Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

I had meant to post this when I found it, as I was incredibly excited, but never got around to it. I got the Genesis with everything for $5, and the PS2 with games for $10 from the same sale. I probably could have haggled, but I was too excited to do so.

The PS2 lot isn't too spectacular, though I ended up with 3 Crash games, and a disc-only Legend of Legaia which was in a little baggie with a bunch of kids games. Whatever, I'm not complaining.

The Genesis lot is much better though. It's a model 1 with the Power Base Converter accessory which lets it play Master System games. Most of the games are common, but the notables are Shadowrun, Shining Force, Shining Force II, then Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe which are some personal favorites. Also came with 2 6-button controllers, and 2 normal controllers.

Not pictured, but picked up a week earlier is a sealed Inuyasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale for $0.50.
Garagesalefinds001.jpg

[quote name='SaraAB']I dunno what is gonna happen to all my stuff when I die, it will probably get thrown out, or else I will die alone in a house a happy hoarder and no one will even know about it, as my only brethren will be my cousins, whom I will likely lose contact with as soon as they are grown and gone, I don't want kids and refuse to have them, especially since my children would just wait for me to die so they could get all my money and stuff as does every other child in my family. This would be fine and all, but I don't think my hypothetical children would care about any of this old stuff anyways, they would probably just get a dumpster and throw it all out. My cousins will probably be old by that time and they won't want to deal with any of it anyways.[/QUOTE]

I've been there with estate management issues--and a saying from a numismatic magazine always struck me as wise, "If you spend ten years accumulating, expect to spend ten years selling." Really the best thing you can do while you're alive is to sell anything you don't use and absolutely love--for one thing that's resources you personally can use, and two there'll be less loss due to inheritors being unable to appraise everything.

Another thing you can do, if you're worried about continuity for things of little monetary value (like books)--find somebody younger who appreciates them and pass along noteworthy selections a little at a time. My older brother did that, and though many of his books had to be chucked when he moved out of state, just about everything I received previous to that remains in my personal library.

[quote name='SnesGuy']

2012-08-11_09-59-39_27.jpg

Got the gamecube and DS game both for $5 (she wanted $7)

The controllers and SNES I bought all thrown together in a box for $3
The woman I bought them from said she buys storage lockers.
She told me if she found more she would facebook me ;) (again, I live in a pretty small town)

Edit: btw the analog sticks on the 64 controllers feel brand new, was extremely surprising. nice and springy
Edit 2: Also got a pair 5 tier pine DVD/CD shelves for $1\ea[/QUOTE]

Just traded that SNES and a couple dupe games, for a Sega Saturn ;)
Saturn Model 2, 2 controllers, and 6 games and 2 samplers.

download

I didn't buy these at a yard sale, but I figured I might as well post this cool haul I bought today.

It's hard to see what's in that pic, but for $5 total I bought a slim ps2 with 8mb memory card, a gamecube gameboy player disc, and an empty Mario Kart DS case (for the unused nintendo points inside).

The slim ps2 didn't come with a power cable. If anyone knows the best place to buy a slim ps2 power cable, I'd greatly appreciate some help. I was thinking of going the eBay route. I figured this is definitely the best forum to post this question. :p

The background of that crappy photo is my new executive office chair I also bought along with the games. That chair probably retails for about $300 - $400, but I only paid $25.

My mom's friend was taking my mom to an office building that was selling all of their office supplies. The owner brought a bunch of stuff from his home to sell also. That's how I managed to get cheap videogame stuff shopping for old office supplies. I also bought a nice desk lamp and a few other cheap office things.

Well wasn't planning on going to any yardsales today. But turns out there were three in my neighborhood. no gaming related finds unless you count a 42in crtv for free :D
heavy bastard. also got a '50s dresser for $5, and a early portable type writer for $10

I found this yard sale where this guy was selling all these cameras and electronics that belonged to his father that died, lets just say I brought home a large load for $3. The person was begging me to take more stuff. VCR's were 2 for a dollar and cameras were 4 for a dollar. I also found a set of brand new apple headphones with volume control for 50 cents. Also a sealed giga pet, I had to pay $3 but I know how much giga pets are worth and its a lot.

