Official 2011 Yard Sale Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post 1

Here is post 2 of 4 (I thought I only had 3 this week). :dunce:

Earthworm Jim VHS, Gargoyles, Aladdin puzzle/little golden book (SEALED)
.25 each

32ae1e65.jpg

Pokemon cards, Cinderella VHS (SEALED, going on amazon), Penguin DVD (SEALED) $1 total

c844876c.jpg

Transformers toys and Star Wars Han Solo Stormtrooper $1 total

1e767c0e.jpg

Misc Video games $1 each

7609176e.jpg

More video games $1 each and Grey's Anatomy Season 1 (SEALED) also $1

7aafa8f3.jpg

Misc Toys Ultimate Warrior, Skeletor, Scare Glow (this is a good one, even though he is missing his accessories) $1 total

0457937a.jpg

More to come! :bouncy:

[quote name='baz8771']Might be a bit of an odd question....

How do you guys plan out your trips? Is there a website that gives you a map of your area that you can place pins on when you see them on craigslist, or something like that? I just have a hard time keeping myself from running around and I end up going across town and back without even noticing.[/QUOTE]

We use mostly the newspaper. Ads here are expensive though so it pays to drive around a bit and look for unadvertised sales (follow the signs). Try to find a few sales in the same area and usually you will find more than you bargained for. We probably find 2-5 unadvertised sales per week at least. The unadvertised sales will most always have lower prices than an advertised sale. As far as neighborhoods you pretty much have to know the streets, where they are or have a GPS unit though I am not sure how helpful that would be, you would probably have to program it with a very specific route before you leave the house.

There is an app for iPod touch/iphone/iPad called garage sale rover that has pins on it I assume it takes the data from craigslist but it will not show ads that were advertised in your local paper or unadvertised sales.

I tend to compile a "Top 10" list of sales that I would like to hit (I know the rough area of where each one is beforehand though, so I mentally plan my route). Then I hit random sales on the way between each sale on my top 10. I have found pretty good results this way, as hitting advertised sales past 10am or so generally yields very little. After that, its all random sales for me, just about. You'd be surprised what you can find just driving around town!

Do the people who read this thread ever have dreams about finding that crazy yard sale, the one that you find games for all systems at 50 cents each? I have one normally once a week. And it's not like PS3 games in a bucket for a quarter a piece, it's realistic. Last night I had one where I filled a 15 gallon rubbermaid tub with SNES and N64 games at 50 cents a piece, then I ended up finding a box for donkey kong country and an N64 with an expansion pack.

It's just funny that I have very lucid dreams about it and wonder if im the only one :p

Except if you live here everyone is just setting up at 10am, I went out last week before 10am because it was really hot and at one sale they just started to set up. A few were fully set up but you could see that they just started.

The only thing that kills it is hitting a 2 day sale on the second day, unless you can get there on the first day. If you want to hit a 2 day sale on the second day you should save those for last and then hit the ones that just started on the day you are going first.

[quote name='baz8771']Do the people who read this thread ever have dreams [/QUOTE]

I don't think I've had dreams about rummage (but I will now). I do have day dreams like you are talking about. Maybe I'll find a sale . . .

For me, it wouldn't have to be super cheap games but rather super games at good prices.

About the route and planning. I agree that the best thing is to have an agenda with some priority sales and then roll with it after that finding the weird little sale here or there.

Sara makes a good point that some of the slackers don't set up early so you have to keep rolling and stay on major streets as much as possible. The positive about a second day is that people might be more flexible on prices. I wonder if when you see the PSP system for $80 . . . maybe you could get it for $40 (or less) later on the second day.

Overall, I get some of my best stuff at the unadvertised sales and also the poorly advertised. It seems when I sale looks really good in an ad, it is either, so-so in reality or hit hard and early by others.

Here's an example from last Aug of just stopping at every sale you can find (page 64 of the 2010 thread) this was a small sale later in the day and I'm willing to bet that it didn't start until after 10:

"I was done and wanting to head home. I followed one crappy little sign to this sale in a poor neighborhood. I spot this bin of games and see a handwritten sign that says .50 each. I pulled out this group:

So, I'm thinking is it really 5.00 per game? But these 2 kids (12 or 13) were hot to sell them for .50 each. There was a chainsmoking mom nearby . . . she didn't object. I decided not to ask any questions. As I paid ($7.50), I saw this group of 5 games duct taped together and offered $5 for them. I think that one kid was a neighbor.

