Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

[quote name='pimpster4183']What if we got a Bama / Lsu rematch in the Natl championship, is that even possible[/QUOTE]

This is rule number one under BCS selection procedures...
1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

We know either LSU or 'Bama will have a win over the other and that will likely determine who will play in the championship game. There are still too many unbeaten teams to keep even LSU or 'Bama at #2 with a loss. Stanford, Clemson, OK State, Boise.... Even if every team had one loss except either LSU or 'Bama, I somehow doubt the rankings will keep two SEC teams in the top two in order for them to be in the championship game. Same conference, same division, no way. Just don't see it happening.

Alabama only has LSU remaining as a threat. LSU has Alabama and Arkansas. The Hogs have won three of the last four, but I'm not sure about 4/5 especially considering the game is in Baton Rouge and Ark is giving up points like crazy in the first half.

[quote name='powercreep']Alabama only has LSU remaining as a threat. LSU has Alabama and Arkansas. The Hogs have won three of the last four, but I'm not sure about 4/5 especially considering the game is in Baton Rouge and Ark is giving up points like crazy in the first half.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the SEC championship game. I know the East is seriously down, but stranger things have happened.

Here's the new coaches' poll.

1. LSU (41)
2. Alabama (18)
3. Stanford
4. Oklahoma State
5. Boise State
6. Clemson
7(tie). Oregon
7(tie). Arkansas
9. Oklahoma
10. Michigan State
11. Wisconsin
12. Kansas State
13. Nebraska
14. South Carolina
15. Virginia Tech
16(tie). Texas A&M
16(tie). Michigan
18. Houston
19. Penn State
20. Arizona State
21. Georgia
22. Texas Tech
23. Cincinnati
24. West Virginia
25. Southern Mississippi

New BCS rankings are out:

BCS STANDINGS - OCT. 23, 2011

1 LSU .9702
2 Alabama .9627
3 Oklahoma State .9240
4 Boise State .8302
5 Clemson .8240
6 Stanford .8124
7 Oregon .6877
8 Kansas State .6681
9 Oklahoma .6642
10 Arkansas .6581
11 Michigan State .5380
12 Virginia Tech .5338
13 South Carolina .5014
14 Nebraska .4385
15 Wisconsin .4333
16 Texas A&M .4281
17 Houston .3676
18 Michigan .3416
19 Penn State .3071
20 Texas Tech .2012
21 Arizona State .1633
22 Georgia .1594
23 Auburn .1310
24 Texas .1187
25 West Virginia .0733

I'm sure I'm being a bit of a homer here, but how did Ark go to 10? They were ranked 9th, Wisconsin fell to 15 so that could be 8, but instead they slipped back by 2; more or less. I guess the computers didn't like them?

[quote name='powercreep']I'm sure I'm being a bit of a homer here, but how did Ark go to 10? They were ranked 9th, Wisconsin fell to 15 so that could be 8, but instead they slipped back by 2; more or less. I guess the computers didn't like them?[/QUOTE]

K State is still undefeated and jumped them.

Edit: Didn't realize that Oregon jumped them as well. The computers actually like Arkansas better than Oregon (8th versus 12th average this week), but the human voters like Oregon better. Since the human voters make up two thirds of the poll, that's why they jumped them. I'm sure Arkansas lackluster performance in the first half hurt them some this weekend in the human polls.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='powercreep']I'm sure I'm being a bit of a homer here, but how did Ark go to 10? They were ranked 9th, Wisconsin fell to 15 so that could be 8, but instead they slipped back by 2; more or less. I guess the computers didn't like them?[/QUOTE]
Same reason why Nebraska is higher than Wisconsin, when Wisconsin beat them. Do note none of this really matters outside Top 5 until end of season when teams hit the bulk of their schedule...

We'll get a true measure of Kansas State beginning this week. This is the first game of the brutal tail end of their schedule. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, & Texas.

[quote name='Chitown021']We'll get a true measure of Kansas State beginning this week. This is the first game of the brutal tail end of their schedule. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, & Texas.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not sold on K State yet considering they needed a touchdown pass in the last two minutes of the game to win 10-7 against THE Eastern Kentucky Colonels :D.

However, if they win out against that schedule, they would likely deserve a shot in the title game.

Looks like WVU to the Big 12 to replace Mizzou is pretty much a done deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/sports/ncaafootball/West-Virginia-Big-12-Big-East.html

West Virginia Close to Leaving Big East for Big 12
By PETE THAMEL

West Virginia is headed to the Big 12, according to a person with direct knowledge of the situation, a move that leaves the Big East with five football programs and an uncertain future. The person said Tuesday that the Mountaineers had “applied and are accepted,” leaving only legal entanglements from making the move official. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been formally announced.

West Virginia is the Big East’s flagship football program, and losing its consistently strong performance will hurt the conference as it seeks to hold on to its automatic Bowl Championship Series spot. With the departure of the Mountaineers, who must pay a $5 million exit fee, the conference’s football members are Rutgers, Louisville, South Florida, Connecticut and Cincinnati. That gives it the same number of football teams it had when Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech departed in 2003.

The only good news for the Big East is that the Big 12 planned to stay at 10 teams for now, the person said. That will spare the Big East any more critical losses and give it a chance to build into the 12-team model that it would prefer.