In addition to the camera stuff and VCR's and electronics and god knows what else I just picked up I just picked up a large NES lot for $15 at one of those hole in the wall unadvertised sales. The original asking price was $25 but I got the price down not that I needed to. The lot includes a NES, 4 controllers, zapper and a whopping 34 games most of which look like decent titles. Missing the NES power supply because the one in included is obviously not in suitable condition to be used but that is fine because I have one here. There were also some extras included like one of those bootleg N64 joysticks which I will be trying out just for laughs. Overall I definitely got my money's worth out of this lot.

I have just officially filled my storage room!

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']
download

The slim ps2 didn't come with a power cable. If anyone knows the best place to buy a slim ps2 power cable, I'd greatly appreciate some help. I was thinking of going the eBay route. I figured this is definitely the best forum to post this question. :p
[/QUOTE]
For instant gratification WalMart or GameStop may have them. My local GS actually had a used one yesterday.

Hell might be able to bargain with a GS employee for one.

[quote name='SaraAB']In addition to the camera stuff and VCR's and electronics and god knows what else I just picked up I just picked up a large NES lot for $15 at one of those hole in the wall unadvertised sales. The original asking price was $25 but I got the price down not that I needed to. The lot includes a NES, 4 controllers, zapper and a whopping 34 games most of which look like decent titles. Missing the NES power supply because the one in included is obviously not in suitable condition to be used but that is fine because I have one here. There were also some extras included like one of those bootleg N64 joysticks which I will be trying out just for laughs. Overall I definitely got my money's worth out of this lot.

I have just officially filled my storage room![/QUOTE]

How about a list? I'm a sucker for NES finds. :D

[quote name='slowdive21']When I die, schultzed will be there getting my stuff for pennies on the dollar...[/QUOTE]

And since you bought your stuff for pennies on the dollar, I'll be getting a fucking great deal :D

[quote name='slowdive21']^^I know I am the last person who should be asking, but please post your finds![/QUOTE]

The rummage pickings were slim this weekend . . . although I have a special surprise to post that I got from my storage locker buddy.

[quote name='slowdive21']^^I know I am the last person who should be asking, but please post your finds![/QUOTE]

LOL I'm just like you. I have two backlogs here on CAG, a backlog of games and a backlog of garage sale posts. I think mine date back to late June.

Okay CAGs so today I was faced with an outstanding moral dilemma. I was at my apartments annual yard sale and my wife's friend was selling a box of SNES games and she, my wife, asked if I wanted any of them. So I began taking a look and low and behold I found a complete system and about 40 games. All she wanted was simply $30 cash but I somehow turned it down to inform her she had close to $500 in the box. Mind you to highlight the box where; Zombies Ate my Neighbors, Knights of the Round, Secrets of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia and get freakin this EARTHBOUND! Yeah, I was always taught to do the right thing but let's be honest would anyone else have turned down this deal if it was their friend or wife's friend? Or did I just be an idiot?

[quote name='Nightfox31']Okay CAGs so today I was faced with an outstanding moral dilemma. I was at my apartments annual yard sale and my wife's friend was selling a box of SNES games and she, my wife, asked if I wanted any of them. So I began taking a look and low and behold I found a complete system and about 40 games. All she wanted was simply $30 cash but I somehow turned it down to inform her she had close to $500 in the box. Mind you to highlight the box where; Zombies Ate my Neighbors, Knights of the Round, Secrets of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia and get freakin this EARTHBOUND! Yeah, I was always taught to do the right thing but let's be honest would anyone else have turned down this deal if it was their friend or wife's friend? Or did I just be an idiot?[/QUOTE]
pretty much, you're an idiot. :)

[quote name='Nightfox31']Okay CAGs so today I was faced with an outstanding moral dilemma. I was at my apartments annual yard sale and my wife's friend was selling a box of SNES games and she, my wife, asked if I wanted any of them. So I began taking a look and low and behold I found a complete system and about 40 games. All she wanted was simply $30 cash but I somehow turned it down to inform her she had close to $500 in the box. Mind you to highlight the box where; Zombies Ate my Neighbors, Knights of the Round, Secrets of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia and get freakin this EARTHBOUND! Yeah, I was always taught to do the right thing but let's be honest would anyone else have turned down this deal if it was their friend or wife's friend? Or did I just be an idiot?[/QUOTE]

:imwithst:

You did "the right thing," but I would have bought the stuff, sold it, and used the money to take the wife on a cheap vacation somewhere.

