Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='DT778']If Manning wants championships he should go to the Niners. :pray:[/QUOTE]

pretty sure the 49ers have already said they wont pursue him. its too bad, manning would put them over the top i think. 3 year deal, i guarantee he wins a SB in those 3 years.

Of course they said they won't pursue him. Balke also said there was some interest in Randy Moss. He's just playing the game. No way he would just openly say he was looking at Manning but the Niners would be fools to not even sneak a peak.

[quote name='perdition(troy']If the niners brought in manning and wayne that would be just about an automatic SB within 3 years.[/QUOTE]

There's no such thing as an automatic Super Bowl win or anything close to it. Just ask the 2007 Patriots.

I also would like to see the Niners sign him, either that or the Texans. I think both of those teams would be better with than without him. Also, with the Texans he gets to stop the Colts twice a year. If he ends up with either of those two teams he is probably destined to at least reach the Super Bowl. I just hope he does not end up on a horrible team such as, Jacksonville, Miami, Cardnals and so on.

Out of the probably teams, here is what I see...

Seahawks, - I think Carol Would much rather draft a younger QB. He is building his system and I dont think Peyton will fit. 10% Cahnce
Redskins - Snyder will pay, but they are not an immediate super bowl contender. 15% Chance
Dolphins - Philbin is going to sign Matt Flynn. 0% Chance
Jets - Super Bowl Calipber defense, a good OL with recievers. 60% Chance
Titans - He Gets to play the Colts 2 times a year to stick it to them, not a terrible team, the state he played in during college. 10% Chance
Cardinals - Domed team with offensive weapons, and they might be willing to let Manning take over the offense. 5% Chance.

I'd agree with that, but put the Cardinals much higher. I really see it being between the Jets and Cardinals.

Not sure who has the edge. Jets have better all around team with the strong D etc. But playing in a dome and having Fitzgerald to throw to has to be tempting.

I don't know enough about either team to judge things like which O-line can protect him better etc.--which will have to be a huge part of his decision with his injury recovery. He isn't going to want to play somewhere he'll get hit a ton as the O-line is bad or mediocre.

Uhhhh, what the hell is wrong with you people? How easy you forget what happened yesterday.

Dude, Manning will not improve/win anyone a superbowl....or I guess the proper statement is that he doesnt and will not give anyone a better chance other than sheer football randomness.

Are we just going to forget that he is one of the worst post season QB in the history of the NFL? Manning has been a walking HOFer for the last what? 8 or 9 seasons? He has 1 ring to show for it and that was when everything was going right for Indy. They had a stellar defense, offense and coaching. He had the best in everything and only got 1 ring from it....anywhere he goes is 10000x worse than his Indy days.

You guys act like he is coming from winning 20 rings but in reality he barely could get 1 with while being the best regular season QB of all time with many HOF on defense and offense. Now he has new coaches, new gameplan, new tactics, new players.

The team that picks him up will improve but dont think superbowl.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Uhhhh, what the hell is wrong with you people? How easy you forget what happened yesterday.

Dude, Manning will not improve/win anyone a superbowl....or I guess the proper statement is that he doesnt and will not give anyone a better chance other than sheer football randomness.

Are we just going to forget that he is one of the worst post season QB in the history of the NFL? Manning has been a walking HOFer for the last what? 8 or 9 seasons? He has 1 ring to show for it and that was when everything was going right for Indy. They had a stellar defense, offense and coaching. He had the best in everything and only got 1 ring from it....anywhere he goes is 10000x worse than his Indy days.

You guys act like he is coming from winning 20 rings but in reality he barely could get 1 with while being the best regular season QB of all time with many HOF on defense and offense. Now he has new coaches, new gameplan, new tactics, new players.

The team that picks him up will improve but dont think superbowl.[/QUOTE]

Easy tiger, you're getting a little out of control there. What HOF defenders have they had there? Sanders? Freeney? I mean, if we're going to argue that one Super Bowl isn't enough, that would put Favre on that list too.

[quote name='soulvengeance']Easy tiger, you're getting a little out of control there. What HOF defenders have they had there? Sanders? Freeney? I mean, if we're going to argue that one Super Bowl isn't enough, that would put Favre on that list too.[/QUOTE]

I agree completly, I can't stand when people think Eli is better than Peyton because of the 2nd ring. The only qb of this gen. so far that can be argued as good as Peyton is Brady imo.

Why would Peyton Manning want to go to the same city as his brother, who just won a Super Bowl, and play for a team that's in shambles right now on offense.

