Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

ydQGY.jpg

Not much today, but it's my first yard sale finds in a long time. Complete 1982 Trivial Pursuit with silver screen cards, complete Fable TLC, and sealed School House Rock DVD, all for $8.

I passed up on a few Pokemon games the seller wanted retail prices for.

[quote name='slowdive21']Hey guys/gals, isn't there a rare sega cable that was for a CD or 32x or something? What does it look like?[/QUOTE]

I think you are speaking of one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20065305900...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2244wt_904

Usually when you run across a 32X this cable is missing. They are pretty much impossible to find in the wild, but fortunatley a fellow CAG gave me this link. Apparently they started reproducing them. I think there were two different versions; a model 1 and a model 2. I'm not 100% sure on that since I can't remember what came with mine when I bought it new back in 1995.

One other thing to look out for the 32X came with two different metal adapter plates, one for model 1 and one for model 2, that went over the cartrige imput to prevent the unit from wiggling in the slot. They are not absolutely necessary but if you want a complete setup it is something you want.

[quote name='Nightfox31'](I grabbed Knights of the Round for SNES)[/QUOTE]
Is this game rare/valuable? I might actually have a stroke if it is extremely rare and valuable...

[quote name='burritoman']Is this game rare/valuable? I might actually have a stroke if it is extremely rare and valuable...[/QUOTE]
not rare. worth $25 or so. CIB would be more (there isn't much data)

well gonna give yard sales another shot, found a community sale ad that advertises "over 500 nes snes n64 gamecube gameboy ds 3ds wii xbox xbox 360 ps1 ps2 ps3 psp" games starting at 25 cents I texted him and says he has around 45 NES/SNES games so gonna give it a shot. Just worried it might be a dealer/reseller as he states they will buy/sell/trade games. Luckily its not far from my place. Wish me luck

[quote name='ROB64']
ydQGY.jpg

Not much today, but it's my first yard sale finds in a long time. Complete 1982 Trivial Pursuit with silver screen cards, complete Fable TLC, and sealed School House Rock DVD, all for $8.

I passed up on a few Pokemon games the seller wanted retail prices for.[/QUOTE]
Sheesh, it's like that version of Trivial Pursuit is a required item for all sales. I swear, I see it almost every single time I go to a yard sale or thrift store. It's a great game, though...but I think we've already gone through all of the questions.

Woohoo got something today! Not much but I passed on a dirty ass N64 without cords but had Zelda for $20.

I ended up with
Tomb Raider PS1 Complete
Tomb Raider 2 PS1 Complete
Resident Evil PS1 Complete (original jewel case version)

Passed on a 360 that was sitting in the rain as well as some shitty anime.

Not a bad day, it was raining and there were not many sales going on.

[quote name='uiengineer']not rare. worth $25 or so. CIB would be more (there isn't much data)[/QUOTE]

I actually have the box and manual; not sure yet if I'm going to keep it as trade bait or use it to seed a manual lot. SNES paper right now is all over the place; I've been trying to finish off a few common / uncommon manuals and some are hard-to-find at a reasonable price.

Today turned out good for me; on the third sale I visited the ad mentioned ps1, ps2, and xbox games. At first I was thinking reseller, so expectations weren't high...but when I arrived on site there were these sparkling jewel cases at $1 each:

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot Warped
Crash Team Racing
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Medal of Honor
Metal Gear Solid
Namco Museum Vol 1.
Resident Evil: Director's Cut
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Survivor
Spyro the Dragon
Spyro: Ripto's Rage
Tekken 3
Tenchu Stealth Assassins

Halo 2: Limited Edition (xbox)

Paid $18 for everything here. Just about all the ps1 games have Near Mint discs too *thumbs up*

Now don't go anywhere because this dream has a Part 2 coming up. So my eyes are running over some not too exciting selections; a psOne for $15 and an original xbox for $50. However, the xbox is resting on another box which has camouflage colors, a Capcom logo, and just happens to be a Steel Battalion Controller CIB. The price? $50.

Now I'm paying for my ps1 games, contemplating whether I have room to take on this beast; but considering it has the Steel Battalion game CIB as well.. I offer $40 and we settle on $45.

The guy was even nice enough to give me his phone number in case any cords were missing or it didn't work--and I've got to say it's a joy meeting people like this, the gamer who is looking to pass along his nicely kept things to a good home. And to a home it went; I've got it hooked up in the basement and it works like a champ :D

^^^We have had good luck with Steel Battalion. I never knew it existed until one of us found one. I think that is number 5 or 6 for the yard sale CAG crew.

