Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='MasterSun1']Umm, no chance TCU jumps Oregon or Auburn. They'll remain #3 in the human polls, but might jump up to #1 or #2 in the computers. That's not good enough to reach #1 or #2 in the BCS.[/QUOTE]

With all the debating you do in this thread you really have no common sense. Let me break it down for you.

TCU completely demolishes number five Utah, not by 21, 28 or 35, but 40 fucking points. I don't care who you play on your schedule, you will jump from 3 to 1 everytime.

I like Oregon and Auburn, but beating an under 500 Washington and Chattanooga does not make them better this week. I am not saying it will stay this way, but they will be number one Sunday night. I know your going to say Utah was overrated, but that's not TCU's fault. The only people that will be voting Oregon and auburn this week are their home state and conference writers.

edit: Damn A&M, is not playing around

Margin of victory doesn't factor into any of the computer rankings though, so that's moot. And I doubt the human pollsters will jump them over Auburn or Oregon even with the beat down.

TCU will gain ground in the computers from strength of schedule since they beat the #5 team, while Auburn beat a lower division team and Oregon a bad BCS team. But probably not enough to make up the pretty big gap between them and Auburn in last weeks BCS points ranking.

Just the way it is, not saying that's how it should be.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']With all the debating you do in this thread you really have no common sense. Let me break it down for you.

TCU completely demolishes number five Utah, not by 21, 28 or 35, but 40 fucking points. I don't care who you play on your schedule, you will jump from 3 to 1 everytime.

I like Oregon and Auburn, but beating an under 500 Washington and Chattanooga does not make them better this week. I am not saying it will stay this way, but they will be number one Sunday night. I know your going to say Utah was overrated, but that's not TCU's fault. The only people that will be voting Oregon and auburn this week are their home state and conference writers.[/QUOTE]

We'll see who has no common sense when the polls are released tomorrow. TCU isn't going to jump to #1 or #2 in the human polls, especially since Oregon and Auburn won their games handily. TCU is a great team, but they exposed Utah as a above average team.

Damn! I was really hoping Iowa State would pull off the upset to let Mizzou back into the North race.

EDIT: I guess that doesn't even matter if MU loses to Texas Tech.

As much as it's probably not fair, it's going to be hard for an undefeated TCU/Boise to jump Auburn or Oregon without a loss. Last week Auburn was #1 in every single computer ranking and I somehow doubt that's going to significantly change.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']As much as it's probably not fair, it's going to be hard for an undefeated TCU/Boise to jump Auburn or Oregon without a loss. Last week Auburn was #1 in every single computer ranking and I somehow doubt that's going to significantly change.[/QUOTE]

Auburn still has a fucking hard schedule left... esp with Alabama in the Iron Bowl and then the SEC championship. If they pull through all that.. they deserve it

It really doesn't matter. TCU, even undefeated and everyone else losing, will most likely not see that championship game.

Well this week was a bad week for the Big 12... Oklahoma down, Mizzou down, Baylor smacked up

Zona showed that they were overrated when Stanford smacked them up.

LSU continue to win.

As for my team, the skies open for us to take our side of the ACC (with both NC St and Maryland both losing) yet we decided not to show up for our game against UNC. Defense busted assignments, Ponder continues to overthrow/throw behind receivers, and in the crunch our kicker shanks. Ugh...

[quote name='lordopus99']It really doesn't matter. TCU, even undefeated and everyone else losing, will most likely not see that championship game.

Well this week was a bad week for the Big 12... Oklahoma down, Mizzou down, Baylor smacked up

Zona showed that they were overrated when Stanford smacked them up.

LSU continue to win.

As for my team, the skies open for us to take our side of the ACC (with both NC St and Maryland both losing) yet we decided not to show up for our game against UNC. Defense busted assignments, Ponder continues to overthrow/throw behind receivers, and in the crunch our kicker shanks. Ugh...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say Arizona was overrated. They did beat Iowa afterall. More like Stanford was underrated. They've only lost to the #1 team in the nation while taking care of business against everyone else. They'll get an at-large bid if they win out and it would be well deserved. If Rodiguez is ousted at Michigan, Harbaugh will bolt for Ann Arbor.

Impressive win by LSU, but Alabama just wasn't impressive. And then South Carolina losing to Arkansas. Shows that the SEC isn't top of the world, but they are definitely deep like the Pac-10. Oregon State losing to UCLA though is baffling. Auburn looked good against Chata-whaeva. Iron Bowl should be interesting.