NBA Courtside (not pictured) had no disc, so I paid $4 for these GC titles."

Last edited by a moderator:
Post 1
Post 2

I've been holding back. On to the good stuff...

RISK 2210 and TMNT Technodrome Scout Vehicle $2 total

05252668.jpg

Comics $1 each. 1st appearance of Hellboy :)whee:), old Thor books, John Byrne Marvel Team up, etc. All of them are pseudo keys or keys.

6bf836ad.jpg

26202788.jpg

69a3242f.jpg

Pokemon and Namor Toys SEALED $1 total

6710a868.jpg

Trivial Pursuit 80s and Ken Burns Jazz DVD set both SEALED $11 total

cd519ee0.jpg

PS2 and Gamecube lot. $20 total (Rent and Across the universe both SEALED).

Short story. I have never seen this many attractive people at one sale. The Mom and 3 daughters were all pretty. I asked about videogames and at first they said they didn't have any, but when I talked to them more they said they may have some individual games to sell. They came out with the PS2 and games. The PS2 is missing the power cord, but they have my number in case they find it. One of the daughters said, we also have some junky gamecube games and brought out the ones in the picture...

119a1aae.jpg

43380327.jpg

5c987699.jpg

One more post to go. My final post will be dedicated to my find of the week. Here is a sneak peek.
25d792bd.jpg

:bouncy:

Last weekend's finds:

NES The Little Mermaid (complete), $2
NES Max controller, $1
PSX Blazing Dragons (complete), $2
PSX Herc's Adventures (disc only), $1

XB360 Fallout New Vegas (missing manual)
XBOX Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (complete), $10 for both

NES Metroid, Pinball Quest, Super Mario Bros., 75¢ for all
NES Castlevania, Kid Niki, $1.50 for both

XBOX Steel Battalion (complete) with controller/pedals, $12

Neo Geo Pocket Color (missing AA battery cover)
NGPC Bust-A-Move Pocket, $2 for both

XB360 Smash Court Tennis 3 (new & sealed)
XB360 MLB 2K8 (new & sealed), $3 for both
PSX Digimon World (disc only)
PSX Spice World (complete)
PSX G-Police (missing manual)
PSX Ehrgeiz (missing rear insert and guts from manual), $2.50 for all
PSX Resident Evil 2 (complete)
DC Silver (complete)
DC Seaman (complete, game only), $6 for all

PC Alice (missing manual), $2
TI-83 Plus (x2, with guide book), $5 for all
Super Mario Bros. Wii trading cards (x4, new & sealed), $1 for all

Favorite finds from this bunch include Alice (I want to see what all the fuss is about), Silver for DC (love being able to cross another DC game off my list), and Herc's Adventures. I remember playing this game with a friend of mine way back in the day, when he rented it from Blockbuster. Great game.

This past weekend's stuff coming shortly...

[quote name='allyourblood']XBOX Steel Battalion (complete) with controller/pedals, $12
[/QUOTE]

Damn good find.

I had one that I got new at EB Games with credit . . . I figured I paid $50-60 out of pocket to get it. But I only played it a few times (found the controller to be a big, big pain to have around) and sold it off for a good profit.

I've only seen one once at a rummage sale (a year ago) . . . I got all excited until I saw they wanted $100+ for it . . . "cuz we looked 'er up on ebay."

[quote name='schultzed']Damn good find.

I had one that I got new at EB Games with credit . . . I figured I paid $50-60 out of pocket to get it. But I only played it a few times (found the controller to be a big, big pain to have around) and sold it off for a good profit.

I've only seen one once at a rummage sale (a year ago) . . . I got all excited until I saw they wanted $100+ for it . . . "cuz we looked 'er up on ebay."[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

It's actually my third controller so far, and second copy of the game. I now have two with blue buttons, and one with green buttons. The whole affair is taking up a ton of space, so I need to sell or trade the extras as soon as possible. I must confess I've never even tried to play it. My Xbox is almost never hooked up, and when it is, I always forget to try this thing out.