Nice I found Steel Battalion controller and games only about 2 years ago for $40?. I eventually trade it into a local store, but you can easily get $200+ with it being complete

NES HAUL DAYYYY!!!!!

First sale I went to I said hello to the woman working, and bought lemonade from a little girl (just because I remember being that kid sitting there while everyone walks past you so I figured it was a nice thing to do). I look around and see nothing, then I ask the girls mother if she has any video games. She goes to ask her husband who comes back with an official Nintendo game case with 10 NES games including.

-Tecmo Bowl
-Super C
-Contra X2
-The Adventure of Link
-SMB 2
-SMB 3
-Snakes Revenge
-Super Glove Ball
-SMB/ Duck Hunt

The price.....$10 :D he was hesitant but the woman said I seemed like a nice guy so he gave me the deal. I guess it just goes to show that being polite and all that jazz can yield good results. If I hadn't bought any lemonade maybe he would have walked out with a box of 10 copies of fuck for SNES :cool:

Second sale I walked into the garage and it instantly started POURING, like apocalypse end of the world kind of storm. I asked about games and the guy went inside to check. He came back with 11 games :D only problem is, the garage wasnt attached to the house so everything got soaked....he cut me a deal because it was all soaked and for $5 I got

-Stinger
-Gotcha!
-Anticipation
-Star Voyager
-Star Force
-Batman
-Little Mermaid
-10 yard fight
-R.B.I Baseball
-The 3 Stooges
-Freedom Force

All in all a great day, and I decided to head home early because of the rain :)

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slowdive21']^^^We have had good luck with Steel Battalion. I never knew it existed until one of us found one. I think that is number 5 or 6 for the yard sale CAG crew.[/QUOTE]
i bought a gorgeous CIB Steel Battalion for $60 from some guy in the Chicago suburbs in 2010. it was the green button first run of the controller. it also included both games and the strategy guides for both games.

So after the duds all season, today was the last community yard sale of the year (where people set up in different booths at the park)

First booth these were mixed in with vhs tapes
$5 total
includes: Street fighter 2, baseball game, castlevania dracula x, stanley cup and battleclash are CIB (i think, what are the rules for this?), SMB 2 box and sleeve only (no cart), Skate or die cart, box and styrofoam, a snes manual, a snes nintendo power poster, and 2 madden manuals.

$5 total
RE 4 CIB
Zelda Windwaker CIB
NFS HP CIB
NBA street vol 2 CIB
Tony Hawk complete, except no disc
2 memory cards, gc brand 251, and the animal crossing one

My mom called me over said the kid have a playstation for $5, for the whole box:

ps1 fat, missing av cable, both controllers have frays, but has manual

a bunch of games

bunch of random stuff, empty game cases, ps2 game manuals, a ps2 cheat book, and a christmas cd?

These were from two different sales
GC memory card $1
GBA power adapter $1
zapper $1.50

lastly not VG related but I found:

JBL Creature $10

and an old bundy clarinet for $5

[quote name='slowdive21']^^^We have had good luck with Steel Battalion. I never knew it existed until one of us found one. I think that is number 5 or 6 for the yard sale CAG crew.[/QUOTE]

For sure, it's like I've joined the CAG Steel Battalion club now :cool: It's strange though, the guy even mentioned it being worth $200 but I guess with it being so bulky he just wanted it gone to clear up space.

[quote name='orcafan8']castlevania dracula x[/QUOTE]

fuck . . . my finds seem like crap after hearing about a Dracula X and CIB Steel Battalion . . .

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']sucks, sorry :/[/QUOTE]

eh I had a bad feeling it would be a dealer though funny thing is he advertised it as a "community sale" but he was the only one there and was just in the grass in front of a tennis court.

[quote name='uiengineer']are those buttons blue or green? I can't tell.[/QUOTE]

buttons look blue to me and that is a nice pick up. I would love to find one just because it looks like a lot of fun to play with that huge controller I don't even know if the game is any good but still would be fun

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']eh I had a bad feeling it would be a dealer though funny thing is he advertised it as a "community sale" but he was the only one there and was just in the grass in front of a tennis court.

that's pretty funny :lol: such fail lol

Went out and hit a fewsales this morning. nothing great, but I did get some sealed pokemon boosters that I think might be something.

