Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Smith is kidding himself if he thinks he's done anything to justify earning anything more than what he's been making. The 49ers' beastly defense kept him in games where the offense stalled badly, which happens when the playbook seems to be Run by Gore, Check Down to Gore and Deep Ball to Vernon Davis. Outside one spectacular season as a team and the greatest drive of his career against the Saints, he has been terribly underwhelming making the pay he does.

[quote name='ced']Alex Smith is kidding himself if he thinks he's done anything to justify earning anything more than what he's been making. The 49ers' beastly defense kept him in games where the offense stalled badly, which happens when the playbook seems to be Run by Gore, Check Down to Gore and Deep Ball to Vernon Davis. Outside one spectacular season as a team and the greatest drive of his career against the Saints, he has been terribly underwhelming making the pay he does.[/QUOTE]

He didn't make much this year and I think they are offering him 3/21. That's more than fair.

I'm usually never one of those guys that feels an athlete "owes" a team when contract talks come up, but if anyone owes a team, its Alex Smith. Prior to this year he'd been the drizzling shits since 2005 and the 49ers always kept him around and gave him a chance.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There's not much of a better tutor out there for Tebow than Peyton Manning.[/QUOTE]

Sources claim if they sign Peyton they are looking to trade Tebow. I'd have him learn from Peyton for 3 years, but that's just me.

[quote name='DestroVega']Sources claim if they sign Peyton they are looking to trade Tebow. I'd have him learn from Peyton for 3 years, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

I'd trade him to Jacksonville for Blaine Gabbert and have him learn under Peyton instead.

[quote name='DestroVega']Sources claim if they sign Peyton they are looking to trade Tebow. I'd have him learn from Peyton for 3 years, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]
Sources have been saying that since last year's training camp, so I'll believe it when I see it. I don't see them trading him when he's the only QB left on their roster unless they want to go for another QB high up in the draft.

[quote name='soulvengeance']That would be a good move for him, solid defense, offense isn't too bad. I'm sure they'll sign Wayne and Clark too.[/QUOTE]

Colts reunion in Dove Valley!

I don't recall Denver being on anybody's list for likely Manning suitors, so it's a surprise that the expectations would be so wrong so quickly. He'd have good receivers to work with in Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker along with Willis McGahee in the back field. The offensive line is pretty good, so they can keep him protected well enough.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...j-williams-ryan-mcbean-virgil-green-suspended

I read that Denver's DJ Williams, Ryan McBean, and Virgil Green are being suspended for the first six games (Williams and McBean) and four games (Green) of the 2012 season for failing tests for performance enhancing substances, though the first two might have some Ryan Braun-type reasons to challenge it due to the person that administered their tests was fired for violating protocols for testing. Green apparently took ADHD medicine before the NFL approved it and failed the test, though he's been approved to take it since failing that test.

Figured that was the case. Manning has only visited two teams. I know they're saying he wants to get this done ASAP, but to be 95% after two or three days and only two team visits seemed pretty BS to me. My guess is he'll hit up the Dolphins next, and then probably the Titans and maybe the Seahawks, then make his decision sometime this coming weekend.

[quote name='SEH']Figured that was the case. Manning has only visited two teams. I know they're saying he wants to get this done ASAP, but to be 95% after two or three days and only two team visits seemed pretty BS to me. My guess is he'll hit up the Dolphins next, and then probably the Titans and maybe the Seahawks, then make his decision sometime this coming weekend.[/QUOTE]

He wants to get it done soon so the team he choose, Denver, have time to acquire and build free agency around him. Orange and Blue baby!

He's looking to make his choice within a week or so, which means that the teams he visits first are probably his most likely choices if things went well and those he ignores are likely out of it. Seattle keeps getting brought up in articles as not being able to get him to visit their facilities, so they seem to be out of it. He's not obligated to visit everybody that has contacted him and his agent if he's not seriously considering them.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...s-washington-redskins-lose-millions-cap-space

Complete and utter bullshit. They took advantage of the situation before them and then get punished for something that was legal at the time. No wonder why football has quickly moved down my list of favorite sports. Shit like this is why I stopped watching NASCAR.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Obviously if only two teams did it the knowledge was there that this was something you probably shouldn't do.

Every team did it though, except they were the obvious offenders. It smells like a lawsuit if you ask me. Also, it sounds like a power grab on Goodell's part if he gets away with it, since he'd be able to do it to any other team in the future.

This is going to bite Goodell in the ass, mark my words.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Randy Moss to 49ers. One year deal.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...ancisco-49ers-agree-one-year-deal-source-says[/QUOTE]

Yuck, so much for rooting for the 49ers this year.
[quote name='DestroVega']Well I guess T.O., Jerry Rice and Steve Largent were busy.

Moss is definitely the guy you want around Crabtree during his most pivotal season.[/QUOTE]

They'll quickly learn what the Titans, Vikings, Patriots, and Raiders already know; he's a poison. The only coach who even had a shot at keeping him in line was Belichock and well, that's fucking Belichick, nobody fucks with Belichick's team.

Shut up you fools, Moss is no where near the trouble maker the media kept trying to portray him as.

He was very selfish but never actually killed a team like many other players. He rarely talks to media, he rarely yells or causes confrontation, he just quits on everyone.

Its one of those things that annoy the hell out of me because people want to bad mouth Randy Moss like he is the worst thing ever yet you have wife beaters, rapist, murdered and drug dealers on the team that are apparently a-ok to have around the young rookie. Football mythology is so full of shit most of the time.