While Missouri, a current Big 12 member, has yet to announce that it is applying for membership in the Southeastern Conference, that move is still viewed as inevitable. The Kansas City Star reported Tuesday morning that Missouri Chancellor Brady Deaton said it could be “days or possibly a week or two” before Missouri’s application happened.

Legal problems are holding up Missouri’s move, as it has to negotiate an exit fee, and there is a concern among Big 12 teams about how to fill the void in their schedules that Missouri would leave. That creates two problems, as universities will have to scramble to find another opponent, perhaps from the Football Championship Subdivision. A victory over a team from that level would not count toward a Big 12 member’s bowl eligibility. It will also cause the Big 12 to fall short of fulfilling its television contract. Both could be costly for the league.

The SEC made it very clear during its courtship with Texas A&M that it would only accept the Aggies without legal issues, so Missouri must take care of those before joining.

The Big East now moves toward putting together its proposed 12-team model; it hopes to add Air Force, Navy and Boise State in football and Houston, Southern Methodist and Central Florida in all sports. With West Virginia gone, the new team most likely to emerge as a possible member would be Temple, which has received resistance from its Philadelphia rival Villanova. But with the league’s future in peril, it is hard to imagine that Villanova would have enough influence to thwart Temple, which boasts a rising football program, a strong basketball program and the Philadelphia television market. East Carolina and Memphis would be other candidates. Both have openly lobbied to join the Big East in the past.

Some more links reporting the same:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...st-virginia-leaving-big-east-joining-big-12/1

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/32936807

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/coll...leave_big_east_for_big_aS3e4cF01Oc4fAyQ6qlw4O

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/report-West-Virginia-lining-up-move-to-big-12-102511

I heard this morning on the local sports station Mizzou has no intentions of leaving the Big12. Of course, that could be just talk until they have get their crap straight.

Would that new Big East even warrant an automatic bid? As a whole, it seems well rounded with decent teams, but honestly the top of the conference would be Boise and who else? Cincy? Rutgers? Was Houston regularly good before Case Keenum showed up?

The only thing that would set that apart from a league like the Mountain West would be the back of the pack wouldn't be total bottom feeders.

That super conference idea reported last week might not be such a bad idea, although it seems kind of unbalanced to have something like thirty teams going after one bid when a ten team league (Big 12, assuming they don't go back to 12) would get one (or two if they snag an at-large).

I'd like to see WVU, Cincy, Louisville, Boise, and BYU to the Big 12. I don't think it will happen though.

[quote name='powercreep']I heard this morning on the local sports station Mizzou has no intentions of leaving the Big12. Of course, that could be just talk until they have get their crap straight.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just BS. Mizzou's chancellor said yesterday that he "wishes the big 12 the best and all that" and today said they were just working through issues and it could be done in a few days or as long as 2 weeks.

Sounds like all they have to work out is the legal issues of leaving the Big 12, how much their exit fee will be, whether they leave for the 2012 season or stay one more year and leave in 2013 etc.

They just won't officially say they're leaving until it's all worked out and the officially withdraw from the Big 12.

[quote name='blindinglights']Would that new Big East even warrant an automatic bid? As a whole, it seems well rounded with decent teams, but honestly the top of the conference would be Boise and who else? Cincy? Rutgers? Was Houston regularly good before Case Keenum showed up?

The only thing that would set that apart from a league like the Mountain West would be the back of the pack wouldn't be total bottom feeders.

That super conference idea reported last week might not be such a bad idea, although it seems kind of unbalanced to have something like thirty teams going after one bid when a ten team league (Big 12, assuming they don't go back to 12) would get one (or two if they snag an at-large).

I'd like to see WVU, Cincy, Louisville, Boise, and BYU to the Big 12. I don't think it will happen though.[/QUOTE]

Whether Big East keeps the bid would really depend on teams like Boise, Houston etc. continuing to do well and finishing highly ranked after joining. Houston has been pretty good since Sumlin became coach. But who knows how long he'll stay.

I'm just glad it looks like WVU is getting out of that league finally. Always been a mess with ND and other basketball only schools having too much power when all the money is in football.

I agree that I hope some more teams come to the Big 12. I'd like to see at least Cincy and Louisville come along to give WVU a couple of eastern teams to play to cut down on some travel. But looks like the Big 12 only plans to stay at 10 for now.

Here's a new tweet from Joe Schad about WVU to Big 12:

Joe Schad
schadjoe Joe Schad
The Big 12 has told West Virginia it will be accepted into the conference pending formal approval
9 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Looks like it could be officially announced tomorrow: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...ig-12-done-deal-announcement-coming-tomorrow/

West Viriginia to Big 12. Wow that is a poor decision... Closest potential game is 872 miles to Ames, Iowa with the farthest potential game is 1469 miles to Lubbock, Texas. This will be brutal on these student athletes, especially for sports like Basketball with weekday games for almost approx 6 months.

Meh, travel doesn't matter that much. Just more time on a plane. Amount of travel days will be mostly the same since they stay overnight for most big east trips anyway.

Just didn't really have any option. The snobby ass ACC schools didn't want WVU and the SEC only cares about media market size so they opted for Mizzou who's never done shit in football or basketball.

Couldn't stay in the Big East as it's too unstable and unsure to keep it's BCS bid. Also a ton more money as the Big 12 current payout is around $17-20 million per team per year, whereas the big east is around $5-7 million for the football schools.

