Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. Thanks for the insight. The town I go to school in is too spread out to drive around, and the Craigslist is for the entire state of Maine not a region. I checked the local paper and found one that is close. An estate sale listing lots of random stuff mostly antiques. Could be a good find.

Sometimes when you go to a sale there will be an unadvertised one near by, or check popular sign spots, intersections etc. We mostly follow the paper however a lot of people will put up an unadvertised sale because ads in the paper here are really expensive.

Saw a $15 genesis in the box with 4 junk games. Left it. The owner wasn't there and I didn't feel like lowballing. Hopefully tomorrow I will be more into shopping.

I don't usually look on craigslist for sales, sometimes I will search keywords like video game, nintendo, playstation etc and see if I can find anything good. I generally just start by driving out of my neighborhood and checking the front of it for signs, if there are none going to the area of mostly upper middle class raytheon employees and look for signs because that's where i find the most stuff. i'm starting to think of going somewhere else because there's A LOT of competition but i'm not sure where.

[quote name='jaydepps']Where do you guys hear about yard sales? Local paper? Craigslist is lacking, but it may be too early for us.[/QUOTE]

Like others have said, I use the local paper (online listings) as a starting point and try to drive by major intersections and/or along major streets.

Many of the best sales are the ones where someone just posts a sign at the last minute. But the listings give me a set of guidelines. Its nice to have some targets and then hopefully pick up a few things along the way.

This is from the last several weeks, right up until today.

5 empty cases and a SSBM manual, $1 for all

GC Animal Crossing (complete), $4
NES Othello (complete)
NES Tetris (complete), $6 for both

GEN Spot Goes to Hollywood (no manual), Outlander (complete), Outrun 2019 (no manual), Toe Jame & Earl: Panic on Funkotron (no manual), Jurassic Park (complete), Bart vs. The Space Mutants (no manual), Hard Drivin' (complete), Micro Machines (no manual), $8 for all

GC Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc (complete), $6
XBOX 360 Kinect Adventures! (new & sealed), $5
PS2 Katamari Damacy (complete), $2
PSX Brain Dead 13 (complete), $3
SAT Sonic 3D Blast (complete), $2

NES Tetris, Golf, Target: Renegade, Mickey Mousecapade, Tom & Jerry, 1 plastic case, $5 for all

N64 Gold System w/2 controllers, AV & power cables (not pictured)
Transfer Pak, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, $20 for all

GEN Sega Genesis console w/3 controllers, RF unit and AC adapter (not pictured), 4 Genesis games, 3 NES games
PS2 Raiden III
NGPC Bust-a-Move Pocket, Samurai Shodown! 2, Metal Slug: 2nd Mission, $8 for all

firehawknmoret.jpg

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask guide, 50¢
Firehawk poster (?), FREE
Army Men: GOLD 3-pack, $1
DC Daytona USA, Rogue Spear, $2 for both
SNES Gradius, $1.50

GEN Jungle Book, $1
GG Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble, FREE
MD Wrestle War, $1
Blue Game Boy Pocket (missing battery cover), $1
3 GBA manuals, FREE
Fossil "Vintage" Superman watch, $1
Duncan Yo-yo (new), $1

GC Silver Gamecube controller (new & sealed), $5
GC Wavebird controller (missing receiver), $1
Peavy Headphone amp (missing AC adapter), $1

Sorry 'bout the headphone amp. I don't normally include my non toy & game finds here. I just sorta auto-piloted that one.

6 PSX games: Grand Theft Auto, GTA: London, Marble Master, Blaster Master: Blasting Again, Mega Man X5, Die Hard (all complete), $3 for all
PSX RayStorm (complete), $5
PSX Final Fantasy Tactics (GH, complete), $2
PSX PaRappa The Rapper (complete w/poster), $6

SNES Earthbound, Super Mario RPG (w/manual), Chrono Trigger, $25 for all

Figured I'd save the best for last.
js_wink.gif
And yes, that's the second copy of EB that I've found since February.

[quote name='allyourblood']This is from the last several weeks, right up until today.