I got a set of adapters to run HDMI or CAT5, as well as a bluetooth speakerphone, a sealed lego set that isn't worth much, and a few CDs.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']eh I had a bad feeling it would be a dealer though funny thing is he advertised it as a "community sale" but he was the only one there and was just in the grass in front of a tennis court.

buttons look blue to me and that is a nice pick up. I would love to find one just because it looks like a lot of fun to play with that huge controller I don't even know if the game is any good but still would be fun[/QUOTE]

In my area resellers are everywhere masquerading as yard sales, but if you keep at it long enough you'll better recognize the "repeat offenders" and locations which have dried up. With ads being misleading, it's sometimes best to follow a path which is convenient to you in a quasi-fractal, chaotic manner.

I haven't played much of SB, but so far it's cool in an arcade cabinet experience kind of way. You really need a good chair and table set-up though; my initial test from a low-seated couch with a coffee table was somewhat less than optimal with the footpedals.

Today was a lousy day for me. Picked up some junk for myself that I didn't need that will just take up room.

Gaming related my brother bought LA Noire for $7 and I got an official sega dreamcast bag for $1

I hit up 3 sales Saturday morning. Nothing too exciting. Honestly the find of the day was not actually a game, but a Dualshock 3 controller that a lady sold me for 5 dollars. I think she thought it was for PS2.

The second sale had some decent gamecube and DS games. Price was slightly higher than I would have liked:

Mario Party 4
Mario Party 6
Mario Sunshine
Kirby's Canvas Curse
Animal Crossing Wild World

I spent 35 total on those.

Last sale I went to I got a few PS2 games:

Mortal Kombat Deception
FFX
Dirge of Cerberus
Bloodrayne 2

Those were 15 bucks.

So yeah, not fantastic deals or amazing finds, but still pretty decent I think.

[quote name='KingTruffle'] Price was slightly higher than I would have liked:
I spent 35 total on those.
[/QUOTE]

Assuming they're all complete . . . those are worth about $85 on Amazon . . . so you did well especially if you were adding to your collection.

[quote name='Artrigis']Picked up some junk for myself that I didn't need that will just take up room.
[/QUOTE]

This is a real danger with rummage sales . . . I try to resist overbuying myself but it is tough when you see "cool" stuff and get lost in the moment.

[quote name='schultzed']I try to resist overbuying myself but it is tough when you see "cool" stuff and get lost in the moment.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I have a mound of about 50 board games from this year. Have yet to touch any of them. -_-

[quote name='SnesGuy']Yep. I have a mound of about 50 board games from this year. Have yet to touch any of them. -_-[/QUOTE]

Rofl. Yeah.. I have about 7 board games from the past few months, havent touched one. Though a couple are pretty interesting looking and cool sets.

Today was the first time i have every went to a yard sale, never even tried to haggle the price. The guy wanted 5 a piece for each snes cartridge. Then he finally said ill give you everything in the box for $25. Thought it was a pretty good deal.

Woohoo got me one more yesterday evening. AFTER I came home and took a nap, we had to go to the store.

Lady had a few things, one was a broken DS, she said it wouldn't charge. Gave it to me free, I took it because it looks practically new, and the hinge on mine busted last week.

Was going to take it apart and frankenstein them together, but decided to swap the battery out of mine and it works like a charm!

I didn't have much time on either Fri or Sat and there weren't as many sales . . . we are definitely hitting the end of the season here :whistle2:(

On both days (Friday and I will post Sat. later) I apparently zigged when I should've zagged. Headed off to a part of town where I had no gaming finds . . .

I did pick up this early on Friday:

I was attracted to the sealed rechargable 9 volt . . . and I got all of this for $2. The woman was down on them because they don't last long. The charger is crappy--so it doesn't indicate bad batteries. I put the AAs on my better charger and learned that 9 of 20 are just dead. The other 11 look like they should be fine. Likewise 1 of the 4 AAAs is dead. I don't have capacity for the Ds and Cs . . . so I will have to use the Everyready charger and weed them out by trial and error. It looks like they are the same. Get rid of the duds and the rest should be OK for general use. She (and her kids) were probably using one good battery with one bad one with frustrating results.

I did get this after an an hour or two of looking:

Paid $3.

I found other media (books, DVDs, and CDs) . . . enough to make me happy on a slow day but then toward the end (after noon) I finally found more gaming stuff.

This one guy had some interesting things . . . 1970s antiques (but nothing for me) but then I found this in a corner of his garage . . . he hadn't gotten it out into the sale:

I saw the SNES box first and tried to keep calm . . . then I found the system and was hoping for some great games. Of course the games are crap . . . I never find a great bundle. But he accepted $10 for all. There are some 2600 Pong paddles . . . sounded like he had sold a 2600 earlier . . . should've gotten there sooner.

