Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Potatoeman']
Now, it may seem like a great deal for the sheer amount of controllers... but if you can see, a majority of them have frayed cables or other imperfections. Only 2 of the N64 controllers have good sticks as well:cry:. Also not pictured are 8 PS2 controllers and some other crap that was in the box.

ZEZFP.jpg

oEr3v.jpg
[/QUOTE]

You might do decent on the controllers if you know how to break them up.

Gamecube - $4 each, if you can find a Gamestop that still takes them.
Working n64 - Individual sale
n64 bad sticks - Salvage lot
NES and SNES - a lot of the heavy resellers like listing these in pairs, official nintendo stuff will pull in a bit more than all the knock-offs floating around, maybe $10 per lot + shipping.

Aye, I was thinking of just putting the controllers together and selling like that since I don't want to really go through the hassle of repair and etc.

pUFuQ.jpg

2 hits at yard sales today. nothing amazing but not to bad

yard sale 1
$5 total for:
Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith (Xbox)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (Xbox)
Blinx The time Sweeper (Xbox)
Sega GT2002/ JSRF (Xbox)
Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)
all complete

Yard Sale 2
$17 total for:
Complete Gamecube with carrying bag 2 controllers (1 wireless)

With the following games complete:
Paper Mario: The thousand year door
Donald Duck Goin Quakcers
Bommerman Jetters
Taz: Wanted
The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer

With the following games Game Only:
NFS: most wanted
Sweet 16, licensed to drive (gotta admit this is the first mary kate and ashley game i have ever owned)
Happy Feet
Frogger Ancient Shadow
Super Monkey Ball 2
Lord of the Rings, the third age (but only disk 1)

Id take pics but im lazy

Day 2 Yielded some good stuff too.

1st sale started at 7AM, but when I got there at 7:15 they were barely in the process of setting up. Ended up picking up the following for $10
- Stuntman Ignition - PS2
- Peter Jackson's King Kong game - PS2
- NFS Pro Street - PS2
- NFS Most Wanted - PS2
- Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - PS2
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battlenexus
- Parappa the Rappa - PSP

All are complete except for Mortal Kombat

Second sale I found a SNES and a couple of games in a bucket with a bunch of cords. Guy saw me looking and said $2 for it all, so I took it. Ended up with the following:
- SNES w/ 1 Controller and Power Adapter (no rf cable)
- Games were Tetris 2 and Dr. Mario/Tetris Combo Cartridge
- Mad-catz multi A/V cable (has hookups for xbox 350/xbox/gamecube-n64/ps1-ps2-ps3

Third sale netted the following for $3
- White Gameboy Advance AGB-001 - Works but it looks like front molding that goes over the screen is missing.
- Dave Mirra BMX, Tony Hawk Skater 2, and Rocketpower Gettin' Air Gameboy Color games.

At the last sale I picked up the following 360 games for $10. All were complete except Shrek.
- Dead or Alive 4
- Condemned 2 - Bloodshot
- Shrek the Third

Kind of burned out on garage sales after this weekend, so not sure when I will hit them up again.

[quote name='Ramandur']2 hits at yard sales today. nothing amazing but not to bad

yard sale 1
$5 total for:
Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith (Xbox)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (Xbox)
Blinx The time Sweeper (Xbox)
Sega GT2002/ JSRF (Xbox)
Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox)
all complete

Yard Sale 2
$17 total for:
Complete Gamecube with carrying bag 2 controllers (1 wireless)

With the following games complete:
Paper Mario: The thousand year door
Donald Duck Goin Quakcers
Bommerman Jetters
Taz: Wanted
The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer

With the following games Game Only:
NFS: most wanted
Sweet 16, licensed to drive (gotta admit this is the first mary kate and ashley game i have ever owned)
Happy Feet
Frogger Ancient Shadow
Super Monkey Ball 2
Lord of the Rings, the third age (but only disk 1)

Id take pics but im lazy[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but I think that GTA III for the Xbox was only one half of the GTA Double Pack that released for the Xbox much later on after the games had been out on the PS2 for a while already.