5 empty cases and a SSBM manual, $1 for all

GC Animal Crossing (complete), $4
NES Othello (complete)
NES Tetris (complete), $6 for both

GEN Spot Goes to Hollywood (no manual), Outlander (complete), Outrun 2019 (no manual), Toe Jame & Earl: Panic on Funkotron (no manual), Jurassic Park (complete), Bart vs. The Space Mutants (no manual), Hard Drivin' (complete), Micro Machines (no manual), $8 for all

GC Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc (complete), $6
XBOX 360 Kinect Adventures! (new & sealed), $5
PS2 Katamari Damacy (complete), $2
PSX Brain Dead 13 (complete), $3
SAT Sonic 3D Blast (complete), $2

NES Tetris, Golf, Target: Renegade, Mickey Mousecapade, Tom & Jerry, 1 plastic case, $5 for all

N64 Gold System w/2 controllers, AV & power cables (not pictured)
Transfer Pak, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, $20 for all

GEN Sega Genesis console w/3 controllers, RF unit and AC adapter (not pictured), 4 Genesis games, 3 NES games
PS2 Raiden III
NGPC Bust-a-Move Pocket, Samurai Shodown! 2, Metal Slug: 2nd Mission, $8 for all

firehawknmoret.jpg

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask guide, 50¢
Firehawk poster (?), FREE
Army Men: GOLD 3-pack, $1
DC Daytona USA, Rogue Spear, $2 for both
SNES Gradius, $1.50

GEN Jungle Book, $1
GG Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble, FREE
MD Wrestle War, $1
Blue Game Boy Pocket (missing battery cover), $1
3 GBA manuals, FREE
Fossil "Vintage" Superman watch, $1
Duncan Yo-yo (new), $1

GC Silver Gamecube controller (new & sealed), $5
GC Wavebird controller (missing receiver), $1
Peavy Headphone amp (missing AC adapter), $1

Sorry 'bout the headphone amp. I don't normally include my non toy & game finds here. I just sorta auto-piloted that one.

6 PSX games: Grand Theft Auto, GTA: London, Marble Master, Blaster Master: Blasting Again, Mega Man X5, Die Hard (all complete), $3 for all
PSX RayStorm (complete), $5
PSX Final Fantasy Tactics (GH, complete), $2
PSX PaRappa The Rapper (complete w/poster), $6

SNES Earthbound, Super Mario RPG (w/manual), Chrono Trigger, $25 for all

Figured I'd save the best for last.
js_wink.gif
And yes, that's the second copy of EB that I've found since February.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I would love it just to find part of what you found, even more so for the gold n64, nice haul. Also I hate you just little :D

Thanks for the comments, folks!

I've said this before, but it bears repeating, because I find it so odd: every time I find something that I've been aggressively searching for, for ages, I almost always find a second copy within a couple month's time (often sooner). Any of you experience the same thing?

I once had a nearly perfect copy of Chrono Trigger, complete in box (with everything), along with FFIII and Secret of Mana. I sold them off a few years ago, and had been hoping that I'd stumble across them again, so to find CT again was just awesome. It's gonna be a while before I have time to play it (I'm just now barely getting close to finishing Mass Effect 2), but it'll be a real treat when I do.

And yeah, the N64 is one of my favorite finds in a while. The best part is that the controllers don't hardly appear to have been used much, other than some light wear from storage (I'm guessing); the joysticks are 100% centered and super-snappy, which is usually the first thing to go, and also the main reason I often end up turning down controllers in my travels. Of all systems, my N64 collection has the fewest controllers.

I wish I could find stuff in the quality you find it. I had found a bunch of snes games at the flea market, including some Donkey Kong Country 2s and a few others that looked like someones dog had chewed and pooped on them.

As for finding things, I barely find things, but I've found some nice stuff this year.

I'm pretty much retired from g-sales. Only goto a couple here and there, no real finds, all I bought.
Married with children board game $1
Pokemon Monopoly $1

I have too much shit and don't want to really bring anymore in.

Man, I wish I could find a copy of Earthbound in the wild even.

Didn't find much this weekend, but I got Street Fighter Championship Edition on Genesis for $2 (definitely overpaid), and a sealed copy of Pokemon Ruby for $5. Ok, that's arguably rarer and more valuable than Earthbound, but at least I can play Earthbound.

[quote name='elessar123'] Ok, that's arguably rarer and more valuable than Earthbound, but at least I can play Earthbound.[/QUOTE]

Unless it's a sealed Earthbound! :lol:

Good find, though. The GBA Pokemon games are tough to come by for me, even just bare cart. I only have two. Whenever I do find them, people always seem to want silly money for them, even at yard sales.

[quote name='allyourblood']Unless it's a sealed Earthbound! :lol:

Good find, though. The GBA Pokemon games are tough to come by for me, even just bare cart. I only have two. Whenever I do find them, people always seem to want silly money for them, even at yard sales.[/QUOTE]

That's weird, last year I was getting Pokemon carts for $2-3 bucks all the time. I even got a Pokemon Emerald from a knowledgeable dealer for $5 o_O

Doesn't look like the sales have picked up here yet. I went to an indoor sale and found an Evil Ernie #1 comic from the first series for $1.

