Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

With National Signing Day behind us...
Florida State (yay team) is #1 on ESPNU and #2 on both Rivals and Scout. Woo Hoo!!

Biggest shock is what USC was able to pull. Did Kiffin send out prostitute students that pull in these recruits (see Tennessee)? I mean really... who wants to play for a school that they know wont have a post season for a couple years...

[quote name='munch']They only have one more year left of no postseason. Next year they can go to a bowl.[/QUOTE]

As for now, I thought they still have 2 years no post season (which they are trying to reduce to 1) and a few years (not sure the exact) where they lose 10 scholorships (which they are trying to reduce to 5). Either way, the NCAA supposely is trying to nail Kiffin for the bad recruiting practice at Tennessee (which is about to get sanctions themselves). My guess is they nail his current place at USC.

They got banned for 2 years of postseason, and they served one this past year. The scholarship reduction will begin once the appeal process is done. So, it will be in effect next year.

Yeah, they already served one of the 2 years of no postseason this past year. So this year is their last of no post season.

Most recruits redshirt the freshman year, so it won't affect them since they aren't playing this year anyway. So they'd still get their full 4 years with post season possibilities as long as there's no future sanctions added.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Silly Notre Dame, you're not supposed to be in ANY top 25![/QUOTE]

Apparently too many people listen to lou holshhhhh's prediction every year that ND will be in the national title game

Will be interesting to see how WVU does with the coaching mess.

Bill Stewart is coach for one more year, but the new OC Dana Holgorsen (who was brought in from outside) is head coach in waiting and will take over in 2012. And he fired all the offensive staff sans the WR coach he kept.

Hard to imagine that's not going to cause chemistry problems. But on the plus side, our offense sucked the past 3 years despite having a ton of talent as Jeff Mullen was a terrible OC. And we still have a lot of talent and speed on offense that should be well suited to run the kind of offense Holgorsen ran last year at Oklahoma State.

Ohio State at #5? Sure, I could see it if the starting QB, RB, WR, and OG were not suspended the first five games. Granted, there will be guys who can step up in those positions (especially at running back) but, after five games it will take a few games for the team to gel properly.

Notre Dame is always on hyped up in this lists. However, this might not be all hype because the team is making strides plus they are returning a ton of players. I predict continued improvement but, not a BCS bowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evildeadjedi']Ohio State at #5? Sure, I could see it if the starting QB, RB, WR, and OG were not suspended the first five games. Granted, there will be guys who can step up in those positions (especially at running back) but, after five games it will take a few games for the team to gel properly.

Notre Dame is always on hyped up in this lists. However, this might not be all hype because the team is making strides plus they are returning a ton of players. I predict continued improvement but, not a BCS bowl.[/QUOTE]

If you saw Ohio State's early season schedule, you'll see why they're ranked so highly. It's all powderpuffs for the first 5 games, except for 1 team (can't remember who) I wanna say it was Miami again.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']If you saw Ohio State's early season schedule, you'll see why they're ranked so highly. It's all powderpuffs for the first 5 games, except for 1 team (can't remember who) I wanna say it was Miami again.[/QUOTE]

Miami and Michigan State aren't "powderpuffs", granted it looked that way for MSU in their bowl game...

[quote name='tgk2044']Miami and Michigan State aren't "powderpuffs", granted it looked that way for MSU in their bowl game...[/QUOTE]

I'll give you MSU, but that bowl game exposed them as frauds. Yes. Frauds. Getting blown out by Iowa was the initial red flag, but that game really showed how far from being the elite of the Big 10 they were.

Miami is a definite powderpuff if you ask me. Jacory Harris has not panned out the way they wanted at all. But whatever, this is all pre-season rhetoric, who knows, he may come out and have an amazing season and live up to his recruiting hype.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Ohio State at #5? Sure, I could see it if the starting QB, RB, WR, and OG were not suspended the first five games. Granted, there will be guys who can step up in those positions (especially at running back) but, after five games it will take a few games for the team to gel properly.

Notre Dame is always on hyped up in this lists. However, this might not be all hype because the team is making strides plus they are returning a ton of players. I predict continued improvement but, not a BCS bowl.[/QUOTE]

ND did have their moments last year. They actually had a decent team but then lost several key upperclassmen to injury later in the season (TE, QB, WR). They hit rock bottom mid season and then bounced back to make a minor bowl.

I hope they continue to improve and eventually get back to being at least in the top 25 conversation again. According to the numbers they had a very successful recruiting class so we'll see.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I'll give you MSU, but that bowl game exposed them as frauds. Yes. Frauds. Getting blown out by Iowa was the initial red flag, but that game really showed how far from being the elite of the Big 10 they were.