It was bundled with GTA Vice City and never sold in a standalone version, which is why it has a kinda generic coverart with only the name of the game on it and not much else.

The good part about the Xbox versions though was that you could use your own music by loading up your CD's on the HDD of the Xbox.;)

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Day 2 Yielded some good stuff too.

1st sale started at 7AM, but when I got there at 7:15 they were barely in the process of setting up. Ended up picking up the following for $10
- Stuntman Ignition - PS2
- Peter Jackson's King Kong game - PS2
- NFS Pro Street - PS2
- NFS Most Wanted - PS2
- Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance - PS2
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battlenexus
- Parappa the Rappa - PSP

All are complete except for Mortal Kombat

Second sale I found a SNES and a couple of games in a bucket with a bunch of cords. Guy saw me looking and said $2 for it all, so I took it. Ended up with the following:
- SNES w/ 1 Controller and Power Adapter (no rf cable)
- Games were Tetris 2 and Dr. Mario/Tetris Combo Cartridge
- Mad-catz multi A/V cable (has hookups for xbox 350/xbox/gamecube-n64/ps1-ps2-ps3

Third sale netted the following for $3
- White Gameboy Advance AGB-001 - Works but it looks like front molding that goes over the screen is missing.
- Dave Mirra BMX, Tony Hawk Skater 2, and Rocketpower Gettin' Air Gameboy Color games.

At the last sale I picked up the following 360 games for $10. All were complete except Shrek.
- Dead or Alive 4
- Condemned 2 - Bloodshot
- Shrek the Third

Kind of burned out on garage sales after this weekend, so not sure when I will hit them up again.[/QUOTE]

That combo AV cable you got will work with the SNES also...

[quote name='Bing147']It is cool. I don't know my best deal of the month. $10 3do, $2 DS, $1 saints row the 3rd or $3 pikmin 2. Good month.[/QUOTE]

If you aren't keeping pikmin 2 i'd sell it ASAP. US is getting the new play control version for the wii this summer.

Finally had some luck, so I'm posting for my first time on this year's yard sale thread! I've been drooling over some of the other scores CAGs have gotten.
My best game finds of the day:

Black Slim PS2 Console w/ all cords: $5
Diablo for PS1: $2
Final Fantasy IX & Resident Evil 3: $1/ea.

[quote name='Bing147']Good morning.

Sonic 2: 1.00
Turok Dinosaur Hunter: 1.00
Xbox 360 controller: 2.00
Nintendogs Edition DS: 2.00 (no charger, did come with a 3ds charger... ordered a charger for 5.00 shipped on Amazon)
Halo: 1.00
Madden 10: 1.00 (360)
Mercenaries 2: 1.00 (360)
Jade Cocoon 2: 1.00
Jak and Daxter: 1.00
Jak 3: 1.00
Saints Row the 3rd: 1.00 (complete with online pass though have to check if its used)[/QUOTE]

As an update, the online pass for Saints Row the 3rd was unused. Halo does not seem to work. It starts and I can create a profile but when I choose to start a level it starts to load then says disc may be dirty or damaged. May try getting it resurfaced if I can find somewhere cheap.

[quote name='yourlefthand']That combo AV cable you got will work with the SNES also...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of that. I thought the "multi" port was for a multi-tap device or something... (I've been out of retro gaming for a while). Thanks for the heads up.

I thought the addition of the cable sweetened the deal on the SNES.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I wasn't aware of that. I thought the "multi" port was for a multi-tap device or something... (I've been out of retro gaming for a while). Thanks for the heads up.

I thought the addition of the cable sweetened the deal on the SNES.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, SNES, Nintendo 64, and Gamecube all have the same type of AV connection.

[quote name='AugustAPC']This thread needs more worshiping of my Nomad![/QUOTE]

It's a good deal, but it's still a mass produced game system and worth about the same on ebay as a clean NES with a handful of good games. :)

I found this though...