They sell for about $50-$80 each on ebay in this condition.

Never see pokemon games around here, I guess they either get sold before I get there or people just trade them into GS because they give a high trade in value. GS isn't taking GBA games anymore so hopefully this year will be good for pickings for GBA games. I don't think we have a super high number of people playing pokemon here either.

[quote name='allyourblood']Thanks for the comments, folks!

I've said this before, but it bears repeating, because I find it so odd: every time I find something that I've been aggressively searching for, for ages, I almost always find a second copy within a couple month's time (often sooner). Any of you experience the same thing?

I once had a nearly perfect copy of Chrono Trigger, complete in box (with everything), along with FFIII and Secret of Mana. I sold them off a few years ago, and had been hoping that I'd stumble across them again, so to find CT again was just awesome. It's gonna be a while before I have time to play it (I'm just now barely getting close to finishing Mass Effect 2), but it'll be a real treat when I do.

And yeah, the N64 is one of my favorite finds in a while. The best part is that the controllers don't hardly appear to have been used much, other than some light wear from storage (I'm guessing); the joysticks are 100% centered and super-snappy, which is usually the first thing to go, and also the main reason I often end up turning down controllers in my travels. Of all systems, my N64 collection has the fewest controllers.[/QUOTE]

Its possible to do a joystick replacement, so I would definitely take some standard colored controllers, remove the joysticks and put them in the gold ones (if you had bad joysticks that is). But it looks like you are OK with the ones you got. You used to be able to order the joystick assembly from the Nintendo store but I am sure they stopped stocking that item a long time ago.

The only one I remember clearly is Super Mario 64, didn't see a copy here for years however the past 1-2 years I have found at least 3-4 copies.

[quote name='slowdive21']Doesn't look like the sales have picked up here yet. I went to an indoor sale and found an Evil Ernie #1 comic from the first series for $1.

They sell for about $50-$80 each on ebay in this condition.[/QUOTE]

I might have one of those; I didn't think it was worth so much though. You notice some of the higher bids on ebay are for autographed copies?

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I might have one of those; I didn't think it was worth so much though. You notice some of the higher bids on ebay are for autographed copies?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that doesn't matter on this book since it is the first Lady Death. The price guide does not even call out the autographed version (I think it was 775 copies or something). The book is scarce so its value is based more on the print run, than the auto. Pulido is like james o'barr, they sign everything, so their sig does not add much value to the book. The crow #1 will always be worth money signed or unsigned.

I just noticed they are coming out with a new commodore 64. The 128 I picked up a couple of years ago for $2 sold for $227.50 on ebay. I also have the monitor with the box for mine.M ine is not in as nice of shape, but it might be time to sell. I haven't even looked at it since I bought it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280651775654

Cool to see this, didn't even know about it. This is exactly how I got my 360 last year, so so far this year I've got
3 PSP games (Grand Theft Auto and others) + PS2 small with 25 games for $35. Traded it into GS for $92 and paid off Portal. Then yesterday got a box full of SNES, N64, PS2 for 15 dollars, gonna trade them at a local store tomorrow.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Cool to see this, didn't even know about it. This is exactly how I got my 360 last year, so so far this year I've got
3 PSP games (Grand Theft Auto and others) + PS2 small with 25 games for $35. Traded it into GS for $92 and paid off Portal. Then yesterday got a box full of SNES, N64, PS2 for 15 dollars, gonna trade them at a local store tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Mind giving us a bragging list? ;)

Today a lady at a yardsale brings out a cardboard box the size of a small compact car (which makes me all hopeful) and the only thing inside is two n64 controllers and a Madcatz steering wheel. XD You know the hunting's bad when you start looking for controllers at yardsales.

On the bright side I picked up my second Blast Lacrosse @ Goodwill for $2.12

I went to a community wide garage sale today. I didn't pick up any games, but made out great with some blu rays. I picked up Robin Hood and Iron Man 2 at one garage sale for $2 each and Invinceable at another one for $2. All looked like brand new.

The highlight though: I went to another garage sale and found a single Blu Ray mixed in with some other DVDs. It turned out to be Planet Earth 4 disc Collector's Edition....new and sealed! I asked the teenage kid how much they wanted. He said, "I'll take a buck".....cha ching!!!

Had my first real morning of yard-sailing this season. First stop, I come across a brand new, sealed copy of Dance Central for the 360 for $3!!! Promptly opened the plastic, stuck it in a mailer, and sent it to Amazon for $33.50 credit. Not too shabby, but didn't find too much else, save for a Rocketfish Bluetooth Wireless mouse (also brand new and sealed) for $1.

