Official 2012 Yard Sale Thread

[quote name='ferant316']Its not in the discussion but I still play Maximum Carnage, such a great game.[/QUOTE]
Damn, I wish I hadn't sold that stuff years ago.

That game was awesome too! I actually beat it once, seemed like it took forever. I liked to spin the guys like a pizza. Lol.

[quote name='burritoman']X-Men and Spider Man is a shitty game, but X-Men Mutant Apocalypse is pretty badass. I actually wish I still had my SNES to play that.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I might have to try it out. Was kind of thinking of playing some of these for once before selling them. But my backlog is so big and I have so many hours scheduled at work how can I fit it in.....

[quote name='SaraAB']Lets all be honest here, who else skipped lunch to buy things they really wanted? I know I did! It would have definitely been worth it if the items were JRPGs! My mom would have been horrified probably if she found out about it when I was doing it but fortunately I didn't tell until many years after the fact (though the items I was buying were not video games).

Come to think of it kids over here get free lunches and breakfast now, so there will be no money collecting for them.. they won't be going hungry but they are at a serious disadvantage if they want to save money to get something.[/QUOTE]

My parents gave me $12.00 a week for lunch. Most lunches were either $1.85 or $2.00. There were cheaper items though, I could get fries for $1.00. Or an ice cream cone for $00.25. It was pretty common for me to just get an ice cream cone, or just grab some fries even on the days I did eat lunch. I probably averaged spending about $6.00 or $7.00 a week. Some weeks less though, some weeks I spent just a couple of bucks if I wanted to buy something. I could get greatest hits games for $20.00 so two weeks of not eating much did the trick.

[quote name='ferant316']That's a little bit better than what my parents have to do since they started it every August my dad complains because its $600 in one lump sum in August. Says its easier to pay the $3.75 a day then $600 at once. Funny too because I'm only 10 years older than my sister and when I was in the same High School lunches were $1.90. Almost doubled in price in 7 years.[/QUOTE]

9th grade lunch was 1.35 4 years later 1.75 / 1.80 no idea what it is now >.>

[quote name='SaraAB']Yeah I was given money in these sorts of situations, being on the honor roll in high school I got quite a bit of money, though most of my friends got a lot more. I wish I was the under-performing kid who was offered $300 for bringing his average up to an 80. I had an average of 91 in high school and I was given $50 for that! If I knew what I knew now and knew that my parents were the bribing type I would have purposely underperformed in the beginning then quickly brought my grades up in order to get the rewards... but then again I don't know if that would have actually worked.

What I mean by spoilage now is that parents will buy their kids anything and everything on a whim, not just for doing something good, kid says they want an iPod, they get one, kid says they want a toy in a store, they get it, no questions asked, there is no waiting for birthday or Xmas in order to get a gift since all they have to do is say the word and the item is handed to them.[/QUOTE]

Feel fortunate, my parents didn't believe in paying for grades (neither do I for that matter... but ya). It was my education and my job to get good grades, my reward was the education is what they always said.

I got my money in four ways:

1. As previously mentioned, saving out of my lunch money.
2. Off and on when we could afford it I'd get an allowance. We couldn't afford it consistently though. I got $5.00 a week when we could afford it, but it was well under 50% of the time.
3. Working for my land lord. He had a set of green houses and I'd work there when he needed extra help after school or on the weekends. It wasn't consistent, but by high school I could often pick up an extra $40.00 once or twice a month when it was in season.
4. Summer job, I corn detassled in the summer. I usually made around $700.00 a summer. It was usually gone three months later, mostly on games, lol.

I usually also got one game for my birthday and one for christmas (sometimes I could pull one handheld game and one console game for Christmas) though there was also usually around $50.00 in Christmas money (including gift cards) and by high school when my parents stopped giving birthday presents and just started giving cash ($100.00) I usually got a total of around $225.00 for my birthday.

Between it all, I got my fair share of games, lol. Plus, I was not trade in averse to get more (though I kept a lot). Plus I worked for a game website all through high school. When that started, I started getting around 5 review games a week (which when they were often crap got traded in).

