Official CAG Car Thread: Best Car Value under 15k?

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Hello fellow CAGS

I just wanted some input/ suggestions. I have about 50 K in school loans, and my car is slowly dying now that it's reaching 180,000 miles.

I need to buy a new car, and will probably take out some loans. Do you all have any good suggestions for a good, reliable car. I was hoping to get it for under 15K. however, that is just a ballpark range.

Thoughts?

Toyota puts out trustworthy cars. I'd place Nissan right below them.

For 15K and under, I'd find a good Camry.

You can get a good car for that especially if you go the slightly used route. Sometimes you can get a good used car with some of the warranty left on it as well.

As for an actual suggestion I'll say that until recently my company car was a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. Never having particularly wanted a Hyundai I was skeptical but it turned out to be a great car. It wasn't stylish by any means but I put probably about 21,000 miles on it in just over a year and didn't have a single mechanical issue. Granted I did only use it for a year, but I drove the crap out of it and as far as know the guy that has it now in my company hasn't had an issue. Also I know they offer a 5 yr/ 60,000mile warranty so your odds on still having warranty coverage is good.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']You can get a good car for that especially if you go the slightly used route. Sometimes you can get a good used car with some of the warranty left on it as well.

As for an actual suggestion I'll say that until recently my company car was a 2010 Hyundai Sonata. Never having particularly wanted a Hyundai I was skeptical but it turned out to be a great car. It wasn't stylish by any means but I put probably about 21,000 miles on it in just over a year and didn't have a single mechanical issue. Granted I did only use it for a year, but I drove the crap out of it and as far as know the guy that has it now in my company hasn't had an issue. Also I know they offer a 5 yr/ 60,000mile warranty so your odds on still having warranty coverage is good.[/QUOTE]

Those are fine as long as you have warranty, but once you have to fix it out of pocket they will get expensive. Always go with Honda/Toyota since their parts are everywhere and if there is a problem it won't cost too much to fix.

355mu6.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

If your not buying hybrid or electric your out
you can get a 05-06 prius for under 10k because mines worth alot less than that lol

Bought a used 2003 Ford Escape 3 years ago. Other than replacing the starter shortly afterward and spark plugs, cant really complain about it.

If you're looking for newish (last 5 years) cars, you should consider buying a Ford or GM. Foreign car makers definitely had the game for a long time, even as far up as 5 to 10 years ago. But American car makers have REALLY stepped up their game and started making quality cars. And the advantage to an American car (at least in my experience) is that parts are usually cheaper than foreign cars like Nissan or Toyota.

I know my cousin recently got a 2008 (2007?) Ford Focus for pretty cheap, and it's a quality car. Nice interior, not a horrible design, and quite dependable.

But whatever you do, don't get sucked into buying a Kia. I have 10 friends that could tell you from experience that they're just crap cars. They're useful until the warranty is over, and that's it.

[quote name='ZForce']You can always go with a Honda Civic. I bought mine (2002 model bought in 2005) for about 11k.[/QUOTE]

+1. You can find some 08 and 09's used for 13k or so. They get great mileage.

[quote name='Chase']Toyota puts out trustworthy cars. I'd place Nissan right below them.

For 15K and under, I'd find a good Camry.[/QUOTE]

When I was still living at home, my father got a Corolla mostly to save a bunch on gas for his work commute but it ended up being used on a regular basis. IIRC the annual maintenance costs were less than half that of our other vehicles, and it got crazy good gas mileage. If you don't mind sacrificing power and style, you couldn't get much more value.

One of my co-workers went down this same situation a few months ago.

They ended up with a Honda Fit and have been enjoying it from day 1.

under $15k?

Get a lease return Benz that's about 6-7 years old. They last forever, you won't feel like a dink driving a car that has less balls than a lawn mower and there's nothing like shagging in a Benz...

Just did a quick search on a local car deal (Carsoup.com if it's in your region) for MBs under $20k within 10 miles and found 39 of them, most being 06 and 07 models with ~ 50-60k miles.

http://www.carsoup.com/details/used...pcCUyYzQlM2FTdW1tYXJ5WmlwJnppcGNvZGU9NTU0NDE~

Seriously, that or a Civic? It's not even a question!

Just bought a used 2009 Honda Fit. Great car. Fits a lot in the back. The seats lay flat. Great gas mileage. Enough room for a giant car seat too.

It really depends on that brand that you like... Each company has a car under 15K (that is if we are talking new cars).

[quote name='nasum']under $15k?

Get a lease return Benz that's about 6-7 years old. They last forever, you won't feel like a dink driving a car that has less balls than a lawn mower and there's nothing like shagging in a Benz...

Just did a quick search on a local car deal (Carsoup.com if it's in your region) for MBs under $20k within 10 miles and found 39 of them, most being 06 and 07 models with ~ 50-60k miles.

http://www.carsoup.com/details/used...pcCUyYzQlM2FTdW1tYXJ5WmlwJnppcGNvZGU9NTU0NDE~

Seriously, that or a Civic? It's not even a question![/QUOTE]

...and he'll pay out the ass for maintenance every 5k, not to mention if anything goes wrong. Upkeep on a Benz is NOT cheap.

