Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='TiKi2']What do you guys look for at sales besides video games?[/QUOTE]
Treasures.

I look for music instruments, electronics, odd antiques. I look at it as a treasure hunt, maybe I'll find something cool.

[quote name='boyboy1080']picture of mega man 3
0AC8D9B9-F8EB-2984-BB74ECFB490008D7.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I played this until my fingers bled when I was a kid (not literally).

[quote name='TiKi2']What do you guys look for at sales besides video games?[/QUOTE]

Everything. My parents have been antique dealers for 30 years, so I am used to the flea market/yard sales as a way to pick and make money.

You'd be amazed the people that only look for 10K, 14K, 18K and 24K on jewelry for gold when that's a small fraction of what truly is, and with the price of gold right now a couple pieces can make an entire month for you. Conversely, there are the people that conveniently ignore the "GF" "HGE" and other marks that mean the piece is not solid gold. "GF" means gold filled, which scraps at roughly Sterling prices and not gold prices, while "HGE" has no value as a precious metal.

[quote name='schultzed']I was picking out most of the games before you listed them :)

So cool that you were first in line--how many times have CAGers been 2nd or 3rd? This is a great find . . . especially if you don't already have a system and these games. Is this a sys that you will keep?

About the games, much from a flip standpoint but the quanitity is amazing and from a shooter standpoint, this is a great start to a 360 library.[/QUOTE]

I already have 3 360s for myself, so this one was to sell. Some of the games I do not have so they are for my collection, but the rest are for sale. After Ultimate Electronics went out of business last year I had just graduated with my Bachelor's and 2,700 resumes later... no job. I've been running a eBay/flea market business with a lot of video games and electronics as well as antiques and collectibles. >$10 360/PS3 games are always a big seller at the flea market and I can normally sell 20-50 of them a week.

I've actually been toying with the idea of opening a video game store in town, trying to be more personal than a Gamestop and I like the idea of doing something like Funcoland used to (at least the one near me) where all the consoles are set up and you can try any used game for up to an hour before buying. It also makes it easier to receive trade ins because even though I pay more than Gamestop as well as cash a lot of people tell me they'll bring there games to trade in to the flea market the next week and then have some excuse why they didn't.

[quote name='ferant316']Everything. My parents have been antique dealers for 30 years, so I am used to the flea market/yard sales as a way to pick and make money.

You'd be amazed the people that only look for 10K, 14K, 18K and 24K on jewelry for gold when that's a small fraction of what truly is, and with the price of gold right now a couple pieces can make an entire month for you. Conversely, there are the people that conveniently ignore the "GF" "HGE" and other marks that mean the piece is not solid gold. "GF" means gold filled, which scraps at roughly Sterling prices and not gold prices, while "HGE" has no value as a precious metal.[/QUOTE]

GE doesn't fetch much, I've also seen tons of plated sterling shit, I know some makers have value but I couldn't justify buying plated. I picked up some sterling for $1 and just sold it for $30 on the bay, weighed 3.2gs so I was glad to move it. Some necklace from a niche style maker. I hope you aint in my area you'd be my competition. Also got some 585 has diamonds for $1, weighs about 4gs, so melt is around $130.

[quote name='ferant316']I already have 3 360s for myself, so this one was to sell. Some of the games I do not have so they are for my collection, but the rest are for sale. After Ultimate Electronics went out of business last year I had just graduated with my Bachelor's and 2,700 resumes later... no job. I've been running a eBay/flea market business with a lot of video games and electronics as well as antiques and collectibles. >$10 360/PS3 games are always a big seller at the flea market and I can normally sell 20-50 of them a week.

I've actually been toying with the idea of opening a video game store in town, trying to be more personal than a Gamestop and I like the idea of doing something like Funcoland used to (at least the one near me) where all the consoles are set up and you can try any used game for up to an hour before buying. It also makes it easier to receive trade ins because even though I pay more than Gamestop as well as cash a lot of people tell me they'll bring there games to trade in to the flea market the next week and then have some excuse why they didn't.[/QUOTE]

Damn 2700 resumes? I thought I had it bad at 200. I graduated last year but I still work at Target, glad I'm getting hours at least.

Well if you ever decide to make a game store best of luck.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm pretty sure I played this until my fingers bled when I was a kid (not literally).[/QUOTE]

I did as well. I remember when I got it I thought it would be just like the cartridge on my friend's NES. :(

Video games and board games are the only things I actively look for because I don't really care about anything else. But I of course always keep my eyes open for anything that looks interesting.

