Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='slowdive21']I picked up the 11th hour either last year or the beginning of this year, so it is nice to have both games. It is complete with the VHS tape too.

Where are you at in Illinois? (approximately)[/QUOTE]

In LaSalle County. I'm about 2 hours south of Chicago.

[quote name='Tsel']In LaSalle County. I'm about 2 hours south of Chicago.[/QUOTE]

That's good we are in different territories! :)
Do you run into a alot of dealers down there? The Sandwich flea market is in LaSalle county isn't it? Actually that might be DeKalb county.

Since the poll indicates that people want to see stuff other than games, I'll post a few of my notable finds from the weekend (some are shipping out tomorrow):

In terms of DVDs, these are the kind I really look for. I've just sold the Chaplin set for $20 . . . I paid $3.33 for it. The guy selling these has a home improvement biz but does storage auctions on the side. I chatted with him a little . . . he had a ton of DVDs and wanted $5 each. I picked out 6 (including Double Indemnity which I already shipped--sold for $12) and I paid $20 for all 6.

The Tarzan set was cool because it was at about 10am on Saturday (cold and raining here) and I found this digging through a milk crate with just junk in it. Paid $2 but it sold today for $36 :)

These I would do as many times as I can find them. You have to dig through Barney, Elmo and the Wiggles but people let them go for cheap. I also had Cars but it shipped on Sat. Toy Story got $10 and Donald netted $12.

I probably should have held this Biology software until Fall to see where the price goes--likely will go up. But it sold in about 24 hrs for $22 and it cost me $2. A quick flip vs. greater profit later???

I'm hoping to find a nice MP3 player soon. I love my Sansa Fuze (for audiobooks) but it is getting pretty rough from use. I saw this Shuffle . . .

Its a 1 GB and was marked $25 . . . I offered $10 and he countered $15. I set it down and said I would only do $10 and he agreed. It syncs nicely. I might just flip it because I prefer having a screen to check chapters (looks like it would get $25) . . . or it might be alright for my kids . . . or just having tunes in the car.

[quote name='slowdive21']OK weather held out, so I was able to snap some pics...

Star Wars Mighty mugg and R2 .25 each. Lego Batman Mr. Freezes FREE
6b9a3466.jpg

Star Wars happy meal toys .25 each.

4e07b98c.jpg

Star Wars galactic heroes $1 total (next 2 pics at same sale)

4d946d12.jpg

Twilight game in tin SEALED $1

574cadf0.jpg

DDR PS2 with Konami mat $3. I thought it was worth it since it had the Konami mat. I usually only see madcatz.

ba694582.jpg

Pilates DVD SEALED .50

1f51d706.jpg

They had crappy PS2 Sports games for $3 each. These N64 games were .50 each

942ca354.jpg

FREE!!

86bb8cad.jpg

FREE at a different sale! The Diablo II says it works on European servers, so I am not sure if it is some kind of bootleg or what. It has a CD key on the case though.

446a94c1.jpg

Paid $9 for these. The gameboy is a clear purplish color.

7496379c.jpg

Phillips 4 way switches SEALED $1 each. I figured these would be good for my old CRT TV to hook up old consoles. (I forgot to go back to buy the rest). They cost around $20 each still on Amazon.

412782d1.jpg

Same sale 2 vintage football games with manuals $1 each

58b6209e.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I got Kings Quest VI at a bag sale a couple weeks ago but I don't really mention PC games here cause I give them all to my friend who wants them.

[quote name='slowdive21']That's good we are in different territories! :)
Do you run into a alot of dealers down there? The Sandwich flea market is in LaSalle county isn't it? Actually that might be DeKalb county.[/QUOTE]

There's quite a few sales around here when the time is right. And I wouldn't know about the Sandwich Flea Market. We had a flea market in Peru that was only open on weekends, but barely got any activity. It closed down recently.

[quote name='slowdive21']Glad to see you found some stuff...I was getting worried![/QUOTE]

Nothing to worry about, I don't have enough time to post everything I find . . . I don't even have enough time to post everything I sell (just sold a $70 textbook that I picked up Sat. morning). Its just that I'm finding much in terms of games.

Here's a wierd one. I bought this Blackberry phone thinking that it would be a good flip . . . but its not.

If anyone wants it, I will sell it at cost. It was $20 but I paid $10. Its in great shape and charged up nicely and works . . . but if you try to use it, it only offers to set up service. It is US Celluar.

