Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

I will assume #2 is aimed at me since I was the most recent to mention the media. It *IS* ridiculous. I'm not advocating anyone, however, be a realist. How many fucked up things go on in this country daily? How many people "allegedly" kill their spouse? And how many OJ Simpson-esque fiascos do we see? Same with Michael Jackson, now same with Penn State. The majority of the media in this country is not here to be the fourth estate any longer (PM me when you need a definition). They are here to get clicks and views and ratings.

What happened at Penn State is reprehensible, but unfortunately, so is how 80% (generous) of the media has acted in the wake.

Sad fact of the day: While this is a complete tradgedy, it happened 9 years ago- once again not condoning anything. This story outplayed (unscientific poll watching sportscenter and fox sports at dinner) reports of the kidnapping of Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos by about 8 to 1.

So if you want to say "bullshit" is popping up here - remember, just like the media - that's your opinion.

[quote name='dothog']Two things on some of the bullshit popping up here...

1. Dwelling on McQueary as a way of white knighting for JoePa isn't making much of a case. They'll all get dismissed. There's no telling why the ordering is the way that it is.

However, JoePa certainly didn't help himself with that press release he made on announcing his retirement: he made that aside about how the Board of Trustees had other things to concern themselves with than his dismissal. If he's Mr. Upstanding, his retirement statement should have read only 1) I retire and 2) My thoughts go out to the victims and their families. Instead he chose to play grabass politics with the Board and make a last stab at doing things on his terms -- bad move. He put himself above PSU in that statement. He did.

Sticking around only demonized the board, and if he cared about PSU he wouldn't have done that. Because he should've known they'd have to let him go -- the moment anyone reads that grand jury report, you know that anyone who had knowledge of Sandusky had to go. How could he ever possibly think he had the right to stick around? He covered for that guy, he did wrong!

2. Also, the above comments in this thread about the BIG BAD MEDIA miss the point entirely. This story is exactly as big as it should be. This should be a scandal. You're PSU fans, you regret what it will do to your school and your team, I understand that. But don't fool yourself into thinking that the Board of Trustees took action on the president and Paterno to give the ugly meanies in the Media their pound of flesh (see #1). That's delusional.

Harrisburg's paper was the first to comment on the grand jury's report last week. That's Harrisburg, not some non-local, big name conglomerate out for JoePa's head. Then as a matter of digging people uncovered the perjury charges on the AD and his buddy, then reporters actually read the report and were horrified at the details, and here we are. It's a national story because it's big. Sure, ESPN does their thing and they embarrass themselves in the process (as always), but good, legitimate sources of news are reporting this closely. It's a BIG story.

It's no mystery, it's no grand conspiracy against PSU and JoePa. It's probably the biggest US sports scandal, and from the sound of it (JoePa feeling out legal representation against possible criminal charges), it's only getting bigger. So you can tell yourselves it's the terrible media out to tarnish your boy's precious legacy and sensationalize and yellow journalism and blah blah blah, but just know that you're blowing smoke up your own ass. Nobody else buys into it no matter how hard you piss and moan.[/QUOTE]

You're just wrong, the media has almost nothing to do with the response from PSU's board of trustees.

For example, Gov. Corbett, who started the grand jury inquest in 2009 while Atty Gen for PA, had exactly the attitude you'd expect: to clean up the mess, you start firing at the top and work your way down. You can read about it here. Note that Corbett is a member of the PSU BOT.
Over the next four days, then, Mr. Corbett, a Republican, kept his public statements spare, calling on trustees to act quickly and aggressively. But privately, he worked to move the board in what he believed was the right direction. He called multiple members, including Vice Chairman John P. Surma, the chief executive of U.S. Steel, and told them that the country was watching, that a change at the top was needed and that the issue was about more than a football program, according to a person with knowledge of his efforts.

That's the Governor of PA's position, not ESPN or CNN. Note that the article mentions the Corbett had been expecting this day since he took office, just waiting for the inquiry to finish. It also mentions Corbett observing parallels between PSU's cover up and actions taken by the Catholic Church. That's the Gov of PA's observation, not some talking head on TV.

Sure, there's opinion there, but that's the opinion of someone who just happens to be the Gov of PA and a member of the PSU Board of Trustees.

If you have problems with ESPN or Fox Sports, get your news elsewhere. Otherwise you're just intentionally ill-informed: ESPN and Fox Sports do not constitute at least 80% of the reporting on this. This story is the biggest scandal in US sports.

