Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Montymonster']It was raining, so I really didn't feel like going out. I went to one sale, picked this all up for 4 bucks.
96403dc4b26411e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg
8d7eb580b26411e18cf91231380fd29b_7.jpg

The Gameboy pocket looks fantastic, but unfortunately when I got home to test it it didn't play any games. :( It still looks nice, so I figure I might as well hold on to it.[/QUOTE]

Excellent pick there on Vampire: Bloodlines, now you simply must visit The Asylum as a Malkavian :cool:

Woot.

Got Mario Kart Double Dash (game and case)*no manual

and

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (cart only)

for.......$1 total!

Best pick up ever!

[quote name='Kevlar281']Just a heads up but the gray piece in the upper left hand corner appears to be a 1983 GI Joe Dragonfly Helicopter Chin Turret Gun.

It's worth a couple a bucks.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm impressed. :applause: I knew it was GI Joe, but I wouldn't have known exactly what vehicle it was from (without looking it up)!

EDIT: I thoroughly looked over the "round silver base thing" and I do not see any markings.

Your mysterious silver thing looks pretty familiar to me... can't put my finger on it though. :x Have you tried putting the pictures on a forum specifically for toys? Those folks might be able to help you out better than us.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']Yes! Today and yesterday I got my yard sale mojo back after weeks of finding nothing.

eb8d16a99e673d16ced0266b2d2f6347.JPG

[/QUOTE]

I'd love to own these, but they just seem like so much of a hassle to deal with. I don't have a CRT to play them on. I wish they'd put out a collection for the Wii or something.

Today, I got a stack of Nintendo DS game cases for free, club nintendo codes unused for the few nintendo games (the woman said I just missed the garbage man that took off an even bigger box of cases, damnit.)

I also got a stack of random stuff for about $5 (a few things for my niece, tortilla press, scale, stack of cds.)

Went to the monthly book sale at the library and picked up a few books pretty cheap at 50 cents a piece (Hawking's Brief History of Time, Encyclopedia of World History, Diner's Drive ins, and Dives cookbook, and a few art books.)

[quote name='slowdive21']Wow, I'm impressed. :applause: I knew it was GI Joe, but I wouldn't have known exactly what vehicle it was from (without looking it up)!

EDIT: I thoroughly looked over the "round silver base thing" and I do not see any markings.[/QUOTE]

Go post a picture on hisstank and ask if anyone knows what it is from, you'll probably get an answer in 5 minutes (daytime that is.)

Not many games today but a good smattering of assorted "valuable" items.

My brother found a YuGiOh Disc Launcher at a yard sale, worth roughly 50 bucks, but no one was at the sale and no one answered the door when he knocked. He waited around for a bit, and eventually just left a dollar bill on the table and took it.

No telling what they wanted for it. :/

[quote name='Cmosfm']Not many games today but a good smattering of assorted "valuable" items.

My brother found a YuGiOh Disc Launcher at a yard sale, worth roughly 50 bucks, but no one was at the sale and no one answered the door when he knocked. He waited around for a bit, and eventually just left a dollar bill on the table and took it.

No telling what they wanted for it. :/[/QUOTE]

Um... Guess I'm going car shopping with a dollar tomorrow

^^At least he left them something...The scrappers are taking bikes out of people's yards by me. They also steal air conditioner coils and manhole covers.

[quote name='FatherChesz']
Other than that, I declare this season to be the year of the PS2, because nearly every sale I've attended had an old fat PS2 and the same group of hunting/sports games for about 50 bucks.[/QUOTE]

I agree . . . it was true already last year but we are clearly in the age of getting rid of PS2s. 8-10 years ago it was N64s and PSs. A few years from now it will be Wiis--and they will be cheap.

What's interesting is that people's valuation is a little out of whack. PS2 slims are worth $50 and people will sell them for $20 (obviously more or less) . . . while Wiis are worth about $60 but all of the ones I see, the people want $100.

Also, I'm seeing record numbers of cheap DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='schultzed']I agree . . . it was true already last year but we are clearly in the age of getting rid of PS2s. 8-10 years ago it was N64s and PSs. A few years from now it will be Wiis--and they will be cheap.

What's interesting is that people's valuation is a little out of whack. PS2 slims are worth $50 and people will sell them for $20 (obviously more or less) . . . while Wiis are worth about $60 but all of the ones I see, the people want $100.[/QUOTE]

Wiis are overpriced here too, but that may be a result of more "casual gamers" buying consoles.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Not many games today but a good smattering of assorted "valuable" items.

