Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='mtxbass1']I've seen a few elites still get the RRoD. And as far as I know, they haven't put the smaller chips in yet.[/QUOTE]

No, but if you get one made past March or April (up until the current date, as it were), you're getting the new Heatsink... around the earliest build dates the crapshoot odds are less in your favor.

The new and smaller chips I figure are still a few months off, and won't necessarily be advertised as a "feature"....

[quote name='Damian']You want to put a question mark at the end of the subject? I came in looking to see evidence they admitted a disc scratching problem.[/QUOTE]

You probably won't get them to admit that, (Microsoft, I mean), nor will they admit to a systemic problem w/r/t overheating and the RRoD. They'd rather take a $1.5 billion hit, rather than suffer through a recall, I guess. :)

Just look for an elite made in the last couple of months (most places have at least a few of them), and you're getting the new heatsink (Mine has one, and the fellow who ran the website that gave you a non-invasive view of the new heatsink had a March Elite with the new heatsink.... the name of the site escapes me at the moment..)

So I figure the newer the build, the more certain the heatsink issue will be solved... and I assume, though no one's really confirmed it (but it would be stupid not to be), the HDMI Premiums will have the new Heatsink on them as well.

[quote name='Damian']You want to put a question mark at the end of the subject? I came in looking to see evidence they admitted a disc scratching problem.[/quote]Seriously. A few people looking to get a system might not actually read the thread and be misinformed.

Didn't the disc scratching come from people standing their 360 upright and then the disc doesn't get inserted just right...and it gets scratched up. I've also heard of systems crapping out and leaving the disc that was in the tray scratched to death.

Anyway, I think the new 360 elites are safe to buy. Especially if you keep it out in the open. You can't have 360 or PS3 kept in an enclosed space or they'll both over-heat. At least PS3 has a built-in feature to supress the heat if it does begin to over-heat. Mine has a few times (the system starts getting loud as hell and the lights start flashing and stuff..).

I just wanted to know how long I can expect to be 360 less (just got the three red lights). I'm asking because Halo 3 is coming out in about two to three weeks, and I've heard that estimated wait times are approximately two to four weeks. Thanks.

Two to four weeks. Hope that helps.

I just lost mine too, if that makes you feel any better (guessing it won't). I think I'm going to use it as an excuse to upgrade to the Elite and get the bigger hard drive, and sell the replacement system when it's shipped back. Ought to be around the time Halo-mania is in full effect.

Misery loves company...

Bought my 360 last xmas so it's about 9 months old. I'm hardly a serious gamer; I'd estimate I average less than 4 hours a week. This afternoon I went to play a game and a few minutes into it the screen froze, and the controllers were unresponsive. Turned it off and tried again, and it wouldn't get past the initial Xbox 360 screen before it froze. Tried again this evening, same deal. Sometimes it freezes during a game, sometimes during startup. After a few of these cycles I got the dreaded red lights. Unplugged everything, took out the hard drive, and tried it again. It now starts up, but will still freeze.

Called Xbox support and they told me it needs to go back.

I bought it at Microcenter and also bought the extended warranty. I guess I'm not quite sure what happens now. Since it crapped out under Microsoft's warranty, will the extended warranty still apply to the replacement unit I get back?

[quote name='retail sucks']Do you go to "dashboard' before ejecting your disc?[/quote]

That shouldn't matter. The drive is supposed to stop spinning before ejecting, hence the delay before the tray pops out.

[quote name='ps2rich']Misery loves company...

Bought my 360 last xmas so it's about 9 months old. I'm hardly a serious gamer; I'd estimate I average less than 4 hours a week. This afternoon I went to play a game and a few minutes into it the screen froze, and the controllers were unresponsive. Turned it off and tried again, and it wouldn't get past the initial Xbox 360 screen before it froze. Tried again this evening, same deal. Sometimes it freezes during a game, sometimes during startup. After a few of these cycles I got the dreaded red lights. Unplugged everything, took out the hard drive, and tried it again. It now starts up, but will still freeze.

Called Xbox support and they told me it needs to go back.

I bought it at Microcenter and also bought the extended warranty. I guess I'm not quite sure what happens now. Since it crapped out under Microsoft's warranty, will the extended warranty still apply to the replacement unit I get back?[/QUOTE]

If you take out 'called Xbox support', I could have made this post. I called Microcenter and they said it's not a problem. MS should keep track that you've sent it in.