If you have problems with ESPN or Fox Sports, get your news elsewhere. Otherwise you're just intentionally ill-informed: ESPN and Fox Sports do not constitute at least 80% of the reporting on this. This story is the biggest scandal in US sports.
A graduate assistant seeing a kid being raped by someone not working for Penn State or being employed by their athletic department, doing nothing to stop it, not calling the cops, and letting a football coach know about it is the biggest scandal in US sports. Ugh.

[quote name='perdition(troy']A graduate assistant seeing a kid being raped by someone not working for Penn State or being employed by their athletic department, doing nothing to stop it, not calling the cops, and letting a football coach know about it is the biggest scandal in US sports. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

You don't try very hard, do you? You're intentionally misstating all the facts.
  • You're excluding that Sandusky was a Professor Emeritus at PSU with an office on campus all the way up until a week or so ago.
  • You're exluding the circumstances surrounding Sandusky's "retirement."
  • You're excluding that even though Sandusky was "retired" from PSU FB, he used his position and relationship with PSU athletics to use their facilities as a recruitment tool and staging grounds for his activities -- which included raping boys. This was conducted -- with the full blessing of PSU -- well after he was suspected of untoward activities toward boys.
  • You're excluding the institutional cover-up at a program that has made a point of reminding new recruits and everyone else that PSU wins the Right Way.
So yep, it's pretty big. You can pretend everybody's out to get you. There's over twenty possible victims we know about, and from the sound of it, that list is only getting bigger.

EDIT: These recruits must not understand that it's just an isolated incident, it's just a GA who failed to go to the cops! You need to reach out to them, Troy, and make them understand: it's just a big misunderstanding!

Yep, that Sandusky was still allowed status, office space and access to facilities at PSU is honestly what makes PSU look bad in all this.

It 100% makes it look like it was a coverup from the highest levels of the university and Sandusky was kept around as part of the ploy to keep a wrap on everything.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']2:37 into the second quarter, Oklahoma State is beating down Texas Tech 41-0.[/QUOTE]

I still can't figure out how the heck they beat OU. Since that game they have gotten rolled by Iowa State, Texas, and now OSU.

WVU blocks a field goal as time expires to hold on for a 24-21 win at Cincinnati.

Big East is a real cluster fuck. Cincy still in first at 3-1 in conference play, with WVU and 5 other teams behind them with 2 losses with Louisville going down to Pitt today.

[quote name='MasterSun1']If LSU loses to Arkansas or in the SEC Title game, and Oklahoma State loses to Oklahoma, it's gonna be crazy in the BCS.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget if Oregon loses in the Pac 12 title game (they have one this year, right?) that would make it even more insane. Also, who gets the West if LSU/Arkansas/Alabama each have one loss? The potential for the SEC West alone in the BCS would be insane!

Yep. Have to hope for LSU and Oklahoma State to go down now to have chaos with a bunch of 1 loss teams to put pressure on the BCS.

Those two win out, then there's no chaos at all and it's another year the system "worked."

[quote name='craven_fiend']Don't forget if Oregon loses in the Pac 12 title game (they have one this year, right?) that would make it even more insane. [/QUOTE]

That would make it less chaotic as it would be Oregon's second loss (they lost to LSU in the opener) and knock them out of any argument at deserving a title shot.

[quote name='craven_fiend'] Also, who gets the West if LSU/Arkansas/Alabama each have one loss? [/QUOTE]

I'd guess it would first go to head to head if one happened to have beaten the other two. After that it's probably who ever is highest in the BCS rankings or maybe something based on common opponents?

I know in the Big East a 3 way tie goes to whoever is highest in the Big East, but I think the conferences have their own tiebreaker rules.

Best case for chaos is LSU, Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and VT/Clemson (they'll probably play again in the ACC title game) all finish with just one loss.

Wow, big win by TCU! Second year in a row Boise's unbeaten streak comes to a halt from a kicker.

First loss at home for Boise State since 2007. First conference home loss since 1998!

I think they should have worn the blue unis so they could blend in with the field.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I believe the MWC passed a rule that Boise isn't allowed to wear blue uniforms at home in conference games.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure I heard this somewhere, too.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. Have to hope for LSU and Oklahoma State to go down now to have chaos with a bunch of 1 loss teams to put pressure on the BCS.

