Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='RedvsBlue']Are you serious? Being eliminated from the playoffs doesn't mean you should stop playing your games and star players. Also, the injury he returned from wasn't the same injury that happened yesterday. There's more to playing football than just playing for the #1 pick and the playoffs. Cam Newton might get hurt and the Panthers aren't making the playoffs, should they bench him? What about MJD and the Jaguars?

The implication of what you're saying would basically make the last 3-4 games of the season completely pointless.[/QUOTE]

And on top of all of that a lot of players are still playing for there jobs, new contracts or are trying to hit bonuses that are written into their contracts. Also, if a team is say 2-11 going into week 14, and they win out, that head coach has a much lower chance of being fired from his millions of dollars contract.

The NFL is a business, and they are expected to perform regardless of there record.

I agree, Peterson should have been playing. He was also complaining the week before about a lack of carries and said he was ready for more. That said, as a Bears fan, if Chicago loses tonight, I don't want to see them rushing Cutler or Forte back out there next week.

[quote name='gravel']I agree, Peterson should have been playing. He was also complaining the week before about a lack of carries and said he was ready for more. That said, as a Bears fan, if Chicago loses tonight, I don't want to see them rushing Cutler or Forte back out there next week.[/QUOTE]

I agree absolutely not worth risking them. It will be interesting to see what happens to Forte contract wise... Just pay the man!

The records mean fucking nothing. Its not their fault because this is the era they play in but its going to be fairly easy to start breaking most QB records when people are passing the ball 50 times a game.

Marino got that record in an era in which throwing the ball more than 25 or 30 times was unheard of and DB could actually play WR all the way down the field. Not blaming them but pffttt those records mean nothing. They are still damn good QB though.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The records mean fucking nothing. Its not their fault because this is the era they play in but its going to be fairly easy to start breaking most QB records when people are passing the ball 50 times a game.

Marino got that record in an era in which throwing the ball more than 25 or 30 times was unheard of and DB could actually play WR all the way down the field. Not blaming them but pffttt those records mean nothing. They are still damn good QB though.[/QUOTE]

That record will fall soon, and you are 100% right. But don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have my QB have his name on that spot in the record books.

I mean, if they need to pick 3 QBs I don't really see who the alternative would be in the AFC.. Once Schaub went down who's really been appreciably better than Rivers? Matt Moore? Andy Dalton? After Brady and Big Ben, the choices weren't inspiring. Meanwhile, the NFC had probably 9 guys who would have been more deserving than Rivers if they played in the other conference (Rodgers, Brees, Romo, Manning, Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Cutler, and Smith all had better seasons). Got to pick three though.

We all know reputation matters in the voting. If it didn't, both New England TEs would be on the roster instead of Antonio Gates.

Saw on the Browns site that D'Qwell Jackson is the first alternate for inside LBs and Josh Cribbs is second alternate for KRs and third alternate for STs. Joe Haden not being an alternate at CB is a huge surprise.

Santonio Holmes showing some team unity with the season on the line...benched after melting down around the 2 minute warning with no catches this game.

EDIT: Enjoy the offseason, Jets. Being the guy sitting next to Santonio on the ride back is going to be awkward.

Meanwhile Rams are fighting to play spoiler to force the 49ers out of a first round bye.

And Clements goes down right as I post that. Isn't that a buzzkill for St. Louis?

Of course, now the Bears decide to win once they are completely out of it. I would have preferred a loss this week to make our draft spot as high as possibe.

[quote name='tony89']holy crap, at the numbers flynn has put up against the lions.[/QUOTE]

Got to be encouraging to GB that if Aaron Rodgers were to go down, it's not like the head is completely cut off. Shows that the offense as a whole is that damn good.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The records mean fucking nothing. Its not their fault because this is the era they play in but its going to be fairly easy to start breaking most QB records when people are passing the ball 50 times a game.

Marino got that record in an era in which throwing the ball more than 25 or 30 times was unheard of and DB could actually play WR all the way down the field. Not blaming them but pffttt those records mean nothing. They are still damn good QB though.[/QUOTE]

Except Marino didnt play like other QBs of that era. While Brees needed quite a bit of more passes, Brady only needed between 20-30 more than Marino did the year he originally broke the record. And while I dont know if it will last as long, I dont think it will be as casually beaten as others are making it out to be.

Antwan Barnes ejected in the first quarter for unsportsmanlike conduct and making contact with an official.

