Official CAG Destiny Thread - Rise of Iron

Join Dead Orbit and rank up to level 3 and buy the Hung Jury scout rifle off of him. It's one of the best weapons in the game and has a great perk roll from the vendor.
Thanks for the tip, perhaps it wasn't just chance that Dead Orbit was the first Faction rep I ran into.

The Hung Jury is great, but I've also recently discovered Not Like The Others, which is an excellent scout that you can get from the Vanguard Quartermaster. Comes from the vendor with explosive rounds, crowd control and reactive reload.
....and you may already be rank 3 with Vanguard. Would be perfect to use until you get the Hung Jury..

I'm with Dead Orbit because I like the way their gear looks, and I've gotten a couple of high level items from ranking up with them.

So I really like the sparrow racing and I have played it a poop ton. I bought the Sparrow pack and right away got the bright pink Sparrow like I wanted! : D Also picked up a bunch of horns and got the Tron looking sparrow. All I really want now is that Pink shader to go with my sweet pink Sparrow!

The whole racing reminds me quite a bit of Podracers from back on the N64. Feels like a mix of that with Hydro/Arctic Thunder. It makes me with there were more actual racing games like this out on the market. I am not a fan of normal racing games like Forza and stuff but absolutely love arcade type racing games especially with groups of friends as I had done the SRL last night. 

*edit*

I completely agree with Dead Orbit and getting that Hung Jury. When TTK came out I did nothing but sing its praises right away and have since continued to use that as my main Legendary primary. I think I have it infused up to 314 now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha Ha Ha Lucky bastard.

Finished both The First Firewall and Paradox with my son and his friend.
We've never done Vault of Glass, so we're looking forward to doing that finally.
Forgot to attach picture. :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

4SPGG6Jh.jpg

I am not a fan of normal racing games like Forza and stuff but absolutely love arcade type racing games especially with groups of friends as I had done the SRL last night.

I'm exactly the same,
you might want to try the Forza Horizon games. I don't normally play racing games, but I couldn't STOP playing those.

I really like the sparrow racing too, but I wish they would have had just two more maps.
I'm already sick of the fans on the Mars track.
....and its pretty awesome how the 3 of coins works for it. I got a 310 Hawkmoon last night.
Getting exotics is certainly going to keep me racing for a while.

I'm exactly the same,
you might want to try the Forza Horizon games. I don't normally play racing games, but I couldn't STOP playing those.

I really like the sparrow racing too, but I wish they would have had just two more maps.
I'm already sick of the fans on the Mars track.
....and its pretty awesome how the 3 of coins works for it. I got a 310 Hawkmoon last night.
Getting exotics is certainly going to keep me racing for a while.
I will definitely give it a look then, thanks for the heads up!

And yeah I am playing until I get that bright Pink shader then I will slow down, until then though every night I will be racing probably hahah

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier but holy crap, did Bungie steal Honda's motorcycle logo for Sparrow racing...amrite or whut?

My theory is based on how successful SRL is, they'll just turn it into a limited event with new tracks, etc biweekly and/or save them for holidays and competitor's game release days.

First race came in dead last despite hitting the most gates, the more colorful racers were just better equipped...but I got a duck horn and a legendary helm. Everyone else got notes of light and a horn.

Lol. No complaints here!

Loving the sparrow racing.  I've already gotten a bunch of horns (love the fog horn and the duck horn), and some nice helmets.  A couple helmets landed in the mid-290s so they won't be too much trouble to infuse up if I decide to keep them.  Oh, and I bought one of the horn packs from Eververse and got the Lightrunner sparrow!  That thing is sweet and I feel like I finally have my light-cycle from Tron.

With only 2 maps and this being a 3 week even, I'm hopeful to see some new maps next week.  It seems weird that they'd go through the trouble to put this together and only have too maps available, so i bet we see a couple more before this is all over.

What the hell do you people mean by "horns"?

I'm just so detached from the game.  The hotel I'm at has very limited Internet and I can't really view videos so I can't even check it out that way.  That's OK - want it to be a surprise when I get back.

But what is the deal with buying things from Eververse - do you need to do that to get the good stuff?

You can honk horns on your sparrow now with B, and there are a bunch of different horns you can get that make different sounds.
Really though, you can barely hear it. It isn't as much fun as the Halloween masks.
Horns will sometimes drop after a race, or you can buy some with silver from Eververse. Honestly, I'm not even going to get myself into buying stuff again. I did it with Halloween, and immediately regretted it before it was even over.

You can also get this 'race gear' in drops after the race....but its weird. Only the helmets have armor value, the rest have nothing.
....and its pretty ugly, the boots make you look like you have your beginning Guardian again, before you found any gear.

