Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='Trullyn']Got Rampage World Tour and Battle Tanx Global Assault for $1, then I found a box of comic books. I don't know much about them, but took a stab in the dark and purchased for $60.

P1010915.jpg

P1010914.jpg

P1010913.jpg

P1010912.jpg

P1010911.jpg

P1010910.jpg

P1010909.jpg

P1010908.jpg

P1010907.jpg

P1010906.jpg

It includes Wolverine #1 - $79, and the Limited series #1 - #4, and a bunch of other stuff.[/QUOTE]

Why can't I find those at yard sales? Only comics I ever see at yard sales are manhandled 3.0 or less grade books. I have to resort to live auctions to get quality comics cheap. Those all look like 8.0 or higher. The limited series values at $75 in 8.0 condition. Wolverine #1-79 in 8.0 is about $260.

[quote name='ferant316']Why can't I find those at yard sales? Only comics I ever see at yard sales are manhandled 3.0 or less grade books. I have to resort to live auctions to get quality comics cheap. Those all look like 8.0 or higher. The limited series values at $75 in 8.0 condition. Wolverine #1-79 in 8.0 is about $260.[/QUOTE]

They are for sale if anyone is interested, shoot me an offer :)

[quote name='crows in black']I tried a little underhanded trick today that seemed to work pretty well. Since I am always being beat by flea market resellers, usually by them emailing the people holding a yard sale and buying everything before the sale starts, I decided to post a fake yard sale ad. I said that I had a bunch of old boxed nintendo games, some that were never opened, and they were only $1 each because I didn't know anything about them and needed to get rid of them because I was moving. I made the "sale" on the other side of town of a sale I actually wanted to go to and had it start at the same time. This way I could lead all the resellers somewhere else while I got to the real sale by myself! It must have worked because I got tons of emails from people asking if they could just buy everything before my sale started, and strangely half of the emails were using the same line "my 4 year old kid really likes the original nintendo and I would like to buy all of these for him". I guess this is some new trick people are using to try and guilt people into lowering their prices or something, but I heard it a LOT. I know ts a pretty dirty move but its not any worse than people buying up everything the day before and no one else even gets a chance.....plus I got about 30 NES games, an SNES with 10 games, and a gamecube with 40 boxed games for $5![/QUOTE]

I posted this idea, but I never followed through. Scummy and awesome! :applause:

[quote name='crows in black']I tried a little underhanded trick today that seemed to work pretty well. Since I am always being beat by flea market resellers, usually by them emailing the people holding a yard sale and buying everything before the sale starts, I decided to post a fake yard sale ad. I said that I had a bunch of old boxed nintendo games, some that were never opened, and they were only $1 each because I didn't know anything about them and needed to get rid of them because I was moving. I made the "sale" on the other side of town of a sale I actually wanted to go to and had it start at the same time. This way I could lead all the resellers somewhere else while I got to the real sale by myself! It must have worked because I got tons of emails from people asking if they could just buy everything before my sale started, and strangely half of the emails were using the same line "my 4 year old kid really likes the original nintendo and I would like to buy all of these for him". I guess this is some new trick people are using to try and guilt people into lowering their prices or something, but I heard it a LOT. I know ts a pretty dirty move but its not any worse than people buying up everything the day before and no one else even gets a chance.....plus I got about 30 NES games, an SNES with 10 games, and a gamecube with 40 boxed games for $5![/QUOTE]

I got hit with a fake garage sale once, not fun, especially when your like
the 10th person to roll up to someones house asking about the garage sale. People were really pissed off, as I was later on....

You gotta do what you gotta do

Tricking people is a very uncool thing to do and it's far, far worse than buying items before a sale. But I would have absolutely no qualms about doing it myself, so I can't really knock it.

This isn't cool dude. Karma is a bitch my friend. I hope you keep that in mind.

TBH I don't see the difference between you and the other resellers. Even if you wanted to buy the games to play and not resell.. who cares, if they get to the yard sale before you, then wake up earlier. If your not willing to then its your own fault.