Those two win out, then there's no chaos at all and it's another year the system "worked."

That would make it less chaotic as it would be Oregon's second loss (they lost to LSU in the opener) and knock them out of any argument at deserving a title shot.

I'd guess it would first go to head to head if one happened to have beaten the other two. After that it's probably who ever is highest in the BCS rankings or maybe something based on common opponents?

I know in the Big East a 3 way tie goes to whoever is highest in the Big East, but I think the conferences have their own tiebreaker rules.

Best case for chaos is LSU, Alabama, Oregon, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and VT/Clemson (they'll probably play again in the ACC title game) all finish with just one loss.[/QUOTE]

If there is a 3 way tie in the SEC West, then the team with the highest ranking goes to Atlanta. However, if two teams are within 5 spots of the BCS standings, or something like that, then it goes to head to head.

The problem with this is if Arkansas beats LSU. Then, Alabama will probably be #2 (god forbid), Arkansas would probably move up to to 5, and LSU would certainly be no lower 6. So, we have three teams all tied up within 5 slots having all lost to each other. I don't know how they'd solve this one.

While I would love Arkansas to be the spoiler in all of this, they better watch out for the Bulldogs next weekend. Don't get caught looking past your opponent. MSST played Bama pretty stout initially. Ark can't afford to drop this game.

Also, while I'm as big of a Hog fan as anyone, LSU plays tough down in the valley. It seems the home team is the one with the advantage over the last several years with Nutt's final game as coach of Ark being the exception. Again though...if Ark can beat LSU it would be sooooo sweet.

What about UGa? Playing really well right now! They may have something to say about all of this for the conference championship.

[quote name='powercreep']While I would love Arkansas to be the spoiler in all of this, they better watch out for the Bulldogs next weekend. Don't get caught looking past your opponent. MSST played Bama pretty stout initially. Ark can't afford to drop this game.

Also, while I'm as big of a Hog fan as anyone, LSU plays tough down in the valley. It seems the home team is the one with the advantage over the last several years with Nutt's final game as coach of Ark being the exception. Again though...if Ark can beat LSU it would be sooooo sweet.

What about UGa? Playing really well right now! They may have something to say about all of this for the conference championship.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, before the Auburn game, I was just hoping Georgia would get by them, finish up with with Kentucky and squeak into the SEC championship for the honor of getting destroyed by the West. But the Georgia team I saw yesterday was the strongest and most confident I've seen in a looong time, certainly since Stafford left. I dunno. They could shock some folks.

The BCS officials just collectively shat themselves.

Congrats Iowa State more than a four touchdown dog upsets OSU in two OT 37-31! Who says Friday has no good games?

Alabama fans are rejoicing. Big 12 could be left out now since OK St should drop really big since they lost to a 5-4 team (huge underdog).

Though, I am still hopeful that Clemson finishes undefeated and hope to leap frog all these guys. It would nice to see an ACC team in there :cool:

[quote name='Chitown021']HOLY CRAP! Let the BCS chaos begin! Iowa State beats #2 Oklahoma State![/QUOTE]

Thank god. Tear down the BCS.

Probably not a good idea to have a camera with an open mic behind the bench after your offense goes 3-and-out.

I was just watching the Wisconsin - Illinois game and a few moments ago they caught Zook dropping some "F" bombs while scolding the offense for a pathetic drive.

[quote name='lordopus99']Alabama fans are rejoicing. Big 12 could be left out now since OK St should drop really big since they lost to a 5-4 team (huge underdog).

Though, I am still hopeful that Clemson finishes undefeated and hope to leap frog all these guys. It would nice to see an ACC team in there :cool:[/QUOTE]

So much for that scenario. NC State is giving Clemson a pounding.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']So much for that scenario. NC State is giving Clemson a pounding.[/QUOTE]

State is going to be nasty next year as long as they don't end up as a MASH unit again.

RAZORBACKS!!!! Can't wait for the showdown Friday afternoon. Been getting no love from the media, but that's cool. Time to prove it on the field. 6 days til kickoff..

PS, last team to beat LSU: Arkansas Razorbacks, Week 12, 2010

IT'S TIME

Love your enthusiasm MillerTime. I too hope the Hogs can win, but man o man LSU looked nasty last night. I'm sure Houston gave AR his best when they played him. AR struggled against Ole Miss and LSU ripped them to shreds. I know, Houston has been released and his team is down. I get all that, but still... Kinda scary especially considering AR is playing in Baton Rouge.