Miami is a definite powderpuff if you ask me. Jacory Harris has not panned out the way they wanted at all. But whatever, this is all pre-season rhetoric, who knows, he may come out and have an amazing season and live up to his recruiting hype.[/QUOTE]

But to say they're seemingly on the scale of Toledo and Akron just doesn't fit. I'll maybe agree to call them an overrated team, but definitely above a MAC school.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I'll give you MSU, but that bowl game exposed them as frauds. Yes. Frauds. Getting blown out by Iowa was the initial red flag, but that game really showed how far from being the elite of the Big 10 they were.[/quote]

Like I stated all last season... the SEC is the most dominant conference. The bowl win over MSU extremely proved that. MSU isn't as bad as you make them out. Alabama was just that damn good. They knocked out not only their starting QB, Kirk Cousins, but their second string QB as well.

Here is a statement by Cousins from the game...
"“It was an accumulation of hits that ran its course as the game went on. The last one I took was one where I just had a throbbing headache on the field and my lower back started to flare up, so I just felt my body was wearing down as the game went on. That was sort of the final nail in the coffin."

Fact: The Big 10 doesn't have teams of that caliber. Does it mean they are bad teams? No. It just means they can't hang with top teams in the SEC.

Miami is a definite powderpuff if you ask me. Jacory Harris has not panned out the way they wanted at all. But whatever, this is all pre-season rhetoric, who knows, he may come out and have an amazing season and live up to his recruiting hype.

Yes Harris has not lived up to potential but they are far from a "powderpuff". They are a mediocre team on the upswing. Players are already complaining about workouts being harder now with the new coach. Shannon might have helped grades and off the field stuff from happening but he never developed players. Remember this school won a championship back in 2001 under Coker. All programs have ups and downs. It is just due time until they are back like they were in the 90s/early 00s.

PS Harris might not even be the starter this year. Stephen Morris outplayed him in the bowl game and supposely is a early favorite to take the starting job.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I'll give you MSU, but that bowl game exposed them as frauds. Yes. Frauds. Getting blown out by Iowa was the initial red flag, but that game really showed how far from being the elite of the Big 10 they were.

Miami is a definite powderpuff if you ask me. Jacory Harris has not panned out the way they wanted at all. But whatever, this is all pre-season rhetoric, who knows, he may come out and have an amazing season and live up to his recruiting hype.[/QUOTE]

Bama played the best game they had all season in that game and knocked out Cousins. Granted, they are losing several players to graduation/draft.

Okay, maybe Harris has not played out but, there is too much high school talent in Florida for them to be down forever.

It may not be this year but, still a road game early in the season without the starting QB, RB, and WR, I have to say I'm concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='evildeadjedi']
Okay, maybe Harris has not played out but, there is too much high school talent in Florida for them to be down forever.
[/QUOTE]

True. But Florida has passed them as top dog in the state, and FSU is ahead of them as well.

South Florida moving to a BCS league in 2004 has helped them get more instate talent as well. And I'd be surprised if UCF didn't also move to the Big East in the next few years. Maybe as soon as 2012 if Villanova says no to moving up to D1 in football.

So Miami's path back to the top isn't as easy as it was when Butch Davis turned them around from their down period in the late 90s.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Bama played the best game they had all season in that game and knocked out Cousins.

It may not be this year but, still a road game early in the season without the starting QB, RB, and WR, I have to say I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

Did Bama play their best game? To me, it looked like they played typical Alabama football against a very pedestrian MSU team. Cousins was knocked out sure, but losing 49-7 proves you had no business to complain about not getting a BCS bowl.

Mmm, I don't think anyone ever said Miami would be down forever. But just looking at the past few years, it doesn't seem like they're exactly done with their rebuilding years. Maybe I'll retract my powderpuff statement about Miami...but OSU seems too deep in talent to lose. Miami might give them a couple jabs, especially since its at Miami, but I'd still take OSU (even though I really fucking despise the Big 10)

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
Mmm, I don't think anyone ever said Miami would be down forever. But just looking at the past few years, it doesn't seem like they're exactly done with their rebuilding year[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they made a terrible coaching here. You never fire a coach and hire an assistant. It didn't work for them. It's not working for Clemson etc.

If you're not happy with a coach, fire the whole staff and start anew. Why would you expect much difference if you hire one of their proteges who was on their staff?

