Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Howard is better inside than Bosh, but I can see the Heat going "small" against the Nets and forcing Howard to guard Bosh, who can nail the perimeter shot. That would force Howard out of the key, neutralizing him defensively.

The Heat signed Rashard Lewis at a discount. If they get him healthy, they are building a pretty deep team...[/QUOTE]

The Heat are the team to beat. Their only glaring weakness is at C or PG, which they have yet to address. This is one area the Nets could exploit... assuming they get Howard. Having said that defending the Heat will be a nightmare now that they picked up , Allen and Lewis. Lebron and Wade will face fewer double teams.

[quote name='DestroVega']Blame that on Cuban. He put all his eggs in the "we'll sign Deron and Dwight" basket.[/QUOTE]

Barea Butler and D-Steve all had subpar years. Chandler is the only one who would have been worth keeping but he is currently overpaid.

[quote name='merchie89']Heat may also bring in Kwame or Pryzbilla as big man depth, neither should play but its a good depth move

Read something about talks about Howard to LA, and Bynum to Houston 3 team deal.[/QUOTE]

"Kwame" and "good" should never be in the same sentence unless the word following "good" is "riddance"

[quote name='merchie89']The Magic front office is dumb[/QUOTE]

I agree. Howard should already be property of Brooklyn. Now they might trade him, with Bynum going to Houston? That's horrible. The Nets Lopez, Humphries and Brooks are not shitty players, and three first rounders? I don't understand not taking that deal. They won't be any worse.

[quote name='DestroVega']I agree. Howard should already be property of Brooklyn. Now they might trade him, with Bynum going to Houston? That's horrible. The Nets Lopez, Humphries and Brooks are not shitty players, and three first rounders? I don't understand not taking that deal. They won't be any worse.[/QUOTE]
Lopez played what 5 games last season, broke his foot twice... really think it is worth it for a max contract... no way. Humphries and Brooks go other places, no need for their contracts. The 3 picks are potential, esp if shaving Hedo/Richardson and Duhon contracts. Hopefully, things can work out for Bynum.

As for the idea of the Nets with Howard, there is only one ball. Dwight Howard shares the paint with no one (sorry Gerald). Johnson and Williams require tons of touches, which Dwight is not used to (inside out is what the Magic ran all those years). I don't see them being as great as others might think.

-----------------------------------------------
In other news, Miami is going to be unstoppable. They just got Rashard Lewis, as if they didn't need another shooter. All other teams should just pack up and leave.

[quote name='lordopus99']

In other news, Miami is going to be unstoppable. They just got Rashard Lewis, as if they didn't need another shooter. All other teams should just pack up and leave.[/QUOTE]

There are some things money can't buy. Miami hasn't found them yet ;)

[quote name='advanced']It's not like they can go out and sign a quality 4, right? They'll have the few exceptions and vet min contracts to fill out that roster after so long, right?

Still, that's a horrible team setup they have in my book.[/QUOTE]

Not sure they need a 4, at least in the immediate future. They can put Crash at the 4 and play small ball with Dwight at the 5.

[quote name='renique46']What in the world is Houstons secret that they seem just fine with rentals of Howard or Bynum if they trade for them.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they think they can turn the players thoughts around? I know Danny Ainge of the Celtics would have tried to do that with Chris Paul if they had ever gotten that trade.

Edit: They could also get pieces back to facilitate a S&T at the end of the season. Bynum/Howard doesn't want to stay in Houston but they can offer the most money (Unless this was changed in the CBA) and they can get a pick or two and a trade exception or a player or something.

[quote name='lordopus99']Lopez played what 5 games last season, broke his foot twice... really think it is worth it for a max contract... no way. Humphries and Brooks go other places, no need for their contracts. The 3 picks are potential, esp if shaving Hedo/Richardson and Duhon contracts. Hopefully, things can work out for Bynum.

As for the idea of the Nets with Howard, there is only one ball. Dwight Howard shares the paint with no one (sorry Gerald). Johnson and Williams require tons of touches, which Dwight is not used to (inside out is what the Magic ran all those years). I don't see them being as great as others might think.