No telling what they wanted for it. :/[/QUOTE]

yay for yard sale theft?

Edit: Forgot my finds this weekend.
Gameboy pocket, with super mario land 2, and gameboy carrying bag for $2
Firefly DVD complete series $4
Metalocalypse Seasons 1 $0.50
Sealed andy griffith VHS box set $0.50
Mortal Kombat 4 black label $0.50
Tomb Raider underworld guide $0.50
One of the sales I went to had a xbox morrowind GOTY case, was really excited until I opened it and saw madden. Looked in all the other game cases and couldn't find it.

At least you guys are seeing Wii stuff, I'm seeing almost nothing. Today I picked up NFL Street 2 and Spyro A Hero's Tail for GC for $2 total. Once I start flipping things, I can probably get a couple of bucks, so why not.

[quote name='Artrigis']yay for yard sale theft?[/QUOTE]

Not saying it was a great idea, or that I would have done it, but what did they honestly expect?

[quote name='yourlefthand']Not saying it was a great idea, or that I would have done it, but what did they honestly expect?[/QUOTE]

People to not steal. Unless the price was marked, and you leave at least that amount. Leaving $1 for what you knew was worth $50?

[quote name='elessar123']People to not steal. Unless the price was marked, and you leave at least that amount. Leaving $1 for what you knew was worth $50?[/QUOTE]

I bought a $300 network tester for $5 yesterday. Was I stealing?

Like I said, I don't think I would have done what he did, but leaving your yardsale unattended is pretty much asking people to pay you on the honor system.

[quote name='yourlefthand']I bought a $300 network tester for $5 yesterday. Was I stealing?[/QUOTE]

That was the asking price, so no. It'd be more like if they said $50, and you put a $5 somewhere and take it anyways.

I would have waited for a person to show up or left and came back later. I don't think it is morally right to leave a person the amount that you think they might have wanted.

Other news, I was at a sale yesterday that had a bunch of kids toys, boy stuff. I picked up some stuff and asked how much. Lady told me 25cents each wtf. Dirt cheap. So I got 5 things totaling $1.25. I gave the lady $2 and told her to keep the change, she would not have any of that. She wouldn't accept it, she basically put the change in my pocket.

I have yourlefthand on my ignore but I could see from elessar's quoted reply that he has the sense of logic of a 2yr old.

[quote name='TiKi2']I would have waited for a person to show up or left and came back later. I don't think it is morally right to leave a person the amount that you think they might have wanted.

Other news, I was at a sale yesterday that had a bunch of kids toys, boy stuff. I picked up some stuff and asked how much. Lady told me 25cents each wtf. Dirt cheap. So I got 5 things totaling $1.25. I gave the lady $2 and told her to keep the change, she would not have any of that. She wouldn't accept it, she basically put the change in my pocket.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I wouldn't have just left money either. I was just pointing out that it isn't worth tearing into the guy. I have a bigger problem with people lowballing kids or lying about items values, both of which seem to be applauded around here.

I have paid more than people's asking price before, and if I am getting a solid deal I don't ask for a lower price.

[quote name='yourlefthand']Honestly, I wouldn't have just left money either. I was just pointing out that it isn't worth tearing into the guy. I have a bigger problem with people lowballing kids or lying about items values, both of which seem to be applauded around here.

I have paid more than people's asking price before, and if I am getting a solid deal I don't ask for a lower price.[/QUOTE]
Yes the lowballing kids thing is such a dick move IMO. Worse then taking crap from some idiot who Leaves their yard sale unattended.

[quote name='slowdive21']^^At least he left them something...The scrappers are taking bikes out of people's yards by me. They also steal air conditioner coils and manhole covers.[/QUOTE]

Same here. A few weeks ago I had scrap metal (for my own projects) go missing from the side of my shed, which is 20' from the curb, clearly not on the curb. Happened on a garbage night, so I know it was a scrapper.

I ended up posting a rant on Craigslist, only to get a few emails from "fellow scrappers" defending the dickhead, saying that I shouldn't have had left the stuff outside, within view of the street and that the person did nothing wrong by taking it. Apparently, outright theft is advised in the scrapping community, which is what this is. State law says if it's not on the curb, it's private property, making removal of said property theft.

