Official CAG Destiny Thread - Rise of Iron

Two things:

First, the Red Bull mission and rewards actually look darn good!  I'm digging the blue ghost shell with white accent.  Here are the details:

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331746950341/red-bull-quest-reveal

Second, I've never really dug into the Iron Banner before, but I must have that Titan helmet!  Not a 'hey, that's cool' or 'golly, I wish I could get that'.....I gotta have this.  See y'all in the crucible in Year 2 for the IB.

http://planetdestiny.com/trials-iron-banner-gear/

Sorry, third thing...

Also....there are three new ghosts in Crota's End.  Two in the lamps (one is actually right at the end of the bridge/light) and one is in the turd/shard room where the Deathsinger hangs out.  It's dumb that I'm getting so excited about more dead ghosts, but I really enjoyed hunting them all down in Y1. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: what is the deal with the armor materials? I thought that some amount of our class materials (sapphire wire) would convert over somehow to the generic material while we could then trade the rest in for rep. But I have not yet found any conversion system. Are we just stuck starting over from square one on armor materials for TTK?
Sorry for so many posts. Guess I'm just really excited for TTK. Anyway, yeah Sim, now they are giving us one general armor mat instead of class specific. I suspect that come Tuesday what we have will convert or will be dismantlable (not a real word, but you know what I mean).

So I figured I would buy the physical copy of The Taken King at Best Buy so with my GCU I drop $50, trade in the disc for $10, sell the DLC on eBay for $20 and then get The Taken King for only $20 so I could justify the extra $20 for the separate collectors edition download stuff that they announced. Looking around however I do not see that content listed and even on the Bungie FAQ it seems it isnt available yet. You guys know anything I don't here about this (I know I have been fairly out of the Destiny loop lately)?

So far, the unboxing vids have shown ALL the dlc is listed on 1 code sheet.  'Maybe there's 2-3 codes printed on it, but if it's 1, you won't be able to sell off the expansion bits.

Sucks cuz I was going to do the same :lol:

So far, the unboxing vids have shown ALL the dlc is listed on 1 code sheet. 'Maybe there's 2-3 codes printed on it, but if it's 1 you won't be able to sell off the expansion bits.

Sucks cuz I was going to do the same :lol:
LAME! I thought I had read somewhere on Bungie that it would be separate... Now I have to do more digging.

*EDIT*

Looks like it definitely is one code. That is really shitty. They are completely screwing over those of us who have supported the game from the start. Seriously would it have been that hard to have two separate codes at least? Gah I hate how I am so pissed with them all the time and yet I am likely to keep going back.

Got my Vex Mythoclast to 177 damage and my Titan to 170 xp. I hear you can get a Warlock to 171, almost 172, because they have a class item that is 180. I didn't get it from the Vanguard yet.
Just curious, was your Vex a recent drop??? I ask cuz I have one sitting in my vault but it's maxed out at 170. Wondering if a fresh drop would result in the higher attack rating.

*EDIT*

Looks like it definitely is one code. That is really shitty. They are completely screwing over those of us who have supported the game from the start. Seriously would it have been that hard to have two separate codes at least? Gah I hate how I am so pissed with them all the time and yet I am likely to keep going back.
Yep, I got some thinking to do to maximize my value here. I will definitely pick up the CE from Gamestop. So I could either sell just the game out of it for probably a whopping $10 and just keep the DLC and physical items. Or possibly I might sell the whole thing sealed if it is getting a premium and use that money to pay for the DLC. I think I can live without the plastic strange coin replica.

Another option: buy the legendary edition at Best Buy for $48. I have already locked in the trade-in value at Amazon for $34.08. Redeem the DLC code, then send in the case/disc for $34.08. They don't expect DLC codes to be unused on trade-ins. I'm surprised they haven't dropped the value on this yet. Then the DLC is about $14 (with some of your money converted into Amazon credit). (Note that Amazon trade-in can be very YMMV. If the disc is really just a plain vanilla Destiny disc they may look at it and think it is the wrong one and reject it - fair warning if you go this route).

I have some questions on the DLC timing. When does the DLC turn on? Will it be Tuesday at reset or are they doing that bullshit 10am thing again? Drunkz gave me a red bull code (thanks!). When can I redeem that and what, exactly, does it do?

