Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='TiKi2']^^ oh yeh, today someone told me an original xbox cost $250.

And yeh yard sales been sucking hard.[/QUOTE]

I mean, I live in an area where I don't think people are too up on all the current trends and think that a game system is a game system, so they can charge whatever the hell they want for it.

I went to the flea market today(it was late though, around 1, we just wanted to make sure we still got the produce stands) and missed anything that was there, so guess I have to try again next week.

Any of the ads I check out anymore just have old TVs, shovelware(if they even have games), board games, and shitty broken furniture, so I've given up on yard sales in general unless I happen upon it while driving around. Now that I have a weekend gig again, I don't think I'll be able to do anything except Sundays if I really want to go out.

Woke up early for an advert where everything was 50cents, including an NES System with Games. Crazy, right? I went over to the Yard Sale at the time and asked for the games but the nice lady told me that someone came over the night before and bought them. Such a shame. :cry: But I did pick up Saw and 28 Days Later for a dollar.

[quote name='Olengie']Woke up early for an advert where everything was 50cents, including an NES System with Games. Crazy, right? I went over to the Yard Sale at the time and asked for the games but the nice lady told me that someone came over the night before and bought them. Such a shame. :cry: But I did pick up Saw and 28 Days Later for a dollar.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what happens, fuck advertised sales. Freestyle.

[quote name='Olengie']Woke up early for an advert where everything was 50cents, including an NES System with Games. Crazy, right? I went over to the Yard Sale at the time and asked for the games but the nice lady told me that someone came over the night before and bought them. Such a shame. :cry: But I did pick up Saw and 28 Days Later for a dollar.[/QUOTE]

That sucks man

[quote name='Shaq-Funaki']That sucks man[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Those are terrible movies!

I've heard that same line a few times myself. And Ive tried to see about getting games the day before once or twice, but they never seem respond.

Edit: And yeah, I guess I really didn't do too bad this week. I think Im just getting lucky lately and I am starting to expect more return from yardsailing.

http://imgur.com/8nVih,qmMDv
Got all of the above for $20 at one sale. I didn't find anything the last two weeks. I was amazed at all the great games they had but I felt bad for the guy that arrived after me.

Also thank you to who ever posted the link for Videogamepricecharting it is very useful!

I needed something to console me! :[ I did score big this week but I guess I made my expectations go high after that. Bad move. :/

I'll probably do that but I might not be as lucky. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to actually have it at a garage sale to be actually fair game. But ehh.

^Nice! I really want to get a copy of Starfox again. Enjoy all the fighter goodness! Lol.

Nothing major but lots of stuff this weekend . . .

I got these bundled for $40 . . . pricey by my standards.

Already flipped for $75 . . . if I had it to do over again, I would've just left them for others.

2 for $10

Misc from 5 different sales

$2 for MW2, $1.50 for Cap SNK, $1 for Alien, .75 each for GTAs, .25 for Metroid

I've sworn off buy Gamecubes but how could I pass on this for $3?

Superclean . . . if I can add a clean controller . . . and find the right buyer . . .

This was my best find (next 4 pics). Marked $35 and I was surprised when the guy took $20:

Nice fat sys with, controllers, hookups, memory cards, and DVD remote. I immediately thought the games were solid but basic:

Then I saw there was also a set of PS1 games:

But then I saw these:

Spyro has scratches, Crash is very good, the other three have near-mint discs.

I was thinking . . . too bad there's no PE2 but I found one at another sale

This was a recent pickup. Dude had boxes of stuff and he wanted to unload it all at once, so I figured I could flip the doubles and keep the rest. Paid $100 for everything, but figure I should be able to turn a profit and still keep some choice items.

N64 and Games by ChuckT2012, on Flickr

This is what initially caught my eye - been having a field day flipping 64 items lately. System came with the expansion pack - score!

PS1 and Games by ChuckT2012, on Flickr

Lots of Square goodness, with MegaMan thrown in for good measure.

PS2 and Games by ChuckT2012, on Flickr

Never tried the Kingdom Hearts series, so will likely check it out.

Random Gaming Items by ChuckT2012, on Flickr

Random items at the bottom of the box. Doubles in terms of my collection, but easily flipped (well, not the football games), so no complaints.

RockBand and Dance Pad by ChuckT2012, on Flickr

Rock Band Guitar, Drums and Dance Pad. Happy to have the boxes for the Rock Band stuff.

XBox Stuff by ChuckT2012, on Flickr

Never owned an XBox, so will likely keep this stuff.