I've also had a well cover go missing, leaving a gaping hole in my backyard. Best thing was one night I left a few bits of metal out, and some asshole came to my door, at 10pm, asking if I had anything else for him to take. He then had the balls to ask if he could take the metal swingset in my backyard, the one I just built earlier that day for my daughter. These people are like fucking meth heads around here.

I used to leave scrap out from time to time, but not anymore. I'll take it to the junkyard myself.

/rant

Scrapping got so bad here that apparently the local shop got into hot water about accepting stolen items. Now they are required to make a copy of the drivers license, take a photo of the items being turned in and take a photo of the person turning it in. Theft still happens around here, but the scrappers have to travel out of county to turn it in to shops that don't take this info. The guy that lived in the rental across the street used to scrap, he would be up until at least midnight hammering on metal items for whatever reason. Thankfully he moved away.

Got a few things this weekend.

scaled.php

scaled.php

Spent $18 on everything pictured (board games included.)
Dragon Strike game is missing VHS tape though. :(

Got the DBZ game off a guy who had about 30 game systems for sale (Sega, NES, SNES, Atari, etc.) but they all looked like they had been sitting outside for a few years, and he wasn't in a hurry to sell 'em dirt cheap either. Still, this is more than I have found all season. I've never seen a Sega Genesis 3, so I had to get that plus all the games for $15.

Spending breakdown:
Smess - $1
Dragon Strike - $1
Wolverine Sega game - .25
Dragon Ball Z Sagas - $1
Two Sega Systems, 4 controllers, all original wires (except one had a universal plug rather than Sega), plus rest of games (18 or 19) - $15

Edit: I forgot, I made a new rival! This guy bought a few games at a yard sale that I had last week. This week, I saw him in town at a sale. Decide to head north and hope to lose him. As I'm looking at the Sega box, he comes up to me as asks if I'm getting them. I say yes and carry it around until he finally leaves. Then I haggle the seller down from $20 to $15. Overall a fun day, and some good competition.

Tons of sales this weekend, very few good finds.

This sale advertised games and started at 9pm, after getting beat out last time I arrived at 8:30 to see them still setting up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
PS3 Batman Arkham Asylum $5
HDMI splitter w/ remote $10
DVDs $2 each, but he gave me 7 for $10.
2001: a space odyssey Deluxe collector set #124921
Gone with the Wind (sealed)
Batman Beyond return of the joker -uncut version
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2 Innocence
SLC Punk
Dune 3 disc director's cut special edition
He threw in the component cable for free.

His wife came out and said "I thought we weren't opening until 9?" I apologized for being early but he said it was ok, the person that was knocking at their door at 7:30 was too early.

From various sales:

The Xbox games and DVDs were $1 each except Police Academy which was $.50. I found many sales with cheap DVDs, one had 6 for $5 some of them still sealed. I grabbed 12. At that price I will watch them, give them away or possibly trade them in for credit.
List:
Anchorman -unrated
Apollo 13 -2-disc anniversary edition
Dodegball
Knocked up -unrated (sealed)
All dogs go to heaven
PootieTang :D
Superbad -unrated extended edition
Factory Girl -unrated
The last house on the left -unrated (sealed)
Children of men
Team America world police
Thank you for smoking

I take chances on old VHS every once in awhile looking for rare OOP titles.

Struck out with these at $1 each. Anyone know where to find a comprehensive list of VHS that have not been released on DVD?

Best find of the day came from a video shop in a town I don't normally travel to.

Fox Hunt PS1 $10. Unfortunatly it did not come with a manual. This is the first time I've ever seen a copy, was suprised it was priced that low.

I was out in the country when I found the strangest yard sale item ever; a live snapping turtle. The guy was the son of the elderly gentleman running the sale. The father was your average friendly clean cut guy.... the son, however, looked like a sleazy dirtball. He wanted $20 for him and said he would make a nice stew. Said he caught him at the pay lake a few miles down the road (I don't see people that go to pay lakes as true fishermen). I regret not trying to get him to set him loose, or at least calling a conservation officer. Pretty sure selling wildlife like that is illegal.

[quote name='Invicta 61']Pretty sure selling wildlife like that is illegal.[/QUOTE]
It's a massive fine in some cases. When deciding to adopt some desert tortoises, we had to become licensed and were warned that if we were caught selling, mistreating, or letting them loose, it would be a $50,000 fine. I'm not sure how accurate that is or if it was a combined total, but either way, we had no intention of finding out.

