Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='SilverPaw750']This thread is scaring me; I ordered a 360 from overstock yesterday, but decided against a warranty, because I figured most of the problematic 360's were in the launch (2005) batch. Do more recently produced 360's still have lots of problems? If so, what are warranty options?[/QUOTE]

To my (admittedly limited) knowledge, most recently manufactured 360's are better off than the launch batch, but still not guaranteed 100%.

im considering getting a xbox 360, but in my opinion this is bullshit! why cant just make a 360 that is actually reliable and doesnt fucking die randomly its a waste of money if the system wont last....

[quote name='SilverPaw750']This thread is scaring me; I ordered a 360 from overstock yesterday, but decided against a warranty, because I figured most of the problematic 360's were in the launch (2005) batch. Do more recently produced 360's still have lots of problems? If so, what are warranty options?[/quote]

You have 10 days from date of purchase to buy an extended warantee from Microsoft for about $60. The info on that will be in the xbox box. I highly suggest doing this. It comes with a 90 day warantee. Years ago when computers would go down right and left there was a common wisdom that said you should leave it on for the first week to see if anything breaks. Maybe we should start doing this with the 360s to see if they are prone to failure.

FYI, The 360 I got last month failed after 5 days.

How long does it take to ship an empty box to you? Its been 3 days sofar, isnt it supposed to be overnigthed?

fuck, have GoW, and all these new fucking demos coming out now.

[quote name='umcthomas']You have 10 days from date of purchase to buy an extended warantee from Microsoft for about $60. The info on that will be in the xbox box. I highly suggest doing this. It comes with a 90 day warantee. Years ago when computers would go down right and left there was a common wisdom that said you should leave it on for the first week to see if anything breaks. Maybe we should start doing this with the 360s to see if they are prone to failure.

FYI, The 360 I got last month failed after 5 days.[/quote]Might be YMMV on how many days you have to get the extended. I called MS about 100 days after I bought mine and was still able to get the extended warranty with no questions asked. Doesn't hurt to get it as soon as you can though.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']How long does it take to ship an empty box to you? Its been 3 days sofar, isnt it supposed to be overnigthed?

fuck, have GoW, and all these new fucking demos coming out now.[/quote] Took 5 business days for my box to arrive. I called on a Saturday, didn't receive the box until the following Friday.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']How long does it take to ship an empty box to you? Its been 3 days sofar, isnt it supposed to be overnigthed?

fuck, have GoW, and all these new fucking demos coming out now.[/QUOTE]
I have been waiting since 10/31....:bomb:

[quote name='umcthomas']You have 10 days from date of purchase to buy an extended warantee from Microsoft for about $60.[/quote]

Since my 360 was manufactured between certain dates I got 1 free repair, and the customer support person on the phone gave me a 2 year warranty for 50$. I don't know if this is for every occasion but that's what happened to me.

[quote name='MGoBlue']My refurb that I received 2 days ago just died. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I got mine a week ago and the Audio is all fucked up on it......Microsoft seriously needs to be sued for this

This just happened to me today
360redlights1.jpg

360redlights2.jpg

Yup, my 360 broke. I was playing Dead or Alive 4, and on the 3rd match, I was Kasumi, playing against Christy, and my 360 froze. So I ejected the game and turned off the console. I turned it back on the first time and got no response (no lights). I turned it back on again, and I got the results shown above. I waited a little while, turned the 360 back on, and it ended up working. I decided to play DoA4 again, and the game ended up freezing on the first match, with me as Kasumi playing against Christy again. At first, I just thought it was Team Ninja infecting my 360, so I played Ridge Racer 6. RR6 seem just fine, but on the countdown, I heard 3, 2, and then the console froze, where I could see a 2 and a 1. I just ejected the disc, turned off the console, and that's it.

MS is now 0/2 on consoles, since my Xbox gave me tons of problems (had it repaired twice, and it still gives me problems now). My Sony consoles/handhelds continue to work flawless (and I even play them more) and never had a problem with a Nintendo console/handheld (other than the NES).

My 360 is eligible for free repairs, but I'm kind of pissed because it's going to take a while to get it fixed (I live in two homes right now, which makes shipping stuff difficult). I was looking forward to renting a few games (like Gears of War, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.), but now I can't. I'm probably never buying another multi-platform game for my 360, since I had to do that with my original Xbox, due to so many problems with it (where I bought them for PS2 or GC, even if inferior, since they would at least work every time).

well mine took a big turd last night. ive never had it freeze or shut down or anything, just went to turn it on and got the rings. sucks.

