Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Javery']That is a possibility but probably unlikely, IMO. The two best teams in the AFC are Pittsburgh (2006, 2009, 2011) and New England (2008) and the two best teams in the NFC are the Packers (2011) and Saints (2010).

The best bet I guess would be that the Ravens get in. I'd welcome any match-up for the Giants and any other match-up involving the Lions, Broncos, Texans or Bengals. Even though the 49ers haven't been good for a while I still hate them since they used to crush everyone all the time going from Montana to Young and winning 5 SBs in 14 years.[/QUOTE]

On paper you're absolutely right but then again on paper the Kansas City Chiefs shouldn't have been able to deal the Green Bay Packers their only loss of the season a few weeks ago. Also remember, it was one year ago that the #6 seed wild card ended up winning the Super Bowl. It's the playoffs, anything can happen.

As always I'd love for the Steelers to win it - but I'm guessing New England vs. Green Bay - with both teams scoring in the 60s.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']On paper you're absolutely right but then again on paper the Kansas City Chiefs shouldn't have been able to deal the Green Bay Packers their only loss of the season a few weeks ago. Also remember, it was one year ago that the #6 seed wild card ended up winning the Super Bowl. It's the playoffs, anything can happen.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

This year does feel a little different though, doesn't it? Out of the 12 teams that made it to the playoffs there are quite a few of them I'd give a 0% chance of even making it to the Super Bowl. I mean we can all agree that the Broncos, Texans and Bengals have no chance, right? That's 1/2 of the AFC playoff teams!

[quote name='Javery']I agree 100%.

This year does feel a little different though, doesn't it? Out of the 12 teams that made it to the playoffs there are quite a few of them I'd give a 0% chance of even making it to the Super Bowl. I mean we can all agree that the Broncos, Texans and Bengals have no chance, right? That's 1/2 of the AFC playoff teams![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't completely count out the Bengals lol. The Texans are pretty scrappy. They've had to be all year long. I'd have to see their starting lineup come their first playoff game since I don't keep up with their injuries.

[quote name='dm85']I wouldn't completely count out the Bengals lol. The Texans are pretty scrappy. They've had to be all year long. I'd have to see their starting lineup come their first playoff game since I don't keep up with their injuries.[/QUOTE]

If the Texans weren't missing pretty much all of their key players with the remaining ones still recovering from injuries they'd be one hell of a fucking team this year. The fact they've been able to keep up this long is quite an accomplishment. Unfortunately I don't see them going that far in the playoffs this year because of those injuries but I'll be damned if they aren't the team I'll be rootin' for the entire way through.

What other team in the playoffs has lost their key defensive player, 3 quarterbacks, 2 main running backs, their tight end, and their main receiver because of significant injuries at various points through the season? Like you said, that's a pretty damn scrappy team.

And remember the Texans are a god damn expansion team from only a few years ago. They stared with the bottom of the barrel in terms of everything.

Makes you shake your head at the Cowboys, Jets, Chargers and many others who should be much better than they are.

[quote name='dm85']I wouldn't completely count out the Bengals lol. The Texans are pretty scrappy. They've had to be all year long. I'd have to see their starting lineup come their first playoff game since I don't keep up with their injuries.[/QUOTE]

The Bengals were 9-0 against teams that missed the playoffs and 0-7 against teams that made the playoffs. They have a 0% chance to win the Super Bowl. :D

[quote name='Soodmeg']And remember the Texans are a god damn expansion team from only a few years ago. They stared with the bottom of the barrel in terms of everything.

Makes you shake your head at the Cowboys, Jets, Chargers and many others who should be much better than they are.[/QUOTE]

It was almost a decade. They were an expansion team in 2002.

[quote name='Javery']The Bengals were 9-0 against teams that missed the playoffs and 0-7 against teams that made the playoffs. They have a 0% chance to win the Super Bowl. :D[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the Lions (I don't know what their actual record against playoff teams is, but it can't be good).

