Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Mr. Anderson']So I turned on my 360 just now, and it froze. Tried it again, and it gave me an E 79 screen and one flashing red light in the bottom right corner. Anybody know what that means?

EDIT: I really just need to know if MS will repair/replace it for free if it doesn't have the three red lights. Mine is still fucked, but it only has one flashing light. It's out of the 3-month warranty I got with my first refurb, so yeah. My only hope is the 3-year extended warranty.[/quote]That's the hardware failure that my last console got. The 3-year extended warranty does not cover that so you will be asked to pay for the repair.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Kindly explain. Your RROD are pulsating? I can't remember whether mine did or not, but I don't think it matters either way. It's only the number of quadrants that differentiates between the different hardware problems.[/QUOTE]

The couple of times it has happened they weren't blinking, they were a solid red. I turned on my system via the controller and there was the ring. Turned it off waited a few seconds, pushed the console's power button and everything was fine. Either way, I'll call for my coffin today to prepare for the inevitable.

I just renewed Xbox Live, then I restarted 360 and it showed I am set until next year. Then Guitar Hero III froze. Three Rings. Calling customer service sucked. I have problems hearing most people over the phone, so having to deal with a light spoken Indian woman was a joy. At least Galaxy comes out next week.

anybody know the number we can call to check on the repair status? its not the 1-800-4MYXBOX one, they just tell you whether or not they received it.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']That's the hardware failure that my last console got. The 3-year extended warranty does not cover that so you will be asked to pay for the repair.[/QUOTE]

fuck that shit, I'm just gonna lie to the service rep. I'm not paying 100 bucks or more to have them repair what they should be doing for free.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']fuck that shit, I'm just gonna lie to the service rep. I'm not paying 100 bucks or more to have them repair what they should be doing for free.[/QUOTE]

And what are you going to do when they send it back in the same condition?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']And what are you going to do when they send it back in the same condition?[/quote]Indeed. I asked a similar question to the CSR and he said they check the consoles when they receive them to ensure they're the same serial number and problem you had reported. If it doesn't match they send it back to you and ask you to pay for repair service.

BTW, I had the same problem with you (which is the 3rd console I've had gone bad). Unfortunately, this one was already out of the warranty period. I spoke (very nicely) to the administrator there and I couldn't get them to budge on fixing it for free. I filed a complaint with the BBB and after about a week, a MS representative called me. I kept a very civil manner of speech with her, but she still refused to offer some sort of solution to my complaint. I had asked for a free repair, but was willing to take a discounted repair fee. She said she couldn't help me. I said no thanks and left the console be since I had an Elite to still use anyway.

Called MS again about a week later to just go ahead and get the repair and surprisingly, the CSR stated they were cleared to give me a discounted repair price of $49.99 for my console. Apparently there was a note left on my account that approved it.

Keep in mind, however, that MS does not have records of your past repair services from what I was told, since they had a "system reset" a while back which deleted all that information. I did, however, have all the information with me (serial numbers of old consoles, dates, service repair references, etc.) which I put in my claim to BBB.

So that's my advice: file a claim with the BBB, but keep a civil tone when speaking with them. Speak your displeasure, but don't go over the top in a profanity laced tirade and they may be able to come to a compromise with you.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I just renewed Xbox Live, then I restarted 360 and it showed I am set until next year. Then Guitar Hero III froze. Three Rings. Calling customer service sucked. I have problems hearing most people over the phone, so having to deal with a light spoken Indian woman was a joy. At least Galaxy comes out next week.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that! I made my call today as well, so all I can do is wait for the coffin to arrive. Hopefully I can squeeze a few more playing sessions out of the 360 before it arrives. Why couldn't this have happened a couple of months ago? It's gonna be tough having RB, AC and ME with no system to play them :cry: .

Galaxy's release next week does soften the blow a bit. Looks like I'll be spending a lot more time with my Wii.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']And what are you going to do when they send it back in the same condition?[/QUOTE]

Guess I'll just have to pay the repair cost, but hey, why not at least try?

EDIT: Thanks for the tips Steve, maybe I'll try that method. I guess $50 ain't so bad.

[quote name='deadite76']Sorry to hear that! I made my call today as well, so all I can do is wait for the coffin to arrive. Hopefully I can squeeze a few more playing sessions out of the 360 before it arrives. Why couldn't this have happened a couple of months ago? It's gonna be tough having RB, AC and ME with no system to play them :cry: .

