Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='N3UROP0D']Purple N64 w/ 1 grey controller + 1 third party controller and power adapter
Missing the expansion slot cover and no video cable either. Grumble grumble.[/QUOTE]

If your keeping the N64:
1. If that's the Performance controller, be careful with the stick. I've had 2 of those that broke on me.
2. If you can't find and a/v cables for it, I've seen a few Radio Shacks that have an RF switch that works on all the PS3/2/1, Xbox/360, Wii, and Cube/N64/SNES for $8

Had a lame weekend myself. Chased a lot of signs for sales that were from last week. :( Did not plan out places to go on CL this week; not going to do that again. Only things I got were:

Donkey Kong 64 - $1 - cartridge only. Not a bad find.

Descendants of Darkness DVD collection - $3 - Some 4 disc anime series. Picked it up without knowing anything about it. Judging by amazon prices it was was a good guess.

PS1 system with 2 controllers and 8 disc only games - $10 - paid way too much for this. It was my last stop and I was a bit frazzled by all the lame stops today. I think I could have offered $5 and he would have taken it. I don't have a PS1 or PS2, so I've been wanting one so I can test stuff I pickup. Started looking through the discs, they are:

Syphon Filter 2 disc 1
WarGames Defcon 1
Command and Conquer Red Alert disc 1
Command and Conquer Red Alert Retaliation disc 1
Army Men
Nascar 99
Saga Frontier
Crash Bandicoot 2

Cool to get Saga Frontier. Used to have a guide book for the game ages ago but lost it. Have not played the game since it first came out.

Might not go out next weekend. Should be some good sales towards the end of the month though.

This weekend was the annual "Bargains Galore on 64" in central and northwest Arkansas. It's a 160 mile long hwy that runs from the Oklahoma border into the central part of the state. My wife and I usually start at one end and go as far as we can before we're too exhausted to go on. Alas, this year my wife came down sick the day before so I couldn't go as far as I would have liked. But I had some good finds.

DSC01735.jpg

$10 for all. It came packaged in the carrying case below. Anyone have any idea if that case is worth anything? Also, as you can see, the AC adapter and RF switch are covered in white paint. Anyone have a good method for cleaning that up? I've tried Magic Eraser which didn't do much.

DSC01745.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

$2. The kid was asking $10 and when I said I wouldn't pay more than $2 for it, he began to talk himself down. First he said $7, then $5, then $3 and finally agreed to $2. I love it when they do my bargaining for me. :)

DSC01732.jpg

$1 for all. These were at different sales for $.50 each.

DSC01728.jpg

$15 for all. It also came with Gradius III which isn't pictured. The start button on the controller isn't very responsive and there are several spots on the cord where the inner wires are showing so I'll toss that.

The Game Saver+ is pretty cool. It allows you to save mid game by pushing select + L and then reload your saved state with select + R. Supposedly you can get some graphics/sound glitches when using it, but the state save feature is pretty handy.

DSC01748.jpg

$5. Unfortunately, the game gear only gives me a flashing black and white screen when I turn it on.

And the find of the week....

DSC01742.jpg

$3. Funny story on this one. The guy was an obvious re-seller. He had tons of games and several systems for sale in glass cases. I saw X3 and grabbed it immediately and also went for a boxed collector's edition of Ocarina of Time. He walked over and told me $75 for OoT because it's super rare and goes for a lot on eBay. Then he proceeded to tell me about his $150 SNES and N64 bundles with several mario games. So, fearing the worst, I asked how much for Mega Man X3. He said $5. (!!!) I countered with $3 which was accepted. Morale of the story: Always do your research. :)

It is fun to poke holes in the the pricing structure of yard sale resellers. They tend to have some really good stuff, and know the true value of about 98% of that stuff. But if you find that 2% somehow, you can make a nice score. Congrats on your find; your seller should study up.

No luck this weekend. Went to hit up two I saw Friday that looked like old people sales. One was over and the other had free advertised for a bunch of stuff under a tree. Stuffed all the candles they had into a Florida vacation bag, grabbed an animal cage and a pair of new flag pole brackets and called it a day.

Gonna take me awhile to get my Sat. pics up (not much to report anyway).

