Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
heads up for those looking for those SNES mini units - they were apparently very commonly counterfeited back then.

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=counterfeit_snes

I actually saw the post in this thread and thought I kind of want one of those, they look cool. I'll know to pay close attention to details on the unit now. Also it's disappointing that there's no S-Video output unless you mod it.

Post 1

Post 2

Sorry. Still catching up. No "witty" stories today ;)

This is an all toys post.

FREE MISC.

I can tell the horse is at least 50 years old, but I can't identify it. It is injection molded and the plastic is similar to old Marx stuff. It is larger than any Marx release that I am aware of and there are no markings on it. It does have two 'balls' (little dots from the mold assembly) though

f1a368cb.jpg

$1 total. Vintage "Muscles Tyrone" bank, Transformer, Krang, etc. Someone is trying to sell the Muscles Tyrone bank for $95. :bouncy:

733d2619.jpg

Everything in the rest of this post are form the same sale. All items were half of what is marked since they were closing. I think it was something like $5.75 total.

Magnetix set $1, Spiderman Puzzle $1, Spiderman Mega Bloks sets SEALED
.50 each

091fd3b5.jpg
cf7cd603.jpg
46c6536b.jpg

LEGO Duplo box and "grass" .50

5542f72d.jpg

Awesomo mini, 3 lightsabers, batman, and 6 star wars galactic heroes $1.25 for everything.

6db7df06.jpg
de74a968.jpg

SEALED LEGO sets (except for Star Wars) Bill Cosby VHS also sealed (Someone is trying to sell it for $99 on amazon :dunce:) $2.50 total

The Star Wars set has some bonus mini figs in it!

9b6f830e.jpg
464d3b3b.jpg

2 more posts to go! :bouncy:

I'm going to try to get my pics later today (could be Mon.).

We went to a Packer preseason game (in Green Bay) so I was cut short on Friday and away from home on Saturday (stayed at my inlaws lake house). But on Sat. I hit a villiage-wide community sale (a town of 1500 people well north of Milwaukee) and I have to say that it was very bleak. I must've stopped at 40 sales and not only did I see very little gaming stuff but I also so almost nothing worth flipping. I was way below my normal ratio of stuff bought per sale.

This gave me some extra sympathy for some of you CAGers who are out there slugging away and finding very little. I think that (for the most part) you will find more stuff in urban/suburban areas than in small town/rural ones.

OK, quick question. I picked up an Xbox lot this weekend, and one of the games included JSRF. This particular copy was a BB rental, and I'd like to remove any indication it was a rental. The disk itself has the rental code on it, however, it seems as if it has been "cleared" over and it doesn't just peel off. Is there any way to remove the the label and "clear" paint without damaging the disc?

Did not go out today, but while playing around on CL saw an add that mentioned PS2 rpgs along with comics and such. $5 per game. Got out there, and he had a box full of anime dvds and some ps2 games. He said he would do 3 for $10. I wound up getting 6 for $15, which was really nice of him. Picked up Romancing Saga, Shadow of the Colossus, Star Ocean, Ephemeral Fantasia, Rogue Galaxy, and Makai Kingdom. All in their cases, but all missing their manuals.

Friday stuff . . . not great but so much better than Sat.:

This was very early:

I don't remember the breakdown but the games were pretty low to begin . . . I got the whole group for $12.

This was fun. Two stacks of NES games (nothing fabulous) marked .25 each:

Paid $2 for all 10.

Misc. from 6 different sales:

Paid $5 for the PS3 controller -- haven't tested it yet
$2 for SH2 (no manual)
$2 for Poke (no manual)
.75 for GB Color (makes 3 this weekend and all without battery covers . . . gotta order some on fleabay)
MMX command was .50
.25 for the Jedi Knight expansion

I think i had my worst weekend in a while. Sunday was kind of overcast and alittle bit rainy outside so that day was shot. Stopped by about 20 different yard sales on saturday, and didn't find much. When people want 15 bucks for 2 year old soccer games on the 360, you know it's not going to go well. Picked up a few snow globes i'll be able to flip for alittle money, but other than that nothing this weekend. Hopefully next weekend will be better...