Galaxy's release next week does soften the blow a bit. Looks like I'll be spending a lot more time with my Wii.[/quote]

Yea, I am just glad I bought Orange Box for PC. My PC and Wii will hold me off for a while.

My first 360 got RROD on October 6th, I didn't get the replacement in until yesterday, November 8th. I boot up the replacement yesterday and mess around briefly with the 360 hd addon and d/l a few quick things. Go to turn it on tonight for some Halo and 3 rings already. MS sucks.

[quote name='murray731']My first 360 got RROD on October 6th, I didn't get the replacement in until yesterday, November 8th. I boot up the replacement yesterday and mess around briefly with the 360 hd addon and d/l a few quick things. Go to turn it on tonight for some Halo and 3 rings already. MS sucks.[/quote]

Damn that sucks, It brings my hopes down for a working box to return.

My 2nd 360 just got the RROD playing Timeshift. Thank god my Gamestop PRP is still good for another month. But one positive thing about it dying is, if they're new ones, i should hopefully be getting a HDMI premium.

[quote name='Bezerker']My 2nd 360 just got the RROD playing Timeshift. Thank god my Gamestop PRP is still good for another month. But one positive thing about it dying is, if they're new ones, i should hopefully be getting a HDMI premium.[/quote] Yea, Good thing I got the extended warranty.

26 July 2006 - 8 November 2007

Played GH2 for a bit, loaded up Zuma, screen freeze mid-game. Restart was greeted w/ RRoD. Coffin en route. Until then, I'm having mild success with the Towel Trick. I've been able to get some CoD4 SP in but it's locking up between levels, and now during the 2nd level (Nikolai).

My friend's 360 RRoD'd about a month ago. He bought an Elite to replace it; plans on selling the repaired unit. I've debated picking up an Arcade model, but I think I'll just wait. Wii's been sorely neglected, and there's plenty of backlog on the PS2 to work through.

Have any of you tried complaining for some free stuff. I remember hearing that if you complain, they would give you freebies like an extra controller, a free game, and/or more xbox live for free. Does that still work?

[quote name='memsg']missed the ups guy today trying to deliver my 360. Turnaround time to get fixed was 16 days.[/quote]

was that after your 360 got to the plant?

I got mine back two days ago, same serial number but I think it's not the same console.

It's already made some loud ass weedwacker noises which is awesome.

Ever since I got my 360 back, I've had disc read errors and the DVD drive is loud as Hell.

I've noticed that my discs are pretty damn hot when I remove them from the console.

Is that normal? I can't remember...

Damn MS sure is taking their time with my console. They've had it for a week and a half now and not even any notice that says they received it to let me know they're even working on my repair.

They said 3-4 weeks for repair you should def call around the 1 1/2 week mark just to see what is going on. Also for those getting repaired boxes that sounds like shit. Man that sucks.....the more i read on here about repaired boxes going dead again it just makes me mad.

[quote name='Brak']They don't give you any notice.[/quote]I guess they are changing things there. The last three repairs I've had I've always received a form email that says they received my console.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I guess they are changing things there. The last three repairs I've had I've always received a form email that says they received my console.[/QUOTE]
The customer service guy told me that the only notice I'd get would be to track the UPS shipping number, and to track the console on Xbox.com, which I wasn't able to do, as it mysteriously vanished from my registered consoles list.

Woohoo! After getting my 'box to play about an hour of GHIII, it froze up. Turned it on, and wouldn't ya know it, the red rings of death appeared! Called Microsoft promptly and got the coffin sent, along with a free repair. The guy on the phone said my console was covered until the end of this month, even though it's way out of warranty. I don't know what that's all about, but hey, I ain't complainin.'

I'm new to the Xbox 360, I just bought the Elite version today, set it up, and I have 3 red rings now.... It never powered up at all, just 3 red rings right off the bat. I was very excited to play Bioshock today too, looks like I'm going back to Best Buy to return it. This is just ridiculous. It makes me wonder if I should even bother buying this system at all.