2 bricks in one day . . . one works great the other is so-so.

At the very next sale, I found this:

Marked $25 . . . I pitched $10 and paid $12. They had a few crappy games . . . Carbon was the best one and was in the system box. I wonder if they had some better Xbox games but they sold early.

[quote name='SnesGuy']Yep. I have a mound of about 50 board games from this year. Have yet to touch any of them. -_-[/QUOTE]
We're up to about 200 games now, but we've actually played most of them.

[quote name='ZombieToast']We're up to about 200 games now, but we've actually played most of them.[/QUOTE]

I wish I had the time or energy to play any of mine. I work 5 - 6 days a week, 10 hour days in a factory. All I do is sleep and work.

I've been wanting to play hero quest for months >_

[quote name='schultzed']Assuming they're all complete . . . those are worth about $85 on Amazon . . . so you did well especially if you were adding to your collection.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they are all games that I didn't have. So I guess I'm pretty happy with them considering that nugget of information. :D

What are yall doing to resale items found at Yard Sales? I've been out of the game for a year due to WAY too much work (only got to go 2 Saturdays this year), but I still have some dupes of FF VII, etc. that I'd like to offload on Ebay. BUT, last night I noticed their FVF is up to 9% + 2.9% for Paypal. 11.9% is crazy.

For anyone that does resale a few of your finds, what avenues are you using?

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']What are yall doing to resale items found at Yard Sales? I've been out of the game for a year due to WAY too much work (only got to go 2 Saturdays this year), but I still have some dupes of FF VII, etc. that I'd like to offload on Ebay. BUT, last night I noticed their FVF is up to 9% + 2.9% for Paypal. 11.9% is crazy.

For anyone that does resale a few of your finds, what avenues are you using?[/QUOTE]

They raised their FVF because they made listing items free (up to 50 a month a believe.) I use ebay just because it's easy and I get the most out of the item (compared to trading in or craigslist.)

Cool board game find this summer for me was Kage by TSR. Played this surround and conquer game with my daughter. Very easy to learn, would be real fun with like minded strategy player. Like new condition. Found at church rummage sale.
$4 dollars for the box including Dragon Age PC, Dungeons and Dragons art book, 3 foot tall spongebob, Sea Battle electronic game (it works, handheld version of battleship), other household and make wife happy stuff.

Saturday was just a few hours. I headed to the other side of town where there was a "neighborhood" rummage which turned out to be 3 pathetic households. I did find these just off of that area so it wasn't a complete bust:

$4 for all.

I had poor luck for awhile and then headed back to the part of town where I got some good stuff on Friday. Sure enough, I spotted this:

Of course, there's crap for games. The system was marked $20 but she accepted $10. I asked if she'd throw in the games but she wanted $5 more. I walked away with the sys and 15 secs later she came running and gave me the games.
Then I went on a run where it seemed that every sale had games.
At this sale I bought a laptop which I hope to give to my nephew (with a new battery I think it will be OK). The laptop was priced at $25 and she accepted my offer of $20 so fast that I realized I should have said $10.

But then she sold me the Madden (sealed--already flipped for $22) for $5 and the PS2 for $5 (marked $10 each). I paid $5 for the GBC because of all the carts (but no Pokemon). She thew in the Crash.

The next sale I spot the white PS2 but its marked $50.

I offered $20 and she countered $25 so I asked if she'd throw in the Singstar (which it came with--but she had extra) and she agreed.
Now, I'm back near my house but I have a little longer before I need to be home so I head in another direction. I spot an unadvertised sale and find games.

This guy had some PS3 and Wii games but he was holding the line too strongly on prices. I did dig around in this bin and pulled out some old-school stuff. I was trying to deal with this guy but he was pretty firm . . . I bundled this stuff and paid $50 for all. Afterward I was just chatting with him and I made the mistake of saying "did you sell much stuff?" Maybe he was blowing smoke but he says that all that I was looking at was only 1/4 of what he had at the start . . . on Friday . . . about 5 blocks from my fucking house. I don't know if I went in this direction on Friday . . . maybe I went by at 8:30 and he started at 10:00 either way it sucks.

