Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

What an absolute joke of a title game. I'm sorry, but the SEC isn't the #1 conference in the country. Not once in this game did I feel like I was watching two amazing football teams. Absolutely pathetic.

If you think OSU would've had a chance against Bama or LSU, you're crazy. We've already seen what LSU's D did against everybody earlier in the season. But Bama's D this year is one of the all time greatest. LSU only went past the 50 yard line *once* the whole game, that is saying something.

^Still doesn't change the fact that the probable eventual champion lost to a team at home, then beat that same team on a neutral field and is considered the best team?

[quote name='pimpster4183']If you think OSU would've had a chance against Bama or LSU, you're crazy.[/quote]
Agreed. OK St wouldn't have a chance since they have zero defense. Stanford dropped 500+ yards on them and almost won the bowl. Note Stanford is the 3rd best Pac 12 team (behind Oregon and USC). They also haven't faced a good defense all season; let alone Alabama's #1 in all categories defense. In fact, some of the teams they faced have zero defense like them thus making their offense look THAT much better.

We've already seen what LSU's D did against everybody earlier in the season.
Their offense is the only reason they escape West Virginia, who posted 500+ yards on that defense. Matheiu, the best defensive player in the country, seems to not be able to play in coverage. Thus, passing teams posting tons of yardage against them. Even last night, Alabama threw and made him and the other guys look pedestrian.

But Bama's D this year is one of the all time greatest.
Numbers are great but look at who they played. They only faced one good offense all season i.e. Arkansas. The rest...
Ole Miss - 5th worst offense
Kent St - 7th worst offense
Penn St - 11th worst offense
Tennessee - 14th worst offense
Florida - terrible
Miss St - terrible
North Texas - terrible
Auburn - terrible
Vandy - terrible
Georgia Southern - FCS

Playing this body of work, you really can't claim one of the greatest defense. Great defense? Sure. History? Who knows since they didn't play good offenses.

LSU only went past the 50 yard line *once* the whole game, that is saying something.
LSU gave up. Offensively it was one dimensional. They botched how many snaps without any help from Bama. No trick plays (the Les Way). This was far from the LSU team that fielded offensively during the year.

A nice read about the game...
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...-wetzel_alabama_lsu_bad_bcs_title_game_010912

Yeah, it's pretty clear Alabama is the best team in the country given the dominating performance last night. They should have won the first game, missed field goals kill them in that one.

Still would have been a great year for a four team playoff though with LSU vs. Stanford and Alabama vs. Ok State in the semi finals. But it likely would have been LSU vs. Bama with Bama winning in the title game anyway.

I think OK State vs. Bama (or LSU) would have been a more entertaining game though. Bama/LSU would score more since Ok State's defense sucks, and Ok State would probably put up a couple TDs at least. Maybe more on LSU since their pass defense isn't great (see WVU game).

[quote name='KingBroly']What an absolute joke of a title game. I'm sorry, but the SEC isn't the #1 conference in the country. Not once in this game did I feel like I was watching two amazing football teams. Absolutely pathetic.[/QUOTE]

This argument has no legs whatsoever as the SEC has won the last 6 national championships. Granted if I rooted for a team in another conference I would get sick of the domination too, but that's a ridiculous claim to make. And just for fun, if the SEC isn't the #1 conference in the country, who is?

The Big 12 is is the only conference that could really try to make any kind of argument, but I'd still give the edge to the SEC.

Could change next year though as the Big 12 swaps in WVU and TCU for A&M and Missouri. Big 12 will be brutal if Texas gets back to form and/or RG3 comes back.

Anyway, anyone think the SEC's title winning streak ends next year?

LSU seems to be losing a good bit (QB etc.) but Bama should have a lot back, as do Arkansas and Georgia I think.

But there are some other good teams out there too that bring back a lot. Barkley is back at USC and their bowl ban is over. Landry Jones back at Oklahoma. WVU returns most of their key players. Wisconsin will be tough again with Ball returning.

[quote name='munch']Alabama is losing their entire defense. Like 2 or 3 returning.[/QUOTE]

Yep, but they recruit so well they should still be solid on D, just not dominant.

And they return a good bit on offense don't they?

Edit: I stand corrected about LSU. Just looked through a bunch of early 2012 top 25 lists and they're #1 or 2 on all of them. They bring back more than I thought and have a highly touted transfer coming in at QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I remember hearing that LSU would be bringing a lot back next year and that they would likely be better than they were this year. They've been mentioning that since way earlier in the season.

LSU has, I believe, almost everyone in the front coming back. Claiborne will go to the draft.

They'll have two good QBs (anything has to be an upgrade), almost all of their O-line, and all of their RBs coming back. Scary stuff.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Anyway, anyone think the SEC's title winning streak ends next year?[/quote]
Potentially. USC should be a scary looking team now that they have something to play for. They return lots of players. They get the scariest team in-conference team at home i.e. Oregon. OOC is favorable.