*Bows to Matt Flynn*

I'm going to be interested to follow his career as a future starter. Every time he's been on the field with Green Bay (which hasn't been much, obviously) he has been thoroughly impressive.

Packer fans have told me before, flynn would be a starter for some if not
most teams. Packers would be smart to get some picks for him in the
offseason, to a team desperate for a qb.

Good game so far.

fuck, and I turned down tickets to the packer game this weekend.

oh well, Flynn is going to make someone happy next year :lol:

it's nice seeing the pack doing well even with clay, woodson, jennings, cobb, bulaga, and others sitting out this week. oh wait, and our starting qb was out this week? forgot about that with matt flynns four fucking hundred and eighty years passing.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']42-0, Atlanta over Tampa Bay about midway through the 2nd quarter. Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

They really want avoid heading back to New Orleans next week don't they? :lol:

[quote name='pitfallharry219']42-0, Atlanta over Tampa Bay about midway through the 2nd quarter. Ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking "ridiculous" when the Bills went up 21-0 on the Patriots in the first quarter.

And then the Pats won 49-21.

While I like the winning pattern for the Pats, they've started off the last 3 games (or is it more than that?) with at least a 17 point deficit. A tale of two teams - the team that starts the game and the team that gets into gear after getting its ass kicked. Which one we gonna see in a couple weeks?

As great as brady is, it's hard for me to imagine the patriots winning
it all, with that shoddy defense. I still think green bay will make
it back to back superbowl titles.

[quote name='tony89']As great as brady is, it's hard for me to imagine the patriots winning
it all, with that shoddy defense. I still think green bay will make
it back to back superbowl titles.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's too bad that FF is over, as I have Michael Turner on both of my teams and Matt Ryan on one.[/QUOTE]

For those leagues that have their championship games this week (sucky way to do it IMHO) I wonder if anyone took a chance and started Flynn for GB. If they did HOLY CRAP!!!

Kyle Orton has gotten his revenge on Denver. Denver will probably still get in due Oakland's pending loss to San Diego to leave the AFC West with three 8-8 teams and a 7-9 team.

[quote name='bvharris']All of the AFC teams are flawed, I think I'd take both the Pack and the Saints over any of them right now. That said, the Patriots are the only AFC team with an offense which could keep up with those two.[/QUOTE]

I'd be very curious to see how many points the Pats could run up against the Packers D. Maybe we'll get to see? I actually think the Saints will knock off the Pack in the NFC Championship game, though the 49ers might surprise everyone.

That said, the Pats D finally woke up and shut the Bills out after that abysmal first quarter - 4 INTs, though Fitzpatrick was certainly forcing some throws. I'd love to see them not suck for a full 60 minutes, but I'm really hoping for the impossible here.

Now the big question: Giants or Cowboys? Which Manning will show up tonight, and how bad is Romo's hand (and does it even matter)?

Not exactly the way I wanted it to happen, but hey, playoffs.

I hope that in one way or another, the Broncos can manage to beat the Steelers, for the good of all the NFL.

But god DAMN did the Offense, other than McGahee, look like shit.

[quote name='jello44']Not exactly the way I wanted it to happen, but hey, playoffs.

I hope that in one way or another, the Broncos can manage to beat the Steelers, for the good of all the NFL.

But god DAMN did the Offense, other than McGahee, look like shit.[/QUOTE]

same. I'm thinking Tebow is just one of the 6 game fluke guys. The ride was fun but we need a real QB

and fuck !!! the colts getting the first pick. fuck that

With their top five pick, I'm expecting the Browns to keep it and take Justin Blackmon to finally bring in some much needed WR help for that core. Of the WRs that they have right now, I'd make sure to keep Greg Little, Josh Cribbs, and Jordan Norwood and see who they can bring in from the draft to fill in the other holes. Their second pick later in the first round should be a fast OLB playmaker that will be better at plugging holes on the rush to help out the defensive line to replace the aging Scott Fujita.

Watching the Boys embarrass themselves yet again. I'm embarrassed to be a Cowboys fan sigh...Soft Secondary, no discipline and what seems to be finicky play calling.

Early reports say Mendenhall tore his ACL for Pittsburgh. Obviously, he's done for the playoffs if that's the case, and the start of next season could be in jeopardy as well.

lol @ these 2 horrible teams, giants being so bad that instead of putting this game away they keep gifting dallas with chances to come back and dallas being so bad that they refuse to accept the gifts giving to them. :applause:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back