[quote name='TiKi2']
Any of you buy gold and silver at sales?

[/QUOTE]

I do, but you have to be extremely careful since it's not so easy to just carry around an assay test kit, plus with the value of gold and silver virtually no one will sell it at garage/yard sales and if they do, they will be asking ridiculous amounts. Very rarely do you find mass collectible stuff (of actual value, at least) at yard sales such as stamps, coins, real jewelery fine art antiques books etc. but you should always keep your eyes open, and ask. I have a list that I go through, starting with video games, board games, toys especially Legos or older toys, comics, books, "movies" etc.

For gold and silver, the best thing to do I've found is first check if they have jewelery, if not just ask if they have any costume jewelery and sometimes you will find sterling silver or gold mixed in there. You really have to know your stuff though.

I know some people who specialize in vintage clothing, which can also net a fortune especially here in LA. $.25, $.50 or $1.00 for a dress or handbag and it's some designer crap that you can sell online or to a vintage/consignment shop for hundreds maybe even more.

LA is great because of the film industry and so much $$$ in this town, you can find all sorts of film and TV props as well as just about anything. Unfortunately, most people know or think they know the values of their items so they often ask way too much. But the city is so damn big it's impossible to cover more than a small section, so I stick with West LA and its various affluent sections and areas that surround them. I hit a couple dozen sales over the course of a couple of hours yesterday and came up with the following at the first sale.

$5 total:

Advertised on craigslist as moving sale with games specifically N64 PS2 and Nintendo NES, got there a little before 8 am as they were still setting up, cherry picked the games shown. They also had a beat up N64, beat up fat PS2, and a beat up NES but kept the NES and wanted $50 total for the two other systems. Asked how much they wanted for the games, they said what about $12 or $15? I said I usually pay $.50 or so for loose cart games, and offered $5 which they accepted. I also asked if they had any more games or anything on my list, they didn't but the guy found the lone GBA game in another box while pulling out more stuff for the sale.

He spent a few minutes looking for other "gameboy" games and systems but couldn't find any, so they threw it in.

Picture037.jpg

[quote name='ROB64']It all depends on your relationship with the employees. One guy at the gamestop near me usually doesn't mind (if the manager isn't around) if I grab a few club nintendo codes out of the used games as long as I buy something. :p[/QUOTE]

This is why you should always be good to the people handling your money. It's not even just because they get a lot of crap from other people. If you're cool with them, they'll help you out.

[quote name='karkyco']I do, but you have to be extremely careful since it's not so easy to just carry around an assay test kit, plus with the value of gold and silver virtually no one will sell it at garage/yard sales and if they do, they will be asking ridiculous amounts. Very rarely do you find mass collectible stuff (of actual value, at least) at yard sales such as stamps, coins, real jewelery fine art antiques books etc. but you should always keep your eyes open, and ask. I have a list that I go through, starting with video games, board games, toys especially Legos or older toys, comics, books, "movies" etc.

For gold and silver, the best thing to do I've found is first check if they have jewelery, if not just ask if they have any costume jewelery and sometimes you will find sterling silver or gold mixed in there. You really have to know your stuff though.[/QUOTE]

Most of what I see is in the possession of coin dealers; makes me wish I'd bought more silver eagles back when they were selling around $20-25.

[quote name='Tsel']Wtf a 360 for $10? Does it work?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Obiwan456']Does that 360 work? If so that's an amazing deal.[/QUOTE]

I tried it out today and didn't have any problems, yet at least (had it on for about 15 minutes). IIRC it's manufacture date was 6-14-06.

While I'm at it........

The broken SNES from 8-13 worked. Only problem was the one SNES controller's start button didn't work at all and had a stripped screw so I didn't take it apart to clean it.

The NES from this past Friday that I was given as "parts" worked with some issues, the power button was a bit touchy but not bad - the power would cut out sometimes even when on if you didn't have the magic touch when turning it on (for the lack of a better term here) and the RF adaptor was touchy with getting a picture and had to be connected to the system just right - this could have been the RF adaptor itself but I'm guessing it's the system.

Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Here is post 4.