[quote name='NormanB258']Cool finds for the weekend:

Pandemic table top game in unopened package for $3. (should flip for roughly $25)

MINT IN PACKAGE HAI KARATE SOAP ON A ROPE!!!!!! $.25

And believe it or not, people still buy this stuff online for $10-15 a package. Imagine that. I bought it as a goof.[/QUOTE]

Awesome on the Hai Karate. I found a full bottle for $.50 last year after looking for awhile. Been wanting some forever since seeing it at a friend's home years ago.

I buy media (books, CDs, and DVDs) to flip on Amazon. It keeps me busy enough that I tend to shy away from other items. I like the quick and easy listing process on Amazon. I should do more ebaying but I just never get to it.

I do buy a few board games (esp. if sealed) and I dabble in other items.

Vintage video games in my neighborhood is very rare to find but I do find xbox 360s and ps3 games marked as eBay prices. I usually look for anything like vintage radio (ghetto blaster), legos (if they are complete), Disney items (decorating my cubicle for work :) ), baby items (if you can get it cheap an in good comdition, you can flip easily) and anything I can flip for profit. A smartphone will be very useful.

It's been awhile since I've posted any finds. This season hasn't been good yet for video game finds (but I have lucked out on some audio equipment and keyboards).

IMG_4818.jpg

I got everything left of the game boy for $10. I had just gotten done backtracking to pick something up for a friend and as I pulled up to the yard sale I see someone walk out of the house with a sega saturn. After asking if it was for sale, I found out I wasn't asking the seller, it was an interested buyer...
The guy ended up getting a saturn, a stack of games (which included Clockwork Knight, & Sega Ages), an N64 and a couple games and some other things for $30! I bit my tongue and didn't say anything to the folks running the yard sale, as that happened to me once and I wasn't happy about it.
Anyway, I was pumped for Brave Fencer Musashi, it's good to finally be able to play it! Digimon Rumble Arena 2 was $2. The Miracle Keyboard is ALMOST complete. It was missing the game cart (which I already had) and the cable that goes from the keyboard to the NES. Offered $10 and they accepted. Was really looking forward to trying it out... I'll have to try to make a cable for it (definitely not spending $35+ to buy one)
Even more people have been asking for video games this year. And last year I was one of the few people in my area asking for records, but that has drastically changed this year. I'll get a few jackpots before the season is over!

Missed out on an Epic n64 lot , manged to pick up an Epic Genesis lot.

The guy said he had a lot of games earlier, but someone bought them. I know it was one of my enemies/resellers because they left the Genny with some good games. I didn't ask what was in the n64 lot, but based on what I got, he probably had 20-30 games complete with boxes and sold it for $15.

I think my lot is pretty nice though for $15. Probably my best find this year. Pics to come...

atnih.jpg

NASCAR 2011 The Game and the Xbox 360 speed wheel for $30 total. Time to troll some rednecks online XD.

Thrustmaster-Ferrari-458-Italia-c-544x408px.jpg

$15. Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia racing wheel

30sd7cl.jpg

$4. Nerf Longshot CS 6

[quote name='dasme313']The guy ended up getting a saturn, a stack of games (which included Clockwork Knight, & Sega Ages), an N64 and a couple games and some other things for $30! I bit my tongue and didn't say anything to the folks running the yard sale, as that happened to me once and I wasn't happy about it.[/QUOTE]

WTF would you have said to them?! Don't tell me you were gonna try to ruin this guy's good luck because you got there later...

The point is I wasn't going to , and didn't, say anything. Someone last year said something to a seller as I was going to buy something, and neither of us ended up with the stuff.

[quote name='dasme313']The point is I wasn't going to , and didn't, say anything. Someone last year said something to a seller as I was going to buy something, and neither of us ended up with the stuff.[/QUOTE]

Then why did you even mention it in your story? You made yourself look like a fucking asshole by saying that.

I don't understand what you would have said anyway? That is a fair price for that stuff at a yard sale. I probably would have offered even less. I bought a saturn with a stack of games, all in the box (even the console) for $20....are they really worth that much? I know the n64 isn't worth anything

[quote name='crows in black']I don't understand what you would have said anyway? That is a fair price for that stuff at a yard sale. I probably would have offered even less. I bought a saturn with a stack of games, all in the box (even the console) for $20....are they really worth that much? I know the n64 isn't worth anything[/QUOTE]

He could've tried starting a bidwar or "backdooring" the lots if the deal wasn't finalized. The trouble with such a tactic (besides being morally questionable) is that the seller might now think they have a gold mine, which likely would sour the chances of anyone getting a good deal.