[quote name='BigBen']I'm new to the Xbox 360, I just bought the Elite version today, set it up, and I have 3 red rings now.... It never powered up at all, just 3 red rings right off the bat. I was very excited to play Bioshock today too, looks like I'm going back to Best Buy to return it. This is just ridiculous. It makes me wonder if I should even bother buying this system at all.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a PEBKAC error, at least I hope. I think I hadn't properly plugged the power supply cord into the unit, I unplugged it and replugged it in and it seems to be ok now, I'm worried though that it gave me 3 RROD right off the bat, does that normally happen when the power cord isn't fully plugged in or is it a sign of something bad that's going to happen in the near future.

Well my refurb just croaked. It either a: Freezes after booting, b: beeps at me and freezes while booting, or c: redrings.

November of all fucking months too.

[quote name='Brak']The customer service guy told me that the only notice I'd get would be to track the UPS shipping number, and to track the console on Xbox.com, which I wasn't able to do, as it mysteriously vanished from my registered consoles list.[/quote]

Mine too!
WTF?
Did you call them about it? I'd say bitch at them and try to get free shit.

[quote name='BigBen']I'm new to the Xbox 360, I just bought the Elite version today, set it up, and I have 3 red rings now.... It never powered up at all, just 3 red rings right off the bat. I was very excited to play Bioshock today too, looks like I'm going back to Best Buy to return it. This is just ridiculous. It makes me wonder if I should even bother buying this system at all.[/quote]

DammN!
That's crazy!
brand New Elite right out the box already messin up? Wtf microsoft..this thread makes me more sad. Supposedly the elite has new nano meters? WTf ?

[quote name='popemogoth']DammN!
That's crazy!
brand New Elite right out the box already messin up? Wtf microsoft..this thread makes me more sad. Supposedly the elite has new nano meters? WTf ?[/quote]How about you read his very next post, in which he says it was because he didn't plug it in right, and that it works now.

My 360 is dead, for the fourth time. I wake up this morning, put Halo 3 in, and it automatically ejects the discs. I keep hitting the button on the drive, and it keeps ejecting. It refuses to close the disc tray. So I stick my finger in there and push down one of the things inside, and it finally stays closed, but now, the drive makes noises, and everytime I put a disc in, I get an "unplayable disc" error. Wonderful. One of my roommates probably fucking broke it, and it's not even covered by the fucking warranty. Just fabulous.

[quote name='Kendal']So when you were about to get the red ring of death, did the box freeze a lot and not go online?[/quote]

That's pretty much what mine did. A day of random freezing, then beeping/freezing, and now redring. I'm tempted to try and towel it, but not too fond of high heat and flamable objects. I think burnmarks might void the warranty.

[quote name='popemogoth']Mine too!
WTF?
Did you call them about it? I'd say bitch at them and try to get free shit.[/QUOTE]
I probably should have.

It was actually a surprise, as it was a case of "out of sight, out of mind".

When it arrived at my door, I wasn't even expecting it -- especially since it was gone for, like, 14 days.

join the club noobs i'm on console number 6 yeahhh. yeahhh for me

I demanded a NEW console from MS and they said they try a get me one plus some free stuff because of how many refurbs i sent back in a year.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']My 03/06 manufactured box quit reading discs. Got my box Thursday, sent off to McAllen Friday morning. Since I didn't have any red rings, I had to pay $99.[/QUOTE]

Unit received in McAllen on 11/07. Unit sent back to me on 11/09. No email from MS, no word, nothing.

I called and found out this info by asking a rep. Found out that they repaired my original box (which is good, I either wanted that or a new one) and shipped it out on the 9th. Told him I was pretty pissed that I hadn't been notified.

He said that they had sent an email to an ancient email addy of mine, one I haven't used in 4 years at least. Which is weird since when I had to verify my current address, they used the correct one. So - if you've used more than one email over the course of your Xbox/Xbox360 ownership, you may want to call MS and make sure all is up to date.

My console is due back on the 14th, so hopefully it'll get here on time...and work.

I got my console back on the 10th of Oct, 6 days later I got the RROD so I had to send it back. Got it today, new machine, 360 date 10/22/07. I'm giving it 6 days and after that I hope it lasts 2 years lol. Now to catch up on all the games! holy shit

Well, we almost made it two years together. Not quite, but close. I'll always remember launch night at that Gamestop.