I would put Farve on that list, there are different levels of HOF players both Manning and Farve will go on the bottom of the HOF list for never winning more than 1.

And are you saying that Freeney and Sanders werent helpful? What about Harrison and Wayne? There were HOF/Superstar (however you want to say it) all around him, he wont get that anywhere else. The bottom line is this....he had all of the best things a player could want and only managed 1. The hype around him coming in and leading a team is crazy. Is he better than Random McRandom QB? Yes the result will most likely be the same.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why would Peyton Manning want to go to the same city as his brother[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't mind living in the same city as someone in my immediate family.

[quote name='icp_00_111']I agree completly, I can't stand when people think Eli is better than Peyton because of the 2nd ring. The only qb of this gen. so far that can be argued as good as Peyton is Brady imo.[/QUOTE]

Then you apparently you dont value actual accomplishments. Is he better than his brother? Who gives a shit only sportcenter dolts try to make arguments like that to fill time.

The bottom line is Eli lead them to and won 2 rings. Period, with about the same amount of good defense and good offensive players around him.

I cant stand it when people try to discount the very thing the game is played for.

If Manning wants a project he should come to Cleveland. :) I'm just glad this process has started before the draft because it helps the Browns chances of getting RGIII.

I'm sure that Peyton would prefer to play in a city where he wouldn't be constantly scrutinized and compared with his brother at every turn, so he would be more likely to go somewhere that would let him have more control of the situation that he'd be put in.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I would put Farve on that list, there are different levels of HOF players both Manning and Farve will go on the bottom of the HOF list for never winning more than 1.

And are you saying that Freeney and Sanders werent helpful? What about Harrison and Wayne? There were HOF/Superstar (however you want to say it) all around him, he wont get that anywhere else. The bottom line is this....he had all of the best things a player could want and only managed 1. The hype around him coming in and leading a team is crazy. Is he better than Random McRandom QB? Yes the result will most likely be the same.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying only Freeney was a HOF on their defense. Manning did underachieve a little, but sheesh, worst postseason qb ever is kind of crazy to say. I would say Jim Kelly takes that one, because he never even won one, and he had way more talent then Manning had.

Dude he is the greatest regular season QB of all time. For him to only have 1 ring is brutal. Not even mentioned the fact that he rarely ever went deep in the playoffs. Isnt this the same as L.James and the Heat? People rip on him because he is clearly one of the best talents but can translate it to winning?

Its the same with Manning. I dont know what to say about the guy if I cant say that. Manning is words better than Farve ever was, he is worlds better than Rodgers, he is worlds better than the new look Brees (he has basically been Brees for 5 or so years now) I must think that he is a much better QB than what you guys are giving him credit for and as a Titans fan I hate the guy.

I wish him the best but I just dont see how if he couldnt win more than 1 there how its going to be better somewhere else. Although he doesnt have a choice.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Uhhhh, what the hell is wrong with you people? How easy you forget what happened yesterday.

The team that picks him up will improve but dont think superbowl.[/QUOTE]
You are high as fuck buddy. The Colts' defense was above average at its best during Manning's time in Indy. From 98-2011, their D finished in the top 10 only twice. The rest of the time, they ranged from 'not bad' to 'below average.' And it was never any better during the playoffs save for the year they won the Super Bowl.

Either way, Peyton's 1 ring is still more than the Jets, Seahawks, Browns, Chiefs, Texans, 49ers, Redskins, and Dolphins have combined since Peyton has been in the league.

An average defense to not so bad is enough to get you more than 1 ring. The Bears got to the superbowl without even having an offense that one year.

I find it strange that I am arguing for Manning since he is my teams biggest rival but it seems like everyone here is putting him in the average boat.

[quote name='Soodmeg']An average defense to not so bad is enough to get you more than 1 ring. The Bears got to the superbowl without even having an offense that one year.

I find it strange that I am arguing for Manning since he is my teams biggest rival but it seems like everyone here is putting him in the average boat.[/QUOTE]
If the stars align anything can happen, sure, but you're making it seem like winning the Super Bowl is supposed to be really easy. It's not, especially when you're going up against the Brady/Belichick era Patriots and overachieving Steelers.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Dude he is the greatest regular season QB of all time. For him to only have 1 ring is brutal. Not even mentioned the fact that he rarely ever went deep in the playoffs. Isnt this the same as L.James and the Heat? People rip on him because he is clearly one of the best talents but can translate it to winning?