Paid $20 for 12 sealed models and a stack of vintage playboys (not pictured).

[]
707ce842.jpg
7e2be82f.jpg
1e1672f6.jpg
725809b4.jpg
caef0b37.jpg
1ebb8add.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Wanted $10, paid $5 N64 console

[]
3dd2d016.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Paid $5 total. Didn't want to open my sealed black label.

[]
7fd4ed91.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Last edited by a moderator:
Post 1

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Here are the rest of my finds:

SEALED Wolf Puzzle $1

[]
e7e106f5.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Misc NES stuff $3 total

[]
bf10cc44.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Xbox game and 2 sealed memory cards $1.50 total

[]
4833d46b.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Misc Gameboy - DS games $5 total

[]
e5667387.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Ps1 games and Star Wars Monopoly $5 total

[]
722659ed.jpg
e8eaa818.jpg
[/SPOILER]

SEALED 3D Puzzle Taj Mahal $1 :D

[]
9a86090c.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Left of the Dial (Rhino Records comp) $6.

This is from a chick I have bought from in the past. She always has sealed CDs (used to work at a record label and still has friends in the industry). Schultzed would have a field day at her house. I wish I had a scanner when I go to her sales. I've pulled 3 CDs worth over $75 each at her sales in the past.

[]
ad6f350c.jpg
[/SPOILER]

So, I put together a little list of about 10 sales for this morning. I got out the door a few minutes later than I wanted it was about 8 am (no biggie because half were 9am). On the way to the first sale I saw a sign . . . a few extra mins there. I got to the first sale by about 8:15 and saw nothing of interest (bought very little all day). As I'm walking away I see that couple has a Gameboy color with a stack of 4 games (the whole set marked $4) on top was Mario 6 golden coins.

So, being 10 mins. late means I miss the only videogame item I saw . . . why do I even bother?

There's a guy who owns a store around here that sells collectables. I am pretty sure I've seen him several mornings while hitting spots that were on CL. He does not even look around for stuff; walks right up to the yard sale owner and asks if they have any videogames, dvds, or boxed toys. I am pretty sure he gets to places right when they open. Kind of frustrating, but whatev.

[quote name='schultzed']So, I put together a little list of about 10 sales for this morning. I got out the door a few minutes later than I wanted it was about 8 am (no biggie because half were 9am). On the way to the first sale I saw a sign . . . a few extra mins there. I got to the first sale by about 8:15 and saw nothing of interest (bought very little all day). As I'm walking away I see that couple has a Gameboy color with a stack of 4 games (the whole set marked $4) on top was Mario 6 golden coins.

So, being 10 mins. late means I miss the only videogame item I saw . . . why do I even bother?[/QUOTE]

I had late to the party experience as well today. It was a gameboy SP and games that was $5. A little boy beat me to it, so I wasn't too upset about it. Of course If I were there literally 1 minute earlier it would have been mine!

I actually got up at 7:15 today to get a a sale that advertised "Ds games" They had 2 games one was $5 and the other $10. Of course the sale that was closer to my house that I skipped to go to the main sale "Had a lot of Ds games, but one guy bought all of them". #-o

[quote name='schultzed']So, I put together a little list of about 10 sales for this morning. I got out the door a few minutes later than I wanted it was about 8 am (no biggie because half were 9am). On the way to the first sale I saw a sign . . . a few extra mins there. I got to the first sale by about 8:15 and saw nothing of interest (bought very little all day). As I'm walking away I see that couple has a Gameboy color with a stack of 4 games (the whole set marked $4) on top was Mario 6 golden coins.

So, being 10 mins. late means I miss the only videogame item I saw . . . why do I even bother?[/QUOTE]

I just keep telling myself that the next sale is going to have Lunar boxsets and anime crap that no one knows how to value. Of course the last time I thought that all they had left was a DBZ VHS set and a GBA cleaning kit :drool:

yeah went to like, 10 sales today and 8 of them were just infant clothes.

milwaukee yard sales are lame.

The first one I went to advertised games heavily, got there at opening and the guy was like "yeah my buddy called and wanted me to hold it all for him to look over but i'll call you later after he looks at it" which of course he never did. What a dick move.