Here's Joe Schad's story:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...rginia-mountaineers-early-tuesday-source-says

WVU's invite isn't contingent on Mizzou leaving. So I guess if they end up staying somehow they Big 12 stays at 11 or goes to 12.

Still a lot of rumors around the sports blogs/twitter that they just plan to add WVU ASAP to replace Mizzou and then talk about whether to expand more. Be it adding Louisville and Cincy to get to 12, or maybe going to 14 or 16 even.

Hope that ends up happening as it's a much better for for WVU if they have a few eastern teams in the conference with them.

But either way it's a big step up in football from the Big East and should be a boost for recruiting since Coach Holgorsen and his staff have all their ties in that area from coaching at Ok State, Texas Tech and Houston before coming to WVU (and some other schools like Arizona for some of the assistants).

Will still be awesome in basketball as well with WVU, Kansas, K State, Texas, Baylor, Ok State etc.--much stronger than the SEC in that sport.

I'm being serious here, has Joe Schad ever written an article with a named source? And after everything that went down with him and the Cam Newton stuff--not to mention his breaking the Miles to Michigan story thanks to sources--how can we trust the guy?

This has little to do with WVU since they are definitely moving to the Big 12. But Schad is a pretty bad and unreliable journalist.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Will still be awesome in basketball as well with WVU, Kansas, K State, Texas, Baylor, Ok State etc.--much stronger than the SEC in that sport.[/QUOTE]

Not that I think it will happen, but can you imagine if the collapse of the Big East forces Notre Dame to give up their independent status and go to the ACC? I think Swofford has hinted that ND would be the only reason to expand to 16 teams. If the conference turned around a grabbed UCONN along with them, ACC basketball would be ridiculous.

The ACC would be the home of eight champions from the last eleven years. :drool:

Edit: last eleven years, not ten.

No one is going to go on the record before an official press release or press conference.

Apparently there will be a press conference at WVU tomorrow per reports from multiple WV reporters.

On the local sports talkshows they were saying something about the Big 12 working out a deal to add both ND and BYU however not for all sports. BYU would join in football only because they have issues with the traveling and playing on Sunday. Notre Dame would then join in all sports with the exception of football but would agree to play Big 12 teams in some non-conference games.

I was at work so I was only catching bits and pieces so I don't know if it was just the host throwing around his ideas or if there was some sort of source/rumors of this actually being a possibility.

Now WVU's Big 12 invite is on hold while they wait on Mizzou and hear a pitch from Louisville. Apparently a few coaches raised a stink a out travel to Morgantown since they'd have to fly in to pittsburgh and bus the 90 minutes down.

Absurd this came up last night as they told WVU they were in yesterday, and then reneged. Causing them to have to scrap a press conference today.

The big 12 told WVU they were in.

Just read that they are in, and hold up is just Mizzou tryin to greatly reduce their buyout by arguing that their leaving doesn't harm the big 12 since they already have a replacement.

Louisville is apparently just lobbying the big 12 to go to 12 and take them as well. Interestingly Pitino seems to prefer the bi east and is lobbying to get Temple and Memphis added to sure up BE basketball.

Damn, this is getting messy. Apparently Sen. McConnel from KY got involved in trying to pressure the Big 12 to take Louisville. Sen. Machin from WV is having a press conference at 6 pm to speak about it--apparently considering an investigation into whether inappropriate/unethical actions were taken by members of congress.

Anyway, latest word on a few of the Big 12 blog sites is that the Big 12 may just invite both WVU and Louisville and go with 11 teams for now if Mizzou leaves.

I am completely sick of all this "official word" and "sources closes to the administration confirmed" bullshit at this point.

ESPN just needs to report it as a strong fucking rumor until the Big 12 commissioner holds a public press conference to accept them into the league.

It's not just with WVU, I mean with all the realignment in general. Report rumors, but for fucks sake quit trying to pump them up with different language.

[quote name='darthbudge']I am gonna be kind of pissed if Mizzou gets into the SEC. Although I guess that would just be another chump team for LSU to beat up on...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know they're pissed at Texas but they have a much better shot at competing for a conference title here than in the SEC. Mizzou fans here are split about whether they should leave or not.

[quote name='blindinglights']I am completely sick of all this "official word" and "sources closes to the administration confirmed" bullshit at this point.

ESPN just needs to report it as a strong fucking rumor until the Big 12 commissioner holds a public press conference to accept them into the league.

It's not just with WVU, I mean with all the realignment in general. Report rumors, but for fucks sake quit trying to pump them up with different language.[/QUOTE]

Agreed in general. But this mess is all on the Big 12.

Multiple newspaper reporters in WV have confirmed that WVU officials told them yesterday that it was a done deal and there would be a press conference today. Apparently the AD even met with coaches and informed them of the move.

Then McConnell started lobbying and Texas Tech (and maybe more schools) started bitching about travel and the league reneged on the verbal offer to WVU to give Louisville more consideration.

Just a mess. No wonder schools have been jumping off the Big 12 like the Titanic the past couple of years.

No offense to wvu but how are they even considering them over Louisville. I'm obviously biased but louisville is significantly closer to all the big 12 schools, it has an airport, the city and surrounding area is almost 2 million, they spend more money on sports, they have better facilities, their bball program makes the 2nd most money in the NCAA (#1 in profit, makes more money than wvu football does), and other than football Louisville has has great success at almost every sport. West Virginia has.....a better football team? I don't get it.