Almost as much as an idiot as I am for selling FF 2, FF3, Illusion of Gaia, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Zelda LTTP, and more for about $10 each in 2000.

Good thing I had roughly that much in them though.

Should have at least bought earthbound, its EARTHBOUND , did she at least put the games away? Or did she still sell it all for $30

[quote name='burritoman']For instant gratification WalMart or GameStop may have them. My local GS actually had a used one yesterday.

Hell might be able to bargain with a GS employee for one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's really good advice. I'll definitely check a few gamestops. I have some trade ins to do also.

[quote name='Invicta 61']How about a list? I'm a sucker for NES finds. :D[/QUOTE]

List:

Adventure of Link
Zelda Gold Cart
Burgertime
Tom & Jerry
wrecking crew
ivan ironman stewart's off road
obligatory mario/duck hunt x2
karate champ
kirby's adventure
twin eagle
crystalis
qbert
donkey kong
krusty's fun house
TailSpin
shatter hand
ice climber
gyromite
paperboy
top gun second mission
strider
Jack Nicklaus golf
hudson hawk
track and field II
duck hunt
dr mario
yoshi's cookie
rescue the embassy mission
mega man 2
rollerblade racer (the cover art for this one is LOL)
Legend of Zelda gray cart
super mario 3
pinball

Overall its a great mix of games, and I see a lot that I don't have in my personal collection so I will be keeping those. Crystalis is the highlight for me as I have wanted that one for a while. I have not tested any games or systems but these games are in great condition on the outside with not much wear, no fading and they don't have stickers on them which is a major plus and seriously cuts down on my cleaning time. The gyromite cart is a bit chewed up but I don't have the ROB so I don't think I will be using that one any time soon.

Did alright today I guess, picked up for SNES:

Super Punch Out
Super Metroid
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Batman Forever

Gamecube:

Sould Calibur 2
Rayman 3

All for 20 bucks

I've done the same thing. It is the right thing to do. Though you could just say (since she is a friend of the family): "These are worth more than what you are asking, I am interested in some of them and I could sell the rest for you."

I've actually done this for strangers too...which is dumb. I remember there was a mentally disabled kid that was selling off his baseball cards and I found a Mark McGuire USA RC (that was actually at its peak in value) for 5 cents. I gave it to him and told him not to sell that one.

My biggest blunder was when I was buying comics on ebay from a local widow. She invited me over to look at her new old stock and I told her I would feel bad cherry picking all the good stuff. I could have bought $8,000-$10,000 in comics for about $500-$600.

If she turned around and sold the whole set for $30 anyway, you are certainly an idiot. If you felt guilty about the price, let her know the value and try to negotiate something reasonable. Usually when one of my friends have something I'm interested in they will give me a break on the price. I would have done this if it were a close friend, otherwise I would have snatched it up for $30. :D

[quote name='SaraAB']List:

The gyromite cart is a bit chewed up but I don't have the ROB so I don't think I will be using that one any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Nice mix of games, I also just picked up Crystalis earlier this year. Not sure if you already know, but Gyromite doesn't require ROB, you can just use the standard controller.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']
download

I didn't buy these at a yard sale, but I figured I might as well post this cool haul I bought today.

It's hard to see what's in that pic, but for $5 total I bought a slim ps2 with 8mb memory card, a gamecube gameboy player disc, and an empty Mario Kart DS case (for the unused nintendo points inside).

The background of that crappy photo is my new executive office chair I also bought along with the games. That chair probably retails for about $300 - $400, but I only paid $25.

My mom's friend was taking my mom to an office building that was selling all of their office supplies. The owner brought a bunch of stuff from his home to sell also. That's how I managed to get cheap videogame stuff shopping for old office supplies. I also bought a nice desk lamp and a few other cheap office things.[/QUOTE]

Slim ps2 power cable w/brick I might have an.extra

[quote name='Nightfox31']Or did I just be an idiot?[/QUOTE]

You did the right thing and shouldn't feel like an idiot.

I operate on a shakier moral ground ;).

So, I think I would've either given her $100 for all or given her the $30 and then later given her a cut from my profits as a surprise . . . I'm not really sure what I would've done in the moment. Might've depended on how close I feel to her (my wife's connection aside).

If I sold it all for $500 and netted $400--I'd give her an extra $200.

The bigger question (that I'm unsure about) is whether or not I'd come clean right away like you did.

What did she do after you told her . . . is she going to sell the stuff online herself???