Only other things I found were some old pc games for $1 each, simcity classic, simtower, Halo for PC, and Tony Hawk 2 for PS1. Spent $4.

At least it was a nice day to be out driving around. sunny and 80s.

Been a few weeks since I posted any pics in this thread. 3 weeks ago I was on vacation, and 2 weeks ago I went out and found nothing worthy of posting. Last week, however, I got back into form.

YardSalesPics139.jpg

Picked up everything here for $22 at this Friday morning sale. This sale advertised a SNES, along with a few other game systems, on Craigslist, so inevitably I knew I'd face competition. Sale started at 8am, I roll up at 7:45 (wanted to be earlier, but traffic was worse than normal), as does another guy my age (early 20s). This other buyer gets out of his car and proclaims to the world "I'm here for the Super Nintendo!" and then makes a beeline for it. I'm right behind him by about half a second, but I'm not going to make an all out dash for it and shove him out of the way (not wishing to start a fight/go to jail over it). Seller witnesses everything, and tells us to "work it out." Other buyer gets his paws on it first, I reason with him and tell him that we should flip a coin for it, since we were both there at the exact same time. Seems like a reasonable enough method, I flip the coin, other buyer called tails, and it was heads. So I get the SNES stuff for $15. Too bad one of the controllers is junk and SNES was missing the power cord, but it's incredibly hard to find a SNES around here, so it was still worth it. Paid $1 each for the 2 PC games (not sure if half-life 2 will work, worth a shot) and $5 for the ornament. Seller had a lot of 90s Star Wars stuff, but priced everything too high to be worth picking up.

Next morning I head to a Community Yard sale about 30 miles away, figuring this might unearth some good stuff (had a terrible week the week prior driving around my area). Get there about 7:30am, hit up a bunch of houses, with some decent finds. Passed on a lot of Gamecube/Wii/DS shovelware but found:

YardSalesPics147.jpg

At different sales:
$1 for the Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby guide
$13 total for Mario Party 8, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Crash, and Lego Star Wars 2 (all complete). Kid brought out about 20 games, but he was young (maybe 9) and most were junk.
$7 total for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Super Monkey Ball 2 (no manual), and Sonic Riders.
$3 for DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
$1 for Simpsons Road Rage
$4 for Mario Strikers Charged
$.50 for Imagine Master Chef
$.50 Link's Crossbow Training
$4 for Rocky Anthology on DVD

An elderly woman at one sale wanted $100 for an NES, 2 controllers, and Super Mario/Duck Hunt. She said her daughter looked it up on ebay and saw one going for $100. I laughed, told her it must have had about 50 games with it, offered her $5, told her if someone offered her $15, she should take it, and left. Hate it when people don't know what they are talking about, or are even in the same ballpark.

Left the community yard sale, and hit up another area on the way home. Asked about video games at one particular sale, and a late 40s guy said his son had a ton of stuff he didn't play any more. Bought:

YardSalesPics145.jpg

YardSalesPics148.jpg

He walked me inside to his son's room, and asked his son if he wanted to sell some of it. Son was all for it, so I went through his stuff right there in his bedroom, and picked out all the good stuff (no Gamecube controllers to be found, and no DS, since kid said someone stole it). When it came time to price, they started to try to individually price things ($20 for the N64 system, $2 per n64 game, etc), which was going to get me nowhere I wanted to go. I told them (father and son) to throw a number at me, considering that I was going to take a bunch of stuff off their hands right here and now, and they didn't have to try to get rid of it somewhere else. Father offered $80, and I countered with $60 (not wanting to lowball too far, because the father seemed to know the values of some things). We ended up settling at $70, they gave me a big box, and away I went. The 3 disc-only Playstation games that are hard make out are Spyro 1, 2, and 3. Would have liked to get everything for $50 or so, but what can you do. Probably should have tried to grab just the games for $30 or $40. Sealed Mickey Puzzle was a random find for $1 at another sale.

Overall had one of my better weeks last week, and I hope Hurricane Irene doesn't scare away all the sales this week.

