Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='slowdive21']

I feel like I still overpaid, but I got some uncommon games in the lot. Do 32X games work without a 32x? I left my number in case she finds more, but I haven't gotten a call back.

:bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Nope, 32X games will not work without the 32X.

I'd be happy to pay $20 for that lot. It has some good quality games in there + a boxed Genesis 1.

That genesis lot was a great find, especially in the box and everything. You would pay a lot more assembling that separately.

I went to a sale that advertised.... get this... 2000 games. Now if someone really was selling 2000 games this is something I want to see because that is truly A LOT of games. Of course when I get there everything is massively overpriced for what it is. I honestly wasn't expecting much from this sale. They had a PS2 with no cords or controllers for $45, SNES with no cords or controllers for $40 etc.. All of the games were garbage titles, couldn't find one title worth playing. BTW they only had about 300 games I would say.

I couldn't tell if they were hoarding all the clearance games like sears and kmart clearance games, (and if they were they weren't doing a very good job of it) or if they were just going around buying up all the cheap games from Gamestop, as a lot of the things had Gamestop stickers and they were titles that gamestop sells for a mere dollar or 2 like Big Bumpin' for the 360 and Powerdrome racing for the PS2. These people were smart enough to remove the cheaper GS stickers though unlike other houses I have seen who leave them on then mark up the games price, before they placed $5-$10 price tags on everything. There were some sealed games though so I don't know what is up with these people.

While I can't say $5 per game is bad, with the titles they had none were even worth paying $5 for.

Not much of anything today.

Got a Final Fantasy VIII guide - $1
My wife got a Willie Nelson cd for 25 cents
Simpsons season 6 - $2
The Life Aquatic criterion - $1
Sound X SMI1450 digital drum machine - $10

Lots of places advertizing games and systems, but everything was way over-priced. One place had a Genesis system and 8 games for $40.... I did not even make an offer. She also had a PS2 w/ 6 games and 2 guitars for $60. Another place had a Gameboy advance sp with about 12 games for $40. Oh well, it was really nice out today so it was fun anyway.

Just stopped by a place in my neighborhood, picked up Lego Rock Band and a wired guitar for the 360. My wireless gibson has been failing so it was nice to grab something to replace it. - $4

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PapaJoeBear']Not much of anything today.

Got a Final Fantasy VIII guide - $1
My wife got a Willie Nelson cd for 25 cents
Simpsons season 6 - $2
The Life Aquatic criterion - $1
Sound X SMI1450 digital drum machine - $10

Lots of places advertizing games and systems, but everything was way over-priced. One place had a Genesis system and 8 games for $40.... I did not even make an offer. She also had a PS2 w/ 6 games and 2 guitars for $60. Another place had a Gameboy advance sp with about 12 games for $40. Oh well, it was really nice out today so it was fun anyway.

Just stopped by a place in my neighborhood, picked up Lego Rock Band and a wired guitar for the 360. My wireless gibson has been failing so it was nice to grab something to replace it. - $4[/QUOTE]

when I see bundles too high, I try and buy some of the games at a reasonable price. sellers tend to think the console is what has value.

Xbox Stuff & NDS Lite With Zoo Tycoon DS (I At Least Checked And Know That The Halos & Star Wars Are Complete) - 10
GBA SP With 2 Games - 5
4 Other Misc Games - 1

The NDS Lite was marked 10, I offered 7 for that with Star KOTOR II which was marked a buck. I asked about the charger for the DS Lite and the kid said he would have to check back at home but when I stopped back he didn't get a chance to look but I decided to buy the Halo games when I stopped back. He instead offered me all of the Xbox games left for 2 and I ended up getting the controllers added in for another buck making the total 10. 10 OBO on the GBA to which I offered 5. The last four were from a indoor community deal that was set up like a church sale and were .25 each.