I'm sending my MC-covered unit back today.

I started getting lockups in GHII last night, and they got progressively worse every time we booted up to a point where it was locking on the splash screen and I started getting the RROD.

Before MS will initiate a warranty repair, does it have to be completely bricked, or will intermittent failures be enough?

[quote name='eshbums']I started getting lockups in GHII last night, and they got progressively worse every time we booted up to a point where it was locking on the splash screen and I started getting the RROD.

Before MS will initiate a warranty repair, does it have to be completely bricked, or will intermittent failures be enough?[/QUOTE]
Go ahead and tell them you've got red lights, and order your coffin. It will get there.

[quote name='retail sucks']I'm getting a "supposedly" new 360 according to the serial number & a MS rep.

The new serial #:
*******733**

7 for the year made & 33 for the week made. That would be between the 13th & the 19th of August 2007 I think.

My 360 died on the 8th of August, made 8/06. I called MS and a box was ordered and sent next day. I received it the following Tuesday, and I dropped it off at my local UPS store the nex day(Wednesday). MS received it in Texas the following Tuesday. It sat there a week and the serial number changed the next wednesday evening.

I got home late that night. MS's phone service closed so I called the next day (thursday)and they confirmed it shipped & that it was new but the rep obviously didn't know the circumstances as to why it was a new unit, but only said "that usually means it was un-fixable".

I also included a note with my 360 when I sent it back, saying.

This adult owned 360 has been well taken care of. I'd like the same unit back instead of someone elses refurbished 360 "if possible".

Anyway last night I was on Goozex and I noticed a GamePro article called:
Microsoft not fixing 360s, only sending replacements

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=132168

IDK about MS sending faulty 360's but It could be true that their starting to send new units possibly to get rid of their existing stock to move onto the Falcon SKU.

UPDATE

My 360 is currently in Memphis, TN and I should have it by wednesday-thursday.

What a coincidence someone from Memphis just posted after me, LOL[/QUOTE]

update: September 5th

I received my 360 from MS today. It has a date of 8/16/07 with no HDMI, no new BenQ drive, but instead the Hitachi drive which is what my unit had when I sent it in. I think it's just a refurb & possibly the someone I sent in. And This thing is fucking dirtier than hell too.

My brother is on the phone giving them hell right now.

[quote name='sp00ge']That shouldn't matter. The drive is supposed to stop spinning before ejecting, hence the delay before the tray pops out.[/QUOTE]
no i don't always eject from the dashboard. I tried it with another game and it still does the same thing. I'm just gonna call them and tell them i've got three red lights.

[quote name='memsg']no i don't always eject from the dashboard. I tried it with another game and it still does the same thing. I'm just gonna call them and tell them i've got three red lights.[/QUOTE]

I think MS will fix anything up to one year, and after the first year it has to the RROD to fall under warranty, so give it a try if its under 1 year old.

Called MS customer service about the RROD...I was in and out in 6 minutes with an RMA number.

It sucks that it died, but damn, that's the fastest repair number I've ever gotten.

Off the little white fella goes on his trip to Texas.

I haven't had my 360 since the end of July and I'm pissed. They sent one back to be broken (console #3) and now I'm waiting for #4 which I sent in over a week ago but still haven't ewven gotten conformation that they received it.

[quote name='retail sucks']update: September 5th

I received my 360 from MS today. It has a date of 8/16/07 with no HDMI, no new BenQ drive, but instead the Hitachi drive which is what my unit had when I sent it in. I think it's just a refurb & possibly the someone I sent in. And This thing is fucking dirtier than hell too.

My brother is on the phone giving them hell right now.[/quote]

Did anything get resolved? My replacement wasn't the cleanist box either.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. I really took care of my 360. It even had the little IR sticker still on it. I live in a really dust free home (air cleaner on the central system, and a stand alone HEPA filter unit in the game room.)

With my luck I'm going to get one with Peanut Butter and Jelly smeared on it.

... Or mystery 'adolescent fluids of unthinkable origin' stains.