6976691402_50991e0222_z.jpg

[quote name='Cmosfm']It's a good deal, but it's still a mass produced game system and worth about the same on ebay as a clean NES with a handful of good games. :)
[/QUOTE]

Way to be a dick!

edit: :)

Here are my finds from today:

For the NES:
Castlevania
Zelda
Link
Double Dragon
controller
Zapper
$1 each and the games came with sleeves

Complete copy of Contra Hard Corps for the Genesis - $5

Wavebird Gamecube controller - $3

Wii games:
New Super Mario Bros
Mario Super Sluggers
CoD Black Ops
Pokemon Battle Revolution
All complete for $5 each

Didn't really haggle on prices today and passed on some overpriced stuff (NES system for $40, Genesis system with MK and 2 sports games for $40). Also missed an NES with who knows what. Arrived 40 minutes early for the sale and there were already a ton of people and whoever bought it was long gone.

[quote name='Cmosfm']It's a good deal, but it's still a mass produced game system and worth about the same on ebay as a clean NES with a handful of good games. :)

I found this though...

6976691402_50991e0222_z.jpg
[/QUOTE]
That is one old store display PS1 system since the controllers for it aren't even Dual Shocks.:whistle2:#

[quote name='dasme313']Finally had some luck, so I'm posting for my first time on this year's yard sale thread! I've been drooling over some of the other scores CAGs have gotten.
My best game finds of the day:

Black Slim PS2 Console w/ all cords: $5
Diablo for PS1: $2
Final Fantasy IX & Resident Evil 3: $1/ea.[/QUOTE]

I love seeing obscure games in the wild (Diablo). Nice find man.

Also, crazy on the Pepsi dealie bob. I'm curious to how much you spent on it:hot:

[quote name='yourlefthand']If you aren't keeping pikmin 2 i'd sell it ASAP. US is getting the new play control version for the wii this summer.[/QUOTE]
I literally had to check this because I'm like "he's got to be full of it, right? No way Nintendo is releasing this three years after the fact." Then i saw you were right and I could only shake my head at how bad the Wii is doing this year that they are resorting to finally bringing over a bunch of RPGs and Pikmin 2 that they had no intentions to before.

Couldnt find any gaming stuff the last two weekends but managed to find a few things...

016.jpg

Local Auction-$8.65 for both Hulks

015.jpg

(2) Calvin and Hobbs books - $1 each
The making of Star wars- marked $ .10 but given to me for FREE
American Pie dvd set ( 1 & 2) - $2 (I already own the first one so ill sell that)

014.jpg

All the other dvds (including Iron Man blu-ray) - $1 each (I already own Iron Man on dvd so I will sell that and keep the blu ray)

ej64hg.jpg

Star Wars - No Manual, SSX - Case Only, The Rest Complete

1 Each Asking Price, SSX was free.

zxqo40.jpg

Wii Motion Plus, New Rocketfish PS3 Controller, Spyro The Dragon - 11
Capcom Co-op Colection Volume 1 (Disc Only) - .50 (Asking Price)
Twisted Metal 2 (Disc Only) - 1
Shenmue 2 (Missing DVD) - .50
Professor Layton And The Unwound Future (Complete) - 5 (Asking Price)

The first 3 were asking 1 for Spyro and 5 each for the other 2. Twisted Metal 2 was 3 but took 1. Shenue 2 was 1 but took .50. Unwound Future was a very nice parting gift at the last sale of the day and surprising that it was still around shortly before noon.

I wasen't going out on Friday with little to no sales but I noticed one in the next town over that mentioned "Playstation games" so I figured I'd try my luck at that one sale. Showed up about 5 minutes before start time and got lucky at my first sale of the season.

Saturday was a town wide community sale which I went to as elsewhere on my normal route I only had about 15 sales. I got to about 50 sales total Saturday (about 45 roughly at the community sale and 5 more afterwards at another nearby area) and was out from shortly before 8 till about noon.

It was a shutout this week when asking about old games but when I asked I seemed to have just as many people talking about what they have, had, sold at some point as any normal day. I will mention one house that was somewhat unique as the guy mentioned TI-99 games but after going in came out only to say he couldn't find them and must have gotten rid of them at some point, this would have been my first time finding TI-99 stuff in the wild if it panned out. I did leave my number and e-mail at one house that sounded promising and they actually got back to me. Asked me how much I would be "willing" to pay for a SNES with Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, Mortal Kombat II & Batman Returns but I'm going to pass since I have all of those games.