You can redeem the redbull code now here: http://quest.redbull.com/us/en. It will give you the focused light at the postmaster.  You might as well do it now as you can just keep the focused light for when the new content goes live.  

I thought they said already that the content would go live right at the reset?   I'm definitely leaning towards being on at that time if that is the case since I won't be around much the next 2 weeks.  Want to at least get a couple good days into the game.

I am pretty excited for the new content despite some of my gripes.

If that is the case then I might have to bite the bullet and just buy it online and forgo the trade-in route.

Though, perhaps not.  Fred Meyer is saying they will have it available at 9pm tomorrow.  I could buy it there, then buy it later at Best Buy, do the return swap, and then send the used game into Amazon.  Yeah., sometimes there's a lot of work being a CAG ;).

Hmmm looks like I will do that too io, thanks for the heads up!

Also in doing so it popped up other things I own that I could trade in and I found that The Art of Captain America I bought for $28 at release years ago now trades in for $29 and I since have gotten a duplicate with the Marvel Movie Studios Art Collection so it was an extra of mine anyway! Win win!

I have the CE ordered from Gamestop, but only the ship to home option was available at the time, and I know they won't get it to me on release day. So, I went ahead and ordered a copy from Best Buy also.
I may just give the extra code to one of my son's friends.

I hadn't gotten around to starting another Guardian until just the other day, and I've been having a great time playing through the story and both DLCs again. Made a Warlock to go along with my Titan, and he's been a lot of fun.
I thought it might be a bit of a grind, but I'm already at level 30.
That leaves me free to use my level up token on a Hunter this week.

Just curious, was your Vex a recent drop??? I ask cuz I have one sitting in my vault but it's maxed out at 170. Wondering if a fresh drop would result in the higher attack rating.
Buy a new one from the exotic blueprint kiosk then pop a pulse rifle telemetry and level it up using motes. It'll get it to 177.

Buy a new one from the exotic blueprint kiosk then pop a pulse rifle telemetry and level it up using motes. It'll get it to 177.
Wait that is the Vex only or all the Y1 exotics will max at a higher light level when purchased from the kiosk and leveled up? I am going to have to re-level every exotic to get it to the 'new' max level?

Thanks io for that code, I checked the reddit thread and saw that somehow I had missed some of the older codes. I posted it here just in case anyone else missed any:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/wiki/redeemablecodes

EDIT

Have a TTK-eve free Red Bull code available. PM me if you are interested. Please be active in the thread/game before asking.

I'm back from my hiatus. I bought destiny day one and played the shit out of it. Did raids, etc. with several off you on this thread. I never bought any of the DLC though....only because I had played so much I was just tired of the game at that point. I bought the legendary edition of Taken King though so I started playing again today.

I had all three characters maxed out to whatever level was the cap originally, but now I am down a few levels because I guess it changed as far as how weapons and gear level. I am back to noob status now trying to figure out how leveling and all works now....etheric light?..wtf? Oh well, here I go. If anybody has quick advice on major changes or as far as what I should be focusing on, I'm listening.

Wait that is the Vex only or all the Y1 exotics will max at a higher light level when purchased from the kiosk and leveled up? I am going to have to re-level every exotic to get it to the 'new' max level?

Thanks io for that code, I checked the reddit thread and saw that somehow I had missed some of the older codes. I posted it here just in case anyone else missed any:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/wiki/redeemablecodes

EDIT

Have a TTK-eve free Red Bull code available. PM me if you are interested. Please be active in the thread/game before asking.
Whoa I had like 3 that weren't entered before. Thanks!

Gamestop.com hasn't even processed my TTK CE order...arg!! I might just get the digital if it doesn't show up in time,

Quick question about the preorder stuff. I know the preorder stuff for the vanilla version was pretty useless but looking now I just want to make sure.

Every retailer preorder has the Vanguard pack right? That has the three weapons that we get early access to? It looks like that code will be packaged in all launch copies of the game and not necessarily tied to a preorder?

And then Gamestop is the only place for the Suros weapons and shader? I really was actually jealous of the Gamestop CoD shader for Destiny and so now part of me wants to just preorder at GS to get the shader and crap and just return it once I get the code...

