Official E74 Error tracking post

mzbagel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
As has been noted on the CAG Cast, on Joystiq, and numerous other outlets, the E74 error is now looking to be the next RRoD. I'm hoping to track how many CAGs have experienced this error and see if we can do something to have Microsoft take notice and extend the 3yr warranty to cover E74 as well as RRoD.

My sad, sad story:
After playing like a dream for the last 2.5 years, my 360 just E74'ed after a three hour gaming session of Fallout 3. I started to see some strange artifacts as certain effects (reflections from glass for example) began forming crosshatch/moire type patterns where they were being applied. Note that my 360 is well ventilated and has never had a problem with overheating. The next time I turned it on (16 hours later) the E74 error popped up. I've tried re-seating the AV cable, replacing the cable, removing the hard drive, unplugging, etc... All to no avail. Share your sad stories here.

I owned two previous 360's that had this same error. This was before the NXE update and at the time no one seemed to know what caused the error. It wasn't widely publicized like it is now. The worst part is that it was only one red ring and not three and of course Microsoft would not cover it under their warranty only the three red rings applied. Lucky for me, I had the BB warranty which let me just swap it out for a new one.

But if this is such a common error now, we need some answers from Microsoft or at least another 3 year warranty to cover this error. I mean I just got one of the new RE5 Elite systems and I'm really hoping that E74 error doesn't come back to haunt me.

E74 is and easy fix just like the RROD and are related, and yes warranty should cover this error, but it wont cause its all about money just like everything else.
Its just Planned obsolescence at work. deal with it or step up and try to make a change.

I accidentally voted for E74 and no NXE, but I got an E74 error after NXE- memory lapse there, I suppose.

But yeah, my 360 got the E74 in mid December, after owning it for a little over a year.

[quote name='CAG 79']I owned two previous 360's that had this same error. This was before the NXE update and at the time no one seemed to know what caused the error. It wasn't widely publicized like it is now. The worst part is that it was only one red ring and not three and of course Microsoft would not cover it under their warranty only the three red rings applied. Lucky for me, I had the BB warranty which let me just swap it out for a new one.

But if this is such a common error now, we need some answers from Microsoft or at least another 3 year warranty to cover this error. I mean I just got one of the new RE5 Elite systems and I'm really hoping that E74 error doesn't come back to haunt me.[/QUOTE]

Weird. I also had the E74 error prior to the NXE update, but when I called they sent us a coffin. They even asked for the exact error and follow some troubleshooting guides. In short, we got another 360 (refurbished). People DID know what caused the error, which had to do with some video chip, and people WERE getting these errors. Some may have got them confused with the red ring. I got the error in Dec 07, and an actual RRoD on Dec 08. Just to throw it out there, some referred it to 1RRoD before this story came out. Also, my 360 didn't show any notable visual differences when the error popped up.

I think it's just as prevalent now than it was the last two years, it was just overshadowed by the RRoDs.

Umm... I had this happen to me a couple of times in February or March (soon after the NXE update)

What did I do? I kept on restarting my console, around 5 times, until it would finally boot up normally.

The E74 error popped up on around 4 different occasions and I just kept on rebooting until my 360 worked. It's almost April now and I haven't seen the error in a long time, everything seems to be working fine.

Not sure if I should bother sending it in now, since it is working fine, but it does have the warranty for like another 6 months. (I don't want to send it in and then get a crappy 360 back that has no HDMI port and will red ring on me in 10 minutes)

I had it happen to me twice last week on my 3 1/2 month old 360. But since then its been fine. I too keep mine well ventilated, its sitting near my 7 year old ps2 that has never had a problem. My 360 will have to totally lock up or rrod before i call MS, will just keep restarting whenever i have the prob again..

Mine happened close to the beginning of Feburary if I remember correctly. It killed my 360 and the only way I the red light did not appear was if the av cables weren't connected. I've always had it in a location that gets plenty of ventilation; on top of my entertainment center.

I got the E-74 last week. Tried constantly turning it on and off, didnt work.

Followed a guide I found online a couple days back, it said its to find out whether its the actual video chip or the video adapter outlet.

I unplugged every accessory and just left the power cable plugged in, it booted up and the light stayed green. I connected the video cables (tried both component and HDMI) and after a couple secs, the red light would start flashing and the E-74 code came up.

So i think in my case its the video output device, not the chip. Ima give a call to the support center when i get a free day and find out whats goin on

PS: Im past the 12month warranty period so im SOL if they decide to charge me.

I got the E74 2 days ago on my 2 year old 360. I've never had problems before this, but my 360 is dead. It refuses to come on no matter what I try. It's stupid though, if it had red ringed it would be covered by warranty, but because it's only one red ring it's $100 dollars to get it repaired. :roll:

Something I would like to know is if the E74 error affects HDMI systems more than the older ones.

I had a Halo 3 HDMI system give me the E74 error last August - obviously before the NXE update.

I'm thinking that all of the systems failing after the NXE update might just a coincidence and this might be an hardware problem with HDMI systems specifically. E74 specifies an error with the video output hardware, so maybe HDMI systems put extra strain on it or something.

It just doesn't seem to me like the NXE is the real cause of this.

My old, once red ringed 2006 made xbox got the E74 about a month ago, now I'm running a cooler, quieter HDMI Arcade 360 and so far, so good.

[quote name='Redrazorback']I got the E74 2 days ago on my 2 year old 360. I've never had problems before this, but my 360 is dead. It refuses to come on no matter what I try. It's stupid though, if it had red ringed it would be covered by warranty, but because it's only one red ring it's $100 dollars to get it repaired. :roll:[/quote]

funny to cause the fix for both RROD and E74 are pretty much the same, E74 is just a bit more serious.

My brother in law got the E74 error. He had the NXE update and his xbox was one year and one day old (repair center repaired it for free anyways :)).

I got this error about six months ago. I just called up MS and told them it was three red rings and they fixed it no problem. Its been working fine ever since.

I had the E74 twice (launch date console and refurb replacement) and both times it was repaired under the 3 red rings repair. Both started locking up and freezing and then the dreaded black E-74 screen would show up. Sometimes I could reboot and it would start up, but eventually they'd die.

The newer arcade consoles I have now have never had any E74 issues.

I had an E74 on my falcon unit about a month ago. Since it was out of warranty, I cracked it open and did a RROD fix. When I booted it up after applying the fix, the E74 went away. I then overheated it to get the GPU reflowed and its started showing graphical artifacts, etc. After 10 minutes, the picture was normal. After I let it cool down, I fired it up again and played around 3-4 hours worth of games and it works perfectly.

I just fixed my E74 issues. It was easy, but it's not for the feint of heart. My original Xbox 360 was purchased at launch, and RRODd before Christmas that year. I then had the RROD on the replacement just before Halo 3 launched. Finally, some point earlier this year, I started getting the E74 update. After enough retries, I could get it to start, but I could see that the graphics in games like Halo 3 and GoW2 were "messed up." I ended up doing the xclamp replacement procedure, and I'm back in business.

bread's done
Back