I will ship it to anyone who wants it for $12.

Last edited by a moderator:
List it on eBay? Just looked it up and if that is the curve it seems US Cellular Curves sell for roughly $35 before fees of course.

[quote name='jaydepps']List it on eBay? Just looked it up and if that is the curve it seems US Cellular Curves sell for roughly $35 before fees of course.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'll try ebaying it . . . but I hate ebay. With my luck it will 1st go without bids and then when I relist it will sell but I won't get paid and then I'll just put it on the shelf and in 2 years it will go to Goodwill. :)

[quote name='schultzed']I guess I'll try ebaying it . . . but I hate ebay. With my luck it will 1st go without bids and then when I relist it will sell but I won't get paid and then I'll just put it on the shelf and in 2 years it will go to Goodwill. :)[/QUOTE]

I usually don't pick stuff like this up (since I used to work for VZW). You will have to check the electronic serial number to see if it is reported stolen. If the ESN has been suspended, it can not be activated anymore.

OK here are the rest of my finds all from the same sale.

These were in $1 (2) bags, but I bought them because of the Ghostbusters and visionaries guy.

d3d97523.jpg

Misc games because they were cheap with nice cases.

fe40379a.jpg

VHS .25 each. I thought some of them might be wroth something since they are oddball. The top row are still sealed. Xmen brings some cash on amazon. (Oh I also found out my Phillips Switches from my last post go for $35 on amazon, so that is a bonus).

778badc8.jpg

Berserk and Zaxxon $1 each

e028a061.jpg

6624b6a8.jpg

CASIO SK-1 Sampling Keyboard $2

00d2360e.jpg

TIE for the find of the week:

SEALED Godzilla vs Smog Monster VHS .25

d13fc74d.jpg

There was one on amazon yesterday for $160, it must have sold since amazon does not drop off listings anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Vs-S...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1305561019&sr=8-1

AND

Omnibot in box

4563e5cb.jpg

a2010b3b.jpg

bff6ec63.jpg

bdbb18c6.jpg

30e212a5.jpg

0732279c.jpg

They had "make an offer" on him and checked pricing on ebay with their mobile phone. When I asked what do you think they said $30. I countered with $20 for everything. SOLD!

All the games I got this week have been happy with the outcome. Everything tested to playability and I didn't have to resurface. OK all but 2 but they were sports games so I will not be resurfacing them as its not worth the time or effort on $0.99 games. I will use the cases for others games that are lacking.

Good finds everyone!

I am curious how many of you sell games in a retail location? How do you price your games out?

I have been pricing my games according to GS and dropping $0.50 for games between $1.50 and $9.99 or $1.00 on more expensive games. This has seemed to work for me in the past. The other games are a little harder to price but I try to view what they are selling for online and match it on most titles.

[quote name='kube00']What does an omnibot sell for?[/QUOTE]

There is a wide range depending on condition. Mine is missing the AC/Adaptor. It is probably worth about $100 in its current state, but they sell for up to $500 or so.

EDIT: If I can get one in better shape, I will drop it in this one's box!

[quote name='slowdive21']There is a wide range depending on condition. Mine is missing the AC/Adaptor. It is probably worth about $100 in its current state, but they sell for up to $500 or so.

EDIT: If I can get one in better shape, I will drop it in this one's box![/QUOTE]

Yeah you should save the box. The box's are always worth money.

Nice find on the Omnibot! Man, I remember begging my folks for one of those....never happened. Also great find on the board games! I love those old board-based-on-video-games.

00d2360e.jpg

I got the same keyboard from Christmas years ago from my dad. Batteries were left in it and corroded the contacts and doesn't work any more though. Thought I might pull it out of the box one of these days and see if it was fixable.

Ok just got back from Salvation Army and I got a boxed GB Hunter. I had never heard of them and cant find what they are worth. I paid 3.00 for it so I think I did OK. They had a few sports titles for the XBOX but they wonted 3 each so I passed.

Sorry pic didn't come out well but have any of you seen one of these before? Was $3.00 worth it?

678a0044.jpg

The only one I saw on eBay didn't sell and was listed in the 30's so I know its not worth that much.