Thoughts? 

Quick question about the preorder stuff. I know the preorder stuff for the vanilla version was pretty useless but looking now I just want to make sure.

Every retailer preorder has the Vanguard pack right? That has the three weapons that we get early access to? It looks like that code will be packaged in all launch copies of the game and not necessarily tied to a preorder?

And then Gamestop is the only place for the Suros weapons and shader? I really was actually jealous of the Gamestop CoD shader for Destiny and so now part of me wants to just preorder at GS to get the shader and crap and just return it once I get the code...

Thoughts?
This says all pre-orders from anywhere get the Suros weapons, emblem, and shader.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/24/9035955/destiny-the-taken-king-suros-arsenal-pack-pre-orders

The XBOX Marketplace has the Suros pack as well, but I don't see a mention on Amazon and Best Buy. :/
It looks like it is one thing entirely. On the Xbox Store it shows as Weapon and Suros Pack which would mean it is a single package. Best Buy says it has a Vanguard weapon pack for preorder which would likely be a single code for that Weapon bundle on the Xbox Store. Looking into it is definitely seems like it is just a code packed in with the initial shipment and it includes all preorder weapons.

This is kind of fun:  https://www.destinythegame.com/legend-of-you

My Warlock: FALLEN DESTROYER ODIBEE, THE UNBOUND

- Prison of Elders: 5 Skolas kills

- Most Lethal Exotic: Vex Mythoclast 3811 kills

- Strength of the Wolf: 21 earned

- Fallen K/D ratio: 195.27 (top 9% of Guardians)

- Total Iron Banner wins: 94 (top 1% of Guardians)

Titan: FALLEN DESTROYER ODIBEE, THE CABAL CONQUEROR

- Crota's End Raider: 35 Crota kills

- Most Lethal Exotic: Gjallarhorn 2791 kills

- Fallen Shank Kills: 6250 (top 1% of Guardians)

- Total Iron Banner wins: 85 (top 1% of Guardians)

- Cabal Legionary kills: 3398 (top 1% of Guardians)

Hunter: UNBOUND ODIBEE, THE CABAL CONQUEROR

- Crota's End Raider: 36 Crota kills

- Most Lethal Exotic: Vex Mythoclast 3504 kills

- Sum of All Tears (win a Rumble match with a score greater than the sum of your enemies): 1 earned

- Enemy Super Kills: 1657 (top 1% of Guardians)

- Vex Hydra kills: 18 (top 7% of all Guardians) - we know this one is BS as I've killed way more than that but for some reason they don't count the yellows

I kind of assumed that this wouldn't go live at the reset so I have created a logistical nightmare for myself.  My CE is reserved by my work instead of by my house so I'd have to drive all the way over here at midnight to pick it up to play at the reset.  If the CE code was at least separate from the other codes I'd just buy it digital and pick up the CE later. 

Not that I am going to, but did they add the option to buy the CE digital stuff separately?  I see it in the marketplace but it says can only be purchased as a bundle.

I kind of assumed that this wouldn't go live at the reset so I have created a logistical nightmare for myself. My CE is reserved by my work instead of by my house so I'd have to drive all the way over here at midnight to pick it up to play at the reset. If the CE code was at least separate from the other codes I'd just buy it digital and pick up the CE later.

Not that I am going to, but did they add the option to buy the CE digital stuff separately? I see it in the marketplace but it says can only be purchased as a bundle.
Reset is 5am for me so it is a no brainer for me.. I will be sleeping at launch haha

And in terms of the CE stuff it is mentioned in Bungie's FAQ but even there is doesnt have definite information. I am hoping it will be live at reset to buy.

And io those were cool to watch, though I wish they had Atheon info on there since most of my time has been spent in VoG.

One thing that really shocked me was on my Titan (who I never use and is my garbage fallback character when my team needs a bubble) has this stat: Crucible K/D - 1.28.... which is the top 4% of ALL Guardians?! That is a really weak k/d to be one of the top ones in the whole game, especially with that on my character I hate playing PvP in. I guess maybe I am just used to my old days of when I was k/d obsessed with CoD and stuff and my 3.0+ but 4% really took me by surprise.

The K/D percentage is probably due to all the players who have hopped into pvp but don't continue past those first few spankings.