[quote name='Pyloric']
scaled.php

Spent $18 on everything pictured (board games included.)
Dragon Strike game is missing VHS tape though. :(
[/QUOTE]

I picked up a complete copy of Dragon Strike a few weeks ago for $1 and it included the VHS still sealed! It's comming up in one of my catch up posts.

[quote name='elessar123']He fished a turtle at a pay lake?[/QUOTE]

LOL dunno, with the way he looked he probably jumped into the water after it. He probably caught it on the bank while it was warming itself.

While on a trip with my father we saw a larger one just like it in a dry ditch near a farmer's field years ago. This is the one we found.

He hitched a ride to the creek 3 miles down the road since we were in the middle of a nasty drought at the time.

Went to a distant (30 min. away) neighborhood sale on Thur. but didn't find much (not pictured--got a KOTOR I Xbox complete for $1). As I was driving back I saw a sign in this little town on the highway . . . as I turned on the block, I saw another sign for a deeper sale . . . decided to go deep and come back. I walk into this garage and there were a ton of really nice DVDs and Blu-rays . . . I cherry picked about half of them and got a good $500 in value for $50 . . . I know, I know, you're wondering WTF! So, here is a pic of most of it:

Note that some of the Blu-rays are Critereon Collection. Some were sealed . . . all near mint.
As I was digging through the DVDs I saw a PS2 but it was marked $50. I was at this sale for 20 mins. and there wasn't another shopper. The PS2 had some mics and a guitar and crap games but I noticed it was white . . . actually thought it was a Wii. So, after I paid for the DVDs I offered $25 . . . she said she would do $30 . . . so we met at $27.

I didn't know it had any extra value until I looked it up on Amazon later. The Gungrave is flippable and the Jimmy Neutron is sealed. I also didn't know there was a Logitech wireless controller included until I got home :)

I only went out for a few hours on Friday and the most notable game pickup was this N64:

I paid $25 and really shouldn't have bought it. I saw it marked $50 and asked if the woman would do $20 . . . I shouldn't have offered anything. She said the lowest was $40 and it would've ended there but her husband was passing by and he thought $25 would be OK (with all the games). At that point, I couldn't walk away.

On Sat. I could only stay out until 11:00 but there was a really cool subdivision sale (50 houses and the people are really nice). I had cruised by a few of the houses that started on Friday and one right in the middle said there'd be games on Sat. So I memorized the house and got there first thing at 8:00. Sure enough there was a stack of games . . . I pulled out these:

There also was a Black Ops 360 but the woman pulled it back :whistle2:( I paid $12 for the above.

I pitched $18 for these:

My offer was accepted so fast that I knew I should've offered $12 :)

When I saw OBO on this:

I offered $10 and the guy was so nice, that he let me have the PS3 baseball game after we agreed.

2 for $1 on these:

I keep forgetting that only the Xbox SW Battlefront II has value but the Secret Weapons (complete) will flip.

As I left the subdivision, I needed to move toward home (as I promised my wife) and had to skip many, many sales on the way home :whistle2:( I did stop a few more and got over $500 worth of books (many textbooks) at one house and scooped up this at one my last sales:

No power adapter but has a screen protector (so I hope its clean underneath). Holds a charge and works well. Paid $10.

I forgot these (loners--each at different sales):

$1 KOTOR, $2 Club Penguin, and $4 for Mario

I saw this marked $5 (got it for $3):

Not surprised that it doesn't sell for much on ebay

But I had to buy it--so cool.

You guys don't like scrappers , best not leave and car/boat batteries out. I learned my lesson while working on my car . Left the battery next to my rear, tire was gone the next day.

[quote name='TiKi2']You guys don't like scrappers , best not leave and car/boat batteries out. I learned my lesson while working on my car . Left the battery next to my rear, tire was gone the next day.[/QUOTE]

Car batteries pull in about $8 each locally, and radiators have been stolen out of cars sitting behind garages. I've gotten into the habit of closing up my garage if I'm going to be away for more than 5-10 minutes and not leave anything out that I want to keep around.