Only time you hire an assistant is if you have a great team and the head coach left for another job or retired and there's a talented coordinator to take the job. Even then it should be limited to coordinators and not do boneheaded things like hire the special teams/qb coach like WVU did when Rodriguez left. :bomb:

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Did Bama play their best game? To me, it looked like they played typical Alabama football against a very pedestrian MSU team.[/quote]

I agree. It was just typical Alabama football. Again though playing in the SEC playing tough competition in-league every week prepares teams to destroy other conferences' good teams. Again, Mich St is a good team just not great.

but OSU seems too deep in talent to lose. Miami might give them a couple jabs, especially since its at Miami, but I'd still take OSU (even though I really fucking despise the Big 10)

They are without those talented players for that game. The game will be alot closer than you might expect.

[quote name='dmaul1114']]True. But Florida has passed them as top dog in the state, and FSU is ahead of them as well.[/quote]

We (Florida State) are the top dog in Florida. We beat up Florida and Miami this past season. We lead most recruiting polls as best recruiting class. Florida subs Meyer for a defensive coordinator who led Texas to their worst defensive showing in years. I would say they are far from running the state going forward.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, they made a terrible coaching here. You never fire a coach and hire an assistant. It didn't work for them. It's not working for Clemson etc.[/quote]

Are you talking about Dabo Swinney? The first of his two seasons took the team to #24 in the country. CJ Spiller was nominated for a heisman under him. This year his recruiting is #8 (based on rivals). I wouldn't say he has been a disappointment at all, especially considering the re-emergence of Florida State and the enhancements to NC State and Maryland.

Prediction: Virginia Tech goes undefeated into the ACC Championship.

[quote name='lordopus99']
Are you talking about Dabo Swinney? The first of his two seasons took the team to #24 in the country. CJ Spiller was nominated for a heisman under him. This year his recruiting is #8 (based on rivals). I wouldn't say he has been a disappointment at all, especially considering the re-emergence of Florida State and the enhancements to NC State and Maryland.
[/QUOTE]

Which was pretty much what Tommy Bowden did. Great recruiting classes. But finish ranked in the bottom of the top 25 or unranked--underachieved for the talent he brought in. Dabo hasn't regressed, but when you fire a coach and hire an assistant you're likely to get at best more of the same, which was my point. Not that Dabo's a bad coach, but just that you seldom will fire a coach and have an assistant take big steps forward.

[quote name='lordopus99']I agree. It was just typical Alabama football. Again though playing in the SEC playing tough competition in-league every week prepares teams to destroy other conferences' good teams. Again, Mich St is a good team just not great.

They are without those talented players for that game. The game will be alot closer than you might expect.
[/QUOTE]

Mmm. I think you're giving too much credit to Alabama. MSU was lackluster. Given your status as a staunch defender of SEC football, I won't put much more effort into arguing this particular topic.

I'm referring to their second string players. Sure, they're second string...but they're Ohio State second string. You're right, it might be closer than I expect, but I still don't expect Miami to pull an upset at all.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Mmm. I think you're giving too much credit to Alabama. MSU was lackluster. Given your status as a staunch defender of SEC football, I won't put much more effort into arguing this particular topic. [/QUOTE]

Too much credit :roll: First String was pulled middle of third. Third string players were scoring for Alabama (see Ed Lacy). This was done to a team that beat a good Wisconsin team and also took away Denard Robinson's heisman by exposing him. Mich St also finished with only one loss in a Big Six conference.

Alabama's losses were to the National Champions, #8 LSU (who dominated their bowl opponent), and #22 South Carolina... again, how am I giving them too much credit?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Not that Dabo's a bad coach, but just that you seldom will fire a coach and have an assistant take big steps forward. [/quote]

Fair assessment but this statement I don't necessarily agree with. Fisher was under Saban and Miles and has done great stuff with FSU so far. Mullen was under Meyer and he has turned Missisissippi St completely around. Every coach starts somewhere as an assistant.

Fair assessment but this statement I don't necessarily agree with. Fisher was under Saban and Miles and has done great stuff with FSU so far. Mullen was under Meyer and he has turned Missisissippi St completely around. Every coach starts somewhere as an assistant.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but those were under great coaches. Not coaches that got fired.

Of course you can hire an assistant and every coach starts as an assistant. I was just saying it's silly to fire a coach and then hire one of his assistants. If you want to make a change, make a change.

Fire a coach and hire a hot assistant from somewhere else that runs a different system etc. Hire an assistant from the staff of the coach you fired, and well you shouldn't be surprised when you get the same results as they were usually mentored by the guy you just fired.