[quote name='gbpackers94']No offense to wvu but how are they even considering them over Louisville. I'm obviously biased but louisville is significantly closer to all the big 12 schools, it has an airport, the city and surrounding area is almost 2 million, they spend more money on sports, they have better facilities, their bball program makes the 2nd most money in the NCAA (#1 in profit, makes more money than wvu football does), and other than football Louisville has has great success at almost every sport. West Virginia has.....a better football team? I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

It is a little odd because how good the football team is hasn't exactly driven a lot of these shifts (Colorado, Pitt, Syracuse, Mizzou if they go to the SEC). I would say that the distance thing is not too much better than WVU though. It would still be a 10 hour road trip to the nearest Big 12 school, so it's going to be plane rides either way but the local airport does help.

[quote name='gbpackers94']No offense to wvu but how are they even considering them over Louisville. I'm obviously biased but louisville is significantly closer to all the big 12 schools, it has an airport, the city and surrounding area is almost 2 million, they spend more money on sports, they have better facilities, their bball program makes the 2nd most money in the NCAA (#1 in profit, makes more money than wvu football does), and other than football Louisville has has great success at almost every sport. West Virginia has.....a better football team? I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

The Big 12 TV partners (Fox) want them over Louisville as WVU gets much better TV ratings in football which matters.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ing-big-12-expansion-plans.html#ixzz1bzgHiDR2

WVU also has a better football program, and that's what's driving the expansion. I'll give Louisville the non in b-ball, but not by much lately. Since 2004 WVU has done the following:

2004-05: Elite 8, lost to L'ville in overtime
2005-06: Sweet 16, lost to Texas on a buzzer beater
2006-07: rebuilding year, won the NIT
2007-08: Sweet 16, lost to Xavier in OT
2008-09: Lost to Dayton in first round
2009-10: Final 4, lost to Duke
2010-11: Lost to Kentucky in 2nd Round

Population is pretty moot. WV has the whole state of WV (1.8 million) and includes the Pittsburgh TV market an the DC market to some extent (lot of WVU stuff on DC channels as those are the local channels in eastern WV). L'ville can't claim much of KY outside of L'ville as most of the state are UK fans.

Travel is no big deal either. Teams can either fly into Pittsburgh and bus down 90 minutes, or into Clarksburgh and bus up 30 minutes. Smaller teams like basketball etc. can take smaller jets and fly into Morgantown directly if they want, and there's talk of expanding the runway in Morgantown so it can handle larger planes.

Profit doesn't matter either. The leagues only care about how much money a team can make them, not how much profit they make themselves. WVU's AD makes a profit as well, though it's not as much as Louisville due to their basketball profit.

Louisville does have newer/nicer facilities. Though their football stadium is a tad smaller at 55,000, while WVU's is at 60,000 with plans to expand if they join the Big 12 or SEC.

Only clear advantage Louisville has is being a bit closer to the Big 11 footprint. But they're still far enough to require flying, and it's not big deal to have an extra 30-45 minutes in the air. A few schools are bitching about the 90 minute bus ride from Pittsburgh, but I think they're not aware that they can fly into Clarksburg, WV which is only 30 minutes away. It's a small airport but has a long enough runway for commercial jets (Air Force One even landed there once).

In any case, there's some growing sentiment that the Big 12 may just take both WVU and L'ville due to all the political pressure from both sides and either stop at 11 or grab BYU/Cincy/Houston/Whoever to go to 12. Problem is a few schools including Texas prefer staying at 10.

Though reports are WVU is still ahead of L'ville in the pecking order:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...ce-realignment-expands-to-politics/50946194/1

From other reports, WVU is ahead due to being the TV partner's preference and apparently Texas is lobbying for them hard while OU may be lobbying for L'ville.

Hopefully they take both and Cincy. Either WVU or Louisville will really be on an island in the league if they're the only eastern team added.

Looks like someone at the SEC goofed and made the page announcing Missouri's joining the league live before it was officially announced!

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NE...8830/tiger-tracks-missouri-joins-the-sec.aspx

Here's the release in case it gets taken down.

Tiger Tracks: Missouri Joins The SEC
By: Sean Cartell
SEC Digital Network

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Given the ever-changing conference paradigm over the past year, the Southeastern Conference has continued to demonstrate its commitment to maintaining its stature as one of the nation’s premier conferences by welcoming the University of Missouri as the league’s 14th member, Commissioner Mike Slive announced Monday.

Missouri joins Texas A&M University as the league’s two new institutions who will begin full membership on July 1, 2012. It is the first expansion of the SEC membership since Arkansas and South Carolina joined the conference in 1992.

Missouri was a charter member of the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1907, which became the Big Six Conference in 1964, the Big Eight Conference in 1964 and the Big 12 Conference in 1996.

Geographically, it is a natural fit as the state of Missouri touches more states (Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee) that currently are home to an SEC institution than any other state that is not in the league’s previous 13-member footprint. Like the majority of the cities in the SEC, Columbia, Mo., is a college-centered town with a metropolitan population of 164,283, making it the fifth-largest city in the state of Missouri.

With an enrollment of 32,415, the University of Missouri boasts a strong academic resume, as it is one of only five universities nationwide with law, medicine, veterinary medicine and a research reactor on one campus. Six of Missouri’s sports teams last season led the Big 12 in graduation rate for their respective sports.