I like Randy, one of my favorite recievers of all time. By far one of the most skilled players of all time, my only gripe is imagine how great he could have been if he had a stronger internal drive to go all out every play.

Meh, you have to understand that no everyone cares about being that guy, just because he was good at football doesnt mean he wanted to buy into that crap.

I always reminded of Ricky Williams, all the talent in the world but just didnt care for being the NFL guy.

Harbaugh + Moss?

I like this combination. I really do. Harbaugh is an outspoken hardass who motivates his players to do his bidding. He's the type of coach figure Moss needs to be successful again.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Meh, you have to understand that no everyone cares about being that guy, just because he was good at football doesnt mean he wanted to buy into that crap.

I always reminded of Ricky Williams, all the talent in the world but just didnt care for being the NFL guy.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, but I don't think he can do anything else. Ricky at least tried everywhere he went, Moss just up and quit on the Raiders and his second go around with the Vikings. Don't get it twisted, he wants to be the guy, he just doesn't want to work for it. I will agree that he's no where near being a team killer, mainly because he's never really been the leader wherever he's been.

So since the League is forcing the Cowboys and Redskins to pay half and half of this fine that were not against the rules at the time, if they took the League to court and won, wouldn't that mean they'd get money back in future cap years as well as other teams losing cap space for those years?

The whole thing stinks of collusion and extortion if you ask me.

[quote name='KingBroly']So since the League is forcing the Cowboys and Redskins to pay half and half of this fine that were not against the rules at the time, if they took the League to court and won, wouldn't that mean they'd get money back in future cap years as well as other teams losing cap space for those years?

The whole thing stinks of collusion and extortion if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

I've sort of changed my mind on this topic, the contracts were approved by the management council. Not fair to put penalties on them now.

At the same time I think it says something that 30 (or 28) other teams chose not to do it. Kind of does suggest that teams were told, even if informally, that there might be penalties for front-loading contracts.

I'm also amused by the idea that Albert Haynesworth (Public Enemy numbers 1-10 in DC) continues to come back to bite the Redskins.

Allen said the NFL didn't send them written documentation about it. I'm going to assume that they know about the penalties, but are saying 'fuck your bullshit.' I imagine the league won't send written documentation since it would basically incriminate themselves, allowing the Redskins and Cowboys to sue and win easily.

Also, I imagine the NFLPA will get involved once the League says 'no, you can't sign this guy because of cap space' and the Redskins dispute it. It's going to be very messy.

bvharris, it doesn't change the fact that it was an uncapped year and there were no rules in place to say you couldn't do it. Informally, it's collusion, and therefore illegal. The Redskins and Cowboys decided not to participate in it.

[quote name='KingBroly']
Also, I imagine the NFLPA will get involved once the League says 'no, you can't sign this guy because of cap space' and the Redskins dispute it. It's going to be very messy.
[/QUOTE]

That intent of distributing the cap space among 28 other teams would seem to be to keep the NFLPA out of it, since I'm sure they would be raising a stink if it meant a reduction in total salaries.

I agree it could get messy, but I'm not convinced the NFLPA will go to war over this one.

[quote name='KingBroly']
bvharris, it doesn't change the fact that it was an uncapped year and there were no rules in place to say you couldn't do it. Informally, it's collusion, and therefore illegal. The Redskins and Cowboys decided not to participate in it.[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but I don't think it changes the reality of the situation.

For the record, I don't agree with the penalties either, but I think the Redskins/Cowboys have only themselves to blame. Let's not act like they took some sort of principled stand here.

[quote name='bvharris']That intent of distributing the cap space among 28 other teams would seem to be to keep the NFLPA out of it, since I'm sure they would be raising a stink if it meant a reduction in total salaries.

I agree it could get messy, but I'm not convinced the NFLPA will go to war over this one.

I understand that, but I don't think it changes the reality of the situation.

For the record, I don't agree with the penalties either, but I think the Redskins/Cowboys have only themselves to blame. Let's not act like they took some sort of principled stand here.[/QUOTE]

It's also not like they're the only ones who did it. Every team did it, they just did it more than everyone else because they could and were allowed to do so. This is probably going to court at some point, and when that happens, the League has less of a chance of winning in court than either of those teams do on the field.

From my understanding those two teams went a little overboard when structuring contracts in the uncapped year. Miles Austin & Haynesworth's contracts for example were heavily frontloaded in the uncapped year, and very thin for all the other years after (not sure what exactly as I don't have time to look it up right now). The idea of doing this is that these players would still get paid, but would allow Dallas & Washington to have a huge amount of cap space now because of that structure. It's unfair to all other teams, and everyone was warned several times to not do this.

However, with that being said, this still falls on Goodell, since the NFL has to approve all contracts. Had the NFL actually done its job it would have never got this far.

fucking stupid move by the Dolphins. Hey guys, lets trade arguably the best player on the team for some crappy picks. Okay.

Speculation they did this because Manning took issue with Marshalls off the field problems. If that's the case, the Dolphins are dumber than I thought. Make a move to trade your top player to appease someone who you aren't even sure will sign with you, makes sense.

[quote name='SEH']fucking stupid move by the Dolphins. Hey guys, lets trade arguably the best player on the team for some crappy picks. Okay.

Speculation they did this because Manning took issue with Marshalls off the field problems. If that's the case, the Dolphins are dumber than I thought. Make a move to trade your top player to appease someone who you aren't even sure will sign with you, makes sense.[/QUOTE]

You mean the draft isn't tomorrow? :whistle2:s

Obviously they had to get those third rounders STAT, why let the QB situation sort itself out first. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back