[quote name='Trullyn']Got Rampage World Tour and Battle Tanx Global Assault for $1, then I found a box of comic books. I don't know much about them, but took a stab in the dark and purchased for $60.

P1010915.jpg

P1010914.jpg

P1010913.jpg

P1010912.jpg

P1010911.jpg

P1010910.jpg

P1010909.jpg

P1010908.jpg

P1010907.jpg

P1010906.jpg

It includes Wolverine #1 - $79, and the Limited series #1 - #4, and a bunch of other stuff.[/QUOTE]

Pretty awesome. That person must REALLY REALLY like Wolverine. And who wouldn't? :lol:

The last 3 weeks have been slow in Orlando. This week was no different.

$5 Xbox with wires, controllers, a few sports games
$1 A Buzz and Woody action figure for my nephew
$2 A disc only Chocobo Racing, Disc only Berserk (DC), wavebird receiver, Final Fantasy VII manual, Japanese Final Fantasy Soundtrack insert
$2 Little Mermaid platinum Edition DVD
$5 A nice Ihome for the girlfriend
$2 A New Twilight Board Game for the Girlfriend
$1 A Ultimate Pokemon Guide and Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver Strategy Guide
$5 A few binders with newer Pokemon Cards - 20 holo rares / 30 other holos
$3 2 Resident Evil 4 complete Preview discs
$2 6 binder pages if Pokemon cards (10 first edition Holos that sell at $5-$10 apiece)
$1 A Transformers Cybertron Megatron loose (sells for $40 plus on ebay in loose condition)

I feel as bad for those flea market resellers that got baited into the fake yard sale as I do for the child molestors that get caught on that that old TV show.

Or the morons who steal cars on bait cop.

You should make it a weekly habit in your area.

If you indeed really do have competition in your area then they are probably doing things that are much dirty than that, or perhaps they have even tried the fake yard sale before. I would just be careful about the addresses you give out as ads can be tracked on CL and you could get found out unless you have a fake account or something, I don't really know how it works. The last time I posted on CL I had to do phone verification though. I mean you would have to give out a real address so the resellers can check and make sure its a real location, giving out the address of wrigley field or some business likely would not work.

The worst thing you could ever do is steal from a yard sale, and I have seen it happen here before, so as long as you aren't stealing from a yard sale then I can't imagine any worse.

LOL Giving out the address of Wrigley Field was a reference to the Blues Brothers. But yeah, it would suck to have people bugging you on a Saturday morning about a yard sale you aren't having.

[quote name='jer7583']I feel as bad for those flea market resellers that got baited into the fake yard sale as I do for the child molestors that get caught on that that old TV show.

Or the morons who steal cars on bait cop.

You should make it a weekly habit in your area.[/QUOTE]

With this logic you are stupidly assuming only resellers are going to these fake yard sales. What about other collectors and gamers who get tricked into going to this fake sale as well? It's not cool man. I hate resellers as much as the next guy but when you stoop to that level you're just as bad if not worst.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only hate the resellers that are dishonest and grab shit you are looking at. Besides that I don't really care.

But posting a fake address is just scummy.

I had the find of the year for me this weekend: First sale I stopped at saturday, just after 8am. It wasn't even one on my list from the paper, it just happened to be on my way as I was leaving my house. Walking up, I wasn't seeing anything that really appealed to me, a lot of tools, an area of clothes. Then tucked under a table I see a PS3 box all closed up with a tag that says $5. I'm thinking there must be anything except video games in there...I mean, $5 on a ps3 box and no sign of other game related stuff? I open the top, and to my amazement, there is a ps3 in the box! older guy running the sale sees me open it, and comes over. Says he doesn't know much about it as it doesn't have the cords or anything. I ask if it has the YLOD, but again he says he doesn't know what that means, and restates he's never plugged it in. Tells me he got it in with an auction lot of tools he bought, and has no interest in it. I'm checking it all over by this point: warranty seal intact, serial # is there, hard drive is there, and I see there is a power cord at the bottom of the box. I tell myself that this guy surely knows more then he lets on, it surely can't work, but the hard drive has to be worth more then $5, so maybe I can upgrade my 60 GB ps3, and hand over the $5 asking price.