I love how CBS is talking about LSU potentially making the BCS NC game without winning the SEC. Because load of crap. The tweaks in the BCS formula made over the past few years is to prevent such a scenario from happening. Auburn losing to Alabama and then losing in the SEC title game would not catapult LSU over an undefeated BSU or TCU.

[quote name='MasterSun1']I love how CBS is talking about LSU potentially making the BCS NC game without winning the SEC. Because load of crap. The tweaks in the BCS formula made over the past few years is to prevent such a scenario from happening. Auburn losing to Alabama and then losing in the SEC title game would not catapult LSU over an undefeated BSU or TCU.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny, especially for a team that would be on the same footing as Mizzou and Oklahoma right now if not for two confused Tennessee DBs. Even accepting that it tries to avoid this kind of thing, the BCS just makes for such absurd discussions. There's simply no rational reason for LSU to be within spitting distance of eclipsing an undefeated BSU or TCU. It's fucking ridiculous.

[quote name='Magus8472']There's simply no rational reason for LSU to be within spitting distance of eclipsing an undefeated BSU or TCU. It's fucking ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

A rational reason? No. But "LSU is in the SEC and Boise State and TCU are in small-time conferences" is a perfectly valid "college football is crooked" reason.

So, I'm going to go ahead and call an upset next Saturday.

Auburn is going to fall to Georgia, because it the kind of game Georgia will want. A game where nobody will think that they can win.

Really, I just want to see the nations top scoring team vs the nations top defense in the national title game.

I'm just hoping Auburn falls some where.

[quote name='lordopus99']It really doesn't matter. TCU, even undefeated and everyone else losing, will most likely not see that championship game.
[/QUOTE]

No way, if TCU and/or Boise are the only undefeated teams they'll be in the title game for sure this year.

Neither will jump Oregon or Auburn if they win out, but no way a 1 loss team gets in over TCU or Boise this year given where they're ranked. Oregon and Auburn both lose, then TCU and Boise will play for it as they'd be 1 and 2 in the human polls, and both are OK in the computers. VT's resurgence is helping Boise, and they still have to play Nevada who's ranked.

That said, I'd love for one or both to get jumped by 1 loss team as that would for sure get Congress all over the BCS and get this lame ass system scrapped and a playoff in place.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No way, if TCU and/or Boise are the only undefeated teams they'll be in the title game for sure this year.

Neither will jump Oregon or Auburn if they win out, but no way a 1 loss team gets in over TCU or Boise this year given where they're ranked. Oregon and Auburn both lose, then TCU and Boise will play for it as they'd be 1 and 2 in the human polls, and both are OK in the computers. VT's resurgence is helping Boise, and they still have to play Nevada who's ranked.

That said, I'd love for one or both to get jumped by 1 loss team as that would for sure get Congress all over the BCS and get this lame ass system scrapped and a playoff in place.[/QUOTE]

Oregon for the most part is a lock at this point. But say Auburn loses the Iron Bowl. They then go and win the SEC championship (against a ranked opponent) i.e. 1 loss. You could say the same about LSU. It will be hard not to put either team not in vs a team who beats up on a non-BCS school. Like you, I think if TCU and Boise St go undefeated and neither gets a shot over a 1-loss team, this BCS crap will end and playoff will begin. So it is my hope that Auburn or Oregon loses one game so this plays out.

I'd like it as well for that reason, but I don't see a 1 loss team jumping TCU or Boise.

Especially teams with that loss late in the season as that will drop them behind other 1 loss teams who lost earlier (if any are left).

With TCU and boise being at 3 and 4 already, they'll jump up above Oregon or TCU if they lose and I don't see any of the one loss teams jumping them. Voters aren't going to put LSU ahead of them as they have those lucky wins (bonehead penalty by Tenn. etc.) that hurts their perception of really being a top team.

Also, here's the remaining schedule for the 4 unbeatens.

Oregon: @Cal, Arizona, @ Oregon State

Auburn: Georgia, @Alabama, SEC championship (probably Florida or South Carolina)

TCU: San Diego State, @ New Mexico

Boise State: @Idaho, Fresno State, @Nevada, Utah State

So TCU has the easiest path. Only two games left and both should be gimmee's, especially NM who is one of the worst teams in FCS.