OK, when people mentioned horns all I could think of was the Titan raid helmet ;).

Finally hit 40 last night.  :D/

(finishing the Black Garden quest line)

I got my Dead Orbit faction badge.

My EV-40 Snowscream sparrow.

4 helms of the Jade Rabbit.

The Stranger's Rifle

Infinity Edge (insert element here) later tonight...

...and 202 light (likely to go up once I redeem my sword).

Do you recommend I just trade in what few raw materials I have to Dead Orbit faction to 3 to grab Hung Jury or just try and get in on some strikes and raids?

Vanguard Rank: 0

(I just started this character Saturday night)

Legendary Marks: 0

I actually don't even know how I can earn Legendary Marks, but I will in a minute when I google it.

This game is still new to me, I'm still doing storyline missions for the purpose of beating the campaign itself. Right now I do a storyline mission or try and grind out a bounty in between 3-4 races.

I'm near the cap in Glimmer, I read somewhere it's a good exchange rate for faction rep using excess Glimmer for Heavy Ammo synth, iirc. I may go down that path. Once I get some better gear I'll head to the crucible and start hammering out those bounties and get back into pvp for goal specific rewards and fun.

There are a few quests that will award you Legendary Marks.
You can also do the Daily Heroic story and they Daily Crucible game for 15 each. Which is what I do every day. And your first three Heroic strikes of the week will get you 10 a piece.

If you have Ether Seeds, you can buy Heavy Ammo synths from Variks in The Reef, and trade them in for Faction Rep. Its a little cheaper than buying them from the gunsmith.

Motes of Light level you up quick too, but you don't want to trade all of those because they can also be used to level up your new weapons or armor quickly.

Thanks for all the info. It's much easier to comprehend than reading some of the guides online who assume you've been playing since day one.

Yeah, going to hold onto the motes of light for wpns & armor.

Definitely going to look into the daily heroic story tonight and see how far it is from where I am in the campaign itself.

Its a level from the original campaign. You've probably already done it, but if not just take your time. If you get stuck, let me know, I should be on this evening.
It's good to get in the habit of earning Marks if you're going to be buying or infusing gear a lot.

I'm near the cap in Glimmer, I read somewhere it's a good exchange rate for faction rep using excess Glimmer for Heavy Ammo synth, iirc. I may go down that path. Once I get some better gear I'll head to the crucible and start hammering out those bounties and get back into pvp for goal specific rewards and fun.
You could also spend some of that glimmer on weapon parts, like 2-3k glimmer's worth. May not be an issue now, but TTK does have you burn thru a whole mess of parts when you level/infuse weapons

But what is the deal with buying things from Eververse - do you need to do that to get the good stuff?
Well you have to buy the record book for silver to get a chance to unlock the "Momentum" legendary sets of armor along with a shader and emblem. but they actually messed it up at launch and you could unlock all the gear just by inspecting the record book from Tess and clicking on all the milestones you had completed without spending silver on it. I think they pushed a patch last night that fixed that though. You did have to at least complete the milestones first to unlock the gear so its not like everyone could glitch it out of the gate. Some of the requirements take a long time too such as 25 wins on a track and 100 tricks. I'm not sure any of this gear is any better than any of the after race drops, but they all have sparrow racing specific perks on them.

This is an interesting addition to the game and fun for a bit, but with only 2 tracks and no real rewards I won't be playing it much. The only reason I am playing now is to finish up the Chaperone quest. Once I'm done with that I doubt I'll play unless they add content to it.

I have started doing the daily stuff again for the marks since the new exotics are out so if anyone is looking to do those and sees me on hop in the fireteam.

Got challenge mode done this week with a lfg group got 320 boots to get me to 313. First group I was with was really bad the second group we did it on our second try doing the one orb strategy. Everybody left but me and another guy so we did the jumping part and lfg'ed another group together for the daughters but we could never get the second half done. Even though I was the lowest light level at 313 I never died once plus I always did the most damage to the first daughter but I was the first person they booted when things went downhill after 5-6 tries. 

Got challenge mode done this week with a lfg group got 320 boots to get me to 313. First group I was with was really bad the second group we did it on our second try doing the one orb strategy. Everybody left but me and another guy so we did the jumping part and lfg'ed another group together for the daughters but we could never get the second half done. Even though I was the lowest light level at 313 I never died once plus I always did the most damage to the first daughter but I was the first person they booted when things went downhill after 5-6 tries.
Sucks, but that seems to happen a lot when you're outnumbered in LFG groups. Not much you can do other than controlling fireteam lead, but even then guys can quit out.