I never got an allowance or had lunch money to save up and my parents don't do birthdays or christmas, but I did pretty great. Because my dad has been going to garage sales since I was 4.that's how I got a lot of my games. I had ps1, n64, genesis, snes(but not a lot of games, cause they werent that common back then), xbox and got a new game every week about. Then eventually I sold all my old games and other stuff in a yard sale, and used that money to buy a ps2 and some games, and then cycled through trading for new used games Until about 3 years ago when I took the cash I had on me and started going to garage sales myself and buying stuff to flip.

I got a job at age 16. Before that I had a $4/week allowance. No pay for good grades even though I was on the deans list (3.79+/4.0 GPA). I ran a little Caesars (yes at age 16) and I would occasionally (in the mornings when it was slow) take the phones off the hook, lock it up and go to the arcade down the street for a hour with my friend who also worked there. That is one of the few bad things I had done as a teen. I live a boring life. :lol:

EDIT: I went to gsales as a child with my parents and as soon as I could drive, I started to go with my friends.

I hit a few garage sales with my grandma growing up but the only game related find I remember finding was my old intellivision with 20 or so games for 4.00.

I got a job at 16 too....which was actually about 4 months ago. Really helping out with game buying. But most of the money is going into savings. I'd tell you what my job is but I don't think anyone would believe me.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I got a job at 16 too....which was actually about 4 months ago. Really helping out with game buying. But most of the money is going into savings. I'd tell you what my job is but I don't think anyone would believe me.[/QUOTE]

You're a Jedi Knight, I know your secret.

[quote name='TheHelix']You're a Jedi Knight, I know your secret.[/QUOTE]

...wow, it has been so long since I paid attention to my username on here that I had no idea what you were talking about for a minute. Though seriously, I have the most atypical job for a 17 year old guy to have.

[quote name='Obiwan456']...wow, it has been so long since I paid attention to my username on here that I had no idea what you were talking about for a minute. Though seriously, I have the most atypical job for a 17 year old guy to have.[/QUOTE]

You gotta tell us now!

I....sell women's clothing to middle aged business women. Over the phone at a call center. And I'm really, really good at it.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I....sell women's clothing to middle aged business women. Over the phone at a call center. And I'm really, really good at it.[/QUOTE]

I guess you can use the Force over the phone. Learn something new every day.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I....sell women's clothing to middle aged business women. Over the phone at a call center. And I'm really, really good at it.[/QUOTE]
I don't see what's so strange about that. I thought you were going to say that you're a fluffer or gumologist or some such.

I work in a call center too. Though i am in customer service and not sales (though i do sell some). Luckily i got off the phones and into internet response. The level of crazy is actually higher but easier to take in writing.

*waves hand*

These aren't the purple plaid capris you're looking for.

I never got an allowance either, but I started mowing lawns, raking leaves, and snow shoveling when i was 13 with another one of my friends.
We had a constant 6-8 houses every season that would give us jobs, so I always had some money as a kid. Started working at 17 at Boston Market(Boston Chicken at the time). Minimum wage was like 5 something if i remember right back then (1997). I thought that was great money back then, although my car smelled like chicken all the time, even for like 2 months after I quit that job...

Ain't no shame in working for a paycheck, no matter what you are doing.

Just curious though, is this magazine based where women calling you already knowing what they want and you upsell them, etc. Or are you cold calling women asking them if their deadbeat husbands have bought them a snuggie yet?

Either way, sales takes talent.

[quote name='Obiwan456']i actually have no idea what that leads to, those i do sell those too.[/QUOTE]

AlBundyOnCouch.jpg

Yes, it is catalog based, where most women call in knowing what they want and I upsell specific item. It's all inbound.

Thing is though, it's starting to get busy because of the holiday season, and now I'm starting 50 hour a week shifts and working on my regular days off, which kinda sucks. I just hope I don't get to more than 50.