Friday was pretty much a bust with a lot of wasted time.

I picked Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES) for .25 . . . not the Ultimate one :whistle2:( It was the only game at a sale. One crappy game sitting on a table.

At another sale that featured a big table of crappy DVDs, I asked about games and the woman said she sold an SNES with about 13 games on Thurs . . . DOH! I couldn't go out on Thur!

I asked about games at another sale and this guy brings out a 2600 with about 25 games (I'll pic it later) but no hookups or controllers. He comes out later (I wasted about 20 mins. at this sale) with a box that has a bunch of 2600 controllers and all of them have the cords cut off . . . WTF. Anyway, I did pick up 2 nice DVDs (Dracula legacy and Frankenstein legacy), a miss on another DVD and a DVD set missing a disc (he couldn't find this either) . . . and Golden Axe (sega) complete. Anyway, I gave the guy $9 total ($5 for the Atari). I would've gone less but he looked really poor and was working pretty hard.

At the last sale of the day, this guy had a few PS2 games--could've picked up GTA VC for $1 :)-- and he goes in and finds a few more 360 duds. Then we talk about SNES and he says he has some games but after 10 min. he comes out empty handed. He takes my number but I doubt he'll call. I forgot to cruise back to this house on Sat. Just a crappy outing.

fuck

I think I'm done asking about videogames at sales--I'll buy them if I see them but not ask. I'm just not having any luck and lots of heartbreak.

On Sat. I spotted a PS2 dance mat and asked about other games. Woman says she has some Wii games and wants to get rid of them but "I didn't bring them here (her friend's house) . . . I'll have them tomorrow." "What time?" She tells me 8 am. So, I head over (10 min. drive) at 8 am today. "My brother brought them and we sold them all yesterday afternoon." fuck Sounds like she had Mario Kart and some other good titles.

Why do I even bother?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll grab a couple of those. It's just irritating because the SNES, N64, and GC all use the same video yet it seems every time I find one, the cable's missing. Which can make it kinda difficult to sell the darn things.

Okay, this is from the last two weeks.

DSC04784.jpg

DSC04785.jpg

DSC04786.jpg

DSC04787.jpg

This, plus a couple random cords, for $35, talked down from her first offer of $50. My first Atari Jaguar.

DSC04788.jpg

$5 for all, they were trying to give it away.

DSC04790.jpg

$10..if I remember correctly. Has all cords.

DSC04792.jpg

$3, plus a PS1 not shown.

DSC04793.jpg

From 3 sales. Mario Kart was $5, Animal Crossing was $1, and the 5 DS games up top were $5.

DSC04794.jpg

DSC04796.jpg

$31, 68 games.

001.jpg

Bell & Howell slide Projector from the 60's still works and bulbs still good ($1)
Dino Stalker PS2, manual and cd fine ($1)
Summoner 2 PS2, manual and cd fine ($1)
The Lost World Jurassic Park PS1, manual and cd fine ($1)
Weatheralert weather forecaster ($1)
Intellivision in box near mint ($20)

Picked up the following:
Mario 64, Super smash bros, Zelda, Jet Force, Banjo, and Donkey Kong - All for $10
Wii - $1 (need to replace the laser, its unable to read disc)
DS games - 50 cents and 10 cents

Not in picture
Halo 2 collector's edition - $2
Monopoly nintendo edition - $2

IMG_2740.jpg

Finally had the chance to hit a couple yard sales yesterday morning. I only had one find, and it seems that the screen is not working properly (have to look at it from a severe angle)... But, I only paid $1, so if it doesnt end up working, oh well

Last edited by a moderator:
$.10 for Nintendogs? Jealous. Those go for a bit still don't they? I mean, I know the one I picked up for $1 is worth $7 trade at GameStop.

Ia appreciate the link, but the store I sell to doesn't care so I don't have to bother with it. If I ever start selling on Amazon, though...

And I haven't washed them yet, but I will be changing them right before I go to bed. lol

[quote name='lmz00']I hope you washed your sheets after that photo shoot. ;)[/QUOTE]

Or, he could just make love to 'em . . . afterall he did pick up a Jaguar and Mario RPG =P~

And that was actually the second copy of Mario RPG I've found in about two months.