Culturally, Missouri is as well known for its barbecue, country music, history and rich tradition as the majority of the current states of the SEC.

Missouri is one of only 35 public U.S. universities invited to membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). It will become the fourth SEC school that is part of the AAU, joining Florida, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt.

Monday’s announcement marks just the fourth time in the history of the conference that the SEC will expand its membership. In a landscape that has seemed ever-changing in recent years, the SEC has exemplified stability as 10 of its original 13 members remain.

The league began as a 13-team league until Sewanee’s departure from the conference in 1940. After Georgia Tech’s move to independent status in 1964, the league had 11 members before Tulane departed in 1966, leaving the SEC as a 10-team conference for more than two decades.

At the start of the decade of the 1990s, a similar shift in conference alignment allowed Arkansas and South Carolina to join the SEC. The benefits have been nothing short of outstanding.

Soon after joining the league, the Razorbacks claimed the 1994 NCAA Championship in men’s basketball and finished as the NCAA runner-up the following year. They made their first appearance in the SEC Championship football game in 1995, appearing again in 2002 and 2006.

The Arkansas women’s basketball team made its first-ever Final Four appearance in 1998 before winning the WNIT the next season. The level of track and field in the SEC was quickly raised with the addition of the Razorbacks. Arkansas’ men won cross country national titles in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999 and 2000. Men’s NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships came every year from 1993-2000 and again in 2003, 2005 and 2006. The men also claimed NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships from 1993-1999 and again in 2003.

South Carolina won the Women’s NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship in 2002, becoming, at the time, just the second different SEC team to claim an NCAA Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championship. The past two seasons have been magical ones for the Gamecocks, as they have captured back-to-back NCAA Championships in baseball and advanced to the SEC Championship game in football for the first time in the program’s history.

On September 25, 2011, Texas A&M was announced as the league’s 13th member, beginning with the 2012-13 academic year.

Missouri took to the field for the first time in 1890, making it one of the first SEC institutions to begin playing football. Kentucky played a three-game schedule in 1881, but didn’t play again until a decade later. Vanderbilt also began its football program in 1890.

Don Faurot was one of the early founders of Missouri athletics, as he was a three-sport standout for the Tigers from 1922-24. He served the school as its football coach from 1935-56 and continued on as the athletics director until 1967. Faurot is known for the creation of the Split-T formation in 1941. The formation’s option play still today serves as the basis for many present-day schemes, including the Wishbone, Wingbone, Veer and I-Formation.

Faurot compiled a record of 101-79-10, making the school’s first modern-day bowl appearance in 1939 when it advanced to the Orange Bowl. Until 1994, the year prior to his death, Faurot was heavily involved in the annual Blue-Gray football game in Montgomery, Ala.

The Tigers rose to national prominence under head coach Dan Devine in the 1960s, when Devine’s winning percentage of .767 was the best in the nation during that decade. In 13 seasons at Missouri, Devine posted a record of 93-37-7 and eight players earned First-Team All-America honors. His 1960 Missouri squad finished with an 11-0 record and defeated Navy 21-14 in the Orange Bowl. The 1965 squad went 8-2-1 and defeated Florida in the Sugar Bowl. The Tigers won the Big Eight Conference in 1960 and 1969 under Devine.

Since 2007, the football Tigers have claimed three Big 12 North Championships. Under current head coach Gary Pinkel, Missouri posted a 12-2 record in 2007 and defeated Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl.

The Tigers began playing basketball in 1906 and enjoyed the greatest amount of success under legendary head coach Norm Stewart from 1967-99. In 32 years, Stewart led Missouri to 634 wins and 333 losses for a .656 winning percentage, the best in program history. Stewart’s teams won 20 or more games 17 times, including a school-record 29 wins during the 1988-89 season. He won eight Big Eight Conference championships and six conference tournament titles.

Missouri started competing in the sport of baseball in 1891 and won the College World Series in 1954, marking the school’s first national title in any sport. The Tigers have made six CWS appearances in the program’s history, including three national runner-up finishes (1952, 1958, 1964).

The Tigers also have had great success in the sport of track and field and won the NCAA Men’s Indoor Championship in 1965. The soccer and softball teams have been proficient as of late with soccer winning the 2009 Big 12 Championship and softball claiming that title in 2011.

I think the only thing holding it up now is the legal crap. Negotiating the buyout with the Big 12 and the start date. They want to start next year but that will cause a huge cluster fuck for teams to redo their schedules.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbsspor...522/32980106?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

WVU to Big 12 is now a done deal. Big 12 officially voted them in this morning over Louisville, and the league will stay at 10 for now. WVU has accepted and has already told the Big East they're leaving (that was confirmed by Pete Thamel of the NYT who said the Big East confirmed WVU's resignation). Also on ESPN ticker, and local media in WV and Big 12 school towns are confirming it as well.

WVU will only have to pay the $5 million exit fee (rather than the new $10 million fee) since the Big East hasn't added any teams yet.

Last thing to hash out is whether they can get out of the 27 month waiting period. Per some other blogs/tweets out there, both WVU sources and Big 12 sources expect Mizzou to be in the SEC in 2012 and WVU in the Big 12. WVU will just have to pay a bigger exit fee ($21 million has been rumored, as apparently that's what the league offered Pitt/Cuse if they wanted to leave for ACC for 2012) to get out early.

Here's the full CBS story, which also address what's next for the Big East.

