Official CAG Pokemon League- From Outline

adriley313

Banned
Working it out now.
But get ready for it soon.

It will consist of us CAGs as the gym leaders and the trainers challenging the gym.
Its like a never ending tournament.
Shoot me PMs with your ideas.

Here's a rough outline of what I wanna do with CAGs help.
Rules

• Gym Leader selection to come.
  • Build up your team of Pokemon. I definitely suggest going to websites like Smogon.com for ideas and strategies when giving your Pokemon moves and setting up your team overall.
  • Once your team is ready, create a group opening up your gym for challenges. As gym leader, you can decide how may Pokemon you and your challenger will be using and if you want your battles to be Single Battle or Double Battle in format. To keep things fair for both parties, I suggest having the clauses listed below in effect. Though, it's up to you. Because the gym leader will be using a team consisting of Pokemon from one type, you can also chose to have your challenger use a special Type Clause preventing them from using more than one Pokemon of the same type.
  • Prizes for beating a gym leader vary per gym. Some gyms might decide to give the winner a Pokemon with a TM, a berry, or any other item, whatever they choose. Bragging rights are enough for some people too.
  • If someone didn't get their pick at their favorite type, a gym leader can be challenged for their title by someone who also uses a mono-team of that gym's typing. If the winner wins, he becomes that gym's new leader.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sleep Clause
You cannot put two of your opponent's Pokemon to sleep at the same time. (Rest not applicable)

Evasion Clause
No moves that increase evasion such as Double Team and Minimize may be used. Things like Sand-Attack and Sand Veil are still legal.

Species Clause
No two of the same Pokemon may be used on one team.

One Hit KO Clause
One-Hit-KO moves such as Horn Drill or Sheer Cold are not to be used.

Uber Clause
No Uber Pokemon are allowed. These Pokemon include:
Arceus - Darkrai - Deoxys - Dialga - Garchomp - Giratina - Groudon - Ho-Oh - Kyogre - Latios - Lugia - Manaphy - Mew - Mewtwo - Palkia - Rayquaza - Shaymin (Sky Forme) - Wobbuffet - Wynaut

Item Clause
No Two Pokemon may hold the same item

Selfdestruct Clause
The moves Selfdestruct, Explosion, Perish Song, Destiny Bond, or any other such move may not be used if both players only have 1 remaining Pokemon. If a player uses one of those moves under this condition, they automatically lose.

Gym Leaders

Elite Four
Champion-

Challenge Format

Battles will be done via Nintendo Wi-Fi connection. Please exchange friend codes and arrange a time to battle. Be sure to check with your gym to see its specific battling style (double/single battles, number of Pokemon, clauses.) When you defeat a gym, you will acquire that gym's badge as well as any prize that gym leader is offering.

Gym Leader Titles

Gym Leaders can be challenged for their title after successfully defeated 8 gyms and acquiring their badges. Gym Leader Titles can be won by challenging the gym you wish to run by battling the current Gym Leader with a team of Pokemon from that type. For example, you will use a Steel team to battle against a Steel Gym Leader.

Ps I borrowing this from GG.net

Last edited by a moderator:
As I posted in my B&W general, Ive always doubted that this could be pulled off on CAG. I seriously doubt there would be enough people

Edit: Also, I hate the idea of being able to take over gyms

Its in the planning stages and if we need to we can knock it down to 8 gyms, 4 elite four and no takeover gyms.

Im thinking the elite four would be a theme trainers.
I was thinking i could do an Eevee elite four member.

Well what if you just say want to focus on a fire theme, but not all pokemon are fire-types. I mean there are some gym leaders in game that have different types as well, though one basic theme. I dunno, just throwing that out. Maybe if all the pokemon have at least a fire-type move (In this example) and of course 2-3 of them do either have to be a fire-type or a dual fire-type.

It would depend on the pokemon. Solrock to me would be fine to use in a fire gym, but I wouldn't want to see Dragonite's in a fire gym just because they can learn fire blast.

I would also be interested in this.

And I think a theme should consist of only those Pokemon who are at least half of this type.