[quote name='ferant316']That's a little bit better than what my parents have to do since they started it every August my dad complains because its $600 in one lump sum in August. Says its easier to pay the $3.75 a day then $600 at once. Funny too because I'm only 10 years older than my sister and when I was in the same High School lunches were $1.90. Almost doubled in price in 7 years.[/QUOTE]

Really off topic but:

For $3.75 a day it better be a gourmet meal! You don't have the option to brown bag it, because for that cost I think you could save a ton if you brown bagged it. High school lunch from 1995-1999 was 1.35 for the whole lunch. Our food was GOOD homemade food (the pizza was amazing, and home-made by the cafeteria ladies), until senior year when they started giving us the frozen processed foods, which almost no one bought, and if they did buy it, they weren't eating it. There was still the option to bring your own lunch in a bag. I don't know what happened after that. But I learned to like a lot of different foods from high school lunches. I still make tuna macaroni salad just the way our high school did (though I don't serve it with an ice cream scoop like they did)!

Another oddity was we were REQUIRED to take a milk if we bought school lunch, no other options were offered, not even water, it had to be milk and it had to be on our tray. They did have every kind of milk, including chocolate though. A lot of milk got wasted because of this. We had choices for the other options, we didn't have to take vegetables, so at least there weren't a lot of those wasted, but they were available if you wanted them and didn't cost extra, and you could get just a sandwich, or the hot sandwich of the day which was $1.

The cost and options boggle my mind. I went to 2 different grade schools, both did not have cafeteria's equipped with cooking equipment, and did not serve hot lunches. We were required to brown bag it. The food brought was not monitored in any way, you could bring anything. The only hot food we ever saw was if we were good we got a pizza party once or twice a year. There was no fridge to keep our food in so we had to bring something that would hold all day. They had a fridge to keep the milk in, if you wanted milk you paid something like $3 a month and you got a milk every day for the whole month. At least the milk didn't come in glass bottles like it did when my uncle was in school, it was in a paper container. My first grade school didn't offer milk, you had to bring a drink in a thermos, the milk thing didn't even happen till I got to my second grade school. I ate peanut butter and jelly every single day up until high school, and I still eat it today though I make it with low sugar jelly, real peanut butter and non-processed bread of some sort. I didn't even know there was the option to buy your lunch at any school until we got to high school. Apparently now everyone gets their lunches hot from the cafeteria right from kindergarten and I have heard that some schools even require the children to eat the cafeteria food and they aren't allowed to brown bag it. I am not sure if my situation is unique but this is the way it was for me.

[quote name='SaraAB']Really off topic but:

-snip- Our food was GOOD homemade food (the pizza was amazing, and home-made by the cafeteria ladies), until senior year when they started giving us the frozen processed foods, -snip-[/QUOTE]

high school food was good 9th grade was horrid 12th grade tacos went from ground beef that you would make at home to a greasy pool of grease with beef particles, as well as 12th grade they served "mozzarella sticks" that were filled with you couldn't have guessed CHEDDAR!

Just scored at a church rummage sale:
Commdore 64, complete in box
Vic 20, complete in box.
25 cents each.
These things have the manuals, cords, everything. Pretty cool find, although they are nearly useless beyond the collection factor.

[quote name='Kovorkian']high school food was good 9th grade was horrid 12th grade tacos went from ground beef that you would make at home to a greasy pool of grease with beef particles, as well as 12th grade they served "mozzarella sticks" that were filled with you couldn't have guessed CHEDDAR![/QUOTE]

Exactly what happened here, except I had about 3 1/2 years of good food before the crap was brought in. The taco's were small prepacked tacos swimming in a pool of grease just as you say. Probably one of the most disgusting items of food I ever ate in my life. Previously to this the taco's were served with real meat and they actually looked like a taco, I am not sure what the frozen ones looked like, but they weren't tacos.. The frozen pizza was world's different than the previously home-made pizza that was served. We didn't get mozzarella sticks, but we did get chicken wings once a month or so, they were actually good.

Someone posted a sale that includes snes games, but didn't post the time. Do you guys think that this a fake yard sale. BTW he posted pictures, but I'm still suspicious.

[quote name='jman2avatar']Someone posted a sale that includes snes games, but didn't post the time. Do you guys think that this a fake yard sale. BTW he posted pictures, but I'm still suspicious.[/QUOTE]

...There are fake yard sales?