Edit: the Lions were 0-5

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If the Texans weren't missing pretty much all of their key players with the remaining ones still recovering from injuries they'd be one hell of a fucking team this year. The fact they've been able to keep up this long is quite an accomplishment. Unfortunately I don't see them going that far in the playoffs this year because of those injuries but I'll be damned if they aren't the team I'll be rootin' for the entire way through.

What other team in the playoffs has lost their key defensive player, 3 quarterbacks, 2 main running backs, their tight end, and their main receiver because of significant injuries at various points through the season? Like you said, that's a pretty damn scrappy team.[/QUOTE]

Houston would have finished 13-3, before the schaub injury. That team is better
than most people give credit for. I think next year is their year. (if they're HEALTHY)

I wouldn't mind seeing a new england vs green bay superbowl.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Sounds like the Lions (I don't know what their actual record against playoff teams is, but it can't be good).

Edit: the Lions were 0-5[/QUOTE]

That Patriots are in the same boat. They didn't beat a single team that ended up over .500. The only playoff team they beat was the Broncos (lost to the Giants and Steelers).

I don't put much stock in it. Those are all quality teams. The only "bad" team in the playoffs is Denver.

If we are using the "went x-x VS playoff teams" to hand out the Lombardi trophy right now, Green Bay was 6-0 against teams that are in the playoffs.

No, we're just using it to compare different teams and how they did against potential/on the same level teams. And we all know that Green Bay was 15-1, they don't really belong in the same conversation as some of these other teams :p

[quote name='bvharris']That Patriots are in the same boat. They didn't beat a single team that ended up over .500. The only playoff team they beat was the Broncos (lost to the Giants and Steelers).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheBigAndy']If we are using the "went x-x VS playoff teams" to hand out the Lombardi trophy right now, Green Bay was 6-0 against teams that are in the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

That is telling. I don't think the Pats are that good for a #1 seed (but I do think they will get to the Super Bowl) because their passing attack can be slowed but I think the Packers are great (defense notwithstanding) and they have too many offensive weapons. I wouldn't mind handing out the Lombardi Trophy right now to the Packers - they have been the best team in the league this year. I still maintain that the Bengals have no chance to win the Super Bowl.

[quote name='Javery']The Bengals were 9-0 against teams that missed the playoffs and 0-7 against teams that made the playoffs. They have a 0% chance to win the Super Bowl. :D[/QUOTE]

Week 2 @ Broncos: L 24-22
Week 3 vs 49ers: L 13 - 8
Week 10 vs Steelers: L 24 - 17
Week 11 @ Ravens: L 31 - 24
Week 13 @ Steeleers: L 35-7
Week 14 vs Texans: L 20 - 19
Week 17 vs Ravens: L 24 -16

I only see one game that wasn't 7 points or less. Sure, their chance of reaching the Super Bowl is low, but never 0%.

[quote name='Soodmeg']And remember the Texans are a god damn expansion team from only a few years ago. They stared with the bottom of the barrel in terms of everything.

Makes you shake your head at the Cowboys, Jets, Chargers and many others who should be much better than they are.[/QUOTE]

This is their 10th season, and they're likely only in because Peyton Manning took the year off. Carolina and Jacksonville were both in their conference championship game in their second year, so don't marvel at how quick the Texans got in.

Also Dean Spanos has decided to keep Norv Turner and AJ Smith for next season. WTF.

[quote name='dm85']Week 2 @ Broncos: L 24-22
Week 3 vs 49ers: L 13 - 8
Week 10 vs Steelers: L 24 - 17
Week 11 @ Ravens: L 31 - 24
Week 13 @ Steeleers: L 35-7
Week 14 vs Texans: L 20 - 19
Week 17 vs Ravens: L 24 -16

I only see one game that wasn't 7 points or less. Sure, their chance of reaching the Super Bowl is low, but never 0%.[/QUOTE]

Well, obviously everyone has a chance to win if they are in the playoffs but if we were playing Oddsmakers on PTI right now I'd give them 0%.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Also Dean Spanos has decided to keep Norv Turner and AJ Smith for next season. WTF.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap. YES! I don't want to live in a world where Norv Turner and Andy Reid aren't head coaches. The comedy potential inside 2 minutes is off the charts.