If it's a successful coach who retires or takes another job, by all means try to hire one of his coordinators as you want to keep it going. But if the head coach wasn't getting it done for you, why do you want to fire him and hire one of his lackeys? If you fire him, ditch the whole staff and start from scratch with someone new--be it an established head coach, or a rising coordinator from somewhere else etc.

[quote name='lordopus99']Too much credit :roll: First String was pulled middle of third. Third string players were scoring for Alabama (see Ed Lacy). This was done to a team that beat a good Wisconsin team and also took away Denard Robinson's heisman by exposing him. Mich St also finished with only one loss in a Big Six conference.

Alabama's losses were to the National Champions, #8 LSU (who dominated their bowl opponent), and #22 South Carolina... again, how am I giving them too much credit?
[/QUOTE]

I think you said it yourself right there. 3rd string players were beating the shit out of MSU. MSU = lackluster. I'm not saying Alabama isn't a good football team, because you present the evidence right there and I agree with it, but to lose 49-7 and in such an embarrassing fashion? That is lackluster.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, but those were under great coaches. Not coaches that got fired.[/quote]

Tommy Bowden resigned. He wasn't fired. Yes, you can claim he felt pressure to but if you noticed he hasn't gone to any other team since. He bowed out like Terry, his brother, once did. If the team really wanted to get rid of him, they would flat out fired him like Michigan did with Rodriguez or Notre Dame did with Weis.

[quote name='dmaul1114']True. But Florida has passed them as top dog in the state, and FSU is ahead of them as well.

South Florida moving to a BCS league in 2004 has helped them get more instate talent as well. And I'd be surprised if UCF didn't also move to the Big East in the next few years. Maybe as soon as 2012 if Villanova says no to moving up to D1 in football.

So Miami's path back to the top isn't as easy as it was when Butch Davis turned them around from their down period in the late 90s.[/QUOTE]

Very true but, as a whole the state of Florida has too much talent to go around for Miami to be down forever.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Did Bama play their best game? To me, it looked like they played typical Alabama football against a very pedestrian MSU team. Cousins was knocked out sure, but losing 49-7 proves you had no business to complain about not getting a BCS bowl.

Mmm, I don't think anyone ever said Miami would be down forever. But just looking at the past few years, it doesn't seem like they're exactly done with their rebuilding years. Maybe I'll retract my powderpuff statement about Miami...but OSU seems too deep in talent to lose. Miami might give them a couple jabs, especially since its at Miami, but I'd still take OSU (even though I really fucking despise the Big 10)[/QUOTE]

So, you don't think typical Alabama football is them playing their best?

Yes, very true they have not looked very impressive in the last few years. It all depends on how well the second string can step up in that game.

[quote name='lordopus99']Tommy Bowden resigned. He wasn't fired. Yes, you can claim he felt pressure to but if you noticed he hasn't gone to any other team since. He bowed out like Terry, his brother, once did. If the team really wanted to get rid of him, they would flat out fired him like Michigan did with Rodriguez or Notre Dame did with Weis.[/QUOTE]

Come on, you know better than that.

Coaches are always given the option to resign rather than get fired. Bowden took it, guys like Rodriguez did not (so they could get their full buyouts etc.).

Tommy was forced out, period. If he'd refused to resign, he would have been fired. Terry was also forced out. He resigned as all the boosters were calling for his head.

Terry got into broadcasting and didn't make much effort to get back into coaching until lobbying hard for the WVU job in 2007, and ending up at North Alabama. Plus no one wanted him as he got blamed for the recruiting scandals that were the fault of the boosters etc.

Tommy probably hasn't gotten any major offers yes as his teams always underachieved. Great recruiting, mediocre results in a weak ACC. Not winning the league even during FSU and Miami's down years sealed his fate. Hell, he's a WVU guy originally (played there etc.) and people got laughed off the boards for suggesting him as a possible replacement for Bill Stewart.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Coaches are always given the option to resign rather than get fired. Bowden took it, guys like Rodriguez did not (so they could get their full buyouts etc.).[/quote]

True but Tommy still got his payment.

Back to the original comment, elder Bobby Bowden was in the same position. He was far from a bad coach... in fact he is one of the greastest in college football history.

Tommy probably hasn't gotten any major offers yes as his teams always underachieved. Great recruiting, mediocre results in a weak ACC. Not winning the league even during FSU and Miami's down years sealed his fate. Hell, he's a WVU guy originally (played there etc.) and people got laughed off the boards for suggesting him as a possible replacement for Bill Stewart.