LSU seems to be losing a good bit (QB etc.) but Bama should have a lot back, as do Arkansas and Georgia I think.
Bama actually loses quite a bit. Both WRs and TE (Smelly) are seniors i.e. gone. Richardson should gone. Defense loses Upshaw, Barron, Chatman, Harris, Gentry, Menzie, Watkins, and S. Jones (all seniors). Also in that bunch, Kirkpatrick, Hightower, and potentially Lester all leave early. That covers pretty much every defense player including some backups. Defense is what carried them and they have a complete overhaul. Ed Lacy should keep the run game the way it has been, especially since most of the o-line returns. Their schedule isn't favorable for a young defense. They meet Denard Robinson (who should stay if he wants more money)/Michigan in TX for their first game and then have both Arkansas and LSU on the road.

LSU should return more than Bama has plus they have a way better QB coming in i.e. #2 QB. They should lose some impact on defense. They should still be solid led by the honey badger. The only thing on their schedule that could trip them is @Texas A&M. Schedule is pretty favorable. If the SEC sends a team, it will be these guys.

Looks like WVUs DC and 2 defensive assistant coaches are leaving to join Rich Rod's staff in AZ. Mixed reports on whether they just choose to leave or where forced out by Holgorson (rumors all year of friction between the offensive and defensive coaches).

Can't say I care much. Never a fan of Casteel's bend but don't break 3-3-5 defense, and he's never recruited well.

Rumors of new DC include Brian Stewart who was DC at Houston past two years, and under Wade Phillips with the Cowboys for a couple of years and Deforest--the special teams coach and big recruiter at Oklahoma State. Some talk of them both coming in since we need at least 3 defensive coaches now.

Either or both would be great as they have good recruiting ties in Texas, and with our move to the Big 12 we need to pick up recruiting in Texas and the Midwest. Have to think recruiting in Florida and the mid Atlantic will drop off as kids want to have games near their families.

Some rumblings in the rumor mill about Louisville and Rutgers getting Big 12 invites sometime in the spring.

Not the first time there's been rumblings. When WVU was invited it was widely believed Louisville would be added later. A bit after that there were some rumors of adding Rutgers to get the NYC media market in the conference footprint and to give WVU another eastern travel partner.

I'd love if they just went all out and jumped to 16 with those two plus, UCONN, CINCY and USF, to finish off the Big Least, and someone like BYU. But I don't see it happening. Can't see them expanding to more than 12 anytime soon.

Wow, WVU has offered the DC job to Oklahoma DC Brent Venables. That came out of left field, but I guess he may be unhappy that OU hired Mike Stoops as Co-DC. Still a big long shot IMO, but I like that they're being aggressive.

WVU did hire DeForest from Oklahoma State already, role unspecified currently. If Veneables says no, word is he'll be co-DC with Brian Stewart. If Veneables comes he'll probably coach special teams (or a defensive position) and be recruiting coordinator.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Wow, WVU has offered the DC job to Oklahoma DC Brent Venables. That came out of left field, but I guess he may be unhappy that OU hired Mike Stoops as Co-DC. Still a big long shot IMO, but I like that they're being aggressive.

WVU did hire DeForest from Oklahoma State already, role unspecified currently. If Veneables says no, word is he'll be co-DC with Brian Stewart. If Veneables comes he'll probably coach special teams (or a defensive position) and be recruiting coordinator.[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that Venables is a top notch recruiter (especially Texas) which WVU is going to need.

[quote name='kill3r7']My understanding is that Venables is a top notch recruiter (especially Texas) which WVU is going to need.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

And Deforest from Ok State that we already hired is one of their top recruiters and has great ties in the Houston area.

If we don't get Veneables, Brian Stewart is also a Texas guy, having just coached at Houston and coached for the Cowboys a few years back etc.

Looks like WVU is out of the running for Veneables as expected. Turned down a $600K offer. Looks like he's either staying at OU or going to Clemson who fired their DC after WVU hung 70 on them. :lol:

Joe DeForest from OSU has officially been hired. Still no title, but he's expected to coach special teams and either be Co-DC with whoever they hire (Brian Stewart is still the hot name) or associate head coach. Signed a 3 year deal worth $500k a year.

Wow. Just saw that Oregon QB Darron Thomas is skipping his senior year to go to the NFL. Crazy. From what I've read he'll be a 5-7th round pick if he gets drafted at all.

USC's path to the BCS title game just got that much more likely. Stanford and Oregon will be way down next year, so the Pac 12 is theirs to lose.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Wow. Just saw that Oregon QB Darron Thomas is skipping his senior year to go to the NFL. Crazy. From what I've read he'll be a 5-7th round pick if he gets drafted at all.

USC's path to the BCS title game just got that much more likely. Stanford and Oregon will be way down next year, so the Pac 12 is theirs to lose.[/QUOTE]
Yeah dumb move by him. He won't get drafted. As for Oregon, they have a good guy behind him so they shouldn't see a huge dropoff.

