Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

[quote name='CaseyRyback']England not Sudan.[/QUOTE]

His nickname is Sudan Superman, but he is a Brit. My bad.

[quote name='Habbler']Loul Deng is going to play for Sudan in the Olympics against the teams wishes. His wrist is still messed up and he can't have surgery until after the games are over which means he will be sitting and recovering longer than the organization wants. Loul is amazing and I wish we kept him, but he is venturing into that liability category.[/QUOTE]

I forgot all about that injury. The ligament, right? Makes sense. It even makes sense why the Warriors want him with having the best injured big 3 out right now (Curry, Bogut and Deng). Haha.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I think that the Deng bang should play for England in the Olympics, F what management says.[/QUOTE]

While I agree with this, because representing your country when you are able to is important, look at Tony Parker and France after the incident between Drake and Chris Brown. He's following the Spurs orders and if it means he's out of the Olympics, then he's out. They're getting paid by the team, not the country. Either way, its a grey area for sure.

I really ragged on the Celtics in 08 and they won. Looking back Pierce/KG really deserved it all those years of getting so close and not having the support. The rest of the team deserved it as well
Wasnt it supposed to be the combo of Jamison and Pierce around 2002 that were supposed to take Boston all the way?

Rumor Williams wants to leave NJ for the Mavs...good idea, I dont think NJ can lure Howard up there and no offense to Nets fans, I dont see a playoff run next year either.

Didnt the Bulls give up a lot of great players in the late 90s/early 2000s that end up becoming decent? I keep thinking Jermaine ONeal and Brand for some reason...Portland has made plenty of wtf moves too.

[quote name='kube00']
Didnt the Bulls give up a lot of great players in the late 90s/early 2000s that end up becoming decent? I keep thinking Jermaine ONeal and Brand for some reason...Portland has made plenty of wtf moves too.[/QUOTE]

I remember them having brand and tyson chandler. Then when brand went to LAC he was like a superstar stud, then after that he came back down to earth. Didnt they also have eddie curry, lol. That was a big disappointment. He does have a championship ring though. :lol:

[quote name='advanced']Mind showing proof for your work here?[/quote]
I elaborated. Kevin Garnett was going to opt out his final year if he wasn't playing with a contender i.e. Boston's need to wrap up another all-star ala Allen. Boston made it happen. It still doesn't take away that they were the original Big 3 vs Miami's new Big 3.

You can't cherry pick a trade like this. Jefferson was a young big with potential and that's what the trade was focused on for the Timberwolves who were headed into a rebuild. Thats what you do when you're rebuilding, a la Portland with Wallace for a pick this past season. The others were assets that they could either try to bring up to their potential or that they could trade. The idea is that they got a quality young big man on his way up for a guy on his way down.
I wasn't cherry picking. I was just asking him a question because of his high opinions of the ex-Miami players.

P.S. Gerald Wallace doesn't play in Portland. It was a short stay. Portland gave Charlotte two first rounders, the Nets gave Portland one first rounder. Rebuilding, really, really? Wallace plans to opt out of his NJ contract. Please come back to Charlotte at a lower contract. Please.

[quote name='advanced']Again, they were on the downside, or going to be near there sooner than later, of their careers and were going to be on rebuilding teams. Teams that are rebuilding are looking for prospects and cap space. KG and Allen weren't in their plans. Everybody here is acting like KG, Pierce and Allen got together a few years prior and hashed all this out and planned their respective exits from their teams to team up. They didn't.

KG was traded for a young promising big man, an expiring contract, a few pieces and 2 first round draft picks (one of which was Minny's that would be a high pick due to the rebuilding and all).

Allen was traded for a solid backup point guard and the #5 pick in that years draft. Mind you, this was a Ray Allen who was coming off two ankle surgeries.

Note: Meanwhile, Cleveland and Toronto got trade exceptions and second round draft picks for LeBron and Bosh leaving. You know how every talking head says you should try to get something for them before they leave? That's why you do it.

What does all this mean? Simply put, how you value the pieces in any trade doesn't matter. The only people it matters to are the GM's of the respective teams involved in said movements. They must have valued the pieces to make the move. OKC has done pretty good for themselves since the trade, so it wasn't like they were screwed over or anything by it (unlike the Wolves).

Also, I, for one, don't hate LeBron because he signed with Miami, or even because he went to go play with two top level players. I hate LeBron due to the way he did it. It was classless. To go on national television to announce it was one thing [Wade and Bosh did it too], but to not tell the team you're leaving before hand and allowing them to hear the news with everyone else? It's classless. I know he was on a contract and that he fulfilled it, but that doesn't really matter to me. I've been in the same situation [a lot smaller contract, obviously, but on a contract nonetheless] at a younger age [20] and at the end of it, I let my employer know I wouldn't be seeking a new one and that I had found employment elsewhere. Why couldn't LeBron? Because he's a diva? Because he's "The King"?