Had a great morning yard saling: Found a Q*bert board game from parker brothers complete for 50 cents, Slipknot Disasterpiece DVD (Sealed) for $1, a vintage millenium falcon (missing the radar dish, one support strut for the ramp, the training ball/arm, and the floor panel for the hidden compartment) for 25 cents (and the buzzer still works!) and the find of the day, a baby lock blind hemmer sewing machine which sells on ebay for $300, for $8.

[quote name='maccabee72'] and found a single Blu Ray mixed in with some other DVDs. It turned out to be Planet Earth 4 disc Collector's Edition....new and sealed! I asked the teenage kid how much they wanted. He said, "I'll take a buck".....cha ching!!![/QUOTE]

Damn, that's sweet! I love finding a gem and getting it for cheap.

[quote name='sgaldis']stuck it in a mailer, and sent it to Amazon for $33.50 credit. [/QUOTE]

Damn, that's sweet! I love the quick flip.

These are from 3 different sales, but $1 a piece. Tomb Raider Chronicles and the audiobook are sealed. Everything else is complete.

faf11538.jpg

$3 for the D&D game, and $0.50 for the Sherlock Holmes game.
d779f80a.jpg

[quote name='elessar123']
These are from 3 different sales, but $1 a piece. Tomb Raider Chronicles and the audiobook are sealed. Everything else is complete.

NICE!

Too cold for sales here still, but maybe in a few weeks. I did have 2 bag sales today but they were pretty sparse however thankfully not a lot of people showed up to clean it out and I have a rummage sale tomorrow.

[quote name='slowdive21']NICE![/QUOTE]

Yea, had no idea Darkstalkers 3 was worth as much as it was. Not going to sell it, so it doesn't matter, I guess. I thought it was $20, not $40.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, had no idea Darkstalkers 3 was worth as much as it was. Not going to sell it, so it doesn't matter, I guess. I thought it was $20, not $40.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was $20 too, but grade could make a difference. Regardless it's a hell of a find for $1 :cool:

2 sales on Friday and then a flea-market-type thing and a church sale on Saturday.

The Friday sales were so-so . . . no games but I did ask at one and the woman said her kids would have some the next day . . . but I couldn't get back to it. I did find one gem of a book . . . I might post about it at a later date.

The church sale was a total bust. The flea-type thing was sponsored by the local newspaper as craft and rummage. There were only a few true rummage set ups and I didn't buy much.

So, instead of getting a nice tight copy of Einhander (like elessar), I get this ugly copy of Wing Commander PS1:

WingPS10409.jpg

All four discs (in rough shape) and no manual . . . $1.

This other guy had a bunch of videotapes for $1 each . . . so, I figured he wanted $1 each for these Genny games but he said .25 each. And it was clear he wanted to be rid of them . . . I offered $2 for all . . . I think he would've taken $1.

I knew that Toe Jam and Earl was worthwhile and I figured the Sonics might be good as a system pack-in. I would've grabbed Ristar even at $1 . . . nice to find that is worth something :) I had a tiny bit of hope for "Whac-a-Critter" . . . because I've never seen it before . . . but wasn't surprised to find its a dud.

I also picked up 3 Disney/Pixar DVDs . . . Lion King, Little Mermaid, and Nemo. They were $5 each, but I got all three for $10. Found out that the folks had paid $50 for their space, I doubt they made more than twice that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a fleamarket today and didn't buy anything but quite a few PS2 games available, problem is there was nothing good. There was one gem though and surprisingly it wasn't selling, someone had Dance central for the Kinect for $10, but I don't have an Xbox or kinect so I didn't buy it. This probably would have been an easy flip though, so yeah I probably should have gotten it.

[quote name='SaraAB']someone had Dance central for the Kinect for $10, but I don't have an Xbox or kinect so I didn't buy it. This probably would have been an easy flip though, so yeah I probably should have gotten it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, TIV @ Amazon is $33.50 apparently.

[quote name='sgaldis']Had my first real morning of yard-sailing this season. First stop, I come across a brand new, sealed copy of Dance Central for the 360 for $3!!! Promptly opened the plastic, stuck it in a mailer, and sent it to Amazon for $33.50 credit. Not too shabby, but didn't find too much else, save for a Rocketfish Bluetooth Wireless mouse (also brand new and sealed) for $1.[/QUOTE]

There was a neighborhood sale this week. Not much else though. It was 39 degrees and raining, I am sick, I couldn't find a parking spot, and cops were everywhere ticketing cars.