Finally hit 40 last night. :D/

(finishing the Black Garden quest line)

Do you recommend I just trade in what few raw materials I have to Dead Orbit faction to 3 to grab Hung Jury or just try and get in on some strikes and raids?
Nice! I didn't expect you to be at 40 when I got back. I'll have a lot to do in Destiny when I get home, but we should try to get the rest of the link quest steps done. First thing I'll be doing is trying to get 3 challenge clears though. I'm glad to hear some people had good luck with LFG groups. I just fear that the later I have to wait in the week, the worse the LFG groups will be since it will only be people who couldn't clear it earlier ;). My Raid crew might help me do one, but I'll probably have to scrounge for the other 2. I can't pass up that 320 armor though.

Then I have to try out this racing thing as well.

In addition to the daily story and crucible to get marks, there is the weekly crucible as well. That is the one on the far left and is usually something odd like Mayhem Rumble. You have to win to get the marks, but it is much like the weekly Vanguard strikes in that you can get marks for 3 of them. But for sure at least do the Daily Crucible since you can play it however you want (win or do terribly) and still get the 15 marks. Soon enough you'll have so many marks you won't know what to do with them. I've been cashing them out for planetary materials recently which is something I never thought I'd do. But leveling up all that gear plus not doing patrols so much any more made me run pretty low on those.

Another weapon you may consider buying is the Hawksaw pulse rifle. I think he Crucible vendor has it, right? I don't have the vendor version, but I've got a couple from rank-up packages. Of course I think you need to be rank 3 there and that usually takes a little longer than even Vanguard or faction rep. I just know that I've been killed by that thing quite a bit.

Of course there was the small pulse rifle nerf. I haven't seen anyone's impressions of the weapon changes. Are shotguns much worse now? I like that my Grasp of Malok has the least nerf of all the pulse rifles. I tend to like to use that over all of the other ones (Nerwen's, Hawksaw, etc) when I'm not using Red Death. Though I might start using my Trials scout a little more. It has full auto and hidden hand. And I might consider giving sidearms a shot in Crucible.

Yeah....storytime w/little ones spilled over past 10 pm.

Today's heroic story sounds impossible for me unless the 2 others in the fireteam are projecting so much light, it'll compensate for my 202* but I'm willing to throw grenades and draw fire while trying not to die. I'm not far from finally unlocking triple jump which I heard you might need for the puzzle jump part of this mission also.

Welcome back Io.

I'm down for finishing up the Tale of 2 Guardians asap...dat sparrow though at the end.

I was always a fan of pulse rifles, just never found one that was better than what I was using at the time...at least now at 40 I have some rep and equipment goals. Plus there's racing.

As far as Rep goes, I'm basically zero with everyone except the Crypto (1), Vangaurd & SRL is close to 1. That'll change quickly though.

Xur is apparently here and has some legendary things for trade. I have enough strange coins for the Legacy Engram if you think it's worth the gamble, otherwise the boots are certainly better than what I have right now.

Edit: after reading up on the Monte Carlo offered by Xur, that's not a bad deal for someone who uses his throwing knife often. Scavenger + this, and finding some grenade cool down w/melee attacks sounds great. I don't play enough crucible yet for the likely to lose in a trade to really affect me, maybe this is what I should drop my coins into while I work on rep and all the other things to keep track of...it also looks pretty cool.

What are you hoping to get with the Legacy Engram? Because remember, that will decrypt into a year one weapon only.
You may get lucky and get something and has a year two counterpart, but then you'll still have to buy the year two version from the kiosk for 150 Marks.
You may want to just get the Monte Carlo, because you know what you're gettin there, and then maybe armor too. Those two should provide you with a nice boost to your light level

....or, you can farm for strange coins and get all three, you have until late Sat night.

What are you hoping to get with the Legacy Engram? Because remember, that will decrypt into a year one weapon only.
You may get lucky and get something and has a year two counterpart, but then you'll still have to buy the year two version from the kiosk for 150 Marks.
You may want to just get the Monte Carlo, because you know what you're gettin there, and then maybe armor too. Those two should provide you with a nice boost to your light level

....or, you can farm for strange coins and get all three, you have until late Sat night.
Damn your logic!

Thanks for the heads up on it being a Y1 wpn only, didn't know that...I think I'll play a scratch card on the way home and see where my luck fares for the night.

Now to read up on efficient strange coin farming places. Oh look! I can race and get strange coins. Vroom Vroom!

Y1 engrams are really only good for filling out collections at this point, I'm afraid. Go for the weapon, some three of coins and armor if it's higher than what you have.