NES With Fire Hazzard AC Adaptor, A/V Cords (Not Pictured), 2 Controllers & 4 Games - 10
14 NES Games - 10

NES system was asking price. 14 Games the guy asked me to make an offer when I asked about the whole box, I said I was thinking 5-10 to which he shot back that he was thinking about 10 for the whole lot.

Got out about 10 minutes before 8 and was out till just after 10:30 on Friday and got to 20 sales total and was a bust.

First sale I went to was a house I've been to before but they were advertising an Atari with games but it started at 7 and even said that early birds were welcome. I half expected the system to be too expensive and still around but I over heard the guy mention to another guy that he sold an Atari. He seemed rather nice so I BSed with him for a minute or two and it had about 40 games and "a guy" bought it at 5:30 for $45 he even mentioned some younger kid that showed up with his parents not too long afterwards that was interested in it which surprised him since the kid was younger. This was the only video game item I was told about missing out on Friday.

The last sale of the day was a sale I went to a few years ago that already sold a DS system and had some cart only GBA games for $8 each. This year they were advertising a Game Boy system and PS2 stuff. They still had a some GBA carts but they were up to $10 each this year (one of the Fire Emblems the only good GBA game), a silver slim PS2 for $60, DS games (all card only & Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 the only good game I recall) for $15 each & PS2 games also for $15 each! The Game Boy (I'm guessing Advance) seemed to be gone and I think it had a price still out of either $30 or $60, can't remember. It wasen't clear if it was $15 for everything or each so I asked and couldn't leave the sale fast enough when it was $15 each on the games. I was considering buying the PS2 games if it was $15 for all (only interested in both of the Kingdom Hearts games) or at least trying to split them out, the rest was mostly sports games with some blah mixed in. This was the only overpriced stuff I saw for Friday.

Saturday I got out at about 7:45 and was out till about 12:15. Went to about 34 yardsales a pawn shop and a Salvation Army.

I started out going to 3 sales in town then headed out in the direction of the only advertised prospect on my list that started at 9 and mentioned "videogame items". I got to the sale about 10-15 early and didn't see anything video game related and asked about older video games and was told nothing of the likes oddly enough. While this didn't work out lady luck must have been watching out for me as on the way to the advertised sale I had some time to burn and ended up at a community sale at a township building that I forgot about (I didn't see it advertised and only heard, then forgot about it when I saw an advertisment on CL for a repeat sale I've already been to that also mentioned this community sale since it was right around the corner from it) which was set up like a flea market in the parking lot. I found both of my NES finds and the Xbox stuff & DS Lite here which was a nice change of pace as I've only ever found parting gifts (to different degrees) at these kinds of deals before. I actually over looked the NES games and a guy pointed them out to me after he saw me buying the NES. The kid from the flea market deal that I asked about the DS Lite charger was the only one selling at his stand and lived nearby but didn't get a chance to break away long enough to check at home for it, I'm also thinking maybe he was expecting some other family members to be around at some point that were still MIA up to that point in the morning.

Don't remember seeing anything overpriced today. One sale shortly after 9 a lady mentioned a "case" of games and checked with owner and it was sold, sounded like it might have been a small lot of old games. Another sale late in the day I was told about a "Nintendo" that belonged to another family member, didn't sound like this lady knew much about video games so it could have been anything for an NES to a GameCube or even another system.

[quote name='donut']when I see bundles too high, I try and buy some of the games at a reasonable price. sellers tend to think the console is what has value.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried to buy a few of the genesis and ps2 games, should would not split it out. I did not try on the gba stuff, and there was a few good games, but by that time in the day I was spent. There is always next weekend, and I still have a bunch of stuff I am trying to figure out what to do with from last weekend. :)

My mother goes out to garage sales every week, and as I am visiting my father I didn't get to go out today.

My mom did call me in the morning, wanting to see if I wanted some Wii games she found, but unfortunately I was asleep and the phone didn't wake me up. She ended up getting New Super Mario Bros. Wii for $5, but I doubt she'll let me buy that off her :(.

