Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='SharpShooter']this is the 2nd time that my 360 got the lights of death on it. The first time i had to pay $160 to get it fixed. then M$ sent me a check few months down the road for that amount. As of today it got it again. They said it would cost $160 and after being on the phone telling them how this the 2nd time that it has happend to me and i don't want to pay $160 again for it. the lady said well since you already paid before you only have to pay $100 and you will get another one year warranty on it and 2 more months of xbox live all for $100. I only had the system for less then a year before it died again.[/QUOTE]
if you had it less than a year wouldnt that still be under the 1 year warranty?

[quote name='paz9x']if you had it less than a year wouldnt that still be under the 1 year warranty?[/quote]

Initially, 360's had a 90 day warranty.

Mine is a launch unit direct from Microsoft. Since it came from PR, I'm waiting on them to see if they can help without having to deal with BS Customer Support. I was playing Castlevania: SotN, and it froze, with checkered static all along the screen, then wouldn't restart (3 red rings).

A few days later, it was working, but did the same thing with Aegis Wing. Today, I got it to go and it froze on Def Jam Icon (playing to make sure it wasn't only with Xbox Live Arcade stuff). The weird thing is, it was fine downloading both Pac-Man Championship and Catan earlier today.

Any of this seem familiar to anyone else? A pre-diagnosis diagnosis would be nice.

i was unable to find this with my primitive search abilities.

after a bit of playing, maybe 30-60 minutes i get flickering lines all over the place, and the graphics get fuzzy with bright speckles. it only happens on game graphics. if i hit my guide button the blade looks fine. also in gears for example, if i hit pause and that window comes up in the center of the screen it looks ok. anybody had this or know what it is? i wanna be able to tell the bb people when i take it in.
it does it over component and vga connections.

Called today about the status of my power brick that I was SUPPOSED to receive "early this week", which of course, I did not get. I was told it was still at the service center and had not been shipped out yet, but they are replacing it with a brand new one which will arrived Thursday or Friday of next week. For my inconvience I get a free copy of Kameo, boy, that sure makes it all better. 6 weeks with a fucking paper weight and I get a game I can buy at EBGames for $10. There are literally no words to describe how angry and disappointed I am with this entire ordeal. It started on April 26th and will not be "fixed" till atleast next Thursday. Sigh.

Wait till the next Xbox and MS wonders why so many people hold off on it due to their crap build quality and responce to it. All the things they could have taken care of by handling this mess.

[quote name='Thongsy']UPS must love MS. I wonder how much they've made off of this.[/QUOTE]
The UPS Store gets a dollar per drop off. :)

Well after two weeks and a grand total of 3 hours played, my refurbished XBOX that I got back from MS to replace my original launch 360, is going back to McAllen, TX with graphical distortions. Requested the coffin on Friday, so who knows when I'll get it. This is total BS!!!

At first, they weren't going to take it back. The CSR wanted me to take my XBOX to any game store so that they could test the cables, as they think its a problem with them. So I calmly explained that it worked for my Original system, it worked for this POS until I called it in. But they insisted that it was the cable, so they then told me to buy a new set of cables. To which I responeded, no. If it is the cable then you will send me a new one. The CSR laughed...So that just set me off... I demanded that they send me a box to take this one back, that they refund my 105 that I paid to get my original one fixed, that they look through every single 360 that they have sitting in the repair warehouse, which I'm sure is more than the 3% repair rate that they claim, and find my original one that I sent in and give it back (Don't know why I said this, probably just to be a smarta$$). And then I requested a refund on the 2+ years that I have left on XBOX Live, and all the games and accessories that I purchased within the last 30 days ( I have all the receipts) so that I can purchase a PS3 (I already have one, but he didn't need to know). And if he wasn't going to do it, then I suggested that he gets his supervisor on the phone, so I could tell him the same thing. And if his supervisor wasn't available, then I want the Supervisors, supervisor....

So, in summary, they are indeed going to send a coffin to take this back and fix it.

I must say, my faith in MS and the 360 is waning. Until now, I never had a bad thing to say.

The horrible thing is that the games on the system are a blast...they just need to give us reliable systems. As for the requesteing a refund for your games and XBL, i've thought about the same thing if my 360 breaks again. No reason why these consoles should be failing at such large rates.

[quote name='SynGamer']The horrible thing is that the games on the system are a blast...they just need to give us reliable systems. As for the requesteing a refund for your games and XBL, i've thought about the same thing if my 360 breaks again. No reason why these consoles should be failing at such large rates.[/quote]

I know there is no way that they would refund anything, but I'll tell you this. It will definately make me seriously consider buying all the multi-console release games like Assassin's Creed, GTA 4 and DMC4 for the PS3 instead of the 360. Acheivements aren't worth the headache of a broken console.