[quote name='allyourblood']I must confess I've never even tried to play it. My Xbox is almost never hooked up, and when it is, I always forget to try this thing out.[/QUOTE]

I had mine in its box on a shelf in the basement for months (wish I had never opened it and still had it). Then I busted it out and set it up and started playing. It was cool but the learning curve was huge. I probably played it 3 times but it was worse than Rock Band to store. I packed it back up nicely and sold it on Amazon (something like $200-250) about 5 years ago. I was so excited by the whole concept but my system was in the living room and I couldn't just keep it out.

Now with the original Xbox so cheap, maybe I could have one set up in my basement with the controller . . . but nah . . . just too much hassle.

If I had one to sell, I'd probably include a "free" Xbox system with it ;-)

[quote name='allyourblood']Thanks!

It's actually my third controller so far, and second copy of the game. I now have two with blue buttons, and one with green buttons. The whole affair is taking up a ton of space, so I need to sell or trade the extras as soon as possible. I must confess I've never even tried to play it. My Xbox is almost never hooked up, and when it is, I always forget to try this thing out.[/QUOTE]

I am insanely jealous of you right now! I WISH I could find one at that price. How much would you sell it for? I might be interested : D

[quote name='allyourblood']
XBOX Steel Battalion (complete) with controller/pedals, $12
[/QUOTE]

Wow that is a nice find! It seems to be a pretty rare game. :applause:

The only thing that would be better is if it were complete with all the original packaging...

BOOM

1f2839e0.jpg

2f8a7a12.jpg

96fa3d7a.jpg

a7f69bb5.jpg

ed4ecd92.jpg

b167e1fc.jpg

0999ffcd.jpg

:booty:

Wanted $40 and wouldn't budge the first day. I came back the second day and he would only go $35. The last day I got there when they opened because he told me his wife was running the sale on Saturday.

Offered $20 for it, she countered with $30.

Me: "I would really only like to spend $20."

Her: "I can wake my husband up and see if he will take $20."

Me: "It's not that big of a deal. I don't need it."

Her: "How about $25, and I won't have to wake him up?"

Me: "Sounds good"

:bouncy:

[quote name='schultzed']I don't think I've had dreams about rummage (but I will now). I do have day dreams like you are talking about. Maybe I'll find a sale . . .

For me, it wouldn't have to be super cheap games but rather super games at good prices.

About the route and planning. I agree that the best thing is to have an agenda with some priority sales and then roll with it after that finding the weird little sale here or there.

Sara makes a good point that some of the slackers don't set up early so you have to keep rolling and stay on major streets as much as possible. The positive about a second day is that people might be more flexible on prices. I wonder if when you see the PSP system for $80 . . . maybe you could get it for $40 (or less) later on the second day.

Overall, I get some of my best stuff at the unadvertised sales and also the poorly advertised. It seems when I sale looks really good in an ad, it is either, so-so in reality or hit hard and early by others.

Here's an example from last Aug of just stopping at every sale you can find (page 64 of the 2010 thread) this was a small sale later in the day and I'm willing to bet that it didn't start until after 10:

"I was done and wanting to head home. I followed one crappy little sign to this sale in a poor neighborhood. I spot this bin of games and see a handwritten sign that says .50 each. I pulled out this group:

So, I'm thinking is it really 5.00 per game? But these 2 kids (12 or 13) were hot to sell them for .50 each. There was a chainsmoking mom nearby . . . she didn't object. I decided not to ask any questions. As I paid ($7.50), I saw this group of 5 games duct taped together and offered $5 for them. I think that one kid was a neighbor.

NBA Courtside (not pictured) had no disc, so I paid $4 for these GC titles."[/QUOTE]

You can definitely get stuff cheaper later in the day but you have to take a chance that the games will still be there. I guess if there are overpriced games it wouldn't hurt to roll on back to the sale the second day or very late in the day that had them if its something you really want or if you think you can get it for cheaper especially if its easy to get to or is right on your route. People are most likely to bargain later in the day if their stuff is not selling.

If there is a lot of stuff left at a certain sale on the second day especially if its late that is a good indication of an overpriced sale with sellers that do not wish to budge on any price.

Also later in the season its much easier to get lower prices and people are more likely to take your offers on things. This happens repeatedly every year for me since I live in NY and the yard sale season is very finite. I assume most people plan on having more than one yard sale every year so I guess they price high in may and low in august and september.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Damn, you certainly are ballsy. I'm pretty sure I would have caved originally and paid the $40 :lol:[/QUOTE]

Damn, I'm amazed it lasted. I'm pretty certain that it would be gone the first day in my city . . . even at $50. I would've jumped at $40.