SWEET! MS Just sent me in a refund for my repair. Instead of only giving me back 32 bucks (the amount I negotiated the repair price) They gave me the full value back ($139.90). most excellent :D

Well, my 360 finally gave out last week. I get no red rings of death and in fact I can play games fine on it but not a single USB port is functioning properly and I can no longer get on Live (I am hard wired directly to my router which seems to be working fine). The coffin should be here this week. This is the first time I've ever had a console break - my PS2 wouldn't play blue bottom discs but I traded it in for a PStwo with no problems.

What happens if the refurb console breaks? Are you SOL at that point or is there some sort of warranty with those?

[quote name='javeryh']What happens if the refurb console breaks? Are you SOL at that point or is there some sort of warranty with those?[/QUOTE]

Refurbs get a 90 day warranty and you have the option of getting the extended warranty. My refurb lasted 2 days.

[quote name='MGoBlue']Refurbs get a 90 day warranty and you have the option of getting the extended warrany. My refurb lasted 2 days.[/quote]

Do you know how much the extended warranty costs and how long it lasts?

[quote name='javeryh']Do you know how much the extended warranty costs and how long it lasts?[/QUOTE]

I think it $49.95 for 2 years.

Well mine just died this morning.....

I've never had a problem with it and I have not moved the system since launch. I put the Family Guy Season 4 Part 2 Disc 3 in and let it run in the DVD menu for a few, I noticed it froze. I turned off the system and turned it back on and during the XBOX logo on boot it froze, giving a red and black checkerboard screen. Sometimes it would boot in XBOX menu sometimes not, but everytime it froze I got that checkerboard screen. Did the normal unplug everything plug it back in the same thing. I called Microsoft and during that time on the phone I was able to get in Gears of War fine and play for a bit and even put the DVD back in and watch it. I was able to extend my warranty also which I did (I never had one before and thank god for microsoft for extending their warranty for launch systems)

I turned the sytem on this morning it froze in the menu in about 1 minute, off and one and it froze during the logo screen again, off and on third time and it was the first time I saw the 3 red lights, wooooo this sucks

[quote name='spoo']Has anyone received a coffin in the last 3 weeks or does MS really hate me?[/QUOTE]
i've been waiting over a week for my box, i'm about to call again and see whats the hold up.

[quote name='spoo']Has anyone received a coffin in the last 3 weeks or does MS really hate me?[/QUOTE]

Call them back and make sure its coming. The first time I called the guy told me they'd send out a box in 3-5 days. I called back two days later and a different rep said they were waiting for me to send the 360 in. Luckily, she was pretty good so she escalated it and I got my box two days later. Sent the 360 in yesterday, hopefully by early next week I'll have it back.

She said that they recently changed their policy and some reps are still confused. Apparently they send you a box ONLY if you have the 2 year plan (or I guess if you escalate the call enough). If the rep doesn't specifically mark that the box needs to be sent out, its automatically set to wait for your console to arrive.

I got pissed and sick of waiting so I bought a core last week anyway. The way things are going, my refurb will probably break down too, so at least I'll have a spare in the closet so I can keep playing.

And I was just sooo happy when I found that system at launch...

[quote name='jalu6']Call them back and make sure its coming. The first time I called the guy told me they'd send out a box in 3-5 days. I called back two days later and a different rep said they were waiting for me to send the 360 in. Luckily, she was pretty good so she escalated it and I got my box two days later. Sent the 360 in yesterday, hopefully by early next week I'll have it back.

She said that they recently changed their policy and some reps are still confused. Apparently they send you a box ONLY if you have the 2 year plan (or I guess if you escalate the call enough). If the rep doesn't specifically mark that the box needs to be sent out, its automatically set to wait for your console to arrive.

I got pissed and sick of waiting so I bought a core last week anyway. The way things are going, my refurb will probably break down too, so at least I'll have a spare in the closet so I can keep playing.

And I was just sooo happy when I found that system at launch...[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info I have called them (I may have called them more then was necessary.)

You can read my ongoing MS customer service story here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2336972&postcount=344
I was wondering if everyone is having problems with getting a boxed shipped out in the past few weeks or I'm just having some real shitty luck.