I vote Subaru. I haven't had any issue with mine in the past five years I've owned it. It's pretty stylish, has some power and all wheel drive.

[quote name='gcrack']Just bought a used 2009 Honda Fit. Great car. Fits a lot in the back. The seats lay flat. Great gas mileage. Enough room for a giant car seat too.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I have a 2007 Fit and man I wish I took pics and documented all the shit I've fit into this thing. Basically all furniture from IKEA including a couch. Not even kidding. I love my fit. Low maintenance, I only change oil every 5,000 miles although with full synthetic. I get 30-35mpg every fill up and it's compact enough to not have problems parking in most places. Seriously great car.

2006 Scion XB. Its ugly as sin and gets 30+ mpg. Bought mine new for about 17K. They changed the car in 2007 (bigger engine, wider wheel base, larger tires, MPG dropped to 24ish). Have had no problems and is made by Toyota.

I have 2008 Mazda 3 that I bought new in late 2007. Haven't had a single mechanical issue with it. There was a recall on the power steering a couple years back, so they replaced that for free--but I didn't have any issues with it.

I have pretty low mileage though since I've only had a 3 mile work commute the past 3 years. Just a little over 22k miles.

[quote name='gr8asianman']I vote Subaru. I haven't had any issue with mine in the past five years I've owned it. It's pretty stylish, has some power and all wheel drive.[/QUOTE]

My parents had great luck with Subarus. My first new car was a 1999 Impreza, it was great for a while, but the transmission started going out in late 2007 at around 80k miles. Just bad luck I guess. Repair was around the current value of the car (probably above it since I had some body damage) so I just traded it in toward the Mazda 3.

[quote name='gr8asianman']I vote Subaru. I haven't had any issue with mine in the past five years I've owned it. It's pretty stylish, has some power and all wheel drive.[/QUOTE]

OP wants a *new* car. No way will he find a new Subaru for ballpark $15k, they're pricey for what you get. Last time I was car shopping, I looked closely enough at them to know they weren't for me (I was also a ballpark $15k buyer).

In addition to the relatively high sticker price, another knock on Subaru is that, in general, their MPG performance is rather poor. Not just because many of their models are 4x4, but relative to the sticker MPG. So it's a pricey ride in that regard, too. Subaru is definitely not the way to go if economy is a concern as it is for the OP.

Hyundai
I bought a new Hyundai a few years ago for $14k and change, and it's not a tiny car by any means (wagon). Gets right at 30 MPG in mixed use. And this is the second of that model I've bought, the other was a hatchback from 10 years ago for $13k (which I'm still using).

They're good economy cars, I really don't have many complaints other than the 10 year old one seems designed to give out around 100-120k. But then all new cars are like that regardless of automaker, they just don't design them to last. The first Hyundai I got had a really aggressive warranty, and Hyundai pared that back and increased the sticker price slightly as the brand became more popular in the USA.

Kia
Kia's also been aggressive in their pricing recently, and I test drove a Soul a few times. I didn't like them. The interiors felt especially cheap. I have a neighbor who's had good experiences with their Rondo, but I think the Rondo is more of an $18-21k vehicle (not sure). Again, even though the Rondo is a good family mobile, when you're sitting in the car, any piece of the interior feels like it might break off in your hand. The plastics are rigid, and the doors feel a little flimsy.

However, a lot of people like the Soul, and if you're one of them, you may not mind the interior. If I recall, Kia has a good warranty, too. It's a weird looking ride, fun in some ways. I wanted a manual, and that was another knock on the Soul, the manual didn't have the same "feel" as the automatic.

Ford
Another good ballpark $15k car is the Ford Fiesta/Focus (or whatever the name is of their economy compact/mid-sedan). They get great MPG and for a while they were turning up in a lot of "Best Value" lists. I drove one and didn't mind it at all, my objection was that the interior felt really cramped for what I wanted (an honest 4-passenger economy car). I think I was looking at the Fiesta, it's the one that is a direct Honda Fit competitor. This might be a really good candidate if you like the look and if Ford's still getting high value ratings on this car.

EDIT:
I realize I left out the big two, Toyota and Honda. I have a personal preference for Toyota, I'm an incredible cheapskate and the late 80s Toyota Corollas are probably my favorite cheap rides of all time, they get amazing MPG and last forever and I love the goofy, somewhat boxy look. My parents racked up a total of 420k without issue on two Corollas that they bought in '87 and '89. Love those cars. I've heard similar stories about the late 80s Honda Civics.