[quote name='schultzed']Damn, I'm amazed it lasted. I'm pretty certain that it would be gone the first day in my city . . . even at $50. I would've jumped at $40.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, I didn't know what it was when I saw it. He had it off to the side (where most people wouldn't see it, but I noticed the Capcom tape on it. I had to go home and look it up before I knew what it was worth (I figured about $80-$100, but I was a little low on my estimate ;)).

The second day I drove by by mistake, so I stopped in to see if he still had it. I looked at it in more detail and I could have sworn he had the other book (see below) with it. It would not have lasted if he had "Steel Battalion" facing out where people could see it was a game. The funny thing is he managed to sell all of his xbox games that I passed on for $5 each. They seemed like junk games, but people still buy them in my area. He said 4 or 5 people came around asking for games. :lol:

[quote name='allyourblood']Ha ha, that's rad! Yeah, I'd love to find the box one of these days. Mainly because it'd be easier to store while still looking good on a shelf! ;)[/QUOTE]

Actually after researching it a bit, I noticed there is also a mech manual type thing that I am missing. It should be about the size of a guide book. I might swing by and see if they still have it laying around somewhere. It is weird that he has everything else in pristine condition except the manual.

[quote name='slowdive21']I noticed there is also a mech manual type thing that I am missing . . . about the size of a guide book. [/QUOTE]

I remember it, its pretty minor like a briefing on the mechs . . . paper and thin pictured here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steel-Battalion...9067?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c1d47a5db

There is a player's guide (which I had and sold separate) which is a good flip. I've daydreamed about finding SB CIB in a thrift shop where they wouldn't know what to make of it and sell it fairly cheap.

Planning my route for tomorrow...There are not many sales listed. There is one that lists a betamax, so that could be fun. Might be a light weekend in terms of sales...Maybe I'll bust out that Megaman collection on PS2 I picked up last weekend!

This most recent weekend's stuff:

N64 Conker's Bad Fur Day
N64 Paper Mario, $10 for both

NES Final Fantasy
SNES Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
GB Pokemon Pikachu Special Edition
GB Pokemon Blue Version, $12 for all

GEN Mega Fire controller (x2), $2 for both
XB360 wired controller, $2
GG Sega Game Gear Gear-to-Gear cable, $1

XB360 Street Fighter IV Tournament Edition Fightstick (missing joystick and buttons), $4

Playstation GameShark (complete)
Game Boy Advance GameShark SP (complete), $3 for both

GBC Shantae, $3

XB360 Assassin's Creed (complete)
DS Soul Bubbles (complete), $5 for both
XB The Bible Game (complete), $1
XB Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (complete), $5
XB Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II (complete), $2
DS Tetris DS (complete), $5
XB Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (missing case), $2.50
XB Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (complete), $1
XB Halo 2 (missing manual), $1

SNES Super Mario World
SNES Mario's Early Years: Fun with Numbers
NES Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure
NES Kid Kool
NES Monster Party
NES Rampart
SNES manuals for Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, Lufia (w/map), $10 for all

Sega Genesis Model 2, Sega CD Model 2, Sega 32X, 3 power cables, RF unit, 32x-to-Genesis cable
Sega CD games: Fahrenheit, Cliffhanger, Ecco the Dolphin, Jurassic park (all complete), Batman Returns & Sewer Shark (disc only)
Genesis games: Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition, Virtua Racing, T2: Terminator 2 Judgment Day (all complete), $15 for all

NES Gun-Nac, $3
GBA Code Breaker (really beat-up), $1

I think my favorite finds for this weekend are pretty obvious, but the gutted Fightstick rises to the top for sure. As far as I can tell, everything is intact aside from the missing controls. I plan on buying replacements and hopefully ending up with a working SFIV Fightstick TE for not a lot of money; I've been waiting for a nice joystick to play Ikaruga with. Figure this thing will probably play nice with games on my PC, as well. I would've killed for the thing to have come complete, but I like the idea of having a project to work on.

I knew Shantae was supposed to be a good game, and it is. Probably one of my favorite platformers on the GB/C, now. Controls are really excellent, and the animations are pretty darn good, too.