[quote name='slowdive21']I had late to the party experience as well today. It was a gameboy SP and games that was $5. A little boy beat me to it, so I wasn't too upset about it. Of course If I were there literally 1 minute earlier it would have been mine![/QUOTE]

I was working an apartment complex sale at my sister's place last Saturday. We get set up, I see the lady next to us has an N64 in a box, but I'm trying to wrangle the kids and whatnot. So I get a chance to look at about 9:10, the sale was supposed to open at 9:00. Only to walk up and see a guy buying Conker's Bad Fur Day for a buck right in front of me. :cry: I did get Pokemon Stadium from her for a dollar though.

The day started to suck when a ridiculous thunderstorm rolled in around 12:00, the wind was blowing over people's tables, and lamps, and stuff just flying everywhere. We though we were alright when a bit of rain started because everyone was set up under the carport. Then the weather went crazy.

When everyone was packing up, I got a complete NES with 2 controllers and the running pad, plus about 13 games from a guy on the far end for only $8. :D He had it priced at $40 for the system, and $3 per game all day. But when the storm came, he wanted stuff gone, so that turned the day around for me.

[quote name='dys006']
When everyone was packing up, I got a complete NES with 2 controllers and the running pad, plus about 13 games from a guy on the far end for only $8. :D He had it priced at $40 for the system, and $3 per game all day. But when the storm came, he wanted stuff gone, so that turned the day around for me.[/QUOTE]

Love when that happens! Congrats on the score.

I'm still bouncing off the walls. Hit up an estate sale today, which was clear out in the middle of nowhere. They had listed some SNES and NES games, so I brought 40 bucks and figured I'd grab a couple and head home.

IMG_2523.JPG

Holy crap, what a score. Spent the entire $40, the games were marked $5 each. Everything is complete, down to coupons and inserts. And, aside from Contra III which is a little banged up, everything is super minty and just gorgeous.

I'm going back tomorrow with a hundred or so for round two.

lucky guy, jerry.

estate sales i've been to here are nothing but cabinets and dishes and shit..

[quote name='jer7583']lucky guy, jerry.

estate sales i've been to here are nothing but cabinets and dishes and shit..[/QUOTE]

Seriously, it's usually doilies, flowery couches and televisions from the mid-80's.

I'm up at dawn, and my wife's agreed to a budget cap of $150 for this adventure, which is rare. Normally she'd probably have cut me off already, but in this case she gets it. :bouncy: Probably going to mean overtime for me to make up the difference, though.

If no one picked through them in the hour after I left the sale, there should still be more than 30 lovely boxed games there. Wish me luck!

Whole lotta nothing today

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Most of what I see is in the possession of coin dealers; makes me wish I'd bought more silver eagles back when they were selling around $20-25.[/QUOTE]

It's still early in the game.

Gold is going over $3000
Silver is going over $100
at the very least

[quote name='AugustAPC']Oh my god. The Turtles games :drool:. I'm the biggest TMNT fan in the world. I would die for those.[/QUOTE]

Me too! Do u know when they made teenage mutant ninja turtles michelangelo with that spinning arm/hand ninchoke? I had it as a kid and lost it. There is so many different packages I cant tell.

Hope someone can post a pic of the package so I know what to look for.

thanks.

[quote name='Floopy']Would have liked to get everything for $50 or so, but what can you do. [/QUOTE]

You are fucking with us, right? You had private access to pick through the kid's bedroom and walked away with over $200 worth of goods for $70 . . .

Will likely be awhile before I can post finds . . . but I did OK . . . considering I only had 3 hours on Fri and 2 hours today.

But I'm really happy about one thing. I entered into a neighborhood sale (only about 12 houses) and right away spotted one of my book rivals. We chat a little and exchange jokes (but really hate each other). So, we were neck and neck and then I jumped ahead one sale. This led to a nice find of some older nursing texts--most were crap but I probably picked up $200 in listing value for $4 . . . and saw his sad face as I paid.

He took a different angle later and beat me to another sale but I could see that his pile of cookbooks and diet titles were so-so.

had a crappy weekend this week due to the hurricane irene coming around. Went to a sale on thursday and picked up a few barbies for my daughter but nothing else worth mentioning. Hopefully next week is a nicer week weather wise...