I did see some systems that were priced about what they were worth that I passed on. DS Lite in box - 50, DSi in box - 75, GBA SP with 5 games - 25 (Super Mario Advance 1 the only one notable at all). Wii system in box - 100 along with some better then the 1-2 dreck Wii games I tend to see at some sales marked 5 but they were all marked 20 each even a sealed Wii Sports for a cent more then retail at that price :) The sale I got Spyro at actually had a PSX with a few games for 10 that wasen't so bad and the lady offered it all for 5 when I asked about any other old video games to which I ended up asking about just buying one game. The sale I got Shenmue 2 at had an Xbox 360 marked $80 with a note about the door not closing right. I actually came back to this sale since the lady though her husband might have more games he would want to get rid of and was a little surprised that the Xbox 360 wasen't still around.

Out of all of the sales I went to on Saturday only one mentioned anything in particular that I missed, it was the very first sale of the day (about 5-10 minutes before 8) to which I was told they only had Mario Kart which already sold, the fucked up part of this was that it was gone before 8 yet I found Unwound Future still around at almost noon in the only DS game left at that sale, the lady mentioned having 2 other Professor Layton games that sold.

Overall I can't help but feel like it was a really weak outing for as many sales as I went to Saturday especially compared to how I did at one sale Friday. A good example of why I'm even more pessimistic about community sales and usually like the path less traveled when it comes to yardsaling. Talking to somebody at the flea market today I was told that they didn't go to the community sale but talked to some other people that felt like it was mostly junk which was a fair assessment IMO.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']:lol: I still have one of those Rocketfish PS3 controllers somewhere in my closet. That was the last clearance item I found at the local BB stores here.[/QUOTE]

Are they any good? I figured what the hell for 5 since I only have 1 1st person controller and 2 Arcade sticks for my PS3.

[quote name='FOnewearl']Are they any good? I figured what the hell for 5 since I only have 1 1st person controller and 2 Arcade sticks for my PS3.[/QUOTE]
The battery life is short on a single charge, the PS button needs to be 'broke in' before it'll work on the first or second press and the L2/R2 triggers have weaker springs than the Dual Shock 3's.

But those three issues aside it's a great controller, especially if you plan on playing a game where you may be button mashing a bunch.

[quote name='FOnewearl']

Overall I can't help but feel like it was a really weak outing for as many sales as I went to Saturday especially compared to how I did at one sale Friday. A good example of why I'm even more pessimistic about community sales and usually like the path less traveled when it comes to yardsaling. Talking to somebody at the flea market today I was told that they didn't go to the community sale but talked to some other people that felt like it was mostly junk which was a fair assessment IMO.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

I agree with you on community sales. Yes it can be great as you can hit a lot of sales fast and without a ton of driving but the vast majority of people at community sales are only doing a sale because everyone else is and they generally don't really have anything worthwhile. Most people who decide on their own to have a yard sale have enough stuff at least that they think it can be worth their day. While if its a community sale people almost feel like they have to. Not to say that you can't find things at a community sale, I got my $1 Saints Row the Third and $2 DS at one this weekend but I think the ratio of good to junk sales is a lot more weighted towards the junk sales in them.

Wasn't really feeling too great, so I only went to a few sales. One had a bunch of PS2 Sport Games that I left. Mostly struck out, did manage to find this though.

3042d5d4925e11e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

I got it for a buck. Anyone know anything about it? Really not finding too much about it online. If it isn't worth anything I'll probably just open it myself. Haven't seen any Game of Thrones and I don't have HBO, so at least I'll be able to see one episode. :)

That Game of Thrones blu-ray is from Best Buy. I believe you could easily get them for $.01 after the Season 1 box set came out.