Work was having a charity yard sale on saturday. I was setting up for it and found a virtual boy for 5 dollars and two games (mario tennis and wario land). I also got about 30 games for various systems because we were told to mark them 3 a piece. Most are crappy games you can get for 3-10 at gamestop though and some were sports. I just felt bad paying 5 for the virtual boy It works and in great condition so I just went ahead and bought the rest of the games and electronics they had. I did get a bit ripped off though because I bought a sound bar for ten dollars and that makes popping sounds. I had all the good electronics stuff bought before it even opened to the public.
Right now I have a local craigslist post for best off for virtual boy I want to see if someone trades me something for it that I may want. If that doesn't pan out I am probably going to throw it up on ebay or cag trading forum. I just don't like dealing with shipping stuff so trying craigslist first.

Man I am so sick of the crap going on in my area lately, all I ever see anymore are sales that use the words "antique" and "vintage" to describe everything. Its in at least 90% of all garage sale ads! And now a lot of people are even stating things like "dont expect yard sale prices" or "i know what this stuff is worth" or "fair prices but not giving it away". Why even have a yard sale at all? Just sell the shit on ebay if its so damn valuable! Wait I know, youre "too busy" for ebay, buy not so busy you cant spend 3 days sitting in your garage holding a yard sale. What ever happened to people just wanting to get rid of things? Now everyone thinks they are running an antique store out of their front yard. Its not just for games either, I see it for all kinds of things

[quote name='crows in black']Man I am so sick of the crap going on in my area lately, all I ever see anymore are sales that use the words "antique" and "vintage" to describe everything. Its in at least 90% of all garage sale ads! And now a lot of people are even stating things like "dont expect yard sale prices" or "i know what this stuff is worth" or "fair prices but not giving it away". Why even have a yard sale at all? Just sell the shit on ebay if its so damn valuable! Wait I know, youre "too busy" for ebay, buy not so busy you cant spend 3 days sitting in your garage holding a yard sale. What ever happened to people just wanting to get rid of things? Now everyone thinks they are running an antique store out of their front yard. Its not just for games either, I see it for all kinds of things[/QUOTE]

this, was driving saw a yard sale, selling a WEDDING DRESS for a grand >.> at a YARD SALE :twoguns:

needless to say they had about 10 "yardsales" since june trying to get rid of everything

[quote name='crows in black']Man I am so sick of the crap going on in my area lately, all I ever see anymore are sales that use the words "antique" and "vintage" to describe everything. Its in at least 90% of all garage sale ads! And now a lot of people are even stating things like "dont expect yard sale prices" or "i know what this stuff is worth" or "fair prices but not giving it away". Why even have a yard sale at all? Just sell the shit on ebay if its so damn valuable! Wait I know, youre "too busy" for ebay, buy not so busy you cant spend 3 days sitting in your garage holding a yard sale. What ever happened to people just wanting to get rid of things? Now everyone thinks they are running an antique store out of their front yard. Its not just for games either, I see it for all kinds of things[/QUOTE]

Around here if this happens people either won't show up at the sale, or they simply won't buy if the prices are too high. I don't do it but other customers are more than happy to tell the seller that their prices are too high. I see overpricing a lot, probably why most lawns around here still have 80% of their stuff left on the 3rd day of the sale. If I saw an ad like that I would NOT go to the sale, I would note the address of the sale and write never to go to that house. But I don't think anyone around here would bother to place an ad like that in the paper since its almost sure if you do that no one will show up and an ad in the paper costs $29 for the weekend here. I can see people doing this on CL because its free to post but I can't imagine it being a good thing for business.

Although writing down the address and noting not to go to it for any reason might not be a good idea, some of these people get fed up, and throw everything into the trash or they eventually have a sale with very cheap prices because it comes to a point where they NEED to get rid of stuff. That would be great if you like to trash pick. Especially since trash picking outside of houses is legal here. I have met people that would rather throw items into the trash than sell for a cheap price... I don't get it, but some people are like that.

I have stopped caring about the houses with nothing but overpriced merchandise, if I see one, I don't buy anything at that house and move on to the next sale. I will find a house with well priced items eventually, and I save my money for those houses. Those houses with good prices will get my money.

There are reasons for not selling on ebay, fees, and items that are too heavy to ship like furniture, also because the person is probably too lazy to list, or has items that are really not worth anything on ebay, but they want to make it seem like they are worth something so people will come and buy them out of pure stupidity. You also need a credit card and bank account to list on ebay since paypal is required, and some people do not have those things.

A lot of people also have no idea how to use a computer. It's surprisingly common and I would estimate that at least 20% of people in this area don't own one.

bread's done
Back