Auburn has the hardest. UGA could be tough, and @Bama will be rough, along with the SECn title games.

Boise's isn't bad, but the game @ Nevada will be a test. Oregon's slate isn't easy either. All three are games they could lose, but I think they put up too many points for those teams to out score them.

should be

1.)Oregon
2.)TCU
3.)Auburn
4.)Boise
5.)Wisconsin
6.)Nebraska
7.)Stanford
8.)Michigan State
9.)LSU
10.)Ohio State

[quote name='starmask2k3']should be

1.)Oregon or TCU
2.)TCU or Oregon
3.)Auburn
4.)Boise
5.)Wisconsin
6.)Nebraska
7.)Stanford
8.)Michigan State
9.)LSU
10.)Ohio State[/QUOTE]

Thats what happens when money controls everything

[quote name='starmask2k3']should be

1.)Oregon
2.)TCU
3.)Auburn
4.)Boise
5.)Wisconsin
6.)Nebraska
7.)Stanford
8.)Michigan State
9.)LSU
10.)Ohio State[/QUOTE]

Utah was completely exposed as a fraud. While they may only have 1-loss, their best wins are over Pitt and Air Force and that's not saying much. TCU gets a lot of credit for stomping them, but their best win after that is Oregon State, which unfortunately isn't saying much considering they've lost to Washington and OMG, UCLA.

Both Oregon and Auburn have much better resumes and they clearly deserve to be ahead of both TCU and BSU.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']With all the debating you do in this thread you really have no common sense. Let me break it down for you.

I like Oregon and Auburn, but beating an under 500 Washington and Chattanooga does not make them better this week. I am not saying it will stay this way, but they will be number one Sunday night. I know your going to say Utah was overrated, but that's not TCU's fault. The only people that will be voting Oregon and auburn this week are their home state and conference writers.[/QUOTE]

Everytime eh? TCU remained at #3. Who has no common sense? Look in the mirror!

[quote name='MasterSun1']Everytime eh? TCU remained at #3. Who has no common sense? Look in the mirror![/QUOTE]

Your magnanimity is inspiring.

[quote name='Magus8472']Your magnanimity is inspiring.[/QUOTE]

Not my fault someone makes a boneheaded comment! Unfortunately, none of Oregon's last 3 games are gimmes, even though they should be favored greatly in each. California has been Jeckyl and Hyde, but are undefeated at home. Arizona hasn't looked great at all, but are always dangerous and has a defense that can make things interesting, but it's at home for Oregon. Lastly, a rivalry game against Oregon State can be really tricky.

Auburn has a tougher road ahead playing at Georgia and then at Alabama in the Iron Bowl. After that (assuming they win), taking on Florida which seems to be getting better or South Carolina in a rematch could make things interesting. South Carolina seems to have taken many steps back.

Look if thats an AQ team, they go to number one everytime. Put any team in the same spot as TCU and they played that same Utah team, that team would be number one. That Utah team would not be "overated" if that was an AQ school. It's pretty sad how the BCS will ruin another season.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Utah was completely exposed as a fraud. While they may only have 1-loss, their best wins are over Pitt and Air Force and that's not saying much. TCU gets a lot of credit for stomping them, but their best win after that is Oregon State, which unfortunately isn't saying much considering they've lost to Washington and OMG, UCLA.[/QUOTE]

TCU shut down Baylor, against every other team Baylor has put up 28+ Points. That seems like a better win than Oregon State.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Look if thats an AQ team, they go to number one everytime. Put any team in the same spot as TCU and they played that same Utah team, that team would be number one. That Utah team would not be "overated" if that was an AQ school. It's pretty sad how the BCS will ruin another season.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that. Pollsters hardly every jump one unbeaten team over another. Especially late in the year.

That's a problem with the poll system (at least the human side of it)--who ever gets to number 1 and 2 first will generally stay there until they lose. Voters have always been reluctant to jump one unbeated team over another.

Computers can help there, but TCU was too many BCS points behind to make up the difference while staying at 3 in the human polls.

There is no way TCU should number 1 or 2. Utah, up to this point, has played no one. Pitt is their biggest win (5-3 in the Big LEast) and they only won by 3. TCU, on the other hand has won against Oregon St (not the same team as last year; 4-4) and Baylor (playing cupcakes up to this point then getting smacked up by ranked team i.e. OK St). To me, it not as impressive as Boise St taking out Virginia Tech (a team that has won since losing to JMU) and that same Oregon St team by the same amount of points. In my opinion, TCU should be #4 behind Boise St at #3.