Here's the thing my wife's friend had me look up the prices and shes selling them for what they are actually worth and she's giving me 50% of what ever is made.

Also, I only mentioned the prices of the games because she is a friend. Trust you me if I didn't know the person I would have bought it and run like hell.

Sad day. Didn't go Yard Saling again. Went and helped out at the my City's International Street Fair for the past two days. Today is the last day.

No you are not an idiot because you know them. Tribe mentality at work. Tribe members do things for each other.

But if you didn't know them. I'd say this........

How about next time you buy something "Made in China" you pay the fair amount instead of the depressed amount you are paying. Those people earn slave wages , worked to almost death and are sometimes treated like shit. Or how about you pay the fair amount for produce and other food items from your grocery store. A lot of migrants are housed 20-30 in a trailer and work their asses and paid pennies. So grocery store items are depressed as well

You are not here to educate others on the value of their items. Education comes with a premium. Take electricians, are they smarter than you? No, but they have knowledge that you don't, so they get to charge a premium because of the knowledge they have accumulated. Your premium is buying shit cheaper than what it is valued.

Ok I picked up yet more stuff today, I finally got an elusive BETA player!! It turns out it also appears to be a very expensive model. I got a whole ton of BETA disney tapes too. There were hundreds of BETA tapes at this sale too, and I probably should have grabbed more since the ladies running it were being very nice to me and giving me lots of tapes. I saw the tapes, asked if they had the BETA player, then I offered $5 if they found it. They found it a few min later and I was very happy. So I paid $7 for a beta player, a ton of disney tapes (2 versions of tron!) and a B&W Sony Watchman.

This may go down as my most valuable haul ever because I looked up the player and they appear to be selling for $300 not including the value of the tapes. This one is in good condition but does not have the original remote, however they did include another remote. I tested it at the sale briefly but I haven't hooked it up to a TV yet. I will have to do further testing on this unit.

This is such an incredibly epic find for me that I have decided to include a picture!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No sales today because of weather so I went in a store that mainly sells older games for ebay prices and I found Sunset Riders for SNES for 1.99!! I had no idea it was worth anything then I looked it up and saw its worth about $36 so somebody screwed up majorly on that one! Of course I didnt want to be "selfish" or "immoral" so I paid them $40 for it and then promptly gave the game away for free to a homeless kid

Holy shit!

My old boss has a Beta video camera. Maybe I should see if he wants to get rid of it. He might even have some blank tapes too.

Beta is supposed to be better than VHS as far as audio and video quality, but I think there may be a limit on how long a movie can be. Can't remember, all I know is we always had VHS, never Beta.

[quote name='SaraAB']Ok I picked up yet more stuff today, I finally got an elusive BETA player!! It turns out it also appears to be a very expensive model. I got a whole ton of BETA disney tapes too. There were hundreds of BETA tapes at this sale too, and I probably should have grabbed more since the ladies running it were being very nice to me and giving me lots of tapes. I saw the tapes, asked if they had the BETA player, then I offered $5 if they found it. They found it a few min later and I was very happy. So I paid $7 for a beta player, a ton of disney tapes (2 versions of tron!) and a B&W Sony Watchman.

This may go down as my most valuable haul ever because I looked up the player and they appear to be selling for $300 not including the value of the tapes. This one is in good condition but does not have the original remote, however they did include another remote. I tested it at the sale briefly but I haven't hooked it up to a TV yet. I will have to do further testing on this unit.

This is such an incredibly epic find for me that I have decided to include a picture!

img0499py.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/QUOTE]

Nice! Yeah SONY brand beta players are hard to find. I have seen other brands, but the SONY ones are the most valuable and reliable. I want one!

[quote name='burritoman']Holy shit!

My old boss has a Beta video camera. Maybe I should see if he wants to get rid of it. He might even have some blank tapes too.

Beta is supposed to be better than VHS as far as audio and video quality, but I think there may be a limit on how long a movie can be. Can't remember, all I know is we always had VHS, never Beta.[/QUOTE]

^^That is correct and it is part of the reason VHS won the format war (the porn industry being the other part). Actually beta is/was used in television production. Now most places are digital, but if it is an older station or public access they still use a form of beta tapes...I think they were called betacam or something like that.