She did however, end up getting me a Super Nintendo System with 5 games for 10$. She said the games were 2 Mario games, a "gold zelda" and she couldn't remember the others. She may be confusing SNES for NES, not sure. But either way, it's a good deal.

I might be having a lowball soon with some of this stuff.

I'll update later when I know exactly what she got me.

Alright, ended up getting:

SNES Console with 2 Controllers

Zelda: A Link to The Past
Supar Mario World
Super Mario Allstars
Donkey Kong Country
The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare

All for 10 bucks. Really happy and can't wait to pick these up. Hopefully I can buy New Super Mario Bros Wii from my mom for a decent price :D.

Anyway, I'm stocking up for a lowball, I have these that will definitely be in the lowball.

Complete Boxed Sega Genesis 1st Edition
Super Nintendo System with 2 controllers
Fat PS2 with 2 controllers and memory card.
A decent grip of SNES games
Some Sega Saturn games.

Ahh I love big lots. They're so much fun to go through when you get home. Last week someone had the NES with a ton of games, and that Genesis lot from this week looks great! I got done yard saling in my town eary, so I decided to go a little further, ended up finding out a town 15 minutes away was having a community yard sale. IT WAS AWESOME! Found 2 systems I always wanted, but never thought I'd see in the wild. Later on I'll post some pics and check out what everyone else got.

Got 2 minty DS lives and an assortment of games today for 35$

IMAG0154.jpg

Both DSs sold for 62 on amazon, and Dragon Warrior 3 sold for 25. It was a good day! :D

EDIT: That gameboy Color was in with it too. Still has the battery door.

@Tsel: yeah, those handhelds are hard to come by. I've only gotten one GBA at a yard sale. Saw a DSi for $20 once, but it was picked up and bought on my way to do the same :/

Here are my favorite finds of the day :D

IMG_2969.jpg

The Virtual Boy had me excited. I always wanted one! The guy having the yard sale had a lot of game stuff. Just not well kept. The Saturn also came with an interact memory card (the main reason I wanted it). For everything in the pic I paid $35. $5/ea for the Dreamcast games. $15 for the Saturn, and $10 for the Virtual Boy. More than I'd wanted to spend on any of it, but I can't complain too much. It all works! Now, I just want to know what happened to aaaalllllll the other games... Isn't that usually the case?

This next one had me giddy
IMG_2971.jpg

This was at an old bank building. A company that does foreclosure cleanouts puts merchandise in it and has sales every couple weeks. This was my first time hearing about it, as it's farther than my usual yard-sailing takes me. Walking around I didn't see much that interested me. Then in the corner of a room. in a basket on the floor lay all the above. Seeing the Jaguar I swept it up. Cables were there. Controller was there. ...but no games :/ It turned out to be a bag sale day. So, everything in the pic was stuffed in to a grocery bag for $5! Looked and looked for games, nowhere to be found. There were parts to six different systems; Playstation, SNES, Genesis, N64, XBOX, and Jaguar. The lady said they had a lot of game stuff last week and the games may have went out with it... Isn't that usually the case :p

Whoever picked up that gameshark should look up prices on it!
I picked up a Gameshark 2 for PS2 a while back(I posted it here) for about $7 and it sold today for $70

[quote name='slowdive21']I think it was one of my better hauls this season. [/QUOTE]

I say fuck to all of you! :)

I could only go out on Sat. and I overpaid on a few things so it wasn't even close to one of my best outings.

I'll post some pics later but I can hardly call them "finds" after looking at what some of you guys pulled in.

A Saturn and a Jaguar are great to begin with but to get them a town over later in the day? WTF!

[quote name='schultzed']I say fuck to all of you! :)

I could only go out on Sat. and I overpaid on a few things so it wasn't even close to one of my best outings.

I'll post some pics later but I can hardly call them "finds" after looking at what some of you guys pulled in.