Oregon, on the other hand, has taken out Stanford, better than any of those teams above; though the rest of their schedule is a joke. To me, they are the #2 in the country.

Auburn has beat LSU, South Carolina, and Arkansas. All those wins trumph everything above. Thus, why I would rank them #1.

Back to the national title picture if people lose, LSU could sneak in with one loss. If they beat Arkansas (since they are ranked) at the end of the year, they could walk into that Championship game (if Auburn or Oregon lose).

[quote name='lordopus99']Back to the national title picture if people lose, LSU could sneak in with one loss. If they beat Arkansas (since they are ranked) at the end of the year, they could walk into that Championship game (if Auburn or Oregon lose).[/QUOTE]

Auburn would have to lose twice in order for that to happen, and even still it's a longshot. Could a one-loss team really jump an undefeated TCU/Boise?

Auburn probably has the toughest schedule left of any of the top 4. There's still Georgia, Alabama then either Florida/S.Car. Provided they can win out there's no reason for them to not be in the national title game. While I don't think Auburn will make it to #1 in either of the human polls, I feel as if there's a strong chance they'll work their way back up to #1 in the BCS.

[quote name='lordopus99']There is no way TCU should number 1 or 2. Utah, up to this point, has played no one. Pitt is their biggest win (5-3 in the Big LEast) and they only won by 3. TCU, on the other hand has won against Oregon St (not the same team as last year; 4-4) and Baylor (playing cupcakes up to this point then getting smacked up by ranked team i.e. OK St). To me, it not as impressive as Boise St taking out Virginia Tech (a team that has won since losing to JMU) and that same Oregon St team by the same amount of points. In my opinion, TCU should be #4 behind Boise St at #3.[/QUOTE]

While BSU did beat VT, that win alone doesn't equal TCU beating Utah (a team not as good as advertised) as well as Pitt and Air Force (MWC >>>>> WAC, Hawaii and Nevada are still inferior to Utah and Air Force). I don't doubt Boise State can play with the Big Six schools, but based on resume, they are where they should be, below TCU.

Oregon, on the other hand, has taken out Stanford, better than any of those teams above; though the rest of their schedule is a joke. To me, they are the #2 in the country.

Pac-10 is down IMO this year, mainly due to a lot of injuries to key stars on many of the teams. However, to say the rest of the schedule is a joke (what does that mean for BSU's WAC schedule? downright histerical then). Arizona, while playing poorly, did beat Iowa who is contending for the Big 10 title. Arizona State lost by 1 to Wisconsin who will probably take the Big 10. Pac-10 is deep just like the SEC will teams taking each other out surprisingly. UCLA beating Oregon State is especially a surprise.

Auburn has beat LSU, South Carolina, and Arkansas. All those wins trumph everything above. Thus, why I would rank them #1.

Except those don't trump everything else. Those are maybe quality wins (have to see how the records shake out at the end of the season), but Auburn would be #1 in the Human polls if they didn't squeak out victories on the road. If they were blowing out everyone they played like Oregon, everyone would have them at #1. There are still question marks on defense (21 points given up to Chattanooga??) If they do run the table and do it convincingly, I would give them the #1 spot.

Back to the national title picture if people lose, LSU could sneak in with one loss. If they beat Arkansas (since they are ranked) at the end of the year, they could walk into that Championship game (if Auburn or Oregon lose).

LSU isn't going to the national championship game unless (1) they win the SEC Championship game, which can only happen if Auburn loses it's next 2, (2) Oregon, BSU and TCU lose a game. It's going to take a miracle, but stranger things have happened. Of course, it would be a horrible thing for America to have to watch that offense. The BCS isn't going to let a non-conference Champion sneak in like Oklahoma and Nebraska have done in the last decade.

[quote name='MasterSun1']There are still question marks on defense (21 points given up to Chattanooga??) If they do run the table and do it convincingly, I would give them the #1 spot.[/QUOTE]

Auburn's defense isn't the greatest this year, but it's really stupid how people keep pointing this out; the points on the scoreboard don't tell the whole story. Auburn still is somewhat thin defensively as far as experience is concerned, and with a 27-0 lead in the first quarter pulled their defensive starters early to give young players some play time. I'd rather see younger players get experience and help save the starters from risk of injury for games that are actually on the line.