I think that most people won't put it out because lets face it, its large and heavy and perhaps the seller thinks that no one wants it anymore. Again I had to ask for this, it was not put out. I asked at 2 other houses this weekend for a beta player so the third house was a charm. I haven't seen one in 12 years of yard sailing but I am sure they were lurking in people's houses if I just asked.

The funny thing is my mother had rented a beta video camera back in the day to make a video of me on my 3rd birthday party, because my aunt and uncle at the time had a Beta player but could not afford the camera so it had to be rented, however unfortunately the tape was lost in the shuffle of family and moving from apartment to apartment and stuff. I am really, really mad about it, especially now because I have the player that can play the tape, but to console myself I have to assume the tape would have deteriorated because of the environment it was stored in!

I haven't been finding much all summer, I think I have some competition? when I ask for games I keep hearing "first thing we sold" etc. Had some good finds this weekend though.

These are from two different sales, everything pictured was $.25 each, or $1.25 total.
2 ps2 controllers, a playstation game/mem card holder, xbox mortal kombat deadly alliance and god of war II ps2, with second disc (both games are missing original cases).

This guy was a ways out on a dirt road, and was a reseller, said he buys storage units. Everything in the picture was bundled for $4 total.

Includes charmed final season, mind of mencia season 1, legend of dragoon (missing disc 1 and manual, but I found disc 1 a few months back, so now have the full game), phantasy star III, rage against the machine cd, and an apple ac/usb adapter.

Went back to the storage guy's sale today with my mom and picked up everything in the above 2 pics for $5.

Includes: Infinite discovery guide, a psone with screen (includes cords for a ps2, and a controller), tony hawk ps1, 360 soul caliber IV (CIB), 360 MUA and forza 2, gordan ramsey F word series 3, and kane and lynch dead men.

On the not so great side...

I got 360 COD MW2 disc only and COD MW, for $ 7, but MW2 is to damaged to play or install (so I am going to look to borrow a copy to install).
Also the psone screen doesn't work, no power when I use my psone power cord, and on back the power jack is a bit chipped (powers the system though). If anyone has any troubleshooting advice, pm please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because I am also friends with my wife's friends (or at least the ones she actually talks to), I would've done the same thing. And in return, I think they still would've let me take the games for their original asking price. But if it was one of her other friends, I would've kept my mouth shut. I guess that makes me "bad", but for what it's worth, the games would've gone in my personal collection and not on eBay.

I'm posting from my phone because I still don't have Internet in the house I just moved into. So no pictures this time however I
had some pretty damn good finds.

Friday: at an unadvertised sale I asked about video games. He goes into his garage and emerges with a filthy crate with a few nes games. After sifting through them there in pristine condition was a copy of Duck Tales 2 which I paid $4 for.

Saturday: found some great pics and board games at sales but nothing video game related on the way home I decided to stop at a pawn shop where I bought a copy of Sunset Riders for $5. Probably one of my favorite games growing up.

EDIT: almost forgot but I found a disk only copy of Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Souless army for the ps2

[quote name='Nightfox31']Here's the thing my wife's friend had me look up the prices and shes selling them for what they are actually worth and she's giving me 50% of what ever is made.[/QUOTE]

Here's my weird ethics . . . I might've just taken all the stuff for $30 and given her 50% later (bad on my part for not being more honest) but I wouldn't take 50% after the fact for just explaining the stuff had value. I would accept a finder's fee (something limited) but I wouldn't take half if the stuff is her's and she does all the work.

[quote name='uiengineer']that is for cart only. a CIB is probably $125. but this one looks like it is in great shape, so who knows. it could fetch $200[/QUOTE]

There are ones with a manual at $120 on Amazon. I think you're right that its "worth" about $200 but I was wondering if anybody has any more knowledge on it.

Though I'm no pro at pricing this stuff usually a minty CIB item is worth at least 2.5 times the cart only value, especially for a rare title like that. That is absolutely beautiful, BTW. You plan on selling it?

[quote name='Invicta 61']Though I'm no pro at pricing this stuff usually a minty CIB item is worth at least 2.5 times the cart only value, especially for a rare title like that. That is absolutely beautiful, BTW. You plan on selling it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't justify holding it . . . I collect but I'm not a collector.

Its worth more around $150

You can get a near mint one on nintendo age fairly often for that price. Just really depends when the buyer comes.

You could have a buyer next week if you would take $120 and could wait over 6 months to get $180.

bread's done
Back