Well, sadly, i don't have enough for a PS3, so all i have is the 360. But something tells me MS will be under a lot [more] heat this year with the number of 360's that have been failing.

I have a complaint sitting right in front of me. It's Kevin Ray V. Microsoft corp, a Class action suit on behalf of people who were bricked on the fall 2006 update. It was filed, but later pulled by the plaintiff for unknown reasons.
Ground for the complaint are 1. Breach of contract 2. Violation of RCW 19.86 the consumer protection act 3. negligence

This could be rewritten for specific problems related to overheating or whatever. You just need a big bankroll to hire some expert witnesses in the consumer electronics area (engineers) to show Xbox360's fail at a alarming rate. Orgainising the affected users would also be a bit of a challenge.

I'm searching around for some corporate emails. Problems are one thing, but jerking people around in the warranty process is another.

I was told my box would arrive in 3-5 days. It took 6 days to even ship out, and another 4 to arrive assuming UPS tracking ends up being accurate. I guess that free month of live will be needed since it appears I will be out of a console for close to a month.

My 360 broke on May 25th. Coffin arrived on June 1 and sent out the same day. M$ got the coffin on 6th. Repair Center got it on the evening of the 7th. According to M$, it might be back here on the 18th. 24 days without it. If this thing breaks again, I will debate on getting out of the 360 scene. Though my warranty expires in November of 08.

M$ said they have a backlog of work at the service center blamed on call-offs and UPS. They said I am looking at another 10 days before I will see my 360 again. And they make a excellent product with no more failures then Nintendo or Sony. Funny thing is I have been playing since the 2600 and this is my first console that has ever broke. 2660, Intellivison, Colecovision, C64, Gameboy, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, DS, Dreamcast, PS2, Wii, Saturn....this is my fucking first. M$ told me I have good luck compared to everyone else.

After I got off the phone with them @ 4:30, I got a email @ 5:30 telling me it shipped. Weird.

[quote name='mer71']M$ said they have a backlog of work at the service center blamed on call-offs and UPS. They said I am looking at another 10 days before I will see my 360 again. And they make a excellent product with no more failures then Nintendo or Sony. Funny thing is I have been playing since the 2600 and this is my first console that has ever broke. 2660, Intellivison, Colecovision, C64, Gameboy, NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, DS, Dreamcast, PS2, Wii, Saturn....this is my fucking first. M$ told me I have good luck compared to everyone else.[/quote]

Ha. 360 is the first system to ever break on me, too (Repping NES, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, GBA SP, DS, PSP, Dreamcast, Saturn, PS1, PS2, XBox and Gamecube). My XBox is starting to act up. My PS2 did break.. but that wasn't a Sony error, that was a user error - it fell off my bed. Whoops.

[quote name='Surferflames']You know what's sad?

When the UPS guy knows what the box is for when nowhere on the box does it say microsoft or xbox.[/quote]

LOL.. That's EXACTLY what the UPS guy said to me when I picked up my 360 at the distribution center.
I aksed him how many 360s he's seen do through there... He said he's lost track, but at least several per day on average.

Chiming in. Mine died yesterday, called Microsoft and i'm now waiting for my box to come. I hope it comes soon and the box shortage doesn't delay everything. Needless to say, this sucks.

it's not been a full week since i called. They said it would be 4 days...and i imagine it will be awhile until I get my coffin.

The super I talked to at M$, said the failure rate is normal. I asked about the number breaking and running out of "coffins". He denied both. And he said it is a box, not a coffin. And he said anything posted on the Net/forums is wrong. I called my 360 a paperweight, since it is broken. And he said I am welcomed to use it for whatever I like. But he uses his for gaming. He proceeded to tell make to try and make a console better then a 360. I said why don't you make a more reliable system like Nintendo makes. He said, "Well sir, they do not have the 3 red lights." What a ass!! I wish there was a website that everyone had a broken 360 could list the number. It has to be a high number/percent, more then the normal 3-5%.

[quote name='mer71']The super I talked to at M$, said the failure rate is normal. I asked about the number breaking and running out of "coffins". He denied both. And he said it is a box, not a coffin. And he said anything posted on the Net/forums is wrong. I called my 360 a paperweight, since it is broken. And he said I am welcomed to use it for whatever I like. But he uses his for gaming. He proceeded to tell make to try and make a console better then a 360. I said why don't you make a more reliable system like Nintendo makes. He said, "Well sir, they do not have the 3 red lights." What a ass!! I wish there was a website that everyone had a broken 360 could list the number. It has to be a high number/percent, more then the normal 3-5%.[/quote]

I was considering working on an e-petition. I can get one together here in a few minutes if people would sign and spread the word...

Scratch that, here's the link: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/my-xbox-360-has-failed

I don't really expect this to get very far, but i can edit this to better suit the needs of a general argument.