Naw, that don't fly with me.

In current day news, the Bulls are reportedly thinking of trading Luol Deng or Joakim Noah for a lottery pick in the upcoming draft. Kind of nuts for a team that only bowed out of the playoffs due to an ACL tear.[/QUOTE]

most people forget that he actually gave up against the celtics in his final games with the cavs in '10...he made stupid turnovers....bad shots...lack of effort...etc

2nd...his comments following his decision...introduction....loss to the mavs....and threw out the season

the celtics even tho they beat LA in '08....i felt deserved it....i feel like people are BOWING down to the so called "KING" james....i know how good he is...i know his abilities are out of this world....but as he learned he needed help...(in more ways than one).....the amount of fouls the heat got was ridiculous....durant was never ever in foul trouble all season....(maybe threw out his career) but in the finals.....my god...that flop on a "foul" on derick fisher was amazing....he couldnt even look fisher in the eyes...

3rd...james is said to be as good as jordan.....really?? he cant even see kobe's ankles let alone jordans....james has to be the most overrated player ever...jordan, kobe, magic, and a few other players are the only ones that have my jaw drop and have my heart racing.....ive been a laker fan since birth....jordan made me a chicago bulls fan....and i dont see my self ever being a miami heat fan....mostly because everyone here in cali wears heat jersey's, hats, etc...and half of them dont even know anything about basketball....or sports

[quote name='lordopus99']I elaborated. Kevin Garnett was going to opt out his final year if he wasn't playing with a contender i.e. Boston's need to wrap up another all-star ala Allen. Boston made it happen. It still doesn't take away that they were the original Big 3 vs Miami's new Big 3.
[/QUOTE]

You made a direct statement that counters the truth though. You said that those players ASKED to play together on Pierce's team/the Celtics when they all did no such thing. KG may have wanted them to get "real", as you stated, but he didn't ask for them to get Allen specifically. He also didn't ask for it to be the Celtics. KG, Pierce, and Allen weren't close friends before they got together. Wade, LeBron and Bosh were. The Boston Big 3 didn't ask to play on the same team together, Danny Ainge went out and got them so they could play together. Allen could have been any All-Star caliber 2 guard and KG still would have said yes. Wade and Bosh were going to team up in Miami and then LeBron, knowing he still can, decides to go down and play too. Big difference.

I wasn't cherry picking. I was just asking him a question because of his high opinions of the ex-Miami players.

Fair enough, I misunderstood.

P.S. Gerald Wallace doesn't play in Portland. It was a short stay. Portland gave Charlotte two first rounders, the Nets gave Portland one first rounder. Rebuilding, really, really? Wallace plans to opt out of his NJ contract. Please come back to Charlotte at a lower contract. Please.

Portland was trying to contend. Then Roy retired/they amnestied his contract. They had acquired Wallace before with 2 first rounders and then shipped him off for a first rounder and an expiring contract (Okur). Two things a rebuilding team does. Portland was going to put Roy/Oden/Aldridge together. It didn't work out, obviously, so they went in a different direction. Wallace was acquired for that team and didn't fit with the theme of the new direction. If you don't want to call it a rebuild, I guess you could call it a reload?

As for the rest, I don't really care about it, so yeah, Wallace, go back to Charlotte. Go win 12 games next year. :D

[quote name='aleraiders']

3rd...james is said to be as good as jordan.....really?? he cant even see kobe's ankles let alone jordans....james has to be the most overrated player ever...jordan, kobe, magic, and a few other players are the only ones that have my jaw drop and have my heart racing.....ive been a laker fan since birth....jordan made me a chicago bulls fan....and i dont see my self ever being a miami heat fan....mostly because everyone here in cali wears heat jersey's, hats, etc...and half of them dont even know anything about basketball....or sports[/QUOTE]

Nobody wins titles by themselves. Has kobe ever carried a team to the NBA finals? After shaq and before pau, he couldnt even beat the suns......just saying

Anyone else tired of Dwight Howard? Now he says he wouldnt stay with houston if he was traded there. Well he was dumb in the first place to sign a 1 year deal with Orlando, just to flop his decision and now want out again. The guy seems like he cant make up his mind if he wants to stay or go. He even seems to flop on what teams he wants to be traded to. If i was orlando GM i would trade him ASAP if i had a good deal. The team isnt going to get any better with your top player flip flopping on if he wants to stay or be traded. I dont even think he is that good. He is super athletic and uses that to his advantages. But he doesnt really have a great post game. Seems like he is in a Lebron situation. He cant get it done cos the rest of his team always sucks. So i dont know why he just didnt become a FA this season and bolt. Just dont have a espn special about where you are going to sign. ;)

Also magic should go back to the 94-95 blue jerseys.