I was excited to have found not one, but two Mega Fire controllers for Genesis, after having passed them several times in the past, and regretting it. And finally, finding the map and manual for Lufia was a total tease; no game in sight! Oh well.

allyourblood makes me want to cry pretty much week after week.

I'm screwed this weekend. I checked for Thur listings and there was one. Very few aimed at Friday. Most are going for Sat. But I'm out of action on that day . . . got to go pick up my son from a nerdy summer camp a few hours away.

[quote name='schultzed']allyourblood makes me want to cry pretty much week after week.

I'm screwed this weekend. I checked for Thur listings and there was one. Very few aimed at Friday. Most are going for Sat. But I'm out of action on that day . . . got to go pick up my son from a nerdy summer camp a few hours away.[/QUOTE]

My wife is dragging me to Comic Con this year. Today and tomorrow don't matter (you guys are lucky with your Thurs/Fri sales), but I'm hoping to sneak in a few hours of yard saling before attending on Sat/Sun.

Hey now, schultzed, you've found plenty of killer stuff!

This past weekend was pretty great; it felt like we were having a city-wide yard sale, but it was just a coincidence. It's been a while since I'd seen so many sales... one of those weekends where you'd pull up to a sale, look around, get back in your car and then realize there's another sale four houses down -- and then four houses down from there, and so on.

We must have stopped at a half dozen of these unadvertised "block sales". People were also really friendly, and willing to haggle. I don't think I paid asking price on almost any of that stuff. I'm fully expecting the usual lull after such a great weekend, but hopefully not.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Agreed, I would kill for a complete Genesis that cheap or Shantae.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is that the Sega set-up came in a big, wooden, wine box with a bunch of stuff that didn't go with it: a CD about dealing with depression, a cordless phone handset, a cheap pair of sunglasses, a toy motorcycle and some other randomness. What it didn't include was controllers! I asked if they had any and no one seemed to know where they'd gone. Odd since all of the other cables were still there. It wasn't a big deal -- I have more Genesis controllers than I know what to do with -- but it was weird that they'd gone missing.

[quote name='allyourblood']Hey now, schultzed, you've found plenty of killer stuff!
[/QUOTE]

I'm not complaining. But I do better on media than on games. These were from last weekend but both sold today:

The Ice Cream suit looked like a winner because its so weird. The less you know about a movie the more likely it is worth something (well not always :) The Great Gatsby is sealed. Both nice flips.

This thread always depresses me -- no matter how good my finds are, someone else has found something better. Good on you, chaps. I'm green with envy.

[quote name='sdclippers']Think I'm going start hitting up yard sales in the San Diego area. Any insider tips?[/QUOTE]

Wake up early, hit up a lot of sales, never pay asking price (unless the price marked is already a steal- even then I try not to let on and get it lower).

Never set anything you are on the fence about down, because someone will probably pick it up 3 seconds later.

Get in, gather what you want fairly quickly, negotiate and pay, and get out. Until you pay for what is in your hands, it is not yours yet. I have seen things get sold right out of one customer's hands to another customer.

Other than that, you will pretty much just learn on the fly. Good luck!

Got a Tournament 2000 by Unisonic. Pretty beat up. Asked about video games and she grabbed it from her shed as soon as I saw it I wasn't too interested in it nor the asking price ($20) so I said screw it I'll go way lower if she says no than I'm in the clear. So I say, "I was thinking $5" she takes it... dammit!

Good advice Floopy . . . I've learned the hard way to grab things I want immediately . . . I've lingered and lost.

[quote name='jaysapathy']This thread always depresses me -- no matter how good my finds are, someone else has found something better. [/QUOTE]

And this discontent works on two levels . . . comparision to the finds of others but also to your own past finds. I love the phrase "chasing the dragon" as a way to capture this. The thrill of the find is so pure and great that its absence is almost painful. There's always the chance that the next sale will be a better one but it almost never is. Its really an illness ;-)

Nice definition of chasing the dragon here:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chasing+the+dragon

Today's Update: My Nemesis beat me to some PS2 games, but I pretty much beat him to every other sale. I did better than I thought I would today and I didn't pass out so that was a plus. ;)

Tomorrow there is a sale (with a n64 and a genesis) starting at 8AM far far away, but I think I am going to try to make it there. I'll have to get out the door by 7AM. Must chase the Dragon...:drool:

[quote name='schultzed'] Its really an illness ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Now take that 'illness' to the next level.... It's the end of the month, so storage auctions are in full swing here. 3 locations last week, 3 this week and 2 at the start of next week. Bought one small locker last week, but yesterday was a perfect example of 'chasing the dragon' The location had published the names and addresses of the people who were in default on the lockers being auctioned. Anytime I see that info in the legal listings, I take the time to google the name and address to see what I can find out about the person. One name stood out to me at yesterdays auction: found info that the man was 87 years old and originally from west virginia, and he had defaulted on 2 lockers. I have found some wonderful antiques that have sold very well for me in lockers owned by the elderly, so I was zeroed in on those 2 lockers at the auction. The first of the two was a 10 x 15 stacked to the ceiling, and I could see lots of furniture, and it all looked old. Fortunately, most of my competition thought it looked like too much work, and I won the unit for $400. That really fed the addiction, and we moved on to this guy's second locker, feeling confident I'd be buying that one too....they opened the door on a 10x10, and I saw items I was hoping I'd see from an old guy from WV: a tall metal cabinet that looked like a gun safe, and some tall tubes next to a couple fishing rods. Yes!! I was sure the first unit was the furniture, and the second would be the outdoor stuff...guns and fishing, I was sure this room would be a major score. Unfortunately, the other bidders saw and thought the same things, and it ended up going for $875...I had to stop bidding and $650, as I had only brought $1100 to the auction.
The high and the crash of not getting that second room....
however...it had a happy ending: later in the day I was loading my trailer with stuff from my unit, and the guy that bought the other came in to load up his stuff, so I walked over to see what he'd gotten (under the guise of giving him my card saying 'hey since the same guy owned both of these, we might find things that are missing parts that are in the other unit' ) he let me watch him open what we thought was the gun safe....just boxes of files. no guns. then he grabbed the tubes that we thought surely held fly fishing rods....just empty tubes. Ended up the guy overpaid for a bunch of nothing, but both of us were bidding away with that exact chasing the dragon feeling.
It also turned out that he had 2 mirrors in his unit that go on top of dressers that are in my unit, so he sold me the mirrors for $20
Today we'll have the thrill of hunting through the boxes and totes to see what treasures await!
maybe it's an illness...but I don't want the cure :D

Looks like my return has been delayed. I urge you fellow Illinoisans to take a gander outside and look at the incoming storm. I'm debating going after the storm or waiting til tomorrow.

I said the people having the sales will put everything away and by the time the storm's over, they may just call it quits the day. My girlfriend says they'll definitely put it back out.

tl;dr Go after the storm or just wait until tomorrow?

[quote name='sdclippers']Think I'm going start hitting up yard sales in the San Diego area. Any insider tips?[/QUOTE]

From personal experience in SD, if a sale says 6AM, there will be a van or two there at 5:45.

[quote name='elessar123']From personal experience in SD, if a sale says 6AM, there will be a van or two there at 5:45.[/QUOTE]

I think it's been like that everywhere for a long time.

Probably about 15 years ago when I was young, I lived in a really rural area and I remember my family having a yard sale at 6 AM. Dad woke up at 5 AM to get his normal coffee, looked out the window, and there were people browsing the tables they set up the night before.

[quote name='Tsel']Looks like my return has been delayed. I urge you fellow Illinoisans to take a gander outside and look at the incoming storm. [/QUOTE]

I went out into the rain (not heavy here in southern Wisconsin) and had pretty crappy 1 1/2 of nothingness. Really, really poor pickings at about 10 sales (normally I'd go to 30 on a Fri.). Plus I can't do any yardwork today. And I'm not feeling very well.

On the positive side, I have boxes of stuff to list . . . but I might just take a nap.

I woke up at 6:30 and went out to maybe 4 sales today. I only found stuff at the first one, but it made the trip worth it.

It advertised a "gamestation", so I had no idea what to expect, turns it it was an N64 and other goodies. She wanted 25 for just the N64 stuff, but I got her to lower it to 20 for all of it, siting the dirtiness as my argument.

1001279z.jpg
1001280dj.jpg

The console and games are pretty nasty and are going to require a lot of cleaning and testing to see what is good and everything. I stopped at walmart on the way home and got some cleaning solution and Q-tips, so I'll be doing this tomorrow.