well, to my amazement when I got home and hooked it up, it booted right up, no YLOD, no errors, booted MW3 right up, connected tot he internet, donwloaded all the updates, etc, and to my shock and amazement, I got a 320 GB PS3 for $5! Still flying high over that one. Looking around on the hard drive, it had only one game save file on it, and one profile. The profile wasn't even registerd to the playstation network. crazy! unbelievable!

551129_457720767593344_1340332363_n.jpg

We usually look in the local paper, which charges $29 per yard sale ad, so I don't think people are going to pay $29 to set up a fake yard sale ad.

Since the price of the ad is so high, I usually see a lot of unadvertised sales especially in the neighborhood of a listed sale. This gives me plenty to work off of. If I go to one sale that is in the paper, then probably 80% of the time there is another sale tacked on within walking distance, not including the unadvertised sales I might see when driving around.

I have never really looked at CL for yard sales and now with this information I will be staying far away as it would be a complete waste of my time and gasoline to go to what is potentially a fake sale. I have never used CL because I just figure the resellers will get to the stuff way before I even have a chance and the fact that people email the CL sellers and offer to buy stuff ahead of time. This would mean all the half decent stuff would be gone way before I would probably even arrive at the sale.

I have seen yard sale no-shows, but it does not happen often, and again I assume the person putting the ad in the paper would have a legitimate reason for not having a sale after paying for the ad.

My area also has a ton of unemployed people, and people that do not have jobs. This means that most of the sales start on Friday, I went out on Friday a few weeks ago and bought games, when these games would probably be long gone by the time I show up on Sat. morning. I don't have the means to go to yard sales on Friday so I lose out on any potential early finds. If you want to get games around here, you have to be available on Friday morning and have cash.

I am better off finding a deal at one of the hole in the wall unadvertised sales that I see when driving around that has not been advertised elsewhere.

Not a whole lot of a yard sales going on this past weekend for me, but I did find one with some video game items.

20120812_090548.jpg

A bit beat up and will require a bit of cleaning, but at $3 for everything, I cannot complain.

^^ Very nice!

Lol just found out that my mom threw out a big box of old SNES games (actually about two years ago) she remembered seeing zelda and mario games. Estimated about 20-30 games. Straight to the trash can!

Edit:
Wow, jedikiller. Didn't think you would break the record of my favorite find someone posted here (previous favorite was a working psp with a fwe games for $1
But $5 for a working ps3... you cant beat that.. I am officially jealous.

I actually got caught up for the second time with these fake craiglist
yard sales ads this past weekend. Don't really get to go to many Saturday sales anymore since i work every Saturday now, so anytime I actually see
a decent one for Sunday, I try make my way to one. Sale said it had stuff from atari, to old nes stuff, to current games. Took the 20 minute trip
to find no sale. Guess someone had a good time with making me waste 10 bucks in gas yesterday....

[quote name='ZombieToast']$10? Damn, you need car with better MPG.[/QUOTE]

Got a jeep, it eats gas, but it's paid off, so I'll stick with it for a while longer. But next car, yeah definitely going to go for better mileage.

Damn, I haven't had time to post--two weeks of weak finds. I don't know if I will catch up on pics.

When I first read about the fake ad, I thought it was a cool idea. After some thought, I have to come down on the critical side. I think the biggest factor is karma because you will affect some "innocent" people as well as some scumbags.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ZombieToast']But if you don't believe in karma, then all's well![/QUOTE]

Plus you can do anything you like if you don't give a fuck about anybody but yourself :)

[quote name='schultzed']Damn, I haven't had time to post--two weeks of weak finds. I don't know if I will catch up on pics.

