Official (2015-2016) College Football Thread OSU#1

Just saw that the ACC now has a $50 million dollar buyout for teams to leave, effective immediately. So yeah, no ACC teams are leaving anytime soon.

I think the Big 12 stays at 10 for the reason I noted in the quoted post. They aren't going to add teams that don't bring a big enough media market to get the TV deal upped. They aren't going to divide the pie more ways if that means current teams get less than the $20 million per year they make now.

So if they want to go to 12 to have a championship game again, they have to find two teams to add that will bring in at least $40 million a year extra between them and money from the title game. I'm not sure Louisville plus another Big East team or someone like BYU bring enough to get the deal upped that much. Really needed a home run like FSU & Clemson for that to happen.

Personally, I like staying at 10. I like the round robin schedule, like that WVU gets to play Texas and Oklahoma every year after suffering through boring ass big east schedules from 2004 through last season etc.

I'd think so too. Though they were adamant today that they were staying at 15 for basketball. Probably just typical expansion double talk though.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd think so too. Though they were adamant today that they were staying at 15 for basketball. Probably just typical expansion double talk though.[/QUOTE]

If they pick up UConn they are setting going forward, especially because they are holding out hope the Domers will join them for football down the road.

Either way, the ACC has finally killed off the Big East. It took them a decade but they did it.

I don't think it changes the Big East much from the state they were in with the defections of WVU, Pitt and Syracuse.

It will still be a very strong basketball league--look for them to grab someone like Xavier to replace ND in basketball and not miss a beat.

Football was already a joke, and ND wasn't even a partial member, so there no more a joke on that front. Though losing ND in bowl agreements will hurt on that front. But the BE was done as a major football conference as soon as WVU left and TCU decided not to join.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think it changes the Big East much from the state they were in with the defections of WVU, Pitt and Syracuse.

It will still be a very strong basketball league--look for them to grab someone like Xavier to replace ND in basketball and not miss a beat.

Football was already a joke, and ND wasn't even a partial member, so there no more a joke on that front. Though losing ND in bowl agreements will hurt on that front. But the BE was done as a major football conference as soon as WVU left and TCU decided not to join.[/QUOTE]

The Big East was done the day Miami and VTech left along with BC but you are right that not much has changed since WVU left.

That weakened it, but it still ended up stronger in conference RPI than the ACC some years. Mainly WVU carrying the league (3 BCS bowl wins post first ACC raid), but Louisville was a top 10 team for a couple years before Petrino bolted. Cincy had those back to back BCS years, including the one undefeated regular season as well.

But with WVU gone, and Pitt and Cuse as well (programs with a lot of history, despite being down recently) the league was finished as a legit BCS level football conference.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
[/QUOTE]
I disagree. To me, they go from #1 to #3 (behind Big 10). ACC easily is #1 in Basketball when Syracuse/Pitt/Notre Dame come on. 3 teams that would be in the Top 5 each year (Syracuse,Duke,UNC). Ridiculous.

My work...
Syracuse, the meal ticket, gone.
Notre Dame typically is in the thick of it.
Calhoun retired so UConn is questionable.
All that is left is Louisville, Marquette, and Georgetown. These three aren't as good as Mich St, Ohio St, Indiana, and Michigan.

Sorry for going a little off topic

I didn't say they'd still be the top league, just a very strong basketball league. Which you agreed with by putting them third. Also don't forget Villanova. St Johns will likely do well with Lavin there. Memphis is coming in, as is Temple. And they'll get someone like Xavier to replace ND.

Still a strong league. But I'd agree with your league rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114']That weakened it, but it still ended up stronger in conference RPI than the ACC some years. Mainly WVU carrying the league (3 BCS bowl wins post first ACC raid), but Louisville was a top 10 team for a couple years before Petrino bolted. Cincy had those back to back BCS years, including the one undefeated regular season as well.