[quote name='slowdive21']Missed out on an Epic n64 lot , manged to pick up an Epic Genesis lot.

The guy said he had a lot of games earlier, but someone bought them. I know it was one of my enemies/resellers because they left the Genny with some good games. I didn't ask what was in the n64 lot, but based on what I got, he probably had 20-30 games complete with boxes and sold it for $15.

I think my lot is pretty nice though for $15. Probably my best find this year. Pics to come...[/QUOTE]

oh man yeah I hate missing out on stuff to resellers, don't mind as much if its some other guy collecting like me. Its like people who line up to buy tickets or new game consoles with the sole intent of reselling, takes away from those who really want it.

I don't have any pics for my finds but among them was a sealed copy of NBA Live 2001. Like most sports games NBA live 2001 is worth its weight in dirt but I can't find a copy of it on Amazon or a new copy of it. Do you guy think it's worth more than $5?

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']oh man yeah I hate missing out on stuff to resellers, don't mind as much if its some other guy collecting like me. Its like people who line up to buy tickets or new game consoles with the sole intent of reselling, takes away from those who really want it.[/QUOTE]

Seriously dude, everyone is a reseller. You keep every single thing you buy? So you resell it then, right.

Wanting something to keep for yourself is just as selfish as buying something with the sole intent to resell it.

[quote name='TiKi2']Seriously dude, everyone is a reseller. You keep every single thing you buy? So you resell it then, right.

Wanting something to keep for yourself is just as selfish as buying something with the sole intent to resell it.[/QUOTE]

there are two kinds of resellers:

1. video game collectors who buy and resell games for a fair price because we actually know what they're worth

2. flea market, or "scumbag" resellers who are usually 65 year old obese men with overalls who do things like lowball the crap out of people for their collections, lie to them and tell them their games aren't really worth anything, then proceed to sell games like Mario/Duck Hunt for $20 and absolutely refuse to come down on price. Then most of the games sit there and rot in the sun while people who actually appreciate them will never get their hands on them. They demand ebay prices but they do none of the work that ebay requires. Eventually they realize they will never sell them and they just pawn the entire lot off to some other reseller and the cycle continues

I think most of the time when referring to resellers, we are talking about the second type

I could say the scumbags are the collector's who buy and hoard games for selfish reason.
You can't point the finger at a reseller if you are a collector.

Who cares about price, who is more selfish a reseller who provides a product for people or a collector who hoards games for themselves.

My point is both parties are equally selfish.

$9 for everything! All the games are complete! No receivers for the Wavebird controllers sadly. I asked the person running the sale if they could have their son contact me if he ever finds the receivers.
34hbf39.jpg

$7 new.
21dpzx4.jpg

$3. No drum pedal or sticks though.
rock-band-wii-drums-490wd.jpg

[quote name='Ferrari Racer']$9 for everything! All the games are complete! No receivers for the Wavebird controllers sadly. I asked the person running the sale if they could have their son contact me if he ever finds the receivers.
34hbf39.jpg

$7 new.
21dpzx4.jpg

$3. No drum pedal or sticks though.
rock-band-wii-drums-490wd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow congrats I am in search of a similar GC deal!

[quote name='crows in black']there are two kinds of resellers:

1. video game collectors who buy and resell games for a fair price because we actually know what they're worth

2. flea market, or "scumbag" resellers who are usually 65 year old obese men with overalls who do things like lowball the crap out of people for their collections, lie to them and tell them their games aren't really worth anything, then proceed to sell games like Mario/Duck Hunt for $20 and absolutely refuse to come down on price. Then most of the games sit there and rot in the sun while people who actually appreciate them will never get their hands on them. They demand ebay prices but they do none of the work that ebay requires. Eventually they realize they will never sell them and they just pawn the entire lot off to some other reseller and the cycle continues

I think most of the time when referring to resellers, we are talking about the second type[/QUOTE]

I think Im type 1?
Buy what I can and resell, keep the occasional game for myself. Sell things on ebay for the average ebay prices.
I pretty much treat it like a small part time job.

[quote name='TiKi2']I could say the scumbags are the collector's who buy and hoard games for selfish reason.
You can't point the finger at a reseller if you are a collector.

Who cares about price, who is more selfish a reseller who provides a product for people or a collector who hoards games for themselves.