The real shame in all of this is that if AR loses, they'll likely go to the Cotton Bowl. That's just....ugh. Not hatin' on the Cotton Bowl, but they deserve more. Best AR can hope for is somehow LSU and Bama end up 1 and 2 and that should give them a chance to go to a BCS bowl if other things fall right for them.

I bet once the BCS gets released tonight it'll be LSU, Bama, Arkansas.. top 3 teams ALL in the SEC West.. Never would've thought I would have seen that. So if Arkansas beats LSU next week, and Alabama beat Arkansas earlier this year who goes on to play Georgia in the SEC championship? I also thought I heard someone saying Arkansas has beat LSU 4 out of the last 5 times or something crazy like that?

[quote name='pimpster4183']I bet once the BCS gets released tonight it'll be LSU, Bama, Arkansas.. top 3 teams ALL in the SEC West.. Never would've thought I would have seen that. So if Arkansas beats LSU next week, and Alabama beat Arkansas earlier this year who goes on to play Georgia in the SEC championship? I also thought I heard someone saying Arkansas has beat LSU 4 out of the last 5 times or something crazy like that?[/QUOTE]

If Arkansas beats LSU, Auburn would likely have to beat Alabama in order for Arkansas to get into the SEC title game. What would make things even more interesting would be something like the following:

LSU loses to Arkansas
Alabama loses to Auburn
Arkansas loses to Georgia
Standford loses to Notre Dame (or Pac 12 title game)
Virginia Tech loses to Virginia (or in the ACC title game)

Would that leave the door open for Houston and Boise? LSU would probably be up there too in that situation.

[quote name='lordopus99']OK State #4 what a sham. You can lose to a crappy team, nowhere close to being ranked, and only drop 2 spots. :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

And Oregon should be ahead of Oklahoma. At least Oregon loses to good teams. And Boise state should be ahead of vt, the only good team vt has played is Clemson and they got trounced, at least Boise has beaten a ranked opponent (UGA).

Headline on ESPN: BCS makes LSU, Bama 1-2, Rematch looms. It's funny how they wanted to hype up the LSU / Bama game for 2 weeks, now that it's time for Arkansas / LSU, let's talk about a potential rematch 6 weeks down the road.

C'mon Arkansas, fuck this thing up even more.

I want the title game to be Houston vs. someone with Houston getting demolished by like 50 points in the most boring game ever.

I honestly don't think LSU should even drop if they lose to Arkansas, unless they somehow get blown out (which I don't think will happen). They're better than Bama and how exactly do you rearrange them?

1. Bama
2. Ark
3. LSU

1. Ark
2. Bama
3. LSU

1. Ark
2. LSU
3. Bama

I really don't see how any of those will make any more sense than just leaving them be.

I think the best thing that could possibly happen is for Auburn to win this weekend and just take Bama out of the conversation so it's not so confusing. If that happened, hopefully Oklahoma State could blow the doors off Oklahoma and we can still see OSU v. LSU.

As much as I hate the idea of the BCS, it'll likely end up undefeated LSU vs. Bama with 1-loss and everyone else will have managed to get 2 losses. Then all the jackasses on ESPN will go "hurrr durr the BCS always gets it right, 2 best teams" and we can hope for a playoff again next year.

There's just not enough "chaos" this year. The stars really need to align if we can ever hope for a playoff. I'm talking undefeated champions from at least four (five would be better) AQ conferences plus a non-AQ one just to stir it up even more. In my opinion, the only way we'll ever see a major revamp is if the final BCS rankings look like this (teams are irrelevant, it's just who I thought of when I was going through the conferences):

1. Florida 13-0
2. Texas 12-0
3. Oregon 13-0
4. Michigan State 13-0
5. Miami 13-0
6. Nevada 12-0

That's the kind of crazy shit we really need to get this overhaul underway. However, seeing how it's so difficult for a team to go undefeated, I'm not sure if it'll ever happen.

Well there has not been more than three AQ in recent memory.

The last time there was three was 2004:

USC
Oklahoma
Auburn

Louisville, Boise State and Utah were the non AQ ones.

Yet, we still remain with the same system.....

edit: forgot Louisville was still in Conference USA at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Halo05']C'mon Arkansas, fuck this thing up even more.