But with WVU gone, and Pitt and Cuse as well (programs with a lot of history, despite being down recently) the league was finished as a legit BCS level football conference.[/QUOTE]

I am well aware of the numbers but once those 3 schools walked out the door no one took us seriously. Perception is everything and ESPN has been trashing the Big East for a long time. Being Cinderella is cool and all, but you never get to go to the "big bowl". WVU IMO is as good as any top teams in the country. I wish them all the best in the BIG12 and I think they'll surprise a lot of people.

Now with respect to BBall, what's left of the Big East is not that good. Outside of UConn, Lville, GTown and Nova the rest of the league leaves a lot to be desired. I guess Marquette is decent enough, they remind me of Pitt from the early 00's but that's about it.

The ACC won't go after UCONN or anyone else until ND becomes a full football member as it would just make uneven divisions. Not to mention the addition of ND and the new $50 million exit fee makes the conference incredibly stable. There's no reason to throw a wrench into it until ND becomes a full member and they need another team to even the divisions.

Also, despite whatever homer b.s. Mike Golic and the other Irish faithful want to spread, that "Notre Dame will never give up its independence" crap won't stay true forever. They might want to fight it to the end but they're slowly giving in with the 5 game guaranteed scheduling arrangement. When the BCS contract ends and we get a better idea of how playoff teams are selected, I wouldn't be surprised if ND becomes a full member and joins ACC football.

Personally, the thing about this that irritates me is that ND gets dibs on ACC bowl slots if they are eligible yet they aren't a league team. I think that's unfair to the other schools considering - if I understand correctly - there are certain circumstances that ND could get a bowl over a team with a better record.

Yep. The thing was they had to be within 1 win of an ACC team to take the bowl slot, so they can indeed have a worse record and steal a slot.

They had a similar deal with the Big East. Sucked and screwed WVU out of the Gator Bowl a time or two in the past. So I'm very glad they went to the ACC and not the Big 12. The Big 12 doesn't need ND to get good bowls as they have plenty of big time teams already. The Big East needed them as they really only had Miami in the past (before VT and WVU rose) and especially after Miami and VT left. The ACC needs them to some degree as they've been weak in football, and a lot of there team's fans have been bad about not traveling to bowl games which has got them a lot of flack.

But it still sucks when a partial member can still bowl slots from teams with better records.

I'm kind of curious if there's any behind the scenes arrangement or understanding that prevents Notre Dame from having to play all of the less competitive football schools in the same year. For example, I can't imagine they would be too happy if their 5 game schedule for a year was: Duke, Wake Forrest, Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia. Certain 5 game combinations would definitely hurt their strength of schedule, especially when those teams are having years that are even worse than usual.

[quote name='blindinglights']I'm kind of curious if there's any behind the scenes arrangement or understanding that prevents Notre Dame from having to play all of the less competitive football schools in the same year. For example, I can't imagine they would be too happy if their 5 game schedule for a year was: Duke, Wake Forrest, Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia. Certain 5 game combinations would definitely hurt their strength of schedule, especially when those teams are having years that are even worse than usual.[/QUOTE]

I'm not certain but I was under the impression that ND's bowl elegibility (even for BCS) was based on number of wins not quality of wins. So I don't think they'll have a problem with that schedule. Afterall, the last few years they have played Navy, Syracuse, Pitt, BC, WF, MD and Air Force. Not exactly what I would call a killer schedule.

A weak schedule would still hurt them in terms of at large BCS bids and selection into the 4 team playoff starting in 2014 since schedule strength is a factor the selection committee will consider.

ESPN is blowing this Tennessee/Florida game way out of proportion.

Tennessee is BACK!
Because they beat a NC State team that had a hard time beating UCONN.
And they're taking on FLORIDA.
A team that's been down since Tebow left and narrowly beat Texas A&M last week and struggled with Bowling Green the week before.
The battle between these teams used to decide the SEC East race and one of these teams would be putting their hat into the National Championship race!
Used to.

It's just a boring early season week without any big games since Arkansas shit the bed last week and ruined the one anticipated game this week. So they have to find something to hype. :D

Stanford-USC is the only other match up of ranked teams, and with the east coast bias in sports coverage they aren't going to hype that one over the SEC matchup.