VCR by ChuckT2012, on Flickr

VCR was at the bottom of the box. Random find, but there are few people looking for them locally, so I'll be able to get rid of it no problem.

I still can't believe you all find N64s so frequently... literally have never seen one at a garage sale. My first year out, but still.

[quote name='Bing147']I still can't believe you all find N64s so frequently... literally have never seen one at a garage sale. My first year out, but still.[/QUOTE]

They go fast. I still see pretty many but I think they are getting a little harder to find . . . I have gotten a few of them by asking about games . . .

I'm seeing PS2s all the time right now.

Funny, I see N64s and PS2s the most but I have never seen a working SNES (1 broken) which seem to be plentiful on this site. This is after 1 1/2 seasons of garage sailing.

I see n64s and original XBOXes just about every single week. I don't even bother with them. I do check for expansion packs though which I hardly ever find.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Yea... every Xbox I've seen has been laughably overpriced. Most I'd pay for one would be like $5...[/QUOTE]
good luck. they still hold a $30 value

I saw one for $10 a few weeks ago and could have asked for $5. This was one day and 2-3 hours after the sale had opened so I guess people don't want them that much. Makes sense to me most good Xbox games can be played on the 360.

[quote name='uiengineer']good luck. they still hold a $30 value[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I'm not holding out for one. It's my least favorite console. I'd have trouble even forking over 5 for it. Pain in the ass to ship even if I intended to sell the fucker.

I used to see N64's all the time but now they have dried up in my area, I guess everyone already dumped them. I still see way too many Playstation 1's. I am starting to see a lot of PS2's but most are overpriced, though you can find a good deal if you keep looking, but you should save your money for a house that charges $5-10 rather than one that charges $25 or more.

I find mostly PS2s and GameCubes right now. As far as games go, I mostly find PS2 and XBOX. Anything cartrige based is snapped up as soon as the sales begin, and PS1 titles are becoming more scarce.

I'm about a month behind on postings....AGAIN! Hopefully I'll make the time for some photos to post soon.

[quote name='uiengineer']good luck. they still hold a $30 value[/QUOTE]

I got one with 12 games for about $10; they're not quite as worthless as ps1's but they're close.

It's pretty cool if you can get it set up but there is some stuff you need first. Namely an Xbox memory card or a hacked USB stick, and either 007: Agent Under Fire, MechAssault, or the original Splinter Cell. Basically the hack requires you to load an exploited save file for one of those three games.

[quote name='AugustAPC']Pain in the ass to ship [/QUOTE]

Damn, I've never considered hacking an Xbox . . . I should try it with mine--I haven't even started it up for at least 4 years.

The shipping factor is one reason that I've stayed away from Xboxes. You can fit most consoles in a flat rate box (with accessories and a few crap games)--so you know that the most shipping will be is $11. I guess you'd have to go to the large flat rate if you had to ship some distance--so you're at $15 for shipping.

On Amazon, it looks like you might get $50 for complete working console.

I don't think I've ever seen an Xbox for less than $50 and I've figured they have a "won't work" risk.

I've stayed away from the original PS1 (but buy the PSOne) . . . but it looks like they may be sellable if you can put together a complete working system . . . maybe $40 in collectible. PS1s are cheap but they always look soooo beat up and dead.

[quote name='AllFrankedUp']Is an XBox worth it to hack and run mame and other emulators?[/QUOTE]

At this point, I would say no. I would just save up and build a small/cheap PC to hook to your TV for that. With the Xbox, you can softmod it for cheap (Splinter Cell, extra controller break-away, extra USB cable with a female end, a jump drive, and some freely available software) but it's a pretty big hassle for a 733MHz Pentium 3 machine.

The only reason I'd go through the trouble of messing with one would be to swap in a larger HDD and run all your games off it for increased loading times and the ability to put all your games in storage. However, get ready to pay a premium for IDE hard drives. You can use a SATA to IDE connector, but I've read that they can occasionally cause corruption.

On the subject of the soft-modded Xbox, I did mine a year or two ago (still don't use it) and I didn't even need Mech Assault or Splinter Cell (though I have both from when I bought it). I found a torrent that had a pre-loaded utility that you accessed through the memory card management on the Dashboard. Went super easy and put an old 120GB IDE hard drive in it that I starting loading games to. Haven't touched it much beyond that.

The biggest pain in the a$$ was modifying the spare break-away cable to have a usb connection to plug the flash drive into... little cables and big hands don't mix well...