[quote name='Javery']That is telling. I don't think the Pats are that good for a #1 seed (but I do think they will get to the Super Bowl) because their passing attack can be slowed[/QUOTE]

I'd agree that this Patriots team isn't as good as teams they've had in the past, but it's not because of the offense. They put up 32 points a game this year and Tom Brady threw for the second most yards in NFL history. There's not a lot of "slowing" going on. They can absolutely match Green Bay and New Orleans yard-for-yard.

When/if the Pats get bounced, I'm fairly confident it will be because they lost 40-35 or something.

Good news for the Raiders. Just need to sure up the defense and they should have a great shot at the AFC west next year with Norv still in SD and Tebow starting in Denver.

I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion that Tebow remains the starter in Denver. I still don't think Elway believes he's going to become a competent NFL quarterback (and I agree).

[quote name='bvharris']I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion that Tebow remains the starter in Denver. I still don't think Elway believes he's going to become a competent NFL quarterback (and I agree).[/QUOTE]

Elway said a week or two ago that he was committed to Tebow as the starter for next year. But a week or two before that he said he wasn't committed yet.

So he's likely still waffling.

In any case, I don't see them making a switch this off season. Tebow will being next year as the starter. If he struggles that will probably be his last chance though and they'll move to Quinn or trade for a veteran.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Elway said a week or two ago that he was committed to Tebow as the starter for next year.[/QUOTE]

Of course he says that now, he's not going to publicly undercut his quarterback heading into the playoffs.

I still think they're going to see what's out there in the offseason. They'd be insane not to.

We'll see. I'm not that worried about it as they don't have a great team overall.

The Raiders just need to fix their defense (need a new DC and some personal changes) and find a way to cut down on penalties and they'll win the AFC west easily next year with the talent they have on offense and Palmer having a full offseason and camp with the team.

[quote name='62t']As long as Tebow is playing half decent he is too popular to be replace.[/QUOTE]

that's the problem. Right now, he isn't even playing half decent

What the hell does Lovie Smith have on the McCaskey family that keeps him employed?! The Bears just flat out refuse to fire him. Also shocked Norv Turner didn't get the axe in SD.

[quote name='bvharris']Steelers, Texans, Giants, Saints[/QUOTE]

These are my picks but I keep waffling between the Texans and Bengals.

[quote name='perdition(troy']Steelers, Bengals, Falcons, Saints (though I hope the Lions show up for this game).[/QUOTE]

So 3 road teams? That's a lot even though there are usually one or two every year in the wild card round.

[quote name='Javery']Predictions?

AFC:
(5) Steelers
(4) Broncos

(6) Bengals
(3) Texans

NFC:
(5) Falcons
(4) Giants

(6) Lions
(3) Saints[/QUOTE]

Broncos. I know they haven't played great, but the Steelers are banged up and the Broncos are at home. I think they can pull off the upset between the Broncos D and the Tebow effect.

Texans. Foster and the Texans D pull it off.

Giants. I just can't count them out and the Falcons have not played consistent football this season.

Saints. It'll be a shootout and the Saints have more guns.

[quote name='62t']As long as Tebow is playing half decent he is too popular to be replace.[/QUOTE]

Oh if they keep losing you bet your ass they'll replace him.

They'll be looking at replacement options in the offseason, they just HAVE to at this point. Putting all the eggs in the Tebow basket will be asking for trouble.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Broncos. I know they haven't played great, but the Steelers are banged up and the Broncos are at home. I think they can pull off the upset between the Broncos D and the Tebow effect. [/QUOTE]

I can see this happening but I think the Steelers will grind out a 16-9 win or something like that. They haven't been scoring much either.