I hit a Pawn Shop on my way home (sorry no pics) and purchased the following for the PSP. God of War: Chains of olympus, God of War Ghost of Sparta, and Call of Duty roads to victory. I was thinking they were all $20.00 games and I can get that for 2 of them but one of them is only going for $13 so I am not that bad. I went buy GS prices wich I try to beet by $1.00 on most things. I only paid $30+Tax (will get tax back) so I didn't do good or bad.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']
00d2360e.jpg

I got the same keyboard from Christmas years ago from my dad. Batteries were left in it and corroded the contacts and doesn't work any more though. Thought I might pull it out of the box one of these days and see if it was fixable.[/QUOTE]

It should be fixable if you just sand the contacts with a nail file or some other sort of sandpaper. You can try to clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol or coca cola first but I find the sanding method works great for most contacts since it strips off the corrosion completely. Make sure you also bend the contacts into place depending on what type of contacts some of them get bent down real far and then the batteries don't make a good connection.

[quote name='slowdive21']

SEALED Godzilla vs Smog Monster VHS .25

d13fc74d.jpg

There was one on amazon yesterday for $160, it must have sold since amazon does not drop off listings anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Vs-S...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1305561019&sr=8-1

[/QUOTE]

I've looked at archived Amazon data (from last Friday) . . . there was one for $168 out there but I don't think it sold because the sales rank would have shifted to a lower number. The sales rank was at 18,000 (when the new one was available) and now it is 21,500 . . . if the $168 one sold, the rank would have gotten lower.

But this is a great tape for selling . . . I've sold it in the past. Oddly enough people don't realize that its available on DVD . . . just with a different name. But its also not a fast seller. I'd put a sealed copy at about $59.99 . . . maybe as high as $99 and hope that someone buys it on impulse.

[quote name='schultzed']I've looked at archived Amazon data (from last Friday) . . . there was one for $168 out there but I don't think it sold because the sales rank would have shifted to a lower number. The sales rank was at 18,000 (when the new one was available) and now it is 21,500 . . . if the $168 one sold, the rank would have gotten lower.

But this is a great tape for selling . . . I've sold it in the past. Oddly enough people don't realize that its available on DVD . . . just with a different name. But its also not a fast seller. I'd put a sealed copy at about $59.99 . . . maybe as high as $99 and hope that someone buys it on impulse.[/QUOTE]

Would 1 copy change the amazon rank? now it is 21,617
Yeah, I think people either don't realize it was re-released or they want the original title.

She actually has it on amazon Canada now, unless it is on a delay.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000R0EB1M/new

I will probably throw it up for some obscene amount just to see if someone buys it.

EDIT: scratch that, I think she may have closed her store. I can not find any of her other items.

[quote name='slowdive21']Would 1 copy change the amazon rank? [/QUOTE]

Amazon ranks are constantly shifting. If a book hasn't sold for a year, it will have a rank of somthing like 2,000,000 to 3,000,000 . . . if a copy sells . . . it will jump up and be in the 100,000 range for a day and then (if it doesn't sell again) it will start making its way back up.

[quote name='slowdive21']There is a wide range depending on condition. Mine is missing the AC/Adaptor. It is probably worth about $100 in its current state, but they sell for up to $500 or so.

EDIT: If I can get one in better shape, I will drop it in this one's box![/QUOTE]

OMNIBOT!!! I had one of those. Sold mine on eBay many years ago; it was complete in box and generally mint as well.

Lots of sales in St. Peters today. No finds. I've even resorted to checking out sales that advertise "games" hoping that maybe they don't mean board games. Loads of baby clothes and kid junk. Meh. Not gonna stop me from trying.

Just had surgery on Tuesday left arms in a sling. Ehh doesn't seem to be many sales this week, or anything interesting other than a sale advertising Comics. Maybe I'll just check out the flea market close to my house. Last week was chatting with a seller said they had "a bunch" of Playstation and Nintendo stuff that they'd bring with them so I could check it out.

There's already a few signs posted around town for fri-sat yard sales, I'll have to go out and hit some of them tomorrow.

I hit a few Thursday sales . . . I bought some Beer signs . . . WTF was I thinking? I'll see about posting pics of the signs later.

Anyway, my primary find today:

I forgot to put the Game Genie, link cable and X-men . . . so I made a second pic.

This was all packed in the cases (so, I thought it was only the cases) and marked $30 for all . . . so I offered $20 which was accepted.

I'm trying to charge the battery pack. Using the power adapter, both work but only one has sound. Only instruction books for MK, X-men, and Defenders.