A Saturn and a Jaguar are great to begin with but to get them a town over later in the day? WTF![/QUOTE]

I will share my "tale of woe" I went out Saturday (which I don't normally do) to a nearby town (about 25 minutes away from my parents house) that advertised video games. -Actually there were 2 listed with videogames starting Saturday.- I left my house at 8:10 since they were 9 am start times. My Dad was originally going to go with me since I do not know the area very well, but he wasn't up yet, so I couldn't wait any longer.

I used google maps which steered me in the wrong direction (this is the second time GM has been wrong for me) it tried to send me down 1 way streets, long story short I got lost. I couldn't find the first sale I wanted to go to.

I hit the other sale and realized I know the owner. He used to own a comic shop in the area. I saw a shit ton of toys on the card and put some in a pile. I then glanced at the comics that were marked .50 each and he came over and told me 4/$1 for me if I find any I want.

Fast Forward. I am done with the comics and I have my pile. I then see some Street Fighter II Hasbro figures in a box with some other GI Joes (all of them are on the original cards). As I bend down to check prices some guy grabs all the Street fighter guys and asks the guy running the sale to hold them for him, because he needs to go get money. fuck

BTW they were $1 each. :censored: He got 9 of them.

To top it off: I later found out he went to the other sale (after he asked at my sale for the guy to hold the SF figures) and put the video games on hold at the second sale.

I'll admit I was bested by this guy on the second sale, but the SF figures should have been mine. (I already had 12 or so figures I was trying to keep in a pile that I had already pulled).

I woke up early today (6AM) still thinking about this. I should have said "I am taking all of these", but I had my usual brain lapse from being overwhelmed by cheap stuff.

I would like to blame my Dad since he would have been another set of hands and I wouldn't have gotten lost, but I really should have just spoken up.

I am still pissed, this one will not go away anytime soon.

[quote name='schultzed']Who said that?

I got MW2 for 360 (complete with nice disc) for $4 last week.[/QUOTE]

I got the 360 version for $6 not too long after it's release. Granted, it was at a Goodwill and not a yardsale, but I did dump it to amazon for close to $25.

But yeah, nothing surprises me at yardsales anymore. There's people that are more interested in just unloading stuff and people more interested in making money (and, of course, some middle ground).

[quote name='blindinglights']I hope you got the eye shroud and the stand so you can actually play the Virtual Boy...[/QUOTE]

It will function without those, it will just be uncomfortable to use without the eye cover. You can get replacement eye covers on eBay, though - the stand will be the hardest thing to replace.

The real thing to worry about with Virtual Boys is that they're notorious for breaking without any provocation. The soldering on the wires for the displays was apparently really poorly done, so it will break down even if the unit is properly cared for and stored.

[quote name='pyoobez']I got the 360 version for $6 not too long after it's release. Granted, it was at a Goodwill and not a yardsale, but I did dump it to amazon for close to $25.

But yeah, nothing surprises me at yardsales anymore. There's people that are more interested in just unloading stuff and people more interested in making money (and, of course, some middle ground).[/QUOTE]

I sold mine for $22 on Amazon last night . . . I wonder if I could have milked it for more? ;-)

I think that the basic logic runs like this: "I spent the money on this thing and the money is gone." Then you can go in two directions: "Now I want to maximize the value that is left in this thing." or "I'm just getting rid of this thing and the return doesn't matter very much."

This second stance explains how Gamestop continues to operate. People get lowballed at GS but most don't care--they've already said goodbye to the stuff and a little disappointment dosen't matter much.

Yesterday I picked up a DVD set of a TV show. I knew it was worth $10-14 but it was marked $8 . . . so I brought it up and said, "would you take $2 on this?" I figured we'd meet at $4 or better at $3, but she accepted the $2 offer. In this case, (it was 2 hours into their sale) just getting rid of something is better than bringing it back in.

I do wonder about the level of competition in different venues--I pretty much only find good game stuff in the first hour of the first day of any sale. I do pretty well at books but I have a few competitors who flip books. There seems to be less competition for DVDs and CDs.