I hope you guys are having better luck with the Red Bull codes than I am.
Glock was kind enough to send me one the orher day( thanks again Glock), unfortunately, it was redeemed. Over the weekend I found 4 Destiny cans at a gas station nearby..... all codes redeemed already but one. So I'm 1 for 5.

I had heard that these codes were a problem, and that people were figuring them out and entering them.
There was something to fill out and send a photo online at the Red Bull site, so I'm hoping they at least get back to me with one more code, so I'll be sure to have that mission on my son's console too.

....oh and hey Gamestop, any time you want to drop me an email saying my CE has shipped, that would be great.
I think I may call a couple of stores in the morning and see if they by any chance, got a stray CE in.

Reset is 5am for me so it is a no brainer for me.. I will be sleeping at launch haha

And in terms of the CE stuff it is mentioned in Bungie's FAQ but even there is doesnt have definite information. I am hoping it will be live at reset to buy.

And io those were cool to watch, though I wish they had Atheon info on there since most of my time has been spent in VoG.

One thing that really shocked me was on my Titan (who I never use and is my garbage fallback character when my team needs a bubble) has this stat: Crucible K/D - 1.28.... which is the top 4% of ALL Guardians?! That is a really weak k/d to be one of the top ones in the whole game, especially with that on my character I hate playing PvP in. I guess maybe I am just used to my old days of when I was k/d obsessed with CoD and stuff and my 3.0+ but 4% really took me by surprise.
Take any of the percentile stat with a grain of salt. If they didn't use Destiny tracker for it, I wouldn't trust it to be honest.

I just put your GT in on Destinytracker and it says you have an overall 1.18 K/D which is 23 percentile.

I kind of assumed that this wouldn't go live at the reset so I have created a logistical nightmare for myself. My CE is reserved by my work instead of by my house so I'd have to drive all the way over here at midnight to pick it up to play at the reset. If the CE code was at least separate from the other codes I'd just buy it digital and pick up the CE later.

Not that I am going to, but did they add the option to buy the CE digital stuff separately? I see it in the marketplace but it says can only be purchased as a bundle.
I didn't think anywhere was doing a midnight thing for this.

I think this is what I'm going to do:

- Buy the Legendary Edition at Fred Meyer when it becomes available at 9pm according to their ad (FM is 1/2 mile from my house and open till 11pm every day so this is easy to do)

- Open it and use the DLC code so I can play at reset

- Buy a copy at Best Buy for $48 using GCU

- Tomorrow afternoon pick up my CE from GS and the Best Buy copy

- Return the Best Buy game to FM

- Send the open Legendary copy to Amazon for the $34

- Do ?? with the GS CE (might keep it, might sell it, might open it and sell the code and game, keep the physical stuff - don't really know yet!)

I figure even if Amazon rejects the game (which is a good possibility) I should at least be able to get $15 for it even if I have to trade it in to GS as vanilla Destiny (TiV is $14 right now). Getting back anything more than $8 makes it cheaper than buying the digital TTK outright from the marketplace.

Don't forget trade old Destiny to GS and return/rebuy Collectors Edition to get $20 off.
Well, yeah, but I have the game digitally... I was thinking of asking them if I could turn right around and trade in the disc from the CE itself to take $20 off the CE. But the regulars at my local GS that I had a good rapport with the last few years all seem to be gone. I wouldn't ask that of the ones there now.

However this shakes out I will have quite the CAG history with Destiny. Once I sort it all out I'll post the details from the beginning...

Vash, found this on the Bungie forums:

Early access to Suros Arsenal Pack is available starting 09.15.15. Suros Arsenal Pack can be attained by pre-order of digital and physical editions of Destiny: The Taken King or by the purchase of the digital or physical Collector’s Edition.

All Day 1 Taken King players will automatically qualify for additional weapon pack offers.

For all others, the Suros Arsenal Pack will also be attainable through gameplay starting on 01.01.16. Suros Arsenal Pack is not exclusive to any retailer or platform. Subject to availability for preorders.

https://www.bungie.net/en-US/Forum/Post/130850748/0/0

Was in search of the Digital Collector's Edition Bungle but nothing can be found :/

I think I am more excited to just play with you all again than I am the actual game itself. With my move I am secluded from pretty much everyone for the past few months and will be for quite a few more and so playing online again with friends at least sounds really nice right about now : )

I called a couple local GS and both are open for midnight despite both being just a couple miles away from each other.  Asked if either place had any CE left so I could swap over my pre order but they said they only got shipments for what they already had orders for and no extras.  So I guess I'll head out to this further store and grab my CE.  Nothing else going on really.  