Oops, forgot about Mich St-ND until they just started talking about it on College Gameday. Surprised they haven't hyped that more.

Matt Barkley and the rest of the USC seniors are 0-3 against Stanford, so it will be a meaningful game for us to get a win today.

Fight On :wave:

[quote name='Viol8tor']Matt Barkley and the rest of the USC seniors are 0-3 against Stanford, so it will be a meaningful game for us to get a win today.

Fight On :wave:[/QUOTE]

0-4.

4th and 40 is about all that needs to be written about that last drive.

Well that was fun while it lasted. All they can do now is win the Pac-12, see what happens from there.

Barkley got man handled all game long, O line was disgusting. Cant believe the loss of Khaled Holmes was that drastic.

WVU did what they needed to against James Madison, dominate early so they could rest people. And still got Geno Smith his Heisman stats with 411 yards and 5 TDs on 34-39 passing. Has 9 TDs and 9 incompletions through 2 games.

With USC's loss, and Barkley's struggles, WVU will move up a spot and Smith will be on top the Heisman watch lists.

Forgive me for not following much college football, but are the defenses honestly as atrocious as the scores would suggest? There's got to be some reason why teams can run up the score to 50+ points over and over that extends beyond "oh, they're just a good team".

[quote name='JJSP']Forgive me for not following much college football, but are the defenses honestly as atrocious as the scores would suggest? There's got to be some reason why teams can run up the score to 50+ points over and over that extends beyond "oh, they're just a good team".[/QUOTE]

That mostly happens the first couple weeks of the season when a lot of teams have scheduled cupcake opponents. Once conference games begin, competition is more prevalent.

I've been a regular CAG user for a while now and never noticed this thread. Nice to find a place here for college football fans, I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. As a born and bred Michigan fan transplanted to the heart of the SEC, I can't help but love the college game. I've always loved the community aspect of CAG and look forward to checking in during the season.

UL Monroe shows up in another exciting finish and that just-short-comeback by UNC was pretty crazy too. A couple of actual upsets today with USC and VT both going down. USC just didn't seem to have an answer for the Stanford ground game and defensive pressure. I didn't get to see any of the VT game but Pitt, what happened there?

Speaking of not having an answer, the Notre Dame vs MSU game sure wasn't much of a contest. I'm hoping/worried that next week my Wolverines will show their true level of potential. I'm glad we beat UMass by 50 and all but I was hoping that this might be the one game this season where Robinson wouldn't throw an INT...but a pick 6, c'mon!#-o

[quote name='JJSP']Forgive me for not following much college football, but are the defenses honestly as atrocious as the scores would suggest? There's got to be some reason why teams can run up the score to 50+ points over and over that extends beyond "oh, they're just a good team".[/QUOTE]

As noted above, a lot of early season games are tune ups against smaller conference and lower division teams.

But also, the types of offense are very different than in the pro. Lots of teams run hurry up, spread offenses and through the ball a ton. So that leads to having a lot more plays per game, more yardage and points from throwing more etc.

That's particularly true of some Big 12 and Pac 12 teams. A lot of the Big 10 and SEC teams run more typical pro style offense, and you get more lower scoring, defense dominated games in those leagues once they start playing each other and not patsies. ACC is a mix of pro style offense teams and spread teams, but leans more toward the former I think.

In any case, the offense is one of many reasons I like college football more than the NFL. I don't like lower scoring, defense dominated football at all. I prefer shootouts.

Wow, I was really impressed with the Irish defense. I know Michigan State's offense in not that great but I haven't seen the Irish have that great of a pass rush for years!

Glad to see Stanford beat USC. Love to see those a-holes get put in their place.

Some good games coming up this weekend.

• Mizzou and Michigan need to have good games against S.Carolina and Notre Dame if they want to stay on the current National radar.
  • How will the K-State/Oklahoma game shake out and how will USC respond after last week in their game against California.
  • I'm also interested in the FSU vs Clemson matchup.
Anyone else have other games of note this weekend?