[quote name='schultzed']I hit a few Thursday sales . . . I bought some Beer signs . . . WTF was I thinking? I'll see about posting pics of the signs later.[/QUOTE]

I've been keeping my eye out for Shiner and Fat Tire ones, since that's what I drink 90% of the time now. No luck so far.

[quote name='schultzed']I hit a few Thursday sales . . . I bought some Beer signs . . . WTF was I thinking? I'll see about posting pics of the signs later.

Anyway, my primary find today:

I forgot to put the Game Genie, link cable and X-men . . . so I made a second pic.

This was all packed in the cases (so, I thought it was only the cases) and marked $30 for all . . . so I offered $20 which was accepted.

I'm trying to charge the battery pack. Using the power adapter, both work but only one has sound. Only instruction books for MK, X-men, and Defenders.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a great start for the weekend!

Good start to the weekend today:

First up, the game finds: two stops in this pic, one had the xbox 360 games for $1 each. They were mixed in with original xbox games, nothing exciting. These 2 will be headed to Gamestop as soon as I find a third cheap game to put with 'em to get the extra $10. :) Another stop had the PS1. First I asked to buy some games sepertely which was refused. She said it all had to go together, and she wanted $20. I put down the 2 final fantasy games and walked around the rest of the sale. didn't see anything else, so offered her $15 for the whole thing which was accepted. I figure I'll flip the FF's seperately, and put up the system and commons for cheap.

IMG_1753.jpg

Found 14 Audio books on CD at another sale. Offered $1 each if I bought all he had, which was accepted. Gonna load some of these onto my ipod before I flip 'em.

IMG_1751.jpg

and one of the last sales of the day: lady was selling her entire E.T. collection. She had 4 rubbermaid totes full, mostly stuffed animal type E.T.s I know E.T. stuff is not a big seller, but for nostalgia I picked out this stuff...if it sells great, if not, I won't be all that upset. The lunchbox had the thermos in it, and was surprised when I got home and opend it up, all the pins/buttons were inside the thermos. She had the PS1 game sealed in that big plastic packaging, but I was surprised not to find the atari 2600 game! Picked out the board game, colorforms set, boxed night light (his heart glows) pull string talker (talks but hard to understand except when he says 'ouch!') and inflatable ET, I got the collection for $12

IMG_1754.jpg

There's 2 estate sales advertised for tomorrow, so hoping for some good finds.

[quote name='elessar123']I've been keeping my eye out for Shiner and Fat Tire ones, since that's what I drink 90% of the time now. No luck so far.[/QUOTE]

lol I see Fat Tire every once in a while...as I am in their backyard...
I have one of the original neon signs, neon intacked but stoppped working ...

Here is the non find summary for those who want 'the real GS experience'.

Today and yesterday were rough. I thought I had pink eye, so I was wearing sunglasses even when it was cloudy as my eye was swollen shut. Turns out no pinkeye, but my eye will still be swollen for a couple more days.

I find I am not as good of a negotiator if I can not look people in the eye. Some of my morning offers were not as good as I would have liked.

2 scanners beat me to one side of town, so everything media related with a UPC was picked over. I did manage to find one game that I was glad didn't have its case...

I also got up and hit a sale that was supposed to have xbox and 360 games, turns out she didn't have any since her son changed his mind about selling them.

I also had 2 rude sets of homeowners that complained I was at their sale early, though they had already posted signs on a major intersection. (For those who do not know, garage sale code is: The sale is open if a sign is out).

A chick beat me to a castle greyskull and several he-man guys today, so that pissed me off.

There are not many new sales tomorrow, but I may still go out.

All of that said, I did manage to buy a lot of stuff this weekend!

Nice find on the E.T. lunch box. The old metal lunch boxes have been gaining some value, particularly if you have the thermos. I'm hoping to find some Star Wars or Dukes of Hazzard to replace the ones I had as a kid.

Have a highway sale I'm going to tomorrow, so hopefully I will get some nice finds. Unfortunatly it started Friday so most stuff will be picked over by the resalers.

^ Love it

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Four Swords GBA
Oddworld Adventures GB
$4 total, carts only

The Usual Suspects Special Edition DVD
$1

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut Blu-Ray
$3

True Blood Season 1 DVD
25 cents

Lots of sales, but not much good stuff.

[quote name='Shazyzang']True Blood Season 1 DVD
25 cents

[/QUOTE]

Nice deal, who the hell would sell a multi-disc DVD set for .25?