When I first read about the fake ad, I thought it was a cool idea. After some thought, I have to come down on the critical side. I think the biggest factor is karma because you will affect some "innocent" people as well as some scumbags.[/QUOTE]

I think that is the conclusion we all agreed on when it was brought up in the past. I think it was 2 years ago, but I could be wrong.

I am months behind on my posts and I may not even bother anymore. The thread lives without me. It may be time to pass the torch...

I hardly find any video game stuff anymore especially since I aim for classics. But I do find stuff to buy every weekend. But because they ain't video game related I don't bother posting.

The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy
Shadowgate
8 Eyes
$5

Ninja Gaiden III
Mega Man IV
Kirby's Adventure
$12

TMNT Fall of the Foot Clan
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
TMNT III Manhattan Project
$12

[quote name='slowdive21']I am months behind on my posts and I may not even bother anymore. The thread lives without me. It may be time to pass the torch...[/QUOTE]

I miss your posts. It hasn't been as much fun this year. Last year there were many more "off topic" finds (like cool comics). It seemed we were all learning quite a bit.

[quote name='TiKi2']I hardly find any video game stuff anymore especially since I aim for classics. But I do find stuff to buy every weekend. But because they ain't video game related I don't bother posting.[/QUOTE]

About the same for me. This weekend I bought a movie project for $15 . . . turns out it is exactly this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell...US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item2ec0a66369

I don't think I can get as much for mine . . . it works but the take up reel isn't working (I had to turn it by hand as I ran a film). I wonder if the guy who reconditioned the ebay one would buy mine to flip. I don't know if I can find someone to fix mine . . .

[quote name='schultzed']About the same for me. This weekend I bought a movie project for $15 . . . turns out it is exactly this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-Howell...US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item2ec0a66369

I don't think I can get as much for mine . . . it works but the take up reel isn't working (I had to turn it by hand as I ran a film). I wonder if the guy who reconditioned the ebay one would buy mine to flip. I don't know if I can find someone to fix mine . . .[/QUOTE]

I ran by one of those style projectors the other day. Didn't know they had any value. Value is probably determined by the brand and model. The one I saw was yellowish.

[quote name='TiKi2']I ran by one of those style projectors the other day. Didn't know they had any value. Value is probably determined by the brand and model. The one I saw was yellowish.[/QUOTE]

It looks like the variable speed control is valued for film transfer.

Honestly, I just bought it because it was kinda cool. I had this old 8MM film that I picked up in a thrift . . . "D Day on Mars" and I wanted to run it. Turns out the film in the box was actually a very dull home movie . . . I had it sitting on the shelf for a few years and didn't know . . . fuck

This is what it looks like:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/4065932...e&ga_page=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

Off the wall question

Bought a Assassin's Creed Harlequin in the box missing the key.
I do not have the "doc" version but wondered if anyone here has both...
and if you do have both will the key for the doc version, fit (close/lock) the harlequin version?

It seems like it would...

Thanks

here's a link to a picture like the one I have

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RU8vXW4WLqU/TGDsQ2LobOI/AAAAAAAAT4c/gBbnvCPDDXk/Harlequin%2520-%2520JackInTheBox.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.redflagdeals.com/splatterhouse-collectable-mask-assassins-creed-harlequin-jack-box-972012/&h=367&w=269&sz=18&tbnid=_Syrfy2HmorgXM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=71&zoom=1&usg=__rtWq670x-CiQDNZOvPkPx3R-qN8=&docid=20OMHj8PdPkdqM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LeErUP-TIaa9ywHRioHwAg&ved=0CFMQ9QEwAQ&dur=3877

and the doc picture for reference

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&h...p=22&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0,i:92&biw=1280&bih=582

[quote name='slowdive21']I think that is the conclusion we all agreed on when it was brought up in the past. I think it was 2 years ago, but I could be wrong.