PS - who the hell thought lime green was a good looking color to be on games? damn greatest hits...

Well I was the first one at the sale today. I was actually 40 minutes early, so I sat in my car and planned my route. They opened the garage and I approached the sale. They let me in to have a look and I asked about the n64. Turns out their neighbor bought it last night when they were setting up. There was a genesis there for $50 that was missing the power cord. I hit another new sale a bought a couple of dvds and cds (schultzed would have found some good ones there) that I thought might be good ones for resale.

I hit another couple of sales and asked about games and the lady told me "I had a few nintendos and a bunch of games for them, but I guy bought all of the right away." :censored: Turns out they were open yesterday and somehow I missed their ad.

Then the rain came in full force and I went home.

The rain has finally slowed down or stopped now, so I may venture out to see if any one opened back up.

On a side note at the first sale I went to the lady said "You should have your own TV show about Garage Sales like the storage shows". I told her I would like to pitch one, but I am not sure if the public would like me. :lol:

[quote name='slowdive21']There was a genesis there for $50 that was missing the power cord. [/QUOTE]

I got a little excited this morning when I saw a Game Cube in a plastic box with a load of games. Then I went through the 20 games and saw that none were work squat . . . not sports but Spongebob-type stuff. One controller . . . no wavebirds or anything special. The box said $50 but I thought since it was raining I'd bid $20 . . . no dice he's only do $40.

I also went to sale where there was a garage full of new household goods (cleaning supplies etc.). I asked her pointblank and sure enough, an extreme couponer. She spends 40-60 hours a week on it.

[quote name='schultzed']I got a little excited this morning when I saw a Game Cube in a plastic box with a load of games. Then I went through the 20 games and saw that none were work squat . . . not sports but Spongebob-type stuff. One controller . . . no wavebirds or anything special. The box said $50 but I thought since it was raining I'd bid $20 . . . no dice he's only do $40.

I also went to sale where there was a garage full of new household goods (cleaning supplies etc.). I asked her pointblank and sure enough, an extreme couponer. She spends 40-60 hours a week on it.[/QUOTE]

Why does it somehow seem better to even me, who is admittedly unemployed, that I would be better off working at a real job even if it was one that didn't pay that much rather than spend 40-60 hours a week on extreme couponing. I think I would rather have money than a household full of goods that I would never be able to use up no matter what. I have a very low opinion of extreme couponers after meeting one person here which I won't even get into the details of what they do because it is absolutely sickening. I have met other extreme couponers and I have not met one who isn't a self-entitled I can do whatever I want and I get whatever I want type of person. Even most resellers don't stoop this low... seriously.

Inspired by this thread, I went out today looking for stuff.

1st stop - Stronghold 2 PC game - $1. Not much going on at this place.

2nd stop - N64 with all connections, an Nintendo controller, an off brand controller, and 6 games ( Diddy Kong Racing, Xena Warrior Princess, Super Smash Bros., Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Namco Museum 64, and Madden Football 64 (in box with manual)) - $10. Not bad!

3rd stop - 3 PS1 games (Intelligent Qube, Backstreet Billiards, and Caesar's Palace 2000). All In perfect condition. - $3. Score!

4th stop - I found this mini Donkey Kong table top arcade cabinet thing. Need to get some C batteries to make sure it works. Pretty cool. - $2

5th stop - Momento 2 disc dvd - $1

Not a bad day. Going back out tomorrow.

Joe

72211002.jpg
716111550.jpg

Yard Sale Finds:
Limited Edition Best Buy Superman Returns Clark Kent Bust $.50
PS1 NHL Rock The Rink $1
PS1 Duke Nuke em Time To Kill $1
PS1 Nightmare Creatures $1
Dave Chappelle Season 1 $1
Reproduction of a 1886 cast iron uncle sam bank $12
And the best purchase of my journey Another copy of Duke Nuke em Time to Kill Factory Sealed mint condition for $1

I havent looked at prices lately, but Intelligent Qube is worth quite a bit of money to some buyers. Nice find!

Also - I know Slowdive has some exp with cleaning stuff... have you had to clean an N64 before? I dont want to end up messing the games up by using the wrong alcohol or something:whistle2:#

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back