Slowdive . . . sorry to hear about your troubles.

I did alright on Friday but Saturday kind of a bust.

It'll take some time to report all.

Every week I had been reading here and elsewhere, learning more, getting more experience and then this week I stayed up until 6:30AM gaming haha. Oh well hopefull I still have a long season in front of me.

"Hi girls, what are your prices on these common comic books from the 1990s?"

"$10."

"For the whole stack?"

"$10 each."

*curses and jeers incredulously*
That pretty much drove me indoors, but I had some interesting finds nonetheless (most non-gaming, which makes us cry).

Lab Manual for Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Technology, 6th edition - $1
Too bad there was no hardback textbook to go along with this. :hot:

Celebrity Death Match ps1 - $1 (How bad can it be?)

Sarah Brightman's La Luna and Time to Say Goodbye, both sealed - $3

Game Boy Advance Indigo console CIB with Super Mario Advance - $5
(This find kept me going, sure as shootin')

pokemon heart gold and soulsilver guide - $1
(There was a Pokemon Platinum guide at the sale too, but it was too FUBARed to fool with)

The following CDs for $4:
Norah Jones: Come Away with Me
Ozzy Osbourne: Blizzard of Ozz (small square cover)
The Best of the Doors
Deep Purple: Machine Head

Cassettes for 50 cents:

Montrose
Mike + the Mechanics

Perhaps my weirdest find for the day was a box of fairly modern archeological & anthropological texts mixed up with intellectual sex books. I'm guessing the guy bought them up from a storage locker...they just seemed too oddball to pass up. The price for all? $3. I'm going to check them out right now! :bouncy:

Well, the sex books for the most part turn out to be losers (even though Soiled Doves: Prostitution in the Early West looks like an interesting niche read). However, some of the titles on the Middle Ages and Roman history may have more than hay and goats behind their doors...

http://www.amazon.com/Story-Middle-Ages-Box-Set/dp/B000RO7W78
(This is the set that got me digging in the first place)

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Medieval-Europe-David-Ditchburn/dp/0415344549/
(Mine's an older edition hardcover, maybe list it at $20-30?)

http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Medicine-Revealing-History-Audrey/dp/0752414615/

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Life-Ancient-Rome-People/dp/1443729825/
(Mine's the 2004 edition, has a nice cover illustration though).

There about a dozen more $8-10 books; I'd be sweet to pull $100 outta the whole lot.

Went to my last late yard sale today. The guy had all types of board games ranging from Sonic to The Flinstone, bunch of comic books, legos, and pretty much anyone looking to collect. Then in the corner of my eye i notice a box full of genesis / dreamcast games, but most of them are all commons or i already have them. Then I looked around more, and i found a whole bunch of common PS1 games. While I was looking, the person who was in charge of the yard sale ask me if i was interested in some NES games and of course i said yes. He had a box of NES games, mostly common except for Snow Bros, 2 beat up NES with bunch of controllers and cords, a yellow SNES with bunch of controllers and cords, and the Robot. I offer him to take the NES, robo, and snow brothers for $30 cause thats all I had with me. He was thinking for awhile, and then he took out his phone (BIG SIGH....)to see how much the robot was and he told me it was going for a lot on ebay. I told him that it was missing some parts and he wasn't sure it was working or not so I counter offer (even lower) for the robot and snow brother and again he was thinking for 5 min. Eventually he decided to sell it to me for $20.

Went home to try it out the robot and it doesn't work. There were some battery corrosion, hopefully i can fix that.

Picked up the following
Nintendo robot and snow brothers - 20.00
3 Transformers (1 of them is optimus prime) - $10

photo2.jpg

izn7g4.jpg

9hpabo.jpg

2e1rakp.jpg

Yard sales:

True Blood Season 1
Weeds Season 1
Weeds Season 2 (no slipcover)
Weeds Season 3
Weeds Season 4
Heroes Season 1
Jericho Season 1
Boston Legal Season 1
Boston Legal Season 3
Boston Legal Season 4
Boston Legal Season 5
The Practice Vol 1
The Shield Season 4
The Shield Season 5
The Shield Season 6
The Sopranos Season 6 Part 2
The Sixth Sense Vista Series
Firefly Complete Series
Cars
$32

PS2 + Xbox - $17
Wonder Boy - $1
Star Wars Force Unleashed - $1
HAWX 2 + Nascar 09 = $12

and the best find of the day..
Nascar Racing 2003 Season - $3

[quote name='darkslime']and the best find of the day..
Nascar Racing 2003 Season - $3[/QUOTE]

Why is this valued so high? I'm glad to learn its value . . . I wouldn't have given that game a 2nd look before.