[quote name='Bing147']I agree with you on community sales. Yes it can be great as you can hit a lot of sales fast and without a ton of driving but the vast majority of people at community sales are only doing a sale because everyone else is and they generally don't really have anything worthwhile. Most people who decide on their own to have a yard sale have enough stuff at least that they think it can be worth their day. While if its a community sale people almost feel like they have to. Not to say that you can't find things at a community sale, I got my $1 Saints Row the Third and $2 DS at one this weekend but I think the ratio of good to junk sales is a lot more weighted towards the junk sales in them.[/QUOTE]

Most of the community sales here have been tapped out long ago, especially since this is likely the territory that resellers probably hit first since they can hit many sales in one shot, going off the strategy mentioned by some others in this thread on the weekend of a community sale perhaps look for single yard sales and hit those because perhaps everyone will be at the community sale and less shoppers at the regular sales. I also find that prices are much, much higher at community sales and people are less willing to budge on prices since people figure someone will come along who wants it at my price eventually and if no one wants it, it goes out next year at the same price. More people shopping equals higher prices! I have gone to community sales but the problem is houses only have so much junk and if there has been a sale year after year in the same neighborhood you won't be getting much and I notice that the amount of stuff that each house has dwindles year after year. I won't be attending any of the well known community sales in this area this year. If you can hit a "first annual" community sale or something similar you might be in business but you will have to start early.

[quote name='Montymonster']I helped run a couple of sales in the past month or so (Relay for Life fundraising, what-up!) and we weren't really a huge fan of early-birds. Those people who got there early would try to nickle and dime us for literally everything. We had a lot of iPod stuff (a touch, a classic, cords, and a shuffle) bundled together for $50 bucks, and we had three early-birders trying to get the bundle off of us for under $10 bucks. I know yard sales are haggling to a point, but around here early-birders are pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

I think why a lot of people put no early birds is because they dont want people knocking on their door an hr before the sale starts. I've heard this many times from sellers as well as I've had it happen to me.
Seriously dont come knocking on my door at 7am when it states my sale starts at 9am. 9am is the usual start time around here, with a few starting at 8:30. This was odd to me when I moved from the south, because your open at 6:30-7 there

[quote name='AugustAPC']This thread needs more worshiping of my Nomad![/QUOTE]

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

You have my love and jealous rage!! I have a Complete box and manual just calling for that nomad LOL Someday... Somday....

[quote name='Potatoeman']Yup, unfortunately you got hosed. They're a penny, or free with any blu-ray I think.

Fortunately it was only a dollar![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Doomstink']That Game of Thrones blu-ray is from Best Buy. I believe you could easily get them for $.01 after the Season 1 box set came out.[/QUOTE]

Ah, oh well. Looks like I'll be watching it myself then, still haven't seen any Game of Thrones because I don't have HBO. :(

I skipped going to any sales on Saturday. I had to do some massive cleaning of the house. I had a couple of games and game systems just lying about and things were getting messy.

Sunday I went out to 1 that was advertising games. I got there 10 minutes early and there was another guy there, whom I recognized as a flipper. I bought stuff from him long time back. Anyways I bought a bunch of guides for about a $1 each.

The guy was selling a N64 bundle, PS2 bundle, and a NES bundle. I wanted his NES bundle, but it was a firm $50 and he wouldn't budge on the price. It was an NES with 10 games, plus all the wires.

Afterwards he brought out more games, some were overpriced like AC: R for $30. I told him I could go to BB and get it for $20 brand new. He refused to budge. He was selling a brand new Uncharted 3 for $30, but I heard the GOTY edition for Uncharted 3 is coming out soon, so I passed on this.

I ended up getting Pikmin, Mario Superstar Baseball , and Mario Kart Double Dash for $20. Not a bad day, but it was okay.

On my way home, a guy called me about some PSP's he is selling. I asked about it. It was a PSP 1000, PSP 2000, and PSP 3000. The 1000, and 2000 needed new batteries and a battery cover, the 3000 needed a new screen. Bunch of games and 2 UMD movies for $35
ab773f7e.jpg

Then the guy tells me he has an NES for sale. The NES is dirty and missing the flip top cover. He says it works, but I couldn't care. I'm staring at the games. Some were in dirty condition, but I knew I could get them cleaned up.
Games were: Zelda 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, Double Dragon 3, Ghostbusters 2, Robocop, Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, Renegade, River City Ransom, few others I can't recall. Price = $25
NES1.jpg

NES2.jpg

Speaking of which, what's the best way to clean NES games???