The problem with Auburn's D is they haven't played a lot of explosive offenses being in the SEC. Arkansas probably the one exception and they gave up 43 in a win.

Sot it's hard to see them not giving up a ton to a team like Oregon. Would be a fun game to watch though as Auburn should put up a lot of points too.

Yeah, I'm well aware of Auburn's defensive issues I just feel as if trying to pick them apart in the Chattanooga game is the wrong place to pick the fight.

As weak as Auburn's defense has been, they have had some key players that are making plays when it matters. If it does end up being Auburn/Oregon I have a strong feeling it'll be a very exciting no-defense game with a lot of points put up by both teams. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a 6x-6x game in that kind of situation.

As the saying goes, "Defense wins championships." But both Auburn and Oregon seem to be going against that grain this year, so we'll just have to wait and see. I know Auburn still has a ways to go before the title game is guaranteed.

I agree, the Chatanooga game is pointless as starters were resting etc.

The worries come from giving up 43 to Arkansas, 31 or whatever to Ole Miss etc.

Both Oregon and Auburn are on upset alert this week. California is 4-0 at home. None of the victories should be cause for concern, though they did blast Arizona State 50-17, a team Oregon only beat by 11 (lowest margin of victory all season). Oregon is 1-4 in the last 5 games in Berkley.

Georgia has won 4 of their last 5 with a 3 point loss to Florida who seems to be improving. With their star wideout AJ Green back, I can see them gaining yards through the air. Key will be containing Newton which has been tough to do this season. Georgia won the last meeting 31-24.

Could this be the week that BSU and TCU jump to the Top 2 spots?

WVU offense finally showed up again rolling ot a 30-3 halftime lead and 37-10 win over Cincy.

Was happy the D shut them down--WVU D was 4th in the nation in total defense, but Cincy is the first top 50 total offense they've faced so I was worried it was fluke.

Still not that optimistic about the rest of the season, but entertaining game to watch today finally.

Well, Utah is getting throttle by Notre Dame. Will it hurt TCU's beatdown?
Well Penn State is beating Ohio State.

Wisconsin will probably win out, so the will need Penn State to beat Michigan State to win the Big 10.

[quote name='Nate Nanjo']Well, Utah is getting throttle by Notre Dame. Will it hurt TCU's beatdown?
Well Penn State is beating Ohio State.[/QUOTE]

It will help bridge the gap between Boise State and them, especially with TCU down 14-0 to start their game against San Diego State today. I have no doubt they'll end up winning by 21+ though.

Wisconsin will probably win out, so the will need Penn State to beat Michigan State to win the Big 10.

I think Penn State will beat Michigan State no problem. Michigan State is lucky they don't have to play Ohio State, even if OSU doesn't look very good right now.

Man that was one ugly win by Oregon. Everything that went wrong did, but they kept their poise and grinded out the clock.

Good win by Auburn, but the defense is still suspect. A rematch against South Carolina will be very interesting as SC had a double digit lead late in that game.

TCU's defense isn't as good as the stats show as shown by a decent San Diego State team dicing them apart.

Boise State with a nice win, but it was against the Vandals.

It's going to be a great finish to the regular season.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Man that was one ugly win by Oregon. Everything that went wrong did, but they kept their poise and grinded out the clock.

Good win by Auburn, but the defense is still suspect. A rematch against South Carolina will be very interesting as SC had a double digit lead late in that game.

TCU's defense isn't as good as the stats show as shown by a decent San Diego State team dicing them apart.

Boise State with a nice win, but it was against the Vandals.

It's going to be a great finish to the regular season.[/QUOTE]

You would still call Auburn into question when they easily win their game yet Oregon almost lost against a 5-5 team.

TCU doesn't look as great now... Utah gets thumped by Notre Dame haha. San Diego St stayed with them the whole game. These two things should have caused Boise St to jump them in the BCS (at least the AP and US polls reflects it).

My game was crazy. The announcers kept crapping on our backup QB, Manual, yet he played better than Ponder has IMO. Our defense gave up too much; its like we are now reverted back to our terrible last year defense. To cap off the end, Hopkins kicks a 55 yard field goal that could have gone 65 yards (that kick was booming). I am actually quite shocked to see us #25 in the BCS since we lost 2 of the last 3 and had a close one against Clemson. It's kind of ironic since if NC State (unranked) wins out they would play in the ACC Championship, not us (if we won out).