At approximately 1:00 A.M. (EST) today, playing Pac-Man Championship Edition, screen freezes with alternatingly vertical and horizontal rectangles of tiny light/dark alternating rectangles inside them. I fear the worst, turn the console off and back on, and the worst is indeed confirmed. Since I have a Launch Day console, as I understand it, I'm covered for three years, i.e. through Nov. 22nd, 2008?

Is it even worth the effort, or should I just buy a new one*? I have plenty of PS2/Wii/DS/PC/etc. games to keep me busy in the meantime, but I'm not keen on waiting however long it takes if there's solid odds of the repaired/replacement box being another headache. And if I do send it in, are they demanding the HDD still? I fortunately have not had to keep up with this debacle in quite some time.

EDIT: Out of morbid curiosity, went and tried to boot it up again. It worked. For about five minutes. Same screen freeze. Then the three lights. Then it booted up again just fine. If I send this thing in, will they try to tell me there's nothing wrong with it if it doesn't die on them right away?

*--"Arcade" model or "Elite"? I'd just as soon spring for the latter, but if those are causing problems, here in November of 2007...oy fucking vey!!

Well I am another Towel Trick success story. I went from random freezes with a max playtime of 10 minutes/random rrod to a successful 5 hour session. Hopefully this will hold me off until after Mass Effect, and if I remember correctly I'll have 30 days until the RMA claim gets dumped.

havent updated on my 360 situation in a while. I called them on the 12th of last month. I got my box on the 18th. Shipped it away on the 19th. They received it on the 24th and fixed it that day. I started calling in next week and they started telling me it was fixed any day and should ship. After about three days of this I started getting pissed and one guy accidentally let slip it fixed on the 24 and it hasnt shipped yet. I talked to some people higher up, supervisors or something. They gave me a dedicated agent to my case. Just in case I wasnt clear, my case is that my 360 for some reason wont ship even though it is fixed and has been since the 24th of october. So anyway I have heard from my agent twice. Once to tell me whats up my name is michael and I will tell them to ship your console. Next time we spoke a week later (last friday) he told me it still hasnt shipped, and they wanted to confirm my address (wtf?) after him reading me my exact address he told me it should ship soon and he would probably get back to me with a tracking by tuesday. Now it is my opinion that he would call me back earlier unless it hasnt shipped yet. So here we are on tuesday and I am expecting a call later today to tell me my 360 still hasnt shipped for some fucking bullshit reason, and that it will likely ship in the next few days- which of course is total bullshit. Anyway thats it. Any tips for getting a free game or something out of this?

[quote name='jollydwarf']Well, we almost made it two years together. Not quite, but close. I'll always remember launch night at that Gamestop.

At approximately 1:00 A.M. (EST) today, playing Pac-Man Championship Edition, screen freezes with alternatingly vertical and horizontal rectangles of tiny light/dark alternating rectangles inside them. I fear the worst, turn the console off and back on, and the worst is indeed confirmed. Since I have a Launch Day console, as I understand it, I'm covered for three years, i.e. through Nov. 22nd, 2008?

Is it even worth the effort, or should I just buy a new one*? I have plenty of PS2/Wii/DS/PC/etc. games to keep me busy in the meantime, but I'm not keen on waiting however long it takes if there's solid odds of the repaired/replacement box being another headache. And if I do send it in, are they demanding the HDD still? I fortunately have not had to keep up with this debacle in quite some time.

EDIT: Out of morbid curiosity, went and tried to boot it up again. It worked. For about five minutes. Same screen freeze. Then the three lights. Then it booted up again just fine. If I send this thing in, will they try to tell me there's nothing wrong with it if it doesn't die on them right away?

*--"Arcade" model or "Elite"? I'd just as soon spring for the latter, but if those are causing problems, here in November of 2007...oy fucking vey!![/quote]
The way I understand it also, you would be covered until November 2008. I called on the 23rd of Oct and I'm still down for the count.

If you have all of those other games to keep you busy, I would say send it in. Personally, I won't (and don't think anybody else should either) buy another 360 and give Microsoft another dime. If they can't fix my xbox and give me one that works, they will have to keep sending me a coffin and repairing the one I send them until they decide to redesign their faulty units and give us all a brand new system. If the systems are still failing at this rate, the 3 year mark will be up, and people will still have broken systems. I really don't think Microsoft can afford to 1. Leave all these people with broken systems after the 3 year mark. 2. Not have a new design that works and is put in place by the 3 year mark. The way I have been reading it anyway people that have been buying the new elites are getting problems with them also, so you would be in the same boat you are in now. might as well just have one broken system instead of two.