[quote name='schultzed']I sold mine for $22 on Amazon last night . . . I wonder if I could have milked it for more? ;-)

I think that the basic logic runs like this: "I spent the money on this thing and the money is gone." Then you can go in two directions: "Now I want to maximize the value that is left in this thing." or "I'm just getting rid of this thing and the return doesn't matter very much."

This second stance explains how Gamestop continues to operate. People get lowballed at GS but most don't care--they've already said goodbye to the stuff and a little disappointment dosen't matter much.

Yesterday I picked up a DVD set of a TV show. I knew it was worth $10-14 but it was marked $8 . . . so I brought it up and said, "would you take $2 on this?" I figured we'd meet at $4 or better at $3, but she accepted the $2 offer. In this case, (it was 2 hours into their sale) just getting rid of something is better than bringing it back in.

I do wonder about the level of competition in different venues--I pretty much only find good game stuff in the first hour of the first day of any sale. I do pretty well at books but I have a few competitors who flip books. There seems to be less competition for DVDs and CDs.[/QUOTE]

When you go out looking for books, what do you normally keep an eye out for? THeres ALWAYS books at every yard sale around me, but I normally just walk right by them because I have no idea. THe one time I did delve into books, I got the whole Harry Potter series for 7$. They were hardcover and 10$ a piece to ship, so I kept them...

[quote name='baz8771']When you go out looking for books, what do you normally keep an eye out for? [/QUOTE]

I'll give a few basics but I don't want to bog down the thread. So, anyone who wants more info (like on scanners and book selling) shoot me a PM.

I walk right by most of the books at rummage sales myself . . . first off, most fiction is worthless (or worth very little) so you can basically skip it (from a flipping POV).

Textbooks are often a goldmine but only if they are current editions. But it is easy to dabble if you can get them cheap enough. So, buying a stack of 15 texts for a few bucks might help to get you going.

Then other non-fiction is good. Especially unusual looking titles or things that look like they may be used as supplements in college classes. Cookbooks are generally bad but philosophy titles are generally good.

[quote name='schultzed']I'll give a few basics but I don't want to bog down the thread. So, anyone who wants more info (like on scanners and book selling) shoot me a PM.

[/QUOTE]

That is quite awesome of you - PM'd

No eye cover, but it isn't too hard to see if I press my eyeballs against the lenses lol. Thanks for the book tips. Because of this thread I started buying text books when I see them cheap enough. Already got one that's worth $68, and another worth $50. I've also started picking up board games because of this thread. So, Thanks !!

This weekend continued the slump a little bit for me. The sales around my area were pretty much dead; all I found was a complete copy of Mario Kart Double Dash for $3. The rest of it was Xbox sports games and $30 Gamecubes. I can just blame this on the weather, right?

This weekend for sales was horrible. This one lady on Saturday advertised a dreamcast so I went by there. The system had a big sticker on it and was completely filthy. To make it worst it only came with 2 games (1 being fishing ) and she wanted $35 firm. Today I bought 8 PS2 games for $5 and when I get home they ALL are SCRATCHED :wall::wall::wall:

There was a yard sale on craigslist this weekend that listed video games/systems. I sent the seller an email asking what kinds of stuff they had. I get a reply saying Nintendo/Sega/etc... so I got up early and went and checked it out.

Apparently dude setup the night before and didn't cover it.....and it was all soaked (from heavy dew or light rain). He had a NES, 2x N64s and a Genesis model 2. His prices were decent, and he said he would be willing to take less.... but as wet as everything was, I was afraid to take a chance on it. Fortunately. the only games that were around were some sports Genesis games.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']
Apparently dude setup the night before and didn't cover it.....and it was all soaked (from heavy dew or light rain). [/QUOTE]

It breaks my heart when I see that. One of my GC Zelda promo discs was out in the rain before I got to the sale. I only paid $1 for it, but the cover art is ruined.