It is a good time to buy DVDs and DVD sets . . . most people don't value them highly anymore.

I'd put that Boston Legal together as a set and sell them here:

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Legal-...SMY0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1306006099&sr=8-6

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Medieval-Europe-David-Ditchburn/dp/0415344549/
(Mine's an older edition hardcover, maybe list it at $20-30?)
[/QUOTE]

Make sure you use ISBNs when listing on Amazon . . . so, if your book is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Medieval-Europe-David-Ditchburn/dp/0415019230/ref=tmm_hrd_title_1

or the other one this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Life-Ancient-Rome-People/dp/0300101864/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

You need to list there.

The other advice I'd give with academic titles is to hold off (set them aside) and check them in Fall (late Aug - early Sept.).

Some books jump up in value when the semester starts. For example, I've sold this book for around $30 in late Aug. but it looks like a $10 book right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195118359/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

If I had a copy on hand, I wouldn't even list it until then. There hasn't been a newer edition, so it should bounce up when the college demand increases. Some of your books might be like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by darkslime
and the best find of the day..
Nascar Racing 2003 Season - $3

[quote name='schultzed']Why is this valued so high? I'm glad to learn its value . . . I wouldn't have given that game a 2nd look before.
[/QUOTE]

+1 I don't even look at NASCAR or sports titles, I guess I should start.

Looking forward to everyone's pics. Jedikiller that is a cool ET lot!

So here is what i bought Today

Legend of Zelda: Oricana Of Time N64 Instruction Booklet .50

Myst With Journal of Myst and Guide 0.50 PC

Duke Nukem Kill-a-Ton collection with Gamewizards guide and Disc. 0.50

TimeLapse 4 disc's with guide 0.50

For FREE Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Prima guide gold Edition, Instruction Book, and Mission Pack instrution book. also a Free vitamin water.

Really siked about the instruction book to Zelda. Always sucked at it untill now.

Story for them:

My family and i went Garage saleing and found this huge combo of sales. The first one we bought at sold me the instruction book fo 0.50 because he sold the game already.
The lady i got everything ese from gave me the vitamin water Because her husband worked for Coke and if coke gets overstock they give the extras to the employes to give to people to advertise... but anyway she sold me the games for 1/2 off for no reason and i got the Rainbow six stuff out of the recycling because she was throwing it away. I WON!!!!!

[quote name='schultzed']Make sure you use ISBNs when listing on Amazon . . . so, if your book is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Medieval-Europe-David-Ditchburn/dp/0415019230/ref=tmm_hrd_title_1

or the other one this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Life-Ancient-Rome-People/dp/0300101864/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

You need to list there.

The other advice I'd give with academic titles is to hold off (set them aside) and check them in Fall (late Aug - early Sept.).

Some books jump up in value when the semester starts. For example, I've sold this book for around $30 in late Aug. but it looks like a $10 book right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195118359/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

If I had a copy on hand, I wouldn't even list it until then. There hasn't been a newer edition, so it should bounce up when the college demand increases. Some of your books might be like this.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice :) So far I've been pretty good about staying in category (college students I know would naturally get ticked if they ordered a book and found it wasn't exactly the one they needed). In some cases though it might not be as critical to jump category; for instance with old radio books the buyers don't care so much about edition, so if there's a 3rd edition for $40 on page one of the search and a 1st edition for $90 on page five...I might list my 1st edition for $35 on the page one listing and just make a note of which edition they're getting right off the bat. Depends on the situation, and yes I'll definitely have to be careful when listing some of these. :cool:

The interesting thing here is that some of the more valuable books don't look like the regular college textbook, rather they are put out by an organization called the London Folio Society. A quick websearch seems indicate that they're in the business of selling expensive books with the aim of looking pretty on someone's bookshelf. I guess I'll see whether these things actually sell or if they're like some species of Encyclopedia Britannica :D

http://www.foliosociety.com/our-books

(I wonder if the "F" in their logo is reinforce the notion that you're getting fucked when you shell out $200 for 3-4 books :rofl:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back