I'm interested in this. It sounds neat, just needs some work. I'm gonna put some thought into what I can contribute to help out.

The only problem with this is that in the time it will take people to build their themed/typed teams a lot may lose interest.

[quote name='Filbert']The only problem with this is that in the time it will take people to build their themed/typed teams a lot may lose interest.[/QUOTE]

they'll be back for black and white, which probably comes out next year here.

So we can build a good system in time for Black and White.
Work out the kinks now.
Sort of a Beta.
Any ideas post them here or email them to me.

Types can be dual types. Houndoom can be dark or fire.
GayGamer.net is doing it, where i got the idea and im training to battle their gyms.

If we do ill start out as the Psychic gym leader.

Sounds fun, but I'm not sure we have the critical mass here on CAG to keep it up. :p Personally, I'd love to participate but don't know if I could make the commitment...

On a related note, how "beatable" do you intend the gym leaders to be? Modeling the game/show, gym leaders are a challenge but you're supposed to be able to beat them. There are a few aspects you could include to give challengers an inherent advantage (or not).
1. Gym leaders are restricted to a certain type specialty. (Obviously, this is given)
2. Gym leaders can't change their team (or lead).
3. Gym leaders may have less than 6 pokemon.
4. Gym leaders may have a level disadvantage.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that there's a range of skill levels. IMO we want as many people to have fun with it as possible. It'd be lame to let more casual players be crushed by the competi-dorks. In that regard, I'd advocate the first 2 rules above. The last 2, not so much. :)

I had to restart SoulSilver as my save was deleted (explanation here), but I could get together a type-specific team fairly quickly. I don't mind what type I do, so just notify me after everyone picks there favourites and that's what I'll do. :)

It seems like an interesting idea, but there would have to be a ton of rules/guidelines in place in order to make it fair, competitive, and fun.

If we get the mass that would ultimately prove my hypothesis wrong, Id like to have a spot as Elite 4 member. I already have a theme going: Gentle giants

i'd definintely be interested, but i'm not really competitive so it'd just be for fun (IV's and EV's and such are foreign concepts to me...my brother tried to explain, but it just went over my head)

i'd be interested in making a mouse team ^^ (hence the handle)

Well, I don't know about some of the teams people seem to want to make. It's more of a type team not an animal team.

If we go with an animal theme then the actual types may vary and not being like the gym leaders in the game.

Unless you find an animal type that has the same type. Say for the person who said they would make a monkey team, well Mankey/Primeape is a fighting type, Infernape is a Fire/Fight and so on, that would be ok I'd say. For the most part the majority of the team should be the same type, I still think at least one pokemon in that team can be whatever type as long as one move is of the same type.

Some may not agree, but there are regular gym leaders/elite four that have a pokemon of a different type (Flint with Lopunny in his fire team, cause Lopunny know Fire Punch or Price is an ice-type but had Seel who is only a water type....yes I know it evolves into an Ice-type, but you know what I am saying.)

I would love to be a Fire-type gym leader. I have always loved my fire-types. Can't say I have much time right now, but I do like this idea.

I do agree, gym leaders should not be able to switch their team or lead as someone said earlier, and must always start with the same lead each battle. After all, yeah I guess they shouldn't be unbeatable.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']Well, I don't know about some of the teams people seem to want to make. It's more of a type team not an animal team.

If we go with an animal theme then the actual types may vary and not being like the gym leaders in the game.

Unless you find an animal type that has the same type. Say for the person who said they would make a monkey team, well Mankey/Primeape is a fighting type, Infernape is a Fire/Fight and so on, that would be ok I'd say. For the most part the majority of the team should be the same type, I still think at least one pokemon in that team can be whatever type as long as one move is of the same type.

Some may not agree, but there are regular gym leaders/elite four that have a pokemon of a different type (Flint with Lopunny in his fire team, cause Lopunny know Fire Punch or Price is an ice-type but had Seel who is only a water type....yes I know it evolves into an Ice-type, but you know what I am saying.)

I would love to be a Fire-type gym leader. I have always loved my fire-types. Can't say I have much time right now, but I do like this idea.