I didn't make it out of bed on Friday and woke up late on Saturday as well. But I hit a few sales. Here's what I found

Metroid Prime 3 and Killzone 2 guides - $1 total

Black PS2 slim console only - $2 (I was told it works, but it doesn't read the disc)

Warcraft III and The Frozen Throne - $.50 (I'm guessing this was originally part of the Battle Chest with the guide, but it was just the 2 discs in a jewel case.)

Small but excellent find for me today

Star Ocean Xbox 360 and Infinite undiscovery Xbox 360 both for $10 all complete with discs in excellent condition. Games were marked 8 each but since the sale was just closing up I got them down on the price! I will be playing both of these once I get the Xbox 360 this holiday season.

[quote name='baz8771']When you go out looking for books, what do you normally keep an eye out for? THeres ALWAYS books at every yard sale around me, but I normally just walk right by them because I have no idea. THe one time I did delve into books, I got the whole Harry Potter series for 7$. They were hardcover and 10$ a piece to ship, so I kept them...[/QUOTE]

Books ship media mail so you should only pay 1/4 of that price. Always use media mail for books.

Picked up a Cobalt/Black Ds Lite, with pokemon mystery dungeon: explorers of the sky for $15. Tried to get the other two pokemon ds game included but they said no. Good deal for sure; best pickup this weekend for me.

Insane prices on the DS Lite's guys, the only DS Lite I saw over the weekend was priced at $75 was beat up and didn't even include the charger!

Also, you don't want to be paying much for those Burger King Xbox360 Games, they are each 0.99 at Gamestop, if you want them, get them there. I have seen at least 2 places where these games cost $10 each at sales, so that is something to watch out for.

I'm not super happy with all of my purchases this weekend. I paid more than I wanted but I saw so little . . . so I think I was just ready to buy anything.

First up, I saw this PSP at $80 . . . its a Star Wars model with Darth Vader on the back:

It was marked $80, so instead of walking away, I said I'd be more interested at $40. "No, can't do that." Then I pitched $50 and instead of saying no . . . which would have ended it, the guy got his teen son. He wanted $70 . . . so we met at $60. I've wanted a cheap PSP and this isn't cheap enough . . . I'd also be happier if there was more I could sell off.

These were 2 for a $1:

Standard fare.

I paid $6 for this pair:

Monopoly is sealed but with the game out on current gen, it might be a tough flip to get top dollar for it.

Standard fare:

paid $1

I got excited to see a SNES with some games but it was marked $60.

This was inside a house with no shoppers and no seller. I probably could've picked up the box and walked out but instead, I went "hello, hello." This old lady comes out and I start to talk with her. I noticed that the games were pretty poor:

Why the fuck can't I pick up a decent bundle like some of you guys find? There isn't even a Mario!

So, I offer $10 and she says her son wants at least $40 (which changes to $30 after more talking). I'm looking at $20 but we just keep talking. Finally, I pull out a $20 and two singles (from a now empty pocket) and say $22 is the best I can do. She accepted and at this point gave me a hug (slightly weird). I think she felt like she had failed her son . . . ugh.

Anyway, I now wish I had left the bundle behind . . . I think she could've gotten at least $30 for it. And I felt like I overpaid (from a flipping POV).

At a typical baby-clothes sale, I spot a stack of games (hidden so that the drive-by shoppers would miss them). I bought these 3 first:

I knew that SWBII was a soild pickup and the DS game is sealed . . . I offered $3 for the DS game and a buck each on the others (not knowing what she had in mind). The $5 was accepted, so I looked at these:

The discs aren't bad but I hate buying games without art or instructions.
Look at the crappy Game Crazy cases:

Having broken the ice (I passed them up thinking they'd be $5-10 each), I offered .50 each. She countered that she'd stay at $1 a piece. We ended up at $3 for all 4.

Another sale where I pickup a couple DVDs and saw this sealed:

Paid $2

A sale where I bought a calculator, I was paying and asked about games. They only had this and I remembered that my daughter has the case and instructions (lost the game on vacation a year ago):

paid $2.