Boise St-BYU tonight and Oregon-Arizona Saturday are the only two other semi-notable matchups.

WVU-Maryland is always a big game for me since I grew up a huge WVU fan and did my undergrad there, and did my grad school at UMD. But that shouldn't be much of game as UMD is pretty terrible. Still a bit more of a test for WVU's offense than the first two patsies though as they have a decent defense.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I despise ND, but Brian Kelly is a great coach and has them moving in the right direction for sure.[/QUOTE]

That's understandable, I know Notre Dame is basically the Yankees off college football. Either you love em' or you hate em'. This is the week we find out if Kansas State is a contender or pretender. Bill Snyder has done very well in the Big 12 but "big game" Bob Stoops has his number. If K-State can pressure Landry Jones they have a chance. That dude seems to pull a Cutler and completely fold when things start to go wrong.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Boise St-BYU tonight and Oregon-Arizona Saturday are the only two other semi-notable matchups...[/QUOTE]
I had forgotten that the BSU vs BYU game was this weekend, you're right that could get interesting. We'll see if Arizona can hold up under the relentess nature of Oregon, another one to keep an eye on.
[quote name='Chitown021']That's understandable, I know Notre Dame is basically the Yankees off college football. Either you love em' or you hate em'. This is the week we find out if Kansas State is a contender or pretender. Bill Snyder has done very well in the Big 12 but "big game" Bob Stoops has his number. If K-State can pressure Landry Jones they have a chance. That dude seems to pull a Cutler and completely fold when things start to go wrong.[/QUOTE]
I am very worried about my Wolverines trying to withstand the defensive pressure of N.Dame if it's anything like what they brought to MSU last week. Like you, I feel that if K-St. can get some pressure on OK's QB they've got a shot.

[quote name='chuckie88']

I am very worried about my Wolverines trying to withstand the defensive pressure of N.Dame if it's anything like what they brought to MSU last week. Like you, I feel that if K-St. can get some pressure on OK's QB they've got a shot.[/QUOTE]

We owe you guys for that miracle comeback win last year. That game was such an emotional rollercoaster. First we were dead, then we score late and it looked like we'd win, then Michigan rips our hearts out with a last second touchdown.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Glad I decided to play games instead of watch the 7-6 snooze fest last night.[/QUOTE]
That was NOT a game for offense, who would have thought that Boise St. would win with only one touchdown...
A touchdown scored by a NOSE TACKLE!

[quote name='Chitown021']We owe you guys for that miracle comeback win last year. That game was such an emotional rollercoaster. First we were dead, then we score late and it looked like we'd win, then Michigan rips our hearts out with a last second touchdown.[/QUOTE]
ND at UofM 2011 was INSANE, no question one of the most exciting games I've seen. Watching that 4th quarter was a heart attack waiting to happen (28 of 35 Michigan points!). I really thought that the Wolverines were going to try a field goal to force overtime but instead a TD with 2 seconds left, just IN-SANE! I really hope both teams play well tomorrow in a close contest. It would great for both school's programs and gain some national attention.

Need to watch the WVU game since I missed it for a music festival but DVR'd it. Looks like they didn't play all that well since they only beat UMD 31-21. At least Geno Smith got decent numbers to stay at the top of the Heisman watch lists most likely, with 338 yards and 3 TDs. Big game for Tavon Auston with 13 catches for 179 yards and the 3 TDs.

Looks like Oklahoma is overrated again. Big 12 title looks to be between KSU, Texas and WVU. WVU plays at Texas in 2 weeks, and gets KSU at home on Oct. 20th.

If I was a WVU fan, I wouldn't sleep on Oklahoma. Kansas St has shown up this year; in other words, not a bad team. Oklahoma still kept it close enough to win. WVU has given up big yards to some bad teams. Again, I wouldn't write them off.

-------------------------------
FSU silenced the critics last night and gave the world a entertaining game.