My point is both parties are equally selfish.[/QUOTE]

You are completely right, and I applaud you. Somebody finally "gets it".

Pretty darn good find today, but paid much more than the norm

$55
GBA/GBC games almost all complete (couple missing manuals)
Golden Sun
Golden Sun lost age
Sword of Mana (with Guide)
Harvest Moon Friends
Dragon Warrior III
Megaman 2
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2
Pokemon Ruby
Mario Luigi Super Saga
FF I & II
Tactics Ogre
BOF III (cartridge only)
Bomberman Tournament (cartridge only)
SNES Batman Robin
N64 Kirby
N64 Paper Mario (with Guide)

It always sucks hearing someone beat you to a sale, regardless if they plan to keep them or resell them. It is frustrating hearing "someone bought all the games" a few times in a row though, especially when you show up 10-15 minutes early to a sale and some devout yard saler was there an hour and a half earlier than you and bought them all. I don't care if it was a collector who needed to fill a few holes in his collection or a reseller who would overprice them on ebay, I'm still going to curse and then head to the next sale.

[quote name='TiKi2']Seriously dude, everyone is a reseller. You keep every single thing you buy? So you resell it then, right.

Wanting something to keep for yourself is just as selfish as buying something with the sole intent to resell it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm judging from your somewhat angry posts you are a reseller?

The only thing I have resold is a N64 with a few games but that's because when I went to buy a N64 at a yard sale he actually included 2 systems and like 10 games so just sold it off to cover the cost. I don't go out and actively look for things to resell. How is buying things for myself selfish? Am I selfish for buying my Xbox 360 at launch because I never intended to sell it and kept it for myself? To tell you the truth I pass up on tons of systems/games because I just don't need/want them, I only buy what i want not what I can resell.

The fiance hit a few yardsales this morning on her way from work and pickings were pretty slim, from what she told me. However, she had one awesome find: Spawn, Issues 1-?? (I'm guessing at least 100), in polybags with card backing for $5. Not sure if they're even worth anything anymore, but at ~$.05/ea, I'm happy.

[quote name='sp00ge']The fiance hit a few yardsales this morning on her way from work and pickings were pretty slim, from what she told me. However, she had one awesome find: Spawn, Issues 1-?? (I'm guessing at least 100), in polybags with card backing for $5. Not sure if they're even worth anything anymore, but at ~$.05/ea, I'm happy.[/QUOTE]
Most of them aren't worth a damn anymore, but you could make a good profit if you actually found someone willing to buy. Regardless of value, I would've loved stumbling upon a lot like that. I've got quite a few blank spots in my pre-100 collection, but it's not really something I'm willing to spend a lot of money on anymore.

[quote name='sp00ge']The fiance hit a few yardsales this morning on her way from work and pickings were pretty slim, from what she told me. However, she had one awesome find: Spawn, Issues 1-?? (I'm guessing at least 100), in polybags with card backing for $5. Not sure if they're even worth anything anymore, but at ~$.05/ea, I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

1,2,8 Alan Moore,9 1st angela, Cog, Medieval Spawn (can't be reprinted due to dispute with Gaiman), 11 Frank Miller, 18,21 both low print run.

Not necessarily worth much, but these are keys.

----
Actually I just checked and issue 9 as I always thought it was undervalued and apparently it has been reprinted, so the dispute must be settled. Still a key issue though.

Yeh comics don't go for much. I found one of those plastic containers full of comics at a yardsale once. Had a bunch of JLA which I like to read. They wanted something like $80. I passed and just checked out the graphic novel's at a library. Comics take up too much run anyways. And half the issue is advertisements.

I went through them really quick and the count is:

1 - 113, minus 10, 11, 12, 18, 19, 22 and 57. Also included is 153-155, 157-160. Others are Spawn Bible 1 and Blood and Shadows. All are non-UPC.

Also tucked in the box were GAG: Generally Annoyin' Goofballs (?) #1 and #2. Two copies of #1, one autographed.

[quote name='sp00ge']I went through them really quick and the count is:

1 - 113, minus 10, 11, 12, 18, 19, 22 and 57. Also included is 153-155, 157-160. Others are Spawn Bible 1 and Blood and Shadows. All are non-UPC.

Also tucked in the box were GAG: Generally Annoyin' Goofballs (?) #1 and #2. Two copies of #1, one autographed.[/QUOTE]

Spawn Bible isn't worth much, but it is hard to find. I don't think I actually have it. McFarlane rarely autographed stuff in the past, I don't know if that has changed in recent years, but that is a great book to have.