West Virginia has accepted an offer to join the Big 12 Conference, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com Friday.

The Mountaineers informed the Big East Friday morning that they were leaving the league. The Big 12 is expected to officially announce the invitation later today.

The Big 12's board of directors voted Friday morning and chose West Virginia over Louisville. The Big 12 will stay at 10 schools, a source said.

On Tuesday, West Virginia had received a verbal offer to join the Big 12, but then the league put the Mountaineers on hold because the league’s board of directors wanted to perform “due diligence.”

The league was split between adding West Virginia or Louisville to replace Missouri, which is expected to leave the league for the SEC.

Missouri still hasn’t officially left the Big 12. The Tigers are still negotiating an exit fee to leave the league. The SEC’s Digital Network, an official website of the SEC, accidentally posted a story Thursday night that Missouri would join the SEC on July 1, 2012.

If Missouri joins the SEC next season, West Virginia still may have to wait until 2014 to leave the Big East for the Big 12. The Big East has a 27-month requirement notice before teams may leave the league. West Virginia also will have to pay a $5 million exit fee. That figure would have been $10 million if the Mountaineers would have informed the league after Navy or Air Force joined the league, which they have not.

West Virginia is the latest team to announce it's leaving the Big East Conference. Pittsburgh and Syracuse are headed to the ACC and Big East commissioner John Marinatto has said both schools would not be able to leave until July 1, 2014.

TCU, which was scheduled to join the Big East next season, will join the Big 12 and begin play next season. The Horned Frogs were not bound by the 27-month requirement since they left the Big East before they officially joined.

With the Big 12 only taking West Virginia - and not taking Louisville as well - the Big East’s chances of retaining its BCS automatic qualifying status in 2014 is greatly improved.

The Big East is seeking a 12-team football league and is expected to issue invitations to Boise State, Air Force, Navy, Houston, SMU and Central Florida. That would increase the football membership to 11 teams.

On Friday morning, UCF's board of trustees voted unanimously to give UCF President John Hitt the authority to make decisions about conference affiliation. A day earlier, Houston's board of regents granted President Renu Khator the authority for the Cougars to change conferences. UCF and Houston are both currently in Conference USA.
On Wednesday, Marinatto and associate commissioner Nick Carparelli visited Air Force officials in Colorado Springs, Colo., and Thursday visited Boise State officials in Boise.

"We appreciate the effort John Marinatto is putting forth stabilizing the Big East," Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk said Friday morning. "We're in the bullpen watching this unfold, doing our due diligence waiting for the dust to settle. When it does, we'll decide what is best for Navy."

With the loss of West Virginia, the Big East would need a 12th member. Sources have told CBSSports.com that the Big East’s potential Western schools are in favor of adding BYU. It’s unknown if the Cougars would be interested, but the fact the Big 12 will stay at 10 schools may increase BYU's chances of joining the Big East as a football-only member.

Temple also is a very strong candidate as the 12th member.

The Big East could extend official invitations next week. The league’s presidents are scheduled to meet with Marinatto in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Edit: ESPN has a quote from a Big East official confirming WVU withdrawing from the league.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/25683/official-west-virginia-to-big-12

West Virginia is officially headed to the Big 12.

Big East spokesman John Paquette confirmed to ESPN that West Virginia had notified the league of its withdrawal.

The move leaves the Big East with five football-playing members, though commissioner John Marinatto has been meeting with potential members, including Air Force and Boise State.

[quote name='Chitown021']I think the only thing holding it up now is the legal crap. Negotiating the buyout with the Big 12 and the start date. They want to start next year but that will cause a huge cluster fuck for teams to redo their schedules.[/QUOTE]

Only an issue for the SEC, and they've already been working on both 13 and 14 team schedules per a quote from an SEC official the other day.

Big 12 will just have TCU play A&M's 2012 schedule, and WVU (provided they can join in 2012) would play Mizzou's schedule.

[quote name='perdition(troy']9 TD's.

534 yards.[/QUOTE]

I think Case is a great player and all, but when you play in a pass happy offense that loves to run up the score in a crappy league, I just can't help but think his accomplishments aren't anything that a lot of good quarterbacks could do in the same system. Houston was up 52-20 with 8 minutes left in the third quarter. Does the backup come in? No, Houston keeps Case in and lets him throw three more touchdown passes. To me, that coach should be reprimanded for such a display of poor sportsmanship. How would he feel if his team was on the other side of that beating?

Also, if you watch the highlights for that game, Rice doesn't look like they have ever played defense before. I think at one point last night during the Miami/UVA game they showed three touchdown highlights and in each one the receiver had a 10+ yard lead on the defensive back. It's not difficult to throw a ton of touchdowns when your receivers are flat out blowing the doors off the corners and safeties. There was one highlight where it looked like the receiver could have stopped, caught the ball, and started running again and still never been touched.

Official Big East Statement:

“This move by West Virginia does not come as a surprise. League officials, members of our conference and the candidate schools to whom we have been talking were aware of this possibility. We have taken West Virginia’s possible departure into account as we have moved forward with our own realignment plans. West Virginia is fully aware that the Big East Conference is committed to enforcing the 27-month notification period for members who choose to leave the conference. We are confident that in the coming weeks we will complete our own realignment program, adding a number of high-quality members to remain among the top conferences in both football and basketball.”

