Official Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories Thread

VanillaGorilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
As you may know, Disgaea 2 comes out next week, and if you didn't pre-order it, you might have a hard time finding it. But, you're CAG'ers, so you know better, right?

Anyways, this is the official Disgaea 2 thread. Feel free to post all your battle strategies, etc. here. I have tried my best to learn NOTHING about this game, so I can go into it fresh next week.

Im too broke to get it!!!!

Im in discipline / hermit status for the next month or so,

and I owe rent soon -_- ~~~~

edit: I still have disgaea 1 sealed,

during hermit status I was gonna play that!! (or phantom brave)

but I dont even have a tv or ps2 on me...

2 Won't be rare, so no worries on supply. I'm hoping the Pre-Order packages from NIS will actually ship Monday, but it's probably wishful thinking. It's going to suck seeing release day come and go while waiting on mine to come in the mail. I fucking need it!

Unfortunately I'm probably not gonna be able to play this until Late September. I ordered it from Doublejumpbooks since that fiasco with the NIS store was going on. They only shipped Standard so its gonna take a while to even get to me.

Even then, Sept 1-4 I'm working the gameroom at Animefest, then Sept 7-17 I'm gonna be in Los Angeles for top secret super spy business.

:(

I think it's gonna be hard to find. Do you guys really think places like Target, Wal Mart, or Best Buy are gonna get a ton of copies, if any at all?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I think it's gonna be hard to find. Do you guys really think places like Target, Wal Mart, or Best Buy are gonna get a ton of copies, if any at all?[/quote]
BBY has it in its weekly ad.

NIS doesn't have to rely on Atlus anymore. Hell a local Hastings in a small east Texas town has Phantom Brave, Makai, and Atelier Iris 2 in stock. D2 will be plentiful.

This shouldn't be as rare as the first one. Disgaea came out at a time when people weren't really thinking about Strat RPGs. Now that Atlus and NIS have released 4 in the last 3 years, people are all about the sequel to the game that brought the genre back from the grave.

Considering I found Disgaea 1 at Best Buy towards the beginning of November the year it was released, I think Best Buy will have copies of Disgaea 2 at release.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']I can't order the game until Friday, will I still be able to get the Prinny Cursor and Soundtrack?

Edit: I'm getting the gamer set, if it matters.[/quote]

As long as you order before release, you get all of it. The only part that was limited was the artbook.

[quote name='hohez']As long as you order before release, you get all of it. The only part that was limited was the artbook.[/quote] Well, I can't order until after the release. And I really want the soundtrack. So I have no idea what to do.
Personally, I couldn't care less about the art book, as the full version of it is coming out at a MSRP of 20 bucks.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I think it's gonna be hard to find. Do you guys really think places like Target, Wal Mart, or Best Buy are gonna get a ton of copies, if any at all?[/QUOTE]

How hard is it to find any other Nippon Ichi release other than Disgaea?

Pretty damn easy. If anything, they will overproduce because they know demand is there.

Like others, I'm hoping NIS / Doublejump ship a few days before release so we can get ours pretty close to the release date, similar to how Overstock ships preordered DVD's a few days before hand so you get them close to their release date on Tuesday.

[quote name='hohez']NIS doesn't have to rely on Atlus anymore. Hell a local Hastings in a small east Texas town has Phantom Brave, Makai, and Atelier Iris 2 in stock. D2 will be plentiful.[/quote] That's what you think. The RPG/strategy RPG genre isn't exactly huge, unless it's from SquEnix, and NIS America is not that big of a company.

I'm not saying that it'll become rare in a few years, but I definitely don't see Disgaea 2 being "plentiful" in a few years either.

Of course, we're all speculating.. nobody here, unless you're linked to NIS America, knows how many copies are going to be released.

[quote name='chaarlieee']This morning I got an email from NIS America saying that my order shipped. I ordered the Complete set.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, my order from Doublejump is still "Processing".

I guess I'll get this in October sometime, no rush since I've got Saints Row to play.

[quote name='Roufuss']How hard is it to find any other Nippon Ichi release other than Disgaea?

Pretty damn easy. If anything, they will overproduce because they know demand is there.

Like others, I'm hoping NIS / Doublejump ship a few days before release so we can get ours pretty close to the release date, similar to how Overstock ships preordered DVD's a few days before hand so you get them close to their release date on Tuesday.[/quote] How many print runs did Disgaea have? 2 or 3? But it's still hard to find and it's still selling for $100+ on eBay.

I think the same thing might eventually happen to Disgaea 2.

[quote name='chaarlieee']How many print runs did Disgaea have? 2 or 3? But it's still hard to find and it's still selling for $100+ on eBay.

I think the same thing might eventually happen to Disgaea 2.[/quote]
Nippon Ichi games are much easier to find than Atlus published games. Also, one reason the first is going for so much right now is because the 2nd one is coming out soon. Exactly like how the Silent Hill games' prices sky rocketed when the movie came out.

Hopefully, the first game will continue to hold value even though the second game seems to rated lower. EGM didn't think it was as good but Play loved it. The only thing is that Play loves EVERY RPG that's come out since the magazine started.

i love that this ships the same week i start school.. it'll probably get lost in the busyness

Anyone pick up their copy today? I got mine. GS where I reserved it only got 6 copies in.