Tommy took over for a coach with a losing record prior to his arrival i.e. started from nothing. He got them in a bowl every year and even took them to the ACC Championship in 2009 (the year before he retired). Yes, FSU and Miami were down most of his tenure (2002-end) but the conference still had the powerhouse of Virginia Tech. Winning the league was near impossible for them as their recruiting wasn't as strong as Virginia Tech... heck even FSU and Miami both had better classes than Clemson. Living here in the Carolinas, South Carolina gets all the best players from the state if they don't leave the state (i.e. Lattimore last year, Clowney this year). Having a Spiller, Ford, or Bowers is great but the rest of the squad were not nearly as good. Just look at how many players from Clemson have made the pros in the past so many years (realistically 2-3 more than I mentioned). So how did the team underachieved? Because the boosters said so :roll:... I think the boosters calling his head for benching "star" qb Cullen Harper (never made it to the pros) after getting blown out by National Champion Alabama in week 1 and losing to Wake in week 2. To me it is crap especially when he took the previous years team to #24 in the Nation. Just saying...

Tommy's retirement to me was just as crap as Phil Fulmer's firing at Tennessee. Now look at them... Clemson's still in the same position they were in, which will probably get worse now that FSU, NC St, and Maryland have all been now rolling along with Virginia Tech and Tennessee, is well a huge joke that will most likely get nailed for bad recruiting practices from Lane Kiffin. Karma's a bitch.

Tommy's retirement to me was just as crap as Phil Fulmer's firing at Tennessee. Now look at them... Clemson's still in the same position they were in, which will probably get worse now that FSU, NC St, and Maryland have all been now rolling along with Virginia Tech[/QUOTE]

I agree. And again, my point was it's even worse when you fire/force out a coach and hire one of his assistants. What's the point? Unless it was a recent addition to the staff, they were mentored by the guy you just fired/forced out because you thought they weren't getting the job done.

But his teams did underachieve. His team's final rankings were never equal to his recruiting class rankings. That's underachieving. But I know you love the Bowden's as a FSU fan, so I won't bother arguing the point. :D

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Very true but, as a whole the state of Florida has too much talent to go around for Miami to be down forever.

So, you don't think typical Alabama football is them playing their best?

Yes, very true they have not looked very impressive in the last few years. It all depends on how well the second string can step up in that game.[/QUOTE]

By that logic, typical "insert school name here" football is them playing their best.

I'm not saying Alabama didn't look impressive, they did. I just think MSU looked way worse than Alabama was impressive.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']

I'm not saying Alabama didn't look impressive, they did. I just think MSU looked way worse than Alabama was impressive.[/QUOTE]

I can agree with that. :)

I know it will never, ever, ever happen again in college football, but even if 10% of the shit alleged in the article is true, OSU is deserving of the death penalty. The violations described in this article are as egregious as SMU committed back in the day.

God the BCS is a bunch of self-important pricks. Between the NCAA upholding the principles of amateurism yet selling rights for broadcasts, games, merchandise and this whole BCS farce, it's hard to remain a college football fan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6650019

Coach Stewart is out at WVU, his new OC/Head-coach-in-waiting is now head coach. Apparently Stewart was trying to spread rumors and undermine the new coach.

Should have just fired him last winter instead of doing the stupidn one year transition that was almost inevitable to result in this type of mess. Stewart should have never been hired in the first place, so good riddance to him!

The other big on going news is whether expansion dominoes are going to start falling again.

Texas A&M wants to leave the Big 12 for the SEC as they're tired of all the crap with Texas and the Longhorn Network etc. They really should have just left last summer.

The latest on it this time was SEC presidents voted not to invite anyone last week but gave a very non-committal statement, and then a few days later voted not to invite anyone in the current conference footprint (not in any current states).

So all the murmuring on message boards currently is the first vote was just to avoid any law suits from other conferences that they were tampering (so A&M needs to work out their buyout and leave the Big 12 before they'll get an official invite). And the second vote was because teams like Florida, South Carolina etc. didn't want teams like FSU or Clemson to get invited in as the 14th team. After that vote the murmuring is pointing to Missouri and VT as likely 14th teams since they're not in the current footprint, with WVU as an outside shot (which I hope doesn't happen personally).

[quote name='dmaul1114']After that vote the murmuring is pointing to Missouri and VT as likely 14th teams since they're not in the current footprint, with WVU as an outside shot (which I hope doesn't happen personally).[/QUOTE]

Louisville has also been suggested by some journalists due to their profitable sports programs; however, I have a feeling that Kentucky would be unhappy about it. Whether or not they have the ability to block entry of Louisville is debatable.

bread's done
Back