I wouldn't put any stock into forcing the waiting period. They offered Pitt and Cuse to leave early for $21 million, no way they can't offer WVU the same.

And there are some reports on Twitter that the chair of WVU's board of governors has confirmed that papers have been signed and WVU will be in the Big 12 on July 1, 2012. Apparently he was just interviewed on local radio.

And here's the official Big 12 press release. God the Big East is such a joke, commish says we'll be held to the 27 months, Big 12 confirms we are in the league on July 1, 2012 and will being competing in the 2012-13 season not 30 minutes later. :lol:

Release also confirms they expect Mizzou to be in the SEC next season (see last paragraph).

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205323383

West Virginia University To Join Big 12 Conference

The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors have voted unanimously to accept West Virginia University as a full conference member effective July 1, 2012. The Mountaineers will begin competing in the Big 12 beginning with the 2012-13 athletic season.

West Virginia is the second new member to join the Conference since it began in 1996 after the addition of TCU earlier this month.

"The Big 12 Presidents and Chancellors are excited to welcome another outstanding institution to the Conference," said Burns Hargis, Chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors and President of Oklahoma State University. "The addition of West Virginia, while expanding the reach of the Big 12, brings an impressive institution with esteemed academics and a proud athletic tradition into the Conference. This is another step in building a strong foundation for the future of the Big 12."

"The Big 12 is a perfect fit for West Virginia University," said WVU President Dr. James P. Clements. "It is a strong conference that, like WVU, values quality academic and athletic programs, and has a great tradition of success. This is a very exciting time for WVU and Mountaineer nation. I am confident that the future of WVU athletics has never been more promising."

West Virginia University, located in Morgantown, sponsors 17 varsity sports. Men’s sports include baseball, basketball, football, soccer, swimming & diving and wrestling. Women’s sports are basketball, cross country, gymnastics, rowing, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track & field and volleyball. The Mountaineers also boast a co-ed rifle squad. The Big 12 sponsors every sport the Mountaineers participate in except rifle and men’s soccer.

"We are excited to add West Virginia to our exceptional lineup of Conference members," said Big 12 Interim Commissioner Chuck Neinas. "They bring an excellent overall athletic program to the Big 12 and allow the league to expand into an area that boasts a passionate group of fans and alumni throughout its region."

Since its inception 15 years ago, the Big 12 has won 42 team national championships and 492 NCAA individual crowns. In addition, more than 3,700 student-athletes have earned All-America First Team accolades for their play on the field with more than 500 being recognized with Academic All-America honors.

Beginning with the 2012-13 season it is expected that the Big 12 Conference will be comprised of 10 Universities – Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia. The Big 12’s footprint will encompass five states with over 36 million people. More than 4,100 student-athletes from across the United States and around the World compete annually in the 23 sports sponsored by the Conference.

[quote name='blindinglights']I think Case is a great player and all, but when you play in a pass happy offense that loves to run up the score in a crappy league, I just can't help but think his accomplishments aren't anything that a lot of good quarterbacks could do in the same system.[/QUOTE]
So that's why other QBs in similiar situations are posting the same... oh wait they aren't. Case has a 194.1 QB Rating, 600+ pasing yards on the next guy, 8 more TDs than the next QB, etc. I don't care if the kid plays in a midmajor conference; the numbers he puts up are just ridiculous.

Doege (Texas Tech), i.e. the next guy, has 40+ more passing attempts (still to play his 8th game like Case) and again is minus 600+ passing yards on Case with 10 less TDs.

Rice, for instance, is bad no doubt. But do you know Case/Houston scored more points on them then Texas, Baylor, and Southern Miss... Also of note Rice beat Purdon't i.e. AQ school.

Fun Factor: This same team without Case last year had 5 wins.

Keenum is a great QB, but there's no disputing the numbers in terms of TDs and yardage get inflated in that system. But that doesn't take away from his accuracy and QB rating etc. at all. He's having a great season for sure.

Same thing with Geno Smith at WVU who is in the same system (Holgorsen was OC at Houston before moving to Ok State last year and WVU this year, and they run the same system).

He's shattering passing records at WVU and going to blow away what he threw for last year. But it's primarily the system. He's not any more accurate than last year, just throwing a shit ton more as we hardly run the ball now.

QB rating is the best thing to look at as it doesn't get inflated by passing yards etc. that are tied to the system. And Keenum is having a phenomenal year based on that.

[quote name='lordopus99']blah blah blah[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but I think how good he actually is and how good he appears to be from his numbers are two different things.

Against Rice, touchdown pass in the fourth quarter while already up by 30 points.

Against North Texas, touchdown pass in the fourth quarter while already up by 24 points.

Against East Carolina, touchdown pass in the fourth quarter while already up by 39 points.

Against Marshall, touchdown pass in the fourth quarter while already up by 28 points.

Between the lack of regard for sportsmanship by the coaching staff and the system itself, the numbers are inflated. Also, you should remember that passer rating is calculated using yards and touchdowns as variables, so I'd say even that could be somewhat inflated.

His accuracy is probably the most impressive thing in my opinion, because you do have to be able to put the ball on target in that type of system.

[quote name='blindinglights']Blah Blah Blah[/QUOTE]
Let's look at the Heisman frontrunner...
Stanford/Washington St - Luck threw 2 TDs passes in the fourth up 17.
Stanford/Duke - Luck threw 1 TD pass in the fourth up 23.
Stanford/Colorado - Luck threw 1 TD pass in the fourth up 34.
Stanford/UCLA - Luck threw 1 TD pass with 2 minutes left up 19.
So why aren't his numbers close...