I want the title game to be Houston vs. someone with Houston getting demolished by like 50 points in the most boring game ever.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah! I want complete BCS chaos!

[quote name='Halo05']C'mon Arkansas, fuck this thing up even more.

I want the title game to be Houston vs. someone with Houston getting demolished by like 50 points in the most boring game ever.[/QUOTE]

That would just encourage the SEC hillbillies. I would love to see somebody smash an SEC team for the championship, but it looks like that's not going to happen :(

There is no team in the top ten who could beat Alabama or LSU, fact. None of those teams have a defense. A rematch will be another classic old school type game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ich-rodriguez-hired-announcement-made-twitter

Arizona hired Rich Rodriguez as their new coach.

And neither LSU or Alabama is unbeatable. LSU gave up over 500 yards of offense to WVU and may have lost that game if WVU hadn't shot themselves in the foot with 4 turnovers and allowing a kick return TD.

Those are clearly the two best teams, but they both can struggle on offense at times and can easily lose a game if their defense slips up a bit, or they turn the ball over etc. Especially Alabama as their offense really leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyway, I'm just hoping we end up with a bunch of 1 loss teams (including LSU) so it's a real clusterfuck for the BCS and more pressure to move toward a playoff.

Yeah, while they are clearly the best teams saying it's a fact that they are unbeatable is too much.

dmaul, one loss teams won't force a playoff because the voters can compare losses. The multiple undefeated teams scenario makes it more confusing, especially if they won every game they should win convincingly. That makes it more difficult to judge their weaknesses.

Ultimately, I think the SEC as a whole with the occasional exception needs to learn how to step up their game in the offense department and the rest of the country needs to step up on defense. Maybe then we'll see the power across the landscape balance out some.

I agree multiple unbeatens is the most chaotic. But that's obviously moot this year, so multiple 1 loss teams is the next best thing.

Where the pressure comes from is schools that feel they get screwed out of a title shot start pressing for a playoff. It's a way to change presidents and ADs minds on it once their team gets left out.

The more years with a bunch of teams tied at the top (be it unbeaten or 1 loss teams), the more college leaders pressing for a playoff.

That, or a season where everyone has two losses except, I dunno TCU and Houston. BCS Title game is between two teams relatively few people care about. No matter who wins, there will still be the loads of hillbillies crowing about how neither team could have competed against Auburn, etc. and we move closer to an 8 team, single-elimination, playoff schedule.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
And neither LSU or Alabama is unbeatable. LSU gave up over 500 yards of offense to WVU and may have lost that game if WVU hadn't shot themselves in the foot with 4 turnovers and allowing a kick return TD.[/quote]
And you don't think their defense had anything to do with those 4 turnovers... this same defense that has kept them in games all season...

Those are clearly the two best teams, but they both can struggle on offense at times and can easily lose a game if their defense slips up a bit, or they turn the ball over etc. Especially Alabama as their offense really leaves a lot to be desired.
While true about the offense, that Bama defense is very top notch and like LSU keeps them in games all season. They only allow a NCAA best 8.4 pts/game. Arkansas, a very top offense, was held to 14 points. They haven't fallen this season, especially in the second half. This defense will produce plenty of first rounders and make them a tough team to beat.

But that's obviously moot this year, so multiple 1 loss teams is the next best thing.
This year is tough for something like that occuring. It would be a miracle to have a 2 loss team into the championship i.e. what is needed for a team like Houston to complain.

The defense arguably forced 2 of the 4 turnovers. The other two were just sloppy ball security/unforced mistakes.

Still a lot of yardage given up. LSU has a great run D, but I'm not sure the pass D is all that great. Other than WVU they haven't really been up against a top flight passing offense this year. Shame Oklahoma State lost as that would have been an interesting title game match up--suppose it could still happen.

And it's not tough at all for their to be multiple 1 loss teams. Hell their could be 3 in the SEC west if Arkansas beats LSU, Bama wins out and whoever wins the tie breaker beats UGA in the SEC title game. VT could finish with 1 loss. OK State if they win out. Same with Stanford. Boise with 1 loss, Houston maybe unbeaten.

Could still be a real clusterfuck and a lot of bitching from teams like Stanford, VT and OK State if two 1 loss SEC teams get a rematch when they're sitting their with 1 loss as well.

bread's done
Back