No one's calling Auburn into question as deserving their ranking. But clearly their defense stinks and that's likely to bite them in the ass sooner or later as they're probably going to run into someone they can't outscore eventually. Maybe Alabama since their D will probably slow Auburn down.

So far, few teams have been able to slow down Auburn's offense. The biggest part is that Auburn tends to wear out opposing teams especially in the 4th quarter. That's not to say Alabama won't be difficult, but I remain hopeful.

My biggest concern is a (passing) quarterback's dream. Auburn's secondary has made opposing quarterbacks look like Peyton Manning. I know depth is obviously an issue, but it's sickening at how many yards they give up. Somewhat like the offense, the defense seems to improve as the game carries on but I really wish they could step up in the first half. That 21-7 score in the first quarter was about to give me an ulcer.

[quote name='BlueLobstah']So far, few teams have been able to slow down Auburn's offense. The biggest part is that Auburn tends to wear out opposing teams especially in the 4th quarter. That's not to say Alabama won't be difficult, but I remain hopeful.[/QUOTE]

Same applies to Oregon. Both Auburn and Oregon should be concerned when teams have slowed them down (For Oregon, Arizona State (still gave up 42) and California (gave up only 15); For Auburn: Clemson limited them to 27 and Miss St limited them to only 17. LSU held them to 24. If LSU had an offense (same with California if they had their starting QB), both Auburn and Oregon would be looking at a loss.

My biggest concern is a (passing) quarterback's dream. Auburn's secondary has made opposing quarterbacks look like Peyton Manning. I know depth is obviously an issue, but it's sickening at how many yards they give up. Somewhat like the offense, the defense seems to improve as the game carries on but I really wish they could step up in the first half. That 21-7 score in the first quarter was about to give me an ulcer.

Auburn is lucky to be in the SEC where offense takes a back seat to defense (though that Arkansas game makes people wonder about "defense wins championships" especially in the SEC). Many people will say Oregon has a slight advantage since they have a much better defense than Auburn, but as shown last year, a mobile QB is dangerous to every team (Pryor ran/passed well on Oregon).

[quote name='lordopus99']You would still call Auburn into question when they easily win their game yet Oregon almost lost against a 5-5 team.[/QUOTE]

Every team has close calls and both Oregon and Auburn are no exception. Oregon survived a missed FG in order to keep the lead against California (who was undefeated at home and blowing out opponents), but had a 9:25, 18-play drive to run out the clock. SEC fans would splooging themselves if they saw their team do that.

Auburn had a closer call with Clemson this year on the road. They were able to stop a game winning TD in overtime and force a game tying FG which was good (just like Cal's against Oregon), but a illegal procedure penalty forced a re-kick and the Clemson kicker missed.

My point, as dmaul mentioned, is that Auburn's defense is suspect. Oregon has shown they are better on defense than Auburn and actually have one of the top defenses in college football when you look at the numbers.

Both Oregon and Auburn struggle a bit when faced with top defenses based on statistics (California, LSU). However, I would be more concerned about Auburn losing a game when their offense gets stopped than Oregon based on what I saw this weekend.

[quote name='MasterSun1']Every team has close calls and both Oregon and Auburn are no exception. Oregon survived a missed FG in order to keep the lead against California (who was undefeated at home and blowing out opponents), but had a 9:25, 18-play drive to run out the clock. SEC fans would splooging themselves if they saw their team do that.

Auburn had a closer call with Clemson this year on the road. They were able to stop a game winning TD in overtime and force a game tying FG which was good (just like Cal's against Oregon), but a illegal procedure penalty forced a re-kick and the Clemson kicker missed.

My point, as dmaul mentioned, is that Auburn's defense is suspect. Oregon has shown they are better on defense than Auburn and actually have one of the top defenses in college football when you look at the numbers.

Both Oregon and Auburn struggle a bit when faced with top defenses based on statistics (California, LSU). However, I would be more concerned about Auburn losing a game when their offense gets stopped than Oregon based on what I saw this weekend.[/QUOTE]

To me, Oregon is still on question too. They haven't prove to anyone that they are better on defense. You can't judge that at this point. The only quality team they have faced was Stanford, which posted 518 yards. The non-quality Az St posted 596 yards. Auburn, outside the Arkansas shootout, hasn't given up more than a little over 400 yards.