But both Toyota and Honda are relatively expensive in the sub $20k market, because they can really sell that brand. And they've increased the size on the famous models to sell the model name, too. So the cheap rides fall under a different model, and to be honest, they don't stand up to competitors. The Toyota Yaris was what I briefly looked at, and it was rickety and yet still $1k or so more than its competitors. It was too small, anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='keithp']...and he'll pay out the ass for maintenance every 5k, not to mention if anything goes wrong. Upkeep on a Benz is NOT cheap.[/QUOTE]

Change your own oil? It's not that hard, I did it for years before I joined a service club at a local dealer. Now I get my oil changed, tires rotated and a couple of other things for free as long as I bring it into them for regularly scheduled maintenance.

MB service is spendy if you go to MB dealerships. Otherwise, with bare minimum DIY maintenance I kept mine for 7 years without an issue. The only big repair I had to do was replacing the front passenger tie-rods because Minnesota is pothole heaven. Dealer price was $700 or so, did it in the garage with the spare tire lift and only one special tool purchased. Parts were less than $400 and it took me maybe 5 hours over a weekend to do.

Body work on the other hand is brutal. But that's fairly universal.

So you're in Minnesota and you're talking about "shagging" in a Benz? If you're not a limey, you should know that I've alerted the authorities to the presence of a possible anglophile.

Consider the warning a courtesy to a fellow CAG. Leave the country while there's time.

And I think that as general policy goes, it's never a good idea to buy and maintain champagne autos on beer money. It's only anecdotal, but I know 4 people who've tried it and failed to 1 who's had a good experience. And the one with the good experience is an amateur mechanic with access to a full garage.

Got a Nissan Cube last year, it's been pretty good to us so far. Also have a 2004 Matrix with about 160k miles on it, so I would thoroughly recommend that too. Gas mileage is 30-35 highway for the matrix, around 30 for the Cube.

[quote name='soulvengeance']Got a Nissan Cube last year, it's been pretty good to us so far. Also have a 2004 Matrix with about 160k miles on it, so I would thoroughly recommend that too. Gas mileage is 30-35 highway for the matrix, around 30 for the Cube.[/QUOTE]

I will throw my vote for the Cube as well. I bought a 2009 Nissan Cube new and still love it. The automatics use something called Continuously Variable Transmission. I heard that it was pretty new in the 2009 models, and well my trans died at only 24,000 miles. Thankfully everything is under warranty up til 36,000. so now I have a car with a brand new transmission and only 28,000 miles on it over 3.5 years.

It may have been a fluke, but I still give a heads up to anyone looking at a 2009 Cube. I hear none of the newer model years have had that issue.

[quote name='dothog']OP wants a *new* car. No way will he find a new Subaru for ballpark $15k, they're pricey for what you get. Last time I was car shopping, I looked closely enough at them to know they weren't for me (I was also a ballpark $15k buyer).

In addition to the relatively high sticker price, another knock on Subaru is that, in general, their MPG performance is rather poor. Not just because many of their models are 4x4, but relative to the sticker MPG. So it's a pricey ride in that regard, too. Subaru is definitely not the way to go if economy is a concern as it is for the OP.[/QUOTE]

In 07' I picked my 04' Impreza WRX for ~$15,000 and running 8psi of boost I average 30-33mpg on the highway, which is what I regularly drive. These are just my personal observations and I'm just trying to throw out an opinion beyond the overwhelming suggestions of Toyota and Honda.

OP I was just put some money in you current car if the body isn't bad. My car is still kicking 193,000 a Neon. I recommend repair your current car and save some cash.

[quote name='gr8asianman']In 07' I picked my 04' Impreza WRX for ~$15,000 and running 8psi of boost I average 30-33mpg on the highway, which is what I regularly drive. These are just my personal observations and I'm just trying to throw out an opinion beyond the overwhelming suggestions of Toyota and Honda.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anyone overwhelming the thread with Toyota/Honda.

And again, *new*. Even if it weren't about "new," I don't see how $15k for a used up-market economy compact is worth crowing about. If you like the car, that's great, but I don't know how that could be construed as a "best car value under $15k," new or used.

The MPG is good, though, if you read around Subarus have a tough time pulling off real world MPG that matches the sticker, especially if you're gauging MPG honestly and not going by the trip gauge. (I had read that in the Subaru, the trip gauge is supposedly unaware of a portion of the tank).

And on the Nissan Cube, I looked at it very closely, test drove it a lot. I like the look, a lot of people hate it. HOWEVER, the Cube is not the value it's made out to be. The base model is very sparse, you've got to add a lot of shit to get it up to moderately comfortable (I'm not talking heated seats, I'm talking cruise, power windows, etc.). And by that point it becomes a $17k vehicle instead of the $14k it supposedly starts at.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=50c1a63b-b50e-4c18-b6ad-9b889bf78659
http://www.healthystuff.org/findings.021512.cars.php
http://www.healthystuff.org/bw.021512.cars.php

People should also consider which car use the least chemical compounds inside the car, all cars contain toxic chemicals inside that can harm your health.

The cleanest vehicle, with a score of 0.46, was the 2012 Honda Civic. The researchers attributed Honda’s low toxicity to the lack of BFRs in all interior components, the use of PVC-free interior fabrics and trim and low levels of heavy metals.

bread's done
Back