In other news, Miami is going to be unstoppable. They just got Rashard Lewis, as if they didn't need another shooter. All other teams should just pack up and leave.[/QUOTE]

LOLs all around

[quote name='DestroVega']All true except these two things:

Howard's shoe contract only brings back insane money if he's playing in LA or NYC. if the Lakers somehow get him, ok cool. But other than that, taking the mid-level for two years until he maxes out is still more total money than playing in say Houston with max money from the get go.[/quote]

He could get more in a huge market like that, but already has had the huge shoe deal and other big endorsements in a fairly small market in Orlando. He's already a huge star/celebrity so he won't get as big a boost going to a huge market that a lesser star might.

And secondly, the Nets have an owner who doesn't care about how much luxury tax he pays, he will pay whatever. He can make enough money to pay the luxury tax in one week.

Probably true unfortunately, and one of many reasons the NBA is pretty much a joke now. Have a lock out and the new CBA still allows this kind of crap. The sport is already boring on the court with all the ISO crap instead of team basketball. And now there's not much thrill as there's so few teams that can truly compete for the title. The Heat will win several over the next 5-10 years, and next year there's what maybe 4 or 5 teams that could realistically win the title (Heat, Thunder, Lakers, Spurs--add the Nets if they pull of this deal).

I watched maybe 5 full NBA games last year--all playoff games. Not sure I'll watch any next year.

[quote name='DestroVega']I agree. Howard should already be property of Brooklyn. Now they might trade him, with Bynum going to Houston? That's horrible. The Nets Lopez, Humphries and Brooks are not shitty players, and three first rounders? I don't understand not taking that deal. They won't be any worse.[/QUOTE]

I think they just know that those players aren't getting them a title so they don't really want to take on those contracts. They look to be more just wanting to dump big contracts and free up salary to start from scratch in rebuilding. They seem more interested in dumping guys like Richardson and/or Turkoglu and getting draft picks than they care about getting veteran talent in return.

Guess the new GM wants to build his team from scratch like his former boss did with the Thunder. Problem is they're getting draft picks from the Nets and Clippers in the proposed deals, which are playoff teams and thus would be late first round picks. Guess they could bundle them to trade up and tank it for a year or two to get some more lottery picks.

^ what you say about only a few teams being able to win the title is true, but that's always been how the NBA is. Since 1979 guess how many of the leagues teams have ZERO titles.....

70%.

It's ridiculous.

True. I've never been a huge NBA fan. Probably just time to quit bothering following it at all. College football and basketball and the NFL already eat up more of my free time than I should allow.

It is worse now though with the ISO shit. At least in the past teams like the 80s Celtics and Lakers, 90s Bulls etc. were actually fun to watch.

The Magic just put their own man part in their own butt.

They will soon realize that they will get no better offer, and either still trade him to the Nets at the deadline or get a bigger pile of doo doo from Houston or someone at the deadline.

Hennigan is gonna become a GM of awful proportions. 4 picks and Lopez is the best you were gonna find out there dumbbutt.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True. I've never been a huge NBA fan. Probably just time to quit bothering following it at all. College football and basketball and the NFL already eat up more of my free time than I should allow.

It is worse now though with the ISO shit. At least in the past teams like the 80s Celtics and Lakers, 90s Bulls etc. were actually fun to watch.[/QUOTE]

You got to expand on this ISO argument because I don't understand it. The NBA is a pick and roll league, and ISO players have limited success. See Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant outside the triangle as proof.

As far as people complaining about certain teams dominating, don't complain about that and then say the college game is better. College Football and Basketball are full of about 10 programs who dominate just about every other program. How are the Heat or the Lakers any different than Carolina or Kentucky basketball?

[quote name='CaseyRyback']You got to expand on this ISO argument because I don't understand it. The NBA is a pick and roll league, and ISO players have limited success. See Carmelo Anthony and Kobe Bryant outside the triangle as proof.