Are Jaguars worth anything? Kinda want to know before I take it into the store.

[quote name='Obiwan456']
Are Jaguars worth anything? [/QUOTE]

I don't know what they are worth, I just know that they are more interesting than anything I've found for quite awhile.

Well I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I take it in. I took a chance, because I have no idea and was just interested in seeing what it's worth...and being able to say that I owned a Jaguar. In fact, I think I'll try it out tonight so I can say I've played a Jaguar.

For these reasons I was ready to buy a Commodore 64 once. Only found it once since I started. I asked and he brought it out, but unfortunately, when I ask how much his wife says she's going in to look it up on eBay. I didn't even stay to see what she came up with.

As for that Jaguar, you might use the same strategy: Look it up on Ebay and see what they're going for. I can't think of a better way to determine its value.

Looks like a good $100 on Amazon (2 controllers and hookups) . . . I guess you'd get more like $50 in a shop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1313369784&sr=8-1&condition=used

probably go higher in December.

That reminds me that I have a Commodore 64 (in box). I picked it up at a thrift 6 months ago (about $10) . . . I should test it out and get it listed.

Also looked up on ebay and $100 seems to be a good goal (might be more with the games).

If I had your setup to sell, (provided it works) I put the system with one controller on Amazon for $99. Then I'd list each game and the second controller for at least $15 each.

Don't be too impressed with the Game Genie, the cover and maybe a few pages of the codebook are ripped off, and other than that it's just the cartridge, and I have no idea if there was anything else.

Hay, anyone know if a 16 year old can sell on Amazon without going through my parents?

Over the last 2 weeks this is what I have gotten at different yard sales.

$50 - 20GB Xbox 360 (no controllers but had the cords) with Kinect plus Kinect Adventures, Tekken 6, and Arcade Compliation Disc

$7 - PS1 Slim Model with 10 games and 4 controllers and 4 memory cards

[quote name='rickyff7']I just pick up dreamcast for $10 but i have dreamcast already. But i want to ask, should i keep the Manufactured 1999 or 2000?[/QUOTE]
Pre-2000 models can play burned games without any modification whatsoever, so I'd hold on to that one if you want to play stuff you don't think you'll find any time soon. 2000 models added a lockout.

Also geez 50 bucks for a 360 and a kinect D:

[quote name='theking20']Keep the 2000 and sell the 1999 to me :D

Serious answer, I'd say keep the 1999, could be a 9/9/99 launch model[/QUOTE]

Got August 1999

[quote name='aptanor']Pre-2000 models can play burned games without any modification whatsoever, so I'd hold on to that one if you want to play stuff you don't think you'll find any time soon. 2000 models added a lockout.

Also geez 50 bucks for a 360 and a kinect D:[/QUOTE]

Oooh, no wonder it stop playing burned cd. i was playing sonic game yesterday with 2000 model but it stop playing today. Cd lockout?, That pretty smart.

[quote name='aptanor']Pre-2000 models can play burned games without any modification whatsoever, so I'd hold on to that one if you want to play stuff you don't think you'll find any time soon. 2000 models added a lockout.
[/QUOTE]

I did not know this. I will have to look at my dreamcasts. Thanks for the info!

Nice finds guys!

My only find this weekend: Model 1 Genesis with attached model 1 Sega CD.

I really don't have any space or use for it though, so I was wondering if anyone on CAG wanted it? I tested it earlier today and the Genesis works and the Sega CD turns on, but its disc tray does not open. PM me if you're interested because I'll consider all reasonable offers. I just know it will end up sitting in our basement collecting dust and I'd rather give it to someone who will get some use out of it :)

Damn, I was going to post pictures but I screwed up a little with my memory card and we're going to see the red-hot Brewers tonite--running out of time. I'll have to post tomorrow.

[/QUOTE]

For this same reason, they are also the only models that play the homebrew games and emulators.

[quote name='ex_eBay_buyer']My only find this weekend: Model 1 Genesis with attached model 1 Sega CD.