[quote name='TiKi2']Whole lotta nothing today

It's still early in the game.

Gold is going over $3000
Silver is going over $100
at the very least[/QUOTE]

Due to inflation / mass amounts of US currency being printed?

I just have too many memories of silver being $12-15 to sink a crapton of money into it; like any other market now, how do we know that prices aren't just being ran up until the "bubble" bursts? Better to invest in food and ammo :bouncy:

[quote name='Jerry-kun']I'm still bouncing off the walls. Hit up an estate sale today, which was clear out in the middle of nowhere. They had listed some SNES and NES games, so I brought 40 bucks and figured I'd grab a couple and head home.

IMG_2523.JPG

Holy crap, what a score. Spent the entire $40, the games were marked $5 each. Everything is complete, down to coupons and inserts. And, aside from Contra III which is a little banged up, everything is super minty and just gorgeous.

I'm going back tomorrow with a hundred or so for round two.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it's still there. :hot: This is why it can be a good idea to carry around $150-200 as long as you're not going into a bad neighborhood.

Had a pretty decent haul today. First sale I went to had a bunch of 360/Wii games, all were $5 each. Xbox titles were $2 and ones without cases were $1. 360 had some decent titles and Wii was all shovelware, but I got the feeling this guy was an El Hoardo type who tried to make a profit from buying titles during Blockbuster B1G1 14.99 and under sales because he didn't remove some of the BBV stickers that were on some of the games. I tried to bargain down some of the prices but he stayed firm. He even had an iPad with a card reader to accept card payments, but I didn't bother. Ended up with Halo 1 and Tecmo Classic Arcade for $2 total.

A bunch of townhouses had a sale but there wasn't really anything of note. I saw a guy with a Dell Inspiron laptop but I forgot to ask how much he got it for. A lady was selling Xbox games for $1 each but they were all pretty much sports games. I did buy Conflict: Desert Storm for $1 and it was complete. Game brings back memories for me during my high school years, although I was playing it on PS2 at the time.

One sale I didn't write down the night before had some Legos, but unfortunately a couple beat me to the good stuff. I saw them with a bag of Lego Star Wars stuff, which I'm guess was anything before 2005, and some old Lego Harry Potter stuff before the relaunch. I asked them how much they paid for the stuff and they told me $10. I mopped up the leftover Legos and got a bunch of minifigs and spare parts for $2, but I was just unlucky with getting the SW/HP stuff. One of the bags I got had an old battery in it, so I'm gonna have to clean those Legos. Guess it all balances out since I got a sealed Hogwarts Express for $10 earlier this month.

The last sale I went to had some Gamecube titles for $1 each, disc only. The discs were kinda rough, and the seller offered 50 cents each for them now. I got Paper Mario TTYD and Mega Man Anniversary Collection. The guy also threw in 3 official GC controllers for 50 cents each...hope they work since the controllers were on the grass and the dew won't screw up the controllers. I also got the novel version of The Force Unleashed for 50 cents, so total was $3 for this lot. Looks like I possibly missed out on some good stuff because the guy told me he was cleaned out by another person, but I'm pretty happy with what I got today.

Great day for me.

First stop:

$5

Second stop:

$6 There is a lot there:
Bully and MGS3 for the PS2.

Battleship, NFL Football, Supeer RC Pro Am, Rugrats the movie,Alien 3, James Bond 007, and TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan for the original Gameboy.

Operation: Armored Liberty, Classic NES: Metroid, Power Rangers Wild Force,Yu Yu Yakusho Spirit Detective, Sims 2, Madagascar, Tony Hawk's Underground 2, Namco Museum, Pac-Man Collection, Star Wars Episode III, and Jimmy Neutron for the GBA.

The smurf was actually from sale #3.

Sale #3:

These + the smurf in the other pic - $12

And that was about it. Spent my limit. Not bad at all, though. :)

Wow you guys/gals did really well this weekend! Congrats! Minty Boxed NES games!?!

I am working on pics for the past 2 weekends today, but I have a former girlfriend in town so I will be behind schedule (as usual).