[quote name='Monoxide1986']On the subject of the soft-modded Xbox, I did mine a year or two ago (still don't use it) . . . Haven't touched it much beyond that.
[/QUOTE]

This is why I probably won't do it. I don't have enough time to play the games I have on hand, watch the DVDs or TV show I have in queue. Or read the books I'd like to read. When would I play games on a modded Xbox?

Still the project itself looks like fun.

Ive soft modded a few, in college we'd play a lot of Halo 2 over a Fraternity LAN. I still have splinter cell and the action replay, but its been about 4 years since I soft modded one.

I used them to stream media/emulation. But if anyone ever wants to get rid of theirs and its got a Phillips or Samsung dvd drive/larger HD I would be very interested. The most recent one I have has a bad dvd drive and Im not certain whats it running, not XMBC...I got that one cheap off CL for $40.

Lifehacker used to have an easy to follow guide on XBMC

Won't be going yardsailing this weekend =(
Going to the OC fair all day on friday, probably get there at 10 and leave by 8 or 9
Yay for chicken and waffles though!

Im glad I was able to get a few CL scores though. Paid $150 for $500 ish in merchandise.

AWESOME score this morning. Hit a few local sales, just drove around looking for signs and found one. Went up and asked if he had any older games because I saw a game code book and a few PS2 games, but they were junk. He says ya, he has some PS1 games he was going to put out but forgot, runs to grab them. Comes back with a stack of 12 games. I asked how much and he says .50 each. So got these all for 6.00. For any more I would have had to leave a few but at that price, what the heck, even on the junk ones.

Crash Bandicoot (complete, black label, couple of cracks in the spine but nothing major)
Crash Bandicoot Warped (Complete, greatest hits, really good shape)
Medal of Honor (black label, fairly mint)
Medal of Honor Underground (black label, complete but the cover of the manual is partially torn off)
Casper (complete, greatest hits... I HATED this game as a kid and seriously considered leaving it at .50 but it was a nice round number with it and I had no change and neither did he so I just took it...)
Spyro Year of the Dragon (Black Label, has the case and the holographic thing for the cover but missing the manual. Case is a bit scratched up but disc is good)
Doom (Greatest hits, missing the manual)
King's Field (Disc Only)
King's Field II (Disc Only)
King's Field: The Ancient City (Disc only, only PS2 game I bought and was mixed in with his PS1 games, didn't even realize it was PS2 until later, not complaining)
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (Greatest Hits, missing manual, disc and case are good)
Legend of Dragoon (Greatest Hits, missing manual, a couple of the things that hold the discs are broken but discs are still in good shape)

Considering buying all of those individually on eBay would have cost about $135.00 and I got them for $6.00, I'm happy. The Crash games and Spyro are duplicates for me, for sale they go. Should pay for my splurge today at the pawn shop.

I was 1 min away from nabbing a PSP for $15 today. I arrived with the guy ready to buy the PSP, a DS Lite and a few games.

Also I bought a DS Ltie at another sale for $10... then got my money back when I opened the thing and noticed the hinge was broken.

I'm happy enough after getting the N64 and Gamecube games last week so I don't think I'm going to cry in the corner today. maybe (damn I wanted the PSP)

Well here's my video game buy of the day. Bunch of Commodore stuff for $6. Not sure if they work and I have no idea how to test them! It looks so confusing!

ipyw4o.jpg

Good day, bought things at a total of 3 sales.

At one I got:

Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters (GB)
Dragon Warrior Monsters (GB)
Contra Shattered Soldier (PS2)
Namco Museum Vol 1: (PS1)
Namco MUseum Vol 3: (PS1)
Twisted Metal: (PS1)
Crash Bandicoot Warped: (PS1)
Crash Bash: (PS1)
Midway Presents: Arcade's Greatest Hits: (PS1)
Spyro Ripto's Rage: (PS1)
Spyro Year of the Dragon: (PS1)
Spyro the Dragon: (PS1) x2
Rayman: (PS1)
Crash 2: Cortext Strikes Back(PS1)
Crash Team Racing (PS1)

All for 4.00. Much of it is for sale, already had the Spyro's except for Ripto's Rage, already had all of the Crash games except Bash (and I will likely sell that anyway because I'm thinking I will sell a set of Crash 1-3, Racing, and Bash and see what it fetches), already had Namco Museum volume 3, already has Twisted Metal, but for that price, why pass? Plus, I didn't have Namco Museum Vol 1, either of the game boy games, Contra, or Rayman.