As far as people complaining about certain teams dominating, don't complain about that and then say the college game is better. College Football and Basketball are full of about 10 programs who dominate just about every other program. How are the Heat or the Lakers any different than Carolina or Kentucky basketball?[/QUOTE]

I won't bother elaborating much. I'll just bow out of the thread after this post and leave it for those who still enjoy the NBA. It's just bores me be it ISO, pick and roll etc.

My affinity for college sports over pro is mainly from just growing up in a state with no pro sports where the state school is the big deal. But there are differences in the type of play as well that I prefer. With basketball it is a lot more team offense oriented than iso or two player pick and roll etc. With football there's a lot more variety in offenses with teams running pro style or various different spread systems etc.

To the latter, there's still more variety in teams winning in college as it's harder to build a dynasty when you only have players for a max of 4 years and most super starts leaving after 1 or 2 years etc. For instance, here are the champions from 2000 on.

Michigan State
Duke
Maryland
Syracuse
Connecticut
North Carolina
Florida
Florida
Kansas
North Carolina
Duke
Connecticut
Kentucky

[quote name='DestroVega']LOLs all around[/QUOTE]
Glad I made you laugh... I laughed when everybody told me Lebron wouldn't get his and NY would be a strong team... both which backfired since Lebron got his ring and NY is still garbage. I can remind you later on if Dwight ends up there, which probably won't happen now.

[quote name='merchie89']The Magic just put their own man part in their own butt.

They will soon realize that they will get no better offer, and either still trade him to the Nets at the deadline or get a bigger pile of doo doo from Houston or someone at the deadline.

Hennigan is gonna become a GM of awful proportions. 4 picks and Lopez is the best you were gonna find out there dumbbutt.[/quote]
Obviously, you have no clue. The Rockets will have a 1st round Toronto Raptor pick (lottery). The Rockets aren't that great of a team either so their picks are valuable unlike anything the Nets given (which both are playoff teams i.e. not lottery). Orlando is in to build from the ground up like how the Thunder did (i.e. where he came from). Shaving our contracts is top priority.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']As far as people complaining about certain teams dominating, don't complain about that and then say the college game is better. College Football and Basketball are full of about 10 programs who dominate just about every other program. How are the Heat or the Lakers any different than Carolina or Kentucky basketball? [/quote]
What are you watching... Butler made the finals two years in a row. They are a midmajor in case you weren't aware. The middle of the pack teams in the NBA have zero chance at that. Did you not watching the 2010-11 tourney... VCU, a team that was about to be snubbed by the committee, made the final four. UConn won with hard and hustle while being smaller than most teams.

[quote name='renique46']LOL lockout

LMAO CBA [/quote]
Totally agree. The NBA continues to be a bigger and bigger joke. If the Bobcats tickets weren't so damn cheap, I probably would forgo the NBA at this point.

[quote name='lordopus99']

Obviously, you have no clue. The Rockets will have a 1st round Toronto Raptor pick (lottery). The Rockets aren't that great of a team either so their picks are valuable unlike anything the Nets given (which both are playoff teams i.e. not lottery). Orlando is in to build from the ground up like how the Thunder did (i.e. where he came from). Shaving our contracts is top priority.

[/QUOTE]

That lottery pick from Toronto could not be for like 3-4 years, while they lose 60 games and lose fans and money.

Every team isnt going to be the Thunder, people use them as an example and they are dumb to do that. Yeah every team gets a chance to draft the best scorer in the NBA, or the possibly fastest point guard.

Picks does NOT equal success. This was also the goon who had some say in drafting Aldrich, another stupid move.

The Magic are not going to get any better offer than this, and if he doesnt get traded in January and then WALKS this guy should probably get fired. Dumb, dumb, dumb....

[quote name='lordopus99']Glad I made you laugh... I laughed when everybody told me Lebron wouldn't get his and NY would be a strong team... both which backfired since Lebron got his ring and NY is still garbage. I can remind you later on if Dwight ends up there, which probably won't happen now.