Schulzted I owe you a pm. BTW: I like your story about the competition. I was fortunate this weekend and beat my Nemesis to a few games (nothing special though). He just looked at my pile on the ground by the person running the sale, looked around, saw me, and left in a hurry (now he leaves his truck running). :)

And the conclusion: I went in with $150, and luckily most of it was still there. Seems someone grabbed the first Ninja Turtles game; that's okay, I've already got it cart-only, though it would have been nice.

I went in with a small list from memory, but when I got there - just like last time - I reverted into a 10 year-old who just mowed 15 lawns on a Mountain Dew high.

So, no Ninja Turtles, but look what they left behind:

IMG_2524.JPG
The SNES is yellowed, but absolutely complete - the original twist ties are even in there. :drool: The yellowing we can fix, no big deal. $49, and they threw in an extra controller and a cleaning kit.

Of course, the cleaning kit and extra controller were for the NES.

The rest of the cash went here:

NES Games:
IMG_2525.JPG

SNES Games:
IMG_2526.JPG

:bouncy: I am, in total, $189 poorer, but man, I'm now the coolest 10 year-old on the block. :cool:

that actraiser is giving me an extreme jealousy complex. Hope you're keeping those.

[quote name='The Punisher']Me too! Do u know when they made teenage mutant ninja turtles michelangelo with that spinning arm/hand ninchoke? I had it as a kid and lost it. There is so many different packages I cant tell.

Hope someone can post a pic of the package so I know what to look for.

thanks.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone remember the Ninja Turtle toys that you would turn into a turtle, then you could reverse it and they'd turn into a Ninja Turtle? They were so hard to find, and my mom and I finally found my favorite one as a kid - Raphael.

Then one night I stepped on our remote control. I was like 3 or 4. This made my dad mad so he stepped on my Ninja Turtle. It broke :cry: and all the little "guts" fell out because it was in turtle form. It was my favorite toy. The remote was fine. One of my only childhood memories. I still guilt my dad about that lol.

Speaking of coins:

I have some old coins here, my grandpa used to work at a vending company, so he has quite a few older coins. We want to sell them but we don't even know where to start. There are a ton of fly by night companies who are coming into our town and sending out ads that they will buy old coins, silver and gold. I assume going into one of these places would be a bad idea. How can I go about getting a fair price on these coins without getting screwed? I don't know anything about old coins.

Sega 3 Button Stick, Pac-Man Glass - .75
Everything Else - 25

.25 & .50 were the asking price for the first 2 items, the Pac-Man glass has the same picture on the other side. The rest of the stuff was from an advertised sale early on (mentioned PS2, DS & Wii) came up to 31.50 but took my offer of 25. Anything that isn't cart only is complete.

The guide book was out and marked .50, asked about video games and everything else was brought out offered 5 for it all. Sonic is complete, Sonic 2 & Little Mermaid boxed and the last 2 cases only.

[quote name='jer7583']that actraiser is giving me an extreme jealousy complex. Hope you're keeping those.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah. You'd have to pry them from my cold dead hands. :lol:

Believe it or not, I missed out on ActRaiser completely, but always wanted it after seeing it on Nick Arcade. I played it for the first time a few minutes ago, and I'm in love.

Also, $5 would have been a great deal for that one cart-only. Complete and boxed, I'm still reeling. :bouncy:

[quote name='SaraAB']Speaking of coins:

I have some old coins here, my grandpa used to work at a vending company, so he has quite a few older coins. We want to sell them but we don't even know where to start. There are a ton of fly by night companies who are coming into our town and sending out ads that they will buy old coins, silver and gold. I assume going into one of these places would be a bad idea. How can I go about getting a fair price on these coins without getting screwed? I don't know anything about old coins.[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you have; precious metal content is pretty straight-forward but there's also the part of coins that's all about grade and rarity; this latter part is where you can get screwed if you're not careful. I'd recommend going to a coin show and shop around with your collection...go to long-established dealers and pick their brains for what they're paying. Some of the older guys might be a little more trustworthy, but also keep in mind that they're shrewd. When buying a collector might try to knock down the grade of your coin or try to get all of your coins for bullion-price, pulling out the keys to sell individually.