Finished up my sparrow races for the Last Word part of the Chaperone quest.  Took like 40 races or so.  Thew on some netflix I needed to catch up on and just ran the races on my monitor.  I guess the next step is to do the special Shield brothers strike and kill them with shotguns.  If anyone wants to do that let me know.

Also I wanted to do the 7 precision kills in one crucible match to move the First Curse quest ahead so if anyone wants to take a fireteam into rumble and knock those kills out sometime let me know.  Shouldn't take too long to get it done for us.

EDIT - Actually I forgot about the falloff in players in the middle of the day.  Was able to get my First Curse precision kills in my 2nd game trying.  It was even on that large moon map that I havent played on since one of the times I did Thorn waaay back in the day.

Sparrow racing is fun! How long does this event last?
I believe its until the 29th

Finished up my sparrow races for the Last Word part of the Chaperone quest. Took like 40 races or so. Thew on some netflix I needed to catch up on and just ran the races on my monitor. I guess the next step is to do the special Shield brothers strike and kill them with shotguns. If anyone wants to do that let me know.

I just started 'Jolly Hoilday' last night.
What did you do, equip TLW at the end of the race, or just leave it?
You just can't crash, correct? And if you do, just don't equip it? Wait until the next one?

Yes I just equipped TLW before I started racing and left it on the entire time. I was getting 2-4% each race regardless of where I finished.  You might lose some credit for crashing, but once you learn the courses (Which won't take long considering there are only 2 tracks) you shouldn't crash very often.  

Great I had a chance to play a little bit today with the the wife and lids out of the house and now i am getting this message after I pick my character.

"ATTENTION

You have lost connection to Destiny servers. Your permissions to access online multiplayer gameplay may have changed or your profile may have been signed in elsewhere. For more information, visit help.bungie.net"

I can like 4-5 people on my friends list playing the game so I dont think its a Destiny wide issue. Has anybody ever this issue before and what did you do to fix it?

It isn't just you, there are a bunch of people on Reddit saying the servers are down. I just tried to get on myself, and got the same error message.

Ok thanks I googled it but didn't get anything that was to recent. That message seems like it's more PSN related than XBL related.

One of my better days in recent memory:
Did a ton of racing to finish the 'Jolly Holiday' requirements
Got about 7 300+ helmets to drop from races, that I used to infuse other helmets
Got a couple of 300+ Titan marks that I also used for infusion
Had some luck with 3 of coins, including a 310 Dragon's Breath
...and bought myself the Hawksaw, because everybody raves about it in crucible, and yes, it is pretty awesome.

Okay, did a lot of Sparrow racing this weekend and I'm happy with the results.  Got all the shaders (except the one locked behind the log book), a couple nifty new sparrows, and best of all, a 320 helmet.   :D/  :D/  :D/   I also got a slew of other helms and class items between 305 and 315, so i can use those for infusion later.  

So if this weeks challenge mode is going to be Oryx with a different relic runner each time can we please try and set up a CAG night for Wednesday night? There is no way I am going to touch LFG.com for that one.

Okay, did a lot of Sparrow racing this weekend and I'm happy with the results. Got all the shaders (except the one locked behind the log book), a couple nifty new sparrows, and best of all, a 320 helmet. :D/ :D/ :D/ I also got a slew of other helms and class items between 305 and 315, so i can use those for infusion later.
I have done sparrow racing for hours since it launched each night and I still have only gotten 3 of the shaders and my highest drop was 310... : / Ugh. Reminds me why I stopped playing in the first place!

Apparently, once you get to Rank 3 in SRL, the Helmets start dropping at above 310 (probably the same for the class items, but I haven't gotten one today) got a bunch of helmets though, all between 313-319
I'll be on the hunt for a few higher class items this week.
All three exotics that dropped for me today were 310: Zhalo Supercell, Immolation Fists & another Dragons Breath.

I wish I hadn't bought the Monte Carlo on Friday, and bought more 3 of Coins instead. It would be great if Bungie changed up the after race rewards next week. I don't think we need two more weeks of helmets and class items.

Okay, did a lot of Sparrow racing this weekend and I'm happy with the results. Got all the shaders (except the one locked behind the log book), a couple nifty new sparrows, and best of all, a 320 helmet. :D/ :D/ :D/ I also got a slew of other helms and class items between 305 and 315, so i can use those for infusion later.
Damn, so were you rank 3? I'm only about half way to rank 2 but of course I just started Saturday. I think I'm screwed for the 10 win bounty since I'll have, at most, 9 done before reset. When you turn a bounty in like that when another of the same kind is available, it just doesn't let you do it again (even though it is teasing me by showing it to me again now). At least that is the way it worked for Iron Banner bounties. So I'll lose one of the 3 week's worth of those (I'm assuming there will be one every week).