I am months behind on my posts and I may not even bother anymore. The thread lives without me. It may be time to pass the torch...[/QUOTE]

I would honestly find it hard to believe in my area that someone has everything from atari to PS3 and is putting it out on their lawn for sale, so that type of pitch would reek fake sale to me. I think you have to read the ad very closely and just try to spot the fake ones. But I think the one posted here about the guy having some boxed NES games and wanting to get rid of them for $1 each because he had a kid and didn't have time to play them anymore would be much more believable than a totally outrageous posting like having a ton of rare video games and putting them out for $1 each.

No one in my area has money to collect video games from atari to PS3 and if someone did have that kind of money they wouldn't be putting them out on a lawn for $1 each that is for sure if they needed to get rid of them. The people that usually put out games here have 1-2 old systems and a few games for each. They simply do not have a whole collection that they will put out for sale. I understand the need to pitch to the resellers when doing it but that type of pitch is just so far out that it is not even believable. No I am not saying it cannot happen, its just that there is probably a 1% chance of someone in my area doing that, same as there is about a 1% chance of a seller in my area putting out dozens of rare PS1 RPG's for $1 each.

[quote name='SaraAB']I would honestly find it hard to believe in my area that someone has everything from atari to PS3 and is putting it out on their lawn for sale, so that type of pitch would reek fake sale to me. I think you have to read the ad very closely and just try to spot the fake ones. But I think the one posted here about the guy having some boxed NES games and wanting to get rid of them for $1 each because he had a kid and didn't have time to play them anymore would be much more believable than a totally outrageous posting like having a ton of rare video games and putting them out for $1 each.

No one in my area has money to collect video games from atari to PS3 and if someone did have that kind of money they wouldn't be putting them out on a lawn for $1 each that is for sure if they needed to get rid of them. The people that usually put out games here have 1-2 old systems and a few games for each. They simply do not have a whole collection that they will put out for sale. I understand the need to pitch to the resellers when doing it but that type of pitch is just so far out that it is not even believable. No I am not saying it cannot happen, its just that there is probably a 1% chance of someone in my area doing that, same as there is about a 1% chance of a seller in my area putting out dozens of rare PS1 RPG's for $1 each.[/QUOTE]

Lord I was born a ramblin' man...

[quote name='SaraAB']same as there is about a 1% chance of a seller in my area putting out dozens of rare PS1 RPG's for $1 each.[/QUOTE]

Wow, there is a 1% chance of this happening! fuck that's pretty high . . . so for every 100 sales you go to, 1 puts out PS1 RPGs?

The fact that there is any chance of finding good games for cheap keeps me going.

Or to put it another way:

"Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1."

"Never tell me the odds."

Exactly. I hit at least 10 sales for every good one. Sometimes more. But when I find a sealed Star Fox 64 for 10.00, or a 3DO for 10.00, or a Turbografx 16 with a few games for 25.00, or 26 PS1 games (including a few RPGs) for 9.00, where else are you going to get that?

[quote name='Bing147']Exactly. I hit at least 10 sales for every good one. Sometimes more. But when I find a sealed Star Fox 64 for 10.00, or a 3DO for 10.00, or a Turbografx 16 with a few games for 25.00, or 26 PS1 games (including a few RPGs) for 9.00, where else are you going to get that?[/QUOTE]

crap I missed the turbografix post. link please!

That was in Georgia before I moved here, lol. I have actually yet to buy anything off Craigslist since moving here, though I've thought about a couple of lots. Had an agreement on a nice n64 lot and then the guy stopped responding. Posted it again a week later... for less than I'd offered... dunno what was up there...

Stone Protectors isn't very common, but I don't know if it's all that valuable. As far as I know, there has never been much demand for it. Damn good game, though. I played that sucker almost as much as TMNT IV and Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle. I'm tempted to go track down the old cartoon series.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Stone Protectors isn't very common, but I don't know if it's all that valuable. As far as I know, there has never been much demand for it. Damn good game, though. I played that sucker almost as much as TMNT IV and Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle. I'm tempted to go track down the old cartoon series.[/QUOTE]
i agree. not much value...maybe $5-10. It is a fallacy of some to equate rarity with value. That isn't always how it works. (It is clear you are aware of that, so I am not knocking you).

bread's done
Back