Last edited by a moderator:
I use alcohol (91% or 90%) or if that doesn't work I open the cart and use a pencil eraser to really get all the grime off. Though I usually just do the pencil eraser method since the grime seems to stay off for longer. But I wouldn't use the eraser on an almost clean cart, since I have run into a few of those too.

What about for the exterior of the cart? If you look at the pic I uploaded, 1943 has some gunk on it. Some of the exteriors of the other cartridges could use some cleaning too

I thought a pencil eraser generates static electricity. Wouldn't that be a no-no?

[quote name='SaraAB']I use alcohol (91% or 90%)[/QUOTE]

Fun fact: 70% isopropyl is better at disinfecting than 90%. So when you buy hand sanitizer, they're not gypping you, because they're usually around 70% alcohol.

[quote name='Rexall']What about for the exterior of the cart? If you look at the pic I uploaded, 1943 has some gunk on it. Some of the exteriors of the other cartridges could use some cleaning too

I thought a pencil eraser generates static electricity. Wouldn't that be a no-no?[/QUOTE]

I usually still use isopropyl cause I'm lazy to use two things. Just be careful with labels, cause they can bleed. Not all labels will. SNES usually don't, and N64 ones usually do.

Nothing big, but two nice finds:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 w/ box, no manual: $7. Marked 10, offered 5, settled on 7.

Majora's Mask Perfect Guide: Free w/ purchase of $1 Yankee Candle!

Yay, I'm glad I can finally post in this thread after following it for a month or so. So here's the story, sorry if it's not that great.

Saturday morning I was on my way to my cousins house to pick him up. On his street (he lives in a court) one of his neighbors were having a yard sale. Since we had time to kill, we figured might as well check it out. So we walk over there and check everything out. While there, we have a nice little conversation with the owner about his stuff. I walk over to a basket/box that looks like it only has stuffed animals and childrens books in it. Started rummaging through and seen some DVDs. Then I see a white case and get excited, then I pulled out 4 Wii games. They were all complete and I ask the owner how much he wants for them. He said a dollar for each one, so I didn't haggle with him. So I was able to get:

All for Wii and complete except one

Mario Kart
Just Dance
Cabela's Dangerous Hunt
The Simpsons Game
Guitar Hero III (complete case, no game)

Total spent: $4.00

Pretty happy with my purchase. I turned around and traded them into Best Buy, since I no longer own a Wii.

Well after several weeks of nothing i got

Donkey Kong Country 2 players guide
Mario Mania Players guide
& A Original gameboy AC Adapter

all for free (church "Rummage give-away")

2012-04-30_13-35-39_744.jpg

Then I got a DOS game & an external USB floppy drive both for $0.25

2012-04-30_13-36-19_498.jpg

[quote name='Rexall']What about for the exterior of the cart? If you look at the pic I uploaded, 1943 has some gunk on it. Some of the exteriors of the other cartridges could use some cleaning too

I thought a pencil eraser generates static electricity. Wouldn't that be a no-no?[/QUOTE]

I have cleaned probably hundreds of carts with it and never a problem. But I usually only bust out the eraser if alcohol doesn't make it work.

For the outside good old fashioned soap and water or a wipe down with windex will do just fine. Be careful of the back label on cartridges as if you dunk them in water they will get damaged, you have to use some care when dealing with labels. The glossy kind holds up fine to water, but the matte label kind will deteriorate quickly. I would stay away from Mr clean magic eraser as that is abrasive. But you could use that as a last resort and it won't look too bad, looks better if you do the whole cart with it so the plastic will be even.

I am getting some novus in the mail tomorrow so I will let you all know how it does for polishing scratched discs. I have seen other people use it first hand and it works perfectly so we will see how good it works for me.

I use simple green - Non toxic smells good works good

bread's done
Back