What are you watching... Butler made the finals two years in a row. They are a midmajor in case you weren't aware. The middle of the pack teams in the NBA have zero chance at that. Did you not watching the 2010-11 tourney... VCU, a team that was about to be snubbed by the committee, made the final four. UConn won with hard and hustle while being smaller than most teams.

Totally agree. The NBA continues to be a bigger and bigger joke. If the Bobcats tickets weren't so damn cheap, I probably would forgo the NBA at this point.[/QUOTE]

March Madness and the NBA playoffs are out to achieve two different goals. The NCAA seeks to create excitement, but not determine the best team in the country. The limited margin of error created by the one and done format and the quick turnaround for the Saturday and Sunday games allows for limited preparation. The NBA on the other hand seeks out to determine the best team. It may be somewhat flawed, but it does a much better job than the NCAA by using the 4 out of 7 format.

To point out examples of upsets, almost every expert picked against the Mavs in all four rounds of the playoffs last year. Within the past five years three 8's have beaten 1's. Let's not forget things like the Knick's making the finals as an 8 seed and clutch city winning title number 2 as a six seed.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']March Madness and the NBA playoffs are out to achieve two different goals. The NCAA seeks to create excitement, but not determine the best team in the country. The limited margin of error created by the one and done format and the quick turnaround for the Saturday and Sunday games allows for limited preparation. The NBA on the other hand seeks out to determine the best team. It may be somewhat flawed, but it does a much better job than the NCAA by using the 4 out of 7 format.

To point out examples of upsets, almost every expert picked against the Mavs in all four rounds of the playoffs last year. Within the past five years three 8's have beaten 1's. Let's not forget things like the Knick's making the finals as an 8 seed and clutch city winning title number 2 as a six seed.[/QUOTE]

The Knicks made the finals in that hokey lockout season when a lot of players showed up 10-30 pounds over weight. That point deserves an asterisk

[quote name='jlarlee']The Knicks made the finals in that hokey lockout season when a lot of players showed up 10-30 pounds over weight. That point deserves an asterisk[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of any team, but this is a dumb comment. Give me a break.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Mavs also picked up Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones for Ian Mahinmi. So they got a legit PG and a good defender off the bench.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me like everyone really burned them not getting Williams. However with Collison and Kaman coming in, that obviously keeps them in hunt for top 4 playoff seed.

Collison can be no worse than Kidd and Haywood was a flop of Diop proportions

[quote name='renique46']top 4 lmao fuck no[/QUOTE]

Lakers and Thunder, Spurs maybe. Then who? Memphis, Clippers, Denver?

Kaman is a pretty underrated guy, Collison will be better than Kidd.

Like I said it keeps them in the running, there is a top 3 in West and then every other playoff team within 3 games of each other

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm not a fan of any team, but this is a dumb comment. Give me a break.[/QUOTE]

That season was back when I watched a ton of basketball. it was a mess of a season. It shouldn't hold any kind of historical significance

[quote name='jlarlee']That season was back when I watched a ton of basketball. it was a mess of a season. It shouldn't hold any kind of historical significance[/QUOTE]

You can't just say, "oh it doesn't count". Every team was in the same boat

Apparently Blake Griffin injured his knee during a US basketball scrimmage. :cold:

The Clippers curse lives! #-o

Hopefully dude is ok and it isn't too serious of an injury.

Noo, Blake. Damm Clippers curse doesn't take an off season. Hopefully its just a tweaked knee and rejoins the team after some days off.

But apparently hes back in L.A and going to get an MRI today and on Sunday by Clippers teams doctors.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Seriously. Kobe bryant need to shut his fucking mouth. I am kidding sick of him being the surpreme being of how players should live there lives.

This guy has got to be the most over rated player in nba history. Talk about needing help for Bron Bron. Kobe only needed the greatest coach innba history, the strongest and top 3 greatest big man in MBA history, with each team having about 4 fantastic role players.