And with your question about them testing your unit.... I am still not totally convinced that they even test them at all. I know of 2 people personally (my cousin orginally and then his buddy after) that have sent in their units with disc drive errors (Not the 3 rings) and have recieved totally different replacements for their console that work.

I would really drive the nail in the heart when you call them and tell them that you are sending in your unit, and now have to buy a PS3 (I see you already have a Wii) to tide you over while your 360 is MIA, and that you will be buying assassin's creed and COD4 for that system instead of theirs. (And honestly this is what I would do if I was in your situation instead of spending the money on another 360. I found myself looking at ps3's and Wii's last night on the web with that 20% off Kmart coupon. Something that wouldn't have happend had I had my 360 to play....)

I doubt telling the CSR that you're getting the games for another console is gonna have any effect on them or the company. The call centers are outsourced for the most part and these guys are just trained to run your query by the book. The most they're gonna say to you is, "Sorry for the inconvenience."

No it won't even be "sorry for the inconvenience".

It'll be, How do you spell your name again??

That call is being monitored somewhere and it will be notied somewhere else. Regardless of whether or not the phone jockey on the other end gives a damn what you do with your money, or even knows what an xbox 360 is, If you buy the game for a different system it will hurt somewhere. And if enough people spend their money else where maybe Microsoft will be more inclined to fix the problem faster.

The thinking behind people buying another 360 because their orginal one broke just doesn't make sense to me.

Think about it. If you bought a car from Chevy that lasted under 2 years are you going to go out and buy another car from them right after the one you just bought completely red lined and left you hanging? And we not talking about, "ok the starter went out" we are talking about the engine blowing itself apart, and the car being completely worthless. Not to mention the overal failure rate is... what is the number up to now 40%? (Even that number is HEAVILY in MS's favor.. I know 10 people with xbox 360's myself included, and 1 is still on his orginal, not to mention all the high school kids in the classes I teach complain daily about their xbox's breaking, and the fact that the UPS guys know exactly what is in that box that you are bring him)

Hell if I bought a Microwave and it lasted under 2 years, I would never, ever buy from that company again, let alone go out and buy the same microwave that just nuked on me.

My 360 has worked without complaint for two years now .. Finally, after a long, dry summer, it was killed over roughly two weeks by the combined forces of Halo 3 / Orange Box.

Right before the release of two of my most anticipated games: Assassin's Creed and Kane and Lynch. I'm dying over here!

So it's in Texas now, and the status report says that it has been received and is awaiting repair .. Awaiting repair .. awaiting repair ...

In desperation, I've considered picking up the cheapest 360 from Walmart for just as long as it takes to get my original back, though that feels a bit more sleazy than my needs entail. I'd sorely love the opportunity to talk a rep and into passing along a coupon to pick up a new one (or however they do it) under threat of grabbing a PS3 and the respective versions of those games ..

Thanks, hx. As a Browns fan, you have to know better than most that this was not a good (extended) weekend for me. I'm going to call Microsoft shortly for my "coffin", and I'll be sending it in so long as they don't make me include the HDD.

I'm not sure I'm going to 'play this game' with repairs 'n' refurbishes for another year, though. If it happens again, particularly right after the holidays, I'm probably going to head to Best Buy and get a new one and a Product Replacement Plan. I'm not 'going without' for weeks at a time multiple times. I'll still get the other repaired, keep it as a back-up or something. Maybe sell it to a friend for a very CAG-friendly price. Sigh. Who knows? The bottom line is that it's really unfortunate that multiple fixes is an issue here in late '07 and that this thread is bearing down on 140 pages, with no slowdown in sight.

P.S. Now, I am convinced that the failure rate is at least 50% for launch consoles, and that by the time MS's 'red ring' extension ends in just over a year, it will be more like 75-80%...conservatively. I would also have to imagine the launch unit that gets at least a couple hours of playtime a week that survives until the launch of the Nextbox (if there is one...another topic, though) will be worthy of the Vatican's consideration for an official "miracle".

My xbox finally reached Texas! Except I had to find out through UPS. How can I check it's repair status and such w/o having to call? (Unless it's automated or something)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back