This nice unit was marked $7--really looks like it was played very, very little:

I worked on this woman for awhile but couldn't get $3, $4 or $5. I ended up paying $6.

[quote name='schultzed']

I got excited to see a SNES with some games but it was marked $60.

This was inside a house with no shoppers and no seller. I probably could've picked up the box and walked out but instead, I went "hello, hello." This old lady comes out and I start to talk with her. I noticed that the games were pretty poor:

Why the fuck can't I pick up a decent bundle like some of you guys find? There isn't even a Mario!

So, I offer $10 and she says her son wants at least $40 (which changes to $30 after more talking). I'm looking at $20 but we just keep talking. Finally, I pull out a $20 and two singles (from a now empty pocket) and say $22 is the best I can do. She accepted and at this point gave me a hug (slightly weird). I think she felt like she had failed her son . . . ugh.

Anyway, I now wish I had left the bundle behind . . . I think she could've gotten at least $30 for it. And I felt like I overpaid (from a flipping POV).[/QUOTE]

Ouch. If I paid that much I'd keep the system for playing or as a back-up, on the bright side what you have there looks pretty clean :bouncy:

[quote name='skiizim']At least the system doesn't look yellow from the pictures![/QUOTE]

Good point, the bottom is the same color as the top. One of the cleanest I've seen.

I would have paid $22 for that SNES bundle easily and without regret. At least around me, it is rare now to find an SNES in any shape at any yard sale. In fact, I've only seen one all season, and it was being bought as I got there. Heard of one or two being sold at sales before I got there as well. They go really, really quick. $22 bucks for a sparkly clean SNES, controllers, and a handful of commons in my opinion is a solid find. I'd probably have paid up to $30 for it (seeing as I'd like an extra and haven't been able to find one).

[quote name='Floopy']I would have paid $22 for that SNES bundle easily and without regret. At least around me, it is rare now to find an SNES in any shape at any yard sale. In fact, I've only seen one all season, and it was being bought as I got there. Heard of one or two being sold at sales before I got there as well. They go really, really quick. $22 bucks for a sparkly clean SNES, controllers, and a handful of commons in my opinion is a solid find. I'd probably have paid up to $30 for it (seeing as I'd like an extra and haven't been able to find one).[/QUOTE]

I agree Floopy. SNES bundles are very hard to find up my direction also. I regret passing on a nice clean console with 5 good games for $30 a few weeks ago.

Picked up Tomb Raider III and Syphon Filter for $1 each. At one sale this lady just randomly gave me about 30 older PC games. Nothing awesome, but some decent titles: SWAT 3, some Elder Scrolls, Pitfall, 1604 AD, Painkiller, Vomujin, Thief II.

Other than that. Not much else out here.

[quote name='Floopy']I would have paid $22 for that SNES bundle easily and without regret. At least around me, it is rare now to find an SNES in any shape at any yard sale. In fact, I've only seen one all season, and it was being bought as I got there. Heard of one or two being sold at sales before I got there as well. They go really, really quick. $22 bucks for a sparkly clean SNES, controllers, and a handful of commons in my opinion is a solid find. I'd probably have paid up to $30 for it (seeing as I'd like an extra and haven't been able to find one).[/QUOTE]

I agree. Its difficult to find a SNES that is still clean and white.

Anyway, I went to 8 yard sales and got nothing. Only 1 had games. The guy was selling all systems. They had a SNEs yellow console and wanted $50, PS3 Black Ops $35, 2 PS2 games for $8. I been reading everyone great finds, but I can never find any good deals. Maybe cause Im in the MD/VA/DC area. (Rockville) How does everyone find out about this yard sales? I use Craiglist, but found some from seeing signs driving by.

[quote name='schultzed']Good point, the bottom is the same color as the top. One of the cleanest I've seen.[/QUOTE]

If WI is anything like IL, you can put out a SNES for $30 at your own sale and it would be gone in minutes. I would keep that one though and dump one that doesn't look as nice.