I do agree, gym leaders should not be able to switch their team or lead as someone said earlier, and must always start with the same lead each battle. After all, yeah I guess they shouldn't be unbeatable.[/QUOTE]

I think we were only applying themes to E4 members

I think you should be able to change your team as a leader, maybe have a restriction like once a month or so. But, to be locked into one team period ... I dunno, things change and maybe your initial team has some flaws that you didn't see at first so you wanna' fix em. (I know it is all a moot point as the leaders will almost always get rolled just because of mono-typing, but still)

Well, that's when you get someone who made a new type team challenge you to take over the gym. Then you are able to change your team up :p

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']Well, that's when you get someone who made a new type team challenge you to take over the gym. Then you are able to change your team up :p[/QUOTE]

Meh, to challenge a gym you have to have beaten them all (at least thats what it sounds like it is going to be to me). I am guessing we are going for eight? Who is to say that your gym will be challenged for ownership? Maybe if we had a whole bunch of people, but I don't see this getting all that big.

Why don't we want leaders changing their teams up anyway?

It seems to me that it would be fine for a gym leader to change his or her team as long as the challengers knew about the changes beforehand. After all, if the challenger has to create a whole team specifically to defeat one gym that that's a pretty tough gym.

Regarding the gym leader changing teams, etc... Again, it all depends on how much you want to bias things towards the challenger or gym leader. IMO, I think things should favor the challenger. Locking the gym leaders into 1 team is beneficial for a few reasons.
1. Standardization. Suppose you beat Gym Leader Brock today. Tomorrow, he changes up his team and makes it way tougher. Challenger Ash beats Brock's new stronger team. Even though you both have the Boulder Badge, Ash worked a lot harder to get it.
2. Fun for the widest audience possible. In general, I figure the gym leaders are going to be competi-dorks anyway. They're already taking on the handicap of being mono-type. It'll be a fun challenge for the gym leaders to make the best possible team, knowing they can't change it. If they overlooked a flaw, that's their own shortcoming. By locking gym leaders into a team, it also gives challengers a priori knowledge of what to expect. It can be a fun exercise too in figuring out a winning strategy against said gym leader. Sort of like a chess puzzle.

Anyway... I'm biased towards the challengers and would prefer more casual players have fun with it too. Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='yayece']Regarding the gym leader changing teams, etc... Again, it all depends on how much you want to bias things towards the challenger or gym leader. IMO, I think things should favor the challenger. Locking the gym leaders into 1 team is beneficial for a few reasons.
1. Standardization. Suppose you beat Gym Leader Brock today. Tomorrow, he changes up his team and makes it way tougher. Challenger Ash beats Brock's new stronger team. Even though you both have the Boulder Badge, Ash worked a lot harder to get it.
2. Fun for the widest audience possible. In general, I figure the gym leaders are going to be competi-dorks anyway. They're already taking on the handicap of being mono-type. It'll be a fun challenge for the gym leaders to make the best possible team, knowing they can't change it. If they overlooked a flaw, that's their own shortcoming. By locking gym leaders into a team, it also gives challengers a priori knowledge of what to expect. It can be a fun exercise too in figuring out a winning strategy against said gym leader. Sort of like a chess puzzle.

Anyway... I'm biased towards the challengers and would prefer more casual players have fun with it too. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

Anyone should be able to beat a mono type team. I am going against a water team, I will stack electric/grass type attacks. Have a little variety in case you get thrown a curveball but go heavy on their weakness and it should be easy. I would wager you could take 6 freshly caught wild pokemon and a handful of TM's and beat most mono teams. (pretty sure the game auto-levels you to 100 for wifi battles right?)

And I am pretty casual feeling this way, never done a single online battle.

Keep thing that Kaoz.
Go to the Battle Recorder staion on the top floor og the GTS.
Look up the video Number :19-79577-84529

This is from the League on GG.net.
One is the Psychic Vs the Ice.

Remember the gym leader EV trains and works a team really well.
These arent the Pokemon gyms in the game.