I'm heading out to dinner with my son and the restaurant is right next to the GS I preordered at.  So I guess I will go in and finalize my order around 8 after all.

In any case, it looks like I'll be on tonight at 2am reset for sure - so whoever else is on lets do some stuff.  I have no idea what we'll be able to do - just the new story stuff?   I heard there isn't a Nightfall maybe this week?  And of course no Raid immediately but that's OK - I need to get back into the controls and such after my layoff.

Otherwise when will the rest of you most likely start playing?  I can try to be on early-ish Tuesday evening.  I'm sure I'll have another character to run through everything then ;).

I am now in EST unfortunately and largely will be on at night but since I work remotely for the time being I can be on randomly throughout the day as well though I try not to!

I should be on around the reset if I remember to wake up early for it. Not sure I can set an alarm unless I want to sleep on the couch. Lol

Also I just traded in my ps4 copy and they gave me $26 for it towards my CE. Not sure what happened there but I'm not complaining.

Well, hitting the new level cap is super easy.  I did it in less than 2 hours.  Now, getting new weapons/armor to get that light level up is another matter.   I'll be back on this evening - time for sleep...

I did get a legendary shader and auto rifle so far.  Otherwise it is pretty strange replacing that old gear with the first random greens you find.  So right now I am mostly rocking a mix of green and blue stuff.

Well, hitting the new level cap is super easy. I did it in less than 2 hours. Now, getting new weapons/armor to get that light level up is another matter. I'll be back on this evening - time for sleep...

I did get a legendary shader and auto rifle so far. Otherwise it is pretty strange replacing that old gear with the first random greens you find. So right now I am mostly rocking a mix of green and blue stuff.
Yeah I saw a lot of you nightowls were already at level 40 in less than 2 hours. Did you get there just through story content or were you also cashing in packages and mats for XP?

Yea, I fell asleep at 3am and didn't get up to play at the reset, lol. The dogs woke me up at 6am (just an hour after reset) and I logged on to check it out. There were already a ton of people on my friends list who were at 40 or right near it. So like we assumed a few days ago, xp level is pretty meaningless. You will hit 40 quickly but grinding for the higher light level gear will be what limits what you can do.

I saw a bunch of people who were playing had the Y1 PS exclusive weapons equipped so I guess my theory on the smart RNG caused those to drop for a lot of us who have most of the exotics already. I was half asleep but the first quest has you going from vendor to vendor in the tower to get reaquainted with everything. They all give you something and the cryptarch gave me an exotic weapon (the PS auto rifle). Wasn't sure if that was from leveling up cryptarch or if the exotic was a standard drop for everyone doing that quest.

How is it content-wise? Does it seem like there is a lot to it?
Yea, it seems like there is so far. The quests are pretty well integrated into everything so you seem to always have a bunch active. After you do the first story mission it unlocks the quest for the 3rd subclass. That mission was very short and once I had finished it it was time to leave for work. But I've only played for an hour or so, but it feels like there is a ton of stuff left to get into.

All the new greens and blues are pretty much better than your best Y1 gear if you are already starting at 34. Like io said you will have to grind for the legendary marks to start buying some of the light level 280 gear unless you get really lucky on drops. So get ready to play a lot of the daily crucible (Rift today...ugh) or the strike playlist once you get leveled up high enough.

There are 5 little daily/weekly icons now, but only 2 were available this morning (daily crucible and weekly strikes). What are those other 3 supposed to be?

I'll be on this evening probably after 8pm eastern so whoever wants to play just hit me up. I'll be down to do whatever.

Hey, can we exchange excess resources like Spinmetal anywhere? I thought that was coming but didn't see it as an option when I lodged in earlier.

Is amazon the only one taking the new Taken King editions? I'm trying to find the trade in values on BB and GS's websites and they seem to be nonexistent.

bread's done
Back