I really don't have any space or use for it though, so I was wondering if anyone on CAG wanted it? I tested it earlier today and the Genesis works and the Sega CD turns on, but its disc tray does not open. PM me if you're interested because I'll consider all reasonable offers. I just know it will end up sitting in our basement collecting dust and I'd rather give it to someone who will get some use out of it :)[/QUOTE]
Anything in particular you're looking for? Trade? Paypal?

Well, I sold almost everything except the Jaguar, and I got $99 cash from a local store and $150 credit from Game Stop, so I'm happy. Especially since I can still sell the Jaguar online. The guy at the local store actually said nothing Jaguar is in their system, so if they took it I would get next to nothing for it, but he know there are quite a few people that want it and it's kinda rare so I should sell it online.

[quote name='slowdive21']I did not know this. I will have to look at my dreamcasts. Thanks for the info!

Nice finds guys![/QUOTE]
Yer. The really simple way to tell is to look at the number on the underside in the corner. If it's a 1 in a little circle it's pre-2000, a 2 and it's a post-2000.

I found this game over the weekend and paid $2.

World of Dragon Warrior: Torneko: The Last Hope
1200515782-00.jpg

Game came with the manual and disc as well as the original case, but the back insert was missing (doh!)

They people selling the stuff had a few other decend game, but at a high price.
Halo Wars: $15
Okage $10
Tramu Center (Wii) $20

I passed and figured they might sellt them later for cheap!

This past weekend:

NES system, no accessories (x2)
NES Mega Man 3, SMB/DH, $3 for all

N64 Bomberman 64
NES Star Wars
NES Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back, $9 for all

Game Boy Micro, $2
GBA Sword of Mana, $3

GBA Pokemon FireRed Version
DS Mario Party DS
DS Mario Kart DS (all missing cartridge), $2.50 for all

SNES A.S.P.
SNES Super Mario Kart
SNES Aladdin
SNES controller, $3 for all

360 Alone in the Dark (complete), $4
NES Solstice, $1
GEN Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck (no manual), $1
PS2 Atelier Iris (complete), $5
Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl (complete), $7
PSX Resident Evil Director's Cut (complete), $1

Sega Saturn, controller, power cable, RF unit
SAT Netlink Browser disc V2
N64 controller
Gamecube controller
Genesis SG-8 controller, $10 for all

Animal Crossing poster, 50¢
Game Boy/Game Boy Color GameShark, $2
N64 Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, $3

Favorite finds this week are the Pokemon FireRed box and manual (which now completes my copy), Aladdin for the SNES, and the SG-8 controller, which looks awesome and feels just like a Sega-branded 3-button.

I bought A.S.P. ("Air Strike Patrol") hoping it might be a shooter, but it turned out to be a strange isometric-view Jungle Strike-esque game. I played it for a bit, and it uses some interesting ideas, but it didn't captivate me for very long. I was practically pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to start the game; the intro menu is confusing, to say the least.

I left my phone number with the family who sold me the two NES consoles and games. Supposedly, they have all of the accessories, as well as a few more games, somewhere, and said they'd call when they found them. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed, but if they do find them, I'm glad they'll give them to me instead of just throwing them out.

This was my Friday 2600 (something like 40 games but no hookups or controllers):

$4

Offered $5, counter was $7 . . . paid $6

This sale sucked. I asked about games and this woman brings out a box with junky PC games and some N64 manuals. I grabbed this one and passed on a couple others that I didn't see much purpose in having. I did see a manual for Black Ops but I didn't grab it . . . not sure why.

paid .25.
So, I asked "are there N64 or other videogames" . . . now hoping to see a bunch of stuff. "My son has some games but I'm not sure about selling them . . . check back later." Of course, I waste time doubling back later and no-go. When I saw the Black Ops instructions, I thought "I got that $10 copy last week, so my chances of finding one without a manual anytime soon are very low . . ."

A half-hour later:

This sale had some overpriced so-so 360 games but I saw disc-only Black Ops (marked $20) and pitched $5 for it . . . offer accepted. Then I got the disc only RS2 for $2. Probably should've lowballed on the other 360 games but I just moved on. Of course later when I stopped at the sale with the BO instructions . . . they were gone. BO is pretty scuffed up but I've cleaned it up pretty well with my Simo.