[quote name='memsg']i've been waiting over a week for my box, i'm about to call again and see whats the hold up.[/QUOTE]
Let me know what your status is. I had to reorder a box last Monday and when I asked "Will I have my box by next Monday?" he assured me that I should have it last Friday and no later then Monday :roll: It was a "Supervisor" I even talked to. As far as I can tell from my tracking # it still hasn't been shipped out or was just shipped out today. " Status: Billing Information Received"

Finally happened. I was sure my launch day Xbox 360 would never die, and then it did. Sure, they are gonna pick it up and fix it, but I just beat Gears of War on "I am a little bitch" difficulty, and I wanted to restore my manhood by trying to get through it on a harder level. Now I have to wait. Damn you Microsoft. My Redskins faceplate will shiver in cold loneliness while his host is gone.

alright there has to be something up with that last update or either Gears.
My brothers died last wed. night and mine just died like seriously 5 mins ago. I don't even care to much since i bought the warranty from Best Buy, however, this it suckst that I left the damn warranty up at school in the actual 360 box and it is 2 and a half hours away and i am not going back for til tuesday. fuck !!!!!

[quote name='mvp828']alright there has to be something up with that last update or either Gears.
My brothers died last wed. night and mine just died like seriously 5 mins ago. I don't even care to much since i bought the warranty from Best Buy, however, this it suckst that I left the damn warranty up at school in the actual 360 box and it is 2 and a half hours away and i am not going back for til tuesday. fuck!!!!![/QUOTE]

don't they have that info in their computer system?

[quote name='Michaellvortega']don't they have that info in their computer system?[/QUOTE]
yea they should at worst the might need the ticket number from your receipt.
just take the bare core in and swap it, thats what i did today.

unfortunately everything is up at school, the box and receipt and the whole shabangy bang.

also another weird circumstance is that i bought the warranty from BB and i originally had the core edition, but when that crapped out microsoft sent me the premium, so hopefully the BB worker won't be so observant and won't notce the difference

edit: wow just noticed that in my first post the f-bomb doesn't get switched to shaq-fu if you type it in capitals.

[quote name='dmes65']What causes the 3 rings? Just curious if it is an easy fix or not.[/QUOTE]

3 rings means its a hardware failure. Some people have claimed that theres the "heat gun fix" (google it if you want) but thats found to be temporary at best and it voids your warranty.

[quote name='mvp828']edit: wow just noticed that in my first post the f-bomb doesn't get switched to shaq-fu if you type it in capitals.[/quote] fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Huh. That's funny.

I'm going on 5 weeks with my Launch day Xbox.....now refurb.....waiting to go back. I told M$ I was going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I got not ONE....not TWO......but THREE Coffins sent to me

[quote name='lowgear26']I'm going on 5 weeks with my Launch day Xbox.....now refurb.....waiting to go back. I told M$ I was going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I got not ONE....not TWO......but THREE Coffins sent to me[/QUOTE]
Now I know where my box went ;)

Hey guys. On Wednesday I joined the " my 360 broked" club. I talked to a CSR today and got all the information I need to ship my 360 except for one thing. What is the name of the place they get shipped to? I know it's in McAllen, Texas but what is the place called? Is it just Repair Center or is it something else? Thanks in advance.

[quote name='cgarb84']Hey guys. On Wednesday I joined the " my 360 broked" club. I talked to a CSR today and got all the information I need to ship my 360 except for one thing. What is the name of the place they get shipped to? I know it's in McAllen, Texas but what is the place called? Is it just Repair Center or is it something else? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]
Repair center
Dock 18 ste a
5700 S. intl pkwy
mcallen tx 78503

Memorized. JK, was going to send out today, but local ups store is closed till monday. Guess ill wait till then.

My refurbed box is still going strong, BUT my friend just got a new 360 from the micro center sale. We loaded up PGR3, worked fine. COD3, freezes every 5 minutes as well as COD2 freezing. The system is hot as hell in the back. The person on the phone said to ship it to them but refused to send a prepaid box which I felt was pretty out of line. They didnt get a protection plan or anything but its under the 90 day warranty, and its 6 hours old!

It sucks to see that units made in september 2006 are having problems that release systems are having. Whats MS' problem? Im trying to get this guy to get the system so we can play, getting MS another customer, but the guys are sitting around with a thumb up thier ass not fixing this heating issue and then not bending over backwards to keep a customer whos on the verge of just returning the system and never buying thier products again.

My second 360 (first was purchased in March and replaced in April) just got the red ring of death today in R6V. I'm so pissed. I have 13,300 points worth of arcade games that will have to be re-downloaded because they're linked to both the gamertag and the console.. this means that I can play the full versions but my wife can't.

Going to be awesome trying to get those back... the worst part about all of this isn't waiting for the console to be repaired, but talking to the clueless douchebags at MS.

