Official Coffin Support Group - Is your 360 Dead? Post Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coffin came. I ordered online a week ago for RRoD.

My question is, if my disc drive won't open without a disc in it, should I put a crap disc in there?

The paper here says take everything out. I can fill out the form and add disc drive not opening as an issue, along with the RRoD. I just don't want to be charged for anything extra or have they say they don't have to fix it since I didn't follow instructions.

Mine came back a couple days ago, and so far it seems OK. It was a refurb I guess. Had a different S/N and a later manufacture date than my old one. They included a free month of Xbox live.

Damn... my 360 froze twice today, and once I had to re-enter the disc to make it read the game...

Sounds like I have my second RROD coming up.

I'm pretty sure mine's on the way out. A very little over a year ago I got a new one from EB using their product replacement plan. I'm guessing this 'new' console I got is covered by Microsoft for 3 years after I got it from EB?

Also, does anyone know if EB is lenient with their PRP? Mine expired 12/15/07 but I wouldn't mind trying to get a new system as my load times and freezing are both increasing.

I just bought a 360 on ebay. And im like o crap i dont have the proof of purchase. When i get the RROD(yes its gonna happen) what am i gonna do when they ask for the proof of purchase. Do they really need it? Any of you have the same problem, or did you all have your proof of purchase when you sent your 360 in.

Well, about 10 minutes ago I contacted MS support because I have the RRoD now. The worst part??

This is my 4th time. Yes, 4th system that I've had that has succumbed to the RRoD. It's garbage, they just keep cycling these barely repaired systems around to everyone, sending me another guy's RRoD machine to replace the one I sent in. I really want a new system, and I think they owe me that much.

I love the 360, and I think it offers the best gaming experience of this generation. But man, it is a total piece of crap. Cheapy, if you are watching, I'd love you forever if you sent me a new 360 Elite. I'll even sing another song for you. Shoot, I'll record "Sandy" complete with cheesy video accompaniment.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Coffin came. I ordered online a week ago for RRoD.

My question is, if my disc drive won't open without a disc in it, should I put a crap disc in there?

The paper here says take everything out. I can fill out the form and add disc drive not opening as an issue, along with the RRoD. I just don't want to be charged for anything extra or have they say they don't have to fix it since I didn't follow instructions.[/QUOTE]

Don't put any disc in it unless you don't want it back. Just write down the issue and let them open it themselves. Most likely, they just toss your system in a pile and send you a different refurb back.

I sent my 360 back to microsoft on christmas eve and it arrived in texas on New Years eve. On January 4th my status changed to "Device Shipped to Customer" and my serial number changed. Does this mean they have already sent it back to me? I cant believe that the turnaround would be four days.

[quote name='bem1']I sent my 360 back to microsoft on christmas eve and it arrived in texas on New Years eve. On January 4th my status changed to "Device Shipped to Customer" and my serial number changed. Does this mean they have already sent it back to me? I cant believe that the turnaround would be four days.[/quote]

What turn around? They verify its broke and then send you a refurb unit - which is why the serial number is now changed cause its a different xbox.

also..what else in the whole entire universe could "Device Shipped to Customer" mean?

The guy on the phone told me it would take 3 weeks before it was sent back to me and everyone that i've talked to said it took 3-4 weeks before it was shipped back

[quote name='bem1']The guy on the phone told me it would take 3 weeks before it was sent back to me and everyone that i've talked to said it took 3-4 weeks before it was shipped back[/quote]

the initial/holiday rush to get 360's repaired has died down and also i think MS has got the turnaround process down to a science by now....why question it? "People" said it would be 3-4 weeks and it has been WAY shorter....just call them and tell them to hold on to it for a while if it makes you feel better...

I'd say it's also entirely possible that, in order to save time, they're just immediately shipping out refurbs because of the after-holiday period.

Saves them time, and extra workload.

I was thinking of doing this as well since I have to send my 360 in for repairs. I'd say after selling the refurbished 360, I'd be out maybe $100 or so.

hey i just got my halo 3 special edition console today. I was wondering if it had a falcon chipset. The lot is 0734 and the manufacture date is 08 24 2007 but my 360 has a 203W supply and also if i look inside the 360 i see the 3 coils. Is it a Zephyr or a Falcon?

I was just starting up Assassin's Creed last night and I got the RROD (my second 360), Looks like I will have to call up today for a coffin. I had a feeling it was coming because games were starting to freeze more often.

I was going to put in Mass Effect too.