[quote name='retail sucks']I think MS will fix anything up to one year, and after the first year it has to the RROD to fall under warranty, so give it a try if its under 1 year old.[/QUOTE]
this is my third replacement since launch, i don't know if its covered.

A problem occurred, and your request cannot be completed.

This message comes up instead of my info when I go to the Service site and normally when I called they would say that its under repair but now I have to talk to a rep to find out about it which I will do when I have time tomorrow.

Well, my 360 died. Called the service repair number and they're sending the coffin in about 5-7 business days. They said it might take 30 days to fix it.

Just in time when Halo 3 will come out in 2 weeks.:bomb:

My 360 died on me on 8/11 while I was playing APF 2K8. Online game, as well.

At first, I didn't want to admit that I had seen the RRoD. I went and took a shower to get ready for work later that day, came back and tried again. Alas, the winking continued.

Sent out a coffin request same day before heading off to work. Coffin came in on the 17th, was able to ship it out on the 20th. Repair center got it on the 23rd and confirmed via e-mail the next day.

So here I am. Waiting. Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets back before Halo 3. This was a second wave system that I picked up in December of '05. I'm really shocked it lasted this long without a problem.

The serial number changed a few days ago on the service site, so is that a very likely sign I'm getting a refurbished one? I hear you guys with some of your horror stories of having your refurbished one no less than a week and get RRoD'd.

On the bright side, I've been giving some much needed attention to my Wii and PSP.

[quote name='cdeener']A problem occurred, and your request cannot be completed.

This message comes up instead of my info when I go to the Service site and normally when I called they would say that its under repair but now I have to talk to a rep to find out about it which I will do when I have time tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

That happened to me also. I had to call MS and it was sorted out no biggy. They will still have or should have your info on file. By calling I was assured the box went out next day.

[quote name='eshbums']
Off the little white fella goes on his trip to Texas.[/quote]

Don't talk about our nation's leader like that. He works hard and deserves 12 vacations per year.

Wow posting in this forum is like going to an AA meeting.

Hi I'm IceBurgh and my Xbox360 just got the RROD....

Seriously what terrible timing. I was just getting into Bioshock , I was about to land some prime recruits in NCAA'08 and the hockey games come out next week. Halo in 19 days ;-(

Power up my 360 and crack.....RROD.

Time to fire up the old PS2. Glad I kept that sucker around.

Mine is now locking up on start up only, sometimes taking 20 tries to get up and running. But, eventually it always works and never freezes in games. It also seems to work better if I play it more often (more lock-ups if I let it sit for 3 days). Been doing this for about 3 weeks.

Any thoughts as to the cause, or am I just counting the days till the inevitable RROD? I may just make the call now as a pre-emptive strike (only had for 2 months)

Ring of death for me, just started its fifth month of use. mfg date of 9-3-06.

I get freezes after about 30 minutes - 1 hour of playing, and they repeat 2 or three times when I restart, then I get the RROD. If it sits for 15-20 minutes it'll start again before repeating the problem.

The last time I finished a match and shutdown like normal, and tried to turn it back on out of curiosity, and immediately got the RROD. So its intermittent but persistent.

So yeah, I ordered a coffin.

:bomb:

So my 4th Xbox 360 just died on me yesterday. Good ol' RROD visited me again! I actually bought Stranglehold, took it home, fired up the 360 and boom :bomb: . 3 Flashing red lights... :roll:

So I ordered my coffin yesterday and should be here in 5-7 days.

Can't wait to get another high quality refurbished system that will die a few months later and then start the process all over again!

Maybe I will have better luck with my fifth Xbox360..................

I've been sent to the red-light district. A launch unit I won from MD. No problems at all until recently, and that's after it had been sitting with no use for about a month.

[quote name='retail sucks']That happened to me also. I had to call MS and it was sorted out no biggy. They will still have or should have your info on file. By calling I was assured the box went out next day.[/QUOTE]

Guess what I just found out when I logged into the Service site? A new serial number for my system and no pending repair. So, it took about two weeks for them to get it and service it now we will see how long it takes them to ship the system to me. They received my system on 8/23.

Original Serial Number: #######603##
Original MFG Date: 1/20/2006

New Serial Number: #######734##
New MFG Date: Between August 20-26

Mine basically was manufactured a week after the one that Retail Sucks got on September 5.