The guy behind Darron is much more athletic and the guy behind LaMichael is pretty damn good. Both of them showed some great ability when they played this year.

I think Oregon could possibly be better next year.

You're probably right about Stanford though.

[quote name='blindinglights']The guy behind Darron is much more athletic and the guy behind LaMichael is pretty damn good. Both of them showed some great ability when they played this year.

I think Oregon could possibly be better next year.

You're probably right about Stanford though.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so. Hard to replace experience though. Don't see a lot of first year starting QBs winning conferences.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Maybe so. Hard to replace experience though. Don't see a lot of first year starting QBs winning conferences.[/QUOTE]

They might not win the conference, but I definitely don't think they will be "way down".

I'd be surprised if they do worse than 10-2 next year. Their schedule is soft and the only potentially hard games will be Southern Cal and Washington (Keith Price is going to go into beast mode next year, it just depends on whether the Huskies can learn2defense). Arkansas State, Fresno State, Tennessee Tech, Wazzou, Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon State, Stanford, Cal... I don't see them losing to more than two teams (USC might beat them twice).

New starters or not, Chip Kelly will still make them run the offense at his preferred pace of ludicrous speed which will give them the instant advantage in most of their games. Plus you have to remember that they are a rush first offense. It's easy to forget since you see lots of points and immediately think air raid, but they rushed for over 1,000 more yards than they passed for this season.

Dang, looks like Brian Stewart is going to be DC at Maryland, so scratch him off WVU's list.

Randy Shannon is the big name still in the mix apparently. But I just don't see it. Figure we'll end up with another D-coach with no DC experience and end up being Co-DC with DeForest.

I'm still really conflicted on seeing the coverage of the people going to his statue, doing little impromptu memorials and the like.

I realize that in addition to leading Penn State to the highest of heights in terms of football performance, he was a guiding light for many of his players and helped mold them into, by and large, good human beings.

At the same time, he helped cost an unknown number of children their innocence as he failed to pursue the allegations posed to him regarding Sandusky.

In the end, I don't really think that the public outpouring of grief is appropriate. Not while the case is still up in the air. I was equally disturbed by the Penn State game immediately after his firing as everyone in Happy Valley seemed to not really give a shit about a bunch of raped kids.

I hate the idea of drawn out conference realignment. I wish they would just get it all over with and start the 2012 season with everyone in their new homes.

Me too. Or at least by 2013.

Navy is a special case though, from being independent they have lots of games contracted they'd have to buy out, deals with bowls that would have to be bought out etc. that's keeping them from joining in 2013 with the other new Big East teams.

Reports are WVU and the Big East are close to a settlement in their law suits that should free up WVU to go to the Big 12 this summer.

[quote name='blindinglights']ESPN reporting that Greg Schiano is close to becoming the head coach for Tampa Bay.[/QUOTE]

He's is indeed going to coach the bucs nothing final but all signs point to him being the bucs head coach.

Edit: It was confirmed by some fellow alums that this is absolutely legit and that he's leaving.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blindinglights']ESPN reporting that Greg Schiano is close to becoming the head coach for Tampa Bay.[/QUOTE]

:whistle2:s :whistle2:k :whistle2:? :shock: :???: :whee:

Alright, I know he somewhat turned around Rutgers for a few seasons. However, you go from Chip Kelly to this??!? What about Marty Schottenheimer? That guy who coaches Montreal in the CFL? Brian Billick? Carmichael? Jim Tressel?

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt, though I think he is trying to parlay this into a future big time CFB job.

I think Schiano will do well.

Can't blame him for leaving. With auto bids to major bowls likely going away after 2013 when the current BCS contract expires, it will be very hard for any Big East teams to make the major bowls. Especially if they just go back to letting bowls take whoever they want rather than basing it on the BCS poll standings (and just taking the top 12 or whatever).

[quote name='kill3r7']He's is indeed going to coach the bucs nothing final but all signs point to him being the bucs head coach.

Edit: It was confirmed by some fellow alums that this is absolutely legit and that he's leaving.[/QUOTE]

Quick turnaround from your grasping at straws post :whistle2:k.

What made you think it was BS at first?

[quote name='blindinglights']Quick turnaround from your grasping at straws post :whistle2:k.

What made you think it was BS at first?[/QUOTE]

I'm an RU Alum and season ticket holder. I love what Schiano has done at Rutgers but there is no way anyone saw the NFL in his future. We thought he might leave for PSU in about 5 years but that's it. He essentially had a lifetime K at RU. Not many people abandon such a cushy position to go to the NFL. He is an incredible recruiter, disciplinarian and a great father figure. All things that do not matter in the NFL. His greatest asset as an NFL coach would be as a DC, where his various defensive schemes would shine.

Also, there was a recruting meeting yesterday morning at Don Bosco Prep which the coaches attended (minus Schiano) with the states two top recruits. So given this info I thought there was no way he would be leaving.

Called up a couple of my buddies who are in the know and they confirmed your statement. Hence my edit.

bread's done
Back