My audio/video went haywire this morning, before quitting completely. Fortunately I'm still under 1-year warranty, so it's free. Still, depressing.

my launch 360 finally broke and it's not RRoD, graphic chip or video out gave up. I 'm sureprised it lasted that long after hearing all the horror stories.

[quote name='evil costanza']my launch 360 finally broke and it's not RRoD, graphic chip or video out gave up. I 'm sureprised it lasted that long after hearing all the horror stories.[/QUOTE]

It's unheard of for a console to break so quickly in its lifespan at such a widespread level. We shouldn't have to be surprised that it lasts more than 2 years, but that is what the deathbox 360 has done to us.

Man, I'm sitting here waiting for my coffin to come in ...... I'm so tempted to go to Costco and buy a 360 and then sell the repaired one when I get it back on eBay. That way I'll never have to go through this again with Costco's awesome return policy.

My broken 360 was one of the launch units and I got it for about $100 after using credit at Blockbuster.

Thoughts?

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Man, I'm sitting here waiting for my coffin to come in ...... I'm so tempted to go to Costco and buy a 360 and then sell the repaired one when I get it back on eBay. That way I'll never have to go through this again with Costco's awesome return policy.

My broken 360 was one of the launch units and I got it for about $100 after using credit at Blockbuster.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I've considered the same thing, except I would get an Elite.

Then again, who is to say that a new unit is any less prone to RROD than a refurb? You'd think it would be less prone, but there isn't any real data to support that stance.

Even still, I'll keep coming back for more. Being an owner of all 3 systems, I can definitively say that (at least IMO) the 360 offers the best overall gaming experience of this generation, especially if you are an online gamer, which I am.

[quote name='the ender']I've considered the same thing, except I would get an Elite.

Then again, who is to say that a new unit is any less prone to RROD than a refurb? You'd think it would be less prone, but there isn't any real data to support that stance.

Even still, I'll keep coming back for more. Being an owner of all 3 systems, I can definitively say that (at least IMO) the 360 offers the best overall gaming experience of this generation, especially if you are an online gamer, which I am.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hear that even the new chips in the 360's give the RRoD. I'll probably do it since I don't want to have to wait anymore for repairs. Costco here I come.... and I'll probably pick up an Elite too.

woot, 2nd xbox 360 is going out for repair/replacement, I finally got fed up of it not reading discs.

first one was red ring o death, they send a different unit back that has trouble reading discs, even new ones! I just put up with it for 8 months or so, but I'm getting sick of it. it takes on average 10-15 tries of opening/closing the tray to get most games to load.

interestingly COD4 usually only takes 1 or two tries, everything else takes forever. here's hoping i get a functional unit this time.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Does anyone know if the warranty on the Xbox 360 transfers if you sell it on ebay?[/quote]

Well they don't ask for a proof of purchase when you submit a repair order. So if the serial # isn't under you're name already, whoever ends up with it should be fine.

If it is registered to you, someene else will have to answer the question better then me. :)

How long does it usually take to get the coffin to ship the system off? I just now placed an order on the website for the coffin. I never bothered reading any red ring horror stories so I havent a clue how long it usually take to ship it off and get it back and stuff.

Edit - Also I know you just send the system in but do you send the faceplate too or not?

Edit - The thing is acting really weird. One minute it will Red ring then I can turn it off and back on and itll work fine till I play then the game freezes. Ill restart it and red ring again. I dont want to send it off to them then it not red ring and they send it back.

[quote name='Undertaker4eber']How long does it usually take to get the coffin to ship the system off? I just now placed an order on the website for the coffin. I never bothered reading any red ring horror stories so I havent a clue how long it usually take to ship it off and get it back and stuff.[/quote]

It takes about 3-4 business days. They send it 3 day ground.

EDIT: I just read your post more closely. It takes about two weeks total. Shipping each way is 3 day shipping.

Edit - Also I know you just send the system in but do you send the faceplate too or not?

The instructions don't say anything about the faceplate. I left mine on. However, be sure to remove any disc from the drive and remove the hard drive. The instructions will tell you to do this.

Edit - The thing is acting really weird. One minute it will Red ring then I can turn it off and back on and itll work fine till I play then the game freezes. Ill restart it and red ring again. I dont want to send it off to them then it not red ring and they send it back.

Is it one red ring or three? If three I wouldn't worry too much, since it sends to be somewhat intermittent (see towel trick). If one red ring, check your AV connections and make sure they're secure.