I saw my hand scanner Nemesis at the first stop (I also saw him 3 days ago at a goodwill type store and he gave me the evil eye). I was busy looking at this stuff and I didn't see the PS2/wii games. When I heard "How much are you games?" , I knew it was him. The girl said "$5 each". By the time I was done looking at this stuff he was already blocking/hunched over the games and scanning away.

He then offered the equivalent of $4 each and the girl took it. The only game I saw on top of the stack was a Spyro game on PS2 (probably a Heroes Tale). I don't understand people. If you see someone scanning your games, why would you give them a better price?

Realistically, I probably wouldn't have paid $4 or $5 bucks for a used ps2 game or wii game, so I am not upset. I hit a couple of more houses and went home.

Anyway this is what I got:

Paid $2 for everything, I probably could have offered $1, but she was nice and I wasn't feeling cheap.

[quote name='slowdive21']There was a neighborhood sale this week. Not much else though. It was 39 degrees and raining, I am sick, I couldn't find a parking spot, and cops were everywhere ticketing cars.

I saw my hand scanner Nemesis at the first stop (I also saw him 3 days ago at a goodwill type store and he gave me the evil eye). I was busy looking at this stuff and I didn't see the PS2/wii games. When I heard "How much are you games?" , I knew it was him. The girl said "$5 each". By the time I was done looking at this stuff he was already blocking/hunched over the games and scanning away.

He then offered the equivalent of $4 each and the girl took it. The only game I saw on top of the stack was a Spyro game on PS2 (probably a Heroes Tale). I don't understand people. If you see someone scanning your games, why would you give them a better price?

Realistically, I probably wouldn't have paid $4 or $5 bucks for a used ps2 game or wii game, so I am not upset. I hit a couple of more houses and went home.

Paid $2 for everything, I probably could have offered $1, but she was nice and I wasn't feeling cheap.[/QUOTE]

I have one of those transformers. "Unicron" Is it worth anything?

Well, those SNES/N64 games I got a few days ago...I ended up getting $99 cash for them + a SNES. Not bad at all. Then yesterday I picked up a box of wires to finish a N64 and got 10.50 in credit.

[quote name='Dark Rider']I have one of those transformers. "Unicron" Is it worth anything?[/QUOTE]

Mine isn't, since it is missing so many pieces (I have another one, but this one had better joints), but if you have a complete one it is worth $40-$50.

$20 for the lot, all brand new.

Uncharted
Kinect Joyride
Mafia 2
Red Dead Redemption
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

All sealed, all for PS3 except Kinect Joyride.

Einhander? Darkstalkers 3?! Sealed PS3 games!! WTF? The only thing game related I came across this weekend was a 80gb PS3 with 5 games for $175. That probably didn't even include the games.

The only thing i came home with were two foil Star Wars puzzles (Empire and ROTJ) sealed for $2 each and some 70's board games "Panzer Force" and "Dungeon!" for $1 each. Dungeon! even had a bag of "elastics" rubber bands for braces to show the complete nerdiness of the previous owner (not to be matched by the nerdiness of the current owner!).

BTW elessar, did the kitteh come with the games?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slowdive21']There was a neighborhood sale this week. Not much else though. It was 39 degrees and raining, I am sick, I couldn't find a parking spot, and cops were everywhere ticketing cars.

Paid $2 for everything, I probably could have offered $1, but she was nice and I wasn't feeling cheap.[/QUOTE]

I saw one of those Unicrons myself on Saturday, only mine had a broken pelvic piece and the girls selling him mentioned how their brother was a heavy Transformers collector. :drool: They had a Star Wars Trilogy DVD set as well, but for whatever reason I was too konked that morning to drive back and pick it up.

Lol, somebody needs a handscanner to pay four dollars for a seven dollar spyro game? Take heart, your nemesis could be a dumbass :)

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']
Lol, somebody needs a handscanner to pay four dollars for a seven dollar spyro game? Take heart, your nemesis could be a dumbass :)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know he doesn't know what he is buying. ;) He is the guy that missed the factory sealed Cosby Show Complete Series for $5 that I bought last year! The biggest problem I have is keeping my mouth shut when people say "What was he doing?" or "Why was that guy scanning our stuff?"

[quote name='slowdive21']Oh, I know he doesn't know what he is buying. ;) He is the guy that missed the factory sealed Cosby Show Complete Series for $5 that I bought last year! The biggest problem I have is keeping my mouth shut when people say "What was he doing?" or "Why was that guy scanning our stuff?"[/QUOTE]

He's cheating! He's cheating!:rofl:I would start getting aggressive with the guy, snuggle up to the seller and say if he doesn't make a good offer I'll outbid him \\:D/

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back