTA for PS1 - $5
Gameboy Advance SP in blue, with box, manuals, and charger - $15

This week I had a big score, even though I don't collect for the Genesis, I was always more of an SNES guy. Maybe I'll start.

Sega model 2 system w/ AC/RF cords & 2 controllers
Genesis game genie
Plus 31 games, most complete
4 empty cases (Batman Forever, Sonic, NHL 95, MLBPA Baseball), some extra manuals
Genesis code book
NES Game Genie

Here is a list of the games I remember offhand:

Super Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Sonic
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic Spinball
Sonic and Knuckles (game and manual only)
Ecco the Dolphin
Pitfall
Batman Returns
Bubsy
Tiny Toon Adventures Buster's Hidden Treasures
The Jungle Book
NHL 96
X-Men
Maximum Carnage
Ghouls N Ghosts
OutRun
Sega Club Crystal's Pony Tale
Saturday Night Slam Masters
NHL Hockey
Phelios
Hard Drivin'
Ms Pac-Man
Pac-Man 2 (cartridge only)
Jurassic Park (cartridge only)
Stargate (cartridge only)
Exo Squad (with manual, no box)
Hook (cartridge only)
NHL 94 (cartridge only)
Sonic 2 (cartridge only)

I got all this for $25 (IAP). Passed on a bare NES w/ only the Zapper for $5. This was a sale I happened to see and stop at between stops. I will get a picture up as soon as I figure out how.

I wish this was a big SNES score like Porpoise King, but beggers can't be choosers. The funny thing is that included in the box were handwritten notes on codes, and I can tell that they had a SNES at some point with at least Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, SMW All-Stars, Super Mario RPG, Mega Man X, and Donkey Kong Country. I must have missed out on that.

well, i have more questions if you guys don't mind. summer is coming up so i may as well go to garage sales, but what should i look for specificly? what should i be aware of? what are some of the rarer games prices (like final fantasy 7 or earthbound) that i read people getting for cheap. also any info on flea markets?

more on topic though - nice pickups BHit and DL

Dark Void (Xbox 360, Complete) - $5 (IAP)
Mario Kart 64 - $5 (IAP)
Rocket: Robot On Wheels - $2 (IAP)
Pokemon: Ruby Version - $6
Croc 2 (PC) - .50 (PC) (IAP)
Redneck Rampage: The Early Years - .50 (PC) (IAP)
Virtual Kasparov (PS1, Complete) - .80

Dark Void was from the first sale I stopped by, advertised "Video Games" and was all current & last gen type stuff.

The N64 games I asked about video games and the guy brought out a box with some N64 games & 2 controllers that was already priced as if ready to be sold and just forgotten to be put out. I didn't even try to haggle as the guy mentioned something about Mario Kart being popular or something like that and I think they wrote something about rare (or some buzz word like that) on the box so I figured haggling may be out of the question and didn't even try and offer $5 for both as I was thinking about and should have.

Pokemon said 7.50 on the back and I offered $5 which was countered with $6.

PC games were IAP and Virtual Kasparov was actually from the Salvation Army I stopped at on the way home and was 50% off.

I saw a Coleco Pac-Man Tabletop Friday but it was marked $100 :(

About 37 Genesis Games, 3 Genesis Controllers, N64 With Hookups 3x 1st Party Controllers & 6 Games - $25

The N64 stuff was $5 for System, $1 a game or $10 for all. Genesis $1 each game or controller or $25 for all. I put aside the N64 stuff and started picking out some Genesis games and was gonna try and offer $$20 for the N64 stuff and about 15-20 Genesis games and finally just figured I'd offer $25 for all which was taken and probably too easily.

NES With About 42 Games, 9 SNES Games, Some Misc Stuff, BIG Pile of Manuals & 8 Empty Boxes - $15

The Game Above Bionic Commando Is Urban Champion And Below Track & Field II

This was an unadvertised sale right around the corner from the N64/Genesis find. Asked about games and all of this was brought out. The guy offered it for $20 then said $15 before I even said anything so I didn't argue with him and took it and didn't bother twisting his arm since it was more then fair. The boxes and manuals where all in a bag from which he pulled out the SNES games and of course I asked about it has it was probably just gonna be thrown out and was given to me instead. The Blue N64 controller was also in the bag but I was told it was broken. The system had an AC adaptor that seems to be missing which I'm hoping I missed for the picture but was probably accidently left behind.