[quote name='Chitown021']...If K-State can pressure Landry Jones they have a chance...[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what happened. Once Jones was rattled it was all K-State.
[quote name='dmaul1114']...Big 12 title looks to be between KSU, Texas and WVU. WVU plays at Texas in 2 weeks, and gets KSU at home on Oct. 20th.[/QUOTE]
Assuming WVU beats Baylor to finish September undefeated, the game with Texas could go a long way to deciding the Big 12 race. Great game through the air this week for the Mountaineers but not much happened for them on the ground. If they can establish some kind of ground game it will really help against tougher foes like Texas/K-State.

Oregon crushed Arizona, so much for the "offensive shoot-out" some were expecting. FSU looked scary good against Clemson, especially in that second half. The 'Noles were an absolute monster, just flying all over the place on both sides of the ball. After LSU barely got by Auburn, I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon/FSU/both jumped them in the rankings. Georgia should round out the top five with S.Carolina and West Virginia behind them.

As for the ND at UofM game...I really don't know what to say. The first half could very well have been the worst half of college football I've ever watched on television. ND's defense followed the blueprint created by Alabama to deal with Robinson. They forced him to become a pocket passer which he is obviously incapable of being. Ugly doesn't begin to describe how awful Michigan's turnovers were. :bomb:

The Wolverines literally threw 5 straight interceptions! Robinson threw the ball 4 times in the second quarter, every single one was an interception. By all accounts he's a super nice guy but he/UofM in no way deserved to win that game. It was unfathomable that with 2 minutes to play they still had any chance for the win after a half dozen turnovers. Michigan came up empty from the ND 8 yrd line and 10 yrd line twice!
:fridge:

[quote name='lordopus99']If I was a WVU fan, I wouldn't sleep on Oklahoma. Kansas St has shown up this year; in other words, not a bad team. Oklahoma still kept it close enough to win. WVU has given up big yards to some bad teams. Again, I wouldn't write them off.
[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm not writing anyone off. I think WVU probably loses at least 2 games as our defense is terrible. OU isn't great and we get them in Morgantown so I've always liked our chances at that one.

At Texas was always the biggest worry for me, along with some other road games like Oklahoma State etc. Long way to travel, bigger stadiums and crowds than what the team was used to for road games in the Big East (though they did play at LSU and Auburn over the past few years) etc.

But we have a tendency to have a head scratching loss or two each year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us get upset at Texas Tech or Iowa State or something.

So, Louisville should easily be able to run the table with their schedule (maybe not Rutgers), but through four games I am not confident about any of the remaining games...

Stanford got upset by Washington last night.

Another semi-lackluster week of games this Saturday though.

Notable games (first two are only matchups of AP top 25 teams):

Baylor @ WVU
Ohio St @ Mich St
FSU @ USF (should be a blow out, but USF tends to play great one big game a year)
Tenn. @ UGA

Yeah, not much going on this weekend. A few weeks back I would have thought that the Wisconsin at Nebraska matchup would have also been at an AP top 25 game but that is no longer the case. Texas at Ok. St. could have fallen into that camp as well.

35-35 at the half.

Game is going to give me an ulcer, but damn fun to watch.

Geno Smith's first half stats are ridiculous. 26/28 for 288 and 4 TDs.

^Geno Smith is on fire! :shock: This W.V. air attack is just CRAZY!

If the Longhorns take care of business today, next week's matchup could be something to keep an eye on.

What a fucking insane game. 70-63 final. 1,507 yards of total offense.

Heisman is Geno Smith's to lose at this point, already 1st in the polls before today's amazing performance.

Today's stats 45/51, 656 yds, 8 tds, 0 ints.

On the year: 141/168, 1,728 yds, 20 tds, 0 ints.

Can't wait for the Texas game next week. Toughest on the schedule (though plenty other hard ones remaining). Will be interesting to see how their D and ball control running offense fair in slowing WVU down.

WVU's defense is awful, but Baylor is best offense on the schedule (maybe Ok State if they improve), so rest of the way is matter of whether opponents can slow us down enough to win.

bread's done
Back