From an offensive standpoint, Oregon is starting to slowdown since USC exposed them. Box the center, send 2 guys back, keep a LB eyeing Thomas, the offense now isn't as explosive. Cal used a similiar technique using quicker DBs plus added in a couple fake injuries.

To your comment, Oregon at Cal = 317 total yards... Auburn at LSU = 526 total yards. Hmm... 500+ yards is now struggling... hmm... Newton's 200+ rushing yards... struggling... hmm... ;)

As for Auburn, people continue to box the center but guess what, Newton continues to burn them. See Exhibit A against a top 5 defense in the nation. :hot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siq68WMuUV4&feature=related

But hey, you never know... he might end up ineligible by the season. If that is the case, Auburn unfortunetly will not be as offensively strong as they are now; thus unable to outscore their opponent.

[quote name='lordopus99']To me, Oregon is still on question too. They haven't prove to anyone that they are better on defense. You can't judge that at this point. The only quality team they have faced was Stanford, which posted 518 yards. The non-quality Az St posted 596 yards. Auburn, outside the Arkansas shootout, hasn't given up more than a little over 400 yards.[/QUOTE]

Except they did give up 566 yards to Arkansas. For the season, Oregon gives up 315.4 yards a game and 17.2 points. Auburn gives up 355.7 yards/game and 24.9 points/game. Auburn has a slightly better SOS, but not by much. In the end, the points on the scoreboard is the most important stat. You could give up 1000 yards, but as long as you have 1 more point than your opponent, it's all that matters.

From an offensive standpoint, Oregon is starting to slowdown since USC exposed them. Box the center, send 2 guys back, keep a LB eyeing Thomas, the offense now isn't as explosive. Cal used a similiar technique using quicker DBs plus added in a couple fake injuries.

Exposed...yet they gave up 53 points? Makes sense to me. The game is 60 minutes. Only California has been able to play for 60 minutes (Arizona State came close, but still lost by 11).

To your comment, Oregon at Cal = 317 total yards... Auburn at LSU = 526 total yards. Hmm... 500+ yards is now struggling... hmm... Newton's 200+ rushing yards... struggling... hmm... ;)

When you put up the stats that Oregon and Auburn normally do, anything less is considered struggling. Happened to both teams. Auburn's performance against LSU was better than Oregon vs. Cal, but for putting up 500+ yards, they should've had more than 27 points. How do you explain a clunker like 17-14 over Mississippi State where Auburn only put up 348 yards?

As for Auburn, people continue to box the center but guess what, Newton continues to burn them. See Exhibit A against a top 5 defense in the nation.

LSU hasn't played against great offensive teams (except Auburn), but they do have a pretty good defense. Cam Newton is fast (Darron Thomas, not so much) which is why he is able to escape like he does. He is like Lebron James when it comes to football. Nobody that tall and heavy should be able to run like that.

That's why I'm hoping both of them run the table. I want to see the Oregon defense's team speed that's talked u against Newton. If they can contain Newton just a bit (unlike what they tried against Pryor last year), it'll force him to pass and that'll make things interesting. Auburn has a great D line, but can they keep pace with Oregon's offensive pace? I'm hoping nobody is taking acting classes. Seeing what I've seen of Auburn's defense this year, they can't use Cal's gameplan (they don't have the DBs to play man bump and run).

[quote name='MasterSun1']Except they did give up 566 yards to Arkansas. For the season, Oregon gives up 315.4 yards a game and 17.2 points. Auburn gives up 355.7 yards/game and 24.9 points/game. Auburn has a slightly better SOS, but not by much. In the end, the points on the scoreboard is the most important stat. You could give up 1000 yards, but as long as you have 1 more point than your opponent, it's all that matters.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned the shootout with Arkansas. Do realize that game in yardage is less than Arizona St game. Also, Arkansas is #13... Arizona St... well they are just terrible.

As for comment on SOS... according to CBS Sports, Oregon's SOS is 75 and Auburn is 6. How is that close ;) ( http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/120 ).

When you put up the stats that Oregon and Auburn normally do, anything less is considered struggling. Happened to both teams. Auburn's performance against LSU was better than Oregon vs. Cal, but for putting up 500+ yards, they should've had more than 27 points.

For Auburn, they still posted their normal numbers. For Oregon, it wasn't normal. This is why I commented on it.

bread's done
Back