Its really rare to even see a SNES around here, I have seen them about 3-4 times in the 12 years I have been yard sailing. The first one I bought myself, and the 2-3 others I have seen were always marked $30 and up just for the system. Finding one for $22 would be a real bargain. I have never seen one with good games. I have mentioned it before but it appears this was sega country and the genesis got most people with its marketing.

[quote name='jaydepps']Picked up Tomb Raider III and Syphon Filter for $1 each. At one sale this lady just randomly gave me about 30 older PC games. Nothing awesome, but some decent titles: SWAT 3, some Elder Scrolls, Pitfall, 1604 AD, Painkiller, Vomujin, Thief II.

Other than that. Not much else out here.[/QUOTE]

That reminds me; I've been wanting to play a SWAT 2 but for some reason they don't show up in my area.

You might not want to spend too much time on 1604 AD; I could be wrong but I found it extremely crash-prone (like crashing before you can get out of the tutorial and into the real game). Beware of trying to flip it...

(As an alternate former-budget game we recommend Imperialism 2)

Thanks for the comments . . . I feel a little better about the SNES pickup. Part of my reaction is just that the old lady seemed like she would be in "hot water" for letting it go so low. In retrospect, I bet the guy sold off his better games online.

My personal system was pretty clean but has gained a little yellowing in the past 5 years. Maybe this one will be my primary SNES.

This was a Sunday morning pickup:

CL ad that mentioned videogames. I was there first but the kid just brings out a case with a few games. I picked these for $1.

Funny, I hadn't seen any PS2 GTA games on Sat. (defeating my personal pledge that I could find one every weekend). Luckily, the kid had GTA VC (disc only) . . . so the streak stays alive at 3 weekends. :)

SNES grub is out there but I'm finding that most people don't want to give it up; I notice a pattern when talking to people like "I just started playing my Chrono Trigger / Mario RPG / Final Fantasy 3 again" and even when you do find people who want to sell they'll see their Secret of Mana in the mix and pull it out of there. Can't rightly blame them :bouncy:

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']SNES grub is out there but I'm finding that most people don't want to give it up; I notice a pattern when talking to people like "I just started playing my Chrono Trigger / Mario RPG / Final Fantasy 3 again" and even when you do find people who want to sell they'll see their Secret of Mana in the mix and pull it out of there. Can't rightly blame them :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

I don't blame them either, SNES might be a case of its so good I don't want to give it up for any amount of money.

[quote name='The Punisher']I agree. Its difficult to find a SNES that is still clean and white.

Anyway, I went to 8 yard sales and got nothing. Only 1 had games. The guy was selling all systems. They had a SNEs yellow console and wanted $50, PS3 Black Ops $35, 2 PS2 games for $8. I been reading everyone great finds, but I can never find any good deals. Maybe cause Im in the MD/VA/DC area. (Rockville) How does everyone find out about this yard sales? I use Craiglist, but found some from seeing signs driving by.[/QUOTE]

Last weekend most of the stuff I picked up came from yard sales posted on craigslist that mentioned video games. This weekend, all the places I went to that mentioned video games were trying to get way too much for them. The ds lite I found this weekend was just at a random sale I stopped at. I guess its just luck; I went to a sale that said they had PS1 games in the ad, so I figured they would have a bunch if they thought enough about it to include it in the ad. When I got there, she only had 5 ps1 games and 3 of them were sports titles.

[quote name='slowdive21']If WI is anything like IL, you can put out a SNES for $30 at your own sale and it would be gone in minutes.[/QUOTE]

Heard that.

[quote name='skiizim']At least the system doesn't look yellow from the pictures![/QUOTE]

it's actually nothing to do with the cleanliness of the owner - early SNES systems use a type of plastic that naturally yellows when exposed to oxygen. It's the same deal with old computers and stuff that yellow with age.

Later systems use a more resilient plastic that doesn't do that.

here's some more reading:
http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

They mention a solution that can remove the yellowing but it's some pretty hazardous stuff to mix up on your own so use caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back