McFarlane has signed plenty of stuff; he's just one of those guys who thinks his signature should be worth a good amount of money and I don't think too many people are keen on forking over the cash. Just recently, a statue came out with a $40 premium if you wanted it signed. He literally made an additional $12,000 that week just for signing his name 300 times. If only I could get $40 for my signed copy of Spawn #12...

Anyway, I have to admit that GAG doesn't sound familiar to me at all. That's not McFarlane-related, is it? Seems like I would know what it is (or be able to find anything about it online).

[quote name='slowdive21']1,2,8 Alan Moore,9 1st angela, Cog, Medieval Spawn (can't be reprinted due to dispute with Gaiman), 11 Frank Miller, 18,21 both low print run.

Not necessarily worth much, but these are keys.

----
Actually I just checked and issue 9 as I always thought it was undervalued and apparently it has been reprinted, so the dispute must be settled. Still a key issue though.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget #10 (which he is missing). That's the Cerebus crossover written by Dave Sim. It's not really relevant to the overall Spawn story, but it's considered one of (if not the) most important and controversial issues in the series. That sucker didn't get reprinted until 15 years later. It's not really worth much more than the average Spawn comic, but I'm certainly glad to have it.

And yes, the legal dispute between McFarlane and Gaiman has been settled. I doubt those issues will be reprinted again anytime soon, but it is legal to do so.

[quote name='TheHelix']Welp no sales for me today. Car won't start.[/QUOTE]

That sucks dude. Good luck with it.

I'm stuck at home waiting for a guy to come clean the dryer vent. :(

I recently sold a lot of 11 Spawn comics on eBay (various issues between 16-31 and the Books of Souls) for ~$20, so I'm sure you could turn a nice profit if you sold off the entire lot.

Parents asked if I wanted to go with them today so of course I said yes since I havent been out yet this summer. 13 sales and the only games were some $10 apiece Xbox 1 games, nothing I wanted or could flip.

My mom bought a cast iron piggy bank for $1 cus there was change inside. Dad opened up the bottom when we got back and there was $1.05 in change and a $20 bill inside.

[quote name='yourlefthand']That sucks dude. Good luck with it.

I'm stuck at home waiting for a guy to come clean the dryer vent. :([/QUOTE]
Dryer vent? As in the one on the dryer itself? A Shop-Vac and/or a dryer vent brush($10 at Lowe's) would solve that problem and let you do it yourself.
[quote name='juangrande386']Parents asked if I wanted to go with them today so of course I said yes since I havent been out yet this summer. 13 sales and the only games were some $10 apiece Xbox 1 games, nothing I wanted or could flip.

My mom bought a cast iron piggy bank for $1 cus there was change inside. Dad opened up the bottom when we got back and there was $1.05 in change and a $20 bill inside.[/QUOTE]
:lol::applause:So he made a $20.05 profit by buying it. That's funny. I know if I were selling anything at a yard sale, I'd check every pocket, nook and cranny just to make sure I didn't leave money or something valuable in, on, under or around the things.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Dryer vent? As in the one on the dryer itself? A Shop-Vac and/or a dryer vent brush($10 at Lowe's) would solve that problem and let you do it yourself.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I'm renting a condo right now and there is about 25 feet of duct between the dryer and the outside wall. The landlord has to pay to get it cleaned every two years.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Dryer vent? As in the one on the dryer itself? A Shop-Vac and/or a dryer vent brush($10 at Lowe's) would solve that problem and let you do it yourself.

:lol::applause:So he made a $20.05 profit by buying it. That's funny. I know if I were selling anything at a yard sale, I'd check every pocket, nook and cranny just to make sure I didn't leave money or something valuable in, on, under or around the things.:razz:[/QUOTE]

In the past month I've read two articles about people losing/finding diamond rings in pants at the GoodWill.

Moral of the story: Americans are dumb, check dem pockets/piggy banks.

[quote name='juangrande386']Parents asked if I wanted to go with them today so of course I said yes since I havent been out yet this summer. 13 sales and the only games were some $10 apiece Xbox 1 games, nothing I wanted or could flip.

My mom bought a cast iron piggy bank for $1 cus there was change inside. Dad opened up the bottom when we got back and there was $1.05 in change and a $20 bill inside.[/QUOTE]

We have found money in the pockets of clothing bought at yard sales more than once!

bread's done
Back