I think having different pokemon and not the same line up makes it more fun.
Also each gym leader makes there own rules like not having more than 1 or 2 of the same type to prevent stacking, We want this fun for both the trainer and the gym leader.

Also remember there is alot of duel types and unlike the leaders in the game we can use what ever moves we want.

[quote name='adriley313']Keep thing that Kaoz.
Go to the Battle Recorder staion on the top floor og the GTS.
Look up the video Number :19-79577-84529

This is from the League on GG.net.
One is the Psychic Vs the Ice.

Remember the gym leader EV trains and works a team really well.
These arent the Pokemon gyms in the game.

I think having different pokemon and not the same line up makes it more fun.
Also each gym leader makes there own rules like not having more than 1 or 2 of the same type to prevent stacking, We want this fun for both the trainer and the gym leader.

Also remember there is alot of duel types and unlike the leaders in the game we can use what ever moves we want.[/QUOTE]

You cant stack a bunch of fire types vs a grass gym sure, but are you gonna say, you cant use a fighting type who knows fire punch? Or a _______ that knows _______. Just cause you can't use all the type advantage, doesn't mean you can't stack your move pool.

As for the leader EVing and working a team well, that is kind of my point. To get to a point where you work your team very well I would imagine it would need to be changed around a bit. I doubt anyone hits gold on their first set. (I was looking at a smogon thread. Changing the meta game in 2007 and beyond. Where he was using a Roselia lead, and it looked pretty interesting. Then I looked at how his original team was, and how different his *final* team was, to the point that the original team looked a good bit worse in comparison.)

I am not saying that it is a hopeless fight for the gym leaders, but just that they are at a huge disadvantage. And I don't really see a need to further handicap them. Dual-types help for sure, that's kind of what I was thinking when I said have a little variety in case you get thrown a curveball.

I like the idea though, just voicing my opinion that I don't think leaders should be locked into one team from start to finish. (But at the same time, I can see the point in limiting how often they can change, hence my once a month idea.) This will be my last post on the subject; I will just agree to disagree with people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have seven EV trained water-type pokemon. However, I'd like to train two or three more and fiddle around with a six pokemon line-up a bit before sticking to one. As long as a challenger knows what to expect, even if it's different from what they had to expect a few weeks ago, they have the advantage. And I know personally, if someone had to tailor a team to specifically beat my team I'd take that as a compliment to my team's construction.

Of course if people are walking all over a gym leader's team something has to change, but they shouldn't be unbeatable.

[quote name='Kaoz']You cant stack a bunch of fire types vs a grass gym sure, but are you gonna say, you cant use a fighting type who knows fire punch? Or a _______ that knows _______. Just cause you can't use all the type advantage, doesn't mean you can't stack your move pool.

As for the leader EVing and working a team well, that is kind of my point. To get to a point where you work your team very well I would imagine it would need to be changed around a bit. I doubt anyone hits gold on their first set. (I was looking at a smogon thread. Changing the meta game in 2007 and beyond. Where he was using a Roselia lead, and it looked pretty interesting. Then I looked at how his original team was, and how different his *final* team was, to the point that the original team looked a good bit worse in comparison.)

I am not saying that it is a hopeless fight for the gym leaders, but just that they are at a huge disadvantage. And I don't really see a need to further handicap them. Dual-types help for sure, that's kind of what I was thinking when I said have a little variety in case you get thrown a curveball.

I like the idea though, just voicing my opinion that I don't think leaders should be locked into one team from start to finish. (But at the same time, I can see the point in limiting how often they can change, hence my once a month idea.) This will be my last post on the subject; I will just agree to disagree with people.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty it shouldn't be your last post on the subject. I think disagreement is one thing this thread will be good for unlike many others who just end up going back and forth and serve no purpose. In this case it does serve a purpose. I mean if people will go for something like this on CAG then it is useful to see someone's side of it, even if it is not what they personally think.

I mean I for example might not think we should keep changing our team, but I can see why it would be good for them to do that, after all as you said, the initial team might not be as good.