The shaq leaves, Jackson leaves, Kobe's is by himself (this is apparently when real superstars show heir worth) what's this? They miss the play offs or only get the 8th seed Kobe demands a trade and the trade of Bynum. Cries like a bitch with even more drama than Howard and the magic. Then they get gasol and jackson comes back they start winning again.

Kobe has never done anything even remotely by himself. He has not only had "help" but had some of the greatest players and coach ever around him his whole career.[/QUOTE]

And how many rings did Jordan get Without Phil and a all star player and defender in Pippen? Both Kobe and Jordan needed a great coach and teammates to get chips is all you can get out of your debate.

And what is wrong with Kobe saying that this team could beat the 92 team? Which Both Lebron and CP3 said as well.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/...l-jordan-laughed-kobe-bryant-dream-team-boast

WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSE TO SAY?

"We have a good team right now...but yep, that 92 team would whoop our ass"?

Funny how Barkley is the first to jump on this, as that's the only thing he ever won. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I don't give a crap about whether this team came
Meet the 92 team. That is a pointless topic I was referring to his abilities to judge other players lives (most recently he told ls that he should be as close friends with lbj because that's not what he did).

Let's not forget he cheated on his wife an was accused of rape a great judge of moral char.

[quote name='Viol8tor']Noo, Blake. Damm Clippers curse doesn't take an off season. Hopefully its just a tweaked knee and rejoins the team after some days off.

But apparently hes back in L.A and going to get an MRI today and on Sunday by Clippers teams doctors.

And how many rings did Jordan get Without Phil and a all star player and defender in Pippen? Both Kobe and Jordan needed a great coach and teammates to get chips is all you can get out of your debate.

And what is wrong with Kobe saying that this team could beat the 92 team? Which Both Lebron and CP3 said as well.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/...l-jordan-laughed-kobe-bryant-dream-team-boast

WHAT ARE THEY SUPPOSE TO SAY?

"We have a good team right now...but yep, that 92 team would whoop our ass"?

Funny how Barkley is the first to jump on this, as that's the only thing he ever won. :lol:[/QUOTE]

exactly i cant stand this shit, its like what are they supposed say "yep we'd get steamrolled!" people need to stfu and stop whining about this shit. I mean no one said they would blow out the dream team by 40 or anything so whats the issue here.

Again no one was really talking about whether this team can beat that team. You guys have seen me say a million times that topicsike that are worthless just the same as my super star is better than this superstar.

I don't thin any really gives a flying fuck about that topic other than the people who played on the team.

Brand and Louis Scola got amnestied, now they have to clear waivers before they can sign with anyone. Does the NBA team who picks em up off waivers have to pay them the contract they had before? I dont think anyone would pay Brand 18 mil. Id love to see either of these guys on the bucks, for a good price though.

No. The team who amnestied them is in charge of the prior contract. The team who picks them up only owes them what they sign him for (either off random, highest paid waivers or FA signing).

I kind of saw Brand coming, but did anybody expect Scola? His contract was pretty modest I thought. Hmmm. Well, hope he goes to a good team.

It looks like Dallas is bidding on both players and looking at getting Calderon in a trade. Thank God they finally made some moves in pulling off that sweet Indy trade and signing Caveman.

[quote name='advanced']No. The team who amnestied them is in charge of the prior contract. The team who picks them up only owes them what they sign him for (either off random, highest paid waivers or FA signing).

I kind of saw Brand coming, but did anybody expect Scola? His contract was pretty modest I thought. Hmmm. Well, hope he goes to a good team.[/QUOTE]

I read they amnestied Scola to free up cap room to get Dwight Howard. Hope it works out for them. Scola is a good player.

[quote name='DestroVega']How can we win the Dunk Over a Car gold medal without Blake!?!?![/QUOTE]

LeBron is going to have to finally step up and enter a Dunk Contest. We were all banking on that Dunk Over a Car gold coming home to America. Maybe this is the moment he was waiting for?

bread's done
Back