Its the same with Manning. I dont know what to say about the guy if I cant say that. Manning is words better than Farve ever was, he is worlds better than Rodgers, he is worlds better than the new look Brees (he has basically been Brees for 5 or so years now) I must think that he is a much better QB than what you guys are giving him credit for and as a Titans fan I hate the guy.

I wish him the best but I just dont see how if he couldnt win more than 1 there how its going to be better somewhere else. Although he doesnt have a choice.[/QUOTE]

Well, LeBron still hasn't won anything, so that's not a really good comparison. Is he better then Rodgers and Brees? Sure. Worlds better, eh, I don't think it's as big as a gap as you're saying. While he's definitely a great player, the NFL can't be won by a single player alone. I'll agree that it probably won't get any better then what he had in Indy. But worst postseason qb ever.....come on man.

That exactly the opposite what I am saying, I am saying that having Manning wont drastically improve the chances of that team going to and winning the superbowl so I dont get the hype train about it.

If he couldnt win more than 1 with all the stability of being in Indy with HOFers around him stellar coaching etc etc then the likelihood of it happening somewhere else is low.

EDIT:

I am saying worlds better because Manning played through the era in which you could still hit people and press WRs. I dont value any QB in this new era where everyone throws for 5k yards like a flag football game.

[quote name='Soodmeg']That exactly the opposite what I am saying, I am saying that having Manning wont drastically improve the chances of that team going to and winning the superbowl so I dont get the hype train about it.

If he couldnt win more than 1 with all the stability of being in Indy with HOFers around him stellar coaching etc etc then the likelihood of it happening somewhere else is low.[/QUOTE]

I'm also not understanding the stellar coaching. Dungy was okay, but I don't think he was the greatest coach that ever lived. Hell, you could argue he underachieved in Tampa.

I must've been watching a different Colts team during the whole Manning tenure because I didn't see that many HOFers on the team, especially on defense.

Offense: Manning, Harrison, James, Wayne (?)
Defense: Freeney

During his early years (1998 to early 2000s), the defense was atrocious. I think the most telling statement was from former Colts GM Bill Polian who described the defense that he had helped put together as "unacceptable".

The early 2000s of course, also included his losses to New England. I still say that though Manning had better offensive players compared to Brady, the defensive players and schemes with which he played alongside were nowhere near New England's. Looking at the list of LBs and DBs in that season is reading a who's who of former players, even coming from a Colts fan.

One playoff loss which I can't put all on him was the loss to Pittsburgh in 2006 when he drove the team down to field goal range, all to have Vanderjagt push the ball wide right. Even his last game as a Colt, a loss in the wild card against the Jets, I'd put the blame on bad coaching that let the Jets get to field goal range to win the game.

Focusing on the defense, the only real playmakers the Colts have ever really had are Freeney and Mathis and they would disappear and when those two weren't heard from, the porous secondary was burned. That's the overall problem with the defense. Stuff those two guys and nobody else would be able to make a play. The QB would have all day to sit in the pocket to pick apart the secondary.

I'm not saying Manning is free from criticism, I'm just saying he wasn't surrounded with the great cast--an overall football team--that he seems to be made out to have had.

*Looks at Dan Synder

You better get the #2 Pick in the Draft, Dan. Be smart about football for once in your life.

Manning would be a good fit for the niners, but I don't see san francisco picking him up.

Dolphins or the cardinals are probably the next best fits for him imo. As long as he is healthy,
peyton should still be able to produce at a high level and make any team a legit contender.

Reggie Wayne made it sound like he would follow Manning to Miami if he went there, so I could see him choosing them. Also, with his house in south Florida it would make sense. They also have a pretty good LT to protect his blindside, other than that I don't know alot about the team, haven't seen many games to see how the defense is.

The Jets are out of the Manning sweepstakes as they've signed Mark Sanchez to an extension.

The Rams have apparently decided to trade their pick to the Redskins, who are supposedly giving them two future first-round picks in addition to their first pick this year.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
The Rams have apparently decided to trade their pick to the Redskins, who are supposedly giving them two future first-round picks in addition to their first pick this year.[/QUOTE]

Also their 2nd this year. So basically the Rams took them out to the woodshed.

Fans here in DC are excited nonetheless, that's what years of terrible QB play will do to a franchise.

At least they did something about trying to solve their QB problem besides just continuing to take other teams' leftovers or putting their hopes on landing Manning when the situation wasn't going to be all that appealing to him anyway.