It's like anything else, if you have a $600 penny; it's better to pull that out and sell it individually to offers of maybe $300-400 rather than toss it in a lot where somebody might not even notice it.

After reading all the great deals people are finding, I decided last weekend to head out for some yard sailing. Last week was a bust finding only a $75 ps2 with 3rd party controllers. I was going to quit but figured why not give it another try?

We were heading to the mall after another day of no games and saw a sign heading down a side road.

I walked around and living in FL after being out for 2 hours I was rushing to get back to the AC. As I went past the last rack of stuff Mega Man called out to me :)

I sent my husband to find out the game prices and they said $5 each or 5 for $20. After seeing the RPG titles I just kept handing them off to my hubby, who was a kid in a candy store. I passed on some that I might go back to check for tomorrow, but I picked these up for $40.

img1029uy.jpg

[quote name='te619']After reading all the great deals people are finding, I decided last weekend to head out for some yard sailing. Last week was a bust finding only a $75 ps2 with 3rd party controllers. I was going to quit but figured why not give it another try?

We were heading to the mall after another day of no games and saw a sign heading down a side road.

I walked around and living in FL after being out for 2 hours I was rushing to get back to the AC. As I went past the last rack of stuff Mega Man called out to me :)

I sent my husband to find out the game prices and they said $5 each or 5 for $20. After seeing the RPG titles I just kept handing them off to my hubby, who was a kid in a candy store. I passed on some that I might go back to check for tomorrow, but I picked these up for $40.

img1029uy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Very nice find!

[quote name='te619']and saw a sign heading down a side road.
[/QUOTE]

Taken by itself, this could be a line from an old text adventure . . . like Zork.

This is my favorite aspect of saleing . . . I have a plan with some listed sales in mind but its the obscure sale that sometimes turns up the best stuff.

Speaking of 80s trivia, I've been reading (OK, listening to the audiobook of) "Ready Player One." Thus far, a really fun novel set in an awful future but loaded with great 80s pop-culture references. The best videogame novel since "Lucky Wander Boy." Actually, they are the only 2 videogame novels I can think of.

As a bonus, the audiobook is read by Wil Wheaton . . . and he absolutely nails it.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Does anyone remember the Ninja Turtle toys that you would turn into a turtle, then you could reverse it and they'd turn into a Ninja Turtle? They were so hard to find, and my mom and I finally found my favorite one as a kid - Raphael.

Then one night I stepped on our remote control. I was like 3 or 4. This made my dad mad so he stepped on my Ninja Turtle. It broke :cry: and all the little "guts" fell out because it was in turtle form. It was my favorite toy. The remote was fine. One of my only childhood memories. I still guilt my dad about that lol.[/QUOTE]

Cool story. I remember those. Kind of like beast wars. Mikey was the one I like the most.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']It depends on what you have; precious metal content is pretty straight-forward but there's also the part of coins that's all about grade and rarity; this latter part is where you can get screwed if you're not careful. I'd recommend going to a coin show and shop around with your collection...go to long-established dealers and pick their brains for what they're paying. Some of the older guys might be a little more trustworthy, but also keep in mind that they're shrewd. When buying a collector might try to knock down the grade of your coin or try to get all of your coins for bullion-price, pulling out the keys to sell individually.

It's like anything else, if you have a $600 penny; it's better to pull that out and sell it individually to offers of maybe $300-400 rather than toss it in a lot where somebody might not even notice it.[/QUOTE]

I really have no idea if there is a $600 penny in there or not but I imagine the condition of the coins isn't that great since they did come from vending machines. It sounds like it would be best to take a small amount of coins each time or perhaps hit a coin show with my multiple family members and split up the coins between us so it wouldn't be one person walking in with a huge ziploc full of coins. We don't have that many coins so its not like I would be walking into one dealer with a huge jar or anything like that. I also have a silver certificate dollar bill from 1957. I might try taking a handful of coins to the flea market if I can find a coin dealer there just to gauge the prices.

super lucky on that Mega Man Legends 2 for $5. Really glad I kept my copy. Still hoping to find a Misadventures of Tron Bonne for a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back