[quote name='bostonfrontier']Does anyone know if the warranty on the Xbox 360 transfers if you sell it on ebay?[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't. I had two that I bought off of ebay that needed to be sent in for repairs (red ring error). When I called Microsoft they told me the units weren't under warranty because I didn't buy them from an authorized Microsoft reseller. To get around this you have to tell them you bought the console used at a place like Gamestop or EB Games.

my friend just sent in his 5th xbox the other day. This one last a month and a half before dying. Pretty sad if you ask me. Glad I am only on my second one.

mine is out for the third time for repairs... 1) rrod, 2) disk drive error, 3) doa
now waiting for a box...
but got offer ardade unplugged... wished i've been offered an hard drive :(

Sweet. 2 RROD and now a "disc is unreadable" error on all my media. RAWR :bomb:

So I think that I'll end up trading in whatever they send me back for an Arcade version. HDMI port is nice, but getting into the newer hardware hopefully will keep my xbox out of the coffin with less frequency, and being able to refresh my warranty is a must considering I only have until March.

I had never been so happy to see a big white box. I got mine today after ordering it on the 4th, so it only took about 5 days, most likely since I'm in the same state as the repair center.

Hopefully I'll get it back quick, too. I'm sending it in early tomorrow.

[quote name='sj41']I had never been so happy to see a big white box. I got mine today after ordering it on the 4th, so it only took about 5 days, most likely since I'm in the same state as the repair center.

Hopefully I'll get it back quick, too. I'm sending it in early tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I would think it'd take less than 5 days since you're in the same state.....

Well, got my Coffin in today and shipped out the 360 today as well.... I'm in Texas so I'm estimating I'll get it back in a week or so....

In the mean time, I went to Costco today and got the Xbox 360 Pro bundle with Call of Cuty 4/controller/charge kit for $440..... I'm gonna sell everything except the system since it does have HDMI...... Once I get that repaired 360 back, I'l sell that too.... I'm thinking it'll cost me about $100 out of pocket for a new system and Costco's awesome return policy. Next time I get that RRoD ( which I know will happen again) I'll just have to exchange it out at Costco instead of having to wait for repairs.

Also, I think the 360 I got is a Falcon as it has a 175W power supply

Welp, today is the 3rd week since i've submitted my repair order and i've yet to get my coffin.

I guess ill call Xbox to see if theres any update.

After calling on Christmas day for my coffin, my 360 is finally on its way back to me today. Yay. And the serial number changed, so here's hoping for an HDMI one.

After using a serial number guide, it seems my refurb 360 was made in December '05... God damn, this thing will probably red ring the first week I get it.

I dont know what to do with my 360. It red ringed the other night and I ordered the coffin off the website. Well I tried it later and it worked fine. I played it for bout 3 hours total over 2 days before it red ringed again. I turn it off and back on and it works fine but it freezes everytime I start a game then red rings. I turn it off and back on and it starts fine. It wont let me play games though cause it freezes and it will never just stay red ringed, it always starts up fine the next time I start it. I dont want to send it in this way cause I know it wont red ring right off the bat if they test it, but its useless cause it freezes when I start playing something. Anyone have a suggestion?

If they check it though and it doesnt red ring will they just send it back or go ahead and fix it. I heard someone say they send a paper so you can tell them exactly what it is doing. I have tried suffocating with a towel so the heat will stay trapped in there. Its just over heating and giving me the two left red lights. I finally got it to red ring just now but I know as soon as I turn it off and on itll start fine.

I guess I could just sell it as is. They seem to go from like 100-130 that way. Im Just gonna sell the refurbished one they will send me and get an arcade unit anywho.

[quote name='Undertaker4eber']I guess I could just sell it as is. They seem to go from like 100-130 that way. Im Just gonna sell the refurbished one they will send me and get an arcade unit anywho.[/QUOTE]

Make sur e you get your new unit from Costco so you won't have to go through this again

My 360 would turn on for a little bit before red ringing, in fact it only RRoD'd 3 or 4 times for me, but only on one day. Every other time it froze.

It got replaced with a refurb, and yours would do the same. If you ever see the RRoD once, why shouldn't they believe you? I'm sure they'd check it out for themselves, they're not just going to turn it on and off, they get so many of these things daily it's ridiculous.

My 360 is officially dead. Its a depressing day. Thankfully, its RRoD, so its under warranty.
Can a 360 pro walk me through what I need to do? Or a link would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back