Houston just went and grabbed the 18th pick from Minn using Chase Budinger. They've got 14, 16 and 18 now. All for a player who doesn't want to sign an extension. Wow.

[quote name='perdition(troy']nope. He would have willed his team to another 2 ECF and would have been done there.[/QUOTE]

This sounds about right. The Celtics would have made the finals probably both years and LeBron would be ready to jump off a cliff. Going to Miami is going to pay off long-term. I mean, does anyone think that they won't make the finals every year for the next 3-4 years? Barring a trade or something crazy, there is no other team in the eastern conference that will be able to beat them in a 7 game series for quite some time. If LeBron wins 3 rings (meaning 5 career trips to the finals at least) he will end up Top 5 all-time mostly because of going to a place where he could win. He is a year younger than Jordan was when he won his first title so there is definitely time.

[quote name='Javery']He is a year younger than Jordan was when he won his first title so there is definitely time.[/QUOTE]

Plus I don't see Lebron retiring to go join a AAA baseball team either, so add 1 1/2 years to that total MJ is "older than" Lebron.

Why don't more athletes ring chase? Why isn't Steve Nash running to LA, Miami or somewhere. He said recently that he wants to be paid normally, not a championship discount.

Also, I have no idea why Garnett doesnt re sign for like 3 million with the celtics. Sure he will be making like 10 less than Pierce, but that discount would allow them to get Kaman and crawford and someone else. Someone who has made over 250 million like KG should be trading money for rings

[quote name='merchie89']Also, I have no idea why Garnett doesnt re sign for like 3 million with the celtics. Sure he will be making like 10 less than Pierce, but that discount would allow them to get Kaman and crawford and someone else. Someone who has made over 250 million like KG should be trading money for rings[/QUOTE]

I agree, even if they lose ray, they could sign a shooter. Then get some better depth if he took less money. They still have pierce and rondo there.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I agree, even if they lose ray, they could sign a shooter. Then get some better depth if he took less money. They still have pierce and rondo there.[/QUOTE]

250 million, and not sure if that includes the 5 mil per he gets after he retires as deferment. being born with athletic talent is WAY easier than winning the lottery!!!

[quote name='merchie89']250 million, and not sure if that includes the 5 mil per he gets after he retires as deferment. being born with athletic talent is WAY easier than winning the lottery!!![/QUOTE]

Your telling me! I want juwan howards spot on the bench making 1 mil a year. I could win a ring too! :lol:

[quote name='merchie89']Why don't more athletes ring chase? Why isn't Steve Nash running to LA, Miami or somewhere. He said recently that he wants to be paid normally, not a championship discount.

Also, I have no idea why Garnett doesnt re sign for like 3 million with the celtics. Sure he will be making like 10 less than Pierce, but that discount would allow them to get Kaman and crawford and someone else. Someone who has made over 250 million like KG should be trading money for rings[/QUOTE]

My guess is pride. KG was active in getting a better deal for the players in the CBA talks and I believe he thinks the players should be making a good chunk of change due to star power/whatnot.

I don't think he'll demand $25 mil or anything, but it'll be far above $3.

As for Ray Allen, I don't think he's gone just quite yet (even though ESPN would have you believe this, with him already on the Heat and in the parade and all). If he can get $15 mil for the next two seasons and stay in Boston, where his family has a home and lives, then I think he'll take it.

In other news, Brandon Roy is going to attempt a comeback. Hopefully he can do it. I've always liked him. He's already making that money from Portland due to the amnesty, so he won't demand too much of money. A lot of teams could be calling if they want to take a shot at that knee. A deeper team could play him sparingly and stash him on the bench until the playoffs if they wanted to.

[quote name='J7.']Do you think Lebron would've won a championship at this point if he had stayed in Cleveland?[/QUOTE]
If he had signed there earlier they would've had a much better opportunity. The whole league knew that LeBron was headed to free agency and nobody was going to commit to the Cavs if LeBron wasn't. Orlando's been in the same boat with Howard, who is going to go there just to see Howard leave?

They had the best record in the NBA for two consecutive seasons. They had some nice role players and they were in a position to move contracts like Ben Wallace in a sign+trade, unfortunately they ended up with guys like Szczerbiak and Shaq.

Houston has traded Dalembert and the 14th pick to the Bucks for the 12th pick.