[quote name='Willie Aames']Mine is now locking up on start up only, sometimes taking 20 tries to get up and running. But, eventually it always works and never freezes in games. It also seems to work better if I play it more often (more lock-ups if I let it sit for 3 days). Been doing this for about 3 weeks.

Any thoughts as to the cause, or am I just counting the days till the inevitable RROD? I may just make the call now as a pre-emptive strike (only had for 2 months)[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it but I think your days are numbered. I had the same behavior.

I just got my 360 back it took just under a month (I called on 8/12). I got a refurb with a date of 9/2006, so I guess they are not sending new ones to everyone at this time. I hope this one lasts for a little while.

[quote name='cdeener']Guess what I just found out when I logged into the Service site? A new serial number for my system and no pending repair. So, it took about two weeks for them to get it and service it now we will see how long it takes them to ship the system to me. They received my system on 8/23.

Original Serial Number: #######603##

Mine basically was manufactured a week after the one that Retail Sucks got on September 5.[/QUOTE]

Well, I called the service number and found out that my console has been shipped and should take up to 5 business days.

[quote name='cdeener']Well, I called the service number and found out that my console has been shipped and should take up to 5 business days.[/quote]

I decided to call them myself today, just to see if I missed anything. Repairs were done and the console had been shipped. I thought they would send an e-mail when they finished the repairs.

[quote name='Regian']I decided to call them myself today, just to see if I missed anything. Repairs were done and the console had been shipped. I thought they would send an e-mail when they finished the repairs.[/QUOTE]
I never received 1 email while my xbox was being repaired. I always had to contact them.

[quote name='Regian']I decided to call them myself today, just to see if I missed anything. Repairs were done and the console had been shipped. I thought they would send an e-mail when they finished the repairs.[/QUOTE]

They sent me an e-mail when they received it but didn't send one about it being shipped to me.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Did anything get resolved? My replacement wasn't the cleanist box either.[/QUOTE]

fuck no. The @ssholes ask me if I wanted to make a repair order & send it back in! For it being dirty?! I'm just saying "Tell assembly line worker # blah blah to wash his/her hands after lunch, because it looks like someone ate Oreo's while boxing it back up.

As far as it not being new & it just having a new Serial #, it seems to be running fine. It's probably the same one I had (8/06 version) with the drive (Hitachi) , but the dvd drive seems to be quieter(which even my brother noticed too), almost or just as quiet as his HDMI Ben Q drive version.

IDK, but this new serial number change BS is weird. Why change the S#? It's adisappointment when a MS rep tells you it's new and you get the same box back. Oh well atleast it's working.

[quote name='cdeener']They sent me an e-mail when they received it but didn't send one about it being shipped to me.[/QUOTE]

yep, same here. You have to call MS (1-800-4my-xbox) and speak with a rep to get your UPS tracking # which it may not show for a few days because the system is or was messed up.

[quote name='cdeener']Original Serial Number: #######603##

Mine basically was manufactured a week after the one that Retail Sucks got on September 5.[/QUOTE]

Let us know when you receive it & if it's really a new one or just another new serial #.

[quote name='Milkyman']I just checked the website and my serial number has changed, anyone know how to find out the manufacturing date from the serial?[/QUOTE]

Its simple as looking in your serial number at the eighth to tenth numbers.

For example, #######725## would mean that this system would have been made in 2007 during the 25 week of the year.

[quote name='cdeener']Its simple as looking in your serial number at the eighth to tenth numbers.

For example, #######725## would mean that this system would have been made in 2007 during the 25 week of the year.[/QUOTE]

shit that means i'm getting a system made in february of 06, 2 months earlier than the one that died on me

[quote name='MrDubbs']So if my old Serial Number was 623

that would mean that mine that I just sent in was made in May 06 sometime?[/quote]

Bingo.

#######735##

Looks like this one was done VERY recently.

I hope to have it back this week, NHL 2K8 and skate coming out. Both looking nice right now.

[quote name='Regian']#######735##

Looks like this one was done VERY recently.

I hope to have it back this week, NHL 2K8 and skate coming out. Both looking nice right now.[/QUOTE]

That means that your system was manufactured the week after the one I am suppose to be receiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back