Flash Focus (DS, Complete) - $2
The Price Is Right (DS, Complete) - $2

These were both IAP.

Colecovision (Non-working), Steering Wheel, AC Adaptor Brick, 2600 Add-On, Track & Field Controller, 20 2600 Games, Pepper II (CV), Pile of Manuals & Empty Cardboard Boxes (Again) - $20

I found $3 worth of stuff at this sale (non-gaming related) asked about games and it didn't sound too promising but they did mention a Colecovision that didn't work and games and I said I'd be interested. Brought out a box and I wasen't sure what the guy wanted to do I was thinking maybe just fish out the ColecoVision games and keep the Atari stuff. Talking to the guy he mentioned that they would probably never use any of it again, I offered $20 for the box and the other stuff I had and it was taken. Mentioned throwing out the empty boxes & manuals which was the theme of the day but I gladly took them.

ToeJam & Earl 3 (Case & Manual) - Free

No game unfornately as I've been hoping to find this for my collection but at least it was free.

3 NES Games In The Top Right Corner - $1

Asked about games and the middle school aged kid at the house found these 3 games, I was only interested in Thurder & Lightning but he said I could have all 3 for .50 so just took all three and thanked him for the trouble of rounding them up and gave him a buck.

Non Find BS -
Friday I was out for just over 3 hours and while not dirt cheap I did find a few good things, nothing special that I missed mentioned maybe the usual we still have (x) system or we sold (x) old video game stuff years ago or last yardsale (a little of this as always on Saturday also). Only the Pac-Man Table Top at $100 really worth mentioning for way over the top video game prices while yardsaling Friday. Probably got to about 20-25 sales half or more being at a decent sized block/street sale.

Saturday I was out for about 2 1/2 hours in the morning, took a break for about an hour and wasent sure if I was gonna go back out but ended up being out for about 3 hours in the afternoon which I was glad about as I was (wrongfully) thinking I used up all of my luck on my first two finds in the morning.

2 out of the 3 sales I lucked out on finding a good sized lot of old games at back to back was in an area I nornally have a good ratio of finding something video game related in so I usually swing through even if I only have a few sale in that area vs skipping it completely, 4 sales this week but I was really lucky finding what I did at 2 of those sales.

I got to about 37 sales total Saturday and only 1 or two houses mentioned missing games and only one mentioned anything in particular, well not too particular it was a younger kid and I'll get to that.

I was surprised to see the DS games still around shortly after noon priced at $2 even if they weren't grade a games. I normally see 1-3 DS games for sale and it's usually $5 for dreck & $10 if it's something decent (Final Fantasy III being a good example which was the only DS game I saw at a sale Friday).

I actually found the Atari+ stuff in the afternoon and I was thinking the guy may not be willing to deal from how he was acting and as he did mention before bringing the stuff out he didn't know what it was worth and again once after it was out and counted up the games. As I mentioned it wasen't clear how serious he was about getting rid of everything he brought out but it seemed as if he figured what the hell and just wanted it gone once it was out as it was a good sized box and he mentioned they will probably never use any of it again.

The only overpriced thing worth noting from Saturday was the one house I stopped at in the afternoon had an Atari 1200XL (IIRC) with a printer & floppy drive all boxed and beside it a box of some software complete/boxed including 2 complete cartridge games (Donkey Kong & Robotron 2084). The problem was it was marked $200 $100 for the whole lot. This was way too much and while I don't know what it's worth I would guess not worth $100 to a buyer willing to pay fair market value. I went ahead and offered $10 for it and the lady politely refused and offered to sell just the games since I was checking them out but I didn't bother since I'd have no use for them and I didn't think they were going to be that cheap. As I was talking to her she mentioned how it was expensive way back when and at one point offered to let it go for $50 but I declined and thanked her mentioning how it was neat to see but too rich for me.

Late in the day I stopped at a sale with a kid about 8 years old I'd guess that was funny. I asked about older Nintendo, video games and he said they had some but he bought them all? I was confused and asked if he bought his own games thinking that this may have been a case of parents selling stuff and the kid not wanting to see it go and even being a brat about it and buying it but I think he was a neighbor kid so who knowns Nintendo could be GameCube or anything to him, it's hard to picture it being something like a SNES lot with a good ratio of good 1st party games & good stuff that is a little harder to find. I remember some kid about the same age a few years ago that was pretty happy about buying an old PS2 sports game at a neighbor's sale.

bread's done
Back