Looks like I might be going on my fifth 360 if this annoying grinding noise persists with the disc drive. It runs normally for about an hour then it just makes a loud noise from the disc drive constantly. Going into the dashboard kills it. Anyway, none of the games are scratched so it must be a part that's grinding. It sucks. :(

I feel all of your pain. I am currently on my 4th 360 and I have a bad feeling this one os going to break as well. It seems like the system just shuts down and then i get a dirty disc error. It can't be the discs because it has happened on several games. I love the 360 but this whole situation makes me hate it. Does anyone know if the warranty is transferable if I were to sell it. If 1 more of these damn thigns breaks on me I am just going to call it quits.

Just got a red light on my 360 this afternoon...it came up as the bottom right corner one.

Screen had a black screen of death showing an E74 error, and to contact MS tech support. I was pretty miffed at that point. After further investigation as to what the e47 code means...it turns it is pointing to "faulty AV cable or AV decoder". Rebooted the machine, and have been playing it all day with no further problems.

Is this a taste of things to come? I sure hope not...

[quote name='JDMxB']Just got a red light on my 360 this afternoon...it came up as the bottom right corner one.

Screen had a black screen of death showing an E74 error, and to contact MS tech support. I was pretty miffed at that point. After further investigation as to what the e47 code means...it turns it is pointing to "faulty AV cable or AV decoder". Rebooted the machine, and have been playing it all day with no further problems.

Is this a taste of things to come? I sure hope not...[/QUOTE]

It is possible its the AV cable. Usually system death is signified by 3 lights. I believe 1 light can be fixed. If the entire circle shows up, that means the AV cord isn't plugged in, so make sure it's nice and tight in the back of the console.

My console supposedly shipped on Saturday from the repair center. I should receive it on Wednesday. After my debacle with the retarded service rep was fixed, the entire process didn't take very long. I just hope the refurb I get soon works. and I can go back to normal usage.

Mine's broken after having it since 2/5/06 but with heavy use. It was manufactured on 12-11-2005, ad it's been freezing occasionally for the past couple months. Today it completely stopped working as it will either freeze after being on for about a minute or during the startup screen where the 360 logo pops up. I'm also getting the 3 red lights constantly, so it's time to get a new one. I tried taking out the hard drive and changing it's postions but it still doesn't work. My 1 year warranty from GameCrazy is still in effect, so I'll use that instead of going through Microsoft.

[quote name='Morpheus']Looks like I might be going on my fifth 360 if this annoying grinding noise persists with the disc drive. It runs normally for about an hour then it just makes a loud noise from the disc drive constantly. Going into the dashboard kills it. Anyway, none of the games are scratched so it must be a part that's grinding. It sucks. :([/quote]

When I got my refurbed box back a couple weeks ago, there was a loud rumble sound whenever the disc spun to play a game. I inspected my xbox and found that the chrome on the dvd drive was vibrating against the faceplate (original white one). I put a piece of scotch tape over it which made it stop. In seeking a more permanent fix, I took the face plate off to look at the chrome-disc drive attachment. I was going to superglue it or something, but I couldn't see a good way to do it. Anyway, I re-attached the faceplate, and it's been gone ever since. Now my system is about as quiet as my original one. Hope that helps.

I just got my coffin yesterday but now I don't think I need it. My 360's USB ports were not working for a while and I couldn't connect to Live but after about 5 days it magically fixed itself. Now I don't know what to do with the box. Should I send it in anyway and then spend $50 to cover it for 2 more years or just take the chance that it won't break again?

OK, I don't want to read this 22 page thread to find this out. Is your gamercard/score saved on your HD or XBL server or what? If I exchange my xbox will I lose all of this?

Also, I bought my 360 off Overstock and the Overstock return period has ended. I know it's jacked up but to avoid going through Microsoft could I buy a 360 at bestbuy and switch out the consoles and just return it and say it has a faulty drive....because technically it does. Do they check VIN numbers, would they notice it wasnt the exact console? Either way, it gets sent back to microsoft broken, just saves me time on shipping.

[quote name='Morph06']OK, I don't want to read this 22 page thread to find this out. Is your gamercard/score saved on your HD or XBL server or what? If I exchange my xbox will I lose all of this?

Also, I bought my 360 off Overstock and the Overstock return period has ended. I know it's jacked up but to avoid going through Microsoft could I buy a 360 at bestbuy and switch out the consoles and just return it and say it has a faulty drive....because technically it does. Do they check VIN numbers, would they notice it wasnt the exact console? Either way, it gets sent back to microsoft broken, just saves me time on shipping.[/quote]

You aren't supposed to send in your hard drive with your xbox. Also, your gamercard and score are tied to yout username which is saved on the servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back