[quote name='Dingleberry']it's not been a full week since i called. They said it would be 4 days...and i imagine it will be awhile until I get my coffin.[/quote]

Call and say "agent" to get through the voice activated bs. At the very least you can get your tracking number so you don't have to keep hoping it will show up.

[quote name='SynGamer']I was considering working on an e-petition. I can get one together here in a few minutes if people would sign and spread the word...

Scratch that, here's the link: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/my-xbox-360-has-failed

I don't really expect this to get very far, but i can edit this to better suit the needs of a general argument.[/quote]

I signed for fun. Would love just to see how many people sign. Hopefully, they are honest and just not signing multiple times.

[quote name='mer71']I signed for fun. Would love just to see how many people sign. Hopefully, they are honest and just not signing multiple times.[/quote]
Would be nice to see how far this could go. At the current 11,000,000 360's sold/shipped, 5% is 550,000, so i set the goal to 750,000 signatures.

*Edit: i believe the IP address is logged so that shoudl deter multiple signatures.

If i'm on lap 4 out of 5 (Forza 2) and all of a sudden my 360 literally just stops. Shuts down...and then 30 seconds later powers back on. All the while my TV is still on showing me (yet another) blue screen of death...should i be concerned? I mean, it came back on (without my help) and the dashboard was there and all i had to do was start the game again. Played for another hour or so with no problems...

[quote name='Sinistar']LOL.. That's EXACTLY what the UPS guy said to me when I picked up my 360 at the distribution center.
I aksed him how many 360s he's seen do through there... He said he's lost track, but at least several per day on average.[/quote]

Happened to me too, except when it was delivered to my house. I opened the door and the guy is like "Here's your Xbox 360!" and handed me the unmarked white box.

It's funny, yet sad at the same time.

[quote name='SynGamer']I was considering working on an e-petition. I can get one together here in a few minutes if people would sign and spread the word...

I don't really expect this to get very far, but i can edit this to better suit the needs of a general argument.[/QUOTE]

this ones slightly larger.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?360recal&1

another one with stories

http://www.xbox360defective.com/

So I shipped my console out on Monday and it arrived Tuesday at their repair center. Of course, today (Wed) I receive the coffin that was suppose to arrive days ago. I think I'll keep it in case I need to send it back in. At least I'll have the coffin for it!

When I talked to the CS rep yesterday, they said I should get my console back by the middle of next week. I think I'll call today for an update. And tomorrow. And the next day. And the next day. It seems that customers need to keep on top of their repairs to get anything done.

he thing i've been most unhappy with throughout this whole process is the customer service.

I called over a month ago and sat on the phone with someone from India for over an hour and she determines that my power brick is faulty and i need to send it in. I ask if i'll be paid back for the shipping and she said no i ahd to ship it back at my own cost. I tell her i bought an extended warrenty and no where in the agreement does it say powerbricks are not covered. So she says she will send out a pre-paid coffin for the powerbrick. I wait almost two weeks i get nothing.

I call back up and once again i'm on the phone for over an hour and a half this time with someone from India who is beyond unapolgetic and tells me they dont send out boxes for a powerbrick and its at my expense to send it in. I disagree with this, and after a half hour on hold "while she talks to her supervisor" she makes me go through all the hoops to see whats wrong with the system and then proceeds to tell me its the system at fault and not the power brick. She says she will send out a box and i made the request that i do not care how long it takes but i want my xbox 360 back and not a refurb to which she reads so bullshit script that she cant promise that. I ask for a supervisor, after 20 more minutes on hold i finally get to the supervisor who is also very unpologetic and tells me that ahve no say so in that. I tell him thats bullshit and i dont want to be sent and older 360 thats going to ahve other problems and that if i cant get my 360 back i want one with a manufactured date the same or newer. To which he applied that cant be done. Says they will ship the box out and throughout the whole conversation i never got an apology for the first time i called and everything being wrong and waiting around for a box that wasnt coming.

I wait a week, still no box. I have to call AGAIN, still never get an apology and said they will ship out a box and that the other two repair orders never went through. A week and a half later later i finally get the box.

The customer service is the worst i've ever encountered, if this referb they send me is older and breaks in a new way i'm going to flip the fuck out. I really was impressed witht he xbox last generation and chose to buy the 360 based on the quality of my last gen xbox... man that was a huge mistake. After this experience i dont think i will ever buy another microsoft gaming system. The funny thing is i'm not pissed about the system breaking i'm pissed because of the customer service.