My best drop so far has been a 298 helmet. I am on the last part of the quest and got 1 win right off the bat. I was hoping to get more done before it gets too late and the races are much tougher but I don't know.

I finally got in on the Golgoroth challenge last night on one character. I got a 320 chest piece that only improved my light in that slot by 3. I would have been better off with boots. Oh well. I don't know if I'll get any more done this week. My group might be running it tonight. If I have to rely on LFG on the very last day I think that will be pretty dicey.

I also finally got a hard mode helmet from Oryx so I was probably like the last person who runs the raid regularly to get the ascendant plane shader ;).

So if this weeks challenge mode is going to be Oryx with a different relic runner each time can we please try and set up a CAG night for Wednesday night? There is no way I am going to touch LFG.com for that one.
Yeah, I'm up for a run maybe - though my regular group should be all ready to go early this week. We have to knock everything out before Star Wars comes out ;).

Highlight of the night...playing the daily crucible & getting the triple play achievement. Who knew there'd be a Hunter/Lock/Guardian in Alpha team all gunned down by the Monte Carlo & a incendiary throwing knife.  :whistle2:

Lowlight of the night...ISP crash trying to finish the daily heroic story w/Io after the hard part and at least me being unable to complete the daily and Io likely wondering wth happened to me for a few minutes.

When you say 298 helmet you mean defense aka light? So any number in front of a piece of equipment = the light rating? I'll eventually get accustomed to all the current lingo.

I have about 6 Jade Rabbit helms from SRL racing, the one I'm wearing is 300...it's not the choice stat array that I'd like but it has more light than the other helmets. So, what do I do w/the other purple helmets? I thought of dismantling them but I'm know someone knows a maximized way of recycling them.

...and what's up with the 3 Defense SRL unlocks from the racing kits and rep rewards?

Looking to get some people to play with. I am on most nights and weekends. Level 40 - 230 Titan right now. Just grinding for gear.

Tag = Evil Angel Am I

Hit me up if you guys want.

Highlight of the night...playing the daily crucible & getting the triple play achievement. Who knew there'd be a Hunter/Lock/Guardian in Alpha team all gunned down by the Monte Carlo & a incendiary throwing knife. :whistle2:

Lowlight of the night...ISP crash trying to finish the daily heroic story w/Io after the hard part and at least me being unable to complete the daily and Io likely wondering wth happened to me for a few minutes.

When you say 298 helmet you mean defense aka light? So any number in front of a piece of equipment = the light rating? I'll eventually get accustomed to all the current lingo.

I have about 6 Jade Rabbit helms from SRL racing, the one I'm wearing is 300...it's not the choice stat array that I'd like but it has more light than the other helmets. So, what do I do w/the other purple helmets? I thought of dismantling them but I'm know someone knows a maximized way of recycling them.

...and what's up with the 3 Defense SRL unlocks from the racing kits and rep rewards?
Destiny is funny with achievements. I have a friend who must have gotten that triple play around a year ago but it didn't pop on her achievements until last week. When I got it, it required me to log out of Destiny and log back in.

And yeah, I went on to get through the rest of that daily heroic and then sat at the end for a while waiting for you to come back. It didn't help that Destiny was being crappy with the friend's list again as was the Xbox friend's list (which continued to show you being in the game even after you left).

Yeah, 298 means the light level. Now that I'm rank 2 I'm getting 300+ ones. I got a 307 last night. Once I hit rank 3 I want to farm tons of helms and class items since I have so many of those to infuse past 310 - so I'm really looking forward to that.

I would just dismantle the other helms for the marks and armor materials. Just keep whichever one has the best light/stats/perks. There seem to be two different racing perks and one is probably better than the other (the one that lets you tilt your sparrow while in the air). Keep in mind that it takes quite a bit of experience (or motes of light) to level up the gear to unlock perks. So it is best, probably, when you get higher light ones to infuse those into the one you have maxed, especially if you like its stats/perk.

I dismantled my 3 defense helmet. You can always rebuy that from the racing vendor and I didn't like the fact that it doesn't take the shader color (it is one of the tan ones).

I also didn't realize that when you complete the rank S quest, you get a sparrow package just like the ones you buy from Evervese. It even went so far as to say it was not returnable! I got the pink one from that, so that was pretty cool. The only one that would have been better was the one with lightning on it.

In other news, I got a second Golgoroth challenge done and got 320 gauntlets, so that was cool. I might be doing my 3rd one today - then we get to see what Oryx is expecting of us tomorrow...

bread's done
Back