I do think we should stick to a type of gym. Now I don't mean if you're a fire trainer all must be fire, dual types of course to help out. Also, none of those legendaries I think would be good to limit. I do think at least one or two pokemon can belong to a typed gym as long as they are able to learn a type move. Such as the examples mentioned in a prior post, game gym leaders do the same at times.

Another thing I wouldn't mind is say, put a team together, let the one in charge know what your moveset is and pokemon, but do not let the public know. This way it will be like the days before guides online and books were available. See people writing info down on the pokemon and sharing. Also, whoever will be in charge will know what the moveset is and the pokemon they have so as not to be changing the team on anyone. At least this will help in keeping the team ok for some time. Just like the man inside each gym, you will at least know what main type you will be dealing with from a clue.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe'][quote name='Kaoz']This will be my last post on the subject; I will just agree to disagree with people.[/QUOTE]In all honesty it shouldn't be your last post on the subject. I think disagreement is one thing this thread will be good for unlike many others who just end up going back and forth and serve no purpose. In this case it does serve a purpose. I mean if people will go for something like this on CAG then it is useful to see someone's side of it, even if it is not what they personally think.
[/QUOTE]
I agree with this. Isn't the point of this thread to flesh out ideas, and come up with something that the majority likes? We might as well figure out will work best.

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']Another thing I wouldn't mind is say, put a team together, let the one in charge know what your moveset is and pokemon, but do not let the public know. This way it will be like the days before guides online and books were available. See people writing info down on the pokemon and sharing. Also, whoever will be in charge will know what the moveset is and the pokemon they have so as not to be changing the team on anyone. At least this will help in keeping the team ok for some time. Just like the man inside each gym, you will at least know what main type you will be dealing with from a clue. [/QUOTE]
I like this idea too. :) If you challenge and lose, then you'll have gained some insider information for your next attempt. But again, it relies on the gym leader not changing his/her team.

Another bit we should try and explore more is the gym takeover... Some people mentioned not liking the idea, but I'm not sure why. Should someone be able to hold a gym indefinitely? If no, then we need a good meritocracy based way of doing takeover challenges. In this case, I think the takeover challenge should be as even as possible. Yet, a priori knowledge of the incumbent's team gives a big advantage... Not sure of a good way around that.

I like all the talk in this thread.
Keep them coming as these will help the final model.

Lineup Changes- I agree with telling the Chairmans what your team is and to make sure its legit. I think maybe each leader should have 2 subs to keep it fun an keep the challengers guessing. That way you never know what your going up againist.

Hacking- There will be no hacked pokemon by gym leaders and challengers, We want to keep this fun and when hacked pokemon are used you cant record the video. We can upload videos of battles and upcoming challengers can see what the gym leader looks like. Then you can prepare you team accordingly.

I was thinking 10 gyms and 4 elite four memebers. Gyms are type based and E4 are theme based. Or if you have a better idea for a gym just post it. Im making a team of Flyers for another league so I may take that or Psy or and Elite Four Eevee team. Who knows.

I think gym leaders challenge needs a lot of thought put in it. Maybe if you beat the E4 you prove youself a worthy trainer and can then challenge a gym. But maybe gyms can only be challenged once a month and you have to use the same type as that gym proving that your a better ie Water trainer than the current one is.

I agree with a Gym Leader cant switch pokemon in a batlle, like they do in the TV shows. But the E4 is a higher class and can maybe.

Keep the ideas coming and we will work to see where this goes.
Also if anyone has tons of spare time and wants to help make this happen please let me know.

Adriley, one thing I think wouldn't work.

I do not recommend you make videos of the gym leaders. The challengers are supposed to go into this only knowing the type/theme and nothing else

[quote name='adriley313']We want to keep this fun and when hacked pokemon are used you cant record the video.

I agree with a Gym Leader cant switch pokemon in a batlle, like they do in the TV shows. But the E4 is a higher class and can maybe.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure what you mean by either of these.

I highly doubt 10 gyms would work out especially since we don't even have that many people contributing here so you will be the challenger?

And i still think gym types should be only limited to pokemon of that type, since Dragonite can learn aqua tail and i don't think it should be on a water gym team.

bread's done
Back