Any thoughts on this? Depending on who's available at 12, I think the Magic might be interested in taking it if they think Dwight will just leave anyway.

[quote name='advanced']Houston has traded Dalembert and the 14th pick to the Bucks for the 12th pick.

Any thoughts on this? Depending on who's available at 12, I think the Magic might be interested in taking it if they think Dwight will just leave anyway.[/QUOTE]

As a bucks fan i love this trade. We only move back 2 spots and get a starting center who can block shots and rebound like crazy.... when he wants to, lol. But thats the kind of player we needed.

I dont think we draft a center now, i think we draft a SF, SG, or PF. Depends on who we can resign i guess. Both Ilyasova and Delfino would be good to resign.

[quote name='dafoomie']If he had signed there earlier they would've had a much better opportunity. The whole league knew that LeBron was headed to free agency and nobody was going to commit to the Cavs if LeBron wasn't. Orlando's been in the same boat with Howard, who is going to go there just to see Howard leave?[/QUOTE]
No one was going to Orlando because they couldn't offer them any money. Only way in was via trade. Orlando hasn't had much to trade that they haven't already dealt. Thanks Otis :cry:

With their second chance at him Dallas better take the local kid. I really hope they end up with PJIII and Green or Lamb.

Edit: Dallas really needs to hire someone to run their draft. They are so fucking terrible at it. If you are going to draft an unneeded guard they should have just kept the pick. They needed forwards and a center and they trade a center for a fucking guard.

[quote name='antlp89']Kings pick up Robinson. Consensus is that he's a good pick?[/QUOTE]

Damn good player. Cousins and Robinson should be fun to watch.

That Sullinger injury sounds way worse now.

I am really really happy with the Kings pick, I'll enjoy watching him for 1 season before they move to Seattle and I'm forced to become a Warriors fan :(

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I wish Indiana had taken Jones III or Ezeli over Miles fucking Plumlee.[/QUOTE]

No shit! I thought for sure we had Jones, my head almost exploded when they called Plumlee. Walsh left us in bad shape, cap wise and player wise. Looks like he's picking up where he left off.

[quote name='The 7th Number']As a bucks fan i love this trade. We only move back 2 spots and get a starting center who can block shots and rebound like crazy.... when he wants to, lol. But thats the kind of player we needed.

I dont think we draft a center now, i think we draft a SF, SG, or PF. Depends on who we can resign i guess. Both Ilyasova and Delfino would be good to resign.[/QUOTE]

Dalembert is okay a few years ago on the 76ers he was a monster. Maybe he'll be what the Bucks need. They do have Gooden/Jennings/ Ilyasova/Ellis so who knows maybe the playoffs next season.

Whaaaa? There's an actual Bucks fan here?! Glad to see I'm not alone! Anywho I'm not liking the pick by the Bucks. Henson is another PF we did not need. We have 6 of them now if you count Ersan(who we shouldn't resign but might) plus Henson looks like another Larry Sanders. I like Larry cuz of his fire but that might what gets him shipped out.
There has to be another plan for this...we have to trade big for small again. Can't think of any guard heavy teams that we can trade with but we have to find a bigger guard. Was hoping we could get Will Barton but that would've been too high to pick him at.

Id love for the bucks to trade someone for Corey Brewer. He is a good defensive player who could play at SF for us, and he can score the ball on occasion. In Denver he is pretty much buried under other players and probably wont get a ton of time.

Not sure how i feel about John Henson. But i think Lamb was a good pick because we could use a SG who can shoot off the bench. Hopefully we see more of Udoh this season, i think he can become better.

I like corey too. He almost beat my grizz by himself. Thing is who could we trade? They have enough bigs: koufos, mcgee, faried and mozgov. Maybe a future pick? Before we got sammy I wad thinking maybe we Could get one of their bigs

[quote name='panzerfaust']Backup PG for the Bulls is alright by me, truthfully I don't think we need much more to get a championship other than good insurance.[/QUOTE]

Another consistent scorer. Rip isn't the answer at SG.

I still am pissed that Dallas traded brewer to clear room for that waste if space odom. I know why they did it but in hindsight it was a terrible salary dump.

AP is saying that the Twolves were trying hard last night to work a deal involving getting rid of Derrick Williams to land Pau Gasol. :wall:

They say they're still going after him.

nbe1w.jpg

I can't get over Anthony Davis' eyebrow. FFS man, get that shit fixed! Every chick that ever has or ever will sleep with you does so specifically because of your money or your potential to earn money.

In related news, the CE of NBA 2k13 comes with a basketball among other stuff.

Go Celtics.

bread's done
Back