This sale had a few junky games (a couple N64 sports titles and these disc only GC games) which of course led me to believe that the good stuff was already picked . . . why do I bother?

As I went to pay ($1 each for SSB and AC) I spot a little pile of games . . . "what about those?" "A woman's coming back for them." But one of the seller's thinks this is BS. "Would you sell me this one for a buck?" (Sonic--the only good game) . . . a little hesitation but then "sure." Probably my second biggest dick move at a rummage sale in the past year.

[quote name='allyourblood']This past weekend:

Game Boy Micro, $2

[/QUOTE]

So that's what micros look like. The one I bought for $5 at a sale (a year or two ago) is still factory sealed. :D

Really nice stuff!

[quote name='schultzed']
This sale sucked. I asked about games and this woman brings out a box with junky PC games and some N64 manuals. I grabbed this one and passed on a couple others that I didn't see much purpose in having. I did see a manual for Black Ops but I didn't grab it . . . not sure why.

paid .25.
So, I asked "are there N64 or other videogames" . . . now hoping to see a bunch of stuff. "My son has some games but I'm not sure about selling them . . . check back later." Of course, I waste time doubling back later and no-go. When I saw the Black Ops instructions, I thought "I got that $10 copy last week, so my chances of finding one without a manual anytime soon are very low . . ."[/QUOTE]

Good call passing on that Black Ops manual; it's too new to even think about people tossing out their cases. As for n64 and SNES manuals though, these can be lucrative to pick up in bulk if you can get them for next to nothing. If it were me I'd price an Ocarina of Time manual somewhere between $3-5 depending on condition. Next time you might want to make an offer for the whole stack--even if some of the more common ones are only $1-$2 each it all adds up (as in when you have enough to make a $20 order and the buyer pays shipping)

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Good call passing on that Black Ops manual; it's too new to even think about people tossing out their cases. As for n64 and SNES manuals though, these can be lucrative to pick up in bulk if you can get them for next to nothing. If it were me I'd price an Ocarina of Time manual somewhere between $3-5 depending on condition. Next time you might want to make an offer for the whole stack--even if some of the more common ones are only $1-$2 each it all adds up (as in when you have enough to make a $20 order and the buyer pays shipping)[/QUOTE]

Where is the best place for selling manuals? I've got quite a few extras I could offload. I really hadn't thought about it until I read this...

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Good call passing on that Black Ops manual[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but did you see that I found a disc-only copy of the game for $5 about a half-hour later (which I could have wed it to) . . . Doh!
There was an F-Zero manual and the other was a sports title--in retrospect, I should have got all of them. I picked up the Zelda because I can put it with a cart for sale.

[quote name='slowdive21']So that's what micros look like. The one I bought for $5 at a sale (a year or two ago) is still factory sealed. :D

Really nice stuff![/QUOTE]

Thanks. Yeah, it's my third Micro, so far. My first, interestingly enough, was also new, and cost me $1.50 (well, plus a couple bucks): I bought 5 (used, complete) PSP games a few years ago, back when they were all still selling for full price, for 50 cents each! I traded three of them here to a CAG for his new Game Boy Micro. Considering shipping for the three games ran me about 3 or 4 bucks, I guess you could say my first new GBM also cost $5!

My other one is in about the same condition as this one and I've used it off and on for about 2 years now; it's my favorite GBA system, aside from the GB Player on Gamecube. So small, yet so awesome.

[quote name='schultzed']Nice pickup on the Micro. I've wanted one just to play Warioware Twisted . . . it just seems like it would be perfect.

The Brewers won another in a fun game which included 4 double plays and a beautiful triple play.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18042015&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_18042015&v=3[/QUOTE]

are you a milwaukee guy shultzed?

I'm in new berlin and I've been interested in doing some yard sales lately. Went around brookfield last weekend and that was kind of a waste. Lots of rich people thinking their garbage was worth gold.

[quote name='jer7583']are you a milwaukee guy schultzed?
[/QUOTE]

I'm a Wisconsin guy. Near Milwaukee but not close to you. I'll PM you with my top-secret location :)

Keep plugging away, you'll find some stuff if you're determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back