At another sale I got:

Romancing Saga (PS2)
Unlimited Saga (PS2)
Demon's Stone Forgotten Realms (PS2)
Shining Tears (PS2)
Phantom Brave (PS2)
Ephemeral Fantasia (PS2)
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2)
Silent Hill Origins (PS2)

Got them all for 18.00.

Finally, my best find of the day, got a copy of Star Fox 64 Player's Choice, SEALED for 10.00. That looks like it'll fetch me around 100.00 so good deal.

Here is what I picked up yardsaling Thrusday + Friday.
for $30

Crappy games:
Stuff I am keeping

Got a nice chunk of Nintendo Points for this year's Platinum

Got a working toaster model NES for $2. First toaster model that I found that works from yardsale or game store that doesn't need the pins replaced. Worth its weight in gold!

Rest of the stuff. Xbox games $2 each. Sonic Rush was $3. Shinobi for Game Gear $1. TI-82 $2. That was the gaming console that got me through high school :lol:

not a great day, but i did get this:

Gameboy Color (with battery door and serial number) with Pokemon red - $3
Hitman 2 CIB for PS2 - $1

i'm going to use the GB to do that lit screen mod (i have a non working SP w/ a good screen)

Went to some yard sales along 127 today since it was their week for their chain of them.I thought I was in for a long day when the first place I went to had a fat PS2 with 3 junk controllers for $100 and some sports games for it for $15 a piece. Fortunately I found a decent one after that. I picked up an N64 with 2 controllers, Mario Party 1 and 2, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong 64 and 4 other common games, Gears of War 2:GOTY, Spyro: Ripto's Rage(disc only), and my favorite find that I pulled from a box of random country cds, Tomba! for PS1. Paid $37 for all of it.

[quote name='Bing147']Good day, bought things at a total of 3 sales.

At one I got:

Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters (GB)
Dragon Warrior Monsters (GB)
Contra Shattered Soldier (PS2)
Namco Museum Vol 1: (PS1)
Namco MUseum Vol 3: (PS1)
Twisted Metal: (PS1)
Crash Bandicoot Warped: (PS1)
Crash Bash: (PS1)
Midway Presents: Arcade's Greatest Hits: (PS1)
Spyro Ripto's Rage: (PS1)
Spyro Year of the Dragon: (PS1)
Spyro the Dragon: (PS1) x2
Rayman: (PS1)
Crash 2: Cortext Strikes Back(PS1)
Crash Team Racing (PS1)

All for 4.00. Much of it is for sale, already had the Spyro's except for Ripto's Rage, already had all of the Crash games except Bash (and I will likely sell that anyway because I'm thinking I will sell a set of Crash 1-3, Racing, and Bash and see what it fetches), already had Namco Museum volume 3, already has Twisted Metal, but for that price, why pass? Plus, I didn't have Namco Museum Vol 1, either of the game boy games, Contra, or Rayman.

At another sale I got:

Romancing Saga (PS2)
Unlimited Saga (PS2)
Demon's Stone Forgotten Realms (PS2)
Shining Tears (PS2)
Phantom Brave (PS2)
Ephemeral Fantasia (PS2)
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits (PS2)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
Silent Hill 4: The Room (PS2)
Silent Hill Origins (PS2)

Got them all for 18.00.

Finally, my best find of the day, got a copy of Star Fox 64 Player's Choice, SEALED for 10.00. That looks like it'll fetch me around 100.00 so good deal.
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you are finding stuff. I was always curious about that area! :applause:

It's solid, though I see very little older than ps2 except for ps1. Have yet to see an n64 item except the sealed star fox, also haven't seen a snes game except a single sports game. Do see a few common genesis games though. Have to get out of schaumburg for good stuff, hit the surrounding suburbs.

[quote name='kermit036']Here is what I picked up yardsaling Thrusday + Friday.
for $30

Crappy games:
Stuff I am keeping

Got a nice chunk of Nintendo Points for this year's Platinum

Got a working toaster model NES for $2. First toaster model that I found that works from yardsale or game store that doesn't need the pins replaced. Worth its weight in gold!

Rest of the stuff. Xbox games $2 each. Sonic Rush was $3. Shinobi for Game Gear $1. TI-82 $2. That was the gaming console that got me through high school :lol:

[/QUOTE]
Those Nancy Drew games are actually pretty good, especially if you like Mystery Case Files.

bread's done
Back