[quote name='jello44']Oh if they keep losing you bet your ass they'll replace him.

They'll be looking at replacement options in the offseason, they just HAVE to at this point. Putting all the eggs in the Tebow basket will be asking for trouble.[/QUOTE]

The problem is I don't see a lot of options this off season.

The draft looks pretty thin on QBs and I don't really see a lot of free agent possibilities. Maybe Flynn from GB (think he's a FA this off season) or take a chance on old ass McNabb.

If Tebow sucks it up early next year, they're going to really regret trading Orton IMO.

[quote name='Javery']Predictions?

AFC:
(5) Steelers
(4) Broncos

(6) Bengals
(3) Texans

NFC:
(5) Falcons
(4) Giants

(6) Lions
(3) Saints[/QUOTE]

Steelers. Broncos O is just struggling too much.

Texans. Bengals didn't beat a decent team all year.

Falcons. Playing pretty well right now.

Saints. Too much firepower for the Lions D.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The problem is I don't see a lot of options this off season.

The draft looks pretty thin on QBs and I don't really see a lot of free agent possibilities. Maybe Flynn from GB (think he's a FA this off season) or take a chance on old ass McNabb.

If Tebow sucks it up early next year, they're going to really regret trading Orton IMO.[/QUOTE]

OH GOD NO, I'd rather them stick with Tebow over McaNabb.

They just flat out waived Orton.

McNabb will never play another down in the NFL again unless he goes on some sort of sick conditioning program and is diesel by next spring.

[quote name='Javery']I can see this happening but I think the Steelers will grind out a 16-9 win or something like that. They haven't been scoring much either.[/QUOTE]

I'd expect a low scoring game like that. I definitely don't think the Broncos will blow them out, but I do think that the Steelers are very vulnerable this week and they're playing away. Regardless of who wins this game, I don't think they make it past the 2nd round.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']I'd expect a low scoring game like that. I definitely don't think the Broncos will blow them out, but I do think that the Steelers are very vulnerable this week and they're playing away. Regardless of who wins this game, I don't think they make it past the 2nd round.[/QUOTE]

I just don't see how the broncos, will be able to score more than
10 points on the steelers defense. Agree with the bolded, as much as
I love my team (pittsburgh), I don't see us going very far.

Wouldn't mind another rematch with the ravens though. . .

Welcome home, Josh McDaniels. I love it, he did his best work with the Patriots. I like how they wasted no time, he'll even coach in the playoffs.

I dont want to even say anything but my Lions are looking good against the Saints. Although they just robbed us of a fumble TD return.

But seriously the new NFL defense in shoulder barges being the new tackles is brutal.

Nice ref protection, they knew damn well that was a fumble and declared the play dead the moment Detroit recovered.

Big lol to New Orleans out of all teams trying to whine and ask for flags when their thugs on defense are the poster boys for dirty plays and getting away with a ton of bullshit.

I am officially playing the ref card. They have been all types of shitty today. You killed our fumble return for no reason, you called the Colston a TD on the field fucking ref is standing 2 ft away throws a flag and then singles TD? You have the awareness to throw a flag but not enough to know that someone cant have control with just a thumb?

That was a clear hold when KVB was rushing Drew Brees at the end of the half.

Wow, that is a weak ass holding call while not call the neck tackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget twice Suh had a clear run to the QB and yet was held by his jersey or push from behind and yet no call. This is fucking sad, barring some missed tackles Detroit is playing the most disciplined game of the season and they're just getting butt fucked over by these garbage refs obviously trying to set up a Greenbay New Orleans shootout.

LOL @ the generous spot refs strike again

Cant stand these rules so even though you jumped and cross the line but land with everything behind the line its still a 1st down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back