I am reminded of how freaking fun and deep this game is. It's a welcome change of pace from Stella Deus, which is just so painfully slow paced.

Pretty good IGN review (8.5):

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/729/729197p1.html

There's a lot of detail in there that makes no sense to me (having not played Disgaea), but it looks like a good review if you are familiar with the first game as they make quite a few detailed comparisons.

I haven't played ANY strat RPG's except Fire Emblem so I'm hoping I like this. I have the first one but haven't played it. I will probably hold off for the PSP version of that - plus that gives me an excuse to play 2 right now instead of waiting till I finish the first. If I did that I'd probably never play either :rofl:.

As soon as I finish up the Character Quests in Tales of Legendia I'm going to give Disgaea 2 a shot (after I pick up my EB preorder later today).

EDIT-
Oh, and CAG's very own ViolentLee gives it a 4.5/5:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamereview?cid=1951277567&tab=reviews&page=0&eid=479180

Doublejump shipped my order of the ultimate bundle or whatever it was called... this game is gonna be awesome... and I can probably stop looking for the first game now since the PSP version might come to the US.

I like how they weren't lazy and didn't just use the same character sheets from the first game. With certain exceptions like some monsters and prinnies, the other classes have gotten upgrades as far as their design. See the Thief for proof of this.

I officially love how they changed most of the animations for moves from the first game. The new version of Triple Strike is awesome. Definitely already love this game so far only an hour and a half in.

Well, now the eventual question that will surface: what version of a character did you like better: their Disgaea 1 incarnation or Disgaea 2 one? Red Skulls in part 1 are a striking contrast to part 2, in the vein that they have a face now. I always did like the whole scarecrowesque feel of D1's Skulls and yes I made it up to the Star Skull. I think what I plan on doing for D2 is getting one male mage and one female mage, take them through each job of their mage breed and make them magic powerhouses.

If anybody missed out on the artbook and haven't bought the set yet and WANT the artbook, I'm selling my set for exactly what it cost me. You probably already know that the artbook was limited and is no longer available.

PM if interested.

pleasantly surprised with this.. probably the first strat RPG i'll really get into. Nevver could find the first game..

Anyone got it yet? Is it still slow paced and dull? The item world was terrible, I was sad to see that it was still there. I liked phantom brave so much more with the quick combat and free range movement.

eh, not interesting, i got the first at launch, and while the story was awesome, it's seriously impossible to beat the game unless you spend hours, upon hours power-levelling...so yea :p, got tired of it

[quote name='daschrier']Anyone got it yet? Is it still slow paced and dull? The item world was terrible, I was sad to see that it was still there. I liked phantom brave so much more with the quick combat and free range movement.[/quote]
The item world is where you do all your significant leveling. If you're not a fan of devoting hours to simply leveling up your characters, then this game isn't for you.

The games have gotten significantly more streamlined and quicker as time has progressed. La Pucelle was painfully slow.

Maybe I'm just handy at these things, but you should be able to play all of the NIS games like a standard RPG with minimal leveling as long as you dont hit the extras.

I'm already on my 2nd playthrough, having gotten a bad ending early on. I only had two hours played and I lost in a battle and the ending credits came up. Dah well...

So how is the game so far? I should have it waiting for me tomorrow so I just need to find out if I should really set aside some time soon to play this.

[quote name='Chacrana']So how is the game so far? I should have it waiting for me tomorrow so I just need to find out if I should really set aside some time soon to play this.[/QUOTE]

Fair warning, there are some long scenes in the beginning when all you want to do is fight.

Is it worth leveling up items that aren't super rare or Legendary? I'm scared of those damn pirates that appear randomly. Luckily I've been able to run to the gate before they get close.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Holy shit. GS/EB just pushed the price of the first Disgaea to $69.99.
Thank God I bought it for $59.99 last week.[/QUOTE]

No fucking way! I bought a used copy in mid-July for $45 ($40.49 after Edge). It was disc-only and quite dirty so I almost passed. But it cleaned up well and after an email to Atlus I was able to order a new insert and manual for $6 shipped (and I have plenty of new cases). Now I'm waiting for the PSP version anyway... I guess they are just trying to take advantage of 2 being out. I hope they at least bump up the trade-in price to match.

[quote name='io']No fucking way! I bought a used copy in mid-July for $45 ($40.49 after Edge). It was disc-only and quite dirty so I almost passed. But it cleaned up well and after an email to Atlus I was able to order a new insert and manual for $6 shipped (and I have plenty of new cases). Now I'm waiting for the PSP version anyway... I guess they are just trying to take advantage of 2 being out. I hope they at least bump up the trade-in price to match.[/quote]
The website says the trade in value is still $30.
What fuckers.

[quote name='sprintsucks5892']Holy shit. GS/EB just pushed the price of the first Disgaea to $69.99.
Thank God I bought it for $59.99 last week.[/QUOTE]

holy shit indeed!
fuck ebgames/gamestop for charging so much (for a copy that is probably disc only and scratched up) and giving ridiculously low trade in prices on used games (for the most part).

bread's done
Back