Picked up the following:
-working Xbox 360 with controller and power $30 (sold for $60 to. A friend)
-A full tub of Lionel train set in boxes with tracks $20 (need to sort them still)
-some baby stuff ($250 high chair for $25!)
-Complete NES (NES-001 model) $6

[quote name='Obiwan456']That's rough man, they took your tire too?[/QUOTE]

No just the batt

[quote name='Invicta 61']Car batteries pull in about $8 each locally, and radiators have been stolen out of cars sitting behind garages. I've gotten into the habit of closing up my garage if I'm going to be away for more than 5-10 minutes and not leave anything out that I want to keep around.[/QUOTE]

Yeh, they pull $10 here. The slow breakdown of American society.

My weekend find, $9 I didn't haggle probably should have, but I knew it was worth alot more than $9. I didn't think the GBC would work, but it works great.

DSCF2067.jpg

[quote name='TiKi2']
The slow breakdown of American society.[/QUOTE]

I know this isn't the place for politics (and both Democrats and Republicans let this happen anyway--but Ronald Reagan and the Bushs led the way) but . . .

Each and every factory that moved out of the US led to the lowering of living standards for people in the middle (or lower). The wealthy saw great short-term gains but now there are fewer and fewer people with money to buy the goods and the value of firms has decreased. Ultimately everyone is hurt.

The kicker . . . blue-collar workers love to vote for wealthy Republicans.

[quote name='schultzed']I forgot these (loners--each at different sales):

$1 KOTOR, $2 Club Penguin, and $4 for Mario

I saw this marked $5 (got it for $3):

Not surprised that it doesn't sell for much on ebay

But I had to buy it--so cool.[/QUOTE]

I have that record. Its terrible, but so amazing. Find a way to listen to it :) You will hate yourself and me for telling you to do so.

I'll spoiler this since it is off-topic...
[quote name='TiKi2']No just the batt

Yeh, they pull $10 here. The slow breakdown of American society.[/QUOTE]

I strongly dislike scrappers. In my area they can be found during the graveyard shift hours.

Just a bunch of thieves in my opinion. If you don't work hard for it you probably don't deserve it.

[quote name='schultzed']I know this isn't the place for politics (and both Democrats and Republicans let this happen anyway--but Ronald Reagan and the Bushs led the way) but . . .

Each and every factory that moved out of the US led to the lowering of living standards for people in the middle (or lower). The wealthy saw great short-term gains but now there are fewer and fewer people with money to buy the goods and the value of firms has decreased. Ultimately everyone is hurt.

The kicker . . . blue-collar workers love to vote for wealthy Republicans.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it is kind of funny the poor slob is voting for the rich guy who will screw over the poor slob, ten times over to stay rich. The exchange being the rich guy will claim to be a conservative family man just like the poor slob.

OT:

[quote name='schultzed']The kicker . . . blue-collar workers love to vote for wealthy Republicans.[/QUOTE]

What about the occupy protestors who have no other political opinion than "hurr durr, BLAME THE RICH!!!!11!" yet they voted for a president who paid in excess of $400,000 in taxes last year?

You see, the real kicker is that it doesn't matter which political view you have and which candidate most closely aligns with it. If a person is running for president, you likely don't have jack shit in common with his or her lifestyle, and you probably will never even come close to it. Yet everyone wants to fool themselves into thinking they can somehow identify with their choice, it's ridiculous no matter which party it is.

[quote name='blindinglights']OT:

What about the occupy protestors who have no other political opinion than "hurr durr, BLAME THE RICH!!!!11!" yet they voted for a president who paid in excess of $400,000 in taxes last year?
[/QUOTE]

How did a group that didn't exist during the last election vote for Bush?

Obama paid $162k in taxes, donated $172k to charity, on an income of $790k. Most of that income came from his book.

Unless you meant Romney, who paid $3.2 million in taxes.

For someone criticizing about ignorance, well, I don't even....

I knew I shouldn't say anything . . . and I'm sure we can get back to rummage in the discussion.

I don't find anything of use in the occupy movement.

Overall, I don't even blame the politicians . . . they just opened the door wider.

I do feel that the short-sightedness of capitalists is the big problem. Of course it will be perversely funny if we put a Wall Streeter in charge only a few years after WE bailed out Wall Street because of their own gross mismanagement.

I whole heartedly agree with the below. Globalization is making politics less managable.

I was comment about politics but decided scratch that. All I can say is, best get ready for the next four years , it won't even matter who the President is.

bread's done
Back