I couldn't read the tracking number on my coffin, but if I call Xbox support with my reference number, will they be able to track my system? I dropped it off at UPS on Friday, June 1st.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I couldn't read the tracking number on my coffin, but if I call Xbox support with my reference number, will they be able to track my system? I dropped it off at UPS on Friday, June 1st.[/QUOTE]

Yes.

well I have been on the phone with them for over a month now, with complaints in to the BBB and no luck. I give up. There is no way I am giving them $140 to fix this garbage. I guess I will hold on to it incase there is a lawsuit but I am done with 360. To bad too, I really liked the system but having it crap out in under 2 years because of a update I had to download is unaceptable. then having customer support tell me I cant prove the update did anyhting is what pushed me over the top. im done wasting my time with them...

Got my coffin today and shipped the console out. I was tempted to ask the clerk how many of these they get...but i got scared and didn't say anything. He just kind of saw it and nodded.

Well now I'm pissed. I thought the refurb they sent me was well and good, but I tried playing LOTR:BFME2 last night and it's saying "Insert this disc in an XBOX 360 console to play" or something to that effect. Arcade Unplugged is also not recognized and it seems to struggle with a few others. I'm going through all of my games right now to see what else won't play before I get back on the phone with M$.

UPDATE:

I went through all of my games and here's the results:

Won't read at all:
Viva Pinata
Tony Hawk P8
Perfect Dark
Hitman Blood Money
Madden 07
Arcade Unplugged

Switches to 480p and says "To play this disc, insert it into an xbox 360 Console" in like 8 different languages:

LOTR:BFME2
Oblivion
Tiger Woods 06

So, yeah. Nine of my 30+ games won't play on this replacement. Time to get back on the phone with those a'holes.

Update #2:

Of course, I get an outsourced tech this time that I can hardly understand. This is not going so well this time.

But it looks like another coffin is on it's way. Yippee!

[quote name='sp00ge']Well now I'm pissed. I thought the refurb they sent me was well and good, but I tried playing LOTR:BFME2 last night and it's saying "Insert this disc in an XBOX 360 console to play" or something to that effect.[/quote]

I was getting that error too - my refurb they sent me now seems to be working fine (for now).

When I was getting the error, some games would work, some wouldn't.

Crackdown worked like 50% of the time, when it did, slow load times and a lot of the textures were mission so I would get wallhack effect.. hehe it was nice to be able to see where some hidden orbs were.

EDF 2017 worked, Gears of War didnt, Dead Rising did.. it was weird.

But i'm glad all is working now.

[quote name='Sinistar']I was getting that error too - my refurb they sent me now seems to be working fine (for now).

When I was getting the error, some games would work, some wouldn't.

Crackdown worked like 50% of the time, when it did, slow load times and a lot of the textures were mission so I would get wallhack effect.. hehe it was nice to be able to see where some hidden orbs were.

EDF 2017 worked, Gears of War didnt, Dead Rising did.. it was weird.

But i'm glad all is working now.[/quote]

Yeah, it's getting worse for me. Now getting to even read a disc is hit and miss. Eject and closing will usually work with the ones that won't read at first, but the error message games don't work at all.

Well that was unexpected, refurb I sent back due to scratching the hell out of discs was received on the 13th but they won't be sending it back for 10 business days. I'm taking that with a grain of salt since it sounds like a company line but still i'm surprised, first 360 I sent in was replaced within two days and shipped back.

Well my xbox360 died Thursday morning. Its sucks because this is my third one. The first two were replaced with my extended warranty for Gamecrazy. They offered to sell me another one for this one but I refused due to the fact that M$ raised the warranty period to one year.

Ill probably call monday morning and hopefully have a better response time. I live pretty close to the repair center in Mcallen TX.

[quote name='LiveCrazy_Joe']Well my xbox360 died Thursday morning. Its sucks because this is my third one. The first two were replaced with my extended warranty for Gamecrazy. They offered to sell me another one for this one but I refused due to the fact that M$ raised the warranty period to one year.

Ill probably call monday morning and hopefully have a better response time. I live pretty close to the repair center in Mcallen TX.[/quote]

You should have a quick turnaround. Your city is the last stop my box made before it arrived at McAllen(according to ups).

Update

My xbox360 died last thursday. I called M$ today about the warranty so I could get my coffin sent. It was pretty painless. The Indian guy asked me a bunch of questions about what it was doing. He also asked me if I unplugged the harddrive. I told him I did that and unplugged the power cord and brick as well.

The only problem with the call was that he had a pretty strong accent and the background was really loud. He didnt ask me when or where I bought it which was suprising. I thought I was going to provide a proof of receipt or something. This was my third xbox, the first two were returned to Gamecrazy because I bought their extended warranty. When I got the third one they asked if I wanted another warrany. I refused because M$ had lengthen theirs to one year. He also said I should remove everything from the console including the harddrive and the faceplate. Well at least I wont lose all of my saves this time.

Coffin should be here in 3-5 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back