I'm glad the Browns weren't willing to sell out their draft to move up, as giving up the chance to fill in a lot of holes for one guy is very risky. I knew it wasn't going to happen when they were putting their foot down on not giving up both of their first-round picks to make the deal.

Rams got one HELL of a deal (figures it'd be with the Skins). Rams got themselves an almost guaranteed top 10 pick for the next two years (on top of this years obviously). RG3 has everything to be huge, but I don't have faith in the Redskins to do shit to help him. Bet they keep the same stale ass RB's and WR's. RG3 gonna be counting the days until that rookie contract expires.

[quote name='SEH']Rams got one HELL of a deal (figures it'd be with the Skins). Rams got themselves an almost guaranteed top 10 pick for the next two years (on top of this years obviously). RG3 has everything to be huge, but I don't have faith in the Redskins to do shit to help him. Bet they keep the same stale ass RB's and WR's. RG3 gonna be counting the days until that rookie contract expires.[/QUOTE]

The Redskins have a ton of cap space. I can't see them doing this unless it meant they were about to go bananas in free agency. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see them make a huge play for a guy like Vincent Jackson and a few other pieces on top of that.

It was the right move. We didn't go out and spend money on a big named guy (Peyton Manning) to solve our QB problem. This shows that Snyder actually learned things from the Haynesworth fiasco and McNabb's 2 minute no-show.

With the cap room the Skins have, they can build around RG3 through free agency, sort of like how the Panthers did with Cam Newton this past season. Although it didn't help the Panthers Defense any.

[quote name='KingBroly']It was the right move. We didn't go out and spend money on a big named guy (Peyton Manning) to solve our QB problem. This shows that Snyder actually learned things from the Haynesworth fiasco and McNabb's 2 minute no-show.

With the cap room the Skins have, they can build around RG3 through free agency, sort of like how the Panthers did with Cam Newton this past season. Although it didn't help the Panthers Defense any.[/QUOTE]

Not so fast.

From Adam Schefter:
Trade will not change Redskins plans in pursuing Peyton Manning. Intend to talk with and try to sign him, even if considered a longshot.

Vintage Redskins.

I read that afterwards...and if we did that...I mean...I know Snyder is stupid, but he literally can't be THAT stupid, can he?

Given the richness of the deal, I hope the Redskins at least kicked the tires on offering the same package to the Colts before they cut ties with Manning. Unless they prefer Griffin to Luck.

[quote name='KingBroly']The Colts could still pick Griffin over Luck.[/QUOTE]
They won't. I'm not particularly on Luck's hype train, but too many analysts are calling him the most NFL ready quarterback ever. With Manning, no way will the Colts pass him up.

Jacobs was cut. I'm not sorry to see him go. I'm a little bit disappointed about Kareem McKenzie though but I recognize he was getting up there in years...

I'm not sad the Browns didn't give up a ton to get RGIII, but it sucks that they were trying but couldn't negotiate for shit it seems. I dont think theyre getting any better until they get a new owner. Oh well, time to pay my next season ticket deposit. :)

For the love god the Lions should be on the phone with both Gary Bent and Brandon Jacobs, we need both.

Here in Detroit they cant figure out if its time to trade/cut Calvin Johnson. If they keep him without restructuring his deal about 23% of our entire cap goes to him. The guy is clearly one of the best WR in the league but I see their point. To that I say, fuck you find a way to keep him.

If I had a choice I would let Matt Stafford walk if he didnt lower his contract....its very clear 80% of his stats come from throwing to CJ....hell CJ put up 1800 yards with Dan Orlavski throwing to him that one year.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The Jets are out of the Manning sweepstakes as they've signed Mark Sanchez to an extension.

The Rams have apparently decided to trade their pick to the Redskins, who are supposedly giving them two future first-round picks in addition to their first pick this year.[/QUOTE]

Manning told Jets and Skins he wouldn't play there because of his brother being in the same division/city. Makes sense.

I see him in Arizona or Miami.

Redskins better hope RG3 is close to Cam Newton or this could be a trade for the ages in terms of awful ones.

Lastly, Alex Smith is gonna play hardball now after making millions playing like absolute shit? Come on man.

The only reason Alex Smith will be a starter for the 49ers next season is because Harbaugh believes in him. Get him some WR help and he might turn out better than decent.

Everything about RG3 with the Skins tells me they'll build around him through free agency for a couple of years and that'll be enough to get him going. Unlike Newton though, the Skins will look to outside the team for spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back