[quote name='RabbitSuit']...There are fake yard sales?[/QUOTE]

To quote an old book of which the title i have forgotten "Other people are hell"

[quote name='RabbitSuit']...There are fake yard sales?[/QUOTE]

Yup, fell for one of the fake ones listed earlier today. Post said it had
nes, snes, genesis and other systems and games. Was supposed to be at
10am, went there right before 10, and nothing was set up, no signs, no anything. Unfortunately some people get their jollies on posting fake ads and having people go to random houses for no reason. I wonder if they sit there, by these houses, and watch all the shmucks like me pull up to these random houses, and just laugh at us as we all pull away pissed....

[quote name='robwhois']Yup, fell for one of the fake ones listed earlier today. Post said it had
nes, snes, genesis and other systems and games. Was supposed to be at
10am, went there right before 10, and nothing was set up, no signs, no anything. Unfortunately some people get their jollies on posting fake ads and having people go to random houses for no reason. I wonder if they sit there, by these houses, and watch all the shmucks like me pull up to these random houses, and just laugh at us as we all pull away pissed....[/QUOTE]
I think they do it to pull people away from sales they plan on going to.

Once again, after this thread I will never believe another craigslist ad, as the fake sale seems to be a very popular tactic these days, though if a sale sounds too good to be true it probably is.

I am to the point where I don't even use CL anymore because anyone going thru the trouble of posting on there is almost always going to think they are sitting on gold and charging ebay prices. The only time you will find good stuff for yard sale prices is by going to community sales or finding ones that just say something vague like "video games" . if someone actually refers to it as an "nes" or "snes" then its a reseller. if someone has like 5 different systems (sega, nes, snes, atari, etc) then its a reseller. You are better off just doing it pre-internet style

Just don't majorly deviate from your route unless you have a good reason. If the ad is right in your backyard or is otherwise quick and convenient to get to = always worth checking.

The only good thing i could say at least was that it was really close to my job, oh and that it put me near a Savers I usually don't visit often, and I found some good thomas the train stuff that I can flip to make my gas money back and then some...

[quote name='crows in black']I am to the point where I don't even use CL anymore because anyone going thru the trouble of posting on there is almost always going to think they are sitting on gold and charging ebay prices. The only time you will find good stuff for yard sale prices is by going to community sales or finding ones that just say something vague like "video games" . if someone actually refers to it as an "nes" or "snes" then its a reseller. if someone has like 5 different systems (sega, nes, snes, atari, etc) then its a reseller. You are better off just doing it pre-internet style[/QUOTE]

I seem to find the best stuff, most well priced, in general at small, hole in the wall unadvertised sales. If someone is putting it on CL I agree with you they are looking for the most for their money and they already know about the online market. Therefore I won't waste my time with CL as it will take away time I could be spending at the smaller sales that have a generic ad and could contain anything as I have a limited amount of time to work with. In general though, the people that have high prices for whatever reason won't sell a thing or will sell very little, so I have the satisfaction of at least knowing these people will have to haul it back into their house or find a way to dispose of it otherwise if they have high prices and the stuff is not moving as I have seen enough to know that pretty much no one in my area is a sucker and they simply won't pay the prices. Yes I am sure there are people who purchase an overpriced item here and there but I am saying if you have $20 and $50 on worthless junk, its not gonna sell.

There are games at sales that don't advertise games, even if the sale is already advertised, and that is where most of the finds are.

But yeah if its close by and on your route go ahead and check it out, it never hurts to try, but I wouldn't go 20-30 min out of my way for a specific CL posting.

I think that the person having the yard sale won't be a re seller because he is moving to another state and has other items for sale besides video games. He even posted pictures and has a cell phone number on the listing, so I think that he is legit.

[quote name='jman2avatar']He even posted pictures and has a cell phone number on the listing[/QUOTE]

This means people have already called him and picked out the good stuff.

I was one of those callers. He only said that the sale starts at 9 o'clock, so hopefully he didn't let anybody buy the stuff early otherwise I'm going to be pissed.

Saw an Ad that said Nintendo, Atari, Sega, and Playstation. I pray that no one called them. Hopefully, I get there at the time and not have a lot of competition. They did say no early birds so. :/

Luckily, I might get a very good deal in the end.

bread's done
Back