In defense for Case in relation to Rice game...
He threw 37 passes... comparisons Weeden (OK St) threw 47 last game, Boyd (Clemson) threw 46 last game, Doege/Jones (TT/OK) combined for 107 passing attempts in their game...
In addition, the last touchdown was a 5 yard dump pass that turned to a 47 score; their wideout burned Rice defenders all game including this score.

Again, there are plenty of other QB that are in a pass happy offense who aren't coming close to the numbers he possesses.

First of all, because I don't think you seem to get it, I do believe Case is a good player. Probably better than good. Either way, I have said that twice now:

[quote name='blindinglights']I think Case is a great player[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blindinglights']Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player[/QUOTE]

Second of all,

[quote name='lordopus99']So why aren't his numbers close...[/QUOTE]

You have to be kidding me. You can't seriously be that dense.

Maybe because Stanford is run-heavy offense that uses the ground and pound to setup play action for Luck? Stanford is #19 in the country, averaging 219.43 yds/G. Houston is #57 in the country, averaging 159.13 yds/G. Stanford also likes to play keep away with that run game, it can be seen by looking at time of possession. Stanford is #22 in the country, averaging 32:00.29 min/G. Houston is #119, averaging 25:02.75 min/G.

Since you love little "fun facts" so much, here's an interesting one:

During the 2009 season, Case threw 40 more passes than Luck did in his 2009 and 2010 seasons combined.

Show me Andrew Luck throwing 700 passes in the spread during a single season and then compare them. :roll:

[quote name='lordopus99']Again, there are plenty of other QB that are in a pass happy offense who aren't coming close to the numbers he possesses.[/QUOTE]

You mean like that chump Graham Harrell? That loser that Case just passed on the all-time touchdown list? Yeah, well Graham served as a seldom used back-up duty in 2005 (55 total attempts, that's equivalent to a game or two for these kinds of system QBs) and started the following three full years.

Case on the other hand, while not being the true starter until late in the season, played in all thirteen games in 2007 (273 att, 2,259 yds). He was the starter in 2008 and 2009. He got three free games in 2010 thanks to the medical waiver for the extra year. Now he's the starter in his fourth year of seeing significant play time.

Also I think it would be important to point out that throwing against the kind of defensive talent that UTEP, Tulane, Tulsa, and Rice have isn't exactly the same as throwing against the kind of players that Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, etc. would have roaming around downfield.

All things equal, would Case's numbers still blow Harrell out of the water?

What other quarterbacks had four years of significant playing time in air raid offenses?

I can think of Timmy Chang, which Case is definitely better than Chang because of his lower accuracy and many interceptions.

Harrell, Couch, Brennan, Heupel, Kingsbury... None of these guys had as much playing time as Case.

You can look at the career passing yards all-time list and find someone like say Phillip Rivers, he had four years of real action right? Yeah, but it wasn't the same kind of system. The most passes Rivers ever through in a single season was 483. Case threw 589 times in '08 and 700 times in '09. Can't compare there either.

Maybe Keenum's predecessor? Kolb? He was around for four years right? He made 1,564 attempts in his career. Case has 1,929 attempts so far. We still have nearly half the season left. Houston obviously decided that lowly 400 attempts per season crap had to stop when Kolb left.

Case has ridiculous numbers... He stuck around longer than all the other guys, it was bound to happen.

[quote name='blindinglights']
You have to be kidding me. You can't seriously be that dense.

Maybe because Stanford is run-heavy offense that uses the ground and pound to setup play action for Luck? Stanford is #19 in the country, averaging 219.43 yds/G. Houston is #57 in the country, averaging 159.13 yds/G. Stanford also likes to play keep away with that run game, it can be seen by looking at time of possession. Stanford is #22 in the country, averaging 32:00.29 min/G. Houston is #119, averaging 25:02.75 min/G.

Since you love little "fun facts" so much, here's an interesting one:

During the 2009 season, Case threw 40 more passes than Luck did in his 2009 and 2010 seasons combined.

Show me Andrew Luck throwing 700 passes in the spread during a single season and then compare them. :roll:[/quote]
So that explains why Luck has more interceptions in less passing attempts... Let's be for real. If Houston throws all game, all defenses against them would play prevent and Case's turnovers should be higher.

In example the guys you listed...
Harrell (senior year) - 9
Chang (senior year) - 13
Brennan (senior year) - 17
Kingsbury (senior year) - 13

Again note, Case has 3; nowhere close on par with these guys. You can compare QB Ratings if you would like.

I would rather comment on current guys in those pass happy systems...
Doege - numbers aren't close.
Jones - numbers aren't close.
Boyd - numbers aren't close.
G. Smith - numbers aren't close.
Foles - numbers aren't close.

You might claim they play better comp so lets add in other midmajor teams...
Troy's QB throws tons of passes and his numbers are garbage.
East Carolina's QB (fellow CUSA team) throws tons of passes and his numbers are garbage.
Hawaii's QB throws tons of passes and his numbers aren't close.

What other quarterbacks had four years of significant playing time in air raid offenses?
Jones will have 4 years and he won't hit his stats.

Though, you know he split time his freshmen year...

bread's done
Back